PDA

View Full Version : Using Mods In GTA IV

CaptainDingo
02-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Modding Grand Theft Auto IV can extend its lifetime a great deal after you've already beaten the game. Modding in GTA IV is especially fun because of things like the Euphoria physics engine allowing you to bang yourself up in hilarious ways.

Disclaimer
Not I nor the creators of these mods are responsible if you bork your installation of the game. If you have the Steam version, one comfort is being able to reverse most mod changes by running a "Verify Integrity of Game Files" on GTA IV. I'll also include instructions on how to remove most of the mods I've linked to.

Making Your GTA IV Mod-able
99% of the mods you'll probably enjoy using are small .asi scripts that need to be loaded into the game via something called an ASI loader.

An ASI loader is typically a .dll file that you place into your GTA IV folder (\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV) and will run all by itself once you start the game. It does not replace any files, so removing your .asi mods is as simple as either removing all the .asi files or removing the ASI loader so the .asi files can no longer be loaded. You place the .asi script files inside the same folder. The ASI loader will load all the .asi files it finds automatically.

Here (http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/Files/IVAsiLoader.rar) you'll find the ASI loader I use. Download it, put it in your folder, and I'll start listing off mods I like!

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods) to go to the mod site I use; this will take you to ALL of the Script Mods for GTA IV, mostly .asi files that make fun additions to the game. As said earlier, put them where I told you or just follow the instructions contained in the archive.

My personal favorites:

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2121) for the "Euphoria Mod" by Delremos. This mod allows you to attach your hands to almost any car in the game by clicking your middle mouse button near one. A lot of fun being dragged around! :) It is still in beta and sometimes has undesirable effects, for the most part it works fine. Cannot cling to trains, police cars, or garbage trucks. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/1961) for the "Ragdoll Mod" by HippieCommunist. This lets you force Niko into ragdoll, balancing using only physics, drunkenness, on-fire, and Niko's "protecting himself as he rolls" physics states at the press of a hotkey. A lot of fun if seeing people falling down stairs never gets old to you. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2195) for the "Museum and Bank Robbery Mod" by HippieCommunist. This mod is very unforgiving, but it lets you rob the bank and the museum in Liberty City for a big chunk of cash whenever you're feeling brave. In order to successfully escape with the money though, you need to lose the 6-star wanted level you get after you steal it. :eek: Recommended if you want a tough-as-nails challenge for a big wad of cash. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi files from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2196) for the "CharComponents" mod by HippieCommunist. This mod lets you hit various keys on the numpad to equip accessories onto Niko on the fly, such as a bulletproof vest, various duffel bags and backpacks, and even Niko's fingerless gloves that Rockstar teased us with in the loading screen but never let us have! ;) Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

nomad4
02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Great guide! Thanks! I can't wait for my download to finish lol...

ajrunke
02-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Modding Grand Theft Auto IV can extend its lifetime a great deal after you've already beaten the game. Modding in GTA IV is especially fun because of things like the Euphoria physics engine allowing you to bang yourself up in hilarious ways.

Disclaimer
Not I nor the creators of these mods are responsible if you bork your installation of the game. If you have the Steam version, one comfort is being able to reverse most mod changes by running a "Verify Integrity of Game Files" on GTA IV. I'll also include instructions on how to remove most of the mods I've linked to.

Making Your GTA IV Mod-able
99% of the mods you'll probably enjoy using are small .asi scripts that need to be loaded into the game via something called an ASI loader.

An ASI loader is typically a .dll file that you place into your GTA IV folder (\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV) and will run all by itself once you start the game. It does not replace any files, so removing your .asi mods is as simple as either removing all the .asi files or removing the ASI loader so the .asi files can no longer be loaded. You place the .asi script files inside the same folder. The ASI loader will load all the .asi files it finds automatically.

Here (http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/Files/IVAsiLoader.rar) you'll find the ASI loader I use. Download it, put it in your folder, and I'll start listing off mods I like!

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods) to go to the mod site I use; this will take you to ALL of the Script Mods for GTA IV, mostly .asi files that make fun additions to the game. As said earlier, put them where I told you or just follow the instructions contained in the archive.

