PDA

View Full Version : Solution: Launch errors, .NET errors etc for both M2T and M2TK

gholam_joe
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
This is a lengthy post. Please bear with me, I assure you that by the end of this post you would be in-game.;)

Foolproof method of getting both Medieval 2: Total War (M2T) and Medieval 2: Total War Kindoms (M2TK) to work. This method is an extension of what has been previously posted here.:)

Go to the location where you installed the game or rather where you installed steam.

Steam\steamapps\commmon\medieval ii total war\

In there you should see three .exe files: kingdoms.exe, launcher.exe, medieval2.exe. Before we go any further, backup these
three files, by copy&pasting them in another location.

STEP 1:

To play M2T:

This is essentially the renaming trick that was posted before, to get M2T working. However as it has already been noted it does not work for M2TK. If you've already done this step when you wanted to play M2T, proceed to Step 2.;)

From what has already been posted here,we know that the launcher is what is causing problems. So when you wanted to
play M2T you just
deleted "kingdoms.exe" and "launcher.exe",
then renamed "medieval2.exe" to "launcher.exe"

Which worked,because steam would just launch this renamed "medieval2.exe" file instead of the original problematic "launcher.exe"

STEP 2:

To play M2TK:

Now, the same renaming trick by itself won't work here, because steam wants you to go through the launcher to select which of the four campaigns you want to play. And when you choose M2TK in steam and click launch, it loads up M2T.:mad: It doesn't work in this case, for one because the file you renamed before was "medieval2.exe" which was meant for M2T. To play M2TK, you need to rename the "kingdoms.exe" file.
So,

copy/paste the three .exe files that you backed up before (Pre-STEP 1), back into the game folder (overwrite as necessary)
Now, delete "launcher.exe" and "medieval2.exe".
Then rename "kingdoms.exe" to "launcher.exe".
Within the steam client, my games tab select, M2TK, then right-click, go to properties.
Select "set launch options".

In this field, you can enter one of the following commandlines which would then launch the relevant campaign.

Americas
--features.mod=mods/americas
Britain
--features.mod=mods/british_isles
Crusades
--features.mod=mods/crusades
Teutonic
--features.mod=mods/teutonic

Now when you launch M2TK it will load up whichever commandline option you set it to launch. Please note, that you should always launch M2TK and not M2T. Launching M2T would just give you a splash screen and then crash to desktop.

Finally, the only problem or hassle with this method is that you've to change the commandline everytime you want to play a different campaign. :cool:

Not to mention you can't play M2T, unless you go through Step 1 again.:mad: Or if someone out there can figure out a commandline for M2T as well.:confused:

chemicalade
02-26-2009, 10:55 AM
That solution only works in some cases.

There are other conflicts, particuarly the CA_libs (audio) errors, that cause alot of the startup problems.

After a few days of isolating startup errors, I found the following were causing problems for me -

1. Microsoft ActiveSync; I had this installed as I use a PDA on the PC I play games on (I have a Mac for proper stuff). Uninstalling this halved the amount of startup errors. (I've now got rid of my windows mobile PDA which was a pile of junk anyway, so I didn't need this anymore)

2. Multiple soundcards; I have three soundcards in this machine as it also doubles as an audio recording system with two pro sound cards in it under XP64. (It also has the usual onboard sound card with a nForce based m/b). disabling both these pro-cards and using the on-board sound cleared all the CA_Libs errors.

3. Graphics card; this system has dual SLI 8800 GTS cards in it. Using the latest nvidia drivers, 182 at time of writing PLUS disabling SLI mode, fixed the remaining crashes.

With this machine I have a dual boot setup (both XP64), with a plain audio recording setup on one set of drives, and a gaming setup on the other set (pro-sound disabled).

MTW2 now works for me most of the time, although to run the Kingdoms campaigns I need to create shortcuts as outlined above. I have created quick-launch shortcuts using the command line switches, you don't need to rename if you call kingdoms.exe directly.

This is a great game, but also very buggy at launch, but is fine once you get in-game. I would also recommend installing the Custom Campaign Mod 2 (link (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159078)) which installs fine with steam installs, however you need to use the launcher to run it.

