PDA

View Full Version : Steam Downtime Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78

oobievision
01-05-2012, 09:32 AM
my steam still wont launch. I took the clientregistry.blob out steam found it and replaced it but same issue wont start.

Sepulchritude
01-05-2012, 09:34 AM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2460819

I just posted a separate thread about steam not starting up before I saw this one. Anyone else having the same type of problems as me?

chibi_charon
01-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Yesterday's terrible fail made me think it was 2004 all over again. What happened to my robust and reliable gaming platform! The worst part was, I didn't notice at first, so now I'm in that annoying stage of having the game I was playing think it awarded me achievements which my profile denies... sigh.
Not to mention the HL2.exe crash has returned with a vengeance. This last year has seen Steam's stability plummet down to the kind of thing I'd expect from EA. Even the forums are rapidly becoming a joke with the endless stream of 503 errors every two minutes.

Son. I am disappoint.

Also. I have the exact opposite error of the non startup. I have the non-closure! Thank god the exit now button actually works or I'd be forever stuck in synching with steam cloud limbo.

smoke2joints77
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Wow, I love going back and reading the old posts after any downtime of any service, not just Steam. So it was down for a few hours, no big deal. In order to keep things running smoothly and securely, servers and related things need to be taken down once in awhile for maintenance, and sometimes things break. It does happen. Even the most effiecient machines on earth sometimes break down.

Anyways, big ups to Sierra Oscar for keeping us as informed as he could.

Think Again (http://www.uptimeprj.com/toplist/index/en/0-30/UZD/) :rolleyes:.

I'm a mechanical engineer, trust me, EVERYTHING breaks down sooner or later.

Khirsah01
01-05-2012, 10:07 PM

"Anything that can go wrong, will". Right?

Shaneluls39199
01-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Any1 else not getting dungeon defenders or RAGE to launch??

no news on here or the sister downtime thread

ninjafiren
01-06-2012, 09:54 AM
"Anything that can go wrong, will". Right?

Murphy s Law applies to Steam as well:p

StaunchGamers
01-07-2012, 01:47 PM

Alright. Waiting for years now the mentioned Servers to break down.

MikeBlaszczak
01-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Think Again (http://www.uptimeprj.com/toplist/index/en/0-30/UZD/) :rolleyes:.That's one of the dumbest sites I've ever seen.

terminater_x
01-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah well for my country it is not working as if the entire server is down what is going on is this a prank or what because everyone is getting a no internet connection message and there is no update ever and I'm not the only one that is having this issue everyone I know is so the question is why update if it's gonna crash an entire countries server or what ever has happened .This update has done nothing but spoil the new years joy on everyone .

jirva
01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
down :(

discofficere
yep.. down.

fyiiamaheavy
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2473812

Cipe
Was about to fight a boss on Dungeon Defenders, and then Steam went down :(

Etrud
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Hehhehe YourAdHere...Hm??

Chewy1.2

Funny, I was just about to start a map when Steam died.

Centy

Ditto. I really am quite furious it took us hours and all gone in an instant because Steam can't keep some bloody servers up for more than a few hours at a time.

writinguy

I noticed that Dungeon Defenders came up a lot whenever we have an outage.

And then it happened to me. Was about to enter the last round of the Halloween Spooktacular.

postalpostal3
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
15th wave survival on Dungeon Defenders. 3 hours....

kbm404
01-10-2012, 05:20 PM

Monster fest here.. I'm sad.

1337W422102
...and it's down again.

ImdurC
Yup, Dungeon Defenders. After some rough starts, we got our strategy right and were very close to the last wave. Boom...steam goes down.

And now we're left wondering what we can play together. Except, that seems to be almost nothing because most of it is linked through steam somehow. :confused:

venomblade89
01-10-2012, 05:21 PM
down for me

Sierra Oscar
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
This is scheduled maintenance.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28403702&postcount=373

We'll be updating some of the Steam servers Tuesday January 10th, 2011 around 16:00 PST (GMT-8). Chat, game lobbies, and the community web site will be affected. Content downloads and game play should not be affected. Downtime is expected to be short.

cfl565656
The download server is still up so i can download my games to my new computer :)

Centy
I noticed that Dungeon Defenders came up a lot whenever we have an outage.

Because it's an instant disconnect, no way to save and it can take hours to get places. TF2, Killing Floor etc they stay up as long as you keep playing.

They really need to make the game keep running when Steam, frequently, goes down or offer some kind of quick save feature.

Or perhaps Valve could just get their act together.

Soupias
01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Was about to play some Deus Ex and.... cannot sync your savegames with steam cloud... if you play the game you might lose the progress. I guess I am off to bed earlier than expected!

HUNDsen
01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
i was thinking about buying dd as it looks really cool, but everytime steam dies down i read how many hours u guys spent fighting just to get a disconnect right b4 the end, so i think i wont...

Onyx3173
01-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Still doesn't make it much less annoying though. Nothing like being mid-conversation every single time Steam goes down for maintenance.

UberTrevor
01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
I should be studying for tomorrows state tests. . . But, I'm procrastinating like usual. . . Maybe Steam downtime might help. . . Or not because I still have the forums :mad:

Protoss
01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Gameplay should not be affected? Well, it IS affected because the Steam Cloud is unavailable.

alexUW
01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Was about to play some Deus Ex and.... cannot sync your savegames with steam cloud... if you play the game you might lose the progress. I guess I am off to bed earlier than expected!

OMG! Were in the same boat! Was going to also play some Deus Ex, but no steam cloud sync! :D

writinguy
01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Again, I know this has been suggested, but could we please get the reports about the scheduled downtimes as popups like the sales/new release information or have that information be part of the twitter stream?

GCountach
01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Was playing Saints Row: The Third in co-op with a friend. Second maintenance started, our game ended. Sorry, valve, but gameplay was affected.

VarietyCZ
"Downtime is expected to be short."

whats short time?

capttomato
so this is why i cant play dungeon defenders heh

Centy
01-10-2012, 05:30 PM

> "We'll be updating some of the Steam servers Tuesday January 10th, 2011 around 16:00 PST (GMT-8). Chat, game lobbies, and the community web site will be affected. Content downloads and game play should not be affected. Downtime is expected to be short."

If you are really suggesting that we should all come to the forums before playing a game to make sure we will be able to finish it before we all get thrown off Steam then you sir, are a crazy person.

How about Valve employ some method of delivering a message to the actual Steam client in advance. Many MMOs do this when servers have planned down time. They have the capability already with the notification system for group events or to advertise new games.

Dungeon Defenders is killed while Steam is down there's no way to play with ranked characters and any progress is wiped. It's ridiculous that after all these years no one at Valve has thought that they should be putting out service wide announcements about this. Far too many games now use Steamworks for this level of unprofessionalism to continue.

