PDA

View Full Version : Graphical Text Corruption in vista

noctuk
12-29-2008, 02:00 PM
This is a friend's game that's having the problem, since his account in here hasnt been activated yet. Here's his problem:

Bought this game on steam and it does not work correctly , when you load the game it comes up with a lack of agp memory and i need to set my AGP memory in bios

http://e.imagehost.org/0926/Clipboard02.jpg

Clicking ok and the game ends up looking like this

http://e.imagehost.org/0157/Clipboard01.jpg

GTX 260 , Q6600 , 8GB , Latest Drivers on everything!

Many other threads detailing the problem from other users

http://forums.techguy.org/games/766475-heroes-annihilated-empires-problem.html
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=278353
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2//viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62244
http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=fg&thm_page=2&thm_id=713&sec_id=28&offset=240
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=923900&topic=47014348

Looks like a refund is needed with steam purchase. :(
Can anyone provide suggestions?

thanks! :)

edit. The threads were wrong, here are the corrected ones.
thanks again! :)

Crazy | Don
12-29-2008, 07:28 PM
thats basically my rig except that ive got 4gigs of ram. and ive got exactly the same problems.

it seems like noone cares though :P

somewhatdamaged
12-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Same problem here, looks like Steam will be dishing out some refunds.

Saryk
12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Same problem here! Is there a fix?

Greg Vederman
12-31-2008, 12:26 AM
There may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

I found a relatively new patch for the retail version of HoAE, seemingly from this year, that's supposed to fix this specific problem:

www.strategyinformer.com/pc/patches/heroesofannihilatedempires/patch.html

Patch notes: "Allows to launch games of Cossacks 2 series and Heroes of the Annihilated Empires with the new graphic cards with high graphic memory. These games previously crashed with a AGP-memory shortage message."

I have no way of testing it, of course, because STEAM doesn't allow outside patching, but I'm hoping that if we all file separate help tickets, directing Valve support to the patch, they'll be able to quickly integrate it into the STEAM version.

I figure it's worth a shot. I enjoyed this game back in the day, and personally, I'd rather have it working than accept a refund.

Cheers,

-Vede

Crazy | Don
12-31-2008, 05:45 AM
Aye i im still hoping... :P

Neilsouth
12-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Finally i got authorized :p

Anyhoo

I've tried that supposed patch fix for high memory cards all it does is stop the crashing in game with the AGP-memory shortage message. It does not fix the agp bios memory message on start up or the visual text corruption. I've tried this on a friends system who has vista 64 and the retail game which was not steam. So as of yet STILL no fix.

:eek::(:(

Q6600 @ 3ghz / Vista 64BIT / 8GB Memory / GTX 260 @ 710/1200

Neilsouth
12-31-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm going to try Windows 7 32bit , seperate partition dual boot..

ZootSuitBryon
01-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm having the same problem, but running a Vista 32-bit with a 1GB GTX 280 card. Anyone put in a support ticket and hear anything back? I just put in my ticket - I don't think the support people actively read or respond on the forums.

Neilsouth
01-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I tried windows 7 and no change , i give up on this game and its support... Seems the only way to get it to work right is to have an agp graphics card or maybe xp :o:o:o

noctuk
01-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey man, so, did you manage to get the game working?

Neilsouth
01-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Nope , gave up with it :(

noctuk
01-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Nope , gave up with it :(

Damn, so are you gonna ask for a refund? Problem is i dont think valve allows refunds.

Crazy | Don
01-02-2009, 05:50 AM
Right now i dont really care for a refund, i just want valve or who ever to say something to this... :D

Neilsouth
01-02-2009, 06:17 AM
I'd put a tenner down that nobody staff wise will respond to this thread...

:(

noctuk
01-02-2009, 08:51 AM
I'd put a tenner down that nobody staff wise will respond to this thread...

:(

Get some consumer rights organization then. :)

Crazy | Don
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
lol... not sucha bad idea :P

BattleBunny
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Just to let you know: I have the exact same problem here (Windows Vista 64-bit, ATI HD4870, 8GB RAM)

Greg Vederman
01-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Is everyone posting here also submitting a help ticket? That will certainly help. I filed one a few days ago but haven't heard back, likely just because of the Holidays...

-Vede

noctuk
01-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Is everyone posting here also submitting a help ticket? That will certainly help. I filed one a few days ago but haven't heard back, likely just because of the Holidays...

-Vede

Yeah good idea, neilsouth, did you do that too? They could listen if enough people file a ticket.

ZootSuitBryon
01-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Greg Vederman: Are you the are you the (former) PC Gamer editor-in-chief?

Greg Vederman
01-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Greg Vederman: Are you the are you the (former) PC Gamer editor-in-chief?

Yes, although I don't think it'll help us in this situation, as I don't know anyone at GSC Game World anymore. (My relationship with Valve won't help; only GSC can create and release a patch.)

