PDA

View Full Version : good title bad game

Bear_crab142
08-04-2008, 05:45 PM
when you read the title of this game Beyond Good and Evil it amkes you think. It makes you think about things liek dragons verse knights and evil wizards verse good wizards.

But then I bought the game LOL it was bad. Not so good at all.

Didn't live up to my expectatiosn at all.

Don't buy it.

Bear_crab142
08-04-2008, 05:45 PM
So who agress with me?

in.meinem.turm.
08-04-2008, 11:38 PM
^^No one.
There is a demo in the net and you would definitely find out by playing it, that there are no dragons in it. Even by clicking on the screenshots you should have seen, that there are no wizards. Get a life and stop ♥♥♥♥♥ing on this game.

Oni Gryphon
08-05-2008, 05:11 AM
What I'm wondering is what do dragons and knights have to do with the title to begin with. When I think of the title, it makes me think of "looking beyond the norm," like what is beyond the obvious and there in lies the truth. And it's also one of my favorite games ever, so no, I don't find it horrible.

Diminuendo
08-05-2008, 07:36 AM
When I think of the title, it makes me think of "looking beyond the norm," like what is beyond the obvious and there in lies the truth.Which is exactly what the game is about...

I can't tell if this guy is a troll or just got dropped on his head as or child, or maybe still is a child. Regardless the game is awesome and everyone should at least consider it.

(Warning: Not for idiots.)

Oni Gryphon
08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Which is exactly what the game is about...

I can't tell if this guy is a troll or just got dropped on his head as or child, or maybe still is a child. Regardless the game is awesome and everyone should at least consider it.

(Warning: Not for idiots.)

Who knows. And yeah, I'd have to agree, this game is not for the middle school and under crowd since it discusses things that kids just wouldn't understand.

Linkor
08-08-2008, 02:35 AM
I do really hope you didn't buy the game just because it had a cool title. But rather because you played the demo, looked trough the screenshots, read a rewiev, looked at a gameplay movie, or simply something which actually say something about the game.
Look at one of the best games ever (according to me) Half-Life 2, what do you start to think about when you read that name?

What I want to say is that If you really dont do any research about the game, and just buy it because 'it sounds cool' then you really have to suit your self when you buy games you don't like.

This game is good, and if you lok at other games there are far far worse games with cooler titels.

CrimsonTwilight
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Beyond Good & Evil stands as my favorite game of all time.

Very well executed, mature, and fun. The storyline was beyond engrossing.

No. Your description of "Beyond Good & Evil" is absolutely the wrong idea. You are thinking "Good & Evil". Notice the cleverly placed "beyond" before you go spouting off about the game.

Zefar
08-11-2008, 03:55 PM
You should have at least checked up some pictures and maybe read a bit about it.

I found it very charming and it was fun looking for those animals and see what they looked like.

It was really an unique game and good at it to. Last boss was thou REALLY anoying. >.>

MiEsAmericano
08-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Beyond good and evil is one of my favorite games of all time...

I can't imagine playing with M+KB so I still have the disk for my PS2, and I'm really looking forward to BG&E2.

The plot, characters, gameplay, humor.... It's short, but considering how cheap it is now, the price is okay.

Woutsie
08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
You're pretty dumb if you buy a guy without knowing what game it is...

Stop buying games.

breeks
08-22-2008, 06:16 PM
ummm.... You do realize that the title of the game is a direct reference to philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche's work, right?

Psamathos
08-22-2008, 07:04 PM
ummm.... You do realize that the title of the game is a direct reference to philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche's work, right?

I don't think he even knows who Nietzsche was, let alone being able to recognize the title of one of his books. :D

KiteX3
08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
=/

I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but it certainly wasn't what I expected.

I had expected a dark, dystopic 1984-like game. Instead, about five minutes in, I found a talking pig, a bunch of freaky looking "children", and a giant plant thing. Throw in an offensive stereotypical Hispanic hologram, and I think almost anyone can understand why my hopes were shattered.

Now, none of those facts make the game bad. Children's games have their market, and this game would perform spectacularly there, but it's certainly not the dark, dystopic game I had hoped for. I suppose I should have looked at the screenshots before I bought the game. >.<

Spidery_Yoda
08-24-2008, 03:30 PM
It's definitely one of the best games of last gen.

ReBoot
08-24-2008, 04:53 PM
After 2,5 hours with BG&E I can say that I love this game. Sure, the performance is, compared to the graphics quality, weak, but the game itself is so great! I like the atmosphere, I like the controls, I like the story, I like the look. I won't concider that a children's game only because it isn't that serious at the first glance.

Tibo
08-25-2008, 05:46 AM
i don't buy games after only reding the title.

KiteX3
08-25-2008, 11:01 AM
I'll assume you're talking to me, Tibo, but I didn't just read the title. I did read a review in GameInformer, though it was quite a while back. I also read this description of the game off the Steam page:

For centuries, the planet Hyllis has been bombarded by a relentless alien race. Skeptical of her government's inability to repel the invaders, a rebellious action reporter named Jade sets out to capture the truth. Armed with her camera, dai-jo staff, and fierce determination, she discovers shocking evidence leading to a horrific government conspiracy, and is forced to battle an evil she cannot possibly fathom.