Ataraxis420
01-10-2012, 05:31 PM
These downtime announcements should be made earlier then just an hour before it's supposed to start.

Maybe implementing a feature that would just send a global Steam message to every logged in user would help a lot. That way people know if they can start their match of Dungeon Defenders, or if they'll be able to play a Steam Cloud enabled game at that time.

Damnit, ninja'd.

Blade bro4
You'd think that a monopoly that owns the entire online computing business would have more skill at running something that doesn't go down twice a week. Such a disappointing service and nothing we can do about it. I can't wait for the day that another service rivals this one. Steam will fall in a day.

Damped
Love how they say game play won't be affected, yet I can't play none of my games.

Stratagem
It also affects Dota 2:it won't load anything without a connection. I just left a game because my family needed me to do mapquest for them over the phone(hopelessly lost :P) and then I couldn't get back into the game I had to leave to do it.

I hope my teammates aren't screwed now D;

blax
"Downtime is expected to be short."

whats short time?

"In six months"

Source: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

Cipe
Again, I know this has been suggested, but could we please get the reports about the scheduled downtimes as popups like the sales/new release information or have that information be part of the twitter stream?

There is already a twitter account that announces downtimes https://twitter.com/#!/Steam_Support

PsYcHo126
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Had an epic battle in Shogun 2... and then... connection lost :| :D

Onyx3173
How about Valve employ some method of delivering a message to the actual Steam client in advance. Many MMOs do this when servers have planned down time. They have the capability already with the notification system for group events or to advertise new games.
It's been suggested numerous times but as of yet Valve hasn't listened.
These downtime announcements should be made earlier then just an hour before it's supposed to start.
This announcement was made like yesterday though?

bigwoof
taking down servers during high volume hours? you have got to be kidding me. cant they update at, i dont know, at 3am? part of what they do is provide a service, and steam is absolutely terrible at it. do you see netflix servers down at peak hours? do you see amazon servers down at prime hours? no, because that would be a really dumb thing to do and irritate tons of their consumers. steam hass a diverse userbase, its time they treated it like one instead of children privileged to use their drm

Mutilator7
You'd think that a monopoly that owns the entire online computing business would have more skill at running something that doesn't go down twice a week. Such a disappointing service and nothing we can do about it. I can't wait for the day that another service rivals this one. Steam will fall in a day.

Scheduled routine maintenance is the reason Steam is the best in the online distribution service. They are even nice enough to tell people when the service is going to be down, and it's rarely for very long.

Hexenwulf
01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Well ... you probably shouldn't say things like 'game play will not be affected' when disconnecting from the friends network and steam cloud prevent you from playing some of the games (read: just about every game anyone cares about since that's a new-ish feature).

I don't mind downtime ... but seriously ... don't lie to people

Sierra Oscar
If you are really suggesting that we should all come to the forums before playing a game to make sure we will be able to finish it before we all get thrown off Steam then you, sir, are a crazy person.

Would you believe that you do not actually need to even visit the forums! Subscribe to the thread, select to receive email notification for that specific thread when posts are made - and you have information on downtime without having to continually visit the forum.

It may not be perfect, but at least you will not be entirely surprised by downtime.

Well ... you probably shouldn't say things like 'game play will not be affected' when disconnecting from the friends network and steam cloud prevent you from playing some of the games (read: just about every game anyone cares about since that's a new-ish feature).

I don't mind downtime ... but seriously ... don't lie to people

Do you think the person who posted the downtime notification intentionally lied to you in order to spoil your entire day? It is more likely that the game play aspect of the downtime was unexpected.

taking down servers during high volume hours? you have got to be kidding me. cant they update at, i dont know, at 3am? part of what they do is provide a service, and steam is absolutely terrible at it. do you see netflix servers down at peak hours? do you see amazon servers down at prime hours? no, because that would be a really dumb thing to do and irritate tons of their consumers. steam hass a diverse userbase, its time they treated it like one instead of children privileged to use their drm

Do you recognise that Steam is a worldwide service? The downtime is always going to be at an inconvenient time for a significant proportion of the userbase.

ctb
Back (UK) 00:33am

carlh267
Wave 15 of a Dungeon Defenders map... seems that every time I try to go for that damn giraffe I get some problem. :(

Also

Would you believe that you do not actually need to even visit the forums! Subscribe to the thread, select to receive email notification for that specific thread when posts are made - and you have information on downtime without having to continually visit the forum.

It may not be perfect, but at least you will not be entirely surprised by downtime.

Pwned.

Tomasso
01-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Scheduled routine maintenance is the reason Steam is the best in the online distribution service. They are even nice enough to tell people when the service is going to be down, and it's rarely for very long.

Its nice of them to let us know, its just that it seems they have "maintenance" every day :rolleyes:

Fire_Gryphon
Content downloads and game play should not be affected.

Except for all those games that require steam connections, such as ranked Dungeon Defenders. :P

Damped
Alright guys just go to settings & untick cloud sync. It should work so you can play your games.

Onyx3173
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
You rarely see those sites down at all actually. Meaning that there has to be some way Valve could do maintenance in the background without shoving everyone offline for god knows how long every week.

You still have to check your email often though. Many people such as myself only check their email once or twice a day.

carlh267
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Back for me.

forceNet
taking down servers during high volume hours? you have got to be kidding me. cant they update at, i dont know, at 3am?
you're aware of existence of this mystical concept called "timezones" right?

when you look here (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/) you'll find out the user count is actually much closer to its daily minimum than the opposite.

GCountach

Umm? I'm looking at the link posted earlier (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28403702&postcount=373) and I see it was posted a good 26 hours in advance.

Still, it wasn't til I couldn't play any games I realized it. While valve may not think so, expecting people to create a forum account so they can then subscribe to a thread they have to be told exists in the first place is too much to ask. Communication on whether or not I will be able to play the games I played for shouldn't be so cloak-and-dagger when sales pre-order announcements are so in-your-face. The end result will just be people who, not visiting these forums and looking for these topics, will just write off Steam has unreliable. Given the competition out there, that seems like a bad idea to put in peoples head.

NabeGewell
steam goes down more often than a hooker with cerebral palsy.

DomPUNto
Alright guys just go to settings & untick cloud sync. It should work so you can play your games.

wrong

Sierra Oscar

The downtime announcement was made two days ago, not just one hour before it began.

Onyx3173
Do you think the person who posted the downtime notification intentionally lied to you in order to spoil your entire day? It is more likely that the game play aspect of the downtime was unexpected.
It's a well known fact that it DOES affect gameplay of certain games so claiming that it shouldn't is, in fact, lying.

Tomasso
steam goes down more often than a hooker with cerebral palsy.

