PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 1 censored?

weaponman
11-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi,

I live in Germany. Will I receive the censored version or am I finally able and allowed to obtain the original game without paying expensive shipping costs?

in.meinem.turm.
11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
If you change the language of the Steam interface to englisch and the game-language to englisch it will be uncensored.

Hyplex
11-21-2008, 02:23 PM
If you change the language of the Steam interface to englisch and the game-language to englisch it will be uncensored.
No... >.> the language doesn't decide whether the game is censored or not.

OP, you will get a censored copy of HL1 if purchased through Steam in your location.

bäm!
11-21-2008, 04:08 PM
No... >.> the language doesn't decide whether the game is censored or not.

OP, you will get a censored copy of HL1 if purchased through Steam in your location.

This guy is wrong, I bought it from Germany with a German credit card and it's uncensored (playing with english language settings, don't know about German ones)

Otto-Grainer
11-21-2008, 05:12 PM
It appears to be different for different people. It might just recognize your IP address in a different section in Germany, giving you a non-censored version. I really have no idea though.

eAi
11-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I believe it varies from game to game too.

OpT1mUs
11-22-2008, 04:11 AM
This is ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, I bought HL for myself and my brother who is in his room like 10m from me and I got uncensored version while he got censored one...

Where is the logic in that? :rolleyes:

Hobbes1098
11-22-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm getting censored too. A friend of mine who lives in Germany bought me the game and it's censored, even though I live in the US.

I sent the question to Steam Support three times over a span of a few days, and I still haven't gotten an answer.

devilseye
11-22-2008, 09:40 AM
im also censored to and i live in united states and my friend lives 4 miles away from me XD

OpT1mUs
11-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Hah ok, in my post 10m meant 10 metres (~11 yards) :] aka my brother is in the damn room next to me and we got different versions :]

Although, there is a solution:

OK HERE WE GO!
1. Create another folder in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\YOUR NAME\half-life" like "uncut" or anything you like...
2. Find yourself a gcfScape (a programm which lets you open gcf files and do stuff to them).
3. Open half-life.gcf in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps" folder with gcfScape.
4. In that file find "valve" folder and extract its contents into the "uncut" folder or whatever you created.
5. Restart steam and new "uncut" half-life will appear as third party mode.
6. Launch it AND HAVE FUN! :D

P.S. In Germany or any other countries which force such restrictions it's probably illegal... Just warning.

P.P.S. I've tried this out myself! 100% working!

P.P.P.S. If you want to use HD models just install the pack (There is a link in a sticky thread in Blue Shift forums), it will appear as a gcf file in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps" folder, open it with gcfScape and then extract all models, sounds etc. into the same folders in your "uncut" folder as they were in gcf file.

Try_lee
11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
That hasn't worked for me, unfortunately.

I've done exactly what you've typed, but now I get an error message. Something along the lines of expected version 30, but you've got version 0 of hgibs.mdl. Looking at it again, there appears to be a number models marked as incomplete within that archive, which means there was almost certainly a problem downloading the game. Let's try downloading this again...

Try_lee
11-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Appologies for the double post, but re-downloading didn't help either.

I think the problem is being caused by "base goldsrc lv.gcf". This seems to contain the model files that are incomplete in the main gcf file, although I'm guessing it contains the censored versions.
Soooooooo... Anyone else got any ideas as to why this is happening or how to fix it?

devilseye
11-22-2008, 01:36 PM
i hope its because someone at steam pressed a wrong button and now some people get a messed up version and soon steam will realize it and fix it

Muobman
11-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I have had this problem also, I live in the UK and was gifted a copy of the game by someone, again, in the UK. The only possible correlation between the problems everyone seems to have had is that they got gifted the game, so it appears the problem lies in the steam gifting service, which seems to think that everyone lives in Germany. I really hope this is fixed as robots just aren't the same as military and death by crying is a little anticlimactic.

Dylan Galaga
11-23-2008, 06:12 PM
I live in the United States and I had the game gifted to me a few days ago. It's censored for me, too. This is lame. Is there seriously no fix for it?

