PDA

View Full Version : Colleges/Universities Where Steam Does/Does Not Work: Revisited

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Kyphros
09-29-2011, 12:33 AM
In the Institut Catholique de Toulouse here in France, all ports that are not related to internet navigation, file transfer and emails are closed. Steam does not work at all even though the network is available everywhere since there are several wifi emitters.
The system requires you to enter a password via your browser and refuses to work before it's validated. It also disconnects you from the network if the browser is closed.

Edit: And here's the website.
http://www.ict-toulouse.asso.fr/

scy1192
10-03-2011, 09:03 AM
+1 to Rochester Institute of Technology. Damn fast downloads, too (over 10MBps at times). http://www.speedtest.net/result/1515170057.png

edit:

1) Rochester Institute of Technology
2) Rochester, NY
3) Works
4) Dorms tested.

Fkeuitan
10-04-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm at Aberystwyth University, and after setting up the recommended ports both mentioned here, as well as the official university page, for setting up steam (http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/advisory/faq/757) - the basic downloading/playing services work fine. Hosting/online play is still unknown for me as of yet... But as I didn't particularly need that, i'm happy.

Massive shout out to PhoenixWolf for the help though, wouldn't have been able to work out what was going on there, without his references. Nice one, mate! :)

DSG3002
10-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I'm at Cal Poly (California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo) and I can't seem to connect to any servers. So far I've only tried TF2 and Crysis 2, but I don't doubt that this is going to be a similar problem on other games. The only game I've been able to connect to other servers through is MineCraft, and I have no idea why that's any exception considering I'm having problems with Crysis 2 as well.

Any ideas what kinds of things I'll have to do in order to get things working normally? Primarily concerned about being able to play TF2.

kobyov
10-07-2011, 05:35 PM
University of Otago, New Zealand

Uses an authenticated proxy and has closed all ports, so steam and games cannot connect

PhoenixWolf
10-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Update on Aberystwyth University. Unfortunately they instituted this policy whilst I was in France, so I was unaware anything had changed until a few days ago. Aberystwyth now has an auto-disconnect policy on P2P networks, meaning that Steam automatically gets you kicked off the network for half an hour. Whilst the internet does eventually reconnect and SOME Steam functionality gets restores, anything that uses Steam's P2P network will get you kicked off the network again. I'm currently talking to people about finding a way round it, but until I find a way to turn of Steam's P2P network, no Steam anymore for me

MGro
10-09-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't know too much about the specifics, but I guess the ports for steam are blocked at the Naval Academy so we are unable to play there as well. I didn't see us on the list yet, I just started searching so the answer may be in this forum somehwere, but I am looking for a way to get into offline mode to play single player at least. For some reason it won't even let me open steam to select offline mode so I have been unable to play games for a while now.

PeteyG
10-10-2011, 04:12 AM
University of Brighton - England
Steam ports blocked (as are other gaming ports such as xbox, minecraft ect)

sucks.

RhysJohn
10-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Would like to confirm that in Staffordshire University, UK, Stoke Campus Steam works fine for games, downloads and updates, although I cannot access community pages or the store through Steam. Both can be accessed through a web browser. Slaving away on a workaround.

OOOpeterOoO
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
University of Wales, Bangor
Works here, downloads can be a bit slow so I'm guessing somethings not quite right there... Only thing I've found to be blocked so far is Minecraft... but who really cares about that?!

Intrik
10-12-2011, 07:27 PM
University of Houston: Clear Lake - TX, US
Steam is available all over campus as long as you have log in info for their wifi.

Intrik (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/member.php?u=449184) goes here

Newt Ostrich
10-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Steam works at Stetson University in Deland, Florida, all over campus, provided you are logged into Clean Access Agent.

chenn
10-13-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm at Cal Poly (California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo) and I can't seem to connect to any servers. So far I've only tried TF2 and Crysis 2, but I don't doubt that this is going to be a similar problem on other games. The only game I've been able to connect to other servers through is MineCraft, and I have no idea why that's any exception considering I'm having problems with Crysis 2 as well.

Any ideas what kinds of things I'll have to do in order to get things working normally? Primarily concerned about being able to play TF2.

♥♥♥♥ that sucks, I'm applying there too.....

Jabubuck
10-14-2011, 05:20 AM
University of Huddersfield, works on campus and at halls. And most PC's in the computing block have steam installed.

FrostbiteX
10-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Durham College/University of Ontario Institute of Technology (Oshawa Campus, Ontario, Canada) - Same campus, works in classes (on your own laptop)/wireless. Not sure about residence. (I don't live in rez)

MGro
10-15-2011, 10:02 AM
My school wont unblock the ports, so I've accepted that I cant play multi player online anymore, however, I can't even start steam to get into offline mode to play the games. Is there any way to play the games without Steam? I downloaded the content right? If its on my computer is there no way to start the game for single player?

Wolfe202
10-15-2011, 07:09 PM
-1) Western Washington University
-2) WA, USA
-3) It Works (Though I personally am having problems today with it) It has worked for over 3 years
-4) Buchannan Towers, Birnam Wood, Fairhaven Complex, New York Apartments. (Dorms)

James161324
10-15-2011, 09:57 PM
1) Indiana University of Pennsylvania
2) PA, USA
3) Works great, no issues what so ever.
4) Pretty much everywhere, wifi is not recommend as it sucks most of the time.

n-Bit
10-16-2011, 03:35 AM
1) Lessius Hogeschool Mechelen
2) Antwerp, Belgium
3) Steam(excluding forums) does not work, neither do other gaming services/online games/gaming oriented websites.
4) Campus-wide, not sure about dorms tho.