LOL! :)

DomPUNto
01-10-2012, 05:37 PM
you're aware of existence of this mystical concept called "timezones" right?

when you look here (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/) you'll find out the user count is actually much closer to its daily minimum than the opposite.

no one cares about the other 23 time zones

quinnmiester88
well I guess i'll just play minecraft >.<

Hexenwulf

Oh please, I'm not actually upset about it.
It's steam downtime, it'll last like ten minutes.

I'm just saying that if you can't see a friend-server disconnect affecting gameplay when the server authorizes players through the friend-server in the first place ... you might just want to leave subtle reassurances aside and emphasize that the downtime is short.

Undying Zombie
01-10-2012, 05:38 PM
> "We'll be updating some of the Steam servers Tuesday January 10th, 2011 around 16:00 PST (GMT-8). Chat, game lobbies, and the community web site will be affected. Content downloads and game play should not be affected. Downtime is expected to be short."

If you are really suggesting that we should all come to the forums before playing a game to make sure we will be able to finish it before we all get thrown off Steam then you sir, are a crazy person.

Dungeon Defenders is killed while Steam is down there's no way to play with ranked characters and any progress is wiped. It's ridiculous that after all these years no one at Valve has thought that they should be putting out service wide announcements about this. Far too many games now use Steamworks for this level of unprofessionalism to continue.

Maybe implementing a feature that would just send a global Steam message to every logged in user would help a lot. That way people know if they can start their match of Dungeon Defenders, or if they'll be able to play a Steam Cloud enabled game at that time.

Damnit, ninja'd.

This x1,000. While I have not been as uptight about the downtime as some other people. I do agree that this needs to be handled a lot better than it is. More advance warring about scheduled maintenance, and an actual announcement through steam itself, since most people wont be constantly checking the forums and/or their emails in the first place even if they do subscribe to the proper thread.

Even more so since like one person I quoted mentioned, its often announced 1 hour and sometimes just 30 min before the servers go down.. be kind of hard pressed to find people who got the email before they got on to use steam.

Thankfully this time the downtime was not that long, but still. Making these adjustments would go a long ways with people... and they are really minor adjustments when you think about it.

DomPUNto
The downtime announcement was made two days ago, not just one hour before it began.

where?

under the kitty litter?

shouldn't that be on one of the blurbs that pop up every time you exit a game?

ctb
steam goes down more often than a hooker with cerebral palsy.+rep

5char

robdijo
Typical Steam servers - hardly ever work well and lately the pings have been terrible. I urge everyone to host the games on their local computers. A cable modem is probably just as good!

Detromaniac
:rolleyes:
cloud computing is a way for companies to have greater control over access to software. if the regulation systems are down the software becomes largely unavailable. it is a critical flaw in architecture that can not be fully addressed so long as regulated access to software is a priority.

truth be told the portability argument for cloud computing is a totally moot one. the business archetype is designed to be restrictive on the consumer. what is it we are really paying for? the software? or simply access to it?

i'm not saying what valve does is bad. as far as large companies go they have been exceptionally even handed. what i state is that there are a great many caveats about the cloud computing model that have yet to see proper consideration by those who employ it, and just as importantly, by those who subscribe to its use.

Onyx3173
01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh please, I'm not actually upset about it.
It's steam downtime, it'll last like ten minutes.
It is always poorly timed for someone who lives in Valve's timezone such as myself. For example I was mid-conversation with a Swedish online friend when Steam went down and it was right as they were getting ready to go to bed so our conversation was cut short and they're now in bed.

Basiclife
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Do you recognise that Steam is a worldwide service? The downtime is always going to be at an inconvenient time for a significant proportion of the userbase.

I appreciate you're going for a balanvced point of view and I respect it but I'm afraid that's just not true - Valve doesn't use a single server worldwide, they have multiple servers in multiple farms - The sensible thing to do would be to roll updates. Failing that, why pick mid afternoon in the US and evening in the UK for an update?

I work as a software developer for a large multinational and although we have glitches (who doesn't?), taking the global network down more than once a week is absolutely unacceptable for us. We handle a LOT of time-critical and important processes so we have to design the systems to be robust, always-on, etc...

Frankly, this stinks of shoddy programming or shoddy planning.

Sierra Oscar
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
You still have to check your email often though. Many people such as myself only check their email once or twice a day.

OK, well many users now have emails pushed directly to their own personal devices whilst many more check their emails quite often throughout the day.

Considering downtime notifications are made a few days in advance usually, checking your email once or twice a day would be sufficient time for you to realize downtime was incoming.

Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to claim that downtime is inconvenient. I myself would like to see some sort of integrated downtime warning into the Steam client itself.

However I just do not buy into the whole argument that scheduled maintenance lasting a few minutes, which is in fact announced in advance for those who wish to keep informed, is as life threatening as some make it out to be. Thats just my own personal opinion! :)

I appreciate you're going for a balanvced point of view and I respect it but I'm afraid that's just not true - Valve doesn't use a single server worldwide, they have multiple servers in multiple farms - The sensible thing to do would be to roll updates. Failing that, why pick mid afternoon in the US and evening in the UK for an update?

Don't wish to sound sharp, but you probably know as little about the detailed setup of the Steam infrastructure as the rest of us.

DomPUNto
01-10-2012, 05:42 PM
ok back up, ta ta

i will be on the forums next down time.....

/sarcasm

Sierra Oscar
01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
where?

under the kitty litter?

shouldn't that be on one of the blurbs that pop up every time you exit a game?

Undoubtedly, I agree. There should be a more widespread and prominent method of alerting Steam users to possible maintenance without the users having to be visitors of these forums.

But to state that the downtime announcement was only made one hour before the mainteance is dishonest.

DomPUNto
01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
However I just do not buy into the whole argument that scheduled maintenance lasting a few minutes, which is in fact announced in advance for those who wish to keep informed, is as life threatening as some make it out to be. Thats just my own personal opinion! :)

and like smelly BEhinds everyone has their own opinion

again

where are these announcements made?

and it would seem prudent to have integrated notification if for no other reason that to keep the people that only come to whine during downtime away......

Onyx3173
01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
OK, well many users now have emails pushed directly to their own personal devices whilst many more check their emails quite often throughout the day.
Most people I know don't have anything other than a PC to check email and only check it once or twice a day like me.
Considering downtime notifications are made a few days in advance usually, checking your email once or twice a day would be sufficient time for you to realize downtime was incoming.
Totally wrong. 90% of the time we are lucky to get more than an hour's notice. This time where we got a full day or two of notice is actually very unusual compared to normal.
Don't get me wrong - I am trying to claim that downtime is inconvenient. I myself would like to see some sort of integrated downtime warning into the Steam client itself.

The issue is the fact that it's very inconveniently timed for people in many time zones and there has to be a better way of handling it than just shoving everyone offline at once no matter what. And as for it only lasting a few minutes, I don't know how long it lasts for you but it always lasts a minimum of 20 minutes for myself and everyone I know. And often times it's closer to 40-50 minutes.

