PDA

View Full Version : Steam Overlay Not Working in Prince of Persia (the, uh, new one)

XerxesQados
12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm rather enjoying my new purchase of Prince of Persia: The Lack of Subtitle, but the launcher for the game is ridiculously odd. The actual game EXE only launches the game if told to by the launcher. Otherwise it opens the launcher. Essentially, this makes any known workarounds to get the Steam Community overlay working in it impossible. Also my In-Game status disappears as soon as I launch the game.

Is there a command line argument I can launch PrinceofPersia_Launcher.exe with to make it, um, launch?

Also, launching Launcher.exe doesn't work, since the game EXE is tied to Steam (if I double click PrinceofPersia_Launcher.exe it gets opened by Steam). So the Launcher tries to launch the game, but Steam picks it up, and that makes the game think the Launcher didn't launch it, and THIS IS REALLY CONFUSING.

crummy
12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
I noticed the same thing. Annoying.

StingingVelvet
12-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Same thing happened with Assassin's Creed when it launched, and eventually they got it working I believe. Give it time.

Gehrschrein
12-11-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm experiencing the same issue with PoP. When the launcher fires up, it registers in steam, but once you hit "Launch Game", it stops showing up in Steam. I really hoped this issue was limited to Sands of Time.

Ruyo
12-11-2008, 04:19 AM
After some digging through the support pages, the Prince of Persia series is currently not compatible with Steam...

Kinda funny how games that existed before Steam are compatible but games you can buy ON steam aren't.

Gehrschrein
12-11-2008, 04:55 AM
After some digging through the support pages, the Prince of Persia series is currently not compatible with Steam...

Kinda funny how games that existed before Steam are compatible but games you can buy ON steam aren't.

Well the old series (Sot, WW and T2T) might not be compatible, seeing as SoT does not register at all in steam community, but the new PoP registers perfectly, and one appears "In-game", as long as the launcher is running. When the game proper is started, it no longer registers.

Zaxionsx
12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Alright I can run the SoT, WW, and 2T, BUT every time I try loading the new one i can get to the launch window set my graphic options, but as soon as I click Launch Game, windows pops up with a message telling me it shut PoP down, or vice versa. Either way I've been waiting to play this game and I'd like to get it fixed as soon as i possibly can, any and all help will be greatful.

LordJuanlo
12-12-2008, 02:18 AM
xFire overlay works perfectly after last update, Steam should be able to implement it too

killingtime
12-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Yup, I noticed that SoT didn't have the overlay (I assumed it might just not be DirectXy enough) and neither does the new one. It's not really a deal breaker for me but it's a nice to have. When putting games on a digital distribution platform it would be nice to check that your game works with it properly.

Gehrschrein
12-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Funny thing is, that if you start SoT as a Non-Steam App, it gets overlay'd properly.

Chris Fifty-Two
12-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Noticed that it didnt work and tried to find a work-around for it but so far I have had no soccess so guess we have to hope for an update to fix this.

Melchiz
12-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I assume that it is disabled intentionally because it causes problems with game performance/stability.

Would it be possible to get official word on this? Is there a better place to post to get a response from the Ubisoft people?

Scared
12-14-2008, 06:37 PM
It would be best posting on the Ubisoft forums (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/861108132).

Melchiz
12-16-2008, 07:03 PM
No word from Ubisoft, even on the forums.

Ugh.

Melchiz
12-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Any word on this?

Gehrschrein
12-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Any word on this?

No word. I guess this is how it'll stay. It's a shame, really. I was expecting more support with such a new and important release.

Well...

Melchiz
12-21-2008, 07:49 PM
I have received a response from Steam support:

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue. We are aware of the problem and are currently working on a fix for it.

The overlay has been purposely disabled while compatibility issues are investigated.

We hope to have this issue taken care of fairly soon.

Please check the SteamPowered News page (linked below) to get more information on the patches for known issues.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news

Lincoln
12-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Well the old series (Sot, WW and T2T) might not be compatible, seeing as SoT does not register at all in steam community, but the new PoP registers perfectly, and one appears "In-game", as long as the launcher is running. When the game proper is started, it no longer registers.

I found an easy workaround for anyone who cares. Go to Where ever it is installed and simply rename PrinceOfPersia_Launcher.exe to something else, then rename Prince of Persia.exe to PrinceOfPersia_Launcher.exe
:D

Melchiz
12-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I found an easy workaround for anyone who cares. Go to Where ever it is installed and simply rename PrinceOfPersia_Launcher.exe to something else, then rename Prince of Persia.exe to PrinceOfPersia_Launcher.exe

Right, but based upon the response Steam support sent me, I wouldn't force it until they come out with a fix. It appears that it causes problems, which is why they have intentionally disabled it.