My personal favorites:

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2121) for the "Euphoria Mod" by Delremos. This mod allows you to attach your hands to almost any car in the game by clicking your middle mouse button near one. A lot of fun being dragged around! :) It is still in beta and sometimes has undesirable effects, for the most part it works fine. Cannot cling to trains, police cars, or garbage trucks. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/1961) for the "Ragdoll Mod" by HippieCommunist. This lets you force Niko into ragdoll, balancing using only physics, drunkenness, on-fire, and Niko's "protecting himself as he rolls" physics states at the press of a hotkey. A lot of fun if seeing people falling down stairs never gets old to you. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2195) for the "Museum and Bank Robbery Mod" by HippieCommunist. This mod is very unforgiving, but it lets you rob the bank and the museum in Liberty City for a big chunk of cash whenever you're feeling brave. In order to successfully escape with the money though, you need to lose the 6-star wanted level you get after you steal it. :eek: Recommended if you want a tough-as-nails challenge for a big wad of cash. Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi files from your GTAIV folder.

*Click here (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2196) for the "CharComponents" mod by HippieCommunist. This mod lets you hit various keys on the numpad to equip accessories onto Niko on the fly, such as a bulletproof vest, various duffel bags and backpacks, and even Niko's fingerless gloves that Rockstar teased us with in the loading screen but never let us have! ;) Remove the mod by simply removing the .asi file from your GTAIV folder.

I know you don't receive money in MP, but can you use the bank robbery mod in it? I think it would be fun to rob a bank w a couple friends...Also, one of my favorite mods is the Xenon (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/misc-mods/2069) Headlights. I prefer the ultra blue violet, because it's less of an intense blue. It also gives the taillights a nice glow.

CaptainDingo
02-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I haven't tested any of these mods for MP compatibility. You can try it out if you want, but it probably won't work.

By the way, for anyone interested, I'm making a very simple modification to Star Junction that is really only for my own personal use, but if someone else wants it, let me know.

I was looking at pictures of Times Square (what Star Junction is based off of) and noticed how bustling it is with people at all hours of the day. Unfortunately, in GTA IV, Star Junction is very devoid of people by comparison.

So I've taken the liberty of increasing the density of the pedestrians in that area by almost ten times normal. Performance doesn't suffer very much from doing it, oddly. And it feels a lot more like Star Junction is an important spot now that I've increased the pedestrians. It's packed now like Times Square is.

grims
02-14-2009, 06:08 PM
This thread is about to fall onto the second page so I thought I would give it a little bump...

First and foremost I would like to thank CaptainDingo for posting this thread. It is short, but thorough. This thread has saved me a lot of time for looking for mods. I am actually quite surprised the mod developers have the mods I was exactly looking for. It's nice to see people have similar interests in this game :cool:

Just to point out on the "loader" program. I have seen people say things like this in the past, so before it's said... The loader is a .DLL file, but it is not a virus or a trojan. It's just a common .dll; a direct x sound DLL file to be exact. All it's used for is loading the .ASI files - which are also NOT viruses. If you are worried, do some research, but I can assure you it's all safe :)

Secondly as CaptainDingo pointed out. It is extremley easy to install these mods. All it is, is drag and drop or copy and paste. You don't have to install any programs on your computer or use an addons for GTA. Just simply place them in your GTA 4 directory.

I have already tested a few mods and I highly recommend 2 from above as well as two others from that website.

*GTA 4 Ragdoll Effects (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/1961)
*GTA 4 Character Accessories (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2196)
*GTA 4 Car Bomb Mod (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2066) <--- Better than in-game Patrick's Bombs.

and finally my personal favourite... I had no idea anyone even made it yet. I was going to request for it.

*GTA 4 Bodyguard Mod (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/1950) <--- 100x better than "Dwaynes Backup"

Thanks again CaptainDingo for the links and time saved!

CaptainDingo
02-15-2009, 11:38 PM
No problem.