The fact that Valve for seemingly no reason only announces downtime through non-Steam methods only makes it even more inconvenient when maintenance happens because most people don't even see the message until after Steam has already gone down which basically verifies that it's maintenance and not their own internet connection.

Sierra Oscar
01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
and like smelly BEhinds everyone has their own opinion

again

where are these announcements made?

and it would seem prudent to have integrated notification if for no other reason that to keep the people that only come to whine during downtime away......

There is a link to where they are made on the very first page of this thread. The thread in question is also a sticky thread on this forum.

The thread is also the first result in Google when you search for "Steam downtime".

forceNet
01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Totally wrong. 90% of the time we are lucky to get more than an hour's notice. This time where we got a full day or two of notice is actually very unusual compared to normal.
so what you think Valve are keeping the info to themselves on purpose and sometimes making announcements closer to the downtime just to spite the users, laughing maniacally in the meantime?
as soon as they know there will be a downtime they announce it, you can't really expect them to announce it -before- they know it right?

Sierra Oscar
01-10-2012, 05:54 PM

You clearly picked that "90% of the time" statement out of thin air, as when you go back over the actual downtime announcements in the thread you can clearly see that the vast majority of announcements are made at least nine hours before the downtime actually occurring. The facts are in the thread, as each post is time and date stamped.

Its not perfect, but at least there is some sort of warning system in place unlike certain other distribution clients. Hopefully a more prominent warning system will be implemented and made available to users if they so wish to be notified.

DomPUNto
01-10-2012, 05:54 PM
There is a link to where they are made on the very first page of this thread. The thread in question is also a sticky thread on this forum.

The thread is also the first result in Google when you search for "Steam downtime".

:o ouch! lol ty for the info

Sierra Oscar
01-10-2012, 05:57 PM
In anycase, the current downtime has ended. :)

Servers are back up and functioning normally.

Also, I'm still messing up the year in my checkbook, too.

Onyx3173
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
so what you think Valve are keeping the info to themselves on purpose and sometimes making announcements closer to the downtime just to spite the users, laughing maniacally in the meantime?
as soon as they know there will be a downtime they announce it, you can't really expect them to announce if -before- they know it right?
Where did I say that they're keeping the times to themselves on purpose? I never once implied that. All I said is that they typically don't announce maintenance very far in advance.
You clearly picked that "90% of the time" statement out of thin air, as when you go back over the actual downtime announcements in the thread you can clearly see that the vast majority of announcements are made at least nine hours before the downtime actually occurring. The facts are in the thread, as each post is time and date stamped.

Its not perfect, but at least there is some sort of warning system in place unlike certain other distribution clients. Hopefully it is something which will be built upon over the coming year.
Yeah, I clearly did. It's not like I'm going to waste the time to go back and calculate the exact percentage since no one cares. I was just pointing out that your claim of maintenance being announced typically more than a day in advance was incorrect. Since I have been subscribed to the downtime thread, it seems to have typically been 4-6 hours in advance, sometimes up to 8 hours and sometimes as little as a single hour. This one time is the only time I've personally seen it be announced more than 12 hours in advance.

Centy
01-10-2012, 05:59 PM
There is already a twitter account that announces downtimes https://twitter.com/#!/Steam_Support

That requires checking Twitter which is no different that checking the forums really.

It's been suggested numerous times but as of yet Valve hasn't listened.

Well then no amount of constructive discussion or crying like a ♥♥♥♥♥ from me will aid anything so it looks like anyone reading this thread will have to put up with my little rant then :)

Thing is, Steam isn't just a distribution service anymore, since Steamworks they are also providing the community side of other games. When the majority of my multiplayer games require Steam to be online and working it's hard to think of them fondly as I sit staring impotently at a list of games I am being prevented from playing.

How is checking my email any different from checking the thread?

I can fully see what you are saying but ultimately it doesn't address the situation. This is the digital equivalent of wrapping it in electrical tape instead of fixing it.

Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to claim that downtime is inconvenient. I myself would like to see some sort of integrated downtime warning into the Steam client itself.

Surely you have more contact with the people developing Steam than we do and if not they will likely pay more attention to the mods alerting them to things than just the rest of us lowly forum users. Perhaps there should be a improved method for suggesting feature for Steam than posting in the suggestion board for it to be likely ignored.

No one is suggesting that it's life threatening that would be beyond mad but it is incredibly frustrating especially when you have limited gaming time with certain friends and all the games you want to play are unable to be played in multiplayer or in some cases at all.

Granted downtime is always going to happen and I fully understand the time-zone arguments and it's not even the Steam service going down that bothers me it's how many games have their entire multiplayer or even singleplayer tied to it in such a way that they become inaccessible as well.

Don't wish to sound sharp, but you probably know as little about the detailed setup of the Steam infrastructure as the rest of us.

I can assure you that this is in fact the case. But then again I am not paid to understand it and I don't take millions of dollars from people for a service either.

Sierra Oscar
01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Surely you have more contact with the people developing Steam than we do and if not they will likely pay more attention to the mods alerting them to things than just the rest of us lowly forum users.

I have made the suggestion on a few occasions myself. I am a Steam user myself, do you think I want to frustrate my own experience of the service?

How is checking my email any different from checking the thread?

I didn't claim that it was different, although it clearly is significantly different for those users who are not regulars on the forum - they are far more likely to log into their personal email clients as compared to logging into the forums. It was outlined by some that you apparently have to continually visit the forums to garner the information as to when Steam will be down for maintenance.

That is not the case, as I pointed out.

forceNet
01-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Where did I say that they're keeping the times to themselves on purpose? I never once implied that. All I said is that they typically don't announce maintenance very far in advance.
well of course you didn't really say or mean /that/, I was just sarcastically pointing out how little sense it makes to complain about the announcements occasionally coming late - it's not like Valve choose to post them late intentionally. sometimes they just don't have any other option.

Onyx3173
01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I didn't claim that it was different. It was pointed out that you have to continually visit the forums to garner the information as to when Steam will be down for maintenance.

That is not the case, as I pointed out.
But the fact of the matter is that you do still have to continually monitor something other than Steam itself for maintenance. If they would even implement that one single thing I think plenty of the complaints would go away. And with some of the recent updates to Steam, it sounds like it'd be very feasible for them to add it in anyways. they'd just need to setup some kind of message system that would forward you the post they've made in the downtime thread but through the Steam client itself.
well of course you didn't really say or mean /that/, I was just sarcastically pointing out how little sense it makes to complain about the announcements occasionally coming late - it's not like Valve choose to post them late intentionally.
My complaint was less them occasionally coming late rather than the fact that most people never even see the announcements until after Steam is already down. And that's the source of a great many of the complaints about downtime.

