PDA

View Full Version : Looks like $1 = €1 after all

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

supernaut
06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Better late than never for you, that is. But those of us in the so-called Tier 1/2 are getting shafted with extortionate prices. For what reason? No one knows and no one wants to explain it to us too.

I think you are looking at it in the wrong way when the bigger picture is taken into consideration. You are dissapointed because they decide to roll this tiered system out now, seven months after all this started. I'm sure you are wondering, why the hell couldn't they have done this back then, you'd have been so much happier with Valve for doing that.

But i on the other hand am even more annoyed at Valve for rolling this out now because it seems like it could be an attempt to dilute the community that are so against these prices. And is basically saying that those countries in the lower tiers deserve the cheapest games. Do they really? i dont think so.

At the moment, i'm finding it very hard to come to terms as to why Valve have gone and done this and thier motivation behind it.

You're taking this waaaayy out of context. This is regional pricing, plain and simple, not some new thing done by Valve. Different countries have different economies, currency values, etc. Most of the countries in Tier 1 and 2 are considered wealthy countries (the majority of Tier 1), although it's weird that only the Baltic states (Tier 3) have those specific prices and that everyone else besides Tier 1-3 pays in dollars. If things were normal, like prior to Dec 08, then no one would've felt the need to make a list and to see the price differences within Europe. It's only now that Steam has gone down the tubes, people start to have an interest towards these things.

One things for sure, this currency feature is incredibly flawed, but what you have to take into consideration is basic regional pricing that most publishers and all industries practice. With that said, the price difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3 is a bit too much, even in the context of regional pricing.

My guess is that Valve has seen a significant drop-off in sales for the Baltic states, so they lower the prices and see how the market reacts. I can only speak for myself though and I haven't bought a single Valve game since November. Maybe Tier 3 had a lot more countries before this currency feature was introduced and us Estonians, Latvians and Lithuanians were too cheap to throw our money at Valve.

As many people in this thread have said: "Speak with your wallets". Valve sees the market reaction in real-time and they make decisions for price changes based on that information.

EDIT:

There is no Tier classification, it's called regional pricing. Rhoninthewizard divided the countries into groups and labeled those groups with the word "tier". This isn't anything new.

F3nya
06-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm from Estonia and I'm still not happy, for 6 months I've been living with this ♥♥♥♥.
I'd wish the old system with paying in usd+tax, where's it was the same EVERYWHERE, no discrimination, nothing.
Sure it's cheaper for Valve games, but every other game is still messed up.

Wulfklaue
06-20-2009, 04:55 PM
OMG I live in Tier 3 country - Lithuania, and I appreciate the low price because living conditions in our country are very bad.

It might seem unfair for the other countries but in those countries wages are more than 5 times bigger... so actually it is fair.

Although, it's kinda disappointing that this system was introduced after SO much time and without any official explanation.

Well, better later than never, I guess...

Lifelike? We are from the "Tier 1". Now, i don't know about your country, but i don't expect that you pay 57+% on your wages, 21% on everything you buy, and get hit with several other taxes ( inc "eco taxes", "recycle taxes" ).

I think when we start to level things up, the wages are not on a 5 times bigger scale. For instance, we have many people from Poland working here, that send money back home ( a Tier 2 country ). Most work in "black", aka outside the tax system for a reason ( and the government does not like that *lol* ). They save up, and minimize there expenses here or else they have little to none to send home ;)

And our politician are surprised that company after company leaves to East Europe, or Asia for manufacturing goods with these taxes. ;)

Now, it does look like Valve is having problems in Central to East Europe, that they started with these new price structures.

The question is, why are the UK price structures then still so low?

Valve Complete Pack
Tier 1: 89,99€
Tier 2: 69,99€
Tier 3: 54,99€

UK: 62.9€

We can see that Valve's prices for the UK are between a Tier 2 & Tier 3. Now, last time i checked, the UK qualified as a Tier 1 country. ;)

Check the other prices, same deal... In other words, even with these changes prices, the UK is actually still better to buy from even for Tier2 country's ( aka, for what it's worth, almost the entire EU )...

To be honest, i'd hate to be the guy that needs to manage all the prices now that they are splitting it up even more. If we have a hard time seeing the tree from the forest...

But its true, we don't know what Valve is thinking. So, in other words, when our national deficit ( what is already freaking big ) gets worse, we will go from a Tier 1 to a Tier 2 price structure Valve? I don't think so.

Look a lot like divide & conquer to me. Split the markets up even more, and make it harder to compare. And impossible to buy from other country's ( unless you get somebody to gift you, but thats a backdoor ).

That reminds me about how we did a lot off comparisons between the US & EU prices. Got a mate working in the US, telling me about the US prices vs Belgium price. The Tax difference on the wages is only 33% less on the US :eek: And product prices with even less taxes etc... And then we see that the US product prices are lower then the EU ones ( even when you take out any taxes in the comparison ). *huh* :confused:

O yea, while i can order games from Steam US using him, i don't bother with it. Valve needs to get there act together.

And yea F3nya, i also want the old US price back ( with no region discrimination what so ever ) expect of course the tax difference that a country may have.

Shadout
06-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Tier 1: 49,99€
Tier 2: 37,99€
Tier 3: 29,99€
This is bad...
At first I though it was just because tier 1 countries had higher VAT, but obviously price differences like these are way beyond the VAT differences.

Apparently it wasn't enough to screw over most of the EU once, they had to do it again.

Feeling bad about not stopping to buy anything from Steam months ago now, instead I kept buying a few games when they were actually cheap. No more.

Rhoninthewizard
06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
After looking at the catalogues of other publishers, I couldn't find one that has different prices across Europe. So far Valve are the only ones to have done this.
The only thing I found was that Garry's Mod had different prices, maybe because it is part of some packages with Valve games.
Garry's Mod
Tier 1: 9,99€
Tier 2: 7,99€
Tier 3: 5,99€

@supernaut
While regional prices existed before this fiasco, it was mostly a couple of games that had higher prices outside the US(Bioshock comes to mind), it wasn't at this magnitude.

I thought it would be interesting to see where Steam US and Steam UK prices stood compared with these new prices.
Tier 1>Steam US
Tier 2=Steam US(some games are cheaper, other more expensive, they cancel each other out in the end)
Tier 3<Steam US
Tier 2>Steam UK>Tier 3
Note: there are some exceptions to this

My opinion on this change is that it is too little, too late. Had this been implanted from when they introduced regional currencies, or within a month, I would have felt a bit better.
On thing I don't understand is why those in Tier 1 have to pay more than US. Another thing is the preferential treatment for the UK.

Something we may be overlooking. This change may have been implemented because of falling sales in countries in Tier 2&3, maybe due to the Euro prices and/or current economic situation. If this is the case then the policy of not buying games from Steam is working, and should be continued. I'm not asking those in Tier 3 to do it, since they get a good price, but we in Tier 1&2 could still go on. I am only talking about Valve games.

Supino
06-22-2009, 02:28 AM
This new Tier 1, 2 and 3 system is confusing..

What is Valve doing? this is crazy.

wolf5
06-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Any official words from Steam yet on pricing? This thread is rather long to be looking for official answers.

impar
06-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Greetings!

The new DLC for ETW has the revised prices.
2,49€ / £1.99 / US$3.49

fakiyo
06-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I think we should all start to surf over southafrican IPs just to get the real prices from Valve.
Valve, you're getting greedy... beware.

Roachz2
06-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Any official words from Steam yet on pricing? This thread is rather long to be looking for official answers.

Why do you think this tread is stil going on, cause we dont have ANY answers from ANYONE..

2g4u|Fear
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
By the way its this legal ?

Lance_Lake
06-22-2009, 01:13 PM
By the way its this legal ?

Oh dear lord.. Here we go again...

Yes, it's legal to price something however you want.

*waits for the UK people to start debating the point*

Stonos
06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Well, Valve should get their facts right, because IMO Greece should have been in the tier 3 group and not in tier 2 because our economics suck!

MemHT
06-22-2009, 03:25 PM
He can always go to the local shops or other online retailers.

Roachz2
06-22-2009, 10:00 PM
He can always go to the local shops or other online retailers.

thats
not
the
point
off
this
tread

klownkill
06-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I won't be buying games any more until 1$=$1 US = AU. If its fair for valve to charge at a 1:1 ratio with other regions other then USA they I think Australia should see 1:1 Dollar ratio.

klaymen_sk
06-23-2009, 01:09 AM
1$=1€=1AUD?

Nah. Hungarian forints have much better exchange rate. Imagine 1€=1HUF, now 1€=278,62HUF.

Buying games for 1/278 of their price. Now that would be a deal.

Call of Duty 5:
~50€=50HUF (50 HUF= 0,17€)

Valv€, gief HUF for the whole Europe now!!1!

Freemind
06-23-2009, 01:19 AM
1$=1€=1AUD?

Nah. Hungarian forints have much better exchange rate. Imagine 1€=1HUF, now 1€=278,62HUF.

Buying games for 1/278 of their price. Now that would be a deal.

Call of Duty 5:
~50€=50HUF (50 HUF= 0,17€)

Valv€, gief HUF for the whole Europe now!!1!
Let's all move to hungary!

mrWeed
06-23-2009, 02:56 AM
does it really matter?
i saw this comming from miles away.
i only buy weekend deals now, i dont care that Valve want to make money. before the big change trick i bought blind on steam, now i have to check if the price is good, if not im buying in the regular shop.
so by making 1$=1€ they lost a regular customer.
im no idiot who buys games for 50€ while they are in the shop at least 10€ cheaper.

Roachz2
06-23-2009, 03:40 AM
does it really matter?
i saw this comming from miles away.
i only buy weekend deals now, i dont care that Valve want to make money. before the big change trick i bought blind on steam, now i have to check if the price is good, if not im buying in the regular shop.
so by making 1$=1€ they lost a regular customer.
im no idiot who buys games for 50€ while they are in the shop at least 10€ cheaper.

even weekend deals arnt "deals" since you can get most games on weekend deals still cheapwer somewhere else.

mrWeed
06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
not here.
i bought the orangebox in the weekend deal voor 10€.
i checked around for someone without paypal/credit card and didnt find it under 34€ in the shops nearby.

briankearon666
06-23-2009, 07:34 AM
not here.
i bought the orangebox in the weekend deal voor 10€.
i checked around for someone without paypal/credit card and didnt find it under 34€ in the shops nearby.

Valve games seem to be the only ones that actually are priced correctly when on "special offer". Most of the other games are placed at the higher price point and only come close to retail prices when they are on special offer. e.g. Empire Total War. 25 euro on "special offer" half price. Can find it in most of my local retailer for 25 euro. sometimes cheaper, sometimes dearer (about 30 euro). No where have i seen it for sale for 50 euro. Except on Steam.

PC games are not priced over 40 euro in retail. Ever.

F3nya
06-23-2009, 10:25 AM
even weekend deals arnt "deals" since you can get most games on weekend deals still cheapwer somewhere else.

Actually most weekend deals are pretty good. Some of them, however, are not, like the last one with Empire Total War.

-ReuF-
06-23-2009, 10:47 AM
When you live in the Euro zone, you indeed have to be careful. The weekend deals for ETW and Civ4 in the past weren't good deals, actually. I don't know who is responsible for the price level at Steam, but the prices for most games are way too high...

Wulfklaue
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Actually most weekend deals are pretty good. Some of them, however, are not, like the last one with Empire Total War.

The correct term is more like:

You get weekend deal games with the same price as cheap shops there normal physical products price.

You get few weekend deal games that are cheaper then cheap shops there normal physical products price.

Empire Total War has been a weekend deal before. Must be me, but i notice to many weekend deals being the same thing over & over again. You notice that very much when you already have those games from the dollar area, so each time those games pop up again, you end up thinking: "And Valve does it again. Another deal they did before, instead off doing something new".

Especially with Valve products. Uch, i'm getting tired off seeing those CS, TF2, and other Valve deals popping up. Especially when Valve products do not make up the majority off Steams Catalogs.

But it seems they are now starting to move and more products into there deal section then before. And thats relative new. Then again, with there high prices, they can't keep justifying to spend half there weeks just on Valve Product deals or repeated deals.

Xenitis
06-23-2009, 05:53 PM
I think it's really a good thing to repeat the weekend deals from time to time, as most users are bound to miss out on some of them occasionally. New users should also get a chance to pick up some of the classics at a fair price.

However, I would prefer multiple deals every weekend. Something old and something new. Being European, I only buy games on special deals anyway...

wontolla
06-24-2009, 03:31 AM
It seems that now different UE users cannot access / buy in other shops in the UE, a real case for the Commission?

Sid Bowman
06-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Get over it, jeez. Just use an American Bank card or don't buy off of Steam, nobody is forcing you to use the Steam store. If it's a rip-off, then the obvious solution is just not to do it or put any money into it. Just go buy a retail Orange Box and activate it on Steam. Viola!

Sid Bowman
06-24-2009, 04:00 AM
I think it's really a good thing to repeat the weekend deals from time to time, as most users are bound to miss out on some of them occasionally. New users should also get a chance to pick up some of the classics at a fair price.

However, I would prefer multiple deals every weekend. Something old and something new. Being European, I only buy games on special deals anyway...

Well, that's why it's a special. I f they ran a special all the time, it wouldn't be so special then, huh?

briankearon666
06-24-2009, 04:37 AM
Well, that's why it's a special. I f they ran a special all the time, it wouldn't be so special then, huh?

It's not really a special if they lower the price to match the retail price then, is it?

MR.sugar
06-24-2009, 04:44 AM
Maybe it΄s old, but I just noticed that L4D costs 22.99€ right now. I think it was 29.99€ few days ago, Am I right? How much does it cost in $?

Roachz2
06-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Get over it, jeez. Just use an American Bank card or don't buy off of Steam, nobody is forcing you to use the Steam store. If it's a rip-off, then the obvious solution is just not to do it or put any money into it. Just go buy a retail Orange Box and activate it on Steam. Viola!

yes, cause with an American bank card you can magically change your ip and location.. THINK MAN THINK!

If you dont have anything constructive to say than dont.

Xenitis
06-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Maybe it΄s old, but I just noticed that L4D costs 22.99€ right now. I think it was 29.99€ few days ago, Am I right? How much does it cost in $?

I depends on where you're from. Check out Rhoninthewizard's post a couple of pages back. There are three different European prices for L4D; 29,99€, 22,99€ and 17,99€.

The US price is $39.99.

-ReuF-
06-24-2009, 07:25 AM

IMHO there's nothing special to decrease your price to the same level as the local retailers. In fact it IS special to call it a 'weekend DEAL' if you do so, but only a very special deal :D

Mnemonic
06-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Overlord II @ St€am: 49.99€ or DKK 372,-

Retail local is DKK 319,-

Guess where I'm gonna buy it.

rezman
06-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Overlord 2 for 49,99 € :o i can buy this game on amazon.de for 41,97 €... and on amazon.co.uk for 29,2453 €.

Steam is no more choice...

DJ_Professor_K
06-25-2009, 01:43 AM

Or you could jump off the window? No one is forcing you in this topic, just leave if you think that valve ripping off people is good.

A big number of people in here are upset becouse steam is still a decent way to "have" your games, no need for DVDs, worring about updates (well... kinda for some 3th party :P), and so on and so foward, and the OP games isn't helping at all.

If you don't have anything to contribute, stay away from this topic.

Mountainforest
06-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Or you could jump off the window? No one is forcing you in this topic, just leave if you think that valve ripping off people is good.

A big number of people in here are upset becouse steam is still a decent way to "have" your games, no need for DVDs, worring about updates (well... kinda for some 3th party :P), and so on and so foward, and the OP games isn't helping at all.