Muobman
11-24-2008, 10:51 AM
I sent a message to the steam support centre, and they said that they'd removed the low violence setting from my account and gave me a series of instructions on what to do to sort it out. Just do the same and it should fix it! :D

octavio
11-24-2008, 03:23 PM
they said that they'd removed the low violence setting from my account and gave me a series of instructions on what to do to sort it out

What is this series of instructions?

devilseye
11-24-2008, 07:19 PM
yes please do tell me these instructions

Muobman
11-25-2008, 11:44 AM
You need to contact them first, and they will remove the low violence settings from your account, they then gave me these instructions - and I quote:

Please exit Steam, then go to the C:\Program Files\Steam directory (this is the default with a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it), and delete all of the files except for:

Steam.exe

And the folder:

\SteamApps\

Restart your computer and test the issue.

I'm going to go try this in a mo, so conclusive results later.

Edit:

Nope, no change, asking why now

devilseye
11-26-2008, 09:03 PM
i sent a message to steam support also wonder what they will say

CrazyThang
11-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Told me to do the same thing, didn't work. And I as well was gifted it. This is seriously frustrating as I have been trying to figure it out for like a week or 2.:mad:

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I live in the US and it was gifted by a US...ian.

devilseye
11-28-2008, 09:23 AM
hey i have a old account with hl1 on it maybe if i delete all the hl1 content from one account and download from another account it will fix it

naw it didnt work it just seems to not work for hl1 only its still gory on games like opposing force and blueshift

CrazyThang
11-28-2008, 11:21 AM
naw it didnt work it just seems to not work for hl1 only its still gory on games like opposing force and blueshift

same for me

Otto-Grainer
11-28-2008, 02:44 PM
You will have to be careful of buying it again. Not just because you may have uninstalled it.

Oh yeah, I live in the US and it was gifted by a US...ian.

Yeah, United States-ian.

SoulVacCubed v2
11-29-2008, 06:17 AM
Germany must be training for the "Robot Rebellion" :P lol all cheap jokes aside.. This is one of the most annoying things that I have encountered that absolutely stinks of lack of organization and lack of caring for the gaming community. No I don't mean Germany and its censorship, I mean that I bought HL1 in the USA from a large company, I wasn't gifted nor did I buy it online in any fashion..

So as I see it, some morons in the line of operations (most likely distribution) was lazy and sent out censored versions and uncensored versions randomly.

Maybe Steam doesn't know what is doing here and they messed it up, by downloading each version randomly or without caring enough to make sure it actually worked right...

I do not accept playing a game, that is supposed to be the original or "classic" or w/e and then find out its been changed so that it has robots instead of human soldiers and lol phasing out dead bodies lol.. scientists who sit and are disappointed they died lol.. NO! lol I want GORE! More then that I want to be able to seeing some of the old scenes I found so funny so many years ago when I 1st played HL1.. like head crabs jumping into a fan lol.. why I ask why..

Anyway I just wanted to let that out and also point out that its not only gifted ones that are doing this.

lol At least they could work with Valve and make a patch that makes it uncensored.. How hard would it be? lol don't they already limit things from being purchased or downloaded to certain countries?
--closer--
meh.. I barely know anything about this and this is also my 1st post, so I hope this isn't too long or too anything lol I just had to do it :P
--PS--
oh and I am also going to try to do that whole content lock on then off thing.. some people claimed it worked.. I am hoping it will.. either way I will update my post with what result I get..

Edit/Update: Well I turned on the content lock and then loaded up a save and then 4 seconds later quit and then started up again and turned off the content lock. Then I loaded up a save near the start so I could test it on some scientists :D and to my delight they actually exploded.. some still sat down but they would still explode.. I get gears and w/e but oh well.. I will settle for that for now lol explosion is better then phase out lol.. YET I then quit and started again and loaded up a later save to check the grunts and they were robots and back to bodies fading away.. :( So I am guessing it was a temp fix and whenever I loaded hl1 back up it switched it back to censored with content lock deactivated.. I seriously don't think this will be an easy fix at all lol.. well I guess I will make out one of those tickets sometime soon.. Lets all hope this gets fixed asap..