Sierra Oscar
01-10-2012, 06:12 PM
But the fact of the matter is that you do still have to continually monitor something other than Steam itself for maintenance. If they would even implement that one single thing I think plenty of the complaints would go away. And with some of the recent updates to Steam, it sounds like it'd be very feasible for them to add it in anyways. they'd just need to setup some kind of message system that would forward you the post they've made in the downtime thread but through the Steam client itself.

Indeed, I agree that it would be a good feature to have. One argument that has been put forward against such a system is that it could be seen as being intrusive if users are forced to view the notification. I myself would prefer an option which did not force the notification upon the user, but made it easy for the user to access such notifications through the client itself.

What I would perhaps suggest is having a maintenance small notification here (http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/Sierra_Oscar_2006/SteamANN.png) on the client itself. It could be some sort of an orange icon that when clicked upon would give a brief synopsis of the scheduled maintenance. Perhaps it would be only necessary if game services were to be affected or the likes.

For now however, we just have to make the best of what we have until such a feature comes about.

forceNet
01-10-2012, 06:13 PM
My complaint was less them occasionally coming late rather than the fact that most people never even see the announcements until after Steam is already down. And that's the source of a great many of the complaints about downtime.
and I'm one of those people. except for maybe one case few years back, I never find out about the planned downtimes before they're underway. that should change now tho as just few mins ago I subscribed to the announcements thread which somehow never occurred to me before.

checking email once or twice a day as you mentioned previously should work fine for majority of downtimes which are announced days in advance.

Onyx3173
01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Indeed, I agree that it would be a good feature to have. One argument that has been put forward against such a system is that it could be seen as being intrusive if users are forced to view the notification. I myself would prefer an option which did not force the notification upon the user, but made it easy for the user to access such notifications through the client itself.

What I would perhaps suggest is having a maintenance small notification here (http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/Sierra_Oscar_2006/SteamANN.png) on the client itself. It could be some sort of an orange icon that when clicked upon would give a brief synopsis of the scheduled maintenance. Perhaps it would be only necessary if game services were to be affected or the likes.
I would personally be fine with a message notification under the gifts/group invites/new inventory items notification icon. It's unobtrusive but still obvious. Maybe for those that don't keep their library window open all the time, have a little pop-up notification similar to the ones that show up when a group you're a member of posts an announcement.
For now however, we just have to make the best of what we have until such a feature comes about.
I do agree that we'll have to deal with it for now but that definitely doesn't mean we should just keep quiet about it. If we never show our discontent over the situation then Valve would never know there's an issue in the first place.

AMLow
01-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I'd really just like a way to check downtime in Steam itself instead of the forums.

bbd23
01-10-2012, 07:43 PM
i cant do anything. cant launch a game steam cloud taking forever to sync/close

1337W422102
01-10-2012, 07:47 PM
I didn't even know these downtimes were announced at all. As mentioned above, there really needs be a way to make these downtimes known to users in the client itself, like in MMO launchers.

MikeBlaszczak
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
It's been suggested numerous times but as of yet Valve hasn't listened.Of course we've listened. I've explained earlier in this thread, as well as in the FAQ, about our plans.

This announcement was made like yesterday though?Yes, it was.

hairbautt
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I can't believe that philipla is still putting the wrong year in his checkbook.

I needed that money yesterday.

Onyx3173
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Of course we've listened. I've explained earlier in this thread, as well as in the FAQ, about our plans.
I haven't seen the explanation although admittedly I've only recently discovered this thread. Where would this FAQ be though?

PolarBearing
01-10-2012, 09:20 PM
So, I'm still seeing an error on both web browsers and in the Steam client, trying to get to the front store page. http://store.steampowered.com/

STEAM Client: Failed to load web page (unknown error).-118

Web browser: The server at store.steampowered.com is taking too long to respond.

Is it just me, or is the store page still having trouble?

FYI: I have already restarted the Steam client several times, and tried multiple browsers...

Kidrage
01-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Now it seems things are back, but curious if my game list categories will be fixed with time? I have too many games to re sort it the way they were. Any info on this, thanks?

All games are now in the "game" cat, instead of what I sorted them out to.

Jigoku
01-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Restarting the client should fix that, Kidrage.

Kidrage
01-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Hm, I've tried restarting and just tried again and nothing :( Only cats I see are the non steam games ie. blizzard games -.- Is there a folder that stores backup somewhere for the cat files, or na? :(

Trexmaster75
01-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Am i the only one getting a routine maintenance message on steam?

it's been offline for nearly 2 hours now and i haven't seen anything posted about it.

pokedex2536
01-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Am i the only one getting a routine maintenance message on steam?

it's been offline for nearly 2 hours now and i haven't seen anything posted about it.

Yeah its just you.

Jmcmatrixs
01-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Seems this thread has been unstickied.

fyiiamaheavy
01-15-2012, 10:26 AM
this thread was never stickied.

TheCracker
01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Steam works just fine, just you

derrman0426
01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Seems this thread has been unstickied.

You're thinking of the announcements thread.

Sh4dovvv
01-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Steam is Ok here...

Relaxasaurus
01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Can't create an official dedicated server or best available server in Left4Dead 2. Friends having the same issue.

Been this way since 6:10 or so. Anyone having the same issue?

Update- Looks like Valve forced an update that kicks current players off from all servers haha. I quit the game and Steam began updating it. Restarted L4D2 and can create new games just fine now. Wish you guys had a popup or prompt explaining why we can't join.

Peandreo
01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
I can't do the login, just keep saying CONECTING...

Darth Postal
01-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Since this is no longer "can't download certain games" problem but rather Steam Is Down thing now, I suggest continue discussion here.

Peaks of activity in this thread usually work better than small standalone threads ;)

NoBridges
01-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Down yet again eh? ..

Eunos
01-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Down yet again eh? ..

Not for me at least. (UK)

Steeli
01-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Not for me at least. (UK)

Is for me :( (UK)

Tatts4Life
Having trouble getting Steam to start on my computer and I'm starting to get mad.

minevittu
community and open id is down

Darth Postal
Well, my community page disappeared and I can't download games. I'd say, it's down.

Tatts4Life
01-20-2012, 07:37 AM
I can't even get it to start up so I can play Fallout New Vegas.

seiden
01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Well, my community page disappeared and I can't download games. I'd say, it's down.
This same here:
Error 503 Service Unavailable
cant go to my inv :(

fundraiser
01-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Yes. No.Use loadout binds.

how do you do htat

voron00
01-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Anyone having problems with steam trading?I have it not working..always error..

TerrorSignal
01-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Please verify your humanity by re-entering the characters below.

Mephiston
01-20-2012, 07:42 AM
For me, steam runs fine, and i can do everything EXCEPT check my account history and log into the store (i bought kingdoms of amalur, and i got the email receipt but its not in my library at all, despite 2 other preorders being there).

getting the old "Please verify your humanity by re-entering the characters below." chestnut.

