PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Rename Games

Second
03-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Simple wish!

It would be really, really nice to edit, i.e. be able to give your own names to the games in your Steam games, including 3rd party mods. This would allow us to clear away extra clutter and customize our games window to better meet our own preferences.

You could think of the Steam games window as comparable to browser bookmarks! It's quite natural to be able to edit them. Steam should naturally remember these settings even after a game has been updated! Maybe a folder-based look-up? :) Thanks for listening!

TF2Fan
03-26-2008, 10:46 AM
But why would you want to change names of the games?

What are you going to do? Change "Counter-Strike" to "Valve crappy overrated boring FPS"???

I dont think this is necessary. Steam is not meant to be personalised

kinkoblast
03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
then why is there a skin option?

Second
03-26-2008, 11:37 AM

What are you going to do? Change "Counter-Strike" to "Valve crappy overrated boring FPS"???

Thanks for your opinion on CS:S :D I don't need to change everything, that's a strawman argument! Just a few aesthetic bits here and there.

To give you a real-world example, as proposed here in this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566564), you can probably see that owning "Dark Messiah Might and Magic Multi-Player" and "Dark Messiah Might and Magic Single Player" is not that cool, there's a difference in spelling, the titles take up a lot of space and in generally it's just not very aesthetic.

Many mod authors add version numbers to their games, I don't need to see those, they should be behind the "Properties" window. That's another feature request, though.

I know plenty of people who care little for the Start menus on XP, for instance, but I sort & name everything I have manually. It's not a big feature, and like kinkoblast says, Steam is indeed meant to be customized, like a web browser.

I think the web browser analogy - with bookmarks comparable to the games in your list - is great. Looking it like that, I don't understand why there's no rename!

beatsnpieces
03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
I as well would love to see this implemented. The other thing that bothers me is that if you add non Steam games (and mods) to the list it will start listing them alphabetically AFTER all the games purchased on Steam, I would like to see them added in alphabetically with everything else.

ReBoot
03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Don't like it. Why in hell should someone be able to rename the stuff he's playing? Would make it impossible to see what someone on your Friends list is playing.

Second
03-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Don't like it. Why in hell should someone be able to rename the stuff he's playing? Would make it impossible to see what someone on your Friends list is playing.

You need to use common sense and think of the bookmark analogy again! :) If you title http://www.steampowered.com/ "Steam" in your bookmarks, I call it "Steam Home" and Valve titles it "Welcome to Steam", we still all go to the same web page when we click the link.

Naturally this renaming feature will not affect what Steam transmits off to other players - a purely local database will do.

beatsnpieces' point about non-Steam games is excellent, too.

CambridgeGuy
03-28-2008, 09:15 AM
The other thing that bothers me is that if you add non Steam games (and mods) to the list it will start listing them alphabetically AFTER all the games purchased on Steam, I would like to see them added in alphabetically with everything else.

By default Steam sorts by status. notice a little arrow beside the word status at the top of your games list. just click on "games" to sort alphabetically, as u desire.

joachimeberhard
03-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Since Valve themselves can't seem to agree on a consistent naming sceme, I support this feature.

I always thought they'd name games in roman numerals in the store, and arabic numerals in Steam itself.

But now they name it Unreal 2 in the Store, but Unreal II in Steam.

I'm getting increased problems in agreeing on the sceme behind this, or let's just say, I'd finally hope Valve makes someone within their company responsible for these things.

Stores & Collections need to be as shiny as possible for additional sales & customer satisfaction!

stranded
03-29-2008, 02:58 PM
In Source mods look for "gameinfo.txt" and change the game's name

Second
03-31-2008, 05:21 PM

This is a good tip, of course, but in my view - especially judging from the amount of new releases on Steam recently (see joachimeberhard's post) - does not nearly remove the need for the rename feature :)

BenneYates
04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
"Yo, i played this wicked game at my friends house, it's called AWPwn'ing, it's a lot like CS but it runs better"

"OH MAN, it comes with an aimbot too"

Second
04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
"Yo, i played this wicked game at my friends house, it's called AWPwn'ing, it's a lot like CS but it runs better"

"OH MAN, it comes with an aimbot too"

I haven't the faintest idea what this is related to, are you worried that customized titles will cause confusion? :)

nabeelburney
04-28-2008, 04:30 AM
I agree with this proposition. The game browser makes things very convenient for launching games, and so it should be tuned to that purpose in every way including customisability of appearance.

