PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about Offline Mode & "Standalone" retail discs.

AisuSeijin
04-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Hello,

Before you flame me or ask, yes, I've read several topics regarding offline mode. Some of them not really too clear as people usually just post a topic about one specific thing they're having trouble with, and not really the whole of the situation. I've also read the page on the Steam Support page.

Now, I don't have a problem with Steam being a service that verifies accounts and the fact that you actually paid for a game. Requiring the internet to verify that a game was actually registered and paid for is a perfectly fine idea... But the way Steam itself controls this system is rather... unique, to put it kindly.

According to what I've figured out... Steam doesn't want to just verify that you paid and own the game just once... It wants to do it... Everytime you wish to play the game. You'd think once is a enough, but apparently not. However, Steam, in it's ingenious nature, is kind enough to provide the ability to play these games offline.

But, wait a second. Just how does Steam allow you to play games offline? Well, if I got this straight, this is how it works:

1) You connect to the internet each time you want to play the game.
2) You're give the ability to then put Steam in "Offline" mode, to play a game.
3) You run the game "Offline."
4) If you wish to close Steam, restart your computer, or wish to NEVER connect to the internet ever again, you're out of luck, as Steam forgets that you connected to the internet to confirm you actually own the game the next time you want to play.

So basically, you need to BE ONLINE, TO PLAY OFFLINE. That doesn't make any sense and just basically defies the purpose of an "offline mode," because you actually need to be online in order to play offline, everytime you want to play.

I personally have no problem with this, and although I think Steam itself is a very... unnecessary system, I don't mind using it as I'm connected to the internet 24/7.

However, I do have several friends interested in playing Portal. I was discussing with one of them in which how the Steam service works, he thought the system was fine as long as it only checked once that the game was paid for, but doesn't have an internet connection always available if it was "one of those systems that forces you to play only if you have the internet."

So, I suggested they wait until the retail, DVD-ROM "standalone" version comes out. It came out, alright. I bought the Orange Box in full (after already buying Portal itself via Steam) and the "standalone" version of just Portal for the PC, for my friend. When I got home, I decided to pop in the Orange Box and install the other games, like Half-Life 2, etc. When the auto-start comes up, it has the options "PLAY, REINSTALL, UNINSTALL" ... Wait, Re-install? I haven't installed it ye... oh, wait. IT RECOGNIZES STEAM! So, apparently, the DISC versions, require that you install the Steam service, create a steam subscription... and, again, STILL VERIFY THE GAMES YOU JUST BOUGHT, EVERYTIME YOU RUN THEM. I'm guessing the same is with the separate version of Portal.

So, let me get this straight. The service of Steam is available to pay for and download various games via the internet. Sure, it's great for those who have constant access to the internet. However, some people have been stating that they have problems with the Steam service, or have stated that their internet connections aren't really that great and wish they had an alternative to the Steam service in order to acquire the games. So, what's released, months after the Orange Box is released, are DVD-ROM versions allowing people to purchase them in stores, with "standalone" versions of each game they desire, I.E. Portal. However, when you go to install the game, it gives you the same exact service you could've easily setup via the internet forcing you to use the same system and verfications that most people were trying to avoid.

I'm somewhat confused about this... I'm wondering if there's TRULY any (legitimate) way to play the games you acquired offline. What's odd is... Why, if you bought the game in the store, own the physical discs AND were asked to use the CD-KEY that came along with it... Why, why oh why are you forced to verify the game several times & use Steam in order to play the game. This... makes no sense. And these games truly aren't "standalone" if Steam needs to hold it's hand.

It would be much appreciated if anyone could help me in this matter... And if anyone from Steam/Valve can explain the "Offline... but really must be online to play offline" mode, that would be great as well. It would be really great, and we'd all love you forever, if Steam could be upgraded to truly play games offline. Also, what's the reason for requiring Steam / being connected to the internet... in order to play something you PHYSICALLY already paid for, and have the files themselves with you.

Why can't it just be easy and say, let us buy a game like Portal, pop in the disc, install the files... And click Portal.exe (Or in reality, hl2.exe) and avoid any non-sense and just let us play the game directly?

Thanks for your time, and in advance, and help you can give. Whatever replies given will help determine if I need to return the "standalone" version of Portal back to the store and tell me friend he's out of luck, or if I can turn this into a great experience for him, and get the game to work without all the non-sense and effort of having the internet all the time, and have him thinking with Portals.

kakkerlak
04-10-2008, 02:30 AM
start steam+portal online
exit steam
disable network conenction.
try offline mode

AisuSeijin
04-10-2008, 02:59 AM
start steam+portal online
exit steam
disable network conenction.
try offline mode

If you read what I wrote, you would've seen that I was well aware of this. I'm going to assume you just read the topic title and just guessed at why I was posting.

In case you missed it, doing exactly what you said, (exiting steam) then trying to run Portal, and using "Offline Mode" gives an error disallowing you to play it offline. (Until you verify your login with Steam again. Otherwise, the only way it'll let you play "offline" is when you first must connect online, defying the purpose of even having an "offline" mode.) Your only choice to play in offline mode with steam is to never close steam, EVER.

kakkerlak
04-10-2008, 03:06 AM
I read trough your blog an had a good laugh
I am not the one talking when I have no clue.

you also do not spot the difference in your method and mine
make sure the games work in online mode and exit steam
disable network connections
start steam in ofline mode and test game.
if it works you can exit and restart steam in offline mode al the time

AisuSeijin
04-10-2008, 03:12 AM
I read trough your blog an had a good laugh
I am not the one talking when I have no clue.

you also do not spot the difference in your method and mine
make sure the games work in online mode and exit steam
disable network connections
start steam in ofline mode and test game.
if it works you can exit and restart steam in offline mode al the time

I just told you (twice) that I was well aware of how to do this, and already have done it. (Also, the method I stated was Steam's method on how to properly play in offline mode.) I have tried this, and for a third time, I'll repeat, it does not work.