Tomsta
10-17-2011, 09:09 AM
-1) Name of school - DeMontfort Univeristy
-2) State where school is located - Leicester, UK
-3) Whether Steam works or doesn't work - Works
-4) Specific location(s) within the school such as dorm room, library, etc. - Only tried steam in halls of resisdance (Filbert Village)

glamdering
10-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Regent University - Works everywhere I have tested (Most ports used to host any games are blocked)

DavidTheWin
10-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Any news on King's College at Cambridge University? Hoping to be there next October.

mbc
10-20-2011, 07:58 PM
1. University of Toronto, St. George Campus
2. Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3. Works
4. Works in all dorms, including the off-campus Chestnut Residence, and on campus WiFi

DrNakedSpaceMan
10-24-2011, 01:35 PM
1) Moorpark College
2) California
3) Steam doesn't work
4) No spot on campus where steam works unless directly connected to schools internet.

paranoidkirb
10-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before:
1) Goldsmiths, University of London
2) London, UK
3) Cannot seem to connect to Steam during daytime but tends to work fine at night.
4) Tested in Loring Hall

Tomsta
10-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Any news on King's College at Cambridge University? Hoping to be there next October.

Go onto a site called student forum and see if you can find an answer there, if not try to find some people you'd be meeting during freshers week

mbc
10-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Let me point out that the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD) shares dorms with U of Toronto and therefore Steam works there

TheLeadButtocks
10-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Chichester College (England, West Sussex) blocks installation of the Steam program campus-wide.

Unsure about Residenial Halls though.

chenn
11-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Anyone know if Humboldt State University in California blocks steam or not?

Earl_of_Sandvic
11-03-2011, 12:18 AM
-1) Name of school - University of Idaho
-2) State where school is located - ID, US
-4) Specific location(s) within the school such as dorm room, library, etc. - Campus-wide

Drowned Maid
11-26-2011, 08:16 PM
-University of Rhode Island, RI
-United States
-Steam works (wireless/wired)
-Every dorm/building works, a little slow in the library but still works.

Rancid212
12-07-2011, 06:33 AM
University of Massachusetts: Dartmouth

Works fine in all dorms. Have not tried playing through campus wireless.

-1) Name of school - University of Massachusetts: Dartmouth
-2) State where school is located - MA, US
-4) Specific location(s) within the school such as dorm room, library, etc. - Does work in all dorm housing directly connected or using a router. The general wifi on campus is fine, does not including the trials of WiMAX, that are going on right now.

BrainOfSweden
12-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Seems like a US base topic, but I saw some nordic universities as well, so I'll contribute with mine. I do believe Steam would work in most Swedish universities, but I can't confirm that, obviously ;)
-1) Name of school - University of Skövde
-2) State where school is located - Västra Götaland's county, Sweden
-3) Whether Steam works or doesn't work - Works, but you need an eduroam username for network access*
-4) Specific location(s) within the school such as dorm room, library, etc. Campus-wide
*eduroam is an authentication model that allows students to connect easily to other universities network. Seems pretty popular in Europe, but I don't know about the rest of the world.

blusky123
12-07-2011, 07:37 AM
in iran we have problem to connect steam with some ISP
but all schools block steam

Mynameiszed
12-07-2011, 10:32 PM
-1) Ohio State University at Lima
-2) State where school is located Ohio
-3) Doesn't
-4) Schoolwide

James-Patterson
12-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Boston University, Steam works fine, wireless that is. I haven't tried wired but I'm sure it would work.

GRIM_1000Eyes
12-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Millersville University- Millersville, PA, US (Works decently on weekends or when no one is up and downloads can be sporadically good, but Steam will take forever to launch and load any game unless in offline mode.)

xkcd999
12-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Duchy College Stoke Climsland, Cornwall, England
No steam access, only browser programs seem to be able to access the net, all other programs (online games, updates for windows, antivirus updates, and of course, steam) cant access the internet.
This is probably true across all 5 cornwall college sites, but none of the other sites have accomodation.

shaun1e
12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Correction for University of Glamorgan-it seems to work alright in the halls of residence, but no-where else.

Also, I go there.

Eunoshin
12-19-2011, 05:03 PM
St. Mary's University
San Antonio, TX
Steam DOES work*
At the very least within Treadaway Hall, does not appear to work on the Wi-Fi, but likely does anywhere you get a wired connection (dorms).

Killz2much
12-20-2011, 08:50 AM
1) Full Sail University
2) Florida
3) Steam does not work.
4) Entire campus. Doesn't work on the school's wifi but it does work on the Guest Network (although it still requires a passcode)

lalilulelo
12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
University of Guadalajara, school of engineering (Guadalajara, Mexico)- it works, but the connection seems to be VERY slow.

Thunderchief
12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Southern Polytechnic State University
Marietta, GA, USA
Works great
Entire campus
(I go here, as well as knivz_and_matchz and xChain Impact)

Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Wake Forest, NC, USA
Doesn't work
Entire campus
(A friend of mine goes here)

-0mega-
12-23-2011, 08:55 AM
University Of Amsterdam,
Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands.
Confirmed at Science Park

Works perfectly.