If you don't have anything to contribute, stay away from this topic.
People started contributing new stuff to this thread several hundred pages ago. Now, it's just become a place to come and complain when you find some game cheaper then on Steam.

I just bought Empire: Total War as a weekend deal, and I'm very happy with it.

rezman
06-25-2009, 08:37 AM
overlord 2 on gamesload.de for 39 € HURRAY I GOT IT ^^

K0NGEN
06-25-2009, 08:48 AM
People started contributing new stuff to this thread several hundred pages ago. Now, it's just become a place to come and complain when you find some game cheaper then on Steam.

Good for you.
However, it doesn't matter that the newer posts are mostly retail comparisons, what matters is that this thread is constantly on the first page on the most popular forum so every European customer who is not aware of Valve's scamming becomes so.

sappy
06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
You're wrong actually, it's more or less the only place i have seen the info about europe being split into 3 pricing zones, plus a lengthy description of games, countries and prices in those regions.

And now for something completely different:
Steam Unpowered
2009-06-25 21:03
Fatal error : SQL error : Table 'stranded_sedi.sed_parser' doesn't exist

Nightshade
06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Anno 1404 retail swedish WITH tax = 399 SEK
Anno 1404 steam WITH tax = 562 SEK (And it even has the insane 3 activations limit)

Overlord II retail swedish WITH tax = 399 SEK
Overlord II on steam WITH tax = 562 SEK (No physical media, no manual)

Downloading Anno at 366 KB/Sec currently on a 100 mbit line (did 8.21 MB/sec from the competition impulse when i tried a title) so it would have been almost as fast as to get to store, get home and install than use steams slow service! (Yes the client is properly configured, it's steams backend in northern europe that seems to be running on modems or the like)

I recall the old days when they wanted steam to be cheaper than retail since it didn't involve any physical media nor transports of it, clearly that visonary part blew out of valves office long time ago when profit started to become goal number one, heck they don't even offer any descent bandwidth anymore!

So clearly steam don't want european customers beside those foolish enough to pay their insane prices and who is willing to wait for the slow downloads...

EightySeven
06-25-2009, 12:48 PM

its actually hard to find a game where steam is cheaper then store nowadays :)

Nightshade
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
its actually hard to find a game where steam is cheaper then store nowadays :)

LOL lets turn it around, lets post when WE DO FIND a game that's cheaper on steam than retail in europe! But maby not, this thread would die and its good its around bugging valve :p

nautsch
06-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Yeah Overlord II on play.com 32.49 Euro with free shipping to ALL OF EUROPE. And this is not the cheapest offer around.

But I an glad for you (really!). 10 Euros saved there is maybe 20 Euros less for the steam shop and 20 Euros nearer to them realizing their mistake. .. Which, by the way, must be about 20000000 Euros away.

Wulfklaue
06-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Yeah Overlord II on play.com 32.49 Euro with free shipping to ALL OF EUROPE. And this is not the cheapest offer around.

I think anybody can do nothing but admit that its somewhat odd, that a shop ( that still needs to pass a distributor ) can ship a physical product ( including the shipping cost ), vs a online shop with a direct connection, and still ends up being 17€ more expensive. You expect to see the reverse like play.com @ 32.49, and maybe Steam @ 24.99€. Thats why you expect to see. Yet, we see play.com @ 32.49, and Steam @ 49.99...

Its rather clear again that Valve has some table:

A+ Title: 49.99€
A Title: 44.49€

They don't even bother looking at the competition for the EU market. Or is it because play.com is a UK firm, and they match there responds on the UK market only? With other words, they don't look past the UK border, and forget that anybody can order from the play.com shop ( unlike there own Steam shop ).

But its not just Overlord:

Some new "big" titles on Steam & Play.com:

Overlord II: Steam 49.99€ vs 32.49€ Play.com
Anno 1404: Steam 49.99€ vs 32.49€ Play.com
Prototype: Steam 49.99€ vs 38.99€ Play.com

Even the older "new" titles, are priced the same, or cheaper at Play.com for the physical product. *arf*

Simplex
06-26-2009, 12:11 AM
anybody can order from the play.com shop

Are you sure play.com ships to ALL OF EUROPE?

I don't know if that list includes all European countries they ship to, or european countries that they ship to for free:
http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Help.html?page=del#jump-ouk
As you can see, most of Central/East European countries is not on the list.

I know for a fact that www.game.co.uk ships to whole europe (but not for free). A least they have a clear list of countries they deliver to:
http://www.game.co.uk/Help/~h9846/Despatch/Countries/

Jack-o-Lantern
06-26-2009, 10:50 AM
LOL lets turn it around, lets post when WE DO FIND a game that's cheaper on steam than retail in europe! But maby not, this thread would die and its good its around bugging valve :p

I would be happy to see Steam with prices that are the same as with retail shops. All I see is prices that always higher.

Flankhard
06-26-2009, 01:15 PM
I just got Anno 1404 on Steam. Price 49,99€. I checked the store outlet earlyer today and local price was 399,- Nkr (43,65€).

So why did I not buy it in the store? - Because by now I hate all physical media. Both my current computer and the last have and had trouble validating the original cd/dvd's and denied me access to the game. This forced me to either take it back to store and try to get my money back (FAIL) or get an illegal gamefix that would dissable or work around the copy-protection (FAILS if you wanna go online).

So why not get it from another download service? -Beacause I don't want accounts all over the place. I want, as far as it is possible, one service to provide me with all. And Steam is very close to doing that.

The bottom line is, I'm very happy with Steams service and thats why I'm still loyal. I know some have had trouble with third party games, especially with regards to patches. Personally I have 17 third party games and have had only one hickup so far.

The "Golden Age" of paying in $ was bound to end. Sometimes it was so cheap that instead of using the "Try before I buy" rule, I used the "Buy and try" method. Obviously I can't do that anymore and restrict myself to only getting the games I really want. So allthough Steam haven't lost me as a customer, they are not making any more money on me either because I buy alot less. So the $=€ is not only unfair to me as a customer, but also unfair to other developers whos games I now can't afford to just "buy and try".

I still have my fingers crossed that they will find a middel ground on this...

nautsch
06-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Are you sure play.com ships to ALL OF EUROPE?

I don't know if that list includes all European countries they ship to, or european countries that they ship to for free:
http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Help.html?page=del#jump-ouk
As you can see, most of Central/East European countries is not on the list.

I know for a fact that www.game.co.uk ships to whole europe (but not for free). A least they have a clear list of countries they deliver to:
http://www.game.co.uk/Help/~h9846/Despatch/Countries/

Oh. I am sorry. I did not really check prior to posting. But as you said, juts pick game.co.uk and you're about 40 eurocents more expensive than play.com all shipping included.

The whole point is till valid.

Though today I walked into a store to check for the retail price on Overlord 2, and it actually was 49.99 (Gamestop in germany), though they were out of stock, but I was a little shocked.

Wulfklaue
06-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Though today I walked into a store to check for the retail price on Overlord 2, and it actually was 49.99 (Gamestop in germany), though they were out of stock, but I was a little shocked.

Did a quick lookup on a store where i used to buy dvd's from. Overlord II: 39.99€. Yet, looking at a other store, that i know is more expensive. Yep: 49.99€.

So, its clear that 49.99€ is not the normal sale price that Valve wants to make us think. Steam is just a store, that sell's at the most expensive possible launch price. And stays more expensive as time passes by...

And that weekend deal **** these days is hardly what you can call a deal. To be honest, i have only seen 4 worthwhile deals in these 6 months this year. But that might just be me...

Flankhard:

To be honest, i think if you want to buy on Steam? Wait until the end off the year, when they do there mass price drops.

* You have the advantage that the titles are not as new anymore. So for the EU market, thats maybe one price drop. US market thats 3 or so. ;)
* And the discounts are on a wider range off products, in other words, there is something for everybody.

Trust me on this. That 49.99€ game is the exact same game if you buy it now, or 6 months from now for maybe 19.99€. All that matters is resisting the urge for impulse buying ( what can be great. Thats why Steam these days is more focused on the "deals" ). In the end, you will save a lot off money, and still get the same joy. And you use the 6 months old games to tie you over. ;)

But then again, most people have a low resistance to impulse buying, and in the end, will try to justify there purchase to themselves, and those around themselves.

supernaut
06-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Ok guys, I need some help with an email. There's a podcast on GameTrailers.com and it's pretty popular (usually gets about 60 000 hits). They have a segment called On The Hook, where they answer questions that people send in. Next week they are answering questions the entire show, because there's not much to talk about in July (no big games or games conventions).

I basically want to send a relatively short question concerning this issue with Steam, simply to get the word out. I don't expect any educated replies from them, since they don't know about this issue (I know, I've listened to all of their episodes), but creating awareness is certainly a good thing.

So, how would I word this question exactly ? Should it be something like this...

"Why does Steam charge Europeans 20-200% more for games, compared to the rest of the world ?"

and/or

"Why does Valve keep ignoring a thread with almost 6000 replies and 600 000 views on their own forums, a Steam group with 20 000 members and an entire website dedicated to the 1€ ≠ 1$ issue ?"

In the recent podcast they talked a lot about Valve, the L4D2 boycott and why doesn't Valve develop games for the PS3. The show's host also said that he's never heard Gabe Newell lie. And that last sentence basically made me want to do this, because there's a contradiction of facts between Gabe's GDC keynote and the reality of our situation.

Have I got the percentages right ? Would you guys like to add something ?

I remember Wulf had a nice list of questions for Valve, although I don't know what page that is on. :)

Wulfklaue
06-26-2009, 10:22 PM
I remember Wulf had a nice list of questions for Valve, although I don't know what page that is on. :)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10022617#post10022617

If you need to find a message from somebody, you can always do look at that persons profile, and click on "Find all posts by xxx".

I hope this helps, and now back to bed *lol*.

impar
06-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Greetings!
Would you guys like to add something ?
The only question I want answered:
Why did Steam failed?

The current steam prices are not what was promised when this digital distribution service began. Prices were supposed to be cheaper than retail, not more expensive.
Games on Steam: 49,99€
Local retailer: 42-45€
Online shop: 35-40€

Amra
06-27-2009, 09:37 AM
I was going to buy the Heroes V complete pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1036/), but using the same number for the price in € and $ has made me back off. Pity. :p

El Pollo Diablo
06-27-2009, 04:10 PM
so i found this in the pcgamer forum (german gamer magazine). i'll translate it: (i cut out the unimportant stuff)

forum question:
Was die Steam-Reportage betrifft, frage ich mich, wieso eigentlich all diese absolut uninteressanten und irrelevanten Themen aufgegriffen wurden, aber KEIN WORT όber die neue Preisstrategie fόr Europa erwδhnt wurde.

Will sich PC Games Liebkind machen bei Steam um weiterhin eingeladen zu werden, anstatt die richtigen Fragen zu stellen? Diese Umfrage war ein Witz, sorry.

concerning the steam poll, i'm wondering why only unimportant/unnecessary facts have been covered, but no word about the new pricing strategy for europe.

does pc games wanna stay "good pals" with steam to keep being invited for testing, instead of asking the right questions? this poll was a joke, sorry.

and that was the answer:
Das ist doch mehr als logisch, jedenfalls seitens des Anbieters. In Zeiten, wo die eigene Wδhrung im Vergleich zur anderen 'schwach' ist, muss man einfach reagieren. Es mag dich erschόttern, und ich bin weder HLP-Andy noch nen VALVe Fan, aber Valve ist ein Unternehmen was auch Geld verdienen muss und will. Wenn man z.B. Europa mit dem 'starken' Euro weiterhin die Mφglichkeit bietet die Spiele in Dollar zu erwerben, macht man faktisch Verlust ... und sowas ist nicht hinnehmbar.

Das du dich als Verbraucher darόber aufregst ist verstδndlich, ja sogar nachvollziehbar.

that's nothing but logic, at least from the provider's view. in times when your own currency is "weak" compared to others, they just have to react. this may shock you, but i'm neither hlp-andy (*whatever that is*), nor a vlave fan, but valve is a company that HAS and WANTS to earn money, too. if, e.g., they let europeans buy games in us $ in the future, they'll in fact sustain a loss.... and that's unacceptable.

that you complain as a consumer is understandable, even comprehensible.

----------------------------------------------------------

so... we were right all along! the us $ dollar is going down the drain, so milk the €uropeans! and the game magazines even agree, because they want to be invited for testing "specials" (like hl2 when it came out) again in the future.

retroactively "patching" that whole thing (tier1 - 3) is a fail like the whole local prizing was in the beginning.

and the logic in the answer of pcgames fails as well (read the 5000 posts).

cheers!

brotrrwinner
06-27-2009, 06:25 PM
You know what, at this point I don't care anymore. I just stopped buying from Steam AT ALL. They can price the games 500€ for all I care, they won't see another dime from me

supernaut
06-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I didn't know how to ask it, but this is the email I sent to Invisible Walls (GameTrailers.com podcast):

Hi,

I was wondering why game journalists (in general) aren't doing their job by reporting on price discrimination on Steam towards Europeans ? A Left 4 Dead 2 boycott is a more interesting headline, for sure, but the fact of the matter is that Europeans who are paying in Euros on Steam, are getting severely ripped off compared to the rest of the world. Valve keeps ignoring a thread on their own forums with nearly 6000 replies and 600 000 views. This issue also has a Steam group with over 20 000 members and an entire website dedicated to it. Valve hasn't responded to the community for over 6 months now, after saying that they are working on the issue. Mike D (from Valve): "Yes, we agree that some of the prices for third party products are higher then what you can find locally but we are working to fix that." (from http://www.steamfriends.com/news/3635/prices-steam-euros)

Keep up the good work, I love the show.
supernaut (from GT)

We'll see if they reply to it on the show, I'll report back here either way. I really hope they include it, we could use all the publicity we can get.

Roachz2
06-28-2009, 12:36 AM
You know what, at this point I don't care anymore. I just stopped buying from Steam AT ALL. They can price the games 500€ for all I care, they won't see another dime from me

ive been doing that since this ♥♥♥♥ started, i dont like beeing ignored.. weekend deals whatever IM NOT BUYING!

um0123
06-28-2009, 12:43 AM
[obligatory post in steam forums largest thread]

Simplex
06-28-2009, 02:19 AM
I didn't know how to ask it, but this is the email I sent to Invisible Walls (GameTrailers.com podcast):
We'll see if they reply to it on the show, I'll report back here either way. I really hope they include it, we could use all the publicity we can get.

Good job the question. Let's hope they do not ignore it.

TF2-Fan01
06-28-2009, 02:42 AM
I didn't know how to ask it, but this is the email I sent to Invisible Walls (GameTrailers.com podcast)

I don't think writing to ConsoleTrailers helps much.

Wulfklaue
06-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Good job the question. Let's hope they do not ignore it.

How much do you want to bet that it will be ignored.

It really is incredible to see how this keeps getting ignored.

Even worse when some think Valve is justified to ask high prices for the EU customer, because the dollar is weak?

No offense to people that claim that, but the EU customer have almost ( when paying in Euro's or there old currency's ) always payed a higher price, even when the dollar was strong!

And no, Valve does not lose money with a weak dollar. If 10 people buy a game in dollars @ 30$, Valve makes 300$.

It does not matter if those 10 people, have 7 from the EU, and 3 from the US. Valve makes the exact same money.

But, if you start charging those EU customer 30€, that makes 7 * 30€ ( 42$ ) = 294$ + 90$ ... The math is clear. Just on those EU customers alone, they make the same amount off money. The US customers are just a 'extra', with the calculation above. Maybe thats why the US customer can get those nice 1/2, or 1/3 price's that we don't get.

