PDA

View Full Version : convertor MAX(or any model program) to VMF

Sentinel3d
04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
hi!
i want to create my own mod... i gathered al kinds of information (storyline, ideas and stuff), but now i get to the point of creation levels.

in RL i'm a moddeler for all kinds of things... my primary moddeling programm is 3D studio Max.
Now i am wondering if there is any possibility to create maps in MAX and convert/import them in to Hammer... because i can create maps much faster and better in max than in hammer.

maybe it's an idea to create some kind of import module in hammer for any kind of model program
(in what kind of program do the official HalfLife people create their maps?)

DarthCento
04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
for xsi mod tool (free) there is a valve source plugin that imports and exports vmf files

Snipergen
04-07-2008, 06:24 AM
The maps are made with hammer editor, thats in the source sdk set in your steam tools tab.
Valve modelled in XSI I think but I use 3DsMax myself too for my custom content and I use the wunderboy plugin to export my SMD's.

Stick to this method, dont map in max, model in max. Map in hammer.

Chris528
04-08-2008, 01:39 AM
You should try game level builder 2.2 from maple3d.com under the download section. It's a free plugin for 3ds max that allows you to export convex geometry in the .map format. First open the .map with hammer 3.4 and save as .rmf then open in hammer 4.1. You still need hammer in order to place entities, texture the geometry and compile the level.

http://maple3d.com

Sentinel3d
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
this is verry usefull! thanks folks