PS: oh how I miss those human grunts :(

devilseye
11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
so from all the people having this same problem and when told by valve the fix that didn't work, did u guys get a reply yet

Ricochet_Saw
11-30-2008, 12:13 PM
its based on your steam account birthday settings... its all the same game no matter what, just turn off the content lock

Bartz_Has_Bite
11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
I had the game gifted to me a few days ago and got the censored version. I can understand that it relates to your steam profile birthdate, but I'm 17 and living in Canada. M rated games are 17+

imd_frozz
11-30-2008, 09:36 PM
yes, i have this trouble too, im living in Russia

SoulVacCubed v2
12-01-2008, 01:41 AM
its based on your steam account birthday settings... its all the same game no matter what, just turn off the content lock

hmm, well I do not believe you, because mine is shows me as 23 which I am. Mine is still the censored version and switching the content lock on and off still gives machine parts not body gibs.. (lol I haven't checked yet on the grunts :P maybe making it a surprise for me.. maybe if they are back to human with this "fix" I will be happy).

Why do you say that it is based on the Bday setting in the steam account profile of the person?

CatzEyes93
12-01-2008, 08:56 AM
forgive my interruption on a rather important problem... but would any of you be so kind as to throw up a few screenshots showing the different changes with the locked content? I would like some screenshots for my website.

janka^
12-01-2008, 10:07 AM
wtf? i bought 1 year ago an uncensored retail hl and now it become censored, wtf is going on here

beegoody
12-01-2008, 10:15 AM
wtf? i bought 1 year ago an uncensored retail hl and now it become censored, wtf is going on here

I guess it'll be fixed, the problem is on VALVe's side, I gifted Half-Life to a friend and it ended up censored (metalic gibs + robotic soldiers). None of us are in a "zone" where the game should be cut.

edit: submiting a support ticket is the best thing you can do!

Muobman
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Right, I got a new series of instructions, I have to use regedit to change the registry on my pc to allow the violence, now what I want to know is why can't they just patch it? Why do I have to risk editing windows registry files for something that's their mistake in the first place?

beegoody
12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Right, I got a new series of instructions, I have to use regedit to change the registry on my pc to allow the violence, now what I want to know is why can't they just patch it? Why do I have to risk editing windows registry files for something that's their mistake in the first place?

There is no risk in doing so, it's a registry entry related to the game itself, but the method doesn't work, I tried it out.

devilseye
12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
support still hasn't responded to my message "sighs"

Muobman
12-01-2008, 01:19 PM
There is no risk in doing so, it's a registry entry related to the game itself, but the method doesn't work, I tried it out.

Yeah, I know there shouldn't be a risk, but with windows vista, who knows?

devilseye
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
you know the weird thing is about this is that i cant even switch content lock on and off it wont even show up when i click it weird

Otto-Grainer
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
forgive my interruption on a rather important problem... but would any of you be so kind as to throw up a few screenshots showing the different changes with the locked content? I would like some screenshots for my website.

Hmmm, there's no exact way to show it. I'm only guessing a shot with bloody gibbery pieces, and another with a translucent body 'decaying' away.

beegoody
12-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Hmmm, there's no exact way to show it. I'm only guessing a shot with bloody gibbery pieces, and another with a translucent body 'decaying' away.

No, thats the content lock which is accessible to everyone! The censored version actually has blood! The difference is that human gibs are replaced by metallic junk and soldiers are Robots (the multiplayer model).

devilseye
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM
someone post when they have found a fix for this game

Otto-Grainer
12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
No, thats the content lock which is accessible to everyone! The censored version actually has blood! The difference is that human gibs are replaced by metallic junk and soldiers are Robots (the multiplayer model).

