PDA

View Full Version : Change directory of Sound Resource Browser

Martjuhh
04-13-2008, 04:35 AM
To load a VCD file in the Hammer Editor, you have to browse one with the Sound Resource Browser, but I can't find these files on my computer, so I can't add my own VCD file to play. Does anyone know where that directory is?

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/1525/browserwo6.png

Craziestdan
04-13-2008, 07:14 AM
the default ones (valve ones) are all storedn in the GCF files located in steamapps

well i did just wake up :D so i need reminding what a VCD file is again lol
but all the sound files are in the GCF files, in the steamapps folder, you'll need GCF scape to do it, all the sounds are in there, but to add your own... is this for a mod??? or not???

Varsity
04-13-2008, 08:19 AM
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Scenes.image

Martjuhh
04-13-2008, 08:43 AM
the default ones (valve ones) are all storedn in the GCF files located in steamapps

well i did just wake up so i need reminding what a VCD file is again lol
but all the sound files are in the GCF files, in the steamapps folder, you'll need GCF scape to do it, all the sounds are in there, but to add your own... is this for a mod??? or not???

It's just for the standard Half Life 2 Episode 2 (not making a mod, i'm a beginner ;))

So the only thing I need to know is where I should store the file, so that I can select it in the browser.

Craziestdan
04-13-2008, 09:45 AM
hmm, well when you say beginner i get the impression you got a wrong idea about adding your own sound. do you know what VCD's are?? i cant remember what they stand for but i know what they mean, they are choreographe scenes i believe, they are used in creation of choreographe, choreographe is used for scenes like npcs talking in a scene using lip synch, lip synch is basicly their lips moving in response to the scene. but i get the feeling your talking about your own 'sounds' not VCD, sounds as in music, or sound effects, atmospheres, all the stuff you'l find in the browser for the ambient generic, if you are on about just sounds then once you have your sound that you made, in either a mp3 or wav format, either one is fine, but mp3s are not previewable in hammer only wavs are, when you have your own file then place the mp3 or wav file in the following directory: Steam/SteamApps/<username>/Half - Life 2/HL2/sound/

i recommend making it wav, coz mp3 is just mainly used for songs. ps, when you place a wav file in that directory, when you browse for it in hammer, in the filter section, search for it in raw format, then you should find it, and remember one thing - that files you make cant have spaces or full stops etc, they need to be kept simple either like, mysound or my_sound1

now, if you were actually talking about choreographe, then hers the very start place to start on a long adventure to learn it,

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Choreography_creation#Before_you_start

but you dont have to always make your own VCD files, you can use the valve ones that valve used in the half-life 2 games, then try the following:

(plz note i did not type up the following, i copy/pasted it from a friedn who helped me out on this, so dont credit me :D )

you're going to need GCFScape

once you have that installed go to your Steam\steamapps directory, and you should see a bunch of purple cube icons if you let gcfscape associate .gcf files with itself (recommended). search for the one called half-life 2 content.gcf. double click on it (if you associated the files, otherwise launch GCFScape, go to open, and brose to that location). the GCFScape window will pop up. this is your view into the half-life 2 filesystem. in the pane on the left you should see:

..-root
....+hl2
....+reslists

expand hl2 and expand scenes under it. lets assume here that you want a scene from the barn part of HL2, and you want a male voice. to get there, expand coast/barn/male01 and pick one you like (hard to know what is what here which is why you should learn choreo, but this gives you a little insight into the filesystem, and should give you a little more understanding of how things work). let's say we picked drop_road.vcd. great. now what we want to do is go into hammer, and place a logic_choreographed_scene. in the file browser, type coast/barn/male01/drop_road.vcd (you won't be able to browse for it unless you extract the file and have it stored locally). be sure to set up a trigger for the scene, and an npc to act it out. in gcfscape, if you double click on the file you can open it (if it asks choose notepad). the second line in the file is

actor "!Target1"

this means that when you place your logic_choreographed_scene, you need to put the name of the NPC that you want to say this in the "Target 1" field.

you can download gcf scape here

http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?c=76

plz post to let me know if this helps or not :D

Martjuhh
04-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Yeh, it really helped :) Thanks a lot.

Craziestdan
04-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Yeh, it really helped :) Thanks a lot.

its cool :cool: , have fun with it ;)