SkillN
12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
-1) Etelä-Kymenlaakso's Vocational College (EKAMI)
-2) Kotka, Finland
-3) Does work.
-4) Everywhere that has wireless connection.

killswitch23456
12-23-2011, 01:17 PM
1) State University of New York Institute of Technology
2) Utica, New York
3) Yes! It works!
4) Everywhere!! Library, dorms, classroom buildings all confirmed by me.

aidalgol
12-27-2011, 02:57 AM
University of Canterbury (http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/), New Zealand.
Steam works all over the campus, as long as you log into the Internet Enabler (http://www.icts.canterbury.ac.nz/web/internet/ieenabler.shtml)
Best not to download over wifi, and use ethernet instead, because of the 5GB daily cap on wifi traffic: http://www.icts.canterbury.ac.nz/services/charges/wirelesscharges.shtml
I've had download speeds of up to ~3MB/s when the university's been mostly empty (and thus it's network less active); i.e. holidays, late evening.

civicheart
01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Algonquin College
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Steam works, played a few games worked fine
campus wide

BiafraRepublic
01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Here's the info on my school

1.) College of the Mainland (http://www.com.edu/)
2.) Texas City, TX
3.) See Status below
4.) See Status below

Campus wide: Steam can connect and browse Store, Community, and News tabs.

Wifi only restrictions: No downloading or updating games, playing games, or friends list. Wifi allows traffic on ports 80 and 443 only.

Wired network: No known restrictions. However, there are very few, if any, ethernet ports accessible to students.

jack2421992
01-05-2012, 05:47 AM
1)Multimedia University (http://www.mmu.edu.my/) (Malacca branch)
2)Malaysia
3)Able to login and download games real fast, but can't play online because it can't find any dedicated servers.
4)Campus wide whether wired or wireless.

Tested using laptop, and the lab's computers (Uninstalled right after that)

martinz0000
02-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Cesu 2 pamatskola , Latvia.
To install steam you must use adminstrator account , the password for it is 4142. Downloading and playing games dont have any problems.

ed o neil
02-05-2012, 01:13 PM
hoe komt het dat mijn waardes zijn verandert in mijn changelles ? (bijvoorbeeld nu blijkt dat van mijn "famas" dat ik marksman 1 ben met 11 kills van de 25 ; terwijl ik die al wel de holograpich sight thermal heartbeat etc .... ik heb dit wapen namelijk al helemaal "done "gespeeld ! 500 headshot etc etc ) zoals al meerdere wapens had namelijk besloten om alles tot "done" te spelen ; en dan pas op prestige mode te gaan ! en nu blijkt deze weer terug gezet te zijn naar 2 headshot !!!
hoe komt dat ?

Aron
02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Universität Leipzig - Leipzig, Germany - Steam works fine campuswide

aand

Studentenwerk Leipzig, Wohnheim Tarostraße (dorm) - Leipzig, Germany - Steam works without restrictions

Tikstar
02-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Nooooooooooooo! I'm going to the University of Technology Sydney! Screw dat I'm going to the University of New Souh Wales just for that. Like a spit in the face:

Poesy
02-18-2012, 04:38 PM
This is awesomely useful, especially since I will be visiting friends and siblings at a few of these colleges in the fuure. :P

On a different note... Anyone go to either the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) or the Ontario College of Art and Design University (OCAD U)? I am curious to know if their provided internet allows Steam. More relevant at SAIC, since I would be living on campus there for my first year, versus apartment at OCAD U.

Passa
02-18-2012, 11:36 PM
-1) University of Sydney
-2) Sydney, Australia
-3) Works
-4) The "usyd" wifi network with the Cisco AnyConnect authentication allows Steam to work fine, has campus wide coverage.

On an unrelated note:

Nooooooooooooo! I'm going to the University of Technology Sydney! Screw dat I'm going to the University of New Souh Wales just for that. Like a spit in the face:

Haha man... as a former UNSW student... their network is amazing. I was downloading off Steam at 6-7 mbytes a second.

vicjun
02-19-2012, 07:14 AM
I recently moved to a student apartment at the INSA Toulouse campus in France. I am forced to connect to the internet via a VPN client, and Steam won't even start. I also tried the wi-fi on campus, but Steam won't start there either. It doesn't detect an Internet connection.

Can someone deny/confirm this? It should be noted that I'm not a student at the university in question, so I'm on an "external" connection.

Then again, it might be a question of proxy. I have to use a proxy server to connect to the Internet at all.

hua91
02-20-2012, 02:51 AM
1) University Tunku Abdul Rahman (http://www.utar.edu.my/main.jsp)
2) Perak, Malaysia
3) Does not work.
4) Campus Wide Wifi

Someone need to update the list..

xYorYx
02-22-2012, 12:56 PM
1] Technical University Gabrovo
2] Gabrovo, Bulgaria
3] Works
4] Everywhere

emyfella
03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
University Malaysia Pahang, Malaysia.
can't login into steam. has been blocked by university.

emyfella
03-04-2012, 09:39 PM
1) University Malaysia Pahang
2) Gambang, Pahang, Malaysia
3) Does not work.
4) LAN network

randybruder
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
"College For Creative Studies" in Detroit, Michigan — works campus wide

Also, we have a steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/creativestudies

Ettanin
03-06-2012, 01:00 AM
UPDATE:
Fachhochschule Südwestfalen
Iserlohn, Germany
No longer working, IP locked. OpenVPN (as a circumventing method) however works if you use an external DNS server.
WLAN

xJoe88x
03-06-2012, 11:41 AM
1) City University of New York: College of Staten Island
2) NY, US
3) Works*
4) Plugging an ethernet cord directly into your laptop bypasses the filter, using the wireless internet blocks steam from connecting

LemonThieves
03-09-2012, 09:05 AM
-1) Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
-2) North Carolina
-3) Steam Does NOT work
-4) Cafeteria

ProtocolGeek
03-15-2012, 11:50 AM
In order to be able to more definitively identify whether Steam will work or not on a campus or university, it's helpful to know exactly which of the required UDP and TCP ports are blocked.