And then we don't take in consideration those US games that have that 1/2 or 1/3 price difference vs the EU games.

In the end, you can say that the EU customers are paying for the US & UK customers there "discounted" prices.

Sure, but if Valve sticks to the dollar prices, it makes a lot less profit. So what! Why is it able to deliver cheap prices in a other non dollar country, the UK?

Why are other services capable off having no problem selling to EU buyers in dollars ( and even with no tax! ).

It all comes down to one word: Greed.

And yes, you can argue that it's a company's job to milk its customer as much as possible, for those nice big bonus that the management need ( those Ferrari's don't buy themselves! ;) ).

What people forget, is that company's that milk there customers, lose in the end, because off a bad reputation ( and a reputation is something that you can not just "fix" ). People can have the mind off mice, but also that of elephants. Look at EA ...

So yea, after all these years, the EU is still looked upon as a way for US company's to make a quick buck on our backs. The fact that the EU becomes the biggest gaming market, and that the other ( read competitive ) services see the potential, yet again, a company that has the biggest market share, shows its own ignorants, and thinks that the EU customers are below them. Something the milk.

And its even worse when most gaming magazines, and news outlets even refuse to report on it, out of fear for not getting a preview or demo, or whatever. Do you still dare to call it objective news or reviews, if they can be bribed that easily?

Strange Days
06-28-2009, 09:38 AM
For being a digital distribution service you'd like to think games were less expensive on such a platform like Steam, but the prices are defeating the purpose of the service. For example: Overlord 2 £29.99 on Steam/£17.96 on Amazon. It's a no brainer which version you're going to buy.

I'd hate to see the games industry go digital only in terms of buying games because publishers would just be ripping consumers off, plus there would be no or little price cuts on titles.

Games are already too expensive! Period.

I don't pay more than £20 for my games, no matter the title. And if that means buying second hand...then so be it.

Roachz2
06-28-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't think writing to ConsoleTrailers helps much.

its still better than doing nothing hu.

Bloodzone
06-28-2009, 10:11 AM
I understand the position of gamemagazines actually. They have a magazine to make and need people too buy this, so they can show the advertisers that they have a large viewbase.
If they cant deliver new scoops about games, they wont be able to advertise as much to make up for costs.
And if they publish something about STEAM pricesystem they propably wont even be boycotted by VALVE but also by other compagnies. You thought they didnt consult with other compagnies ? pls...

I hate too see this, but its actually the game busseniss that blocks all this too read in a magazine.

Here in the Netherlands there was this magazine, around 1999, that didnt only talk about games but also about clans, mods,casemods,lans and more of that stuff.
But they had too shut down cause advertisers didnt think the market was ready for that.

Just to show that advertising is important for magazines.

* I know my logic has some holes, but its difficult to express myself in english.

epicwilzon
06-28-2009, 02:27 PM

You can buy Overlord 2 from direct2drive for only £24.95. Available for purchase worldwide as well

rocketdude
06-28-2009, 03:53 PM
You can buy Overlord 2 from direct2drive for only £24.95. Available for purchase worldwide as well

I bought it there, 40$, instead of Steam's standard 50€. Most stuff is way cheaper at D2D. People should stop complaining and buy their games somewhere else, like D2D.

40$ VS 50€. Hmmmmm...hard one.

Wulfklaue
06-28-2009, 04:29 PM
People should stop complaining and buy their games somewhere else, like D2D.

People are buying at other places. But, that does not mean we need to stop complaining. It helps to inform the other EU customer that do not know about this price discrimination.

-ReuF-
06-29-2009, 12:16 AM
People should stop complaining and buy their games somewhere else, like D2D.

You're right. I'm buyingmy games somewhere else, or I wait for a good weekend deal @ Steam. Their price discrimination is ridiculous! :mad:

TF2-Fan01
06-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Tier1 in a country that doesn't even use the damn euro. Thank GOD online stores are way cheaper than this obvious scam run by Valve. Shame on you. Wish I could sue your asses off.

Field-Mouse
06-29-2009, 03:28 AM
I have a question: I didnt want to read through entire thread, so: Have we ever gotten any reason to why the pricing is the unfair way it is?:confused:
Im still boycotting Steam online store because of the pricing:(. Havent bought a single Steam game since Left 4 Dead was released. And things are just getting worse! now the pricing is even more divided! Im sticking with the fact that "1€ is not 1$" even though steam is trying to change fact.
Hope this will change so that Steam can go back to its previous glory :).

Roachz2
06-29-2009, 03:42 AM
I have a question: I didnt want to read through entire thread, so: Have we ever gotten any reason to why the pricing is the unfair way it is?:confused:
Im still boycotting Steam online store because of the pricing:(. Havent bought a single Steam game since Left 4 Dead was released. And things are just getting worse! now the pricing is even more divided! Im sticking with the fact that "1€ is not 1$" even though steam is trying to change fact.

No reaction whatsoever.

DJ_Professor_K
06-29-2009, 03:47 AM

No reasons were given.

Also, the pricing wasn't divided now, it has been like this since the € was introduced, some people only noticed now.

napalmdest54
06-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Guys Valve is a US based country. Often the country that is the home of a company often get the long stick of the draw. This is true for Microsoft, Sony, LG, Samsung, Capcom, etc.

If you don't like the pricing buy somewhere else, no big deal. The US market is the largest market in the world, so who cares if we technically pay less.

supernaut
06-29-2009, 05:25 AM
If you don't like the pricing buy somewhere else, no big deal.

The majority of Europeans who have posted in this thread, are not buying any games through Steam. So obviously they are buying their games elsewhere.

Wulfklaue
06-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Guys Valve is a US based country. Often the country that is the home of a company often get the long stick of the draw. This is true for Microsoft, Sony, LG, Samsung, Capcom, etc.

For those company's like MS, Sony, etc, the EU is the second largest offset market, or there primary markt ( do not underestimate the EU these day. ).

If you don't like the pricing buy somewhere else, no big deal.

Most off us that post in this thread do that already. But like it was stated not even a page ago, there are still a lot off uninformed people out there.

And you may think "i'm a US buyer, so screw the rest off the world" attitude that we have seen plenty off time.

We show our solidarity with our EU brothers & sisters ( and AU, etc ), so that they do not buy from Valve, as the prices are ripoff prices.

Seeing as the Media does not dare to touch this subject with a stick ( out off fear losing access to demo's, advertisement etc ), we have little choice.

The US market is the largest market in the world, so who cares if we technically pay less.

The EU these days is the largest gaming market these days. So by your definition, we need to get Mass Effect @ 18€, and you need to get it at 62$ ( 44.49€ ). Tell me, still think your argument holds water? ;)

Its always interesting to see how people react when you turn around the situation. :D

impar
06-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Greetings!
The US market is the largest market in the world, ...
That has been false for some time now.

F3nya
06-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Arma 2 hot discounted by 2euros, hilarious!
Now it's 47,99eur, and still a lot more expensive than If I'd had to buy it for 49,99$+my country's 18% tax.

EightySeven
06-29-2009, 01:46 PM
it was that price all the time afaik

_Pyke_
06-30-2009, 07:53 AM

If you don't like the pricing buy somewhere else, no big deal. The US market is the largest market in the world, so who cares if we technically pay less.

I understand what you mean. But America is not the largest gaming market, Europe is. The problem with bringing games to Europe is the localization that is needed for the different countries and the different tax models per country. That is why foreign (in the eyes of Europeans) companies charge more in Europe.

But I don't want localization, I just want to play the same game Americans get to play and I want it for the same price. If steam doesn't offer me this: I'll just go to another (online) game-retailer.

erpego
06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
now on steam i have all the prices in dollars...

is it just me or something has changed?
i live in italy

gopo2004
06-30-2009, 09:57 AM

i live in italy

OMG y wanna be in italy now:(

Mila Superstar
06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Do you guys know a good alternative to steam ... Where i can pay in $ ? ^^

I like steam, but some games sooo expensive, see Mirrors Edge.

erpego
06-30-2009, 11:34 AM
OMG y wanna be in italy now:(

nevermind, prices are in dollar now
what a shame:o

epsylon_Z1
06-30-2009, 11:45 AM

i live in italy
clear your browser cache

-ReuF-
06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately still in Euro's here. So still 25% too expensive :mad:

Still buying games somewhere else... :p

EightySeven
06-30-2009, 01:52 PM
25%?

€1= $1,4

Wulfklaue
06-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Interesting detail popped up today...

A few people talked about one off those cd key sites. So i did a comparison:

Saints Row 2
Steam: 49.99€
Play.com: 32.49€
Cd Key Site: $21.99 ( 16.60€ )

Speedball II
Steam: 19.99€
Cd Key Site: $12.99 ( 9.81€ )
Play.com: 6.00€

Left for Dead
Play.com: 35.49€
Steam: 29.99€
Cd Key Site: $18.99 ( 14.34€ )

Warhammer II
Steam: 49.99€
Play.com: 27.42€
Cd Key Site: $25.99( 19.62€ )

Thats a small list off keys that can be used to register on Steam. A nice price difference don't you say ...

In effect, one can buy 4 (keys) games, for the price off one on Steam, and still register/download them with Steam *lol*

I'm of course not naming names to get the mod's no excuse for a delete button press ;) But it showed how much Valve is missing the ball on this one. The only game that Valve was better then even Play.com was Left For Death. But still got its Steam price beaten by 50% using the key buying...

Simplex
07-01-2009, 01:15 AM
I have a quote from developer of Trine game (it's European company, mind you) when asked why the game costs 30$ in US and 30€ in Europe.

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1662&start=50
But I also see why it is that way, the euro price is the "correct" price (we pay to our employees in euros) and the dollar price is a discount for US people so they could survive the economical crisis and maybe get usd:eur to 1:1 some very sunny day

I am amazed at hearing this from a European.
If even european games are starting to be priced higher in europe thatn US, then the world has gone crazy.

impar
07-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Greetings!
But I also see why it is that way, the euro price is the "correct" price (we pay to our employees in euros) and the dollar price is a discount for US people so they could survive the economical crisis and maybe get usd:eur to 1:1 some very sunny day
So, there is no economical crisis in Europe?

Simplex
07-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Apparently not, at least not according to one of Trine developers.

I got another great thought of the same person:

Euro zone people pay in euros, ie. they have to pay 30 euros, not 42 dollars. I would understand this if you would get your salary/pension/allowance paid in USD and then you had to spend Euros for the game, but I'm sure that's not the case.
What people in US needs to pay is our loss, not any European's loss. But we really hope the currency rates would go better.

EightySeven
07-01-2009, 03:22 AM
both are bull♥♥♥♥ there is economic crysis everywhere and 30 euroes is 42 dollars

Simplex
07-01-2009, 06:52 AM
I tried reasoning with the developers of trine on their forum, but the only thing I was able to accomplish is that they added new rule to forum rules "discussing price is not allowed" and locked the threads. Classy!

In other news - game by Polish developers (published by UBI) Call of Juarez 2: Digital version on steam for only €49,99!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/21980/

Polish boxed version without DRM (AFAIK): €20
https://www.wirtualnypunkt.pl/call_of_juarez_wiezy_krwi_%5Bpc%5D_-_preorder,0,2714.html

mchufnagel
07-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I tried reasoning with the developers of trine on their forum, but the only thing I was able to accomplish is that they added new rule to forum rules "discussing price is not allowed" and locked the threads. Classy!

Oh well, another developer to avoid. I hope they don't whine when they notice that their sales suck.

Wulfklaue
07-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Oh well, another developer to avoid. I hope they don't whine when they notice that their sales suck.

Don't worry. In that case it will be all the fault from pirates stealing there game. *lol*. But it will never be there own fault.

dot123
07-01-2009, 10:55 AM
I know this topic has been discussed many times, but heres my share:

I CANT ♥♥♥♥ING BELIEVE IT!

Ill give just one example, but a "real-life" one: Dead Space. Now, i used Steam since HL2 and i got bout 30 games in my Steam account. Since i played Dead Space witha friend i wanted to buy it, so i said to myself: lets check if they got it on Steam. And you know what? Yeah, they got it here. I was about to buy it, when i thought: wait! They still want a lot of € for this game? I mean its not that new. Maybe i just check Amazon, since this is a well known and respected place, just like Steam (isnt it?!).

And when i looked up the price on Amazon (i use the english .co.uk site), i freaked out.

Thats what they want on Steam. Ill get the game but only in a non-physical form. Thats OK since i dont have to go to shop.
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/tl2eti2/Capture.PNG

And thats what i have to pay if i order the new, physical game from Amazon.co.uk. Of cause including shipping and its brought to my house, so no need to go to a shop too.
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/8r9fb9k3/IMG_3031.JPG

Now, do u notice the difference? Yes, even when shipping is included, the amazon.co.uk order is more than 4x cheaper that the Steam offer! Thats how u will make a company fail, just price a item with less value 4x higher than your oponent...

BTW: It sucks that i can implemet any pic here!

relaxeder
07-01-2009, 10:58 AM
economic crysis
lol .

eetcheez
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Man, forget Crysis 2, I wanna play that game! :D

Wulfklaue
07-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Now, do u notice the difference? Yes, even when shipping is included, the amazon.co.uk order is more than 4x cheaper that the Steam offer! Thats how u will make a company fail, just price a item with less value 4x higher than your oponent...

Yea, its amazing to see...

Steam: 44.49€
Amazone.co.uk: 10.2999 € ( 8.84 GBP ) inc shipping cost.
Play.com: EUR 12.99 ( x360/ps3: 19.49€ )

I think we can now say officially, that Steam is up to 400 a 450% more expensive then the physical product ( on some games ).

Its even more then twice as expensive then the x360 / ps3 console versions. *lol*. Talk about crazy...

Whats next? New prices also more expensive then new console titles. Maybe 80€ for a game? Nuts, just plain nuts ...

Man, forget Crysis 2, I wanna play that game! :D

Its a fun game, just stick all your money in stocks that are nicely hyped by shorters. Sell when stocks fall, and buy when they go up. Excellent way to play the game *lol* ;)

In case your wondering, its the exact opposite what you need to do.

Nightshade
07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Michael Jackson said it right

All I want to say is that "THEY DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT US"

All they care about is our money PERIOD!

Simplex
07-02-2009, 12:46 AM
I just looked on amazon.co.uk - Dead space is 7.70 GPB with free shipping.
It's 30 bucks on US steam, unavailable in UK and 45€ in Europe.
Just when you think steam and valve cannot fail in a more epic way, they deliver.

klownkill
07-02-2009, 01:02 AM
I just looked on amazon.co.uk - Dead space is 7.70 GPB with free shipping.
It's 30 bucks on US steam, unavailable in UK and 45€ in Europe.
Just when you think steam and valve cannot fail in a more epic way, they deliver.$50USD here on steam in Australia

Sirkonrads
07-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Yea, its amazing to see...

Steam: 44.49€
Amazone.co.uk: 10.2999 € ( 8.84 GBP ) inc shipping cost.
Play.com: EUR 12.99 ( x360/ps3: 19.49€ )

I think we can now say officially, that Steam is up to 400 a 450% more expensive then the physical product ( on some games ).

Its even more then twice as expensive then the x360 / ps3 console versions. *lol*. Talk about crazy...

Whats next? New prices also more expensive then new console titles. Maybe 80€ for a game? Nuts, just plain nuts ...

Its a fun game, just stick all your money in stocks that are nicely hyped by shorters. Sell when stocks fall, and buy when they go up. Excellent way to play the game *lol* ;)

In case your wondering, its the exact opposite what you need to do.