Join the Rebellion
As action reporter Jade, join an underground resistance group and expose your government's secrets using stealth, force, and wits. Stop at nothing until your people know the truth.
Expose the Conspiracy
Enter a futuristic world full of deception, where nothing is as it seems and exposing the truth is the only hope of restoring freedom.
Prepare for Anything
Brace yourself for any obstacle in this spellbinding world from the mind of innovative game creator, Michel Ancel.
United We Fight
Battle against the forces of conspiracy with Jade's punishing dai-jo staff techniques. Master amazing tag-team fighting combos with allied resistance fighters.

From what I had garnered, it was a 1984-ish game. I had no idea there were talking pigs or wildly misshapen people in the game. You don't just say, "I'd better make sure that there aren't any loquacious swine in this game. I despise porcine prattling." How was I to expect anything of the sort?

in.meinem.turm.
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM
From what I had garnered, it was a 1984-ish game. I had no idea there were talking pigs
So you'll also get a little bit of Animal Farm.

postmanmanman
08-26-2008, 03:49 PM
This is... some sort of joke topic... isn't it? Either that, or Bearcrab is just being annoying.

Oh, and KiteX3, have you actually played the game past the first part? Get at least past *kinda spoilers* the factory. THEN decide that this is a kids game. If a kid could get past some of the stealth sections without great difficulty I'd be surprised.
Not to say that the presentation isn't pretty similar to something like Legend of Zelda, or that the game is hard. The presintation suits the game very well, and the game is challenging without ever making you repeat one section over and over ad infintium.

KiteX3
08-27-2008, 07:16 PM
So you'll also get a little bit of Animal Farm.

LOL! =)

Well, Postmanmanman, I have still been playing it (though my gaming time has been cut short by school's start). I haven't reached this factory, though. I honestly doubt that it really extends outside my view of a "children's game", though. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, really. To me, a "children's game" has drastically different art styles, censorship levels, and humour than standard "adult-style" games.

So, you're saying this factory makes it not a children's style game? So, is it just a difficult part of the game, or is it mature-themed? Because if it's just difficult, that doesn't really change my mind, but if it just happens to be owned by Soylent Corporation...

PoSSeSSeDCoW
08-27-2008, 07:35 PM
BG&E is a fairly dark game, at least once you get further.

in.meinem.turm.
08-28-2008, 03:23 AM
So, you're saying this factory makes it not a children's style game? So, is it just a difficult part of the game, or is it mature-themed? Because if it's just difficult, that doesn't really change my mind, but if it just happens to be owned by Soylent Corporation...

graphically it is a children's style game. But the story is nothing I would recommend for a child.

.ernest
08-28-2008, 03:31 AM
I bought this game the day it came out for Gamecube. I'm so glad after all these years, people recognize it for how great it is. Just play through it. It isn't that long of a game, and there are parts that will make you glad you stuck with it.

ReBoot
08-28-2008, 04:27 AM
graphically it is a children's style game.I wouldn't even disagree with that. The fact that it's colorful and not bloody doesn't make it a children's game.

Spidery_Yoda
08-28-2008, 04:41 AM
Yes, it definitely isn't a 'kids' game. The graphics definitely aren't 'kiddy' graphics either. They have a distinct style. It reminds me of paintings.

In fact I just went and watched the BG&E 2 teaser trailer using footage from the new game engine, and was quite disappointed that they seem to have completely abandoned the first games art direction, which is a real shame if true.

And yes I think it's a fairly adult story, and a mature game in general. There's no blood or guts or photo-realistic graphics, but if anyone thinks they have to be there to make it a mature game then they need to have another look at the word mature.

I just finished my Steam copy and it reminded me of why I love the game so much.

tonka
08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
A little bit old but is a excellent game. :D

CrimsonTwilight
08-31-2008, 10:33 AM

This is not a children's game. After a certain point, the level of the storyline maturity ratchets up quite a lot. That's the whole point of the game, everything starts out innocent, and rapidly darkens (matures, if you will) as the storyline progresses.

This is really a game that GAINS momentum, as long as you'll let it.

I wouldn't let anyone under 14 play this. Some of the stuff gets plain freaky.

KiteX3
09-07-2008, 06:42 PM
This is not a children's game. After a certain point, the level of the storyline maturity ratchets up quite a lot. That's the whole point of the game, everything starts out innocent, and rapidly darkens (matures, if you will) as the storyline progresses.

This is really a game that GAINS momentum, as long as you'll let it.

I wouldn't let anyone under 14 play this. Some of the stuff gets plain freaky.

After finishing the game, I have to say I stand by my initial impression of the game, but reworded -- I would consider this a child-friendly game, but not just a "children's game." It fits into the category near some of the darker (non-Disney-fied) fairy tales, but I would still consider it child-friendly.

*SPOILER(S)*
I would have changed my mind had it not gotten so... "magical" near the end. Pey'j's resurrection pushed it out of artfully-depicted realism and into the darker side of the fairy-tale genre, in my opinion.
*END OF SPOILER(S)*

Nonetheless, still a great game, and well worth my $5.