Firebind.com has a Steam specific test that will validate whether each individual TCP or UDP port that the Steam client requires is being blocked in the outbound direction (Steam client to Internet.)

TCP: 27014-27050
UDP: 1500,3005,3101,3478,4379,4380,27000-27030,28960

http://www.firebind.com/steam

SirEnity
03-16-2012, 11:42 PM
-1) San Jose State University
-2) California
-3) Works
-4) Works fantastically fast at the classroom buildings on wi-fi, but connection is severely slow in the dorms and library, wired or otherwise.

visar123
03-18-2012, 06:46 PM
i honestly didnt expect fanshawe college to be here, i got beat to it >.<

Pinpointmc
03-20-2012, 04:22 PM
-1) Montclair State University
-2) New Jersey, United States
-3) Steam client works a-okay. No problems to report
-4) Works fine campus wide

sgt_phsco
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
University of Plymouth, UK - Steam.exe is blocked on all campus networks including when using your own laptop. Unknown about university owned student accommodation. Can log into steam community through a web browser, and can use the Steam Android app fine. Unknown about iOS version.

=NF=Reaper
03-21-2012, 06:23 AM
I can confirm that Steam works at Opal 3, The Arcade in London, UK.

Anyone know wether it works at the Intercollegiate Halls in London, UK (University of London)?

http://www.halls.london.ac.uk/student/Default.aspx

Graeldon
03-22-2012, 05:17 AM
1. University of Sydney (USYD)
2. New South Wales
3. Steam doesn't work (Can't log in or connect) using Lan, WiFi works but is very slow, and is difficult to find.
4. College: Mandelbaum House

StormofThunder
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
-1) Brockwood Park School
-2) Hampshire, UK
-3) None of the webpages load (including inside of the Steam client, as it works essentially like one), but it is possible to download games, updates and the like if you already those games on your library. (It is also possible to bypass these blockers to load the webpages with TunnelBear (http://www.tunnelbear.com/), though it seems the Steam client does not like it, so it disconnects/logs you off when you use it. As such, it seems impossible to trade/gift, as one is required to be logged into the Steam client while doing so.)
-4) Campus-wide.

FrankTheCat
03-28-2012, 06:12 AM
I go to HVCC (Hudson Valley Community College) in Troy, NY, and I want to clarify.

Steam works if you try to connect early in the morning (before 8am). You can keep your connection the rest of the day if you sleep or hibernate your laptop when not using it. Not sure why this is the case, but it happens on off-campus classes tied to HVCC's network, too (particularly their TEC-SMART location in Malta, NY).

Any time after 8am, and up to 5-6pm, Steam spends a good ten minutes trying to connect before timing out.

I've talked to the help desk and they didn't even know what Steam was. It's not firewall related, since HVCC uses port triggering, etc and keeps ports other than 80,8080 and 443 open. QoS is probably the cause.

I also can't connect to my home FTP server; except in the early morning on the college network. Hope this halps.

Traitor Duck
03-28-2012, 09:20 AM
1) Stockholm University
2) Stockholm
3) From my experience it works absolutely fine once you've connected and logged in with your university account.
4) Campus-wide

elcanadiano
04-08-2012, 03:11 PM
University of Waterloo wireless connections seem to now throttle us to near-unplayable speeds, but ethernet works fine.

octiceps
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
1. De Anza College.
2. California.
3. Steam client and all online gaming DO NOT CONNECT AT ALL; some kind of firewall or port blocking in place.
4. Everywhere on campus.

Arimanthos13
04-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Rochester Institute of Technology? really? I've used Steam and played really well on nearly all of campus. (nearly meaning it's worked wherever I tried, but I haven't tried everywhere)

ZexMaxwell01
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM

Red Light! Limited or No Online Gaming!

Viterbo University (http://www.viterbo.edu) – WI, US (Campus-wide: Dorms and student union confirmed (http://www.viterbo.edu/iit.aspx?id=4940))
s*8.da_baus (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/member.php?u=782117) goes here

CHANGE TO LIME LIGHT

Viterbo Updated their bandwidth and unblocked Steam. Please thank the IT department for upgrading the Internets.

cst003
04-20-2012, 02:22 PM
1) University of Texas at Arlington
2) Arlington, TX
3) STEAM WORKS
4) Tested in Libraries, but it's the same campus-wide network.

Charmed Pop
05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
1) Pittsburg State University
-2) Kansas
-3) Works
-4) Confirmed dorms, but it's the same campus-wide network (plus, there's a club that has LAN parties in the computer labs)

Thomly
05-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Hasselt University, Belgium
Steam is blocked on every network (LAN, wireless) except the wireless Staff network. Students can't use the staff network due to it having a login.

Campus wide, offline mode works if you restarted Steam in offline mode before connecting to the network.

bha2597
05-16-2012, 04:35 AM
This topic is 10/10

Newbie77
05-26-2012, 09:40 PM
btw seneca college is not blocked just went there today to play with ma friends :P

orangpelupa
06-01-2012, 07:44 PM
-1) Name of school
Diponegoro University

-2) State where school is located
Indonesia, Central Java, Semarang

-3) Whether Steam works or doesn't work
Not work

-4) Specific location(s) within the school such as dorm room, library, etc.
All places including you home if you use the University as your ISP

surprisingly, Origin from EA and GoG work normally. Maybe because they use normal HTTP connection with no need open special port for active connection.

Btw steam for Android still work.
maybe Valve can make steam for pc works like steam for android? O_o

Machinima
06-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Going to Univeristy this year, that's why I quit XBOX and went into PC gaming :)

Fengor
06-10-2012, 08:23 PM
-1) University of New Orleans
-2) Louisiana
-3) Works
-4) Connection speed varies greatly between buildings. Anywhere from 10kb/s to 10mb/s. Worst disparity in Pontchartrain dorms; North Hall has slowest speeds on campus while South Hall has fastest. Wired connection only in dorms. No guest access to network.