I'll do a little digging and let you guys know what I find, but don't get your hopes up -- this is an "old" game and patches cost real money to make. When I first posted, I was assuming that the existing AGP patch was all we'd need to get up and running...

-Vede

noctuk
01-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Yes, although I don't think it'll help us in this situation, as I don't know anyone at GSC Game World anymore. (My relationship with Valve won't help; only GSC can create and release a patch.)

I'll do a little digging and let you guys know what I find, but don't get your hopes up -- this is an "old" game and patches cost real money to make. When I first posted, I was assuming that the existing AGP patch was all we'd need to get up and running...

-Vede

Exactly how old? Maybe if it's old enough, the developers might consider doing a source code release so that the players might come up with an unofficial patch. ;)

somewhatdamaged
01-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Steam need to take some responsibility for this. They are selling a game that obviously doesn't work on the majority of new systems and they should be posting on this forum and offering refunds or promising the issue will be resolved with a patch asap.

Neilsouth
01-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I posted on the dev forums and got... NO response whatsoever , safe to say this game is a deaden on vista systems :(

xylitar
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I posted on the dev forums and got... NO response whatsoever , safe to say this game is a deaden on vista systems :(

Don't be surprised about that... Valve already has want it wants from you concerning this title : your money... Support costs money, and what will valve be facing for giving bad or no support for this already years old title? My XP in these matters is that when you complain, the max is a standard usual answer for these old titles : "Sorry, not vista compatible. A refund? sorry, not possible. We warn that it isn't vista compatible. You got it before the warning was up or there isn't a warning up yet? Tough luck." Mostly with the usual crap like :"update your drivers."

Not satisfied? Go to court (for a 5 game)...

I don't expect anything from either the devs or valve anymore concerning this title, and certainly not a fix.

As far as sending support tickets, i stopped doing that. It seems they have a good digital shredder with the munchy's, little answers are given, and even less that actually help you.

Don't we all love these responsible company's?

:D

xylitar
01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Exactly how old? Maybe if it's old enough, the developers might consider doing a source code release so that the players might come up with an unofficial patch. ;)

Even IF the devs give out the source code (witch i doubt seriously), a fix could be made, Valve still has to pick it up and let steam support it...

A possible, but unlikey path... Would be nice, but would also take some time. I wouldn't hold my breath on it...

Fastmedic
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I e-mailed GSC and got this response:
>

Hi,

I just bought this game on Steam and there are graphical problems because I believe my graphics card has too much memory.

Here is the post on Steam forums where the problem has been reported.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776502

Do you plan on correcting this?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Yes we now about this problem, soon will be patch to fix this problem. But now I can one, just wait.

--

Greetings from,

Yura Scripal, Support of GSC Game World mailto:support@gsc-game.com"

Neilsouth
01-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Nice one mate :)

Fastmedic
01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5374/gscms9.jpg

Neilsouth
01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Hope it does get fixed it's an awesome game! , had it years ago on xp

Crazy | Don
01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Yea nice one... now all we can do is.. hope :P

noctuk
01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
So this problem only affects windows vista?

Neilsouth
01-10-2009, 04:33 AM
So this problem only affects windows vista?

And windows 7 :)

noctuk
01-10-2009, 01:34 PM
And windows 7 :)

Ah. What if, this is probably a wacky idea, try running the game in an older computer with win98 or something like that, installed? It might work. The steam client probably wont, nonetheless. :o

Neilsouth
01-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't happen to have an old computer anywhere in my house :D

noctuk
01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't happen to have an old computer anywhere in my house :D

Ah, damn. Well, ok, maybe partitioning your computer's HD to make room for a DOS/win9x partition then instead? Or maybe installing win9x virtually with an emulator like virtualbox? It would work as long as that game doesnt need 3D acceleration to run. :)

Crazy | Don
01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
thats kinda alot of work... :P call me lazy

noctuk
01-10-2009, 09:40 PM
thats kinda alot of work... :P call me lazy

Its not that much work. Pretty easy if you ask me, actually. :)

Crazy | Don
01-11-2009, 05:56 AM
Yea but i mean like... if i wanna have TS on and msn etc im gonna have to install all of that aswell. Besides i dont have an older version of windows lying around. I havent even played the game yet so i dont even know if it's worth it or not.

noctuk
01-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Yea but i mean like... if i wanna have TS on and msn etc im gonna have to install all of that aswell. Besides i dont have an older version of windows lying around. I havent even played the game yet so i dont even know if it's worth it or not.