Hyunk
09-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Does anyone of you have an idea of which game I should get next? Adventure/Puzzle genre AND cheap.

Calick
09-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Hey, OP, don't mess with Beyond Good&Evil just because you stupidly expected something completely different (I don't know how you could expect dragons and wizards, just look at the cover of the game).

Gear853
10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
After finishing the game, I have to say I stand by my initial impression of the game, but reworded -- I would consider this a child-friendly game, but not just a "children's game." It fits into the category near some of the darker (non-Disney-fied) fairy tales, but I would still consider it child-friendly.

*SPOILER(S)*
I would have changed my mind had it not gotten so... "magical" near the end. Pey'j's resurrection pushed it out of artfully-depicted realism and into the darker side of the fairy-tale genre, in my opinion.
*END OF SPOILER(S)*

Nonetheless, still a great game, and well worth my $5.

hey it's good that you change your opinion. it's a great game for sure!

and to the Original Poster... you sir, are a moron.

guru7892
11-23-2008, 09:54 PM
So who agress with me?

honestly, I think this might be one of the best games ever...

The low-tech graphics are good, mostly because it pushed the developers to do some non-realistic art.

The whole jounalist/photograph aspect is awesome. In this game its not about killing or fighting or power, but about a search for the truth. It's diffrent and its well done. not enough games do that.

oh and did I mention the realistic protrayal of women? There are to many ♥♥♥♥s in video games and not enough women.

Duate
12-08-2008, 04:45 PM
i replay this game at least once a year and it's amazing.

im laughing my ♥♥♥ off at the guy who thought it was going to be dragons and wizards

hmmm cartoony girl with a camera on the cover... I BET ITS ABOUT DRAGUNS HURRR

Arandie
12-09-2008, 07:31 PM
when you read the title of this game Beyond Good and Evil it amkes you think. It makes you think about things liek dragons verse knights and evil wizards verse good wizards.

Incorrect. It makes me think of Friedrich Nietzsche and his book "Beyond Good and Evil." :p

JayTeeEff
12-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Don't buy it.

That's a classic example of someone not looking into a game blindly buying it because of its title. Your fault completely.

Bet you haven't bought Silent Hill either due to the whole standing on a hill not talking gameplay mechanic.

Duate
12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
why would i want to play resident evil? i mean, what like you play as a landlord and one of your residents is evil or something? BORING.

Gear853
12-09-2008, 10:11 PM
If everyone just think the game it is as the title... final fantasy is never final. :p

faceless007
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
And what about Half-Life? Does that mean it takes half a lifetime to beat? Or that anyone who plays it only has half a life?

noctuk
12-10-2008, 08:09 PM
So is this an adventure game? The point and click kind? I seriously hope it isnt. I've heard this game is a good one, but im weary it being an adventure click-fest. Usually adventure games if they have some sort of combat feature, sux a**. Im considering buying this game, but not the steam version, but the boxed 3-disc special version. Does anyone know what is included as extra in that boxset?

Duate
12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
it's not point and click

it's 3rd person action/adventure with combat and some stealth sections

Gear853
12-10-2008, 09:08 PM
it's a great game, there's little bit of racing, flying, and what Daute mention.

ReBoot
12-11-2008, 07:31 AM
And what about Half-Life? Does that mean it takes half a lifetime to beat? Or that anyone who plays it only has half a life?In fact, the title most likely means the time in which the number if nuceli of a readioactive material is reduced to the half. The common abbreviation for that is the Greek letter lambda which is also the HL logo.

Skyrider
12-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Beyond good & evil is a good game that I played long time ago. It's just not point and click, It's a third person game where you can move around, make pictures of animals to get money, use melee attacks, etc.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcMT-rZ--Ck

I think video can show more of the game than I can explain it :p.

Duate
12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
In fact, the title most likely means the time in which the number if nuceli of a readioactive material is reduced to the half. The common abbreviation for that is the Greek letter lambda which is also the HL logo.

*facepalm*

Mulky
12-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Does anyone of you have an idea of which game I should get next? Adventure/Puzzle genre AND cheap.

Personally, I was quite impressed by Psychonauts, especially as platform adventures are not my usual style of game.

Freyar
12-31-2008, 04:59 PM
There is a reason Beyond Good and Evil is critically acclaimed. The game was a top-notch adventure title when it was released. Granted, it hasn't aged too well, but it falls in line with "Old, but great".

fng_tsam314
01-01-2009, 10:50 AM
There is a reason Beyond Good and Evil is critically acclaimed. The game was a top-notch adventure title when it was released. Granted, it hasn't aged too well, but it falls in line with "Old, but great".

Exactly. BG&E is a great game. Sure the graphics aren't the greatest when compared to modern ones, but the story line is still really good.

And who in the world honestly thought it was about dragons and wizards? At least read the description of the game here on Steam (as one of the previous posters did, even quoted it here).

SlightlyEvil
02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Personally, I was quite impressed by Psychonauts, especially as platform adventures are not my usual style of game.