Scared
12-25-2008, 04:09 AM
I added POP retail as a non-Steam shortcut and launched the game. Everything went fine to start with yet as soon as I brought up the community and closed it down once, I was unable to move in the game. I could open the community and do stuff (in the community) yet nothing in game. I am sure thats what support means when they say 'compatibility issues'.

Swatseal
12-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Some of my other games previously had this problem (like Psychonauts). I believe it has to do with the launcher running before the game. It has been fixed with Psychonauts, so hopefully they will fix this soon.

Zorlac
12-31-2008, 03:36 AM
It would be best posting on the Ubisoft forums (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/861108132).

Ubisoft didn't make steam, and I'm pretty certain they don[t care so much if then steam community works with the game or not, that would be more of a valve thing, so this is the proper place.

Freyar
12-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Any word on this?

B-B-B-Bird Bird Bird!

Falkentyne
01-12-2009, 07:11 PM

There's no prince of persia.exe anywhere
All I see is princeofpersia_launcher.exe and "launcher.exe" in another folder....

shackanaw
03-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Sigh.

I was hoping this would have an easy workaround, like renaming files, which has helped with other games in the past. I attempted to do that, but the game just crashed.

I don't know why games even need these little launchers...

curlyhairedboy
03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
i was WONDERING why shift-tab didn't work. :P

Corion
03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I am waiting for this to be fixed as well.

When I buy games on Steam I expect to get certain features, such as the ability to chat with Steam friends while playing and the ability to download the game via Steam, at the expense of the account-association DRM.

Please get this working.

curlyhairedboy
04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
couple days ago, i noticed the overlay appeared, but it was hella buggy. now it's gone. i assume they're still working on it :P

shackanaw
05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Well, some progress has been made. It now shows my friends that I am playing the game, even after the launcher closes to launch the game. The overlay still does not work, however.

*VeLeRoN*
06-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Still doesn't work.

kpow
06-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Pathetic that it still hasn't been patched.

calvin82
11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Is this problem still there today? The deal is interesting (50% off) but if i can't use the Steam overlay while playing this game, no thanks.

Sp1ky
11-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Yup still there.

SinNiji
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Pathetic that it still hasn't been patched.

Second that. :mad:

k37chup
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Second that. :mad:

never buying any games from ubisoft ever again
good support wa...

wouldn't be so bad if could run game in windowed mode, at least could see new chat messages on desktop

Velimere
05-01-2010, 06:55 AM
GG, Steam. Not even being able to work with a game you sell? Shame on you.

Lodan
05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Steam overlay and screenshots features stills doesn't work with trilogy of POP -.-''

Elitejon
05-27-2011, 06:55 AM
I contacted the support. Lets see what they do.

HitDeity
05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Wow. Still not fixed. Sorry, shameful state for such a good game. They just don't care is all. Otherwise, it wouldn't have taken 3 years of "work". They gave up long ago.

DassJennir
06-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah, i open the launcher (how i ♥♥♥♥in hate ♥♥♥♥in launchers...) and then when i start the game (PoP 2008) there's no steam overlay or nothing. So i cant take any screenshots or have in chat, oh, and my gameplay time stats dont even count. Shame on Ubisoft and Steam.

Heaven.
07-14-2011, 03:38 PM
I can' t beliave, 3 year to fix a ♥♥♥♥in overlay bug lol

SHOOTAN_GAEMS
07-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Seriously, this is completely and utterly shameful. Beyond pathetic. DON'T ALLOW COMPANIES TO SELL GAMES ON THE STEAM STORE IF THEIR PRODUCTS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH STEAM.

clonii
07-27-2011, 01:03 PM
haha Still not fixed im going to try the renaming the launcher exe.

BundD
07-28-2011, 04:23 PM
same issue here

Fenizrael
08-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Three years and the problem still hasn't been fixed. I don't think there's any hope in sight, guys =(

AdnyH
02-09-2012, 04:41 PM
What an unpleasant surprise to find this thread :( Came to the forums looking for info on why my friends see me as not in game, and why the overlay doesn't work... and it's been like this for three years?! Wow.

Anyway, here's a way to fix one of the problems (not showing as in game): create a .bat file (in the game's directory) with these commands:

set SteamAppId=19980
PrinceOfPersia_Launcher.exe

Running that .bat file will then launch the game, bypassing the launcher and allowing Steam to see you as in game properly. Still no overlay though :(