PDA

View Full Version : Looks like $1 = €1 after all

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

bioanalysis
10-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah, that is why all the threads like "Steam account hacked, need help!" and "HELP! CANT LOG IN NO MORE!" pop up every day.
Steam does its job when it comes to stuff like this, but not more.

By the way. I have yet to see a "bad" hacker. They are called crackers. A hacker is one of those guys who run the internet and program your software. A cracker is the a-hole who brakes into your account and steals your credit card info.

yep its brutey.... happened to me once too... and it all started when i joined some stupid clan.. and registered to thier website.. i even used a fake user and password lik 12345 bla bla.. but i think their site had some type of undetectable keylogger... but once they know your id, there is danger

Dark Zero
10-31-2009, 11:53 PM
yep its brutey.... happened to me once too... and it all started when i joined some stupid clan.. and registered to thier website.. i even used a fake user and password lik 12345 bla bla.. but i think their site had some type of undetectable keylogger... but once they know your id, there is danger

If you think there's a keylogger on your computer and your AV doesn't detect anything, look for keyboard input delays. If your keyboard takes like half a second to register, check your modem when you type. If the activity light flashes every key press, you're being keylogged. Don't mix it up with your RAM is being horrendously overused though. That causes lag too ;)

Also for the love of whoever your god is, use a GOOD antivirus! AVG free, any McAfee or Norton AV and you're asking for problems. Get one that monitors internet traffic. If it has an integrated firewall, and something wants internet access, it's going to ask you if this should be allowed the first time it runs. If you did not start and/or install the program that's asking permission, then say no, scan your computer using the deepest settings and hopefully it will detect and delete said software. If it detects nothing, then use a trial on another AV and see if that scanner can do the job.

w.a.r.
11-01-2009, 05:16 AM
my non trolling personal opinion is that id rather download a harrr version of a product i want to play than getting ♥♥♥♥♥ by a price which was converted from US dollars to euros by 1 to 1 quota . i pretty much feel treated like a fool from valves/steam/whoevers side . and i will NEVER pay you 49€ for a 49$ product. get serious, steam .

Sheytan
11-01-2009, 05:35 AM
I would buy tons of games on steam but older games are like 50-100%+ more expensive and new (release date) games 20-33% more expensive compared to my favorite Swedish retail store Webhallen

I consider older games 4-6 months after release date.

pulsar85
11-01-2009, 06:28 AM
haha even with the weekend "deal" on CoD4 40% off, the game is still more expensive than retail in sweden :D

Shadowhunte
11-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Valve went from the best company in the world to the 2nd worst, only beaten by EA, on my list of great companies thanks to this price thing. It's such a ridiculous rip off.

Svein_Skogen
11-02-2009, 05:21 AM
They aren't "that bad" yet in my book. Sony still has them beat. Valve has a long way to go before I consider them as bad as a company that knowingly installed rootkit trojans on pc's.

//Svein

mouton
11-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Yeah, despite all this stuff, Valve isn't really evil. But it sure does have schizophrenia.

MortalC
11-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Valve is dropping like a rock on my list, only company dropping more is Activison. EA on the other side is actually becoming a quit good company lately…

madhias
11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
:confused:

In Austria (and Germany) all new games are about 49€. Some Games have a special price (39€ - Anno 1404 - or about 45€).

Some of my collegues at work ordered months ago games from Amazon Great Britain, which where really cheap compared to our prices here.

But for me the Steam prices are the same like in stores here. GTA IV is now in stores 49€, Fallout 3 49€, Wolfenstein 59€, Batman 49€. At Steam exactly the same.

Gaesadair
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I was going to pre-order Dragon Age Origins: Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam until I saw the price. I've gone to an alternate pre-order source, because this price policy is just so silly... at least for me, living in Norway.

If Valve does not address this I think they will continue losing sales. Sure some people from some countries (that have high game retail prices) will keep buying through Steam, but people from many others will migrate away from it. I do not understand why the price has to be so much higher on Steam than through retailers (or other online vendors), or why the prices have to be so much higher in Europe than they are in America.

I'd like to continue to purchase through Steam. I like it, despite the added time to launch games when not already logged in to Steam. But I won't do so as long as this silly price policy continues. Yes, I'm just one lost customer; but lost customers add up.

Simplex
11-03-2009, 12:05 AM
But for me the Steam prices are the same like in stores here. GTA IV is now in stores 49€, Fallout 3 49€, Wolfenstein 59€, Batman 49€. At Steam exactly the same.

You choose to buy in the most expensive stores possible. Not everybody does that.

interferences
11-03-2009, 12:58 AM
I just feel cheated, that's about it. I drastically reduced my Steam purchases a while ago after they forced me to purchase my stuff in Euros rather than USD (we don't even have the Euro here). With the current exchange rates, I've been paying 50% more than the prices in USD. With me not buying the stuff, that's money lost, not earned.

And it appears to me that prices are really getting out of hand. Wolfenstein for 60 Euros, for example. I checked on Amazon, where it goes for HALF the price. I love Steam as a platform, but I feel just ripped off. Paying top dollar for electronic distribution, no manual, no opportunity to sell the game again, but higher prizes. Don't get me wrong: I don't want a physical medium, I like the download, but hey: this is just greedy. And the "publishers" argument doesn't count at all - L4D2, although being a Valve game, costs 50% more in Europe if purchased via Steam.

I've been looking around for alternatives, and they are available. My latest comparison was Operation Flashponit for 40 USD (other) vs 50 Euros (Steam). Ridiculous.

There's just one way to get to our rights - not purchasing on this platform anymore. It sucks, because I'm used to Steam, and I like having all my games at one place, but then, there's no other way to change things, is there? Goodbye for now, Steam.

Swedish Warrior
11-03-2009, 01:48 AM
When I bought TF2, I payed in $. Why do you force me to pay in €? I don't want to pay in €, I want to pay in $! Sweden doesn't even have €.

impar
11-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Greetings!
When I bought TF2, I payed in $. Why do you force me to pay in €? I don't want to pay in €, I want to pay in $! Sweden doesn't even have €.
Game developers/publishers seem to look at european gamers as cash cows who serve to subsidize US and UK gamers:
http://www.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115201
If you live in Europe, not only are you are paying a fair price but you are doing more than anyone else to help us support Shattered Horizon with extra content, for free, after launch and for that, we thank you. In North America and the UK, gamers pay less but we as developers see less benefit too and will have to sell more copies to ensure free post-launch content for everyone.

Because, as you probably know, US and UK are under some sort of financial crisis that we, in continental Europe, are immune to. :rolleyes:

mchufnagel
11-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Greetings!

Game developers/publishers seem to look at european gamers as cash cows who serve to subsidize US and UK gamers:

Because, as you probably know, US and UK are under some sort of financial crisis that we, in continental Europe, are immune to. :rolleyes:

Do you actually believe this? I don't. I feel it's just an excuse to justify these price differences. If they sold games in Europe for the same price they're sold for in the US and UK, then they would sell even more games for that DLC. That statement was total BS.

Bloodzone
11-03-2009, 05:21 AM
A nation gets the leader he deserves, and the same goes for the market.

Weve shown Valve they can screw us over, so why should they stop ?

Im still holding on to my, FU GTFO motto though.

-ReuF-
11-03-2009, 07:41 AM
There's just one way to get to our rights - not purchasing on this platform anymore.

That's exactly what i did: Since Steam introduced the euro I have bought only ONE game through Steam. That was a weekend deal which turned out not to be such a good deal at all (retail price was still lower).

The dollar is still losing its value on the market (€1 = $1.47 as I write this) so the price comparison gets more and more ridiculous every day.

From Steam's point of view I can understand that they continue their €1=$1 policy as long as 'we' stupid Europeans are willing to pay their ridiculous prices.

madhias
11-03-2009, 10:32 AM
You choose to buy in the most expensive stores possible. Not everybody does that.

:o Simply not true, look at www.geizhals.at It's a list of hardware, software stores in austria and europe. Look for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, or all other new games or you can see there for example, that the english version of Wolfenstein costs 49€ (with ordering at an online shope without postal, so it's same price like in stores 59€).

Prices at all stores (includes the closed best gamestore "Softwaredschungel") - Saturn, Media Markt, various computer stores have the same price here - and that is 49€. Anno 1404 was an exception, which i bought for about 35€.

nautsch
11-03-2009, 10:44 AM
:o Simply not true, look at www.geizhals.at

http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=swgego&asuch=call%20of%20duty

hmm. I see CoD 4 Modern Warfare 2 from 33 Euros + about 5 shipping.

Wolfenstein in english from 20 Euros shipping inclusive

I don't know what you are seeing, but I don't think you are seeing right.

harlequ1n
11-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I just bought Trine on Direct2Drive as they offer prices in dollars. It's a shame as I used to buy all my games on Steam when they weren't ripping Europe off. I saved 6€ which is obviously little money, but I will also be purchasing Dragon Age Origins for US$ 50 = 34€, now that's what the market is all about. They've lost a customer.

Simplex
11-04-2009, 02:11 AM
I just bought Trine on Direct2Drive as they offer prices in dollars.
They do, but in my case (Poland) they add 22% VAT to the price which makes it much less attractive offer. GoG and Impulse do not do that (curiously, impulse started displaying prices in local currency only, but after community uproad they enabled ability to see prices in $ - watch, and learn, Steam!).
When you switch to Direct2Drive UK the prices are in GBP, they are slightly higher than prices in $ but since the 22% vat is not added, they end up cheaper than (US price + VAT) anyway.

As for CoD MW2 - look at play.com or game.co.uk - 35GPB (39€) and free delivery.

Gunslinger42
11-04-2009, 05:36 AM
As a British Steam user I can't complain about the prices. Woo for Britain not adopting the Euro I guess.

but I'd not be buying a god damn thing from them if I was in another European country

macrossru
11-04-2009, 05:48 AM
What I dont understand is why when I lived in Switzerland, the prices were in euro and now that I moved back to Russia the prices are back to USD. I am not complaining that I am paying "normal" prices but it seems weird to put all of Europe under Euro and not Russia. What ticked me off before is why it wasnt 1USD=1CHF. I would have been paying less then.

darkbatman
11-04-2009, 06:07 AM
mmmm something its no right lest check:

in play.com whit free delivery:
Risen 32.49€
Steam :
Risen 49,99€

Borderlands 32.49€
Steam :
Borderlands 49,99€

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, 23.49€

Steam :
Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising 48,99€

Red Faction: Guerrilla 23.49€

Steam :
Red Faction: Guerrilla 49,99€

Dragon Age: Origins 35.49€

Steam :
Dragon Age: Origins 49,99€

let me think Where are go to get the games :rolleyes: , dunno if its steam the publisher but something have to change.

madhias
11-04-2009, 10:23 AM
http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=swgego&asuch=call%20of%20duty (http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=swgego&asuch=call%20of%20duty)

hmm. I see CoD 4 Modern Warfare 2 from 33 Euros + about 5 shipping.

You look in geizhals.at for EU. I wrote about prices in Austria. 33 Euros is from England, and there is shipping not 5€, but from 5€, much more - last time i payed 15€. There is only one shop in Germany for 34€, where postal is 9€. The next one is 37€, but more shipping! Look exactly, not tell me just the lowest price on the list...