Hmm maybe u are right and i can just say all steam i got until now i just go any store and buy them,good thing is the pricing of steam games are now cheaper in any store,i can buy games less then 30 €uros today.

Example:

COUNTER STRIKE-ANTHOLOGY DVD game

It cost me just 14.95 €uros last year

TF2-Fan01
07-02-2009, 02:26 AM
Glad I don't consider Steam as a valid place to purchase games anymore, I'd be ruined already if I did.

KNIFEWHIP
07-02-2009, 03:30 AM
I know this topic has been discussed many times, but heres my share:

I CANT ♥♥♥♥ING BELIEVE IT!

Ill give just one example, but a "real-life" one: Dead Space. Now, i used Steam since HL2 and i got bout 30 games in my Steam account. Since i played Dead Space witha friend i wanted to buy it, so i said to myself: lets check if they got it on Steam. And you know what? Yeah, they got it here. I was about to buy it, when i thought: wait! They still want a lot of € for this game? I mean its not that new. Maybe i just check Amazon, since this is a well known and respected place, just like Steam (isnt it?!).

And when i looked up the price on Amazon (i use the english .co.uk site), i freaked out.

Thats what they want on Steam. Ill get the game but only in a non-physical form. Thats OK since i dont have to go to shop.
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/tl2eti2/Capture.PNG

And thats what i have to pay if i order the new, physical game from Amazon.co.uk. Of cause including shipping and its brought to my house, so no need to go to a shop too.
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/8r9fb9k3/IMG_3031.JPG

BTW: It sucks that i can implemet any pic here!

Err guys your not valves terget audience anymore, tf2 is bent and shaped to conform with noob frustrations (just look how they ♥♥♥♥ed the crouch height) to get more sales.

They target stupid people who will continue to give them a great cash flow, hence making games like left 4 dead, no thought and just like 1000s of mods out there already, they just decided to capitalize on it, no one else had.

personally youd do better writing to your government on the issue or seeking legal advice, because these forums where you make your rant with a "somebody else will fix it attidude" do sweet ♥♥♥♥ all and if thats the most that happens then meh :P

janze_94
07-02-2009, 05:53 AM
$50 = 340,54kr
50€ = 479,38kr

479,38kr = $70,38

Norway :mad:

just go to sweden or danmark if your in norway and buy it in reatial much sheaper

briankearon666
07-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Valve/steam does it again with the weekend deal!

They lower thier prices to match the retail prices temporarily and claim that it is a special offer. I got Fallout 3 at retail 2 months ago for 25 euro (not a special offer). Yet steam sold it for 50 euro for a long while now. Do they not look at thier prices?

I see that Street Fighter has got the same great low price on both Steam and Impulse. Capcom have gone and done the right thing and priced it fairly across the board. Impulse is actually cheaper if you add back on the "10% off" which steam is giving you off for preordering.

Cirap
07-02-2009, 09:30 AM
SFIV seem to be properly priced at launch, nice to see. too bad I'm not interested in that game.

Fallout 3 is mildly interesting for me, but even with 50% off it's just the same price as retail

Wulfklaue
07-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Fallout 3 is mildly interesting for me, but even with 50% off it's just the same price as retail

On the contrary, its still more expansive.

Steam ( so called weekend deal?! ): 22,49€
Play.com: 19.49€
Amazone.uk: £17.99 ( 21.05€ )
Amazone.com ( Fallout 1,2,3 in one ): $19.49

But boy o boy, does that 50% not look good... They will get a lot of "customers" who fall for it. Yet, there are still selling it more expensive then retail.

"Fallout 3 is 50% off, this weekend only."

And mind you, its called a weekend deal. Must be me, but it's still Thursday here ( and so is it in the US. ). Look like they can not only count, but they are also unable to tell apart the days off the week. ;)

Must be hard working for Valve's sales department, when you can't do math, or even read a calender. *lol* I know, i know, that might be over the top. ;)

The funny part is, i'm actually having more fun these days watching one after the other horrid mistake that Valve makes on the EU market, then actually playing games. There is a strange sensation seeing a company act like a ......... ( fill in the blanks with what you think is accurate :) Be positive *lol* ).

epsylon_Z1
07-02-2009, 11:59 AM
link please

mchufnagel
07-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Wulfklaue/epsylon_Z1,
That Fallout disc actually contains Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics (3rd Fallout game, but not Fallout 3).

Nightshade
07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Glad I don't consider Steam as a valid place to purchase games anymore, I'd be ruined already if I did.

Ruined and screwed, last download barely scratched 4 percent of my bandwidth and that for a overpriced game without dvd nor manual (yes the client is properly configured and so is the network. Steam simply put is only cold water in northern Europe - EXPENSIVE cold water might be more proper!)

Nightshade
07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Just when you think steam and valve cannot fail in a more epic way, they deliver.

Glad they do manage to deliver in some way... look above :D

epsylon_Z1
07-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Wulfklaue/epsylon_Z1,
That Fallout disc actually contains Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics (3rd Fallout game, but not Fallout 3).Just as i suspected .

EightySeven
07-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Ruined and screwed, last download barely scratched 4 percent of my bandwidth and that for a overpriced game without dvd nor manual (yes the client is properly configured and so is the network. Steam simply put is only cold water in northern Europe - EXPENSIVE cold water might be more proper!)

changing country tends to help though

mocas
07-02-2009, 02:01 PM
On the contrary, its still more expansive.

Steam ( so called weekend deal?! ): 22,49€
Play.com: 19.49€
Amazone.uk: £17.99 ( 21.05€ )

But boy o boy, does that 50% not look good... They will get a lot of "customers" who fall for it. Yet, there are still selling it more expensive then retail.

"Fallout 3 is 50% off, this weekend only."

And mind you, its called a weekend deal. Must be me, but it's still Thursday here ( and so is it in the US. ). Look like they can not only count, but they are also unable to tell apart the days off the week. ;)

Must be hard working for Valve's sales department, when you can't do math, or even read a calender. *lol* I know, i know, that might be over the top. ;)

The funny part is, i'm actually having more fun these days watching one after the other horrid mistake that Valve makes on the EU market, then actually playing games. There is a strange sensation seeing a company act like a ......... ( fill in the blanks with what you think is accurate :) Be positive *lol* ).

You are wrong.

I paid 24€ for Fallout 3 on amazon.co.uk. You need to add shipping and VAT costs to the final price ;)

And what's wrong with making the weekend deal longer?! Isn't that a good thing? :confused:

Mudkipz
07-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I paid 24€ for Fallout 3 on amazon.co.uk

Do you want to know the Fallout3 price in the UK on this weekend deal? £13.49...Yes, that is just under 16euros... Great pricing, I am starting to lose faith in Steam:(

boglito
07-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Good to see that this thread is still going.

Not good to see that Valve still don't care.

-ReuF-
07-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Fallout 3 at local retailer: €24.
Fallout 3 on a weekend deal @ Steam: €22.49

So, that's a discount of €1.51 (6.3%). BIG DEAL! (NOT!) :mad:

-ReuF-
07-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Good to see that this thread is still going.
Not good to see that Valve still don't care.

They most likely don't give a sh., 'cause they're making enough money in the States.

DJ_Professor_K
07-03-2009, 01:02 AM
F3 at local retail stores: 15€
Steam 22€

I wub steam, going to buy it asap.

Also, don't forget STEAM = NO FOSE

Pissant
07-03-2009, 06:34 AM
http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/5483399/Fallout-3/Product.html

play.com, €19.49. Free worldwide shipping.

Gahahahahaha.

Rhoninthewizard
07-03-2009, 07:07 AM
http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/5483399/Fallout-3/Product.html

play.com, €19.49. Free worldwide shipping.
play.com only has free delivery to these countries:
Andorra
Austria
Belgium
Cyprus
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Greece(does not deliver items over £30)
Greenland
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Vatican

MagrothJ
07-03-2009, 07:43 AM
I must say that Impulse is very fast becoming a very good alternative to Steam.

hvkasteren
07-03-2009, 10:17 AM
And another interesting price: virtua tennis 2k9:

NL: €44.99 (€40.49 with discount)
US: $29.99 (would be €25.50 including tax) ($26.99 with discount (€22.95))

nearly 100% markup.

klownkill
07-03-2009, 10:50 AM
And another interesting price: virtua tennis 2k9:

NL: €44.99 (€40.49 with discount)
US: $29.99 (would be €25.50 including tax) ($26.99 with discount (€22.95))

nearly 100% markup.and Australia price is $53.99 US.

Nightshade
07-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Get used to the prices as long as people buy enough quantities from $team only proving their pricing scheme is indeed working...

They have lost quite abit of sales from me lately due to overpricing alone (the bandwidth is poor in northern Europe but its not the reason why the stores got my cash instead). If now only more people would follow the example rather than crybaby here and still purchase the games on steam...

hvkasteren
07-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Nightshade, we aren't being crybabies, we're trying to inform people, and this seems to be the only way we have, seeing how the "professional" reporting industries have been stonewalling us. I haven't bought a single game on Steam since the currency change, and I'm not sure if a reverting of the change would make me a customer again.

marekfreak1
07-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Get used to the prices as long as people buy enough quantities from $team only proving their pricing scheme is indeed working...

They have lost quite abit of sales from me lately due to overpricing alone (the bandwidth is poor in northern Europe but its not the reason why the stores got my cash instead). If now only more people would follow the example rather than crybaby here and still purchase the games on steam...

I am most definitely voicing my opinion with my wallet (except when I bought UT03, but the price was on par with retail and in the US during the sale, although I do regret going back on my promise. I havent made that mistake since). I really hope others are following suite and continue encourage their friends to either abandon or at least refrain from buying games on "Steal" ummm...Steam! Its working for me so far.

napalmdest54
07-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I understand what you mean. But America is not the largest gaming market, Europe is. The problem with bringing games to Europe is the localization that is needed for the different countries and the different tax models per country. That is why foreign (in the eyes of Europeans) companies charge more in Europe.

But I don't want localization, I just want to play the same game Americans get to play and I want it for the same price. If steam doesn't offer me this: I'll just go to another (online) game-retailer.

Thats nice, compare all of Europe to the USA. Your countries' laws prevent the same game we play in America to be released in yours. Germany for instance has STRICT game laws that prevent games being the same as released in other countries, thus game developers then have to go in an use development time to change the game to fit into the game laws in each country in Europe. Japan also has strict game laws (hence why Gears of War got a Z rating).

I agree with you, it really does suck that Valve can't release the same game in all countries (except changing the spoken language of course) because of all of the laws that each country has in place. But this is not Valve's fault, it is each individual country and then the laws that the EU place.

Back to the topic of games being over priced for Europeans, well some of the games are over priced for Americans too. But there is no long thread complaining about it, we just find an alternative source for the game in question.

As an American, I wish that this is somehow mediated, as I do wish Valve to succeed, they are an amazing game developer.

briankearon666
07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I must say that Impulse is very fast becoming a very good alternative to Steam.

I agree with you whole heartedly about the viability of Impulse as a platform when compared against steam. The problem, i would imagine, is that people aren't using impulse (yet) and are probably just not buying games on steam. I haven't made the jump to impulse or D2D yet. I'm just not buying games online. It does take a fair amount of commitment to jump to another platform for downloading, and can be a hassle with multiple clients. I KNOW i will be making the jump to Impulse if this farce continues though.

At the moment, i'm genarally not supporting digital downloads as a means of getting my games, and i see that what steam is doing right now is only hurting the implimentation/acceptance of this method of delivering games on a whole.

Wulfklaue
07-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Thats nice, compare all of Europe to the USA. Your countries' laws prevent the same game we play in America to be released in yours. Germany for instance has STRICT game laws that prevent games being the same as released in other countries, thus game developers then have to go in an use development time to change the game to fit into the game laws in each country in Europe. Japan also has strict game laws (hence why Gears of War got a Z rating).

Time to set a few something strait. I see you using the plural for "countries". There is one country in the EU that has strict laws regarding censuring games. And that Germany.

Non off the other country's have that limitation. So please, drop the "countries", and the insinuation that there is a difference in each country.

The age rating can differ from country to country, but in practice, it means zip. As the age ratings are not enforced. I have yet to see any shop turning a kid out when he's buying a 16 or 17+ rated game. The only exception is pornographic games but thats because it falls under a different laws ( that is enforced in most countries ).

In almost all countries you get the exact same game as the US one. Do you want to know the difference? The cover is in the language of the country, and the booklets/manual are. Only in a few countries you will see any attempt off different language voice acting in a game.

Interesting fact, the different cover/manual/booklet means nothing to Steam. As they provide the standard English instructions. The same with services like D2D, etc...

So, in effect, beyond that they need to provide a different version for Germany, there is no valid point that gives Valve more work selling the games in the EU. Hell, providing the German version is probably just a extra few if statement, a extra database entry, and some extra disk space on the servers. Seeing as the German versions are identical to the US version, with just a few graphics altered most off the time.

O yea: I'd tried to look more closer to home regarding a few laws that a state tried to enforce. Sure, the super court did trow those laws out off the window, but in the end, do you expect that even if a state suddenly wanted censured games, that everybody in the US, gets a nice price increase up to the EU level? I think not.

Lets be honest, its clear that Valve is just playing favoritism. As a lot off company's have done so for years. Try comparing Dell hardware, US vs EU site. Order it. And be amazed to see how that hardware is shipped to the US, from Ireland, yet, can cost up to 50%+ less, then the same thing, shipped from the same location, to a EU user.

It gets on my nerves when you have Americans in this thread ( and not just here ) claiming how that its the EU users there own fault that they get shafted. And sure, they may not think that we EU users are getting shafted by using the most stupid things as argument, but over the years, that attitude has been rather clear. The typical: "If you don't agree with what we do, then your Anti-American".

You know how many times we have seen the same "but we saved your ♥♥♥ in WOII" or "The French are [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]", ... Yet, when you start pointing out why the US did get in the war, and how they did everything possible to stay out off it. If Japan did not attack the US, and trigger the entire alliance, we will all still be talking German. Then you only get a blank stare back. At times ( many times intact ) i question the educational system off the US. And the so blazing promotion off ignorance with a nice dash off patriotism / and hero worshiping ( also explains why so many comic book figures are the hero type, with proud patriotism bla bla ). Or how French fries became "Freedom Fries", because some dared to talk back to the poor US ( what nota bene is even wrong, as they original came from a other EU country ).

So, no, one law in one country is not any excuse for a price difference. Nor is any language / translation reason, because it does not apply to Steam.

Reminds me off a nice thing that a mate told me what happened at his firm. US company ( Located in Boston ), Economic crisis. O wait, everybody needs to take a payout. Everybody with a US citizenship: 8 to 12%. Everybody with a green card: 25 to 40% pay-cut! Nice ...

Yea, its rather clear how equal people are. And so are we EU buyers ( and not just EU users, but also those from other countries like Australia ) who get the shaft.

Must be coincidence that the UK, the biggest partner off the US ( or better said, it lapdog ), gets the nice price cuts on Steam.

nautsch
07-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Germany for instance has STRICT game laws that prevent games being the same as released in other countries, thus game developers then have to go in an use development time to change the game to fit into the game laws in each country in Europe.

Yeah not quite. Nobody is making the developers/publishers/whoever change the game. Some games are just not released in Germany, because the developers choose not to cut their game down. I am from Germany and I really like to see more of this.

Normally the deveolpers/publishers choose to cut the game down THEMSELVES, to get a lower rating and to have a bigger audience this way in Germany, and to run a lower risk to get their game onto the index (practically unsellable).