T260G
06-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Baker University
Baldwin City, KS 66106
Green light -- just went back for STAG and decided to check status of online gaming since the new president can be a luddite. Servers all up, gaming fine, online multiplayer fine.
This holds in the library computer den as well as Gessner dorm.

Emporia State University
Emporia, KS 66801
Green light -- spent both years of grad school comfortably playing Steam games in my GTA office, connection also holds in library and (thanks to the active gamer community) all public terminals.

Acidic
06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
-1) New College Stamford
-2) Stamford, Lincolnshire, UK
-3) Only works in Offline Mode
-4) Bit of a gamble, some days Offline Mode is accepted and put through, but otherwise completely rejected. I also used to go here, just finishing my studies now :P

Belinrahs
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Lawrence Technological University (http://www.ltu.edu) – MI, US (Campus-wide: Ports blocked (http://www.ltu.edu/computer_center/helpdesk.asp ))
Eclyps19 (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/member.php?u=296064) goes here
lostinseganet (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/member.php?u=405555) goes here

I go to Lawrence Tech and I can confirm that Steam is NOT blocked. I tested all over campus, downloading games, playing TF2, and chatting with friends, and had zero problems. The two places that I have tested the most are the Atrium and North Housing. Steam downloads very very fast and they do not cap how much you use up or down. Both Wi-Fi and wired ethernet work equally as well. Please correct the entry and add my name to the list as going there - thanks!

Glixzor
07-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Dammit, not McGill and Queen's :/
Scratch that, Waterloo too.
Well, at least they're under green light.

thisnameisused
07-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Winona State University, MN, US

Campus-wide, wired, wi-fi, dorms, they all work.

I'm attending.

HarryHy
07-16-2012, 02:08 PM
1) State University of New York (SUNY) Onondaga Community College
2) Syracuse, New York, US
3) Works fine. Nothing is blocked as far as I can tell.
4) Have only tested in the residence halls, using both the "public" WiFi and the in-dorm ethernet plugs. I do not know about the main campus network, but resnet works great.

DreadPirateRob
07-18-2012, 06:00 PM
-1) Name of school
Colorado State University

Fort Collins, Colorado

It does not work (at least with everything I have tried)

Dorm rooms, but I assume everywhere because the wifi if probably the same all around campus.

I don't go to CSU, I am just here for a camp

BoClucky14
07-19-2012, 02:14 PM
-1) University of Tennessee - Chattanooga
-2) Tennessee
-3) Works
-4) University Wi-fi, specifcally tested in EMCS, Lockmiller I, and the UC, works with Steam. Unsure about wired connections in the newer dorms.

Also, Steam works with the college's more secure (and unsecure) networks, both available to students.

Zorpix
07-20-2012, 01:21 AM
-1) Carthage College
-2) Kenosha Wisconsin
-3) Works :D
-4) An ethernet cord is required if you're going to do anything worthwhile in the dorms, but wifi everywhere else is fine! :)

Gseff
07-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know if the University of Lincoln allows access to Steam?

Zakafein
07-24-2012, 02:20 AM
Well this could be a factor in choosing colleges :P

umbratatemporae
07-26-2012, 11:20 AM
For Florida Institute of Technology, Roberts Hall is confirmed to work completely with Steam. It is fully green-lit.

Edit: Oh, and if you want to actually get a worthwhile internet connection, use a cat5 or cat5e ethernet cable and connect directly to the network. It's supposedly a 1gbit throughput, (I highly doubt you get that much usage, ever), but at least you shouldn't have any problems with bad lag on your end.

NOTE: I have no idea if you can host servers in Roberts Hall, as I never tried.

AntBond
07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Steam works perfectly at the University of Twente, The Netherlands. I have only tested it at "Educafé", but I think it will work at the entire campus since we have a high speed wireless internet connection everywhere at the campus.

CleverTag
08-01-2012, 12:40 PM
My school's already on the list, and I just graduated, but I thought I'd add my forum name to the list

-1) University of Pennsylvania
-2) Pennsylvania
-3) Steam works
-4) Campus-wide: First-rate network

Waxenwings
08-10-2012, 02:03 PM
-1) Name of school
New York University

New York, New York

Steam always works

As far as I'm aware Steam works everywhere around campus.

HereticBE
08-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Hogeschool Gent – Aalst, Belgium (Campus-wide: Ports blocked)

goofkop goes here

Not only on the campus in Aalst but also on every campus in Gent.

chrissomerry
08-12-2012, 01:04 AM
For what it's worth:
1) Name of school
Flinders University

2) State where school is located
South Australia, Australia

3) Whether Steam works or doesn't work
Steam always works

4) Specific location(s) within the school such as dorm room, library, etc.
Anywhere you can get a wifi connection, if you're logged in.

(Presumably the same for Adelaide University in the same state)

Chaos1907
08-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania - Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. Full game access. Game preferably using a hardwired connection. I went there last school year but I had to withdraw because of grades. (I wasn't gaming a lot, I was in just a hard major).

I will give you a update about Delaware County Community College by the end of the month. I sent in a application and still have yet to hear back from them if I got accepted.

ruipalmeira
08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
1) Name of school
I.P.C.A.(Instituto Politecnico Cavado & Ave)

Barcelos, Braga, Portugal

Steam doesn't work. PERIOD. The IT department won't even open the necessary ports to be able to develop for MSoft LIVE, let alone to play games on steam.