Zodiac+
11-04-2009, 11:04 AM
it seems weird to put all of Europe under Euro and not Russia.

Russia's currency (Rubles) is worthless compared to the ฃ € $, hence you pay in dollars.

BTW, CODMW2 is only ฃ31.99 (plus free shipping) at a well known UK site.

macrossru
11-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Russia's currency (Rubles) is worthless compared to the ฃ € $, hence you pay in dollars.

Maybe next time you actually read the whole post. Why in Switzerland the prices are in Euro and not Swiss Frank.

Simplex
11-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Maybe next time you actually read the whole post. Why in Switzerland the prices are in Euro and not Swiss Frank.

The same reason there are dollars in russia instead of roubles and euro in poland instead of polish zloty - i.e. it makes no bloody sense.

You look in geizhals.at for EU. I wrote about prices in Austria. 33 Euros is from England, and there is shipping not 5€, but from 5€, much more - last time i payed 15€. There is only one shop in Germany for 34€, where postal is 9€. The next one is 37€, but more shipping! Look exactly, not tell me just the lowest price on the list...

It's time you learned the horrible truth - there are game shops in UK that offer games at low prices and ship to EU (including Austria) FOR FREE or for very little money.
See here:
http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Help.html?page=del - FREE delivery to Austria. I repeat. FREE delivery to Austria.
http://www.thehut.com/orders.info?q=orders1&queryType=1 - 99p (1,1€) shipping (to Austria).
http://www.game.co.uk/Help/~h9845/Despatch/Postage/ - 3GBP (3,3€), shipping to Austria.

In each case the game costs 35gbp which is 39€. If you choose to buy in expensive stores that charge a lot for shipping then it's your problem.

impar
11-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Greetings!
You look in geizhals.at for EU. I wrote about prices in Austria. 33 Euros is from England, ...
Ordering online from UK is the same thing as ordering online from one of yours national stores. You are a citizen of the EU.
It only takes a couple days longer to get the product, but you save from 10€ to 20€.

nautsch
11-05-2009, 08:31 AM

I did look "exactly". The 5€ is for shipping to you in Austria. As it is for me to Germany.

I think you should look further abroad for your games. Sometimes shipping is less than it would be from Austria to Austria. Sometimes its free. See play.com.

Games are not cheap in germany or austria. Games are cheap on the game market (at least cheaper than steam). The game market we live in is europe not austria or germany. The last game i bought from germany was ... I can't even remember. I buy from elsewhere. It's cheaper, original language and uncut.

ReBoot
11-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I just had a look at some of the articles. And it really looks like the guys at Valve don't really care. I'd like to see a clear promise to sort things out. I've written an e-mail to Gabe explaining the issue and suggesting a solution to make everyone happy but nothing happened. It really seems like they just don't care.

*VeLeRoN*
11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
This statement does not many any sense whatsoever.

Just read it again.

Russia's currency (Rubles) is worthless compared to the ฃ € $ hence you pay in dollars.

mchufnagel
11-05-2009, 12:19 PM
I just had a look at some of the articles. And it really looks like the guys at Valve don't really care. I'd like to see a clear promise to sort things out. I've written an e-mail to Gabe explaining the issue and suggesting a solution to make everyone happy but nothing happened. It really seems like they just don't care.

Well of course they don't. Just look at L4D2. They have total control over that and it still has "screw the EU" pricing.

brotrrwinner
11-07-2009, 03:32 PM
God bless UK stores. That's all I have to say :)

mouton
11-08-2009, 03:12 AM
God bless UK stores. That's all I have to say :)
Yup, my copy of Dragon's Age will arrive from UK very soonish. For almost half the price on Steam, lol

madhias
11-08-2009, 06:24 AM
It's time you learned the horrible truth - there are game shops in UK that offer games at low prices and ship to EU (including Austria) FOR FREE or for very little money.
See here:
http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Help.html?page=del - FREE delivery to Austria. I repeat. FREE delivery to Austria.
http://www.thehut.com/orders.info?q=orders1&queryType=1 - 99p (1,1€) shipping (to Austria).
http://www.game.co.uk/Help/~h9845/Despatch/Postage/ - 3GBP (3,3€), shipping to Austria.
In each case the game costs 35gbp which is 39€. If you choose to buy in expensive stores that charge a lot for shipping then it's your problem.

OK, OK. That's 10€ cheaper. Cool. I buy about two games a year. Sometimes i'm rich :)

epsylon_Z1
11-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Steam vs. GamersGate

Cryostasis €20.99 vs €9.95
NecroVision €20.99 vs €9.95

sneakbyte
11-08-2009, 11:15 PM
guys in europe import from uk Stores you are a EU Citizen and UK is part of the EU most shops ship and accept your euro currency at uk exchange rate (Which is quite good). Your girls are better in europe Valve is jelous LoL

UserU
11-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Close to a year, and there are already 453 pages. Yet, there has been no solution to the problem stated.

interferences
11-09-2009, 02:09 AM
Close to a year, and there are already 453 pages. Yet, there has been no solution to the problem stated.

...and there won't be a solution coming from Valve unless they are being forced. As long as we (cursingly) purchase overprized software, nothing will change. There's only one kind of pressure that works - using alternative stores that offer fair prices. It sucks, but I guess we don't have a choice.

Edit: Just made my first alternative purchase. The Swiss Digitec store offers the uncut COD MW2 for 66 CHF including free delivery (rather than the 90+ CHF you pay through steam). Ridiculous.

UserU
11-09-2009, 03:56 AM
There's only one kind of pressure that works - using alternative stores that offer fair prices. It sucks, but I guess we don't have a choice.

That only applies to the European region and maybe a few others. However, Steam prices do not affect the other continents. Besides, the sum of gross sales from the continents stated are higher than of European continent itself.

But anyway, I do hope Valve will at least respect their customers' rights.

nautsch
11-09-2009, 02:24 PM
There's only one kind of pressure that works - using alternative stores that offer fair prices. It sucks, but I guess we don't have a choice.

The problem with this kind of pressure is, that it is only effective, if a reasonable amount of people do it. As far as I can see, the amount of people is far from reasonable.

Edit: Just made my first alternative purchase. The Swiss Digitec store offers the uncut COD MW2 for 66 CHF including free delivery (rather than the 90+ CHF you pay through steam). Ridiculous.

Good for you! (really) I bought a few games meanwhile and activated one on Steam, too. But for half the price and uncut. I am still not buying games from Steam.

Zeppelid
11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey ppl,
you know that you can "import" steamgames from the UK steamstore http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk, if you change your country to uk during checkout. So it is possible for example to get l4d2 uncut in Germany for a fair price.

Nekomancer
11-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country. Please contact support for assistance or use a payment method registered to your current address.

No, that doesn't work. If it would be that easy, i'd buy more often on Steam. So i buy my games elsewhere and get them for a lot less money (saved over 10€ on Batman alone and there was no preorder bonus) and have a retail copy with printed manual and a DVD.

Zeppelid
11-09-2009, 04:23 PM
No, that doesn't work. If it would be that easy, i'd buy more often on Steam.

I purchased l4d2 fourpack that way. It looks like it is EU only. http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1329/steam1.png
From where are you?

PS: Ppl from the ROW grp have confirmed it.

interferences
11-10-2009, 01:17 AM
I purchased l4d2 fourpack that way. It looks like it is EU only. http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1329/steam1.png
From where are you?

Also doesn't work in Switzerland (which isn't EU, but has to pay in Euros anyway). Tried this in order to switch to USD a while a go and got the same error as the above poster. Good on you, but Valve might not like it ;)

Simplex
11-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Not only it does not work, but it also is illegal. If you're caught, your steam account may be blocked.
A more "legal" (or rather "gray") method is to have someone from UK/US gift you the game. However, when I wrote about this method on Trine forum the post was deleted.

mchufnagel
11-11-2009, 05:38 AM
Not only it does not work, but it also is illegal. If you're caught, your steam account may be blocked.
A more "legal" (or rather "gray") method is to have someone from UK/US gift you the game. However, when I wrote about this method on Trine forum the post was deleted.

It may be against the TOS, but that isn't illegal. I would say that preventing people living in the EU from purchasing from a UK store is the "gray area".

nautsch
11-11-2009, 09:14 AM
I would say that preventing people living in the EU from purchasing from a UK store is the "gray area".

Nothing gray there in my eyes. Deep black. If I remember the answer from the EU correctly, they said that the EU "law" is passed and we have to wait for the individual countries to implement it. After that Steam/Valve has to try (if anyone sues) the current model in front of a court.

If an attorney gets to know about a thing, that is or might be illegal, he or she is bound (AFAIK) to investigate. In this case this is exactly what should happen.

keep in mind IANAL and this is just the way I understand it.

Simplex
11-12-2009, 03:04 AM
When I wrote "illegal" I meant "illegal according to steam".

Sheytan
11-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Modern Warfare cost 59.99€ (89.24US$) on steam, in retail stores in Sweden the game cost 65US$ tax included

Steam ****** ignore the exchange rate between € and US$ :(

Sheytan
11-12-2009, 08:15 AM

I think it's legal to block the account but they have to refund all the money for the games you have bought, if you can't have any access to them

At least in countries where the consumers have rights like EU :D

impar
11-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Greetings!
Modern Warfare cost 59.99€ (89.24US$) on steam, in retail stores in Sweden the game cost 65US$ tax included

Order from UK stores, it can be had less than 35€.

Sheytan
11-12-2009, 01:00 PM

The game is even cheaper then 65US$ my local game store sell the game for 58US$

Sheytan
11-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Greetings!

Order from UK stores, it can be had less than 35€.

Wouldn't that get me banned?

mouton
11-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Wouldn't that get me banned?
I think he meant retail UK stores, whcih have really nice prices and very low shipping fees. This won't get you banned, no :D

impar
11-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Greetings!
I think he meant retail UK stores, whcih have really nice prices and very low shipping fees. This won't get you banned, no :D
Yep.
No surprise UK gets a lot of attention from game publishers, most of the gamers I know (non-UKers) order from those UK stores. Its an inflated market, with lots of competition.

hvkasteren
11-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Lego Star Wars finally on Steam! Too bad about the price. Another definite sale lost.

19snc89
11-13-2009, 12:22 PM
i bought the complete valve pack some weeks ago (my first purchase on steam) and paid 89,99€...

price in DE steam - 89,99€
price in PL steam - 69,99€
price in US steam - 66,90€
price in UK steam - 58,74€

this are ♥♥♥♥ing 30€ difference

thats not fair! and obv my last purchase on this site!

////////
and why is my steam software showin me the 89,99€ price right now while the steam

Xamataca
11-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Dragon Age arrived today from amazon uk:
The game boxed: 25,21 pounds
Shipping to Spain: 7,49 pounds
Total: 32,7 pounds (16% vat included) = 36.62 €

Thanks Steam, your 49,99 € price on this game is a proof that your business model is, somewhat, a failure.