I'm going to second this. It caught my attention last year when I found it for free on GameTap (sadly no longer the case). The platforming is somewhat mediocre, but it's one of the best-crafted worlds I've ever seen in a game. All 20-odd supporting characters are fully developed as characters and have full voice acting, there isn't a single text-only dialog in the entire game. I played BG&E shortly after Psychonauts (I was on an underappreciated-gems kick at the time), and noted that both were colorful, well-designed, cartoonish games with a suprisingly dark and complex story and engaging characters.

Fatbubba
02-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Going to.....errrr......third this. I had a lot of fun with Psychonauts. A great game, even for someone like me who usually leaves the platform adventure games alone.

Quillaina
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
I got this game during the holiday sale. I'd heard so many good things about it. And I really enjoyed it, too. I liked its appearance, I was interested in the story...and then about the time we head to the Slaughterhouse, the camera became my worst enemy. By the time we got the space ship and started out, it was just impossible. The last time I got motion sick was when I was still a little kid...this game's camera made me motion sick. It's the only time this has ever happened just from looking at a screen. I got angry, quit, deleted it from my computer, and took a nap to get over the literal headache. I want to finish this game...I want to know what happens...but the physical suffering just isn't worth it. :(

ikke111
03-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I got this game during the holiday sale. I'd heard so many good things about it. And I really enjoyed it, too. I liked its appearance, I was interested in the story...and then about the time we head to the Slaughterhouse, the camera became my worst enemy. By the time we got the space ship and started out, it was just impossible. The last time I got motion sick was when I was still a little kid...this game's camera made me motion sick. It's the only time this has ever happened just from looking at a screen. I got angry, quit, deleted it from my computer, and took a nap to get over the literal headache. I want to finish this game...I want to know what happens...but the physical suffering just isn't worth it. :(

You are lucky you only got it with a cheap game i got it with Oblivion after i paid 50 euro for it still cant play it:(:(:(

in.meinem.turm.
03-16-2009, 01:25 AM
I want to finish this game...I want to know what happens...but the physical suffering just isn't worth it. :(

There is a speedrun of the game over at
http://speeddemosarchive.com/BeyondGoodAndEvil.html

I'm downloading it right now just to see if the left the cutscenes in.
I still have to get to the moon again but once you are there there is no need for using the ship any more if I remember correctly. Since you got into the ship you should have seen all ther things nescessary for the story on hyllis.

Shall I send you a savegame of the beginning of the moon-level once I get there?

Quillaina
03-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Shall I send you a savegame of the beginning of the moon-level once I get there?

If you could do that, it would be wonderful. :D

in.meinem.turm.
03-16-2009, 04:29 AM
If you could do that, it would be wonderful. :D

I made 5 savegames for you.

01 right after you enter the moon
02 in the cloister after I killed the 2 guards. the camera is kind of messy in that fignt
03 After a turret section with maybe to flashy camera for you
04 after a flight scene on the moon
05 after a second flight scene on the moon right before the final boss with enough health and healing items.

http://drop.io/bgesaves

The .rar-file includes 6 files (the 5 aves and my sally.idx which is needed for the game to recognize them. Those 6 files must be placed in your BGE folder

*:\*\Steam\steamapps\common\beyond good and evil

Have a lot of fun with the rest of the game.

neuromancer
03-16-2009, 01:39 PM

If you haven't done so yet, play Psychonauts ASAP

Quillaina
03-16-2009, 07:59 PM
I made 5 savegames for you.

01 right after you enter the moon
02 in the cloister after I killed the 2 guards. the camera is kind of messy in that fignt
03 After a turret section with maybe to flashy camera for you
04 after a flight scene on the moon
05 after a second flight scene on the moon right before the final boss with enough health and healing items.

http://drop.io/bgesaves

The .rar-file includes 6 files (the 5 aves and my sally.idx which is needed for the game to recognize them. Those 6 files must be placed in your BGE folder

*:\*\Steam\steamapps\common\beyond good and evil

Have a lot of fun with the rest of the game.

Awesome, thank you so much. :D

in.meinem.turm.
03-17-2009, 02:23 AM
no problem. It was just luck, that I played the game just to the moment you got stuck.
I hope the savegames do work. please tell me if they do or do not so I can free some space on my Steam-harddrive.

Quillaina
03-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Just reinstalled the game, and the saves work. Thanks again.

Edited to Add: I was able to continue from the first save without any more skipping ahead. The camera hasn't bothered me at all. Mostly it was only happening in vehicles when in tight spaces (and the point right after getting the spaceship), where the camera would seem to develop a mind of its own and practically try to orbit around me. I've made it to the end battle without it becoming anywhere near that erratic again.

I think this is a good game. It just has a lousy camera...

kozzy420
03-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I dissagree, this is one of the most underrated games ive played in my 22+ years of gaming.

I recommend this game in a heart beat! :cool:

SirFr4galot
03-29-2009, 05:27 AM
=/

I had expected a dark, dystopic 1984-like game. Instead, about five minutes in, I found a talking pig, a bunch of freaky looking "children", and a giant plant thing. Throw in an offensive stereotypical Hispanic hologram, and I think almost anyone can understand why my hopes were shattered.