Ah, sorry about that. I got confused with the content lock and censored version.

devilseye
12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
so back on topic has anyone found a freaking fix for people who live in united states

beegoody
12-03-2008, 01:13 AM
so back on topic has anyone found a freaking fix for people who live in united states

Yeah, contact support.

devilseye
12-03-2008, 11:32 AM
oh i did on November 24th and they still havent replyed

beegoody
12-04-2008, 06:59 AM
I just contacted support for a friend, they basicaly do something on their side (uncensoring the game on your account) and all you gotta do is a clean reinstall of the game. It works :)

devilseye
12-04-2008, 11:35 AM
wow they just told me to completely delete steam and reinstall everything i hope this works

it didnt work thanks steam now i gotta reinstall all my games

Intey
12-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Differs from game to game man.
With HL1 it doestn matter when and where you bought it, nor what your steam language is set to. All that matters is the half life language setting.
Change that to English and its uncut. I dare say change it to something other than German.

beegoody
12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
wow they just told me to completely delete steam and reinstall everything i hope this works

it didnt work thanks steam now i gotta reinstall all my games

Yes they did not specify that you also have to clean up the registry from VALVe's stuff!
Just reinstalling the game doesn't solve the problem (or just partially)

Uninstall Steam (control panel -> Add/Remove apps)
Hit windows key + r ( run at the start menu ) and type regedit
Delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve (or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve on 64-bit Windows)
Reinstall Steam

nautsch
12-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Someone here wanted an example.

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=3798

This is a german page (though google translate should do the trick for those, who want to actually read the text and not only look at the pictures), which describes the cuts made on the game.

google translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.schnittberichte.com%2 Fschnittbericht.php%3FID%3D3798&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=de&tl=en

octavio
12-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks for that link.
If anyone wants that robo-grunt, here's a link: http://files.filefront.com/low+violencezip/;9906258;/fileinfo.html
It also has the PS2 robo-grunt.

jedijon2004
12-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I am having this censorship error as well, and I live in California.
I have tried everything that was suggested in this thread, even what beegoody has said and nothing has worked.

octavio
12-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Did you try contacting Steam Support?

jedijon2004
12-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Did you try contacting Steam Support?

I have, but they have not responded back yet. This was 4 days ago.
For living in the US, and being over the age of 18, I would figure that there would be no censorship on my game, regardless of whoever gifted it to me.
I am really hoping that this is an error on Valve's part, and that they are working on a small fix seeing as there are so many people in the US having this problem.

While the whole censorship problem isn't too big of a deal, it detracts from playing. The lack of the original content, including the gore and death animations makes the gaming experience less than it should be. And for having previously owned Half-Life and knowing what the game should be, I would really like to have it back to its former glory.

devilseye
12-09-2008, 04:32 PM
jedi i had the same problem steam will fix it for you for it has something to do with your account

jedijon2004
12-09-2008, 05:28 PM
jedi i had the same problem steam will fix it for you for it has something to do with your account

That is great to know! I would love to play my game the way it was meant to be played, and I figured Valve would have a fix for me at some time. They are usually good like that.

beegoody
12-10-2008, 04:11 AM
I have, but they have not responded back yet. This was 4 days ago.
For living in the US, and being over the age of 18, I would figure that there would be no censorship on my game, regardless of whoever gifted it to me.
I am really hoping that this is an error on Valve's part, and that they are working on a small fix seeing as there are so many people in the US having this problem.

While the whole censorship problem isn't too big of a deal, it detracts from playing. The lack of the original content, including the gore and death animations makes the gaming experience less than it should be. And for having previously owned Half-Life and knowing what the game should be, I would really like to have it back to its former glory.

It is an error on VALVe's part, they'll take your support ticket into account, change your game to non-censored, you'll then have to completely uninstall steam the way I suggested and reinstall it. Worked for my brother and a friend :).

jedijon2004
12-10-2008, 09:59 AM
It is an error on VALVe's part, they'll take your support ticket into account, change your game to non-censored, you'll then have to completely uninstall steam the way I suggested and reinstall it. Worked for my brother and a friend :).

Oh! That is great news!
Where did you send your email to when you requested this error to be fixed? I want to make sure I sent my email to the right correspondent.

beegoody
12-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Oh! That is great news!
Where did you send your email to when you requested this error to be fixed? I want to make sure I sent my email to the right correspondent.