Lets guess where I'll buy Mass Effect 2...

benbenky
11-13-2009, 01:00 PM
at steam-
COD MW2:
UK: 39.99 pound
EURO ZONE: 59.99€

Price in Euro is 33% (YES its 1/3) more expensive than in UK!!! (at euro to pound exchange rate 1.12) Its disgrace!
As a customer I am entitled to VAT receipt. I did not get it.
I have purchased DIRT. The game do not start, no response form steam support!!! Its disgrace steam!!!
I will complain to EU consumer protection agency about that issue. I dont care if the game does not load, I want my VAT receipt!!

mouton
11-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Dragon Age arrived today from amazon uk:
The game boxed: 25,21 pounds
Shipping to Spain: 7,49 pounds
Total: 32,7 pounds (16% vat included) = 36.62 €

And amazon.co.uk isn't even such a great place!

I paid 25 pounds for the game and 3 pounds for delivery at Game.co.uk.

Both waaay better then Steam, though.

Teraku
11-13-2009, 02:58 PM
What's weird is that my neighbours paid €32,19 for l4d2, and I compared my store page screen in my steam client and theirs, and theirs still costs €32,19 and mine costs €44,99. I feel ripped off.

brotrrwinner
11-13-2009, 06:43 PM
That's because you WERE ripped off

Simplex
11-14-2009, 12:57 AM
There's a simple way to check if you were ripped off. If you live in continental Europe and you bought something on steam, then with 99% probability you were ripped off ;)

For example there's a great deal on Overlord pack - only it's 50% more expensive in euro than in dollars.

Xamataca
11-14-2009, 12:57 AM
And amazon.co.uk isn't even such a great place!

I paid 25 pounds for the game and 3 pounds for delivery at Game.co.uk.

Both waaay better then Steam, though.

Didn't search for better deals because I'm used to buy at amazon.co.uk (I always get some music and books too whenever I buy at amazon), but I'll see game.co.uk for the next game... thx :D

mouton
11-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Didn't search for better deals because I'm used to buy at amazon.co.uk (I always get some music and books too whenever I buy at amazon), but I'll see game.co.uk for the next game... thx :D
I don't say it is the best one, either, just the one I used recently. But it sure worked. There are many of them, among the gameplay.co.uk and play.com and others. People in this thread probably know all of them, oh yes they do.

Woutsie
11-14-2009, 06:25 AM
i live in belgium and all prices are in dollar again...

mouton
11-14-2009, 06:26 AM
i live in belgium and all prices are in dollar again...
That's probably a temporary steam store error or an error in your client, it has happened before.

Woutsie
11-14-2009, 06:45 AM
That's probably a temporary steam store error or an error in your client, it has happened before.

Probably, since I can't buy anything anymore...

kokodiks
11-15-2009, 03:12 AM
well, i certainly won't buy any game soon on steam with this new price policy.

F3nya
11-15-2009, 03:55 AM
well, i certainly won't buy any game soon on steam with this new price policy.

It's anything but new.

Loffern
11-15-2009, 09:12 AM
As you may not know, Norway isn't part of EU. Were just located in Europe :cool:. So why we have to pay in Euro, wich is EU's currency I just don't get :confused: But nuf' about that.

Now a days its more cheap to get the game in the store than on Steam. I hope Steam looks into it real soon.

SpASpikespiegel
11-15-2009, 09:14 AM
As you may not know, Norway isn't part of EU. Were just located in Europe :cool:. So why we have to pay in Euro, wich is EU's currency I just don't get :confused: But nuf' about that. Not only that. You are also charged VAT, although Norway doesn't collect VAT on downloadable games.

Zefar
11-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Not only that. You are also charged VAT, although Norway doesn't collect VAT on downloadable games.

The VAT tax is included in the price when you buy the game over steam.

klaymen_sk
11-15-2009, 09:48 AM
The VAT tax is included in the price when you buy the game over steam.

Of course it is included, but shouldn't you have the game cheaper, if your country doesn't collect VAT? Common sense says that it SHOULD be cheaper.

So where the money charged as VAT (included in the price) go? Oh wait....

flaegz0r
11-15-2009, 10:25 AM
It was better to buy Steam games when it was dollars.

onico
11-15-2009, 10:51 AM
i know currencies fluctuate, but what bothers me most now is the fact that local stores selling Boxes containg meaningless manuals, CDดs and paying all the middlehands offers LOWER prices for L4D2 than steam does digital online.
something is clearly out of balance here.

interferences
11-16-2009, 03:03 AM
In the end, other businesses will step in and render Steam obsolete, because players won't return to it anymore: Trust lost is *very* hard to regain. I just hope this will happen soon - I really hate juggling with DVDs, even if it means that I pay 30% less (my new COD) and that I can give the game away once I get tired of it.

some2one
11-16-2009, 03:18 AM
Any business that wants a decent number of publisher's titles on their platform will follow a similar course to steam.

Gioker
11-16-2009, 05:34 AM
in all UE countries which have euro mw2 costs 60euro.. in poland it costs 120pln (~30euro) :D that's reason why euro sux :)

briankearon666
11-16-2009, 05:51 AM
in all EU countries which have euro mw2 costs 60euro.. in poland it costs 120pln (~30euro) :D that's reason why euro sux :)

That's funny, because i just bought the game for €40 yesterday here in Ireland. And i could've gotten it cheaper had i shopped around.

The fact that you got it in your local retailer for the equivelant of €30 just shows how ridiculous the pricing on Steam is and not "why euro sux". If Steam were to price the games realistically, competitively and sensibly then this whole thread would never have existed. Most likely.

klaymen_sk
11-16-2009, 05:53 AM
in all UE countries which have euro mw2 costs 60euro.. in poland it costs 120pln (~30euro) :D that's reason why euro sux :)

MW2 for ~40€ from Slovakia says hello to you :D
And we have euro :P

epsylon_Z1
11-16-2009, 06:15 AM
MW2 for ~40€ from Slovakia says hello to you :D
And we have euro :Psame in here (Hungary)

Gioker
11-16-2009, 06:49 AM
That's funny, because i just bought the game for €40 yesterday here in Ireland. And i could've gotten it cheaper had i shopped around.

The fact that you got it in your local retailer for the equivelant of €30 just shows how ridiculous the pricing on Steam is and not "why euro sux". If Steam were to price the games realistically, competitively and sensibly then this whole thread would never have existed. Most likely.

No man... If you confront how much polish and ue ppl earn then you will know why price in poland is lower... in germany you earn 2000euro.. and for that same job in poland you earn 2000pln (1euro=4pln)... that's the reason :(

briankearon666
11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
No man... If you confront how much polish and ue ppl earn then you will know why price in poland is lower... in germany you earn 2000euro.. and for that same job in poland you earn 2000pln (1euro=4pln)... that's the reason :(

Well, if that's the case then, why aren't you paying 40 pln for your games. Sounds like you are being ripped off then. /sarcasm.
Since games in the EU are €40, why aren't you paying 40 pln? Because you haven't got a clue what you are taking about. By your reasoning, you should be paying effectively €10 for MW2.

I think that you are missing the point on this completely.
On STEAM, MW2 is €60. Almost everywhere else, the game is €40(+/- €5) in retail/online (except steam). The Euro isn't the problem here, it's the pricing on Steam that is the problem. The Euro prices are inflated and are set by whoever sets them with completely ignoring both local prices as well as currency conversion rates.

Oh and it's the EU not the UE. Welcome aboard

El Pollo Diablo
11-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Oh and it's the EU not the UE. Welcome aboard

sigh... in latin languages, it's UE, not EU.

Simplex
11-17-2009, 12:44 AM
We communicate in English here, so European Union is EU, period. UN in polish is ONZ, but that does not mean I should use it when speaking in English because noone would understand me then.

interferences
11-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Just received my MW2 DVD via mail. Nice thing: You can just activate the product via Steam and then download it. No need to fumble with DVDs at all. And this for 60% of the price, and I got a (completely useless) manual ^^

-ReuF-
11-17-2009, 05:28 AM
Just received my MW2 DVD via mail. Nice thing: You can just activate the product via Steam and then download it. No need to fumble with DVDs at all. And this for 60% of the price, and I got a (completely useless) manual ^^

They should have sent you an envelope with the key only. That would've been enough... :cool:

El Pollo Diablo
11-17-2009, 05:40 AM
We communicate in English here, so European Union is EU, period. UN in polish is ONZ, but that does not mean I should use it when speaking in English because noone would understand me then.

oh. i admire your english skills! NOT!

maybe not everybody had the luck to learn proper english.

not only you benefit from the third-world bonus steam pricing in poland, you even need to complain about others? oooh... being in the EU/UE really helped your self-confidence, didn't it?

you really are a very poor human being.

marekfreak1
11-17-2009, 08:06 AM

not only you benefit from the third-world bonus steam pricing in poland, you even need to complain about others? oooh... being in the EU/UE really helped your self-confidence, didn't it?

..back back back.

You don't like it? Post in the Latin Republic UE forums instead. Better yet log a complaint with the IAFDB bureau.

If you're Polish and get better prices on Steam than your next door neighbours....then I hate you too, with love.

interferences
11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
They should have sent you an envelope with the key only. That would've been enough... :cool:

Actually, they should have sent me the key via email ^^

I guess that justifies the 20 extra Euros - that you have to activate the game manually, while directly purchasing via Steam saves you the step.

mouton
11-17-2009, 12:28 PM
If you're Polish and get better prices on Steam than your next door neighbours....then I hate you too, with love.
I am Polish and note that:
- tiered prices are for Valve games mostly (only?)
- the "3rd world country" prices are STILL insane, considering that the salaries are, what, 5 times lower here?
- UK retail stores STILL have lower prices for Tier 2/3 countries (checked L4D2)

I admit that in Poland we have more opportunities to buy games cheap but I like Valve, I like Steam, I wish I could use it/support them/give them my money. I don't even want prices too low, just not this "200%-300% of the retail price"/"50 euro price after two years" insanity.

El Pollo Diablo
11-17-2009, 02:34 PM
..back back back.

You don't like it? Post in the Latin Republic UE forums instead. Better yet log a complaint with the IAFDB bureau.

pls don't take this personally, but the ignorance of being member of the EU/UE towards other countries who might not yet have an education level like poland, is just pure idiocy.

so... feel free to think whatever you want. but i will not tolerate any stupid comments from wanna-be EU-members stating engtlish was THE language of the EU/UE (it might be on this forum, but hey... he WAS trying to). it is not. and making fun of them is even worse.

"we are communicating in english here" is... well... just stupid! you don't agree? i couldn't care less. being member of the EU/UE does NOT entitle any member to judge about others. that's what the EU/UE stands for, but apparently, some of their members didn't get it yet. poor ppl.

if it WAS, i could say: hey polish, you're not REAL members of the EU, you're just tolerated.... that would be as stupid as the post i replied to.

but this thread was about €uros vs. $, so enjoy your advantage.

marekfreak1
11-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Oh I see...when I read what he posted I understood something entirely different. Maybe I should read a few posts back. I'm not entirely sure what was going on prior to his post.