There are no dorms at this polytechnic institute, so it will be up to the apartments you find on the area and pay with your money.

PS: not that the polytechnic is well known and shiz, just that we have pretty big ERASMUS partnerships with other european polytechnic/colleges, and it would matter for people that want to come and study through that partnership.

iCaramello
08-20-2012, 07:48 AM
1) Name of school
Universidade de São Paulo

São Carlos, São Paulo, Brazil

Steam always works

Not only on the main Campus (São Paulo city), but also on the other Campi across the state, for example on São Carlos and Ribeirão Preto.

candle_86
08-20-2012, 08:52 PM
1) Name of school
Mycomputercareer.com

Irving, TX

Steam always works

Classroom hardline connection

ChristopherPine
08-21-2012, 04:44 AM
-1) Lithuanian University of Health Sciences (LSMU)
-2) Kaunas, Lithuania
-3) Works, except for hosting servers in some dorms, address your administrator to forward ports.
-4) Campus-wide

and...

-1) Kaunas University of Technology (KTU)
-2) Kaunas, Lithuania
-3) Works, except for hosting servers.
-4) Campus-wide

Turbokill
08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
I see Pennsylvania State University (Main) listed in red, but I have never encountered a problem with using Steam. Or gaming at all. My roommate even managed to connect his 360 and played online regularly, no problem whatsoever. Unless things changed while I was gone for the summer. However, from searching the thread, I think the previous post about Penn State only reflected a Library, and was Beaver campus, not Main (UP) campus.

1 Pennsylvania State University (Main)
2 University Park, PA (Located @ State College, PA)
3 Works - via ethernet (Downloading and Gameplay.) I've never tried gaming online via wi-fi but I have downloaded games successfully without a problem on wi-fi
4 Campus wide.

Works perfectly, connection and speed is fine.

Steam Platforms used: Mac & Windows

I can reconfirm this within a week as I move back in soon.

CptRump
08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
-1) State University of Plattsburgh (SUNY Plattsburgh)
-2) New York
-3) Does not work for me. Says I have no internet connection when I am clearly connected to the school's internet
-4) dorm room (Wilson Hall)

Turbokill
08-26-2012, 11:07 AM
I see Pennsylvania State University (Main) listed in red, but I have never encountered a problem with using Steam. Or gaming at all. However, from searching the thread, I think the previous post about Penn State only reflected a Library, and was Beaver campus, not Main (UP) campus.

1 Pennsylvania State University (Main)
2 University Park, PA (Located @ State College, PA)
3 Works - via ethernet AND Wi-Fi :D (Downloading and Gameplay.)
4 Campus wide.

Steam Platforms used: Mac & Windows

Reconfirmed and updated. Everything works fine at Penn State Main Campus (University Park aka UP)

Vincent2128
08-27-2012, 02:35 AM
1) Renaissance College Hong Kong
2) Hong Kong SAR (China)
3) Steam does not work - only offline mode (unless connected to the Staff network, which requires a password)
4) Steam does not work in all areas of the school

joey1562
08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
1) Wichita State University (WSU)
2) Wichita, Kansas
3) Steam does not work on the guest network.
4) All areas of the school will not allow Steam.

alvaroga91
09-03-2012, 12:08 AM
1) Universidad Politecnica de Madrid & Universidad Complutense (2 different colleges, but tested both!)
2) Madrid, Spain.
3) Nothing will work. Won't connect to guest or password protected networks.
4) All the campus.

demonzrulaz
09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
It seems that Stevens Institute of Technology (Hoboken, NJ) blocks steam now. I'm not sure but it seems that way since I can't even login to steam app in my school wireless. It works at home....

Is there anyway to verify this? Or even workaround it? I just want to play TF2!!!

Edit: I have attached a Microsoft Network Monitor Capture file. Please let me know if you can make sense of it, I can't!

http://www.mediafire.com/?ec0cb7l9c3jq8n2

Maverick
09-05-2012, 03:11 AM
"Da Vinci College" in The Netherlands blocks Steam completely. All of them.

Burnin simon
09-06-2012, 02:16 PM
-1) University of Guelph
-2) Ontario, Canada
-3) Steam does not connect to server ANYWHERE

Hypershadsy
09-09-2012, 12:15 PM
-1) Name of school:
Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne

-2) State where school is located:
Fort Wayne, Indiana

-3) Whether Steam works or doesn't work:
It does, see below

-4) Specific location(s) within the school such as dorm room, library, etc.:
I've only tested within the student housing. It says in the OP that it doesn't work in the CS/Engineering building, but it does.

To get it to work, you have to be very lucky in Googling through their site to find:
http://new.ipfw.edu/its/
See "Getting Connected in Housing"? Click More info...
Decide wether you want wired or wireless, then click on one of the links in "Related Articles" section.
You'll be taken to a step-by-step instruction to connect.

joey1562
09-11-2012, 08:38 AM
I made an earlier claim. Now I have to revise it seeing as they upgraded their wireless.
1) Wichita State University (WSU)
2) Wichita, Kansas
3) Steam does not work on the guest network, but will work on the secure network. You need to login with your WSU ID and password.
4) All areas of the school will allow Steam.

Xdertje
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
-1) Name of school:
University of Twente

-2) Place where school is located:
Enschede, Holland

-3) Whether Steam works or doesn't work:
Steam works fine (1Gbit connection with a cable, campus wide very fast connections through wifi)

-4) Specific location(s) within the school such as dorm room, library, etc.:
Campuswide fast Steam connection

Grasseh
09-17-2012, 09:15 AM
1)Collège De Joliette
2)Qc,Canada
3)Red Light
4)Doesn't work anywhere.

marioman1
09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
1) University of Utah
2) Salt Lake City, Utah
3) Everything works
4) Only tested in the Union building on UConnect Wi-Fi.

shaybba
09-25-2012, 03:22 PM
there is a problem with Aberystwyth connection, i tried many variations of port opening, but every time i try to launch tf2 or other game multiplayer it loses connection for half hour, any solution?