It's not an email, you'll have to submit a support ticket here (https://support.steampowered.com/). You'll also have to create an account there if you haven't already done that.

jedijon2004
12-10-2008, 02:27 PM
It's not an email, you'll have to submit a support ticket here (https://support.steampowered.com/). You'll also have to create an account there if you haven't already done that.

I see. Thank you again.
I will submit a support ticket right away!
I am not exactly sure what to put this error under however.
Would my problem go under steam question, account question, or game question?
And then which sub-category?

This is my first time dealing with Steam support, so I am not sure as to how the process of submitting a ticket actually goes.

beegoody
12-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I see. Thank you again.
I will submit a support ticket right away!
I am not exactly sure what to put this error under however.
Would my problem go under steam question, account question, or game question?
And then which sub-category?

This is my first time dealing with Steam support, so I am not sure as to how the process of submitting a ticket actually goes.

I wasn't sure what to put myself so I put something like "installation problems" or just "installation" IIRC.

jedijon2004
12-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I wasn't sure what to put myself so I put something like "installation problems" or just "installation" IIRC.

I'll try that.
Thank you for putting up with all of my questions beegoody. I appreciate it.

AntonioSLO
12-11-2008, 07:44 AM
im having the same problem. and im not from germany. :P sent question to the support couple of day ago and still waiting for reply. :eek:

beegoody
12-11-2008, 08:29 AM
I'll try that.
Thank you for putting up with all of my questions beegoody. I appreciate it.

You're welcome, I hope steam support will solve your problem. When they do and you reinstalled everything correctly, start up the game, open up the console and type "violence", you'll have all commands starting with violence. All there value should be at 1.
Why? Like if it wasn't enough, in the cut version, content lock is on by default! (When content lock is on, all those values are at 0).

Or if you aren't as impatient as I am, start up a game and see by yourself teh red blood and all those fleshy gibs :D

Muobman
12-11-2008, 03:22 PM
There is a way to fix the full violence, I don't know if you have to complain first, I know I did, but maybe valve has issued an overall fix. Anyway, all you have to do is exit steam, go into regedit (go to run and enter "regedit" or just put it in the search bar in vista) , go to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE\Half-life\
Delete the whole half life folder, back it up first if you are worried, open steam again and load it up. All fixed. Done. Proceed with game without robo-♥♥♥♥s who have paintball guns.

jedijon2004
12-11-2008, 04:27 PM
There is a way to fix the full violence, I don't know if you have to complain first, I know I did, but maybe valve has issued an overall fix. Anyway, all you have to do is exit steam, go into regedit (go to run and enter "regedit" or just put it in the search bar in vista) , go to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE\Half-life\
Delete the whole half life folder, back it up first if you are worried, open steam again and load it up. All fixed. Done. Proceed with game without robo-♥♥♥♥s who have paintball guns.

This worked perfectly for me.
I had gotten a email from steam saying to delete the usertoken 2 and 3 as well as the DELV keys and delete the steam folder except the steam.exe and steamapps folder and it didn't work.

Deleting the whole Half-life registry folder works completely!

beegoody
12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
This worked perfectly for me.
I had gotten a email from steam saying to delete the usertoken 2 and 3 as well as the DELV keys and delete the steam folder except the steam.exe and steamapps folder and it didn't work.

Deleting the whole Half-life registry folder works completely!

Yes, someone needs to mention in a support ticket that just uninstalling the game isn't enough.

There is a way to fix the full violence, I don't know if you have to complain first, I know I did, but maybe valve has issued an overall fix.

No it isn't an overall fix, I have an account that is still censored, even after a clean reinstall.

jedijon2004
12-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Yes, someone needs to mention in a support ticket that just uninstalling the game isn't enough.

I mentioned in my support ticket that Muobman's method worked while Valve's method didn't, so that in the future, the Valve support can help others who have problems like ours.

