PDA

View Full Version : alpha testing a MP mod

eljay_692005
05-24-2008, 01:34 AM
hi, I've been modding for a long time now but mostly in the art and level design areas. i cant work out how, when i have a basic MP mod all compiled and working, i play it multilayer over the internet. i can play LAN no problem, i tried setting up my router to be running a virtual server (or w/e) and i've port forwarded the way that www.portforward.com suggests to (in order to host hl2dm) but every time i start a game my friend on the other side is unable to join.
also, reading from console, shortly after it says i have been VAC authorized (or something like that) i "time out"
sorry that i don't really know what I'm talking about here, but if i did i wouldn't be asking :P.

Winston
05-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Are you using App ID 218? If so, you will VAC time-out when you set up an internet game unfortunately, and the only workaround for now is to use a different App ID (try 440 if you have TF2).

As for the game not showing up, thats another bug, once you're in a game, set sv_lan to 0, and then change level. If your router is set up right, it should now show up on the internet. Also, be sure to have the friend look in the Custom tab of the server browser. If that stuff doesn't work, check you can get a HL2DM game hosted and working, as it might be the router.

Tony Sergi
05-24-2008, 06:06 AM
adding -insecure to the launch options will also temporarily fix the issue with 218.

Matthew Dryden
05-24-2008, 09:05 AM
adding -insecure to the launch options will also temporarily fix the issue with 218.

What about dedicated servers?