My bad. Anyway, I have to deal with acronyms on a daily basis. Acronyms are best left in the English equivalents though, based on my experience at least :-D

..but I still envy the Poles...I don't know how they managed it, but they are getting some sweet prices on old/new games, 'Specially AAA titles.

I think I should just invade Poland for a weekend or something...get myself some cheap games and a sweet village lady friend while I'm at it.

Simplex
11-18-2009, 01:00 AM
It's not all so great - games are cheaper in Poland but it usually means that the game is localized in Polish so those who do not know polish would not benefit from getting it cheaper hear. There are exceptions - retail Borderlands costs about 20€ and is fully in English (except box and manual).
On the other hand, average pay here is about 500€ so there's really not much to envy.

What exactly are you trolling/flaming about? We communicate in English on this forum so if you use non-English acronyms then you may be misunderstood. I got all this bile for pointing it out?
Perhaps you had a bad day, or you confused me with user "briankearon666" but your response is really aggressive and rude and I cannot fathom what in my post provoked you to reply in such manner.

1ronjaw
11-18-2009, 01:47 AM
At the end of the day and after all the dust has settled, we have been thrown over a barrel and royally shafted, and for the foreseeable future there is no way out, no alternatives. they make the rules they make the prices they are turning what was once free range pc gaming into controlled consol gaming and we are having to pay for the privalage, i dont like being controlled by steam and as for the last fiasco with CODMW2 well least said same old hackers, no favourite servers hate it.They should of stayed well away from steam.

Vir
11-18-2009, 07:38 AM
The dollar is in a free fall and its REALLY unfair for us EU folks to have $1 = €1

Sasquatchsliper
11-18-2009, 08:09 AM
I knew it, the 1 dollar = 1 euro thing divided the Steam community into 2 army, europeans and americans... this is sad.

we're all supposed to be gamers, fighting about which games or platform is the best, not about our nationalities.

Steam failed on that one. :(

klaymen_sk
11-18-2009, 08:44 AM
I knew it, the 1 dollar = 1 euro thing divided the Steam community into 2 army, europeans and trolling americans... this is sad.

Fixed.
I have nothing against non-trolling americans.

Zodiac+
11-18-2009, 11:39 AM
I knew it, the 1 dollar = 1 euro thing divided the Steam community into 2 army, europeans and americans

Actually its split more like a 1/3, Europeans, Americans & British ;)

RedKage
11-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Okay guys, I just bought L4D2 on play.com instead of the steam store.
Oh, you're wondering why ? (sarcasm)
Well that's easy:

Steam USA -> $49.99
Steam EU -> 49.99€
Play.com -> 35.49€ + Free Shipping + DVD box and stuffs

What the price should have been:
$49.99 = 33.4315€ (1 USD = 0.668763 EUR)

To Valve:
I like your games but not your prices. You became greedy so am I.
See, If you guys had applied a real rate conversion, I would have bought L4D2 on the steam store.
But you didn't.
Thus I'm not gonna buy anything on the store for a d4mn while.
Hope you understand.

onico
11-18-2009, 02:28 PM
yeah im thinking about wasting some gas driving into town tomorrow to get L4D2, to save around 16$, drive back home, activating the serial.nr in steam and download it anyway while putting the plastic r๖vbajs in the trashcan.

if steam would put the price to buy keys online the same or less than what the physical stores offers, then we would be bombing oil rich countries for astronomical national debts for no reason.

steam simply dont want you to buy online anymore, they are already rich and dont care.

thod
11-18-2009, 05:03 PM
This thread really opened my eyes to Valves prices (and other 3rd party games makers) greed and I will now only buy retail utnil the prices in steam becomes competative.

Simplex
11-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Okay guys, I just bought L4D2 on play.com instead of the steam store.
Oh, you're wondering why ? (sarcasm)
Well that's easy:
Steam USA -> $49.99
Steam EU -> 49.99€
Play.com -> 35.49€ + Free Shipping + DVD box and stuffs

Because of the tiers, in Poland the price for L4D2 on Steam is 38€, which is "only" 14% more expensive than in USA and UK, and of course more expensive than polish retail (which is around 30€). Another FAIL for Steam.

Kiddinx
11-19-2009, 12:03 AM
The € is getting stronger and stronger and the games (i.e. CoD MF2) are getting more and more expensive. :confused:

I bought my Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (DVD Box) for 44€! Why should I pay 60€ over Steam? Normally I would think this must be cheaper with the DVD Box, because there is nothing I have in my hands (No Box, no Manual, no nothing).

I only buy when there is a special price for a game.

netlork
11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Almost 1 year has passed since this began. They still do not listen, continue more and more expensive prices. Well, they don't want a dialogue, enough time has passed. It's over, I'm not buying more games on steam.
Return to retail versions, "go back".
This is one of my goals for the new year ;)

No problem if prices are in euros, but with its real price-adjusted, not inflated.

Cyrielx2
11-19-2009, 01:29 AM
As of posting this, the euro > dollar by 1.46. Almost 50% difference, but i don't care... you know why?

I don't either. i just don't. i cough up the dough they set their prices on and purchase on steam, because the dollar won't last very long, and soon americans worldwide will enjoy annexation by europe, to create glorious union. For the motherland !

/sarcasm.

But yeah... One can only hope they see the economic rap3 in this.

marekfreak1
11-19-2009, 02:28 AM
As of posting this, the euro > dollar by 1.46. Almost 50% difference, but i don't care... you know why?

I don't either. i just don't. i cough up the dough they set their prices on and purchase on steam, because the dollar won't last very long, and soon americans worldwide will enjoy annexation by europe, to create glorious union. For the motherland !

/sarcasm.

But yeah... One can only hope they see the economic rap3 in this.

Heh heh :p Actually the Yanks are doing pretty well for themselves. The USD is cheap at the moment. A lot of companies, speculaters etc, etc appear to be borrowing a lot USD currency. If things do turn around, sooner than expected, the bubble will pop. Hopefully the Euro will get a bit cheaper once again in the near future.

If not, we're stuck without jobs and shafted prices!

Jet Black
11-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Thought this would be an interesting addition to this topic.

Stardock released their 2009 Customer Report in which they address the regional pricing, why it exists, and how Impulse's 'One World, One Price' policy has actually cost them the ability to host several titles outside of north america:

Challenge #1: Regional Pricing & Availability

 Different publishers will price their titles differently depending on the territory. This is because most major publishers are actually a series of companies. It’s not MegaGame Corp. It’s MegaGame Europe Corp. MegaGame North America Corp. MegaGame Asia Corp. As a result, separate agreements have to be made with each territory. Thus far, our competitors have a significant head-start in this area.

 In addition, Stardock’s position of “one world, one price” requirement has resulted in many titles only being available in North America. Customer feedback has made it clear that availability trumps consistency in pricing and as such this requirement has been phased out, but it will take some time to get worldwide distribution on many titles simply because of the time involved.

Full document is available here (http://www.stardock.com/press/Reports/Stardock2009.pdf)

Simplex
11-20-2009, 02:18 AM
"Customer feedback has made it clear that availability trumps consistency in pricing and as such this requirement has been phased out,"

I would like to see this feedback. People really said "yes, we prefer paying more for games than in US"?

-ReuF-
11-20-2009, 02:23 AM
"Customer feedback has made it clear that availability trumps consistency in pricing and as such this requirement has been phased out,"

I would like to see this feedback. People really said "yes, we prefer paying more for games than in US"?

It should state: "Yes, we prefer to pay 30% more on Steam than the local retail price."

Not for me, by the way...:cool:

marekfreak1
11-20-2009, 02:33 AM
Yeah I think this is BS as well...once again businesses are pulling data outta their asses to justify high prices. This is generally common practice to simply cover their asses. Blame the consumer, they want those high prices!

klaymen_sk
11-20-2009, 03:58 AM
Yeah I think this is BS as well...once again businesses are pulling data outta their asses to justify high prices. This is generally common practice to simply cover their asses. Blame the consumer, they want those high prices!

Indeed, they are the good companies who want to care for their customers and want to set equal pricing for everyone....but the consumers DEMAND to pay more only because of their region.

Jet Black
11-20-2009, 05:58 AM

I think you're missing the 'availability trumps consistency' part. So basically you have a choice:

a) Have a game listed on Impulse (or Steam) at an increased price as negotiated with the publisher in the region, or
b) Not have access to the game at all (via Impulse or Steam).

If given those choices, then I'd say most people would opt for a) over b).

mchufnagel
11-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Surveys are only as good as the questions that are asked. I'm sure Stardock never asked the question "Would you pay more for the convience of downloading compared to getting a hard copy at a lower price?" and look at those numbers. Especially because thanks to Amazon and other online retailers, you can get it at the lower price and sent directly to your home.

chopstix
11-20-2009, 09:29 AM

As already mentioned in a few threads, I don't believe they are saying they want to pay more. The question is do they want to have the option to purchase the game, or not have it at all?

It may cost more or be a crappy option overall, but people still prefer to have the option of it being listed. It may get marked down from future sales, gifted by a foreign friend for less, etc. It is better to have it listed than not at all, even if you refuse to buy at the marked up price (which I would too).

Simplex
11-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I think you're missing the 'availability trumps consistency' part. So basically you have a choice:

a) Have a game listed on Impulse (or Steam) at an increased price as negotiated with the publisher in the region, or

Which for me equals to agreeing to being ripped ofd just like we are currently being ripped off by steam. I personally would choose b) - what's the benefit for me of having a game "available" if its price is laughable?

There are some exceptions though, look at that:
US: $29.99 $7.49
UK: ฃ14.99 ฃ3.74 (18% lower)
EU: 9,99€ 2,49€ (51% lower)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9460/

Whoah! Must be a mistake ;) I know it's not a great game but I
bought it before they "correct" the price ;)

Every game should be priced like this :D :D :D

marekfreak1
11-21-2009, 12:10 PM

I see where you are coming from, but with consumers, price will always be the number 1 factor i.e. Nay or Yay...and with DLC, not everybody is on a 30/50 mbit connection to the Internet.

Until then I think that availability could play a larger role.

Diaz
11-21-2009, 12:15 PM
yeah im thinking about wasting some gas driving into town tomorrow to get L4D2, to save around 16$, drive back home, activating the serial.nr in steam and download it anyway while putting the plastic r๖vbajs in the trashcan.

if steam would put the price to buy keys online the same or less than what the physical stores offers, then we would be bombing oil rich countries for astronomical national debts for no reason.

steam simply dont want you to buy online anymore, they are already rich and dont care.

one would be dumb to do that. since you can use public transit. for example here in finland 3.6€ will get you anywhere on the capitol area and that area is about to be expanded ( atm around a 120km radius. gonna b expanded to over 150km radius) and on the rural areas you still end up paying like 2€ for initial fee that covers 5km trips to town and 1€ extra for ever 11-14km depending where you live. even with a high speed broadband connection. going to town in rural area say 56km away buy the game. go back home install it. both saves money and time. only a jackass would waste money on their own gas for trips other than working trips if theres no public transit that i understand. But consider this. physical copy is not tied to your steam account. something happens to that account. it goes poof if you bought it from steam.

soulripper
11-21-2009, 12:18 PM
i dont understand the problem you pay the same fee in every country

Diaz
11-21-2009, 12:20 PM

have a preorder of game listed on a ridiculous price for preorder 1-3 months later than cheaper more reliable retail copies pre orders are available. ROFL! no thnx real prices or no listing at all for me thank you.

dude your reasoning fails. retailers dont rely on steam = reasoning behind option b. = made of fail.