AntonioSLO
12-12-2008, 04:28 AM

to bad this didn't work for me... and i'm still waiting for the reply from the support. :mad:

Venom
01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi guys,

I am from Slovakia and have same problem...first time I dont know what the hell is going on with my favourite game...:mad: I received my copy of Half Life as a gift and it was censored..I already contact Valve two days ago and now I am waiting for response...hope they fix it...:confused:

alexander9945
06-26-2009, 06:00 AM
I have allso got an censored version of half life but the thing is that when I installed the game at my moms pc I got the non censored one and when I installed it on my dads I got the non censored one (his pc is in the room next to me) but when I install it on my pc I get the censored one! :confused: and yes I am using the same acc on all of them so, I dont think that it is the ip or the location you live or what cind of steam client you use I think it eather is what lounge you have on your steam client or wich steam server you are downloading from btw I live in sweden

um0123
06-26-2009, 11:38 AM
wait, why is it censored in Germany? what in the game is censored?

weaponman
06-26-2009, 11:51 AM
"Why?" When it was released, localed institutions found it too hard. Therefore they made a censored version.

"What?" Cyborgs or whathever instead of soldiers, no red blood, no corpses.

tschumann
06-26-2009, 03:13 PM
You can see the replacement grunts here: http://files.filefront.com/low+violencezip/;9906258;/fileinfo.html
One is the normal one, the other is the PS2 high-def version.

PMY
05-16-2010, 05:41 PM
What a freaking bug. I've already tried every damned method to fix it but without any effect.

Tried this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4917-GLXC-1280
and removing ClientRegistry.blob
and changing language and download region
and reinstalling Half-Life and Steam client (along with cleaning registry)
and this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8512302&postcount=10
and this: http://nambulous.wordpress.com/2007/01/03/half-life-source-uncut-even-in-germany/
and even asking Steam Support to do something.

People encounter this problem all over the world. But it seems that Valve doesn't care a bit.

gorpie
05-16-2010, 07:35 PM
What a freaking bug. I've already tried every damned method to fix it but without any effect.

Tried this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4917-GLXC-1280
and removing ClientRegistry.blob
and changing language and download region
and reinstalling Half-Life and Steam client (along with cleaning registry)
and this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8512302&postcount=10
and this: http://nambulous.wordpress.com/2007/01/03/half-life-source-uncut-even-in-germany/
and even asking Steam Support to do something.

People encounter this problem all over the world. But it seems that Valve doesn't care a bit.

Contact Support and they will fix it for you.

(I assume you're talking about having robots of doom rather than HECU marines.)

PMY
05-16-2010, 08:06 PM
I've already asked Steam Support.
The answer was "we will be unable to remove this content lock."(C)

So it looks like a deadlock.

Symptoms are standard for low violence bug: no blood upon hits, sometimes NPCs just vanish into thin air instead of being torn to pieces, friendly NPCs sit down and shake heads instead of dying, robots instead of soldiers.

gorpie
05-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Sorry, I missed your second to last sentence the first time.

Did they say why they can't remove it?

(Not quite the same, but I was playing an Ep2 mod and got the Little Rocket Man achievement from the mod. Support can't reset that for me, which is kind of annoying, though not quite the same...)

PMY
05-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Alas, they didn't specify the reason.

beegoody
05-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Where have you bought the game? If it was on Steam store, in what country where you when you bought it?

gorpie
05-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Alas, they didn't specify the reason.

Maybe someone else can help you. If it makes you feel any better, one guy was envious that he didn't have "sweet robots of doom".

Intey
05-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Where have you bought the game? If it was on Steam store, in what country where you when you bought it?

DOn't make no difference with HL1, this one is solely settings specific and does not come in different "versions".

DPV111
05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
I am having a variation of this problem myself. It is only affecting Half-Life Source, which I got in the Retail box of Half-Life 2 Game of the Year Edition. All other Half-Life games (Anthology, Orange Box) are perfectly fine. Still waiting on a response to my ticket. I live in Canada so there are no censorship issues.

PMY
05-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Retail, Russia, this April.
And of course there shouldn't be any content lock in my version.

DPV111
05-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Finally got a response from support. They had me delete the entire Valve registry folder and restart steam. It worked. I don't know if they adjusted a setting in my account first, they didn't say.

PMY
05-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Cool. Finally Steam Support removed this permanent content lock from my account as well. But WTH, they did it only after I've created another question ticket using another support account. Anyway, better late than never.

