PDA

View Full Version : Steam browser

KENNY_BIBZ
01-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Since steam uses IE for it integrated browser, I was wondering if there was a way you could use the integrated browser through the in-game overlay to visit websites? It would be nice to surf the web while you wait for the next round :D

Also I don't know if this has been suggested already but steam should allow some type of plug in for instant messengers while in-game, that way you don't have to minimize when talking on aim or msn. Sort of integrating Trillian into the current friends list.

m4ster
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Try activate steam beta in settings..

>>>> http://i41.tinypic.com/2r3gzrq.jpg

Freyar
01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Is there any way to be able to redirect it to firefox or something? Security issues are starting to get more worrysome.

((I know the answer is no, I'm just putting the desire here.))

Kailieann
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Valve have stated that they'd like to move to a different rendering engine someday.

786Fighter
01-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Since steam uses IE for it integrated browser, I was wondering if there was a way you could use the integrated browser through the in-game overlay to visit websites? It would be nice to surf the web while you wait for the next round :D

Also I don't know if this has been suggested already but steam should allow some type of plug in for instant messengers while in-game, that way you don't have to minimize when talking on aim or msn. Sort of integrating Trillian into the current friends list.

The browser is already made and you can access it from the steam beta. As for the instant messengers, just go on http://www.ebuddy.com/ or http://www.meebo.com/ while in game on the web browser and you can sign on any instant messenger from there.

-Mew-
01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Why cant steam use Firefox as a base or something... last thing i want is browsing with IE...

Kailieann
01-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Valve have stated that they'd like to move to a different rendering engine someday.

MikeBlaszczak
01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Why cant steam use Firefox as a base or something... last thing i want is browsing with IE...Installation requirements, troubleshooting, stability, features, and so on.

KENNY_BIBZ
01-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I LOVE YOU GUYS:D:D:D:D

Zr40
01-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Installation requirements, troubleshooting, stability, features, and so on.
You know that IE is worse than other layout engines in most of these regards?

ReBoot
01-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Is there any way to be able to redirect it to firefox or something? Security issues are starting to get more worrysome.

((I know the answer is no, I'm just putting the desire here.))Which security issues? The one Mozilla have listed to promote FF?

Metal-Geo
01-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Why not use Webkit, Valve? Easy, stable, fast as hell and loved by most (if not all) web designers. :D
(It's also the first engine to reach 100/100 on Acid3 \o/)

Kailieann
01-13-2009, 08:55 AM

Does anyone else hear an echo in this thread?

ReBoot
01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
IE will maybe move to Webkit too. But I bet that won't stop the flamers just because it's still IE.

MikeBlaszczak
01-13-2009, 10:00 AM
You know that IE is worse than other layout engines in most of these regards?

Actually, I know that it isn't. IE is on every windows box; we don't have to write an installer for it, or write code that reacts to it not being installed. Testing that fail-back code, and testing the in-client features of FF, are a burden we can't afford right now. FF doesn't have a containment model like IE does, so we simply can't use it until FF provides one.

And so on.

We're looking at alternatives, but I don't think offering a user-chosen browser within the client is going to be one of them.

ReBoot
01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I just hope that if Steam would get an embedded HTML renderer, it would either offer all contest menu options one might need or (better) a possibility to extend it like it's currently possible.

Wubbles
10-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Has nobody even heard of opera? I'm not saying it needs to be integrated into steam, but as far as features go it is a lot better than firefox even and had tabs long before other browsers did. Opera does have display issues on some websites, but firefox tends to have protocol problems that can even make it unusable unless you find out how to turn them off. (Opera is also used in stuff like phones, DS, Wii). I'm not a fan-boy but don't overlook this. IE does have some security problems but they have been making some effort to make it better.

Anyway steam could probably make a pretty cool custom browser (play some mini-games while waiting for a server to start).

shuy3n
10-15-2009, 07:48 AM
what about us European windows 7 users who choose not to install the crapbox that is i.e (http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/12/microsoft-no-ie-included-with-european-windows-7/)

ReBoot
10-15-2009, 08:18 AM
what about us European windows 7 users who choose not to install the crapbox that is i.e (http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/12/microsoft-no-ie-included-with-european-windows-7/)Grow up and start describing things instead of adding your opinion to everything. FYI: the IE is uninstallable no matter the version. And FIY: it doesn't matter. The HTML rendering component won't get uninstalled.