MoneyHypeMike
01-20-2012, 07:43 AM
What is going on....?

''Please verify human...enter character below''

There is no character!

vnicius0078
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
What is going on....?

''Please verify human...enter character below''

There is no character!

I Have a same problem D:

viviva
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
WTFFF

garylisk
01-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Can't access anything in the "Community" tab.

Was able to purchase Sonic Generations.

Can't install it, though. Error "No Steam servers are currently configured to deliver content for this game. This will be corrected soon. Please try again in a few minutes."

It's been many hours. I work overnights, so this was my night off... been trying since just after midnight til now. Still nothing. Tried changing server under Downloads + Cloud, nothing on any server.

UPDATE: Not sure what's going on. I tried installed a small game (X-Xom UFO Defense) and it worked fine. Then I tried to install a bigger game (Dead Space 2) and it said "The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request right now."

DDoS Attack? It's not like some big new game just hit that the servers would be swamped...

plebc
01-20-2012, 08:08 AM
same with me re community tab - nothing: Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

is that what I get for my money? an error message?

jenovaweapon
01-20-2012, 08:10 AM
same with me re community tab - nothing: Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

is that what I get for my money? an error message?

It's just the community page

As long as you can play your games for the time being I honestly don't see the problem. It'll be up in awhile, just relax.

Darth Postal
01-20-2012, 08:12 AM
It's just the community page

As long as you can play your games for the time being I honestly don't see the problem. It'll be up in awhile, just relax.

No, it's not just the community page. People have problem downloading games (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491728) for over 15 hours now!

NoBridges
01-20-2012, 08:13 AM
As long as they dont revert anything I'm good. Would hate to wait for support (friggin 3 weeks) before being able to play skyrim which I purchased 20 mins ago.

SweetNothing
01-20-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm also unable to access the community section: Guru meditation, varnish cache, etc.

Darth Postal
01-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Even http://store.steampowered.com/news/ is down.

An error was encountered while processing your request:

No feeds configured.

What's going on? Valve, talk to us.

EDIT: news are back now, but believe me, they were down a second ago.

DBraveZ
01-20-2012, 08:24 AM
maybe some hackers are attacking steam, in revenge to SOPA ?
I hope everything will be back to normal soon, or maybe Valve can twitt some thing, just 1 sentence for aproxx time to recovery :)

Tailspin45
01-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Same as everyone else, except MW3 dedicated server works fine. But game won't connect to Steam. Same weird message to enter characters below but there are no characters.

DBraveZ
01-20-2012, 08:29 AM
ITS BACK AND ALIVE :) !!!

MartinKhan
01-20-2012, 08:31 AM
maybe some hackers are attacking steam, in revenge to SOPA ?
I hope everything will be back to normal soon, or maybe Valve can twitt some thing, just 1 sentence for aproxx time to recovery :)

If they were doing that, they'd be really stupid hackers, since Gabe Newell stated they didn't support SOPA.

kenclopz
01-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Well, this sucks. Just purchased Casino Night DLC, Sonic 4 Ep 1, Choplifter HD, and Sonic CD and I can't download jack diddly squawt. Btw, what is it with downloading issues everytime Sonic CD comes out? I got it for my xperia play and it was a ♥♥♥♥♥ trying to download. Now it's not working here. Is Sega doing something evil?

TerrorSignal
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
not here yet..

Darth Postal
01-20-2012, 08:38 AM

The community is back, but I still can't download games. (Even after deleting ClientRegistry.blob and restarting).

EDIT: After deleting ClientRegistry many, many times, I can finally download. Everything seems to be working for me now.

pitor
01-20-2012, 09:32 AM
:( purchased The Ball - registered - cant download - no locations - wtf? changed language in killing floor - same thing as the ball - come on... I do want to play. Cant download games, all else works. I was changing download locations in steam settings - no dice - same story - no locations blah blah blah. I hope this gets fixed soon. I was waiting 1 month for my copy of THE Ball, I could easily play it withouh paying for it, but I waited to get it the legal way, so let me have some fun guys.

pantango
01-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Origin logs in. I'll be playing Battlefail 3 atleast.

Darth Postal
01-20-2012, 09:43 AM
@pitor

Try this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28636945&postcount=62). It worked for many people, including me.

pantango
01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
@pitor

Try this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28636945&postcount=62). It worked for many people, including me.

Worked for me, but wouldn't if I deleted the file. All I did was rename the file and left the small renamed file there.
;)

pizzahut
01-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Might be related, the Content Server Bandwidth graph (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/) has stopped displaying new data 4 days ago.

Solon25
01-20-2012, 09:53 AM
EDIT: news are back now, but believe me, they were down a second ago.

Calm down, you don't see white rabbits :D

Have "an error occured" shown on the newspage :)

smiler52
01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
can not log into steam and i want to play railworks whats going on

pitor
01-20-2012, 10:50 AM
@ Darth Postal
Thanks, I should have mentioned in my previous post that it did not work.

Now things seem ok - The Ball downloaded, and so did Killing Floor. Looks like thing are coming back to normal - sweeeet :)

omega4586
01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I keep getting an error that says 'Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: delete of Steam.exe failed, win32 Error 5 "Access is denied."' I tried uninstalling it and doing a fresh install, also tried the clientregistry.blob deleting thing, and also tried manually deleting the Steam.exe. I keep getting the same error or it just doesn't start the update at all. Either way I can't get into steam.

Tyraa Rane
01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Is Steam down for anyone else right now? I've got no connection here in the US, and additionally, trying to go to my profile (or anyone else's I can think of) via my browser just throws up an error page: "Sorry! An error was encountered while processing your request:

There was an error communicating with the network. Please try again later.

Here's a link to the Steam Community home page."

Seems like the community servers have conked out again. :confused:

Trebor_Wake
Is Steam down for anyone else right now? I've got no connection here in the US, and additionally, trying to go to my profile (or anyone else's I can think of) via my browser just throws up an error page: "Sorry! An error was encountered while processing your request:

Me too.

Onyx3173
Steam just randomly went down for me. Kinda annoying cause most of the morning my internet had been dropping out cause of line work. Internet finally stabilizes and Steam randomly goes down.

SoulStealer
01-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Mines down

beerhead
seems like it.. came here to ask same question :)

splinteryourjaw

I'm having this problem also

shootme
its down for me too :(

T@F
Same uk.
just getting into mw3 online and got kicked because no steam network
I thought it was not suppose to affect games when it goes down?

dmtdude
yep down for me also, in Austraia.

kierasher
01-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Same here

Rav|
01-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Same uk.
I thought it was not suppose to affect games when it goes into downtime?
you thought wrong

japanimater
01-23-2012, 06:42 PM
It's down for me in America Central, can't view friends and I can't access the community nor login.

Tyraa Rane
Same uk.