By the way, I found a better (in certain ways) version of the Euphoria Mod (the one that lets you hang from cars). This one (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2234) seems to only latch you on if you're grabbing somewhere on the side of the cars (the backs of many cars can't be grabbed on), but Niko's hands actually match perfectly with the surface (rather than Euphoria Mod where Niko's hands float some feet away from the cars most of the time) and there are far less errant grabs. It grabs on every time.

No idea why it's rated 4/10 stars, it's really solid. Maybe because you need to install it using the .NET ScriptHook (which is a different type of mod loader altogether) and most people don't know how to install it.

xALF
06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I haven't tested any of these mods for MP compatibility. You can try it out if you want, but it probably won't work.

By the way, for anyone interested, I'm making a very simple modification to Star Junction that is really only for my own personal use, but if someone else wants it, let me know.

I was looking at pictures of Times Square (what Star Junction is based off of) and noticed how bustling it is with people at all hours of the day. Unfortunately, in GTA IV, Star Junction is very devoid of people by comparison.

So I've taken the liberty of increasing the density of the pedestrians in that area by almost ten times normal. Performance doesn't suffer very much from doing it, oddly. And it feels a lot more like Star Junction is an important spot now that I've increased the pedestrians. It's packed now like Times Square is.

if you dont mind, could you show me how you went ahead and added more people to star junction? thanx.

bananajuice
06-22-2009, 04:19 PM
sorry i am confused, I want to try to play the "Museum and Bank Robbery Mod". so downloaded the file. I looked at the .rar ans see 3 .asi files. So all i need to do is copy these files to my \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV directory and start the game as normal.

what is the .asi loader and do i need it to run these mods. I already downloaded the asi installer but I rather just copy the files myself.

thanks inadvance

The Colossus
06-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Oh wow. I've owned GTA IV on PS3 since April 29th, 2008. It's still my favorite game of all. Unfortunately, my PS3 just broke a few days ago, and I've been dying to play GTA IV. I was avoiding the PC version because I've heard it's riddled with bugs and DRM, and because I've played every previous GTA on consoles and PC, and the controls on consoles were always superior. But I've finally given in, and my Steam version is downloading now. I'm REALLY looking forward to this now though. I love mods, and I've always wanted to be able to do bank robberies whenever, and now I will be able to! :D

Thanks for posting this stuff, I'm super pumped. I really love the Euphoria animations, and some of those mods could be super entertaining.

Hwkiller
06-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Woot, bankrobbery will be fun.
If it works on multiplayer, I will kiss the author's feet.

Aw fail: the euphoria mod doesn't work on the latest patch.
Neither does netkicker.

Oh well: character selector,realistic car damage, and bankrobbery are installed.

Oh boo again! Bank robbery doesn't work with the newest, nor does character selector. Only car damage works. Time will fix it, I assume.

The Colossus
06-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Awww, that's too bad. Currently I just have the bodyguard mod, and it's crazy awesome. I would love to be able to rob banks though...

Hwkiller
06-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Awww, that's too bad. Currently I just have the bodyguard mod, and it's crazy awesome. I would love to be able to rob banks though...

I retract my statement. It's working now... randomly.

Does it have anything to do with "scripthook.dll"?

The Colossus
06-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Oh sweet! I didn't actually try it myself, I just took your word for it, so I have absolutely no idea what the problem was. I did download the scripthook thing earlier though, so hopefully mine works.

EDIT: Does that possibly also affect the other mods you said didn't work with the most recent patch?

Fozruk
07-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I seem to be having a problem, I downloaded the asi loader and some mods but none of them work at all. Any suggestions?

Lennylol
08-25-2009, 01:18 PM

For the love of all that is holy, please deliver.

grims
08-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Just a bump on this topic. I haven't played GTA 4 in about 3 months and I just started playing again yesterday.

None of my mods work anymore and I assume all the patches broke them. I went to GTA4-Mods.com which was the same site that you linked all these. I redownloaded them all and the only one that works it the bodyguard mod. The rest are broken, even the updated ones.

So I am curious to know. Do the script mods no longer work... Besides the bodyguard mod?

If so, how do I get the other mods working? I was hoping for some custom car models, but they all require some program you have to pay for or something. Are there no car script mods?