Now, none of those facts make the game bad. Children's games have their market, and this game would perform spectacularly there, but it's certainly not the dark, dystopic game I had hoped for. I suppose I should have looked at the screenshots before I bought the game. >.<
Worse about the hologram, is that the actor doesn't even know if he wants to do a Spanish or Italian accent, and ends up doing both and mixing them around. The Jamaican rhinoceros are equally offensive, IMO.

But the biggest flaw in this game is that it suffers from consolitis. The controls are sluggish and... why can't I look up properly without going to a first person view?... seriously.

I've also been having sound sync and texture corruption issues, don't know why.

The art and story line seem to make up for it, though.

Artheval_Pe
03-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I've also been having sound sync and texture corruption issues, don't know why.
If it's the same problem as in Deus Ex, it's related to the CPU. Some old games used to synchronise themselves using the processor's frequency. But modern processors, especially on laptop, automaticly change their frequency at times to use less power. When it happens within the game, things can get out of sync and it can be annoying.

Worse about the hologram, is that the actor doesn't even know if he wants to do a Spanish or Italian accent, and ends up doing both and mixing them around.
The actor is just bad. In the Original French version (the game was developped in Montpellier in France), the hologram is clearly speaking with a fake Italian accent.

MADDOGGE
03-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Worse about the hologram, is that the actor doesn't even know if he wants to do a Spanish or Italian accent, and ends up doing both and mixing them around. The Jamaican rhinoceros are equally offensive, IMO.

Get over it, people, cultures and nations have stereotypes. If the people being stereotyped didn't continue to do things that reinforce them, the stereotype wouldn't exist. I have found over the years, that people that are easily offended by sterotypes are usually ashamed of their own culture instead of being proud of it. They don't want the mirror turned on them.

I've played the demo and liked it. I'm usually a FPS, but like to mix it up occationally. Can I use my 360 controller or is it just KB & M? Played the demo before I had my 360 so wouldn't have thought to check.

Dr.Zoidberg
03-30-2009, 10:35 AM

I guess you're also VERY offended by Team Fortress 2's characters, eh? Being a play on stereotypes and all that...

Duate
03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
maybe the hologram guy was raised in the spanishtalian area of hillys

seeing how it's a fictional world and all

man racial stereotypes that exist in fictional lands make your blood boil!

frostschutz
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
I dislike the hologram too, but not because of stereotypes, but because I actually have trouble understanding what he is saying half of the time.

I like most of the other actors though.

MADDOGGE
04-01-2009, 06:55 AM
spanishtalian: I like that! Maybe his mom was a Spanish lass and his dad an Italian Casanova. Yah in the English version, to my ear at least, it's not a native Italian speaker speaking English, but probably some French or English dude faking an Italian accent. Either way it doesn't matter to me. The game itself has turned out to be a very charming, pleasurable and interesting platformer for me. Something totally different from my usual fare of cookie-cutter FPS's.

PS Love the pigs' Fart boots!LOLOL

in.meinem.turm.
04-01-2009, 08:35 AM
I dislike the hologram too, but not because of stereotypes, but because I actually have trouble understanding what he is saying half of the time.

I like most of the other actors though.

Aren't there subtitles for the game.

Mr. Bean
04-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I've been playing this game these days and I am having so much fun with it! The characters are awesome and Jade is so sexy:o green is my favorite color...

Anyway, the game is AWESOME and funny so I don't agree with the OP at all lol! That title really fits the game and story! I am so glad there's gonna be a sequel!

MADDOGGE
04-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I am really sad that I didn't try this out when it was first released originaly. I guess I was too much into my FPS and probably didn't have internet at the time to check it out first. My loss.

To the OP we have the internet. The fact that you are posting means that you do also. I try never to buy a game unless there is a demo or demo footage for me to check it out. carefully read several reviews. Although at like $2.50 a piece I'm not really going to care if the game sucked? Which it didn't. I got it more for the conveniance of not using the disk for my retail Farcry than anything else. This game is going to be in those that stay installed and in progress all the time on my rig. I mean right now I don't even have a worthwhile way to even play the IL-2 flight sim at the moment, but again for $2.50 I'll wait until I can. It's no big deal. As for the graphics quit appoligizing. They fit the story and the style of game.

in.meinem.turm.
04-02-2009, 12:41 AM
The time he was posting it was 10$ but it was still worth the money I guess.

TheStripe
04-02-2009, 06:41 AM
It's Nietzsche, stupid. Read a book.

MADDOGGE
04-02-2009, 06:59 AM
The time he was posting it was 10$ but it was still worth the money I guess.

I can see where $10 as opposed to $2.50 might bug him if he doesn't like the game. Point well taken. I still think it's worth $10. Personally I won't pay more than $19 for a year old game. $10 or less for a game over 2 years old. God knows I'd love a copy of System Shock 2, but it's not worth what people want for a scratched copy. It is only a game after all is said and done. My sons wanting a copy of Halo 2 for PC, but that game is old now too and the stores around here still want $32 for it. It ain't happening. The OP just needs to spend a little more time researching before buying. The OP talking about dragons as he was, made me think of Spyro. I liked Spyro. Now that would be fun for the pc, but will never happen I guess. I like dragons too, they just aren't part of this game.