This is one more reason, why I don't buy certain game types from Steam, but from the UK. Because nobody can do anything against me importing those games.

supernaut
07-03-2009, 04:11 PM
No mention of the question I sent to Invisible Walls, although they only answered 3 questions during the disappointingly short episode.

briankearon666
07-03-2009, 04:19 PM
No mention of the question I sent to Invisible Walls, although they only answered 3 questions during the disappointingly short episode.

They probably got inundated with questions about ridiculous steam pricing and decided to cut it short. shame

EightySeven
07-03-2009, 04:28 PM
virtua tennis $30 & €45 ($63)

AdiAdrian
07-04-2009, 03:23 AM
In a sarcastic way i thank $team for opening my eyes to alternative ways of buying games online, especially online key stores. They work ( Crysis Wars 10.50 euro, just an example, you can find almost all the big titles at very low prices ).

gavinholl
07-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Back to the topic of games being over priced for Europeans, well some of the games are over priced for Americans too. But there is no long thread complaining about it, we just find an alternative source for the game in question.

I see alot of people missing the point, we're not solely complaining that steam games are overpriced (they are but that's beside the point), it's that we used to pay in dollars, we used to pay the same price as you, for years we paid they same prices as americans, it was fair, then last December steam increased all prices by 30% or more, only for Europeans. We're complaing about an overnight price hike.

Now if you'll forgive me, but if Steam turned around tommorrow and said all Americans must pay 30%+ more than what you've been paying for years, "just because" you'd have have your own "long thread complaining about it"

mhz
07-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Did valve just converted back to dollars? Or maybe its a temporary bug :P

Skaery
07-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Did valve just converted back to dollars? Or maybe its a temporary bug :P

It's still in € here.

mhz
07-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Back to euros :( just a bug

napalmdest54
07-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Time to set a few something strait. I see you using the plural for "countries". There is one country in the EU that has strict laws regarding censuring games. And that Germany.

Non off the other country's have that limitation. So please, drop the "countries", and the insinuation that there is a difference in each country.

The age rating can differ from country to country, but in practice, it means zip. As the age ratings are not enforced. I have yet to see any shop turning a kid out when he's buying a 16 or 17+ rated game. The only exception is pornographic games but thats because it falls under a different laws ( that is enforced in most countries ).

In almost all countries you get the exact same game as the US one. Do you want to know the difference? The cover is in the language of the country, and the booklets/manual are. Only in a few countries you will see any attempt off different language voice acting in a game.

Interesting fact, the different cover/manual/booklet means nothing to Steam. As they provide the standard English instructions. The same with services like D2D, etc...

So, in effect, beyond that they need to provide a different version for Germany, there is no valid point that gives Valve more work selling the games in the EU. Hell, providing the German version is probably just a extra few if statement, a extra database entry, and some extra disk space on the servers. Seeing as the German versions are identical to the US version, with just a few graphics altered most off the time.

O yea: I'd tried to look more closer to home regarding a few laws that a state tried to enforce. Sure, the super court did trow those laws out off the window, but in the end, do you expect that even if a state suddenly wanted censured games, that everybody in the US, gets a nice price increase up to the EU level? I think not.

Lets be honest, its clear that Valve is just playing favoritism. As a lot off company's have done so for years. Try comparing Dell hardware, US vs EU site. Order it. And be amazed to see how that hardware is shipped to the US, from Ireland, yet, can cost up to 50%+ less, then the same thing, shipped from the same location, to a EU user.

It gets on my nerves when you have Americans in this thread ( and not just here ) claiming how that its the EU users there own fault that they get shafted. And sure, they may not think that we EU users are getting shafted by using the most stupid things as argument, but over the years, that attitude has been rather clear. The typical: "If you don't agree with what we do, then your Anti-American".

You know how many times we have seen the same "but we saved your ♥♥♥ in WOII" or "The French are [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]", ... Yet, when you start pointing out why the US did get in the war, and how they did everything possible to stay out off it. If Japan did not attack the US, and trigger the entire alliance, we will all still be talking German. Then you only get a blank stare back. At times ( many times intact ) i question the educational system off the US. And the so blazing promotion off ignorance with a nice dash off patriotism / and hero worshiping ( also explains why so many comic book figures are the hero type, with proud patriotism bla bla ). Or how French fries became "Freedom Fries", because some dared to talk back to the poor US ( what nota bene is even wrong, as they original came from a other EU country ).

So, no, one law in one country is not any excuse for a price difference. Nor is any language / translation reason, because it does not apply to Steam.

Reminds me off a nice thing that a mate told me what happened at his firm. US company ( Located in Boston ), Economic crisis. O wait, everybody needs to take a payout. Everybody with a US citizenship: 8 to 12%. Everybody with a green card: 25 to 40% pay-cut! Nice ...

Yea, its rather clear how equal people are. And so are we EU buyers ( and not just EU users, but also those from other countries like Australia ) who get the shaft.

Must be coincidence that the UK, the biggest partner off the US ( or better said, it lapdog ), gets the nice price cuts on Steam.

You missed the main point of my post, I was supporting the prices be corrected.... Yet you still bashed me when I supported the same idea. Shame on you. But I wont let one person, such as yourself, make the rest of Europe look bad in my eyes. I still support the idea of prices being corrected. Rather you still want to bash me for having this idea is up to you.

eetcheez
07-04-2009, 09:11 AM
In a sarcastic way i thank $team for opening my eyes to alternative ways of buying games online, especially online key stores. They work ( Crysis Wars 10.50 euro, just an example, you can find almost all the big titles at very low prices ).

Are those even legit? I mean, where do they get the keys from?

demolition33
07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
mass effect:
US: 19,99$
Austria/Germany: 45€ = 62,91$

edit:

i think this thread is quite pointless. why?
because it has almost 400 pages and there hasn't neither been any statement nor any change. i also think the only reason this thread is still active is, that it will prevent the forum being flooded by hundreds of threads regarding this matter.
i think the only thing we can do is continue NOT buying the overpriced games until something changes

TF2-Fan01
07-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Well all new retail games I've looked at costs €35 and thats with FREE SHIPPING.
Steam .. €50 for all new games.

Ripoff wow.

MackP
07-05-2009, 09:18 AM
it never even crossed my mind to spend 50 euros on a game that costs 25, mainly because I should be getting 2 games for the price of 1, then secondly because paying 50 euros for a single game is way too much money, no matter how much money you make.
i mean I can buy 500GB hard disk and a cooler to go with it for that amount of money. 3 times that (for 3 games priced at 50 euros) and i can buy latest Nvidia card.
damn...i'm not that stupid..at least not yet.

rypt
07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Nice to see that Valve managed to go from being the darlings of gamers with a very useful Steam system to being being just another greedy corporation that not only screws people over but also breaks EU rules regarding trade (the inability for you to buy from a story located in a different country within the EU).

I have not bought a game via Steam since they introduced country specific pricing and have no intention of buying a game until all the prices on Steam are the same irrespective of where in the world you are.

Nightshade
07-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Nice to see that Valve managed to go from being the darlings of gamers with a very useful Steam system to being being just another greedy corporation that not only screws people over but also breaks EU rules regarding trade (the inability for you to buy from a story located in a different country within the EU).

I have not bought a game via Steam since they introduced country specific pricing and have no intention of buying a game until all the prices on Steam are the same irrespective of where in the world you are.

And they completely ignore the biggest thread of complaint in the whole forum leaving one to wonder how far the company will go from being an idealistic game company with tons of fans to a greedy bloodsucking corporation who don't care about _anything_ in the name of profit!

Its kinda sad they forget that without the support of the customers/fans valve wouldn't be in this position and now they "thank" their loyal fans by trying to get every cent they can from their valets... shame!

Elbart
07-06-2009, 10:06 AM
The announcement of L4D2 showed pretty good, how Corporate-Valve is out of touch with the guys, who made Valve what it is (was).
Same happens with STEAM now. And yes, breaking of EU-laws is pretty much the kicker.

TherapyFailed
07-06-2009, 10:16 AM
True. Steam has really little value to me.

Games are usually much (sometimes much,much) cheaper in other stores...
...which gets us to FUUUUUU thing $=€
Games are bound to my account and i can never sell, gift it another one anymore.
You can not play 2 games you bought at the same time, since you cannot be logged in the same account from different computers.
When Steam is down i cannot play any game at all.

If possible i will buy retail copy of the game over Steam anytime. There are times that game is Steam only (Killing Floor) or there is a super duper discount (5€-10€) that i will consider buying from Steam, but in general - No thank you!

Nurse A
07-06-2009, 10:31 PM
My god, is there still no adjustment to the Euro value of games on steam?

I mean, I like valve, and steam is pretty convenient when I can just pull up one of dozens of games without searching for a CD first... but I would never use the service if it wasn't at least equal to what I could get from a store 2 miles away!

Europeans are really getting hurt here. As an American, I hope they fix their pricing scheme. This flys in the face of what digital distribution is all about!

GoodFriend123
07-06-2009, 11:06 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/mbif6t.jpg + Europe with VAT
OMG

Roachz3
07-07-2009, 04:19 AM
OMG

lol that ♥♥♥♥ is a joke.. that is like 1 euro = 1 dollar 60 ? :P

Valve makes me laugh sometimes..

briankearon666
07-07-2009, 04:36 AM
May i suggest that we organize a period of next week that we ALL continuously send email to all the blogs, news-outlets and websites.

Maybe these emails that will inundate these websites so as they cant ignore the cries for publicity of this problem. Remind some of them that we are no going away etc

Maybe make a list of all these outlets. And possible points to put in the emails. I'm sick of no one publicizing it. and Valve ignoring us

FrostyReaper
07-07-2009, 04:42 AM
An extreme feeling of being ripped off is slowly setting itself in my head... Gonna keep a close check on this thread. I aint that good with currency's so until i hear its ok here i wont by from the store anymore... Glances over to my recently bought/downloaded CoD4

TheBlackDoom
07-07-2009, 04:47 AM
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 US: $29.99 EU: 49,99€ (134% higher)
BattleForge US: $29.99 EU: 49,99€ (134% higher)
Happy Tree Friends False Alarm US: $9.99 EU: 19,99€ (180% higher)
SEGA Rally US: $9.99 EU: 19,99€ (180% higher)
Mass Effect US: $19.99 EU: 44,99€ (215% higher)
Mirror's Edge US: $19.99 EU: 49,99€ (250% higher)

Anyone got something worse? :-/

Roachz3
07-07-2009, 05:04 AM
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 US: $29.99 EU: 49,99€ (134% higher)
BattleForge US: $29.99 EU: 49,99€ (134% higher)
Happy Tree Friends False Alarm US: $9.99 EU: 19,99€ (180% higher)
SEGA Rally US: $9.99 EU: 19,99€ (180% higher)
Mass Effect US: $19.99 EU: 44,99€ (215% higher)
Mirror's Edge US: $19.99 EU: 49,99€ (250% higher)

Anyone got something worse? :-/

some time ago therew as a game around 1300% more expensiver.. dunno anymore what game that was tough :( but i do know UK an US got a pricereduction and EU got ♥♥♥♥ed :P

GoodFriend123
07-07-2009, 05:08 AM
OMG GUYS...

LETS ALL SEND NEW MESSAGES TO VALVE !!!!

NOW ALL SEND ABOUT 1000000000 MISSAGE TO VALVE AND SAY: WE WANT FAIR PRICE !!! WE WANT USA DOLLARS NOT EUROS !!!!!!!!!!!1

Skaery
07-07-2009, 05:16 AM
OMG GUYS...

NOW ALL SEND ABOUT 1000000000 MISSAGE TO VALVE AND SAY: WE WANT FAIR PRICE !!! WE WANT USA DOLLARS NOT EUROS !!!!!!!!!!!1
...and a reminder not to use caps.

Roachz3
07-07-2009, 05:32 AM
OMG GUYS...

you did a 1 instead of a !... such a f00

El Pollo Diablo
07-07-2009, 06:45 AM
this thread is doomed. nothing will ever happen and not even the mods are checking it anymore. just a place we all can rant, but nobody (who's in charge) will ever read/care.

you all get a paypal friend in the US and let them gift you the games. it's the only way. valve f***ed this one up and will keep it that way. forever (oh wait, no, when the €uro will crash, we'll be back to US $).

i support the cause, but gave up to keep this on page 1.

surrendering to capitalism. again.

Elbart
07-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Euro crash? LOL, before that happens, the FED and China will let the USD crash. THEN we'll be ranting. :D

-ReuF-
07-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Stop moaning, buy your games at the local retailer and let Steam bleed to death in EU. Simple as that...

Nightshade
07-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Stop moaning, buy your games at the local retailer and let Steam bleed to death in EU. Simple as that...

Agreed, only way to show a greedy corporation. If they cant suck all your blood they might be content with some rather than none...

El Pollo Diablo
07-07-2009, 02:50 PM

nazareth told it pretty well: DREAM ON.

grow up

FrostyReaper
07-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Or why dont we all just go back and buy our games here? Based on one currency. Im Euro but still say that; I might lose alittle but for the simplicity of using steam its worth it. So if i buy in USD or GBP or what ever i dont mind. But there shouldnt be differences. Why should i pay that much more? Sure you us ppl might think we are a bunch of moaning *itches. But still, reverse the tables. Wouldnt you be *issed about it? I dont mind paying in different currency. But i think we all should buy our games at the same value. If so be slovakia or Us. On steam same price. An world medium price. Not the most expensive. Maybe not the cheapest. As long as its equal...

rypt
07-08-2009, 09:28 AM
OMG

And £1 = $1? As if.
That should be £21 with the UK 15% VAT rate applied; and 25 Euro with the EU 17.5% average VAT applied

marekfreak1
07-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Yip...keep this thread alive. Let every Euro know, how Steam has become a total ripoff.

Its obvious Valve know exactly what they are doing but they just don't give a flying frack. What's more upsetting is that most if not all game publishers know about the ripoff prices on Steam, but couldn't be bothered. In this case I wouldn't even buy those particular games in retail as well i.e. at least those games available on Steam as well.

In addition to voting with your wallets, there is always one really simple alternative to getting games, which are overpriced on Steam. It will only cost you time and space on your hard-drive.

-ReuF-
07-09-2009, 03:31 AM
What I don't understand about most of you guys (and girls) is the following:
When you go to the sports shop to buy yourself a pair of sneakers and the price is waaaaaay too high, what do you do:
A. Walk out of the door and get your sneakers somewhere else for a better price.
B. Go back to the same expensive store every day and tell the guy he's asking too much money for the shoes over and over again? (And maybe even buying them for a 25% higher price).

'Cause that's what happens here. As long as we Europeans (Dutch here) are so stupid to pay 20~30% more for a game, Steam will be fine. They're probably making a LOT of money in their home country, so they don't give a damn about the EU selling rates...

EightySeven
07-09-2009, 03:47 AM
i think they make more from europe since dollar=euro price and and 1 euro = 1.4 dollars

mouton
07-09-2009, 05:43 AM
When you go to the sports shop to buy yourself a pair of sneakers and the price is waaaaaay too high, what do you do:
A. Walk out of the door and get your sneakers somewhere else for a better price.
B. Go back to the same expensive store every day and tell the guy he's asking too much money for the shoes over and over again? (And maybe even buying them for a 25% higher price).

'Cause that's what happens here. As long as we Europeans (Dutch here) are so stupid to pay 20~30% more for a game, Steam will be fine. They're probably making a LOT of money in their home country, so they don't give a damn about the EU selling rates...
Well, of course we choose the option A.