Well, you can run the virtual system in a window, or switch back and forth between the guest and the host with a hotkey, no need to install TS or msn in the guest. These days older versions of windows are really cheap, you can get them for like 10$ or less at some retailers. You might want to look at some screenshots or videos of the game before trying if you havent played it yet, nonetheless. :)

Crazy | Don
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, you can run the virtual system in a window, or switch back and forth between the guest and the host with a hotkey, no need to install TS or msn in the guest. These days older versions of windows are really cheap, you can get them for like 10$ or less at some retailers. You might want to look at some screenshots or videos of the game before trying if you havent played it yet, nonetheless. :)

Well it looked good to start with or i wouldnt have bought it,
ill have a look at it ... im busy with dawn of war now :P maybe by the time im done there will be a patch :P

ZootSuitBryon
01-15-2009, 09:04 PM
So, 12 days later, I finally got a response from Steam support.

You might ask what the response was that took so long to craft...

They replied with a form letter saying to ask the "third party supporter" (GSC Game World) for help.

Thanks, Steam! You're the Best!

noctuk
01-16-2009, 08:15 AM
So, 12 days later, I finally got a response from Steam support.

You might ask what the response was that took so long to craft...

They replied with a form letter saying to ask the "third party supporter" (GSC Game World) for help.

Thanks, Steam! You're the Best!

Indeed! 12 days for to them tell to go annoy someone else! Way to go Valve!! :D:)

Neilsouth
01-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeh right , GSC have been more useless than steam(valve) with this :(

xylitar
01-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Somebody already posted their answer...

"we are aware..... soon... soon... soon..."
;) :cool: ;)

noctuk
01-17-2009, 06:08 AM

Damn, sorry to hear that. I made a typo in my previous post, i meant to say, Valve took 12 days to write a prepackaged form letter telling to go annoy someone else with it. Way to go Gabe!! :)

Neilsouth
01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Somebody already posted their answer...

"we are aware..... 2009... 2010... ..."
;) :cool: ;)

Fixed :p :)

ChrisMcMahon
02-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Well I have the same video error and screen corruption.

I assume Steam still refuses to support its customers with a patch or refund?

noctuk
02-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Well I have the same video error and screen corruption.

I assume Steam still refuses to support its customers with a patch or refund?

You assumed correctly. :)

xylitar
02-09-2009, 08:31 AM
You assumed correctly. :)

Seems valve and/or GSC are making (for them) usefull progress with their customers.. they don't expect support anymore... Right what they want... :D

Crazy | Don
03-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I havent givin up hope yet...

Flame_Master
01-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Crazy don, don't give up hope. I have a mod for this game that uses the HoAe 2 engine. The devs fixed the engine too. So if you want, head out to

http://hoae.ucoz.net/

You can get a "public closed alpha" to test if you want, with that new engine. Anyway, you can get support at that site. :) . Here is hope for those who haven't given up hope...

And also, GSC is the developer of this game. Valve cannot give support I guess.

666head666
04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Guys...There is a fix!!...I've just made it work!!
I have windows 7 64bit 4gb RAM and a ATI4870...the ingame videos dont work but all the rest is fixed...to do this go to the link that flame_master posted it...register and then go to downloads, mods and patches and download the Heroes of Annihilated Empires 3d Patch...Its not really a patch, its just 2 files that you put inside the DATA folder...so follow the instructions in the nfo file and start the game with the "startengine" file, not the normal .exe file...i think this maybe work with the steam version because its not an actual patch...
tnx for the link flame_master!!

666head666
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
or download from here: http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33938282
its the last post

Flame_Master
04-24-2010, 09:08 AM
You are welcome. As for the "In game movies",
Right Click Engine.exe
go to properties
then the compatibility tab
then check "Disable Desktop Composition"
and Apply.
The videos should be visible. :)

dicobalt
05-31-2010, 10:18 AM
You are welcome. As for the "In game movies",
Right Click Engine.exe
go to properties
then the compatibility tab
then check "Disable Desktop Composition"
and Apply.
The videos should be visible. :)

Doesn't look like the patch works anymore. I am guessing it's because of the new Steam? I get this error when trying to start the game:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2168/engineerr.jpg

Flame_Master
07-12-2010, 08:02 AM
I think startengine.exe is meant for Steam. Try the "Rise of Sols" mod if that can help you. Get it from
http://hoae.ucoz.net

:) .

Alkpaz2
07-22-2010, 04:19 AM
All I get is dead links with the Rise of Sols filefront mirror download. Also the first start engine patch thing is a no-go. Just to clarify the game ran perfectly with a 8800 and Win XP 32bit, it wasn't a AGP error, just a Vista/7 error. Guess I' left with a dead game.. eh well.

tonyfordz
12-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I also get the glitched menu with Windows 7 Ultimate both 32 & 64 bit versions as seen in the guys screen shot. I have tried both ATi Radeon X1550 PCI-E 512mb, and ATi Radeon HD4650 1GB PCI-E with latest verions on drivers & so on.