Pronouncemyname
10-02-2012, 11:10 PM
1. Robert Morris University of Illinois
2. Various locations in Illinois
3. Works
4. Chicago and Dupage campuses work. In order to use wi-fi you have to register your computer with the university though.

kumoro
10-03-2012, 01:49 PM
University of Glamorgan
Wales, UK
Works
In halls (you have (Campus-wide: Ports blocked)), however it does work in halls

darth62969
10-06-2012, 07:39 AM
mercer university steam works fine... MW3 says the NAT type is strict though i assume that means you cant host a server. also have issues with host transfers in the same game.

JazzyMusicK
10-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Student at Dakota State University here (Madison, SD), Steam and most, if not all, games work fine. The only problem is after connecting the campus connections you must authenticate with something called Cisco NAC Client.

From what I've seen all "gaming" ports are open and the only one that caused frustration for me was port 6667 which is a common IRC port.

letscallitoff
10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
-1) CSU Dominguez Hills
-2) California
-3) Steam doesn't work, just gives you the option to start in offline mode.
-4) I've only tried from various locations using the wifi and it hasnt worked anywhere. not sure about a wired conenction.

apullz
11-04-2012, 12:55 AM
University of Abertay, Scotland

It seems some steam games (all counter strikes and other valve games) uses some sort of P2P for online play. Causes disconnects after a minute or two as the uni blocks all p2p.

elgaton
11-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Università degli Studi di Verona, Verona (Italy) (Halls)

Steam works. Note: two WiFi networks are provided, one called "UNIVAIR-OPEN" (unprotected, for legacy devices; supports only Web browsing and access to the University mail servers) and another one called "UNIVAIR-WPA2" (protected, no limitations). Make sure to connect through the "UNIVAIR-WPA2" network.

Inofa
11-26-2012, 06:14 PM
University of East London, London.

I'm on a wired connection and I can't get past the purchase confirmation screen after entering my payment details on the Steam client.

Edit: perfectly fine to go through the website though.

bocephvs
11-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Lord Fairfax Community College, Middletown, VA. Can't connect to Steam.

TwinKilla
11-30-2012, 05:55 AM
Northampton University (UK)

Steam works fine in all halls. Very good connection and its one big lan network so is good for lan games

kingshivan
11-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I also confirm Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) Middletown, VA USA to be unable to connect to Steam.

Rific453
12-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Oakland City University (on list)
I go here OzymandiasLlewellyn (http://steamcommunity.com/id/OzymandiasLlewellyn/)

Recently added security that limits number of non HTTP connections to a specific number of users. Basically limits all non-port 80 or 43 traffic. Cannot connect to Steam unless you're lucky or have a proxy. Not going to be going there any more after this semeseter (3rd year).

ChaosDX1
12-05-2012, 10:47 PM
University of Central Florida

Confirming it works quite well.

Have found that sometimes it is nearly impossible to connect to the steam network during really busy times of the year like during finals due to what I assume to be high traffic.
The solution I've found is to wait until an hour that most students are asleep, (2am perhaps) then log on. Once you've logged on you won't have any trouble. Just never turn off your computer or log out of steam.

*Problem and solution not confirmed. This is just my guess on what's been going on with my connection this past week.

nicklemarr
12-20-2012, 12:03 PM
-1) Georgia Southern University & Georgia Tech.
-2) GA.
-3) No issues.
-4) On and off campus all work. Libraries at GSU are a little slow, but no real issues.

DreadPirateRob
01-07-2013, 05:00 PM
1) BYUI (Brigham Young University- Idaho)
2) Idaho
3) Steam does not work.
4) I'm in the dorms and I have wandered around campus and it doesn't work anywhere.

It looks like mumble and reddit are down for the count too.

Steam name: RockRobster (I go here)

Pusimjau
01-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Hadeland Folkehøgskole, Norway

Steam works

Elite_Treacle
01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Steam doesn't work on the Coast Campus of Clacton Coastal Academy (They blocked it after everyone was using the T1 line to grab their Steam games quicker). It does however work on the Town Campus because the technicians here are idiots.

xStarkx
02-07-2013, 08:53 AM
At the University of Western Ontario you will not connect to steam 99% of the time. However, if you get in you can play games without connection problems. (Work around for laptops, just have steam open at a wifi that works then enter Western's wifi and have fun!)

Arctic Ice
02-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Yes, I'm still alive.

Here's a Valentine's update :)

♥ Steam!

littleedge
02-21-2013, 11:14 AM
You already have this one on here but here's some extra info:

University of New Hampshire
New Hampshire, US
Steam Works
There are two wifi connections across the entire campus. For Steam to work all the time, you need to be connected to unh-highspeed, NOT unhwireless.

NXNeko
02-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Valencia College
Florida, US (All Campuses)

Works via wireless networks and has high bandwidth 20/3 so it runs well.