12ToneRooster
06-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I recently reinstalled my OS (windows XP HE). The game/launcher worked fine before then but now the launcher gives the same .NET error as is elsewhere referenced

- .NET Framework: "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close emmediately." Details: Error in the application. 2147220906 (VFW_E_NO_AUDIO_HARDWARE)at Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.Audio.Open(St ring fileName, Boolean autoRun)

Something interesting...when I click continue it says "internet explorer script Error" If I click Yes to continue running scripts on this page, a window titled "Medieval II: TW launcher" shows up with this in a little window:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /export/home2/aparker/htdocs/M2TWLauncher/cgi-bin/Scripts/Tier1/MySQLDriver.php on line 1209

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /export/home2/aparker/htdocs/M2TWLauncher/cgi-bin/Scripts/Tier1/MySQLDriver.php on line 907

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /export/home2/aparker/htdocs/M2TWLauncher/cgi-bin/Scripts/Tier1/MySQLDriver.php on line 1209

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /export/home2/aparker/htdocs/M2TWLauncher/cgi-bin/Scripts/Tier1/MySQLDriver.php on line 907

I tried the renaming trick and now when I attempt to start up the game it gives me a steam format message "This game is currently unnavailable". As far as I know I have .Net v. 2.0,3.0, and 3.5 all downloaded, and I think my directX stuff is up to date.

:confused:Many thanks to anyone who can give me some direction.

booz562
06-23-2009, 05:15 AM
i want to play the third age lotr mod but i can't figure a way to do it please help em find a solution

hatemf90
09-28-2009, 04:54 AM
I had the same problem as 12ToneRooster, when I launched M2TW it promoted me to install directx, I didnt cause I had the latest version, just updated a few hours ago, but when I run directx setup from M2TW directory it solved that problem.

should add that as another way to solve the problem.

now I have another problem...

"a fatal graphics error, this is caused by having your game graphics option set too high pls try running game again and lowering your graphics"

Any ideas?

powaqqatsi
10-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the writeup, but I think changing the launch options every time isn't good enough of a fix for me.

I had this game on Vista x64 and it was working fine. I've upgraded (with clean OS install) to Win7 x64 and now I am seeing all the .NET errors that people are talking about.

One of the mods here advised a different user to install the .NET 3.0 redistributable package to fix the issue. I tried doing that, but it just gives an error saying "You must add this using the 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' control panel".

So I went to turn it on/off there, but it had no option for .NET 3.0, only 3.5, which was already installed anyway.

I remember I had this issue on Vista at first but somehow I fixed it, wish I could remember what I had to do (or if it was just a steam update that fixed it?).

Here's how I fixed it (sorta):

I went to the following link to reinstall the DirectX end-user runtimes:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3

Now, I don't get any directx or .NET errors. The launcher opens and everything on it looks fine except for the "News" and "Polls" frame, those have some mysql errors listed in them, which I think are serverside errors from Create Assembly, not from my machine. There's a script error that pops up (probably erroring because the news/polls frame dont have expected elements in them). (See screenshot (http://i33.tinypic.com/sq2la0.jpg))

So it's not perfect, you have to dismiss one error dialog, you can't see the news or the polls, but you can play the actual game just fine :)

mdgrim
02-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for posting this. It will get the job done until steam does something about this ^^

Viralrush
02-14-2010, 01:49 AM
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
Error in the application.
-2147220927 (VFW_E_CANNOT_LOAD_SOURCE_FILTER)
at Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.Audio.Open(St ring fileName, Boolean autoRun)
at Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.Audio..ctor(S tring fileName, Boolean autoRun)
at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.ApplySkins()
at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LoadSkins()
at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LoadLauncher()
at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LauncherMainForm_Load(Ob ject sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Mess age& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage (Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(M essage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2443
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Launcher
Assembly Version: 1.0.2669.20298
Win32 Version: 1.0.2669.20298
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/launcher.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2443
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
CoreLib
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/CoreLib.DLL
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
SkinLib
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/SkinLib.DLL
AxInterop.SHDocVw
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/AxInterop.SHDocVw.DLL
Interop.SHDocVw
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/Interop.SHDocVw.DLL
Accessibility
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/accessibility/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/accessibility.dll
UpdateLib
CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/UpdateLib.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.directx.audiovideoplayback/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/microsoft.directx.audiovideoplayback.dll
Microsoft.DirectX
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.directx/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/microsoft.directx.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

Still getting the same errors. No work arounds seem to help.

ultralien
06-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Sorry for a noob question, but by doing this will this put your Steam account's VAC in danger by modifying the .exe ? https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-RADZ-6869

Jakkar
06-22-2010, 01:42 AM
Thankye kindly - you allowed me an enjoyable morning of Welsh Conquest ^_^

mickey_megabyte
07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
thank you sir, you helped me play my game.