Diaz
11-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Any business that wants a decent number of publisher's titles on their platform will follow a similar course to steam.

not really. steam sales in EU area been decreasing steadily since 1€ = 1$ policy got published. and in the meanwhile. retailer sales are booming.

impar
11-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Greetings!
i dont understand the problem you pay the same fee in every country
This comment is related to what?

sREa
11-21-2009, 01:15 PM
No: It's called the market: You Euro people have proven to the companies that your willing to pay for a baseball bat up your rear, so you get it. If you all stopped PAYING so much, then it wouldn't be WORTH so much.

Haha it's like we were all console gamers XD

But I guess we pay so much because it is our ONLY option. If we don't want to order everything from the US, import the game on disc that is, yeah that is our 2nd option. Which is massively cheaper.

El Pollo Diablo
11-21-2009, 04:47 PM
IWhat exactly are you trolling/flaming about? We communicate in English on this forum so if you use non-English acronyms then you may be misunderstood. I got all this bile for pointing it out?
Perhaps you had a bad day, or you confused me with user "briankearon666" but your response is really aggressive and rude and I cannot fathom what in my post provoked you to reply in such manner.

oh right. "we communicate in english so it's EU, period". you are a *็%*็%&*็& ♥♥♥♥.

unlike polish, e.g. spanish IS a world language, and i really don't give a ♥♥♥♥ if "we communicate in english here" by forum rules. ESPECIALLY IN THIS EUROPEAN RELATED THREAD.

the UE does NOT use english as the main language. it is your incredible ignorance towards other inhabitants of this planet (remember, e.g., south america?) and ppl who do NOT perfectly speak english that make me reply in such a manner. but i guess your mind ain't bright enough to understand this.

you're probably used to follow rules literally from earlier times.

Simplex
11-22-2009, 03:03 AM
PLONK. Post reported. This stream of swearwords and aggresion is not even worth commenting. I advise you start writing posts in Spanish in this thread since you hate English language so much.

Nokatus
11-22-2009, 03:24 AM
El Pollo Diablo, if one communicates using a chosen language, and then suddenly relies on acronyms from a different language, it only causes mixups.

Disputing the importance of other languages in the European Union (or elsewhere, for that matter) would be one thing, but striving for understandable exchange of thoughts is another.

Wulfklaue
11-22-2009, 05:20 PM
oh right. "we communicate in english so it's EU, period". you are a *็%*็%&*็& ♥♥♥♥.

unlike polish, e.g. spanish IS a world language, and i really don't give a ♥♥♥♥ if "we communicate in english here" by forum rules. ESPECIALLY IN THIS EUROPEAN RELATED THREAD.

the UE does NOT use english as the main language. it is your incredible ignorance towards other inhabitants of this planet (remember, e.g., south america?) and ppl who do NOT perfectly speak english that make me reply in such a manner. but i guess your mind ain't bright enough to understand this.

you're probably used to follow rules literally from earlier times.

El Pollo Diablo, the fact is, you are writing English right now, to make yourself understandable to other people in this thread. Is it so hard to use the correct terms like "EU", instead of your Spanish version?

-> Misschien moet ik in het vervolgens gaan posten in het Nederlands aangezien je vind dat uw taal primeert boven andere?

If you can not read this ... Well. Thats what happens when you try to push your own language above a common used language like English... ;) Most posters are EU citizens who's primary language is not English, yet, you are the only one that seem to have a problem with using English, and attack people for pointing out that they don't understand some off your words...

Now, to get back to the original topic.

Its a shame, that 11 months later, we still see the EU threated like some ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ child. I'm surprised that the UK store problem is still not fixed, now that the EU probably finished cleaning up the last bridge between us EU buyers that want to buy from the UK store.

There is only one good thing about all this... I have been saving massive amounts off money ... by not buying from Steam anymore the past 9 months or so :D

iownuall123
11-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I really don't see what the problem is. What does it matter if it's the same price in every currency? You guys don't live in the US so you don't pay US prices. Using the excuse that currency isn't worth the same all around the world is stupid, all you are trying to do is make it so steam charges you less, when you guys make more minimum wage than in the US anyways. You make more, you pay more imo

klaymen_sk
11-22-2009, 10:36 PM
You must be trolling, but anyways...

....when you guys make more minimum wage than in the US anyways. You make more, you pay more imo

You forgot a few details:
-unlike the Holy USA, Europe consists of many independent and different countries. Start living in a post-communistic country (like Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic), work for a smaller wage than in the US and buy games like MW2 from Steam for 60€ (yes, they charge you 60 effing Euros regardless of your country). Then you can shove your "you get more, you pay more" argument into....somewhere :D
-the prices weren't that high all the time. They were fine until someone got the great idea with regional pricing, which caused ridiculous price increase.
-Norway has no VAT on digital distribution, yet they pay the same as any other Europeans (and Steam's prices have VAT included).

Faur
11-22-2009, 11:03 PM
I really don't see what the problem is. What does it matter if it's the same price in every currency? You guys don't live in the US so you don't pay US prices. Using the excuse that currency isn't worth the same all around the world is stupid, all you are trying to do is make it so steam charges you less, when you guys make more minimum wage than in the US anyways. You make more, you pay more imo

I live in Norway. By your logic, we should pay in our norwegian currency, right? $1 USD = 1,- nok.

I'd love being able to pay 60 nok (or about $10) for a 60 dollar game.
As an additional funfact, norway isn't even part of the EU, which means we have never even used euros as our currency, but we still have to use it for steam since valve believes being in europe means you are part of the EU.

Zodiac+
11-23-2009, 01:37 AM
As an additional funfact, norway isn't even part of the EU, which means we have never even used euros as our currency, but we still have to use it for steam since valve believes being in europe means you are part of the EU.

Not strictly true, UK is part of the EU but pay in ฃ sterling. But anyway I digress & can’t help thinking its d้jเ vu.

Most UK online stores will ship across Europe, even a well known Canadian store will ship worldwide, so there is no excuse not to buy a game cheaper.

Nokatus
11-23-2009, 01:47 AM
I really don't see what the problem is. What does it matter if it's the same price in every currency?

I catch your drift. So if a game was $35 in the US, it should be sold for 35€ in Europe and ฅ35 in Japan.

In other words, it would be about $52 in Europe and 40 cents in Japan.

Yep, makes sense. I'd look into buying my games from Japan then :D

benbenky
11-23-2009, 02:37 AM
-Norway has no VAT on digital distribution, yet they pay the same as any other Europeans (and Steam's prices have VAT included).

It is not that obvious that Steam prices charged in Euros have VAT included. Steam T&C are very ambiguous about that. Steam is a registered VAT payer in UK and in Luxembourg. It is very likely that they charge premium rate of 23% on games distributed via steam platform but possibly share only 15% with revenue if any at all. I have asked for VAT receipet, it never arrived. It is also very likely that Steam keep a lot of European revenue in own pocket never passing due VAT charges to the taxman. Countries in EU have different VAT rates, these rates are not reflected on retail prices. If steam had played fair with the customers the prices would vary among countries or it would made very clear what VAT rate they applied for games.
Luxembourg have the lowest VAT rates in whole Euro zone. It is why Steam is VAT registered in Luxembourg. Distributors of digital content can enjoy VAT rates as low as 0%. Every game sold to non EU country (ie Russia, not sure about Norway, Swiss etc) is subject of 0% VAT rate. Russians paying premium €60 for games on steam must be aware that entire €60 fill up steams pockets.
Since customers dont get VAT receipts even on their own request it is also very likely that many transactions remain unregistered. Which is tax offense.

Faur
11-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Not strictly true, UK is part of the EU but pay in ฃ sterling. But anyway I digress & can’t help thinking its d้jเ vu.

Most UK online stores will ship across Europe, even a well known Canadian store will ship worldwide, so there is no excuse not to buy a game cheaper.

What's that got to do with my post? I never said anything about the UK.
I've hardly bought anything from steam ever since this change (and used to be a heavy user with over 60 games on my account), and currently usually buy from other digital retailers or have it shipped internationally.

Like I've said earlier in this thread, it's not that I find it "unfair" or that it angers me, it's just as simple as me taking my money elsewhere. It's just a matter of "what are they thinking" in regards to charging us $90 for a game we can get for $60 at other digital retailers (or even lower if we buy the box).

impar
11-23-2009, 04:55 AM
Greetings!
I really don't see what the problem is.
Let me try to explain to you, then.
What does it matter if it's the same price in every currency?
You dont understand what exchange rates are. Use this:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/
For a US$50 game price, Steam would have to charge Euro-users 33€+tax (on countries that have VAT), more or less 40€.
Instead,we have to pay 50€, 25% more for no reason at all.
If you say that we all should pay 50 Mexican Pesos, check with the site above how much would you pay.
...when you guys make more minimum wage than in the US anyways. You make more, you pay more imo
Thats false.
Minimum wage here is 475€/month, thats the equivalent to US$711/month. And that is before Social Security and IRS discounts, with those it goes down to 423€/US$633/month.
Whats the minimum wage in the USA, Iownuall123?

epsylon_Z1
11-23-2009, 10:49 AM
What does it matter if it's the same price in every currency?

1.00 USD = 178.983 HUF
1.00 EUR = 267.997 HUF

minimum wage now in Hungary 71.500 HUF = 399.458 USD / 266.8260 EUR
So,we are rich .

Simplex
11-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes, you are rich ;), in Poland minimum wage is 228€. You can buy almost 4 copies of Modern Warfare 2 on steam for that!

Diaz
11-24-2009, 02:12 AM
are you dumb or what. its not the wages that matter. Its the "buying power AKA money your left with on average" that matters for example here in finland, average working man gets around 1900-2100€/month. income tax for that is around 28% so thats around 500-570€ off. if hes a single, hes most likely living in a 1-2 rooms+kitchen house paying around 400-450€ rent. then theres the insurance monthly. takes around 120€ if full cover.then there is your average phone bill and net connection which both fill up a nice 100€ combined easily. Then if you use public transit 1 month = 82€. if you are forced to use your car say for 40-50km to go to work and back. not that lucky. on an average you end up paying 130-190€ for using the car a month (gas and some maintenance costs counted).

now these are the usualy things people have to pay for. when you add it all up and also consider there is bound to be more expenses to fill. your not left with that much. so getting the game in the same price as a retailer gives it for ya. can make all the difference between buying it from steam or not. Also not all countries are that lucky as someone already mentioned. the eastern block countries have it worse. Personally, I think valve would potentially make more money, if the pricing was not this ridiculous. Also steam when it comes to buying games. is about to become obsolete here in finland, there is a new retail shop coming to the market which on average is going to offer the games you see on steam 25-40% cheaper and includes the option of digital copy instead of physical. or possibility to use the Key for either one. i already saw them selling ACII pre-order and couple of others for 32€ with the dual use key included. i reccon when the pre order hits steam. its gonna be 45€. hah goodluck with that.