BUT remember that this analogy is inexact - you see, every day we want to play a game, we have to walk back to that expensive store. We don't have to buy anything but we have to sit there, having this borderline scam rubbed into our faces. "1 year old game for only 50 euro! SALE!". This is annoying, at best. Hence this thread.

Simplex
07-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I noticed that Lucasarts games are on steam cost 4€. I'm gonna check if in US they cost 4$.

EDIT: not o horribly bad, at least for my region (Poland)
All old lucas games that cost 4€ in Poland, in US cost 5$ (4,6€). It's steam so it could have been waaaay worse.
Still I hope those classics will appear on GoG.

Also, more expensive games are less fairly priced:
18€=20$ (Lego indy, Battlefront II, Thrillville).

impar
07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Greetings!

Wake up, Steam!
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5121/imagem0221.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5494/st20mirror.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8840/imagem0231.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8068/st20ds.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/307/imagem0241.jpg
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3262/stme1.jpg

Wulfklaue
07-09-2009, 05:38 PM

The problem is, you can not use a direct analogy with a physical store.

The products that you own on Steam, are stuck on steam. There is no transferring those products. So, if a upgrade/expansion for a game comes out, ... Have fun buying it at a other store, when it needs to original game.

The entire idea about Steam was to be able to manage your games with easy. But the fact that our games on Steam are none refundable or movable, that means we are stuck with steam, even if we don't want to... Its ok for somebody that has maybe 5 games on Steam, but some off use have larger collection that we build up from the dollar period.

There is also a emotional string that Valve hit with the price change, and current price gouging. You are constantly reminded that x games comes out thanks to Steams homepage, or pop ups, and instinctively you look at the game. He! That looks interesting, move mouse to buy button. And then its again. WTF? 49.99€ Nuts! Or those sweet promotions, selling something 50% off, whats just normal store prices, and daring to call it a massive promotion. Its bordering fraud.

I know that there are laws that a shop can not suddenly raise there prices, to then offer a massive discount ( Think its because it playing into people's physiology. Aka ripoff ). But as Steam keeps there prices high, and then does massive discounts ( to get the psychological feeling in people to buy, with some nice big 50% or 75% bold discount letters ) its not considered the same.

In other words, we own something on Steam. Its like owning shares in a company. There is a link to that company. If the board off directors are making a mess off it, or are doing something that you don't like. Well, you complain about it at the next stockholders meeting. But, as you can tell, our opinions especially at the start, have been heavy handed crushed ( see the banned members, and the few hundred deleted posts ). Any outcry off us, is ignored in the media. So, it creates a radical fractions, who will keep pushing there outcry to the public with any means.

And do not underestimate us. It may not look like there are many people who are active, but just last week, when the media picked up the Lucas Arts possible deal, on several site's there comments forum, guess what the first things people talked about? Yep, prices, 1$=1€, etc ...

And take my word on it, i keep a lookout on who starts those talks, and it are most off the time, different people. So, its not just us few repeat posters ;) Other people who have no bearing on this topic, are also spreading the word.

Think off it like this:

Valve is a brick wall. We repeat posters are trying to claw our way inside ( to draw the attention off Valve ). The only tools we have are our fingernails. So we scratch that wall. It may not look to make any difference, but while we are scratching the wall, we draw the attention off people passing by. Only a few join, but they also start drawing the attention off other people. Only a few join ...

So, in the end, rather the wall falls down, and Valve caves in. Or we get tired off scratching. Well, i'm not tired at all. And it looks like a lot off other people are also not tired.

Probably the other way around. They are using the high EU prices, to compensate the drop in US prices. What they need to do, is to keep there market presence/share in the US. And they need lower prices for that. But lower prices means less revenue. So use the currency exchange rate in there advantage, combined with longer higher prices. And so called weekend deals to draw in the sheep, who think they made a deal ( whats maybe 95% off any population ). The EU is just a secondary market for them, its not there home market ( and you know how protective / patriotic American's can be ).

And what is preventing Valve from doing to exact opposite if the dollar - euro price because 0.75$ for each 1 euro, instead off the now 1.4$ for each 1 euro.

They have already tasted how they can screw people around, whats there preventing form changing currency's again in the future, when the exchange rate becomes a disadvantage in euro's for Valve, and its better to sell in dollar for Valve?

brotrrwinner
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Greetings!

Wake up, Steam!
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5121/imagem0221.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5494/st20mirror.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8840/imagem0231.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8068/st20ds.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/307/imagem0241.jpg
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3262/stme1.jpg

Saudaηυes Lusas :)

What store is that?

U62
07-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Tales of Monkey Island

Steam - €33
Telltale direct - $35 = €25

Telltale also send you all 5 episodes on DVD after all seasons have been released.

impar
07-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Greetings!
What store is that?
Is was on a "Dentinho" store.
But the games should be available at those prices at any specialized game store or larger surface. Its from the Classical/Bestseller/reduced price series of games.
Do note that all of those come with Securom.

Cohrek
07-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Agreed, only way to show a greedy corporation. If they cant suck all your blood they might be content with some rather than none...

Valve is a private company.

brotrrwinner
07-10-2009, 07:15 AM
They're still greedy

-ReuF-
07-10-2009, 07:44 AM
...(snip)...
Well, i'm not tired at all. And it looks like a lot of other people are also not tired.
...(snip)...

Thanks for your extensive post Wulfklaue. I am still not seeing things the way you do. But apparently you're right saying that you, and many others, are still not tired complaining about Steam's ridiculous price levels.

Anyway, I won't spend my money here, except for the weekend deals (which aren't really DEALS most of the time), and get my games somewhere else.

Have a nice weekend y'all!

TF2-Fan01
07-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Anyway, new releases on Steam should not cost more than what you pay at a friggin retail store. €35 is the current price on new retail games so considering you get absolutely nothing but the game when buying from Steam, they should cost €30. Yeah. Nobody with a brain cell is going to purchase a game for 50 euros. Oh and by the way, Call of Duty 4 still costs 50 euros, a game released in 2007!!!

Lance_Lake
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
All old lucas games that cost 4€ in Poland, in US cost 5$ (4,6€).

How DARE they charge American citizens more for a game! I'm going to start a petition, make a website, report this to the media, make the second biggest thread on valves forums (It will never catch this one) and generally complain that I want apologies from Valve, free games and stock in their company before I report Valve to the attorney general for fraud.

So I ask you.. Is that reasonable?

brotrrwinner
07-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Just another troll folks, move along

Lance_Lake
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Just another troll folks, move along

Why am I a troll when I am doing the flip side of what you all are doing? I didn't change any of the facts or any motivations.. I just changed countries.

or do you feel that the EU should always be cheaper no matter what?

impar
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Greetings!
Why am I a troll when I am doing the flip side of what you all are doing?
When you have the large majoirty of US$ game prices 15-300% more expensive than the same game priced in € you can complain, until then, you are trolling.

supernaut
07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Greetings!

You're always so polite, I love it.

Lance_Lake
07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Greetings!

When you have the large majoirty of US$ game prices 15-300% more expensive than the same game priced in € you can complain, until then, you are trolling.

I see.. So anyone who is from the US is automatically a troll. Gotcha. So you aren't interested in talking about the issue, just ♥♥♥♥♥ing about it among yourselves. Makes sense I guess. I'd just like to point out that by your own rules, if Valve posted in here, they would be "trolling" and should be ignored.

TF2-Fan01
07-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Get over yourself mr pimple face.

EightySeven
07-10-2009, 01:28 PM
rofl lance from the 1500 games on steam you find the 1 thats cheaper for europeans congrats on that

impar
07-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Greetings!
You're always so polite, I love it.
Oh... Thanks! You are very kind!
So anyone who is from the US is automatically a troll.
No.
You must find other games available in the US store that are more expensive in the EU store.
That one that you found, is the exception to the rule.
When a large percentage of the games available through Steam are more expensive in US$ than in € you have reasons to complain.

MagrothJ
07-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Tales of Monkey Island

Steam - €33
Telltale direct - $35 = €25

Telltale also send you all 5 episodes on DVD after all seasons have been released.

Yeah, that's where I bought it too.

F3nya
07-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Greetings!

Is was on a "Dentinho" store.
But the games should be available at those prices at any specialized game store or larger surface. Its from the Classical/Bestseller/reduced price series of games.
Yeah he's right, it's the default price everywhere right now, though Mass Effect seems to be priced 19,95eur aswel.

But so do the Steam versions, no?

impar
07-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Greetings!
But so do the Steam versions, no?
Not Mass Effect.
The others I think they are still infected.

Simplex
07-11-2009, 01:02 AM
I got it wrong. Lucas games I mentioned are 13% more expensive in EU.
I wonder what Lance will say now. Maybe if he looks very hard he will find one game that is cheaper in EU and he will be able to keep on trollin'

MagrothJ
07-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Well, just the ones that cost €4 are around 13% more expensive in EU. The ones that cost €18 are around 25% more expensive.

supernaut
07-11-2009, 07:29 AM
For this weeks episode of Invisible Walls, (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-65-invisible-walls/52657) 30 people asked if EA is porting L4D2 for the PS3. If it takes 30 people for them to read out a question and discuss it, then I say lets get out the big guns, because the email I sent a week ago didn't do anything.

So everyone who would like to get more exposure for this issue, please send your email to: invisiblewalls@gametrailers.com

As long as it's not written as hate mail, then I'm sure they'll read it out if we get at least 20 people to send an email about the same issue. I'd be nice if we can top the 30 people who asked about the L4D2 port or at least match it. :)

Here's the email I sent, if you need something for reference...

Hi,

I was wondering why game journalists (in general) aren't doing their job by reporting on price discrimination on Steam towards Europeans ? A Left 4 Dead 2 boycott is a more interesting headline, for sure, but the fact of the matter is that Europeans who are paying in Euros on Steam, are getting severely ripped off compared to the rest of the world. Valve keeps ignoring a thread on their own forums with nearly 6000 replies and 600 000 views. This issue also has a Steam group with over 20 000 members and an entire website dedicated to it. Valve hasn't responded to the community for over 6 months now, after saying that they are working on the issue. Mike D (from Valve): "Yes, we agree that some of the prices for third party products are higher then what you can find locally but we are working to fix that." (from http://www.steamfriends.com/news/3635/prices-steam-euros)

Keep up the good work, I love the show.
supernaut

I also linked them to this thread, the Steam group and the site dedicated to this problem.

Roachz3
07-11-2009, 08:54 AM
For this weeks episode of Invisible Walls, (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-65-invisible-walls/52657) 30 people asked if EA is porting L4D2 for the PS3. If it takes 30 people for them to read out a question and discuss it, then I say lets get out the big guns, because the email I sent a week ago didn't do anything.

So everyone who would like to get more exposure for this issue, please send your email to: invisiblewalls@gametrailers.com

As long as it's not written as hate mail, then I'm sure they'll read it out if we get at least 20 people to send an email about the same issue. I'd be nice if we can top the 30 people who asked about the L4D2 port or at least match it. :)

Here's the email I sent, if you need something for reference...

I also linked them to this thread, the Steam group and the site dedicated to this problem.

Mail has been sent..

supernaut
07-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Mail has been sent..

Much appreciated. I added a comment about this to our Steam group, hopefully more people will join in on bombing them with emails. :)

briankearon666
07-11-2009, 11:23 AM
for those who are interested, I emailed the Gamespot UK podcast and got read out. Episode from 09/07/09 around the 28 minute mark is here i got read out.
http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/features/ukpodcast/index.php?tag=subnav;ukpodcast

They generally dodged my question, said that the price differences were pretty bad, but none of them were real PC gamers so weren't really too inciteful. There was a developer on who pointed out that steam dont set the prices, the publishers do, which is fairly well known. This point is often overlooked/ignored by many posters here (including me). Didnt read out all of my email, as it was too long. Shame.

Most of the important points were at the end.
Which they ended up not answering.

Gimiz
07-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Which they ended up not answering.

Journalists become more and more like politics, and it unpleases me more and more each day.

maedox
07-12-2009, 03:54 AM

E-mail sent. :)

raiden747
07-12-2009, 04:25 AM
E-mail sent. :)

Me too.

For me, the worst thing is not raising the prices itself (which is horrible though), but lack of communication in Valve's part. This seriously affected Valve's image, who they've been a few years ago.

Wulfklaue
07-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Mail send:

Dear Sirs,

I have been told that a few people have been trying to contact you service regarding the publicity concerning the EU price problems.

We do not know if you are aware, but last year Valve altered the pricing structure for the EU. Where in the past, the EU buyers had the ability to buy in dollars, this was changed into euro's. Now, with the correct application off the currency conversion, this will not have been a problem. But, instead off the 1.3/1.4$ for each euro, Valve used a 1:1 ratio. Making all there games instantly 30% more expensive.

Over time, new game's getting released in the EU, stay longer at premium price's,, while the same physical games ( sold in shops ) drop in prices. And, the US/UK shop follow in price drops, yet, the EU stay at "new" prices ( 49.99€, 44.99€ ), while the exact same digital product, cost maybe 19.99$ or 14.99$. Making games up to 400% more expensive!

Interesting fact is, that Valve also forbids the ability for EU buyers, from buying in the UK Steam store. In contrary to EU laws. At this moment they get away with it, using a technicality in the EU laws.

Even Steam's weekend deals, are more or less a scam, as most EU sold games are during the weekend deals, priced the same as retail or slightly higher. They are using the psychological effect to make people think they make a "deal", while in fact, they are off just as good, buying in a local store ( and might even end up cheaper, then the so called "deal" price ).

Below you will find a email that was send to 17 Valve staff email addresses, with 50+ questions. With no responds.

Other points off interest:

Steams Forum thread ( 6000 Posts, 610.000 views! )
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770231

A independent website reporting on incorrect pricing.
http://www.steamunpowered.eu/

Until now, there has been not a single official answer to this pricing problem. And a reluctance off the gaming news reporting to look at this topic, in fear off losing there access to previews/beta's etc ... Its a sad day when so called independent news/review writers, show how depended they are on the goodwill of firms, up to the point that they gladly give better scores, or even hide information.

I hope that your news service will be more forthcoming.

Kind regards,
xxxx

Below the email, is the original 50+ question that have been send to Valve.

supernaut
07-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Nice .

Lance_Lake
07-12-2009, 09:58 AM
I wonder what Lance will say now. Maybe if he looks very hard he will find one game that is cheaper in EU and he will be able to keep on trollin'

It doesn't matter. It's still the same message I'm trying to convey.

If the situation was reversed, you people in the EU would think us Americans were crybabies.

Look, I agree with you guys that it's wrong. But this is taking it to far. They aren't breaking the law, they just made a bad business decision. So I guess I don't understand why, if steam was so evil and such, are you guys still here?

You complain about the prices, but you don't want to buy it anywhere else? Are any of you trapped and Steam is the only service you can access? It's like someone standing outside of McDonalds complaining that their prices are to high and starting websites and such about how they are to pricey when a burger king is right next door. Just go there and stop complaining.

What I don't get is.. What's the point of this thread? Valve won't change the pricing. So why keep ♥♥♥♥♥ing at them. Just go to a different service where prices are more EU friendly. Because to people not in the EU, I suspect you are not showing your union as anything but a bunch of people who complain allot.

8feetofodder
07-12-2009, 10:18 AM
ok, I think that sounds good. I agree

mouton
07-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Ok, Lancelot, you complained that you just get flamed here so here I give you a detailed reply. Enjoy.
If the situation was reversed, you people in the EU would think us Americans were crybabies.
Untrue. Australians have ridiculous prices for games everywhere, be it online or retail, and i always felt they complained justly.