OisinLoke
10-22-2010, 05:52 PM
I dub thee, sir, willing of a rep

Delta21
11-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Sure...I can play the game now, but is there any way of actually fixing the problem? Did anyone from Steam have to say anything about this error?

Lanxs
12-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks, This fixed my problem!

OisinLoke
01-21-2011, 12:25 PM
This should be made sticky.

Martin The Mess
02-14-2011, 09:54 AM
The first-post solution from this thread indeed enabled me to play M2TW Kingdoms...but after a while, I wanted to go back to plain old M2TW. Unfortunately, when I tried to start a new game and clicked on "Single Player" and then "Imperial Campaign", I got an error message requesting that I "Choose an item from the list". I exited the game and checked the game files...and I'm missing my descr_strat.txt file with all the scenario data. Oh crap.

Okay, so I modified it a bit to tweak the starting cash of some of the factions, but I did such minor modifications and I've gotten so experienced at this since also playing around with the data files for original MTW and RTW that I didn't bother making a backup copy. So now that the modified version has mysteriously disappeared, I can't play the game. Oh, I can open old savegame files just fine, but I can't start a new campaign game.

Doing "verify game cache" through steam takes hours, perhaps days (tried it already). Anyone know an easy way to just download that file from steam, or could someone email me a copy of their unmodified descr_strat.txt file? My email is in my profile.

EDIT: Got it from a friend. Working again. Thanks again to the guy who started the thread

mrc390
03-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I can't find the kingdoms exe. There are some files in my medieval 2 mod folder though that have the names of the four campaigns

OisinLoke
08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm going to bump this for other people to see.

zellman
11-13-2011, 04:00 PM
So it has been almost three years since this problem started happening and Steam still hasn't fixed their issue? and they are still selling this game?

What the world?:mad:

bewilderedronin
12-14-2011, 11:22 AM
It's not up to Steam, it's up to Creative Assembly and SEGA.

LethalFinch
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
It's not up to Steam, it's up to Creative Assembly and SEGA.

Normally I'd accept this as a fair statement, but absolutely not in this case.

I had M2TW Gold on disc up until 2 weeks ago when they were wrecked (left them in the sunlight through my bedroom window:o). The launcher worked absolutely fine other than the music continuing to play. But you could at least use it to launch which ever Kingdoms campaign you wish to.

Steam app on the other hand, absolutely refuses to launch the Launcher application. It's down right discusting. There are many other games that have launchers that steam will run just fine. So why not this one too?

No one who has purchased these titles from steam should be so forgiving. that's how issues such as these never get fixed and go on forever :mad:

polistus
01-06-2012, 01:29 AM
This is totally unacceptable. I'm going to post a ticket to Steam support for fixing the .NET errors and get their attention as soon as it becomes available again. If you are also displeased do the same! They know how to charge money but cannot address this in three years' time! Baffling!!! :(

LethalFinch
01-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I just wanted to share this with everyone:

After doing a clean re-install of Windows and only the newest drivers (due to problems with other software/games I was having, along with some registry errors,) the Launcher.exe actually works for me now and I can even use it to launch any of the Kingdoms expansion campaigns.

Now what we can all learn from this example is that shuffling around the EXE files (Launcher.exe, medieval2.exe, & kingdoms.exe) like their a deck of cards, and typing in all sorts of launch commands with in the steam client is NOT A FIX. It is merely a work pain in the but work around that ignores the real problem and does not fix anything.

I know these games have been out for a while, but anyone who profited from our purchasing these titles really should be working on a fix for this. The solution that's presnented in this thread isn't even a reliable solution since there are times when campaign menus are inaccessible with in the Kingdoms expansions.

Nurgle523
01-29-2012, 12:40 AM
I just bought this game and it's downloading. If it doesn't work I am going to get a refund.