I use to play it fine on Windows XP Pro, and I am redownloading it now after reformating into Windows XP Pro SP3 in hopes I can play it again.

God I will be so pist if it doesnt work in XP now, and there are a few games I have noticed that I can no longer play on steam which most times I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit as I have 4GBs on 1 PC & 16GB on the other so would be a serious waste to use anything else.

Skuggan
01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I've been waiting patiently for a patch to this.

The company that made the game is the ones responsible for it, and therefore I will never buy a game from this developer/publisher again.

It's not steams fault that it doesnt work on Windows 7.

Alkpaz2
03-14-2011, 06:11 PM
The Rise of Sols patch is no longer dead and guess what? It fixes the problem!!! The GAME WORKS! This is confirmed with the hoae-3D-patch, running compatibility mode to disable desktop composition and the Sols patch together. (Windows 7 Pro 64bit) Enjoy!! :)

SigilFey
09-20-2011, 11:31 AM
I've been waiting patiently for a patch to this.

The company that made the game is the ones responsible for it, and therefore I will never buy a game from this developer/publisher again.

It's not steams fault that it doesnt work on Windows 7.

(If you don't want to read all of this just skip to the bottom and follow the bold text.)

1. True, developers are at fault for for the existence of the problem. (But in this case, the developer at fault is Microsoft for coding Windows Vista and 7 with poor backwards compatibility, not the game developers. I owned a copy of this game back in the 90's, and it worked fine on Windows XP.)

2. True, it's not Steam's fault for for the graphical corruption.

BUT, as a profit oriented vendor of software, it is Steam's RESPONSIBILITY to provide functional software. There is a fix for this issue, but it will be interesting to see if Steam fulfills its responsibility to its customers by oficially uploading the neccessary fixes. It is NOT acceptable for Steam to simply ignore the problem...as they have in the past.

I'm keeping tabs on things like this when I find them. It's not about laying blame--it's about fixing the problem. If Steam is going to repeatedly release software that does not function as described, then fail to address the issue in a timely fasion (between 14-30 business days, legally,) or offer refunds for problems that are not fixed in a timely fasion, then they are going to need to be held RESPONSIBLE for their obligations to their customers.

It's disappointing, as I feel that, overall, Steam is a wonderful marketing option for game developers--especially indies. But it's becoming more and more prevalent that poorly supported software is being released, and the issues are not being addressed by the vendor. Steam's view on their responsibility concerning the sale of misadvertised or malfunctioning software can be summed up as:

"You agree to our terms of service when you buy something, so if it doesn't work for you, too bad. Maybe we'll fix it or maybe not. Either way, we're keeping your money, and there's nothing you can do about it."

I think most of the software they release is fine, but if the above happens even ONCE, it's a problem. It needs to be fixed. Steam is a quality vendor for the most part, and it deserves to have quality policies in place for its customers. The problem is not going to be fixed easily, though. The best thing people can do is:

KEEP RECORDS OF SOFTWARE YOU PURCHASE THAT DOES NOT FUNCTION AS DESCRIBED.

REQUEST A REFUND, AND KEEP RECORDS OF THE LACK OF RESPONSE OR DENIAL OF A REFUND BY STEAM.

KEEP TRACK OF FORUM DISCUSSIONS LIKE THIS, AND KEEP RECORDS OF ANY DISCUSSION THREADS THAT ARE LOCKED AND/OR DELETED.

DO NOT BECOME PETTY, ANGRY, OR ABUSIVE. REMAIN FOCUSED AND PROFESSIONAL WHEN ADDRESSING THE ISSUE.

IF REQUESTED, SEND COPIES OF YOUR RECORDS TO THOSE WHO REQUEST IT. FEEL FREE TO DO THIS ANONYMOUSLY. THIS INCLUDES REQUESTS FROM STEAM!

DO NOT EVER THINK THAT YOU ARE HELPLESS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT A COMPANY THAT WRONGFULLY CLAIMED YOUR MONEY.

graspee
02-17-2012, 02:47 PM
So, here we are in 2012. Is the main game patched up and playable in Windows 7 without additional fixes yet? I just tried the demo and it's broken in the same way as the screenshots in this thread (Graphical corruption of menu text).

Necrotropik
03-14-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm running the vanilla version of the game, on both my intel 2700, 6850 GPU and my i7 laptop, both versions work fine, in fact very well. A fun game from years ago, so glad I bought this again me and son will have hours of fun. Nice to have literally thousands of units moving about :)

xzoltan
07-22-2012, 12:41 AM
So, here we are in 2012. Is the main game patched up and playable in Windows 7 without additional fixes yet? I just tried the demo and it's broken in the same way as the screenshots in this thread (Graphical corruption of menu text).

I'm in the same situation. It looked fun, downloaded the demo, can't play. But I assume that since no one actually posted a recent fix for this, it's still not working/patched?