Pyrogunz
05-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I agree with the thread starter. I truly believe this game is crap. Half Life 2 ain't the best game ever either, it was a boring, linear experience with no growth. K thanks.

neuromancer
05-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I agree with the thread starter. I truly believe this game is crap. Half Life 2 ain't the best game ever either, it was a boring, linear experience with no growth. K thanks.

So 2 of your 4 posts on these forums are bashing 2 different games that are almost universally lauded as classic masterpieces. Either you're a troll or someone with bafflingly poor taste in PC games. K yerwelcome.

EDJE
11-14-2009, 12:04 AM
...Oh and did I mention the realistic protrayal of women? There are to many ♥♥♥♥s in video games and not enough women.

This, plus HL2, are the only games I've played that don't portray women as transportation for huge breasts.

*Cough*Tomb Raider*Cough*

airblad3
11-15-2009, 02:05 PM
So who agress with me?

I don't, this game is awesome. Steam is the only platform where i could get it to work. Worth 10 bucks for sure. :D

DKill3r
11-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I like this game, it's very good. I hope the second one will be released and also comes to the PC.
It's not a children's game and I think Jade is one of the most beautiful female game characters.

kalirion
02-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Enjoying the game. Gameplay isn't out of this world, but the characters and the overall feel just grow on you. Graphics are pretty good except for the hearting fake widescreen letterboxing. Seriously, what were they thinking???

Anyway, I'm in the middle of the Slaughterhouse mission, and I still see nothing that relates to the game's title. Does the whole "Beyond Good And Evil" thing come in to play at any point in the story? So far everything seems rather black and white to me.

mclazyj
02-03-2010, 10:04 AM
This is one of my favorite games. Great characters, and a wonderful, fleshed out storyline. The combat was fluid, and then there was the whole picture mechanic. Great stuff. Not sure where you get the idea dragons are in the game, as the artwork both on Steam and on the retail box have no dragons everywhere.

Smertnik
02-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I played it about half through a while ago, then I had to format my drives and didn't bother to install the game again.
It's certainly a decent game but I didn't really like it. Neither the graphic style, nor the characters, nor the gameplay suited me. I guess I was mostly put off by the rather "childish" graphics.

Ralexand
03-05-2010, 06:22 AM

Don't buy it.

****ing troll. One of the best games ever. :)

kalakk
03-05-2010, 06:28 PM
=/

o/
second that. Itīs my opinion... but I canīt play more than ten minutes (AFTER discover how to play the game without the glitches...).
I really donīt like the game.Childish :p

kalakk
03-05-2010, 06:31 PM

Heīs not a troll. Heīs saying what he thinks about the game. Whatīs wrong with that ?
I donīt like the game, so Iīm a troll too ?

And, cīmon... "the best games ever" ?!
Are you kidding, right ?

littlenick
03-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I think OP is either stupid, unsophisticated, or a troll. Perhaps some combination?

This game reminded me a lot of Zelda, it tackled very different themes with the narrative. It is definitely not a title for everyone, but at the same time it is easily one of the best games of last gen.

I actually take offense to the idea that you could play for ten minutes and then decide its clearly some kind of childish and put it down. Textbook judging a book by its cover, and not even for its cover, but for your own damn preconceptions.

C4Cypher
03-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't think Bear_crab124 met the minimum system requirements for Intelligence Quotient.

kalirion
03-06-2010, 06:10 PM

More like "one of the best ****ing trolls ever" considering how riled up you all got.

ben583
03-07-2010, 12:20 AM
I love the game. I always like more light-hearted games anyway.

DrMatta
03-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Bad game???
I don't even

Greyfoxzero
04-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Everyone has the right to their opinion. My opinion of Beyond Good and Evil is that it was one of the best games I have played. I had it back on the xbox and was very happy with how the game was done. Many compared it to Zelda and i agree but certain elements of it could be barrowed for games like Zelda. Not alot of games drive me to complete them but this did. I hope the PC version isnt crap.

Yeowj
04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
lol@evil wizards.

kalirion
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
people still replying to the troll?

Pyrogunz
06-11-2010, 12:54 PM
So 2 of your 4 posts on these forums are bashing 2 different games that are almost universally lauded as classic masterpieces. Either you're a troll or someone with bafflingly poor taste in PC games. K yerwelcome.

No, just the winning formula for shooting OR espionage games is to have a level-based experience, with the game broken up into levels, each with their distinct music, look, feel and difficulty, like Goldeneye 007. Any shooting game that does not follow this formula is boring and complete crap.

Hayley Williams
06-19-2010, 07:47 PM
What I'm wondering is what do dragons and knights have to do with the title to begin with. When I think of the title, it makes me think of "looking beyond the norm," like what is beyond the obvious and there in lies the truth. And it's also one of my favorite games ever, so no, I don't find it horrible.

I see where he's coming from, but he really shouldn't have bought a game simply because it has a good title.

TasBlue
06-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Wow I totally disagree, this game is one of the most memorable games that i've ever played. Seriously go play WoW if you want dragons and wizards lol, i'm not saying WoW is bad its just don't suddenly judge a game as bad just because it didn't meet your expectation after not even looking at screenshots lol. Why the hell would you even buy a game after only looking at the title?