AdiAdrian
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
We are elitists and damn rich here in Romania: minimum wage= 600 RON = 140 EUR/ 210 USD !

So, yeah, Steam, charge me 90 bucks for MW2 and i will buy two. I promise you.

Echonian
11-24-2009, 09:39 AM
The proportion of how expensive the games are compared to total income and costs of living are higher in EU, that's what the issue is here really.

Toto pectore
11-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Looks like another competition is starting today (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/games-from-the-get-go-interview): Get Games by Eurogamer. Let's hope Get Games will understand more to European customers and set the prices at least on the same level as they are in classic retail shops.

MALICE00
11-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Well, I guess we have Valve's final answer on the pricing question: http://store.steampowered.com/news/3158/

darkbatman
11-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Well, I guess we have Valve's final answer on the pricing question: http://store.steampowered.com/news/3158/

yes :( nothing go to change.

brotrrwinner
11-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Well, I guess this means I'll just have to keep not buying from Steam. Suits me fine

mouton
11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Lol, how is it an answer? Just a continuation of their policy.

I bet in five years or something Gabe will say in some interview that a bunch of worthless European whiners just couldn't appreciate the cool new Steam features they made, lol

klaymen_sk
11-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Lol, how is it an answer? Just a continuation of their policy.

Yes, the continuation of their policy is the answer. Or the proverbial finger they gave us, name it as you want.

Sheytan
11-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Batman

US: $49.99 $24.99
UK: ฃ29.99 ฃ14.99 (1% lower)
EU: 49,99€ 24,99€ (50% higher)

LucasArts Premier Pack

US: $49.99
UK: ฃ34.99 (15% higher)
EU: 44,99€ (35% higher)

THQ Complete Pack

US: $49.99
UK: ฃ26.49 (13% lower)
EU: 49,99€ (50% higher)

Far Cryฎ 2: Fortune's Edition

US: $19.99 $9.99
UK: ฃ19.99 ฃ9.99 (65% higher)
EU: 29,99€ 14,99€ (125% higher)

Grid

US: $29.99 $7.49
UK: ฃ14.99 ฃ3.74 (18% lower)
EU: 19,99€ 4,99€ (0% lower)

marekfreak1
11-26-2009, 10:56 AM
...yeah frack that. When I can buy more for my money, then why should I be forced pay higher prices than US/UK and get less. Why Valve continues to think us Euros are gullible and misinformed consumers eludes me.

I'm thinking of getting Batmam...guess I'll just get a friend to gift it to me! Only L4D 2 was worth its value in Euros (at least for Tier 2 region).

sappy
11-26-2009, 02:33 PM
At the moment Batman is still 50% more,I really don' think it's worth it. For it to actually be at a discounted price it should be under 19 €

Diaz
11-27-2009, 03:50 AM
think ill give valve the proverbial finger. by just straight torrenting some of their games.

-ReuF-
11-27-2009, 05:01 AM
With the current holiday sales, Steam prices are approaching local retail prices here in Holland! I might be buying my first game on Steam since they introduced the $1=€1 bug...

jimmirock
11-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Why on God's earth is Farcry 2 both $9 and ฃ9?

I like Steam but I wish they'd sort out these inconsistencies.

darthpingoo
11-27-2009, 07:47 AM
And 15€ ;)

risa2000
11-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Why on God's earth is Farcry 2 both $9 and ฃ9?
/Sarcasm on/
Maybe, because it is 15 EUR (on sale), so they need something else to keep 1 USD = 1 (something) ratio.
/Sarcasm off/

EDIT: Originally, I have not noticed it has been already mentioned.

Diaz
11-27-2009, 12:18 PM
LMAO this is getting pathetic on valves behalf. 32€ retail price for l4d2 here already. steam price 37,49€ why on earth would i want to buy that from steam xD

Smertnik
11-27-2009, 12:25 PM
LMAO this is getting pathetic on valves behalf. 32€ retail price for l4d2 here already. steam price 37,49€ why on earth would i want to buy that from steam xD
It'd cost you 28€ if you share a 4-pack.
And there's always the option of getting it gifted to you from someone from the US or the UK. For instance, sharing a 4-pack would cost you $28 (~18€).

saivert
11-27-2009, 12:28 PM
why do we have to go through all this trouble to get the game at a decent price again?

when Americans get it cheap by default!

Diaz
11-27-2009, 12:33 PM
It'd cost you 28€ if you share a 4-pack.
And there's always the option of getting it gifted to you from someone from the US or the UK. For instance, sharing a 4-pack would cost you $28 (~18€).
why on earth would i want to do that. not that many of my friends are into that game series anyway. and the few who are. already have it which they say is the last full priced valve game they are buying. also not that many people dish out money for people they have not even seen face to face. not to mention dont live in the same country. then there is the option money of transfer hmmm. considering theres a solid 10€ fee(6€ if swift chek) + the 2,5% and EURIBor % which is around 4-5% extra you still end up paying more than someone from the states buying it.

Smertnik
11-27-2009, 12:36 PM
then there is the option money of transfer hmmm. considering theres a solid 10€ fee(6€ if swift chek) + the 2,5% and EURIBor % which is around 4-5% extra you still end up paying more than someone from the states buying it.
Not really. With PayPal you don't have to pay any fees at all.

grinchmuc
11-27-2009, 01:48 PM
l4d2 is 25% cheaper in czech thn it is in germany.

link to a screenie (http://i.imgur.com/rNhXr.png)

Jimmy Damage
11-27-2009, 11:22 PM

lol @ this guy :D

Simplex
11-28-2009, 01:47 AM
Not really. With PayPal you don't have to pay any fees at all.

Not really. You forgot about paypal exchange rates - e.g. when on open market 1$=1.5€, then on paypal it is for example 1$=1.3€ and you still pay more.

JediEagle
11-28-2009, 02:52 AM
Then dont let PayPal do the conversion between currencies. That's what I do and I pay less. It's cheaper if the bank does the conversion, at least for me.

Toto pectore
11-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Yep, you should set your PayPal properly.

thod
11-28-2009, 05:50 AM
Not really. You forgot about paypal exchange rates - e.g. when on open market 1$=1.5€, then on paypal it is for example 1$=1.3€ and you still pay more.

Dont want to be petty but it should be $1,5=1€...:)

MALICE00
11-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Dont want to be petty but it should be $1,5=1€...:)

No, he's using the Steam-conversion, so that's about right...

marekfreak1
11-28-2009, 10:41 AM
..again these sales are a total slap in the face for us Euros again. For eg: Borderlands 33% sale on Steam, only brings the price down to exactly how much I can actually buy the game for in retail!!!!

Of course, L4D1 & 2 are the only games worth this deal they offered on Steam since the actual price difference between USD/Euro prices is like only 0.38 Euro cents. The currency conversion is a little off, but there is minimum price discrimination between USD/EURO in this case, which is not a problem at all.

This again leads me to think, Valve either truly has a nice little monopoly with Steam, they are unable to set the correct currency conversion/price between USD/EURO for games besides their own OR Publishers are the ones giving us Euros the shaft and Valve is incapable (or too incompetent) to actually do anything about it.

Pathetic.

marekfreak1
11-28-2009, 11:31 AM
...Wishful thinking:

How PC gamers can be heard (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/how-pc-gamers-can-be-heard-hint-not-by-threats-of-piracy.ars)

jiMMyoNewAy
11-28-2009, 03:12 PM
the site today is soo much messed up, sometime its showing me prices in USD and sometimes in GBPs I am in the Carribean and usually it shows in USD for the past year since i have been here. I usually up and down US and here but today is soo messed up, even wanted to buy Ghostbusters and could not.
Maybee ill have to ask my wife to buy it for me and gift it.But this is so annoying

El Pollo Diablo
11-28-2009, 05:00 PM
PLONK. Post reported. This stream of swearwords and aggresion is not even worth commenting. I advise you start writing posts in Spanish in this thread since you hate English language so much.

PLONK is not an english word (except for cheap wine). "we communicate in english here, period." go post on some polish forums if you want to use words like PLONK.

oh booohooohooohooo i've been reported by an ignorant and nothing happened. oh wait.. that's not right... something DID happen. that post you reported boosted my rep! guess i wasn't all wrong, kid.

you have no idea what you're talking about, eh? paypal doesn't do ANY of this! but don't worry, i'll just ignore you in the future. you're not worth the effort.

/ignore set to ON

Temar
11-28-2009, 05:47 PM
PLONK is not an english word (except for cheap wine). "we communicate in english here, period." go post on some polish forums if you want to use words like PLONK.

You might not find it in a dictionary, but "plonk" actually is english internet jargon. Looks like you are too young - never used the usenet, eh?

you have no idea what you're talking about, eh? paypal doesn't do ANY of this!

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside&countries=EU

A cross border fee of 0.5% applies to payments received from senders in another country.
Payments requiring a currency conversion include a 2.5% fee.

Ec]-[oMaN
11-28-2009, 05:57 PM
So when are all the Europeans just going to buy locally or online within their own country, surely if 50% of you guys did, it would be felt by Steam/Valve/Publishers and things might change.

jackal180
11-28-2009, 06:12 PM
How is this thread still here? It's been almost a year now, and there's no sign of this being fixed, so you might as well get used to it or leave.

briankearon666
11-28-2009, 06:30 PM
How is this thread still here? It's been almost a year now, and there's no sign of this being fixed, so you might as well get used to it or leave.

Feeling is mutual mate. Until this is fixed, get used to the thread being here, or leave!
If you don't have something to contibute to the discussion, then don't bother at all really.

marekfreak1
11-28-2009, 11:12 PM
-[oMaN;12249745']So when are all the Europeans just going to buy locally or online within their own country, surely if 50% of you guys did, it would be felt by Steam/Valve/Publishers and things might change.

I only bought L4D2 on Steam, since the price was ok and cheaper than in retail and sorta on par with the USD price. Convinced a friend new to Steam to purchase L4D2 as well. Otherwise all his 10+ games in the last month, available on Steam, all purchased in retail.

Otherwise I bought Mass Effect, Far Cry 2, CODMW1 (gifted via US based colleague), CODMW2 registered on Steam, Crysis & Crysis Warhead retail box versions. Still a few other games I purchased throughout the year in retail as well (laying around here somewhere) and most of them are available on Steam.

So..I don't know about the rest of the posters in this thread, but I'm not actively buying anything on Steam especially during these so called "holiday sales".

Simplex
11-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Yep, you should set your PayPal properly.

How? Since paypal is taking money from my credit card (which is in Polish zloty) then there has to be a conversion to dollars. Even if I lived in a country that uses euro, Paypal would still have to convert it to dollars - or am I missing something here?

Toto pectore
11-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Yeah, conversion has to be done, but you can set if you let PayPal do the conversion or if it will be done by your bank.

Simplex
11-29-2009, 01:03 AM
but don't worry, i'll just ignore you in the future. you're not worth the effort.

Don't worry, if you knew what the word PLONK means, you would realize that I already ignored you.

thod
11-29-2009, 04:53 AM
-[oMaN;12249745']So when are all the Europeans just going to buy locally or online within their own country, surely if 50% of you guys did, it would be felt by Steam/Valve/Publishers and things might change.

