PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking fall damage?

whuppins
03-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Short version: Can a TF2 map declare its own fall damage rules?

I had an idea for a TF2 map that used drastic changes in elevation to force the player to make decisions about how to move through the battlefield. Without going into much detail, teams would spawn in a 'high' part of the map, then would have to get down to the 'low' area of the map in order to start capturing CPs. I wanted to present the option of jumping directly down (into water) instead of taking ramps, but with the risk of dying if the jumper missed his mark and landed on the ground.

I guess I just never noticed it while playing, but it takes one heck of a fall to kill you if you start with 100% health. You have to just freefall for like 15 seconds in order to die outright. Technically, I could build a monumentally tall level that would have a deadly drop, but having such a severe difference in elevation would really ruin all the other aspects of gameplay. And I don't want to just make the floor around the water kill you; I want it to be safely walkable at all times. I know there are a few things you can do to alter gravity, but I don't want to do that either. I really just want to have the game play the exact same way it usually does, but with players not being able to survive falls from such ridiculous heights. So, is it possible to build a map with ramped-up fall damage built in?

haymaker
03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
You can't just use trigger_hurt?

whuppins
03-29-2008, 08:37 AM
You can't just use trigger_hurt?

Wouldn't that just hurt anyone who walked on the area, as opposed to only those who had fallen from a great distance?

haymaker
03-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Yes there is that problem. I was thinking it was an inaccesible area for some reason...

Having said that i tried to defeat fall damage in an hl2dm map, a friend figured out a way using entities but it was quite convoluted and I was suspicious it would lag a server. There is no way that I could find to alter it server-side either.

What if you raised the trigger_hurt above the level of the lower player's reach? That would be the simplest though a hit on percieved reality. Or you could put a trigger to deal damage a microsecond later too.

whuppins
03-29-2008, 04:37 PM
That's pretty clever and I could probably get it to work in other situations, but owing to the way the map is designed, it wouldn't work in my case. The main reason is that players will be able to jump from a number of different heights, so not every jump would kill -- just the ones from the very top. No way to model that from what I can tell. You'd also have to worry about scouts who wouldn't be able to use the double-jump to avoid fall damage -- though if you ask me, that move is hax anyway :) Thanks for the ideas.