Question008
05-26-2010, 08:50 PM
whats the difference between the censored and uncensored versions?

gorpie
05-26-2010, 08:52 PM
whats the difference between the censored and uncensored versions?

In the German censored version, instead of Marines you get robots. No gibs, no blood?

Question008
05-26-2010, 09:52 PM
haha wow that sucks

gorpie
05-27-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't know. One guy wanted to know how to get "sweet robots of doom". Of course, he probably only wanted it as an option to play once or something. :)

PMY
05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Probably, one can just check content lock option in game settings to enable it at any time.

JokersFlame
06-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Man this is happening to me now.

I really hate this!

I'm an American!

gorpie
06-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Man this is happening to me now.

I really hate this!

I'm an American!

See this post (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15065589&postcount=85). And maybe this one (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14987183&postcount=76).

If those don't work, you might have to contact Support.

JokersFlame
06-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Exit from Steam, and open the "Start" menu in Windows.

Select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".

Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Half-Life\Settings\

Right click the registry values "User Token 2" and "User Token 3" , choose "Delete", and then exit the registry.

Restart Steam.

Worked like a CHARM.

Please note that this WILL delete your save files!

gorpie
06-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Worked like a CHARM.

Please note that this WILL delete your save files!

Glad one of them worked! (I actually didn't know about that registry one.) Good thing it's a fun game? :)

If someone needs to try that method in the future, copy your SAVE folder to your desktop, or someplace else. (Steam\SteamApps\yourname\half-life\valve\SAVE)

Dezdem
06-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I have this trouble too, (I'm living in Russia)

Tantrix187
07-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Well, sent a ticket for support now.

Seriously, I ♥♥♥♥ing hate Germany. If it weren't for them, there wouldn't be a censorship to begin with.

Same with Left4Dead. Now I have a censorship on that aswell.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

gorpie
07-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Seriously, I ♥♥♥♥ing hate Germany. If it weren't for them, there wouldn't be a censorship to begin with.

Sorry to say this is not true... Books have been burned for centuries, and censorship (stylization, I think they called it) existed even in ancient Egypt.

Hope Support gets you sorted out soon!

Tantrix187
07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry to say this is not true... Books have been burned for centuries, and censorship (stylization, I think they called it) existed even in ancient Egypt.

Hope Support gets you sorted out soon!

I know that, but I am talking about censorship of video games. Germany is the main cause of censorship.
I contacted support. They won't remove the censorship because I live in Germany.
They said the "Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien" is only allowing the censored version of Half Life.

http://www.bundespruefstelle.de/bpjm/information-in-english.html

Intey
07-06-2010, 02:22 PM
No, youre full of !"*> aka you're trolling.

Im German and all my kraut fellas don't have your "problem". Set HL1 to english through the properties tab thingy and it comes with gore and blah and whatnot. This is not for some bowing down in front of a countries law thing but a mere attempt to get a lower age rating and hence hopefully more sales, ...exploiting a healthy dose of laws, man. Uncut HL1 got sold to an 18+ audience from below the counter or in restricted 18+ areas of shops. The low violence thing came with a 16+ lable on it. Back then the CD keys that came with either of the two, would not differ from each other in that sense.

Eventually valve came up with steam and ppl registered their CD keys to their respective steam accounts. Now here valve didn't know whome to send 16+ or 18+ versions and hence settled for a new approach...: The introduction of the properties tab approach a few years ago.

There you go evil troll, riding a symbian no more now.

Tantrix187
07-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Why don't you just go ahead and ask the support about an uncut Half Life on German area?
I am sure they will tell you otherwise.

gorpie
07-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Why don't you just go ahead and ask the support about an uncut Half Life on German area?
I am sure they will tell you otherwise.

Well, maybe you could *try* changing your language to English though. You might have to do it for both HL1 and Steam, but maybe it will go ahead and download the english language versions of the content. (It does for HL2.) Anyway, I don't know if it will work, but it's worth trying. :)

Tantrix187
07-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Well, maybe you could *try* changing your language to English though. You might have to do it for both HL1 and Steam, but maybe it will go ahead and download the english language versions of the content. (It does for HL2.) Anyway, I don't know if it will work, but it's worth trying. :)

I already did that long time ago. Everything is still censored 8(

I deleted the base goldsrc already, and I switched everything to English, even where I want to download (UK-London), let's hope this works.