Idealy yes. But we donดt live in an ideal world, what this would say to the companies is: "You overcharge us but that's ok cause we can afford it" and nothing would change.. Much like it is now (I refer to the no change part).
But I belive that in half a year or a year we will see some kind of change because the dollar will be so much weaker compared to todays value. Unfortunally even with that change europeans will have to pay more, mainly because we can afford more (as a socity, not all individuals).

klaymen_sk
11-29-2009, 10:47 AM
So..I don't know about the rest of the posters in this thread, but I'm not actively buying anything on Steam especially during these so called "holiday sales".

Same here. I've used to buy on GOG and other games I'll purchase in retail (especially those that require Steam anyways, like DoW2 Chaos Rising).

No need to pay more for less.

alex2005
11-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Check this example out.

Overlord II here in Greece, in a retail store is 49,90€, and I bought it from Steam when it had an offer for 7.50€.
And most of the retail games I've seen, have higher prices than Steam, especially when there are discounts.

Sure I don't agree with the whole $1 = 1€, but still, it's cheaper to buy from Steam than retail in most cases...

Toto pectore
11-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Well they sell it on Steam for 30€ now and that's exactly the same price as in shops here. If the game is in 75% deal, why not buy it...

And do you know that EU is open market and you can buy it in Britain cheaper? Also many games on UK Direct2Drive are available in whole EU for UK prices.

(for example right now: GTA IV in deal for ฃ9.95/€11/$16.4 vs 50$ on Steam)

Simplex
11-29-2009, 03:23 PM
(for example right now: GTA IV in deal for ฃ9.95/€11/$16.4 vs 50$ on Steam)

Good price, pity it has regional restrictions:
"This product is only available for purchase in the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, Greece."

marekfreak1
11-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Check this example out.

Overlord II here in Greece, in a retail store is 49,90€, and I bought it from Steam when it had an offer for 7.50€.
And most of the retail games I've seen, have higher prices than Steam, especially when there are discounts.

Sure I don't agree with the whole $1 = 1€, but still, it's cheaper to buy from Steam than retail in most cases...

Sorry but I beg to differ. This thread proves otherwise. I really don't know where you are buying your games, probably Tesco or something.

...and Overlord II is only one example. How much does CODMW1 & 2 cost in retail in Greece?

Don't you have specialized stores for gamers (like GAME) or Internet shops? I am sure if you look around a bit, you'll find that you are looking/buying at all the wrong places.

weaponmen
11-30-2009, 02:58 AM
Well, Valve updated the price like this : 9.99 $ to 9.99 Euro, After a month or 2 they changed it right to : 9.99 $ to 6.99 maybe (9.99 USD = 6.63689 EUR)

Which its the same thing, So, i don't blame them.

mocas
11-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Check this example out.

Same thing in Portugal, steam is cheaper.

Simplex
11-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Same thing in Portugal, steam is cheaper.

Or you did not look good enough. Even if we assume that retail games in portugal are more expensive than retail (which I find extremely hard to believe) then you are forgetting that you also live in European Union which allows you to buy goods from all member countries - in this case you can buy cheap games from stores like Game.co.uk or play.co.uk. They ship very cheaply (or for free) to most EU countries, including Portugal.

The argument "Steam is cheaper in [insert EU country here]" is complete ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ when you can buy games from all EU countries.

Weird Russian
11-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Gentlemen, did someone already moan about the THQ pack currently on sale?

So get this! THQ pack on Steam: UK has 18 games and costs 26,49 pounds (about 29 €). Germany has 13 (!) games and costs 49,99€ (about 45 pounds!). I mean it's still a bargain, but just because the prices are jacked up to the sky otherwise...

So 5 games less, 20€/18,50 pounds more expensive. Makes sense to me!

NOT. Won't be buying, even though I'd save a lot of money. It's just not fair.

marekfreak1
12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
So I've given myself a €500 budget for games this X-mas (awesome having family members all grown up now, so extra cash to spend on yours truly lol). I have friends/colleagues going to the UK & US so...gonna write me up a nice little list to stock up on tons of games for the next few months.

Steam will most likely not get a single Euro from me, even though I am considering bumping up my connection to 50 mb/s down:5mb's up...(or maybe I'll just go the 100 mb/s up:10 mb/s route instead), which would really be great for DLC.

DJdeadpool
12-03-2009, 03:48 PM
The game gets sold for its value in the country not over the currency.
When GTA SA came out it was about $25USD in stores and ฃ32.xx In stores over here.

Kub666
12-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Why are you posting in this thread? I's been almost a year now, and there's no sign of this EU currency issue being fixed, so you might as well get used to this thread or ignore it.

mouton
12-06-2009, 07:18 AM
The thread is still here because the prices did not cease to be a problem. We did not "get used to it". People are known to get used to harsh conditions, injustice etc. but it is neither an obligation nor a universal mechanism.

luciferosX
12-06-2009, 09:35 AM
6,948 responses up til this point and has anything changed? This is the largest thread on the planet.

MALICE00
12-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't want to look it up in this huge thread, but wasn't there something about a law in the EU that would be in effect about now? Or will it start on January 1st?

Maybe one of the writers of those letters could inform us once again... Maybe even do a follow-up letter that this (feature?) malpractice is still going on?

1€ ≠ 1$
12-06-2009, 10:19 AM
There will be summed up article on you know here when this threads turns 1 year old.

epsylon_Z1
12-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I wonder, if Steam is using this kind of VAT too.
For customers from Austria 20%, Belgium 21%, Denmark 25%, France19.6%, Germany16%, Ireland 21%, Italy 20%, Netherlands 19%, Spain 16%, Sweden 25%, and UK the national VAT rate of 15% will be applied. For all other EU customers, the UK VAT rate of 15% will be applied.

bruuno117
12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
well if I want l4d 2, ill have to shell out 50eur, and then ad an extra 25% caus I live in denmark. I really hate steam for pulling this crap on me, and I used to really love steam :|

Simplex
12-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Are you sure? I thought all Steam purchases already have vat included (where applicable). So basially if you pay 50€ for a game when you are living in a country where vat is 15% it is assumed that the final price includes 15% vat. If you pay same 50€ when living in a country where vat is 20%, it is assumed the final price includes 20% vat - guess who pockets the difference between 15% and 20% vat ;)
The "best" thins is that when you buy game on Steam when living in a country where vat on digital purchases is 0% (like Norway) you still pay the full price, the same price as person from a country where vat is 20%. Guess who pockets the difference.

The_Apeking
12-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I wonder, if Steam is using this kind of VAT too.

I don't know about the other countries, but Germany has a 19% VAT and it seems more like they use a 100% VAT.

KG808
12-08-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm more of a casual "silent" gamer.

I'm shocked to read this topic. I was very pleased when purchased some games in Steam more than a year ago. And when I'm back, I know of this euro-dollar matter.

I was once very happy when all of this -Steam- came out: I could FINALLY purchase a large variety of games (including awesome packs), paying for them what I considered to be a FAIR price, among other things. At least here in Spain, it was great that we could finally get rid of all of that retailer pricings abuse that we had been facing from years.

And now Steam is little more than anything else. Though it's somewhat comforting that not all vendors follow the abusive pricing trend, in the end I see the same pseudo-random pricing abuse that has always been (and will always be, it seems).

It's sad. It's pretty discouraging.

Zefar
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
VAT is included in the prices. But wasn't like that a year ago or something. Before this thing started to appear at least.

Also I always been able to find new games cheaper on other places than steam. Just that some old games might be a lot cheaper when they do special sale days or when holiday arrives.

F3nya
12-08-2009, 07:51 PM
VAT is only included in European prices. Those who pay in USD, get VAT applied at checkout.

Go1den3ye
12-09-2009, 01:55 AM
I still can't see why NO ONE representing Steam has given a statement about this..

marekfreak1
12-09-2009, 02:15 AM
I still can't see why NO ONE representing Steam has given a statement about this..

Ummm it's more than obvious...over 1 year...Valve simply doesn't give a damn about us Euros. No single company/publisher cares a damn about the EU market anyway (besides maybe Dice), which has been proven time and time again.

...but with Microsoft & Eurogamer getting into the DLC gaming market in Europe, should hopefully mean a fresh start for us all!

Centar
12-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Bump.

This is currently the greates issue with Steam. :mad:

A thread with almost a MILLION views - just proves they don't care!

epsylon_Z1
12-09-2009, 07:41 AM
A thread with almost a MILLION views - just proves they don't care!and soon it will be one years old

MALICE00
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
and soon it will be one years old

Normally that would be something to celebrate... In this case however... Well, I think everybody knows what I mean!

Supino
12-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Dear Valve,

I like paying around 40% more than the UK and US. I don't understand why this is such a hot topic. Ignoring this completely is EXACTLY the right way to handle the situasion! These guys are just ignorant forum spammers. We europeens are rich, we dont mind paying unfair prices. Just keep ignoring it, like nothing has happened, they'll SOON forget about this - trust me.

Good work so far and keep it up!

XOXO

Gurluas
12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
It sucks really.

J.S.J
12-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Why cant they just bring dollar back?? cant remember anyone dying to have them other currency's which did only bad for us as customers.

-ReuF-
12-11-2009, 04:30 AM
I haven't bought outside weekend deals since the $1=€1 bug was introduced. And even the weekend deals are even more expensive than the local retailers prices. I am willing to pay a few extra euros for the convenience of online distribution, but not 30~40% more as Steam likes to see.

1€ ≠ 1$
12-11-2009, 10:00 AM
one year anniversary coming up in about a week

Toto pectore
12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Then I shall save my bottle of Champagne for something else and 'celebrate' this with cup of very dark and very bitter coffee instead.

worse1
12-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Why cant they just bring dollar back?? cant remember anyone dying to have them other currency's which did only bad for us as customers.

yah no clue, I was happy to pay in dollars. Just give me the option you unglobalists. The world is 1 place nowadays your old perpetually stupid region-locked model doesnt work anymore. You can choose: want the money or people will download your work, companies!.

Centar
12-12-2009, 06:40 PM
yah no clue, I was happy to pay in dollars. Just give me the option you unglobalists. The world is 1 place nowadays your old perpetually stupid region-locked model doesnt work anymore. You can choose: want the money or people will download your work, companies!.
Apparently they can. And they will. Because it makes them more money and you can't stop them.

If they are able to sell enough with the higher prices, why should they cut them down? Why should they make less money? No one is going to do that unless forced to.

candy
12-12-2009, 07:12 PM
decided to check up on this topic again after a year and i kinda cried inside to see valve still hasn't reponded
i would even be glad to see a shut the |@#{| up you whiny ♥♥♥♥♥♥es
as long as it is something they say i'm happy

Froooooom
12-13-2009, 02:20 AM
I haven't bought outside weekend deals since the $1=€1 bug was introduced. And even the weekend deals are even more expensive than the local retailers prices. I am willing to pay a few extra euros for the convenience of online distribution, but not 30~40% more as Steam likes to see.