Second
05-23-2008, 08:16 AM
At this stage I'd also point out that you can already edit the properties of any non-Steam games added to the Steam games browser. It's not a long step from here!

If the developers are afraid Steam users would "break" something with the feature, perhaps there should be a "revert" feature that would return the renamed entitites to their normal state?

Tony Almeida
05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
I would also like this feature, it's a nice one that don't seem overly complicated.

5UB
05-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Lots of people have been complaining about the consitant in games/community. So this would solve that issue, and it gives users to be able customise their games further. As long changing the name does not affect the community, so their friends do not see the changes then that would be good, just like when you skin your own Steam client, no one else see's it apart from the user.

Second
06-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Lots of people have been complaining about the consitant in games/community. So this would solve that issue, and it gives users to be able customise their games further. As long changing the name does not affect the community, so their friends do not see the changes then that would be good, just like when you skin your own Steam client, no one else see's it apart from the user.

Yes! I completely agree in that the renaming feature should stay 'offline', only visible to the client.

I bet some people already have incredible Steam catalogues with an endless amount of games and in those instances you just want to have a bit more control :)

choperdown
12-29-2009, 10:17 AM
can i, u noe, when i play asd, i want my friend see me playing zxc

5UB
12-29-2009, 11:09 AM
What was the point in this bump?

DJJoeJoe
03-01-2011, 03:58 AM
I'd like to see this implemented, simply because some game's have terrible naming schemes in some situations. I have the Splinter Cell collection and because I don't want to have steam too wide I end up only seeing a list of 4 titles that only show 'Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: ...' and it completely cuts off the 'actual' name of the specific game. I'd like to be able to rename each to their name, without the stupid tom clancy part, or even the splinter cell part if need be. I shouldn't have to resort to editing text files either it should be as easy as it is for none steam games.

Also:

That only seems to work for Portal and a few 'tools' like the source kit thing. There is no gameinfo.txt file in ANY other game folder in steam to edit, sadly.

snapjak
03-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Wow, that's some necro and a half there.

Your quoted text is for MODS, not actual releases, and that's info from 2008. It's something that mod makers would put in themselves.

ngedude99
03-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I would really, REALLY, like to see this implemented. As I own the Warhammer Dawn of War 2 games it is confusing to see which one is which on the listing.

All I see is:
WarhammerŽ 40,000Ž: Dawn of WarŽI...
WarhammerŽ 40,000Ž: Dawn of WarŽ...
WarhammerŽ 40,000Ž: Dawn of WarŽII

Now, I can tell which one the original DOWII is, but as to which one is the expansion and which is Retribution, I have no immediate clue. If I could manually rename them to W40K DOWII then whatever version it is, I would be much happier.

cylon
03-03-2011, 06:28 AM
If it' not done after3 years, can't see it happening.

Two points:

1) If someone is playing "shooty death game", they could be playing Left4Dead and i could of joined them in the game, only i dont know they're playing it because they have changed the name.

2) Its bad enough people playing 'non steam game: Your mothers face' or similar, i don't need loads of official steam games with "hilarious" names to do with bottoms or mothers or similar :P

KaySakura
07-25-2011, 03:08 PM
I would like at least a user side name change options (so it wont affect what it shows I am playing) Mainly I want this because this is what I see:

Alien Breed 2: Assault
Alien Breed: Impact

"Impact" is the first in the series, and I feel it should be shown above "Assault" which is the second. Changing it to "Alien Breed - Impact" would fix this not to mention this is actually what it is called in-game.