They aren't breaking the law, they just made a bad business decision.
Legality is not the point here, what matters is that it is grossly unfair to us. That's perfectly enough for me to be annoyed.

So I guess I don't understand why, if steam was so evil and such, are you guys still here? You complain about the prices, but you don't want to buy it anywhere else? Are any of you trapped and Steam is the only service you can access? We are still here because we already own a lot of games on Steam and whenever we want to play them we have to come here and have the insulting euro prices rubbed into our faces. Also, Valve always had a good reputation. If they were just another faceless corporation I would just go away and forget about it. But the higher you are, the harder you fall.
What I don't get is.. What's the point of this thread? Valve won't change the pricing. So why keep ♥♥♥♥♥ing at them.
Valve would LOVE if all echoes of their ridiculous decision faded away. So keeping this thread alive is the very least we can do. Besides, it's just one thread, you are not forced to read it, just ignore it if it angers you.

Lance_Lake
07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Ok, Lancelot, you complained that you just get flamed here so here I give you a detailed reply. Enjoy.

Thank you for your detailed, non-flaming reply. :)

Untrue. Australians have ridiculous prices for games everywhere, be it online or retail, and i always felt they complained justly.

Agreed. I hardly ever hear about how Australians are overcharged (although, from what I understand, most everything imported to there is as well, so it may have to do with their currency power). That's kind of proving the point I'm making however. They don't have a major thread about it, they get charged more, complain about it and seeing it not changing, they drop it (or continue to complain occasionally).

I'm not saying it's wrong to complain. What I'm saying is wrong is complaining over and over and making yourselves upset more and more over a situation that Valve is unwilling (or unable) to correct.

Legality is not the point here, what matters is that it is grossly unfair to us. That's perfectly enough for me to be annoyed.

Oh yes. Deffently. I'd be annoyed as well. I just wouldn't dwell on it for months and months.

If a store was charging more then other places, I'd be upset (if I had bought there before), but after a few days, I'd get over it and buy someplace else. I wouldn't stage strikes against the store and contact the media about how wrong it is and go on their website and complain constantly about it. I'd just buy my stuff someplace else.

and as for legality, I agree. It's not even a point to bring up. Except some people are saying that Valve is disobeying EU law (though them having to follow it was confirmed as not true by some EU government employee back about 100 pages ago).

We are still here because we already own a lot of games on Steam and whenever we want to play them we have to come here and have the insulting euro prices rubbed into our faces.

Fair enough. So why do you have to come here? I mean, I have steam running and it's on my games. I only go to the store when I want to buy something. Are you talking about the popups when you restart? Yeah, those are annoying. But can't you just click next without reading them? I agree you shouldn't have to, but if it upsets you, then that may work.

Also, Valve always had a good reputation. If they were just another faceless corporation I would just go away and forget about it. But the higher you are, the harder you fall.

Well, the rep of Valve went down for EU people apparently. So why not just treat it like a faceless corporation? Why do you feel you owe alligence to a corporation that treats you badly by "rubbing your noses in it"?

Valve would LOVE if all echoes of their ridiculous decision faded away. So keeping this thread alive is the very least we can do. Besides, it's just one thread, you are not forced to read it, just ignore it if it angers you.

You are mistaken. I am not angered by this thread. I read it and find it entertaining honestly. If you are posting on the thread to keep it alive, then ok. Bravo. I didn't see the thread dying (what is your deffinition of "not alive" I wonder), but perhaps to some people, it was. Wouldn't a "bump" post do just as well once a day or so?

*VeLeRoN*
07-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Fair enough. So why do you have to come here? I mean, I have steam running and it's on my games. I only go to the store when I want to buy something. Are you talking about the popups when you restart? Yeah, those are annoying. But can't you just click next without reading them? I agree you shouldn't have to, but if it upsets you, then that may work.

Not really, you can disable them: Steam, settings, interface - uncheck "notify me (with Steam instant messages) about additions or changes to my games ..." That's all.

mouton
07-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Wouldn't a "bump" post do just as well once a day or so?
You see, the fun part is there isn't even need for that. Sure, there are some semi-regular posters like me, but there is often someone new coming along having just discovered all this mess. That's the key here - there are thousands of complain threads in the internet, hell, hundreds on those forums alone - but Valve really really failed here. This thread doesn't even require any effort to maintain, hell, usually I post here like every few weeks or less often. Valve itself provided all the momentum for this thread needed to roll for a considerable while.

So really, any calls to "stop complaining and move along" might have worked if the thread was maintained by just a few guys with a grudge. But this thing is just too big. Like, one sub-continent big.

Nosaer
07-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Mouton is right.
It's not about the whole pricing issue anymore I've learned to live with it and that's why I'll never buy from Steam again.
But the fact that we have to use Steam to be able to play the games we bought so far keeps annoying us.

To make your McDonald's metaphor more realistic.
It's like buying a burger which takes you year's to consume and they don't allow you to take it home and buy other burgers at any of there other restaurants in the future.
So each time you want a bite you'll have to go to them.
Because you thought it was convenient to have all you burgers nicely stored and kept fresh, you start buying there other burgers too.
But then all of a sudden they raised there prices enormously for only that particular restaurant on the rest of there burgers.
You could go the the Burger King from that day forward but you still have those burgers at McDonald's and on top of that there other customers at other restaurants are or not affected and still pay the old prices.

That's the situation. If there was a way to get all of my games from steam as in taking my burgers home, I would have left months after the the price issue, but I just CAN'T and that's why this issue cannot and will not die down.
They will win if that would happen and new customers have the right to know what valve is capable of.

arose1980
07-12-2009, 02:16 PM

The problem is that the complaining doesn't stay in this thread, it contaminates the all of the forums. So its not so much that we can avoid this thread if we don't want to discuss the topic, we have people coming into threads that have nothing to do with the euro pricing just to make a stink about it.

Secondly, if you want to purchase games via the dollar, have a friend gift it to you. The option is there.

mouton
07-12-2009, 02:49 PM
The problem is that the complaining doesn't stay in this thread, it contaminates the all of the forums. So its not so much that we can avoid this thread if we don't want to discuss the topic, we have people coming into threads that have nothing to do with the euro pricing just to make a stink about it.
Well, you have to thank Valve for that, it's not like people decided to flame out of nothing, eh? If this thread didn't exist, this topic would into other threads more. Besides, they get punished by the mods more often than not, their posts deleted etc. I don't support spamming all threads but in this case I guess you can't avoid some spill overs.

Secondly, if you want to purchase games via the dollar, have a friend gift it to you. The option is there.
True. But this is against the Steam user agreements and can get you in trouble. Also, not everyone has a friend in USA whom he can trust with money transfers. Besides, that's just a conditional workaround, not a real solution.

El Pollo Diablo
07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
True. But this is against the Steam user agreements and can get you in trouble.

are you sure it is?

Wulfklaue
07-12-2009, 04:06 PM

True, there is spillover into other threads. But when you see somebody post how happy they are when buying, lets say Mass Effect for 19.99$, that becomes like waving a red flag before a bull ( one that needs to pay 44.99€ ).

There are a lot off topics, where the original topic itself crosses over into this same domain. Its not just about the 1$=1€, but also the UK shop problem, the EULA, etc ...

What about buying a pack, and losing all the games from the pack, because you already own those games? Not exactly correct he. Buy a pack in the shop, and give away your old games to somebody else. Yet, here its not possible.

This thread/topic/movement has become a beacon off light, to inform people about all the the rotten things Valve tries to pull.

Be extreme glad that this topic exist, because it acts like a tar pit, sucking in some off the complaints. If this did not exist, trust me, you are going to see a lot more thread pollution.

I can even give a perfect example. Before this chance, there was a lot off discussion from UK buyers ( who did get bad prices then, and now some off the best prices ), and this also polluted threads.

Hell, what we learned from it: Don't give up, keep annoying Valve, because one day, you are going to end up with some off the best prices ;)

El Pollo Diablo: Yes, its in the EULA, that you can not sell or buy gifted games. The punishment for it is losing your entire! account. Nice one he, if you have 100, 200 or so games on it.

While its stated in the other thread, its not illegal to do so. And the EULA is actually breaking the law if they ever try to enforce it. But well, its scaring some people ( that that actually bother reading it ;) ). So, Valve is happy.

Worst part about that is. Its filled with rather lose statements where Valve can shutdown your entire account, for some idiotic, and even none apply able rules ( those are none apply able, because they are against the law! ).

Thats also whats starting to scare people, and a side effect from all this 1$=1€, that more & more people read that EULA, and that then brings up more discussions ( that also spill/crossover over into the EU thing ).

arose1980
07-12-2009, 09:41 PM
El Pollo Diablo: Yes, its in the EULA, that you can not sell or buy gifted games. The punishment for it is losing your entire! account. Nice one he, if you have 100, 200 or so games on it.

While its stated in the other thread, its not illegal to do so. And the EULA is actually breaking the law if they ever try to enforce it. But well, its scaring some people ( that that actually bother reading it ;) ). So, Valve is happy.

Worst part about that is. Its filled with rather lose statements where Valve can shutdown your entire account, for some idiotic, and even none apply able rules ( those are none apply able, because they are against the law! ).

Thats also whats starting to scare people, and a side effect from all this 1$=1€, that more & more people read that EULA, and that then brings up more discussions ( that also spill/crossover over into the EU thing ).

Well here is the thing. When one gifts a game they are not selling it, even if its to a person who pays them back. Rather it would be like me selling my account to somebody, losing access to it but getting money for it. Second, there is no way that Valve can actually find out whether you gifted the game to a buddy because it was his birthday/ a grad present/ or because they paid you for it. I am not saying that one should abuse the option, however I have yet to find out anyone who lost his account because of it.

Regarding the package issue, that I believe is more geared to the publisher. They would be losing money big time. Why? Simple. Lets say you bought Empire: Total War and then purchased a package that had that game. If you were able to gift the other copy then that is a lost sale for the publisher. If I was a publisher I wouldn't do it either. As a customer I would prefer it, as a business man I wouldn't do it. This isn't a Valve issue this is a publisher issue.

Wulfklaue
07-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Regarding the package issue, that I believe is more geared to the publisher. They would be losing money big time. Why? Simple. Lets say you bought Empire: Total War and then purchased a package that had that game. If you were able to gift the other copy then that is a lost sale for the publisher. If I was a publisher I wouldn't do it either. As a customer I would prefer it, as a business man I wouldn't do it. This isn't a Valve issue this is a publisher issue.

Arose:

It does not mater what the publisher wants. You payed for one copy off Game X. Now you buy bundle Z, that has Game X, Y, Z. That means you payed to own Game X twice!

Its called consumer fraud when you pay for something, and you don't get it. No mater what the publisher wants.

Lets say you own the CD off Michael Jackson Triller. You buy the compilation music DVD. It has a lot off songs, including the the exact same songs from that single CD. Does that mean that all off a sudden, your original CD disappears in thin air. *plop* Gone .. No.

Take my word on this one, Valve will implement a system in the future where they will give people a gift certificate in the future when there are doubles. The only reason the don't do it now, is just because no state / country has done a investigation about it.

Its the same as MS there IE crap. Noooo, IE is integrated in Windows, its impossible to deliver Windows without IE... Bla bla bla ... Until they get a nice fine. All off a sudden its possible. All off a sudden, IE 8, what was supposed to be able to run only on Vista or Windows 7, can suddenly be delivered separately on other system.

Company's put out a big stink about Piracy, but they them selfs are not strangers in breaking laws, or staying in a gray zone, deliberately to increase profit on the backs off there customers.

Its the same with the UK store problem. They do it, because they can get away with it. When those new laws come in effect that will prevent it, just watch how all off a sudden, the UK store will see a chance ( probably matching the prices with the EU Tier 1, and opening it up ). Or they will use the next loophole.

And i have a hard time believing that the Publisher pushed for a system that opens them up for potential problems in the future. Do you know what it really looks like from me point off view? The programmers just being lazy. Its way more easy to just ignore the problem for a programmer, and merge the package with the existing games. Then needing to add more routines to create gifts ( what also need more checks ).

Nobody cared about it, and hey, we can spin it as a advantage if needed. We saved work, and can work on xx other feature for the system. And if needed, we can implement that system in the future. From a programmer point off view, thats how i will spin it *lol* ;) Its a thing, that has no real added value for the company's profit, so its low priority.

So yea, in the future when there is a more legal investigation, or some other problem, they will implement it. And all the people who already purchased bundled games? Too bad, it takes to long to implement a routine thats going to search all the bundles from the past, and give people gifts for those ( and its way to dangerous, one little error, and you can end up giving 100.000 gifts to people that are not supposed to get it ). So yea... forget about every getting those rightfully double games that you own / have the license for.

My estimate, 3 years from now or so ( unless they are already getting heat from a somebody thats bigger then there customers, because that i also know. A customer != king. In general, the customer is the last person that can get a company to correct a problem ).

Directx10
07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
In general, the customer is the last person that can get a company to correct a problem

Kinda makes it hard to take your whole argument serious with that one little uninformed statement.

I as the customer am paying there bills, if I don't like the product, then I won't buy it, they won't get money. They don't get money, they can't pay for electricity in there building this month, oops they went out of business.

If a company gives a ♥♥♥♥ about staying in business they will listen to there customers.

Also, on another note, who do you suppose is the proper person who can make a company correct a problem?

Simplex
07-13-2009, 12:42 AM
True. But this is against the Steam user agreements and can get you in trouble.are you sure it is?
http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1834

Guess why my post about how to get Trine cheaper was deleted?

(answer: because I wrote that a friend in US/UK can gift it to you).

impar
07-13-2009, 01:21 AM
Greetings!
The problem is that the complaining doesn't stay in this thread, it contaminates the all of the forums.
Well, when the ♥♥♥♥ hits the fan, spillovers are expected to happen.

Wulfklaue
07-13-2009, 04:23 AM
Kinda makes it hard to take your whole argument serious with that one little uninformed statement.

I as the customer am paying there bills, if I don't like the product, then I won't buy it, they won't get money. They don't get money, they can't pay for electricity in there building this month, oops they went out of business.

If a company gives a ♥♥♥♥ about staying in business they will listen to there customers.

Also, on another note, who do you suppose is the proper person who can make a company correct a problem?

Take it from somebody that knows. The more customers a company has, the less influence a customer can exert on the company.

We, the EU buyers are just part off the customer base. In other words, our power to influence Valve in fixing that currency/price problems is limited. How many EU customer does Valve have? 1/3th off there total Customers? Then take away the UK shop. Then start by seeing the effect from the Tier 1/2/3 system. Then remove all the sheep, who don't bother checking the prices. In the end, its just divide & conquer.

You have 3 type's off customers:

- The one's that don't complain, and always pay. Even when they are getting ripped off before there eye's.

- The one's that complain, but who are correct to complain.

- The one's that complain for every daim little thing.

Guess what group is the majority in any business? The first one. Its people like that, that keep bad company's in business. Even when the second group is right.

Take it from personal job experience. I've working in a company with idiotic bosses, who pushed the developers to constantly write code, not test it, release it every few days ( if you are a software developer, you know how idiotic that is ). In the end, every customer database was filled with corrupt data, and more time was spend tracing & fixing the problems in the code / database, because off both combined ( code bugs / database corruption ).

And the one's that made it possible, are the customers that did not complain ( or did not dared to complain ), and kept paying. If you had a private conversation with them, you found out that they wanted to complain, but feared the power that the company had over there system.

Just like how Valve uses its ability to put fear into people, that there account may be banned for every little thing ( there are people who actually think that getting your account banned on this forum = getting your game account banned ). And anybody with a few dozen, or hundred games on a account, is not going to risk it ( unless like some off use, we don't care anymore ).