Quoted for truth

Larry1212
12-13-2009, 02:31 AM
STEAM aren't the only ones at fault here. Try getting in touch with your countries Financial Ombudsman or the European Ombudsman. They don't care and won't even supply even the slightest bit of information on the matter as to why STEAM and other such companies are allowed follow this practice and get away with it.

As is it seems STEAM are not being investigated on the matter and that's not their fault(Although they shouldn't have to be pushed for fair trade...). I think it's more up to the thousands of us getting ripped off every day to get in touch and put the presure on the appropriate body who can take action for anything to come about.

I will continue to try get some answers however it's been two months and i've yet to get a reply.

nautsch
12-13-2009, 10:20 AM
If they are able to sell enough with the higher prices, why should they cut them down? Why should they make less money? No one is going to do that unless forced to.

Because they would make even more money. I remember an interview with gabe, in which he talked about the sales of left 4 dead, when they had it on weakend deal (I think it was Left 4 dead) He basically said, that they earned more money with this even when it was half the price, just because they sold more units than in the first few days after the release.

In my eyes the logical consequence would be to lower the prices and sell more. But somewhere a guy in marketing is sitting who just doesn't get it and who has too much to say and who costs Valve a whole bunch of money. Probably the same guy who decided not to respond to the issue at hand with the 1€ = $1. I still did not buy a single game from Steam, not even weekend deals.

Bamfy
12-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, the thing you have to take into account, and I didn't read all 466 pages to find ONE person that said it, is the simple fact that the Euro is stronger then the US Dollar. If I was to make minimum wage in, lets just say England for example, from a quick Google search they make 5.80 in Euros an hour which equates to $8.48 an hour in US dollars. I live in Oregon and we have one of the highest Min-wages in the country at $8.40 an hour. (Only 14 states have wages similar, only two of which are the same, the rest are lower but still higher then the Federal.)

Now, most of the country is at or below the Federal Minimum Wage $7.25 - $7.40 and hour. Just think about that a moment.

You're right, it would be smarter to buy a US copy, but then you have to pay to have it shipped over there, they have to pay to have it shipped as well. From my limited time with UPS, to ship something to Europe with a value of 50 US Dollars and the weight, it's going to be equal or greater then the 50 Euros/70 US Dollars that you're already paying.

The thing you have to ask is it JUST Steam and Valve? Or are ALL games in Europe that way? If they are NOT, then yes you have a legit issue here that NEEDS to be addressed, if ALL are that way, then it's just the cost of shipping games over there. Also you have to think about if they are manufacturing the CDs there or not, if they are then you DO have a valid issue, other wise the shipping would be enough to justify (in there eyes not mine,) a price hike.

Food for Thought.

(On a final side note, I will not respond to flaming or immature posts. Also, if you want me to site my numbers, Google it like I did. And finally...)

hvkasteren
12-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Bamfy, you could have had a point there, if the UK prices weren't a lot better converted than the prices in the rest of the EU. Besides that, there's a lot of countries in Europe that have worse minimum wages, yet are expected to pay the same price as countries with high minimum wages.

Larry1212
12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Well, the thing you have to take into account, and I didn't read all 466 pages to find ONE person that said it, is the simple fact that the Euro is stronger then the US Dollar. If I was to make minimum wage in, lets just say England for example, from a quick Google search they make 5.80 in Euros an hour which equates to $8.48 an hour in US dollars. I live in Oregon and we have one of the highest Min-wages in the country at $8.40 an hour. (Only 14 states have wages similar, only two of which are the same, the rest are lower but still higher then the Federal.)

Now, most of the country is at or below the Federal Minimum Wage $7.25 - $7.40 and hour. Just think about that a moment.

You're right, it would be smarter to buy a US copy, but then you have to pay to have it shipped over there, they have to pay to have it shipped as well. From my limited time with UPS, to ship something to Europe with a value of 50 US Dollars and the weight, it's going to be equal or greater then the 50 Euros/70 US Dollars that you're already paying.

The thing you have to ask is it JUST Steam and Valve? Or are ALL games in Europe that way? If they are NOT, then yes you have a legit issue here that NEEDS to be addressed, if ALL are that way, then it's just the cost of shipping games over there. Also you have to think about if they are manufacturing the CDs there or not, if they are then you DO have a valid issue, other wise the shipping would be enough to justify (in there eyes not mine,) a price hike.

Food for Thought.

(On a final side note, I will not respond to flaming or immature posts. Also, if you want me to site my numbers, Google it like I did. And finally...)

We don't get a physical copy. We download digital media from a server(Which is located in Europe). In retail we don't get our products shipped from the states, atleast media and computing anyway so there's no need to pay for shipping from the US to the EU.

The fact that we're DLing from our own continent and not being charged for a physical product is the problem. It would be acceptable if at the begining of each year prices were reassessed based on what the exchange rate is at that time every year. So far charging $ for € is unpresidented and totally ripping us off and for the price we pay we do not get any special benefits, we even get most of these game releases days behind the US.

I once brought up the standard of living in Europe as opposed to the US but I must admit I was wrong to deem pricing policies based on this as acceptable. In Ireland we have one of the highest minimum wages in Europe... if you were to convert our minum wage to the US dollar we'd get, roughly, $14 an hour. If your point is they're lowering the price in the US to meet standard of living then why should it be so high in Europe... should they not also make an equal profit if prices were converted appropriately? Considering this anything made in the € = $ policy is pure profit from the European market. Profit they shouldn't be getting.

impar
12-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Greetings!
If I was to make minimum wage in, ...
You would make 450€/month.
The thing you have to ask is it JUST Steam and Valve? Or are ALL games in Europe that way?
I can get retail games on release date for 35€, Steam sells for 50€.

What else do you need to know?

laffer35
12-13-2009, 05:38 PM
I am willing to pay a few extra euros for the convenience of online distribution, but not 30~40% more as Steam likes to see.
Cut the middle man, cheaper games for all! :D

Mu6o
12-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Well to say Bulgaria is kind of a r!#%$%pe here because €1=1.958 BGN....
1$=1.3BGN...and so on, so it's cheaper to buy with dollars not euros :(

lost474
12-14-2009, 03:35 AM
well tomorrow the mircosoft live games on demand is coming out so im curios how they do there thing and what im rlly curios about ive the are going to battle valve steam !?!?!?!

impar
12-14-2009, 03:42 AM
Greetings!
well tomorrow the mircosoft live games on demand is coming out...
Took me a hour to activate Batman in Games For Windows Live.
Have no intention of buying any game that has that fubared system in place.

marekfreak1
12-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Greetings!

Took me a hour to activate Batman in Games For Windows Live.
Have no intention of buying any game that has that fubared system in place.

Yip as was the initial case with Steam and other DLC services, users are once again put into the role as Beta Testers.

I guess it'll take some time till they work out all the kinks. In the meantime, stock up on Vicodin and enjoy the nerves!

AndreaGalileo
12-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Can someone explain ME WHY IS CSS COSTING 15 EURO IN ITALY AND 20 EURO IN SWITZERLAND!!

Ok, i was in Italy yesterday and i bought the game with the 75% discount on the Italian price: 3,75€. Here (Switzerland) it's on sale for 5€.

Why are prices different between ITALY and SWITZERLAND.

I was lucky i was in Italy this weekend.

Toto pectore
12-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Europe is divided in 2 (in some cases 3) tiers with different pricing + there is of course extra pricing for UK.

klaymen_sk
12-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Can someone explain ME WHY IS CSS COSTING 15 EURO IN ITALY AND 20 EURO IN SWITZERLAND!!

If Italy and Switzerland are in different "tiers" (which apply only to Valve games, IIRC), then you know why. However I CBA to check it.

1€ ≠ 1$
12-14-2009, 12:14 PM
If Italy and Switzerland are in different "tiers" (which apply only to Valve games, IIRC), then you know why. However I CBA to check it.

Not only Valve games, most new games (like Red Faction 3) and EA Games too.

icefiresr
12-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Valve knows very good whatดs going on here, as their employees are sweeping this topic on regular basis with mods deleting some replies in this topic.

They know whatดs happening and are ignoring this situation. Really nice customer support Gabe :eek:

InFailityWard
12-15-2009, 04:52 AM
This is just crazy, steam you have let me down and I will never buy games from the steamstore anymore (just retail)

The only stand you all can take is to do this also or don't buy steam games at all, there's not much more you can do really..

chopstix
12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Well it's officially been a year (http://ddreview.5elements.net/2009/12/valves-silence-one-year-later/), and still nothing from Valve. It's amazing how everyone praises them as a gamer friendly company, yet they alienate an entire region of gamers and refuse to communicate about the subject.

Really, there is no excuse for this. Any sane company would at least try to communicate with it's consumers, not give the silent treatment.

klaymen_sk
12-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Well it's officially been a year (http://ddreview.5elements.net/2009/12/valves-silence-one-year-later/), and still nothing from Valve. It's amazing how everyone praises them as a gamer friendly company, yet they alienate an entire region of gamers and refuse to communicate about the subject.

If you live in the USA, they are user friendly. For Europeans (well, maybe except GB) they are user hostile.

Happy screw-you day everyone...

Octa
12-17-2009, 01:39 AM

Really, there is no excuse for this. Any sane company would at least try to communicate with it's consumers, not give the silent treatment.

A: "Hey Valve, any statement to the european hostile excha-"
B: "We'll release a brand new TF2-Class Update, L4D1 and L4D2-DLC is on it's way and a new game will be announced in the next months"
A:*starts shivering, then running in circles* "ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod ur so great valve with ur long term free game-support!"
"what was my 1st question again? nevermind....which class will be updated?"

-ReuF-
12-17-2009, 03:58 AM
Well I bought only ONE game on Steam since the €1=$1 virus became active. The price level at Steam compared to the local retail prices is ridiculous (30~40% higher). No money for Steam!

Ptolemaeus
12-17-2009, 06:02 AM
One year of silly prices. Valve, oh Valve, why won't you LISTEN!?

Wulfklaue
12-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Well, we can only say ... Happy one year anniversary ripoff prices for the EU ( minus the UK of course ).

The only good deal i have seen this year, was the 5 days one, with a few good one's.

aoineko
12-17-2009, 06:05 AM
More than 1 year and no answer yet: Why European people have to pay more than Americans for the same game!? We are not money-spinners!

vempajor
12-17-2009, 06:18 AM
They do it cause they can.

Sad.

:(

CptWasp
12-17-2009, 06:39 AM
I fear this is an already lost battle, but a right one, indeed.

Valve, please, 1$ is different from 1€.

blaME
12-17-2009, 06:40 AM
A whole year has passed now..
My boycott of Steam is still in effect, I have not bought a single game over Steam since the prices were changed.
I hope some day you will treat your customers with respect and actually communicate with them.

Recently I have found it cheaper to buy the actual physical game or order it online and have it delivered to my doorstep. That way there is no risking that Steam might close one day, or that the service is down and I can't play my games. And I thought digital distribution was the future :)

dethorin
12-17-2009, 06:42 AM
one year of overcharged prices in Europe. :-(

We are still waiting, valve...

bolt
12-17-2009, 06:53 AM
..and still buying games