EDIT: No, doesn't change a thing.

Tantrix187
07-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Now, I found a solution, but I am not sure if some of you gonna like it.

I have talked with the support and there is a way to get the HL games uncensored within Germany. But it will gonna cost you.
All you have to do is to get a retail US-version(mind uncensored) and then contact the steam support. You will request that you switch the censored "version" with the uncensored one.
Now, if you got a ticket, and the request is approved, make a pic of your retail, the CD-key and the receipt.

And then it's done.

I am gonna try that out next month, I will tell if it worked. If it's successful, I will do the same with my Orange box.

Intey
07-08-2010, 02:32 AM
What is happening to you from behind ffs? A bazillion of ppl just use the language tab and its the international version. Clean your cache or something, it's not a "steam registered wrong contend thing".

Ah whatever, you won't stop anyways.

Tantrix187
07-08-2010, 02:50 AM
What is happening to you from behind ffs? A bazillion of ppl just use the language tab and its the international version. Clean your cache or something, it's not a "steam registered wrong contend thing".

Ah whatever, you won't stop anyways.

I told you, I tried everything, cleaning the cache, removing registrry.blob ,switching to English language and download location, messing with the registry,patching,adding violence.gfc and editing the config, reinstalling everything, even steam itself, it just doesn't work.
The half-life.gcf is censored, I deleted it like 20 times and it gets redownloaded over and over again, same with the base gldsrc.gcf.

I don't know what else to do, I even tried to make a 3rd party mod out of (uncut) half life, but the loading bar fails miserabely.
I just have the ♥♥♥♥ card, and I have to deal with it.

gorpie
07-08-2010, 05:45 AM
I told you, I tried everything, cleaning the cache, removing registrry.blob ,switching to English language and download location, messing with the registry,patching,adding violence.gfc and editing the config, reinstalling everything, even steam itself, it just doesn't work.
The half-life.gcf is censored, I deleted it like 20 times and it gets redownloaded over and over again, same with the base gldsrc.gcf.

I don't know what else to do, I even tried to make a 3rd party mod out of (uncut) half life, but the loading bar fails miserabely.
I just have the ♥♥♥♥ card, and I have to deal with it.

Sorry, you may have said this on the previous page. Did you try changing the language for both Steam and the game? (If you haven't, it would be about the only thing you haven't tried, and worth a shot...) :)

Tantrix187
07-08-2010, 05:50 AM
yep, did that already. Steam is running on English, download location is from UK, and every game I bought is switched to English.

It seems really to be a bug with the base goldsrc lv.gcf since the violence.cfg in it still is on "0". And my half-life.gcf is incomplete, it lacks of the models of the Marine and stuff. Deleting it or replacing it with a complete one doesn't change anything 8(.

gorpie
07-08-2010, 06:09 AM
Can you edit the violence.cfg to 1?

(I have never really looked at any of the files, so don't know what all .cfgs there may be. You may have to look in config.cfg--if there is one--and make a change there, too.)

Tantrix187
07-08-2010, 06:37 AM
I did. It has blood now, but models didn't change to normal, and guts are replaced by metallic parts.

It's really frustrating.

D!ffr@c+0r
07-08-2010, 08:16 AM
EDIT: Woops, nevermind!

Fabiolinks
07-08-2010, 07:37 PM
♥♥♥♥♥ men, about 60 years ago your contry could take the World Down. But you lost the WW2 and now the USA sent to you censored versions. Talk with steam suport and they will help!

(Ps Im a Brazilian)

gorpie
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM
♥♥♥♥♥ men, about 60 years ago your contry could take the World Down. But you lost the WW2 and now the USA sent to you censored versions. Talk with steam suport and they will help!

(Ps Im a Brazilian)

He has talked to Support.

Lenny the Bruce
07-12-2010, 09:59 AM
How about buying the original English Half Life CD game? I'm sure if you search you can get a copy somewhere.