Intrinsic
07-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Epic game, got it when it was 1st released and loved it. If only people actually tried it instead of just looking at it and thinking it looks pants it'd have sold so much better. Quality game in every respect.

faptastic
07-03-2010, 03:58 AM
Dragons, knights and evil wizards. Ingredients for a good game? Go and play some F2P mmos.

the_can
07-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Why would Beyond Good and Evil make you think of Dragons or Wizards? The first thing that came to mind for me was Nietzsche.

Saltine Kraken
08-24-2010, 04:22 AM
I found this game to be charming when I gave it a quick playthrough after a friend bought it for me on Steam. I haven't played it since, only because this game lacks support for a controller.

DeTard
08-26-2010, 10:29 AM
No, just the winning formula for shooting OR espionage games is to have a level-based experience, with the game broken up into levels, each with their distinct music, look, feel and difficulty, like Goldeneye 007. Any shooting game that does not follow this formula is boring and complete crap.

lol. You're funny. Makes me happy that game developers don't rely on opinions of only people like you anyhow. While Goldeneye 007 was a great game, I don't want all my games to be level-based. I feel that most games that are level-based are so incredibly linear by their base design that they bore me. While everyone has a right to their opinion, you should seriously reconsider that there is no one "winning formula" and that there will always be people that completely disagree. If there was only one winning formula, every other shooter/espionage game would have fallen by the wayside by now. I'm just wondering why if HL2 was such a boring and crappy game why Episode 3 is one of the most highly anticipated PC games to-date?

Dhsu
09-27-2010, 09:29 AM
This is the most epic thread.

Mikel
11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I also enjoyed this game a lot. Unfortunately, it got repetitive at the second half, so I didn't finish it.

Dreadnought3
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't like the title.

Coillscath
11-20-2010, 09:48 PM
This, plus HL2, are the only games I've played that don't portray women as transportation for huge breasts.

*Cough*Tomb Raider*Cough*

Metroid was good for that too. I use the past tense because Other M went and turned that all ♥♥♥ over ♥♥♥, figuratively speaking.

chris_coma
12-19-2010, 01:14 AM
OMG I like that topic so much :D fat troll trynna roll 'round, and there is 7 pages of comments :D ♥♥♥♥ hit the fan.

johnnypalooza
12-27-2010, 11:03 PM
lol. You're funny. Makes me happy that game developers don't rely on opinions of only people like you anyhow. While Goldeneye 007 was a great game, I don't want all my games to be level-based. I feel that most games that are level-based are so incredibly linear by their base design that they bore me. While everyone has a right to their opinion, you should seriously reconsider that there is no one "winning formula" and that there will always be people that completely disagree. If there was only one winning formula, every other shooter/espionage game would have fallen by the wayside by now. I'm just wondering why if HL2 was such a boring and crappy game why Episode 3 is one of the most highly anticipated PC games to-date?

Call of Duty franchise = "winning formula" in terms of sales and players. People eat that ♥♥♥♥ up. My brother has been glued to Black Ops zombie mode for a week now with rotating groups of friends coming over to play the game with him.

Ultimately, the "winning formula" stands for two different things: what sells and what is a great game. We can measure both. Measuring sales is self explanatory, so I won't comment on that.

Critical consensus can help us measure what makes a great game. Half-Life 2 didn't get a metascore of 96 by being bad. That said, I've met people who didn't think it was that good.

On the subject of metascores--and critics in general--everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, being a critic is different that simply having an opinion. Roger Ebert said of film criticism something to the effect of: a critic's job is to encourage great films and discourage bad ones. It's the same for video game critics. A critic may not personally like a game that much; but they have a responsibility to encourage great games and discourage bad ones.

MauroR
01-22-2011, 10:57 PM

Don't buy it.

You're a ♥♥♥♥♥♥. Nothing to add.

ganner23
05-30-2011, 05:09 AM
The fact is that with a title like that, one could have expected a nice scenario, cool revelations and a story that avoid being dualistic.

Instead you have a scenario with good guys and bad guys, gratuitiously agressive aliens, people who rebel against the government because of two or three bad pictures and some articles seemingly written by a four-year old, the unavoidable moment where the main character, as any good female character, cry and despair (we avoided the shower though) and the usual happy ending where everybody's happy (But wait... oO Three more seconds after the credits to show there will be a sequel ! Never seen before.)
Conclusion : lots of clichés, no other surprise that when you discover you bought a crap and an incredibly short game at that (one small city, three dungeons...)

Not many games disapointed me like this one. The worst thing is that the gameplay is actually very nice. It means it could have been a very good game !

Me2nice
05-31-2011, 04:24 AM
So who agress with me?