Faalagorn
02-26-2013, 04:45 AM
University of Zielona Góra, Poland - faculty of electrical engineering, computer science and telecomunications (http://www.weit.uz.zgora.pl/en/) - ports blocked, can't log in to steam (WiFi)

kyo2004
03-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Universidad Nacional de Colombia - Sede Bogotá : Ports Blocked, can't log in (even can't access offline mode)... :/

NiTrOcss
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
This is nice how to add it? Does this also "apos" if you need to use 3th party programs to bypass networks? lol

NiTrOcss
03-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Universidad Nacional de Colombia - Sede Bogotá : Ports Blocked, can't log in (even can't access offline mode)... :/

Your freedom is your friend ;)

http://www.your-freedom.net/

(You're welcome)

Izzaux
04-06-2013, 09:57 AM
May I request University of Texas: Austin and the University of Georgetown?

moizeus
04-06-2013, 12:36 PM
-1) Valencia College
-2) Florida
-3) Yes
-4) Anywhere(Suggested is Lounge, and Library)

totallagness
04-21-2013, 07:58 PM
KDU College

Penang, Malaysia

Steam is blocked in classes and the foyer, have not tried the other places but I assume they are all blocked too.

(You're welcome)

Does this software really work? Just installed it, gonna try it in campus later.

Rivv
06-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologias (part of New University of Lisbon), in Lisbon, Portugal.

It's blocked :(

Ki!ler-Mk1
06-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Can a VPN Subscription circumvent port based blocking?

kumoro
07-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Just to let you know University of Glamorgan is now called University of South Wales.

it merged with Newport and changed there name a few months ago

Lucky Observer
07-25-2013, 12:56 AM
1) University of California: Berkeley
2) California
3) Yes!
4) Everywhere!

Surprised Berkeley wasn't put on the list yet. UCB has freakishly fast internet, so whenever I go to the library, 70% of the people there are on Steam or some other video game. .__. Kind of annoying actually.

cclloyd
07-25-2013, 11:55 PM
University of Massachusetts: Dartmouth

Works fine in all dorms. Have not tried playing through campus wireless.

I tried a couple weeks ago and it seems to work fine through their wifi, but that was in the new library, and not in the dorms, where wifi connectivity is limited. I'll find out in a few weeks!

NinjaEngineer
07-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Universidad Nacional del Comahue, Neuquén, Argentina.

Steam works fine there (if only a bit slowly).

Metallica93
08-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Works perfectly at Illinois State University. Go Redbirds :D

ara
08-22-2013, 02:24 PM
1) Name of school
Northeastern State University

Oklahoma

Works!

All floors of the John Vaughan library, Tahlequah campus

Nur
08-25-2013, 06:34 PM
1) Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
2) Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3) Doesn't work
4) Blocked in residence, most likely whole campus too.

Specific ports tested:
TCP: 27014-27050
UDP: 1500,3005,3101,3478,4379,4380,27000-27030,28960
all blocked.

pancakebaker
09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
1) Alice Lloyd College
2)Pippa Passes, Kentucky
3)Does not work
4)Tried several connections here on campus, nothing.

Captain Trips
10-15-2013, 08:34 PM

(You're welcome)

So is Steam cool with using a VPN in this scenario? For example, the way my university is set up, I can't connect to the Defiance server. Could I use a VPN for such non-nefarious deeds?

graywolfe42
10-22-2013, 11:43 AM
University of North Carolina: Charlotte

Connection to the Steam website using a browser allowed on open campus wifi, secure campus wifi, and dorm room networks.

However the Steam desktop application cannot connect on either the open or the secure campus wifi.

YariKrishna
11-14-2013, 08:57 PM
University of Southern Queensland: Toowoomba campus.

Steam website works, but the Steam client is totally blocked and cannot be accessed at all through the university's connection.

7-11
11-16-2013, 12:06 AM
University of North Carolina: Charlotte

Connection to the Steam website using a browser allowed on open campus wifi, secure campus wifi, and dorm room networks.

However the Steam desktop application cannot connect on either the open or the secure campus wifi.

Same here in my university. I can access the Steam website but can not get the application online. It shows the typical "Could not connect to the Steam network." notification you usually get when trying to connect without internet.

cookiestork
12-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Pitzer College in Claremont, CA, USA has great internet and is Steam accessible. I graduated a few years back. Also played a lot at Harvey Mudd College, which is already on the list.

p90
01-07-2014, 01:24 AM
-1) University of Siegen
-2) NRW,Germany
-3) Does not work
-4) Only tried the high energy laboratories

codefreak5
02-07-2014, 08:00 AM
1) Neumont University
2) Salt Lake City, UT, USA
3) Works
4) Campus-wide

alec2212
05-10-2014, 04:55 AM
Hi,
On the first page it is said "nanyang polytechnic (singapore) campus-wide",
But I haven't been able to log in with steam...
What can I do???

Raining
05-11-2014, 06:54 PM
"Università degli Studi del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro" Alessandria, Piemonte, Italy.

Tested every single port, both wifi and cable and everything is blocked.

RED :(

troopershades
07-10-2014, 06:30 AM
1) Alamo Community Colleges (specifically Northwest Vista Ridge)
2) San Antonio, TX
3) Doesn't work =(
4) Have tried in cafe and various other buildings.

Sulleh
07-14-2014, 12:53 PM
1) Sheffield University.
2) Sheffield, UK.
3) No problems.
4) Seems to work everywhere.

1) Hull-York Medical School.
2) Hull/York, UK.
3) Doesn't work.
4) Tried in Diana, Princess of Wales residential block, to no avail.

Vradash
07-22-2014, 02:11 AM
1) Fachhochschule Düsseldorf
2) NRW, Germany
3) Works
4) Campus-wide

SgtPotshot
08-30-2014, 10:52 AM
University of North Dakota
I played in Hanock and Swanson dorms, and I know people who played in many of the other dorms; wireless is kinda slow, though.

soren121
09-09-2014, 11:01 AM
1) University of Georgia
2) Athens, GA, USA
3) Works perfectly!
4) Campus-wide, no restrictions.