In reality, it are different factors that help Valve from fearing the impact that they did with the EU currency changes ( and that first group is the main reason ). And it takes years before people realize whats going on, and it has a major impact on Valve's business.

There is a reason why the government at times makes laws that look to be invasive against company's, but people actually need to be protected from themselves, or there own stupidity.

And boy, people are stupid. Take one law for instance, that states that a company can not raise there prices, to quickly discount it. A company sells product x for 25€. But, the jack up the price to 50€, and then advertise a 50% discount. Making the product cost ... 25€. And people fall for that big time. Because people are suckers for discounts. Valve on the other hand, just keeps the prices high, and then discounts to the store level ( evading any problems with the law ;) ). And again, people fall for it, thinking that they made a great deal, while they end up paying the same as a store, or even more.

El Pollo Diablo
07-13-2009, 04:44 AM

how odd. apart from the *****y i really can't imagine, valve could have an insight in any financial transactions between private persons, thus failing the opportunity to do so or to deliver any proof of it.

oh well, who cares about steam anyway. i just hope telltale games will not become like that.

briankearon666
07-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Greetings!

Well, when the ♥♥♥♥ hits the fan, spillovers are expected to happen.

I was in the Mass Effect portion of the forums, and saw a posting about the price difference. I was shocked to see the the mods hadn't closed it. I suppose that this is due to the deletion of post and the closing any other thread opening about the price differences across different regions that has been going on. I'm surprised that there isn't more spill over into other sections of the forums. I'm sure valve are pretty happy to keep this open as long as there are no more threads in other sections of the forums about it.

mchufnagel
07-13-2009, 09:51 AM
I was in the Mass Effect portion of the forums, and saw a posting about the price difference. I was shocked to see the the mods hadn't closed it. I suppose that this is due to the deletion of post and the closing any other thread opening about the price differences across different regions that has been going on. I'm surprised that there isn't more spill over into other sections of the forums. I'm sure valve are pretty happy to keep this open as long as there are no more threads in other sections of the forums about it.

I don't think Valve is happy about this thread. But it does keep the pricing posts contained in one easy to mod location. So Valve will tolerate it.

mouton
07-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I was in the Mass Effect portion of the forums, and saw a posting about the price difference. I was shocked to see the the mods hadn't closed it.
I suppose discussing the price of a specific game in its own forum is not against the rules.

Matt
07-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I was shocked to see the the mods hadn't closed it.

I'm willing to guess that the thread doesn't violate the rules. :)

marekfreak1
07-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Me too.

For me, the worst thing is not raising the prices itself (which is horrible though), but lack of communication in Valve's part. This seriously affected Valve's image, who they've been a few years ago.

There was a rumor floating around that EA bought out Valve. I reckon it really could be be just a rumor...but is it? Isn't this typical of an EA approach towards their customers?

Makes you wonder whats happening in Valve HQ. Either that or this entity representing Valve in Europe is well...a totally separate entity from HQ governed by ubertards. One can only guess the actual corporate structure of Valve and how far up and who was actually responsible for this decision to shiv the EU customer base up the chilli ring!

marekfreak1
07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Journalists become more and more like politics, and it unpleases me more and more each day.

OH you didn't know...the media bows to the highest bidder. It's simply good business.

MrAdz
07-14-2009, 03:06 AM
Ive always thought Steams prices could be quite high at times for a Digital Distribution.

Take Left4Dead for example.

Play : 24.99
Amazon(GOTY) : 24.99
Steam : 23.99

and in the Steam case you don't get the box, manuals, CD's ect, aswell as the fact that they don't need to actualy ship the game to you as you get it via DD, theres no CD printing, box printing, manual printing, transport costs, import costs, export costs, staff costs, warehouse costs ._.

and for relation lets take a non steam game, Street Fighter IV.

Play : 17.99
Amazon : 17.96
Steam : 29.99

Now I love Steam, I think the idea of it, the practical application and the work put into it have all been top notch, but when I'm paying more for a Digital Copy of a game than a DVD version with a Manual, DVD and extras something is very much a miss. I know Steam don't set all of their prices but this is still pretty stupid in this day and age and economy.

Cirap
07-14-2009, 03:08 AM
a new big price offender on Steam: Pro Cycling Manager
http://store.steampowered.com/app/11120/

This one isn't even happy with $1 = €1 it's even worse!

US $35.99
UK £25.99
EU €40.49 (or $56.62)

disgusting

edit: also just noted that most Valve games have correct pricing these days. that's good

briankearon666
07-14-2009, 04:41 AM
I'm willing to guess that the thread doesn't violate the rules. :)

I was wondering why all the other threads about price differences had been closed, while pointing those who opened the thread to this current thread. Yet the Mass Effect pricing thread hadn't been closed.

I'm sure that they didn't break the rules and that's probably why it hasn't been closed. But it doesn't explain why all the other threads were closed at the start. Is that thread the exception to the "rules"?

And why have we still not got any word from Valve on this ridiculous pricing structure/conversions?

-ReuF-
07-14-2009, 06:13 AM
And why have we still not got any word from Valve on this ridiculous pricing structure/conversions?

I expect we won't get any reaction, since this thread is running for 7 months already. As I stated before, Valve doesn't give a damn about our complaints. As long as there are Europeans willing to pay ridiculous prices, Valve will continue its selling strategy.

impar
07-14-2009, 06:17 AM
Greetings!

Page 400!
And that not counting the deleted posts.

When will Valve say anything about this?

MoI^
07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Let me just mention that retail prices all over Europe are much lower than this...thing in Steam store. It's pointless now, they don't even sell anything physical, so why the ♥♥♥♥ is it more expensive? Shouldn't it be the opposite like the whole idea of Steam suggested back in 2003?
Nop, I noticed, retail prices are 2x times bigger

icefiresr
07-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Nop, I noticed, retail prices are 2x times bigger

Not in Slovakia, where i live. The prices here are really 2 times lower and even with some action packs (like get 2 of the price of 1) and some deals like on Steam, it΄s really cheaper to buy for me at shops. I just miss the confortability to install the game without any physical media, but i bet i can live without that.

Sasquatchsliper
07-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Valve already said something about it :Since it is a new feature we will be working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what you would find at local retailers and online shop

Source : SteamUnPowered "Many of our user have been waiting for" (http://www.steamunpowered.eu/page.php?al=userwantedcurrencysys) (image link is dead, reupload it here (http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6838/valvepricing.png))

- - - - -

Ho and by the way, remember these *old* words from the Great Doug : with Steam there's no disc to burn, so you save that money. There's no box to make, so you save that money, and your shipping is done over the wire which is a lot cheaper than putting stuff on trucks. (Source (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/the-last-of-the-independents-))

cocodor
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Page 400 !
What, nothing new?! Oh i rego to sleep then...
No just kidding, when the prices are interesting Steam is awesome but, well, that's not often the case anymore.
My bank account and me still remember the months before last christmas ^^

supernaut
07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
My bank account and me still remember the months before last christmas ^^

Fond memories. Buying impulsively with my virtual credit card. Pre-purchases with discount, pre-loads, etc. Steam used to be exciting for me, now it's mainly a virtual shelf where I keep most of my games.

Sasquatchsliper
07-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Same for me, I bought like 80+ games with all the weekend deal, games packs, etc... since last christmas, I only bought Killing Floor. Steam golden age is over :|

Wulfklaue
07-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Fond memories. Buying impulsively with my virtual credit card. Pre-purchases with discount, pre-loads, etc. Steam used to be exciting for me, now it's mainly a virtual shelf where I keep most of my games.

*lol* So i'm not the only person who did that. Yea, these days Steam has left such a bad aftertaste in my mouth, that i don't even bother starting any games from it up anymore. :(

It actually feels dirty, playing games on Steam. Because every time you open the Steam Client, you see that front page, with all those nice :eek: EU prices. Or those "xxx new game" popups, with again, "fun" :mad: new prices. Or those silly promotions, that are not worth the name anymore.

Valve needs to get there act together in my honest opinion, and a) fix the prices!, b) fix the EULA, c) Start to communicate, d) learn to respect there customers e) Fix all the unpatched games, f) Fix the Steam Clients backups, etc ( and make it more user friendly ).

To be honest, point (f) does also add to the lack off playing a game. You got a list off maybe 50, 100 games, but they all look so generic...

[] Bumblebee's little adventure
[] FarCry2
[] Justice League

I know, i made some names up, but... It does not appeal to a list like that. Its missing the ability to show a large info ( in Steam! Not going external every time ). Or the ability to display the games as thumb pictures. Or something like that. It looks way to much like a freaking excel spreadsheet ;)

Simplex
07-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Alas. Monkey Island Special Edition is 27% higher on EU steam than in US (In GBP its "only" 15% higher). Avast, ye scurvy dogs! :mad:

saivert
07-15-2009, 01:47 PM
and to think that retail shops were ever afraid of digital distribution. haha. it's a joke. At least Eu retail shops can continue to sell games with no fear of Steam.
Maybe they should advertise this in their shops. "Don't worry about Steam prices, we got cheap games and you get the box too!"

Toto pectore
07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Game in a box! More stuff for better price.

impar
07-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Greetings!

To whomever still believes that its the publisher that sets the prices on Steam:
We caught up with Frozenbyte public relations manager Joel Kinnunen in an attempt to clear up some of this confusion.
Shack: In particular, the Steam version ended up being $10 more expensive than the PlayStation 3 version here in the US. Were you guys unhappy with that discrepancy?

Joel Kinnunen: It sucks, but in all honesty I don't lose too much sleep over the $20 price on PSN and the $30 price on Steam/online/retail. The game is worth the higher price too, in my opinion, and I think people will have an enjoyable experience--and you can play the demo and judge for yourself.

I'm a bit more irked by the 20 euro price on PSN (Europe) and the 30 euro price on Steam/online/retail (and even higher in retail in some countries/retailers). The currency rates are just mad right now, and I can sympathize with a lot of European gamers who are angry at this discrepancy. But it's more or less out of our hands because it's linked to the retail side of things. (http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1164)
Now, check the Steams page:
http://store.steamgames.com/app/35700/

Who is the publisher?

*VeLeRoN*
07-16-2009, 03:21 AM
Oh, Impar, read this, too:

Erm, you mean Nobilis as the publisher. Meridian4 was our publisher for the Shadowgrounds games.

And to put this issue to rest, Steam does not dictate the prices, at least where the big publishers are concerned. We are self-publishing on Steam but that doesn't mean we can just choose the prices however we want - the pricing of Trine everywhere is defined by our contract and agreements with our retail publisher. The European (euro) price is 29,95 euros and (in theory) you can't find the game cheaper anywhere in Europe. That's why it's like that on Steam too. The Britain price is what it is because there is yet another retail partner involved, and the same goes for the North American price, and they are both their own "markets" despite the business being quite international these days. It is rather unfortunate, and we'd love to have the game at an "equal" pricing level across all currencies but it isn't possible at this time. In the future we hope to be in a position where we can decide the prices on our own to a much better extent.

Yes, Joel Kinnunen (JoelFB) is active on this forum.

rypt
07-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Thing is though, if Valve let us use any store we want (be it UK, USA, EU) then local publishers would be a non-issue ...

impar
07-16-2009, 04:20 AM
Greetings!
Oh, Impar, read this, too:
Ah! A weak developer that was unable to negotiate a good deal with the publisher.

Wulfklaue
07-16-2009, 05:10 AM
It sucks, but in all honesty I don't lose too much sleep over the $20 price on PSN and the $30 price on Steam/online/retail. The game is worth the higher price too, in my opinion, and I think people will have an enjoyable experience--and you can play the demo and judge for yourself.

I'm a bit more irked by the 20 euro price on PSN (Europe) and the 30 euro price on Steam/online/retail (and even higher in retail in some countries/retailers). The currency rates are just mad right now, and I can sympathize with a lot of European gamers who are angry at this discrepancy. But it's more or less out of our hands because it's linked to the retail side of things.

Its a intresting commend. To be honest.

On the one side, he has no problem with a 10$ price difference between the PSN & the Steam/PC version. But, it irked him about the 10€ price difference between the PSN & Steam version in the EU... That to me is a bit a country productive statement.

It has been a rather standard that Console versions have always been more expensive then PC game's. Yet, he does not see a problem with the reverse now happening...

To me, to see a game at 20€ on a console, and 30€ on a PC platform is bad... Things like that will only result in more & more people abandoning the PC platform for gaming. Having a game on a console more expensive, has a reason ( the cheaper hardware is payed back with the higher game prices over time ). But seeing it the other way around ... Boggles the mind.

Interesting fact it seems, if we use the US PS3 price, and translate that to a PC version, that makes that the PC version in the EU needs to cost: 20$ / 1.4 = 14.3€ + 20% tax = 17.2€ - 10 a 15% price difference between console / pc games ) = 15€

So a normal price for Steam, needed to be 15€ for the game, based on the different currency, tax, and platform costs.

Aka, the price is only about 50% more ;)

Thing is though, if Valve let us use any store we want (be it UK, USA, EU) then local publishers would be a non-issue ...

Let me give you a nice off-topic example how some company's try to deal with competition.

My father wants to buy a wood burner ( heavy duty ). So he finds a good model, and informs at the regional seller. Price: 1550€ ( without tax ). About 1900€+ with tax, transport included.

But he wants to find a few more detailed specs. And he stumbles upon a big shop in Poland, with massive stocks. Price on the site: 850€ ( inc tax ). He looks up transport, yep. Transport to our country is listed. About 150€. Total: 1000€.

So he informs to buy it there ( you know, free trade in the EU ). And they tell him that they are sorry, but the manufacture requires them to redirect anybody from there site, to that same regional seller in my country ( the one asking 1900€ ) because he has a exclusive distribution contract for my country.

In other words, its listed as 850€, but when somebody tries to buy it, they are redirected ( at the very end off the shopping cart ) to the regional seller, and are suddenly asked to pay 1900€. That alone is false advertisement.

A mail gets send telling the big shop, that they are incorrect, and that by law, can not prevent the sale like that. That one mail sets a whole behavior in action between the Polish shop, the Manufacture, and the Regional seller.

At first they try to justify the higher price by claiming warranty ( interesting fact, you get the exact same warranty on the Polish site ), and for the price off that one regional version, you can buy two off the same product ( 50% difference ). When they figure out that the buyer actually knows more about warranty's, cost etc, and that he does not fall for there apathetic attempt at persuading him, communication turns rather one sided.

Interesting is it not. 50% price difference. So yea, we have already contacted the EU consumer commission, and they asked us for proof about all the prices, and conversations. We will see what comes from it.

The only difference being, that this case is a lot easy'er as all party's are in the EU, and they break several laws. They messed with the wrong customers. ;)

Its a nice example on how trying to limit the market, is bad for the consumer. Just like what Valve pulls with the UK Steam store, they try to prevent use from buying from the Polish shop.

Something tells me that this entire case is going to get a little pig tail, where the polish & regional sellers are going to end up paying a nice hefty fine, with there trying to prevent people from buying around the EU.

Rechar
07-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Unlike physical goods, digital goods allow for identical distribution to any location around the world for the same cost (Region-0 if you will). The argument of distribution costs and comparitive local market costs (which involve transport, printing et al) is futile.

Doing anything -but- charging the same price regardless of location is tantamount to race discrimination, as one of the definitions of race is your Geographical origin so it would be possible to claim Steam are discriminating against a certain group of customers and open them up to possible legal action under Human Rights Laws amongst others.

The EU has already slapped down Microsoft, lets have it do the same to Steam.