PDA

View Full Version : Where do xbox -users play at?

ago
11-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Hello everybody!

To make it short:

I'm under the suspicion xbox players use the same ranted servers as the pc users do (not mixed up on the same server), and i think that's the main cause of the lags and the reason behind this fishy shared server system.

Xbox-users usually do not hire game servers, and since it's impossible to run a local server on a xbox, i'm asking myself, where do these people play?

I understand that much money would be needed to make sure every xbox-user is able to find a server, if valve would sponsor the servers, but do pc-users really have to pay the price for them?

Am i right, or how does valve make sure xbox-users can play the game online?

Regards!

chippy
11-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Surely X-Box Live servers run by Microsoft? Isn't that what you pay your subscription for?

ago
11-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Surely X-Box Live servers run by Microsoft? Isn't that what you pay your subscription for?

Wouldn't it be financially impossible for ms alone to host enough servers for every game on the xbox? I'm mean even with 5$ per month from every live user it seems a little too much to me. But you could be right, though.

linfosoma
11-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Wouldn't it be financially impossible for ms alone to host enough servers for every game on the xbox? I'm mean even with 5$ per month from every live user it seems a little too much to me. But you could be right, though.

It's a fact. That's the way it works.

The problem is that when MS servers crash you can't play ANYTHING online. Wich happens around x-mas each year..

plasmapanzy
11-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Microsoft DOESN'T host dedicated servers. Anyone who consistently plays on Xbox should know this..ever wonder why games drop in COD4 when some random kid leaves? Or on Gears of War? That is why this game was supposed to be even more exceptional, because it was going to offer dedicated servers.

StickyBee
11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Dont be stupid, several XBl games use dedicated servers.

This is one of them.

Sure, gears and CoD4 dont, but on the other hand, frontlines, BF bad company and UT3 do. Some (such as R6 vegas) offer it as an option.

plasmapanzy
11-27-2008, 10:00 AM

This is one of them.

Sure, gears and CoD4 dont, but on the other hand, frontlines, BF bad company and UT3 do. Some (such as R6 vegas) offer it as an option.

..don't be stupid, who offers those dedicated servers when you choose the option? The host, AKA PLAYER...not Microsoft.

ragenrok
11-27-2008, 10:01 AM
it depends ont he game, some games have dedicated servers hosted by microsoft,a nd other have the host of the game host the servers off his xbox.

ago
11-27-2008, 10:01 AM

This is one of them.

Nah, i'm afraid plasmapanzy is right. After some google search i've found several articles stating that vavle promised to provide xbox-users with enough dedicated servers. This means, valve hosts them or to be more precise: WE host them.

http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-360-left-4-dead-getting-dedicated-live-servers-101652.phtml

Good game, valve...

iTimmeh
11-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Microsoft do not provide dedicated servers for (m)any games. The LIVE servers are used for matchmaking, most Xbox 360 games use a peer to peer system for multiplayer. Any dedicated servers for games are provided by the company developing/publishing the game.

EA games use dedicated servers because EA wouldn't have implemented online functionality were they not allowed to exercise an iron fist over what people can do with their games but this is the exception, definitely not the rule. Valve is another exception, it was mentioned a while back that they would be providing dedicated servers to the 360 crowd.

I very much doubt that the Xbox 360 players are using the same servers as we are. Pretty much everything about the Xbox 360 is proprietary so they have control over the system, I can't seeing it playing nice with servers set up to serve PC gamers.

StickyBee
11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
erm. you can dedicated host r6 vegas. It is an option. people do it. When you dedicated host you dont play in the game, otherwise it wouldnt be a dedicated sodding host.

whether you have the bandwidth to be doing it is another matter.

frontlines had 90 dedicated servers for launch. the devs came out and said this. I dont know what the server standards for bad company were but have read articles with the devs commenting on the dedicated servers that they have.

these games HAVE DEDICATED SERVERS. l4d searches for a dedicated server on the 360 version, just like ours.

(I thought most EA games just logged into a seperate master server system to XBL, not that they were actually running dedicated servers)

plasmapanzy
11-27-2008, 10:21 AM
erm. you can dedicated host r6 vegas. It is an option. people do it. When you dedicated host you dont play in the game, otherwise it wouldnt be a dedicated sodding host.

whether you have the bandwidth to be doing it is another matter.

frontlines had 90 dedicated servers for launch. the devs came out and said this. I dont know what the server standards for bad company were but have read articles with the devs commenting on the dedicated servers that they have.

these games HAVE DEDICATED SERVERS. l4d searches for a dedicated server on the 360 version, just like ours.

(I thought most EA games just logged into a seperate master server system to XBL, not that they were actually running dedicated servers)

My entire points was that you pretty much called me stupid when Microsoft doesn't in fact, offer dedicated servers. I never said that 360 games don't have dedicated servers...you proved my point by saying that the Frontlines COMPANY offered the servers.

Edit. And yes, that is what I said, the player hosts the dedicated server in R6, not microsoft or even Ubisoft.