I don't, and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who does. I played this game back on the Gamecube and loved it, and would love to play it again if I had cash to spare (which I don't).

liquid_courage
06-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Such an awesome, and yet slept-on game. It's a shame Ubisoft hasn't come out with games of this quality since the early 2000s. Beyond Good and Evil is easily one of the best action games I have played. The fighting is surprisingly fluid, and the game is pretty absorbing... from my first boss fight on, i was hooked. The environment and characters are pretty distinct, and if there's one thing this game has in spades, it's personality. whether or not you get this game, it's really a gem compared to some of the triple a dreck that comes out on a regular basis. That's not to say this game doesn't have it's faults - the finally boss is really easy, a lot of the collecting in this game is pointless, and the ending of the game was a bit weak, story-wise. But at the end of the day, Beyond Good and Evil is a hell of a lot more memorable for its style than anything else. And that's not a bad thing, not in the least.

mynameiszach
07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Let me guess... your favorite game is Call of Duty (not the old good ones, the new ones)? I suspect that you are in elemantary school for picking a game soley on the cool title and what you THOUGHT the game would be like. Steam clearly gives you multiple screenshots and trailers, as well as demos sometimes. This, to this day, is one of my favorive games of all time.

Edeslash
07-29-2011, 06:06 PM
The first post was posted in 2008. By the way.

lostatsea
07-29-2011, 06:41 PM
The first post was posted in 2008. By the way.

And it's still hilarious!!! amirite!?

kitekrazy
10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
and it's still a great game!

Totalitator
01-01-2012, 05:04 PM
I got this game on GameCube when it came out after reading some online reviews that said it hadn't sold well and needed support because of how awesome it was. It was difficult to time because stores already didn't stock a lot of GC games, but I did finally track down a copy for the bargain bin price of $19.99 (truly at the time). I thought it was fantastic. I never finished it though. I guess it does have some flaws here and there but it was a good game, and it still looks good today many years later.

cakefish
01-21-2012, 12:14 PM
* good title, great game.

craftyard
06-28-2012, 01:16 PM

Portal.

crack0dile
07-05-2012, 02:15 PM
not really impressed so far... and lol @ spuf logic, criticizing a game = troll, automatically a "cod player", etc

kitekrazy
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
not really impressed so far... and lol @ spuf logic, criticizing a game = troll, automatically a "cod player", etc

It started out for me that way. I bought is as part of an Ubi Soft collection. It was one of the last games I decided to play. I started liking it a lot more.

mouton
07-16-2012, 09:26 AM
The OP is obviously confused about many things.

But I do agree with the thread title. The title of the game implies moral ambiguity whereas it offers utterly predictable black-and-white story, with lots of pretentious. Gameplay is nothing special while the characters are uninteresting and annoying. Oh, and it is a poor old port.

Jayne_Cobb
07-16-2012, 10:30 AM
You won't find many games like this, that aged that well.
I'd go so far, to say, this is one of the gems, that makes
videogames art. And this is an piece of art, that's fun.

Beyond Good & Evil is one of the games reminding of the golden
age of video games, when gameplay used to outweigh graphics.
But then again, I grew up on an Atari 2600 and a C-64.

And most important and simply put: The game is plain fun to play.
It has quirky characters, and is not set in your generic environment.

HitDeity
07-17-2012, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I'm glad I got this one. I am enjoying it so far.

Lots of quirky characters in a unique setting. I've not gotten very far, but it is truly a fascinating experience. I'm glad I went ahead and bought it. After a few initial graphical anomalies, I was quickly able to find a working combination of settings that makes this game look outstanding. I would never in a million years have guessed this was a Ubisoft title.

I like how the game is not focused solely on combat. There's a lot of stuff to do and explore, and then taking the pictures, upgrading your boat...fun little RPG type elements thrown in with some wildly imaginative characters... just a gem that I somehow overlooked previously.

Veronica Mars
07-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Maybe you should have actually read the description for the game before buying it.

I wanted it when it was $7 or close to that range but now that it's $2.49, purchased!

Chordplay
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM

No. It makes me think of the book written by Nietzsche. It deals with the notions of "good" and "evil" and "truth", all of which are illusory and focuses on the psychological aspects of why we as humans feel the need to live in this perpetual illusory state.

I would hope, seeing as this game borrows that title, it would be something about those themes.

Dendilyon
07-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it's not. It's not as simpleminded as other games to pretend to be serious while being a conventional product or to be totally empty-headed. It's just well designed and genuinely nice.

kitekrazy
07-19-2012, 08:44 PM
You won't find many games like this, that aged that well.
I'd go so far, to say, this is one of the gems, that makes
videogames art. And this is an piece of art, that's fun.

Beyond Good & Evil is one of the games reminding of the golden
age of video games, when gameplay used to outweigh graphics.
But then again, I grew up on an Atari 2600 and a C-64.

And most important and simply put: The game is plain fun to play.
It has quirky characters, and is not set in your generic environment.

That's a very good description. I got this as Ubisoft Collection in a Summer sale. It is an underrated game.

jackliu239
07-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Wow 4 year old post, still going strong.

BiGoDeViN
07-20-2012, 03:12 AM

Don't buy it.

Yeh dood ur rite. diz gayme suc ballz. dun play it

Cam00
07-20-2012, 07:01 AM
-snip-
necro thread

Game is awesome, buy it. Fantastic story + characters.

Mexicutioner
07-29-2012, 02:41 PM
I want to play this game so bad, I remember it being advertised years ago but I never got it. To bad I missed the sale :(

squidbulb
08-26-2012, 09:45 AM
I really do love this game, although the ending was a bit weird...