If the community servers are down that might explain it...I'm pretty sure when community is down, lobbies and matchmaking are down for the count too.

Well, good to know it's not just me I guess. Here's hoping it's back soon. I was about to start up TF2, too. :(

Twisted1410
Yep, friends list says I'm Offline, Community page doesn't work.

ctb
Now I'm sitting here eating chocolate. White chocolate to be exact, and in complete boredom.

shootme
01-23-2012, 06:43 PM
just got reconnected :)

CUDpwns
OMG Steam is down looks like I'll have to use Origin...Lol jks I'll just wait.

ChewysPeanuts
it works!. wth would i do without steam :p

ChaosBahamut
01-23-2012, 06:44 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/Steam_Support/status/161620484105043968

Onyx3173
01-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Same uk.
This doesn't appear to be scheduled maintenance. Could be a server ♥♥♥♥ting itself.

ctb
01-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Back on. (UK - 01:44 GMT)

andre_sca
friend list offline, community don't work... another downtime?

ShellShocker
When under maintenance how long does it usually take to come back online?

Onyx3173
https://twitter.com/#!/Steam_Support/status/161620484105043968
Of course they announce it through Twitter but not through other means such as the downtime announcement thread. This is why they need a unified way of announcing it through Steam itself. They're so all over the place with their announcements it's not funny.

oskramorir
01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
i was ready to say "Im down here" but now im up

Twisted1410
01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Ah that was quick. :)

Onyx3173
01-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Back up for me too.

envirovore
01-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Of course they announce it through Twitter but not through other means such as the downtime announcement thread. This is why they need a unified way of announcing it through Steam itself. They're so all over the place with their announcements it's not funny.

This would have been nice to announce elsewhere than just Twitter, as some of us don't use the service.
Maybe some place associated with Steam.
If only such a page and forum existed.

/edit: back online for me BTW.

Tyraa Rane
01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Back up for me too.

I wish they'd post these things in the pinned thread as opposed to just on Twitter...I don't use Twitter, so how am I supposed to know if the downtime's scheduled or not?

Don K. Bawlz
01-23-2012, 06:54 PM
WTF! Twitter! come on. its up BTW

spiritofjon
01-23-2012, 06:56 PM
If valve did anything that made even the least bit of sense it would instantly kill 2/3 of the spuf community because our heads would explode. Surely one of the first signs of the zombie apocalypse is valve doing something that makes senses or is expected. Some of us rely on valves unreliability, it makes the universe flow smoothly.

MartinKhan
01-23-2012, 06:58 PM
If valve did anything that made even the least bit of sense it would instantly kill 2/3 of the spuf community because our heads would explode. Surely one of the first signs of the zombie apocalypse is valve doing something that makes senses or is expected. Some of us rely on valves unreliability, it makes the universe flow smoothly.

That, and VALVE Time. As soon as VALVE Time coincides with our regular time, it'll be a sign of the apocalypse.

metal_volta
Oh come on...really? Twitter? All these updates and programmers you guys have and nobody can make a tab on steam that notifies everyone when the steam is going to be down. Origins does....so far ...it's seems to be a little better than steam.

T@F
you thought wrong

No s*** sherlock.
Considering valve says Chat, game lobbies, and the community web site will be affected. Content downloads and game play should not be affected.

oldbrokenlink
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
dungeon defenders intermittently up/down :(

oskramorir
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
i'm down right now.

Onyx3173
This would have been nice to announce elsewhere than just Twitter, as some of us don't use the service.
Maybe some place associated with Steam.
If only such a page and forum existed.

/edit: back online for me BTW.
You'd think they'd just make some sort of in-Steam notification system by now. And Steam just went back down for me and it's not my internet.

oranjedrank
same!

prozac26
01-23-2012, 09:55 PM
It's down now. :(:(:(:(:(

NXMT
01-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Dooooown. I wanna' finish Dead Island NOW.

Onyx3173
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Back up for me. For now.

prozac26
Fix it, fix it, fix it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Isjgc0oX0s&feature=related)

Insomnia80
i start to become a fan of GfWL, min once a week steamworks is down and my multyplayer games kick me out imidiately.. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, you have a chat network, how bout a notification !?! ***** ** ***** !!!

mindmurderer
01-23-2012, 09:58 PM
You'd think they'd just make some sort of in-Steam notification system by now. And Steam just went back down for me and it's not my internet.

i agree and its down for me also

Jigoku

Hey! I was playing Dead Island too! ;)

Dumped me out at a most unfortunate moment for my co-op partner ...

uhhsam

the odds of you finishing it now

:cool: have died

mindmurderer
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
back up but for how long? wish steam would make it easier to tell

bayek
Not that this solves any problems, but I'm pretty sure today's downtime has got something to do with the update to the Steam Workshop, and the recent Skyrim beta update.

The Workshop has a new front page and mentions something to this effect, so I'm guessing they're working out some bugs with that.

To which I say, cheers.

twl04046
Down :(

Sublym385
01-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Ok 2nd time today, I have been kicked out of my games.

I would like to see this idea implemented:

Post a notice/warning and a estimated timer on Store page in steam at the top where everyone can see it. In fact why dont you have a permanent news feed ticker scrolling across the top, it can display the status of all steam services a simple UP/DOWN/ISSUEs kind of thing.

I dont want to have to come to the forums everytime or check twitter. Valve/Steam should use its own medium inside the steam application to communicate with its customers.

Khirsah01
01-23-2012, 10:14 PM
When the Community goes down, I notice so too does the News. You can't connect to Steam Client Services at all, that's why your Steam Client immediately says "Offline Mode".

A ticker tape wouldn't solve it if you can't connect to Steam to get the info for the ticker tape.

Onyx3173
01-24-2012, 01:50 AM
And it just went down for me yet again.

utadahikaruy3k
01-24-2012, 01:50 AM
something wrong with steam tonight?? it seems that it has been down multiple times today

Im_So_Ronery
01-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Yeah for me too. It went down a few hrs ago, now right now obviously.

grim fate56
01-24-2012, 01:51 AM
ive been on all day today, litteraly 10 hours

3 times steam has droped out today and i cant find any prior warning on the main forums

puTTy0
01-24-2012, 01:52 AM
STOP KICKING ME FROM GAMES STEAM ( Dungeon Defenders )

Onyx3173
01-24-2012, 01:52 AM
ive been on all day today, litteraly 10 hours

3 times steam has droped out today and i cant find any prior warning on the main forums
There's been absolutely ♥♥♥♥ all warning on the forums. They warned the first time on their Twitter however. This is getting absurd.

Snappyguy
01-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Can they not push a notice across on Steam? It is really annoying to have to go into the forums to see if there is a problem with me or Steam -_-

Haggis&Tatties
01-24-2012, 02:00 AM
^^That would be a good idea.....this random dropping of late and the thing going down can get quite annoying at times.