Teh_Guy
07-25-2011, 11:12 PM
then why is there a skin option?

for customization instead of personalization?

jaml
07-26-2011, 03:54 AM
1) Add a Non-Steam Game...
2) Browse to Steam game's launcher in steamapps\common
3) Properties -> rename shortcut
4) ????
5) Profit!

Toad213
07-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Yeah, why would you need to change the game names? unless maybe just for mods

KaySakura
07-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, why would you need to change the game names? unless maybe just for mods

Read my above post for answer to this question.

The Relentless
07-26-2011, 08:49 PM

I want to scroll down to my G's and find Ghost Recon. I want to scroll to my S's and find Splinter Cell. I find it annoying having them all lumped under the T's for Tom Clancy's XXXXX.

And this VVVVVVVVVVV

Alien Breed 2: Assault
Alien Breed: Impact

"Impact" is the first in the series, and I feel it should be shown above "Assault" which is the second. Changing it to "Alien Breed - Impact" would fix this not to mention this is actually what it is called in-game.

chyron8472
08-10-2011, 01:39 AM
I would also like this to be implemented. It would make it possible to better organize games. Certain games that are in a series whose game titles do not start with the series name do not organize properly by the series' volume number nor are necessarily grouped together.

Case in point, my Steam Library lists the following:

Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
[various other game titles]
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

SoMI:SE is Monkey Island 1, and I would certainly appreciate being able to list it next (and immediately prior) to Monkey Island 2.

Now, don't tell me to organize my games by using series names as categories. That wouldn't help.

Gimme5
08-10-2011, 11:37 AM
This will only encourage people to fake Episode 3.

YAGDMS
08-10-2011, 12:10 PM

You can fake it now.

Idea would be nice.

Mr.SwingKing
08-14-2011, 10:48 AM
bumpedy boo

Acetyl
08-14-2011, 11:18 AM

Because you know, its a huge issue when someone fakes playing HL3 and their gullible friends freak out about it.

Zedo Mann
08-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I do not want this.
It will create confusion.

T@F
08-14-2011, 01:16 PM
I do not want this.
It will create confusion.

How would it?
At the mo games list is messed up because of the word The.

Then maybe give us an option to move games up and down the list.
As my monkey island 2 is not below monkey island ect ect.
So sequels are all over the place in my list.

And no i do not want to set category's last time i spent hours doing that,only for it to go back to default after new update.
Also it looks ugly tbh.

chyron8472
08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Couldn't it be possible, for the sake of confusion, to rename a Steam game for yourself but when other users are notified it would always display the default game title?

zadok0
08-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I also would like to see this feature as a method of locally or through the steam cloud 'nicknaming' the games in our library.

Various uses I see are:

The ability to list games in favorite order i.e. 1. Team Fortress 2, 2. Left 4 Dead 2, etc.

Rename Games to fit release order or relevance i.e. Warhammer 40,000 series should be Dawn of War 2 Vanilla -> Chaos Rising -> Retribution but instead is listed as Retribution -> Dawn of War 2 Vanilla -> Chaos Rising.

The most basic use would be to remove erroneous data, such as extended titles or mod version numbers.

+1 from me in support of this.

bertrand0
10-22-2011, 06:56 PM
+1

It is annoying to see only "warhammer(r) 40,000: Dawn ..." repeated 7 times.
And please, please refrain from talking about those stupid pranks with the fake names: we just want to shorten the names IN THE GAME BROWSER. It has absolutely nothing to do with the currently played game notice.

And I would like to get rid of those stupid (r) and (tm) symbols which have no use in a shortcut (besides eating space...)

EndlessRain3000
12-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Three years... I really hope Steam will seriously consider.
Just put on a coat, friends still see the default name.
QICQ in China has been achieved.

kyojinmaru
11-22-2012, 06:38 PM
I want this.

I'm tired of "Dark Messiah Might and Magic Single-Player", "WarhammerŽ 40,000™: Dawn of WarŽ II - Retribution" and ♥♥♥♥ty names like those.

Captain Morti
11-22-2012, 06:39 PM
/agree