PDA

View Full Version : Different from Homm3

CannibalBob
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey I'm a fan of Heroes 3 and was wondering if there are others out there who have played both Homm3 and Homm5 and can state some of the differences between them. Even a link to a good review would be great, thanks

KrashdnBurnt
01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Are you familiar with these...
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x/a/cfrm/f/5651095682
http://mightandmagic.us.ubi.com/community.php

Leetzaw
01-16-2009, 02:05 AM
Hey I'm a fan of Heroes 3 and was wondering if there are others out there who have played both Homm3 and Homm5 and can state some of the differences between them. Even a link to a good review would be great, thanks

Homm3 was my first strategy game, basically Homm3 had better gameplay and was super freaking awsome, but no convenient multiplayer.
Homm5 is pretty much almost the same quality in gameplay, the graphics are awsome, and its a whole new perspective in the combat mode!!!
plus the multiplayer is great, though i cant get patch 3.1 through steam, ive been lucky enough to play 1.6 with 2 other randoms from france, it was really really fun, yeah the Homm3 singleplayer is more fun than Homm5 singleplayer, but Homm5 multiplayer is the butter to bread.

Alec_Trevelyan
02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
The combat is worse, the size of units and the grid pattern can easily lock in troops, unit balance is chaotic between factions resulting in frequently 1 sided battles depending on the stage of the game.

Magic also took a hit the new schools of magic are mostly pointless effects doing paltry damage and are confusing to learn.

Though despite the downgrades in those 2 departments the game is still as much fun as ever, legions of fantastic creatures battling over a huge war for resources and gold.

Assassinated
01-21-2010, 09:41 AM
H3 - SWEET
H5 - Sh*t

TempS
03-26-2010, 08:43 PM
homm3 had a way better soundtrack too... and HoMM5 is also way too cartoony and childish... especially the campaign story ... ugh

DerHuhnTeufel
10-28-2010, 01:51 AM
I've played all of them, and 3 is still the most fun to me.

With 5, every race has their ridiculously powerful creature(s) that are annoying and everything else is either worthless or extremely situational, and battle basically boils down to whoever can kill off the enemy's best creature(s) first. Whoever does that wins with few exceptions.

The archetype abilities are also incredibly out of whack. For instance, take the wizard cities. A mid level wizard can double the effectiveness of their low levels troops with cheap artifacts, and can turn their high level troops into fast-acting death machines. Don't even get me started on what a high level wizard can do.

Compare that to, say, the knight's ability, which grants them the ability to convert a very small amount of lower tier troops into a single tier higher troops once a week.

Or compare the inferno "gating" ability, where you can almost double your army size and spawn it anywhere on the battlefield with the ranger's favored enemy ability. Double your effective army or kill a few creatures each time the slowest acting unit in your army goes, if you have a very high level hero. Hmm, what to do?

Then there are the bugs. Yes, even years after it came out there are still game-stopping bugs in both storyline and multiplayer. Most of the time the "fixes" are more along the lines of "just start over and hope it doesn't happen again". Yeah, thanks for that.

And then there's the engine itself. It's slow. Loading takes forever and I'm using SSD memory. I don't even know how you can make loading take time with those. My computer literally boots up faster than this game does. The 3D adds nothing, and is often used to cheaply hide resources from you. The in game cut scenes are atrociously voiced, horribly written, and they just used random spell effects in order to emphasize certain points. Think Symphony of the Night type voice acting, only 1000x worse. Moreover, you hate all of the characters. Seriously, every character in this game with the exception of one is a completely selfish ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ that deserves everything that happens to them. Art direction was obviously placed on the back burner, as few things in this game look even remotely similar to anything from any other Heroes game. Gargoyles stand out as the obvious example, and possibly the single most ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ looking creature I've ever seen in any HoMM game, even since the first one.

Heroes 5 is a pretty terrible game all in all. The expansions are much better than the original game itself, but still very mediocre as far as HoMM games go. Honestly, I think this game came out under the following premise:

Random Employee A: Hey, this storyline for Dark Messiah is pretty awesome. Maybe we can do a prequel?
Random Manager A: That sounds cool, but all our top staff is working on Dark Messiah. Maybe we can hire some people off the street?
Random Employee A: As long as I don't have to meet them, talk with them, work with them, or care about them, sure!

And so, they hired, The B Team.