Darth Postal
01-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Down again???
OK, seriously, this is just ridiculous. Steam now goes down every 2 days or so.

NXMT
01-24-2012, 02:02 AM
Hey! I was playing Dead Island too! ;)

Dumped me out at a most unfortunate moment for my co-op partner ...

And not a very good moment for me either! I was half an hour from bum rushing our way through the prisons. When I finally did get back online, there were NO players left and I had to SP for a good chunk!

eXodL
01-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Steam now goes down every 2 days or so.

Guess their servers can't handle the stress anymore.

Reloire
01-24-2012, 02:13 AM
TF2 is always crashed if it can't connect to item server in the middle of the game. This is very infuriating if you are on dueling.

maxtorthelord
01-24-2012, 02:17 AM
Can they not push a notice across on Steam? It is really annoying to have to go into the forums to see if there is a problem with me or Steam -_-

That actually makes sense so I don't think it will ever happen.

viespea
01-24-2012, 07:12 AM
TF2 is always crashed if it can't connect to item server in the middle of the game. This is very infuriating if you are on dueling.

Welcome to TF2 world , where crashes are breakfast and dinner . Says that TF2 crashes is like says that water is wet :o

It`s crashing like 40-50% of the time and its not me, i play on the same server and i know a lot of people that say the same; there are times when like 50% of the server players get a crash in the same time :rolleyes:...and we win , hehe.

eXodL
01-26-2012, 02:13 PM
And here we go again. Valve should definitely consider an upgrade to those servers.

It's becoming worst with every week. But hey, as long as we have a mobile app, why should we care that people can't play their games. /rant

Epsilon
01-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Steam's up. I'm matchmaking in L4D2 just fine, and I've got 6 friends online.

jdub
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Main rig, my account = offline.
Family rig, alt account = online.

Sitting here looking at both screens being puzzled......

WM1
01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Main rig, my account = offline.
Family rig, alt account = online.

Sitting here looking at both screens being puzzled......

Oh goody! Another person like me who seems to get kicked "offline" for no reason :( The messed up part is that my friends see me as online and can still send messages...

THE AWS
01-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Anybody still having problems? I couldnt get in the game. It just kept geting stuck at connecting to mw3 or whatever it says. Then i decided to exit steam and it kept getting stuck at synching. So I forced exit out of steam, restarted, got into the game just fine but now it says unable to connect to host on every game.

Onyx3173
01-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Just went down for me too. This is honestly just getting absurd.

King_Pin999
just lost connection :(

DeadPhoenix86
steam works fine for me. it hasn't been down for days, as what i remember.

Onyx3173
01-26-2012, 03:57 PM
steam works fine for me. it hasn't been down for days, as what i remember.
Lucky you then. It goes down constantly for the rest of us.

Edit: Back up for me.

jdub
01-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Oh noooooooooes!
Sorry, some kind of error has occurred:

Odd that i can log into steam, and chat with friends, but it doesn't log into my community profile.

HellJumper
01-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Oh noooooooooes!
Sorry, some kind of error has occurred:

Odd that i can log into steam, and chat with friends, but it doesn't log into my community profile.

I'm getting the same error. Probably just something on Valve's end.

Onyx3173
01-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Steam's down for me again.

soulcipher
01-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Down for me, UK. They really need a better way of announcing this crap. Ridiculous.

minevittu
01-27-2012, 03:53 PM
damn.... how often can this possibly happen????

Corran109
01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Hasn't this been happening far too often lately?

Onyx3173
01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Down for me, UK. They really need a better way of announcing this crap. Ridiculous.
They didn't even announce it this time as far as I'm aware. I checked Twitter and checked my email for a notification on their downtime announcement thread and there's nothing. It'd be really nice if we could go more than a few days without downtime.

etienneb29
01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
The Steam Community is down, but all games are working fine. I even downloaded some patches.

soulcipher
01-27-2012, 03:58 PM
I was just looking at the thread, nothing in there. Apparantly my mate is still online in it, so perhaps its just a section of people? Either way, they need to announce things via the client and not the forums. Not everyone uses the forums. A 10 minute warning would suffice in emergencies tbh. Now I cannot play half the games on my library due to being unable to join any mates games. I know its often for a short period of time but we do pay for this and get nothing noticeable in return for the inconvenience.

BondgeButterfly
01-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Hasn't this been happening far too often lately?

yes it seems multiple times daily

strawfake
01-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Next up, a message from Valve that the database was hacked or something ;P

EXYLeR
wtf. it says "No Connection". Is this Steam's problem or my computer?

Onyx3173
The Steam Community is down, but all games are working fine. I even downloaded some patches.
Oddly community isn't down for me. I can access my own profile and those of friends. But I can't actually connect to the community.

SmellyLethality
yes it seems multiple times daily

Them forum database errors had to be paid off somehow. :P

VeriBlade
01-27-2012, 04:03 PM
For god sake will Steam warn people when their going to do this, we were all in game after trying for 1/2 an hour to get a game after l4d2 update. Once in we are half way through a game and we all get kicked and no steam connection :rolleyes: for god sake do your updates/maintinance in the middle of the week not friday nights/days.

klamm_
01-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Down...already in December 2012?:p

jasonbecker83
01-27-2012, 04:04 PM
oh I really love to pay for this.
Thanks Valve!

PinkieusPiecus
01-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Did it just go down for anyone else? I'm here in the UK and I can't connect to steam servers.
This sucks, since now I can't play SMNC with my friends.

mario9748
I can't log into my steam account nor change password or anything with my booth accounts :p is that because the servers are down?

EDIT: it seems that my booth accounts don't even exist :O cant find anything

please tell me if the down servers are the reason, or should i get worried?

brataccas
my steam friends list isint working, is it just me?

Corran109
01-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Now I cannot play half the games on my library due to being unable to join any mates games. I know its often for a short period of time but we do pay for this and get nothing noticeable in return for the inconvenience.

It's even worse for Dungeon Defenders, because no steam connection means no connection to your account. It means I can't play it at all, and I get kicked out of anything I'm doing at the time.

BesomeGames
I just spent about 5 minutes wondering why my login attemps were failing before I thought to come check here. I understand downtime, just please give correct failure messages. For a good minute I was worried someone got into my account.

Sherrah550
Can't use the shop... 5 minutes to load a page (On the off chance it loads at all) and then I get the error message "We couldn't add the item to your cart".

fat cat1
01-27-2012, 04:08 PM
its down for me as well, can't add friends or anything.

Jasonyoo101
01-27-2012, 04:08 PM
i cant seem to log on to steam and says i enterted an invalid password and an invalid contact email O_O

brataccas
01-27-2012, 04:09 PM
its down for me as well, can't add friends or anything.

can you view or see any friends online?

EXYLeR
01-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Steam is back on :)