I notice you said "if it works" so you seem unsure of your advice. Let me clear it up for you, it doesn't work, which is the whole point of this thread.

kakkerlak
04-10-2008, 03:15 AM
no I am not unsure about the method I am unsure about steam.
the nature of steam is not offline.
it takes some work sometimes

edit:for me it works like a charm on 3 PC's.
no problems starting and playing in offline mode at all

exit steam delete the clientregestry.blob and try the method again

AisuSeijin
04-10-2008, 03:30 AM
no I am not unsure about the method I am unsure about steam.
the nature of steam is not offline.
it takes some work sometimes

edit:for me it works like a charm on 3 PC's.
no problems starting and playing in offline mode at all

exit steam delete the clientregestry.blob and try the method again

Did exactly what you said, and in all instances this is what pops up:

http://www.icesage.com/images/portal-nodice.jpg

kakkerlak
04-10-2008, 03:38 AM
make sure you start portal and play a little before switching to offline mode

AisuSeijin
04-10-2008, 04:02 AM
make sure you start portal and play a little before switching to offline mode

Already covered that step. I completely understand it 100%, the fact is, it simply does not work. The only time it does work is when you choose not to exit out of Steam.

kakkerlak
04-10-2008, 04:06 AM
does your mobo have the nvidia chipset by any chance?
it must be something that is running on your pc I can start steam+portal offline without problems

edit:also remove the screenshot.
next time edit out your account name in the picture.
it is a lot more secure
there is absolutly never a need to give the account name to anyone but valve support if you contact them.

AisuSeijin
04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
does your mobo have the nvidia chipset by any chance?
it must be something that is running on your pc I can start steam+portal offline without problems

edit:also remove the screenshot.
next time edit out your account name in the picture.
it is a lot more secure
there is absolutly never a need to give the account name to anyone but valve support if you contact them.

There's a 0% chance anyone will access my account, trust me. Thanks for your concern. Also, it's not that hard if anyone decided they wanted to take over my account anyway if people guessed. I keep my computer and all accounts I have 100% secure. (I also play WoW, where it's advised you don't post your account name in public as well, in 6 years I've never had any breach of my account.)

Also, my forum login name is my account name, (by default) so it's not exactly like it's a secret, and a monkey could figure it out.

I don't use NVIDIA, I use ATI Radeon.

Thanks for your help, though, kakkerlak.

kakkerlak
04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
there is no need to post a steam account name and it is 50% of your account login.
I have strong passwords but would never do it.

I asked for the motherboards chipset not about your video card chipset manufacturer

nyran125
01-03-2010, 05:22 PM
there is no need to post a steam account name and it is 50% of your account login.
I have strong passwords but would never do it.

I asked for the motherboards chipset not about your video card chipset manufacturer

people like you irritate the HELL out of me. Im having the EXACT same issue as the original poster. What he is basically saying is he registered ALL his games online and wanted to play the games OFFLINE for the rest of his life, as an example, without internet. NOW HERES THE FRIGGIN PROBLEM HE AND MILLIONS OF OTHERS HAVE.
IF he never EVER wants to go on the internet EVER again after he connecte dthat one time with the game he wants to play that he purchased FROM steam and wants to play his steam games he PURCHASED FROM STEAM, offline, without internet for the next 3 months, he CANNOT DO SO. Because STEAM keeps wanting to check your log on information which it DELETES or CHANGEs or does some wierd ♥♥♥♥ like it has a timer or something , if you arent on the internet after awhile. IF you do not have the internet, you cant connect to delete client registry blob in order for you to get your log on information saved again.

If you cant get your log on information , you CANT play OFFLINE , so valve says you only have to connect to steam ONCE with that game but that is NOT the case at all. You have to connect to steam on the internet everytime you turn your friggin computer off to play offline mode. SO what the original poster was implying is its not really an offline mode because you need to be online ALL the time to constantly delete your client registry blob if it screws up with your log on information. I HATE THIS SYSTEM FOR OFFLINE MODE AND iT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. Steam should just stay OFFLINE once i validate my games and if i want it to be offline FOREVER i should be able to do so after i validated it.

kakkerlak
01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
glad to be of service.
but what exactly does it have to do with my quote that was about something else?

DimakAto1140
10-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Remember the good old days when you could install a game off a cd and no one cared if you had internet or not? All you needed was a cd key and a computer. I'm a student and unfortunately I'm broke this semester and don't have internet unless I go to the library (where I am now). The fact that I can't install any pc games on my computer at home without an internet connection is practically discrimination. I just want to play a game our two. I got Rage as a gift and I feel terrible because I can't play it. My brother wasted his money.

Simian_
10-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Start steam. Open settings. On the account tab make sure there is no check mark next to "Don't save account credentials on this computer"

Click OK. Now from the steam menu, select "change user". It will ask you to verify that you want to logout. Agree. Type in your login information. Place a check in the box that says "Remember my password". Click the "Login" button. Wait for it to finish logging you in. Now quit steam.

Disconnect your internet. Now start steam. It will ask you if you want to go into offline mode. It should work fine now.

You should not need to plan in advance when you want to play offline. You should not have to connect online to restart into offline mode. If you do, you're having connection issues or are experiencing a bug. Either way, contact support. Be ready for a lot of canned messages. That's what they do. Just be persistent, be patient, be very clear and detailed, and don't get angry. Be mature, be polite, and be respectful.