The_Widow_Maker
03-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Did u get them working in the end with the new patch?

LTCHIPS
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Sweet, the bank robbery mission was my favorite in the game, so thanks for the guide!

Endorphinfreak
04-03-2010, 05:22 PM
i dodnt have that folder

steveya
05-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Bump.

Thanks for this info. I installed a mod and a ASI loader earlier today with no experience on them. It was made for an earlier patch of GTA4 so my GTA wouldn't even load. I managed to uninstall the mod but didn't have any idea about the ASI loader. Thankfully I found this thread (google is my friend) and i just deleted all the dlls in the GTAIV folder, validated the game and steam reinstalled them again. Now my GTA4 works like normal, well, it seems to.
Have some rep.

And lets try again with some of the mods that you've linked to :D

GAROG
05-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Nope, none of those mods are working for me... Which makes me sad face.
I personally think its the new updates that have broken the mods, which is a shame but I also do not have any evidence to back up my ideas.
Meh, if anyone finds a way of getting them to work Il be great full.

deadspace6000
05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
:( why is it working for everyone else but me when i start the game it says GTAIV has stopped working straight away. as soon as i get this figgred out im making a tut on youtube because thousands over GTAIV for steam want mods but dont know how to get them working please help me so i can help everyone else by making a youtube tut.

deadspace6000
05-13-2010, 09:58 AM
will not work for me :( the game will not start it just say GTAIV has stopped working please help

Paladriver
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Not working for me as well and I followed the instructions to the letter.

Deadly_Target
07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
will not work for me :( the game will not start it just say GTAIV has stopped working please help
I think it's because the ASI loader CaptainDingo linked is outdated.

ttcfcl
09-04-2010, 09:58 PM
None of the ASI loaders I've found have worked yet. Really wanna play that FPS mod :/

EliteTemptation
09-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Thanks, but the mods you listed give such a short lifetime

i recommend using some of the Trainers that are available out there, those really extend the life of the game 8)

and you can even bring them online in party mode/free mode to have tons even more fun, only downside is people can bring those into real matches, but i don't think many people even play real matches

jeremiah johnso
09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
do any of those mods work with gta eflc?

lunged
09-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Any updates on this? I have been searching for way too long now for an asi loader that works with 1.0.7.0

A few random posts indicate they got it working, but with no details or links.

I have the scripthook that is compatible with 1.0.7.0, but what good is that without an asi loader that works?

linksaint
10-05-2010, 04:04 AM
i put my asi loader into the gta4 folder with the ragdoll mod and my asi loader says that ragdoll is loaded but when i start the game none of the commands work :(

LaptopNut
10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Any updates on this? I have been searching for way too long now for an asi loader that works with 1.0.7.0

A few random posts indicate they got it working, but with no details or links.

I have the scripthook that is compatible with 1.0.7.0, but what good is that without an asi loader that works?

I have been using Mods with the latest patch very shortly after it was released. You need to check which scripthook you need but it is probably this one (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=390582) My GTA IV modding thread (http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/440277-gta-iv-modding.html) might give you more ideas why something is not working. Mod work fine for me with the original and the EFLC DLC.

Edit: Just noticed that the official scripthook links are dead.

Edit: I uploaded the required files here (http://www.mediafire.com/?an0qe3a18umd3ec) for anyone who wants them.

DarkDeserter
10-05-2010, 09:27 PM
I only have EFLC and none of the mods work for me :(

LaptopNut
10-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I only have EFLC and none of the mods work for me :(

If you are trying to mod EFLC directly you will need to run the EFLC IV unlocker (http://www.mediafire.com/?udzijmzuk3n) because as far as I remember, all of the main files are encrypted. You must have purchased the seperate EFLC Disks.

Since the original GTA IV files are not encrypted, the EFLC installed via GFWL does not need decrypting.

DarkDeserter
10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
After putting that in, I can't launch the game all I get is:

Unsupported exe, only 1.1.1.0 is supported.

LaptopNut
10-06-2010, 04:07 PM
After putting that in, I can't launch the game all I get is:

Unsupported exe, only 1.1.1.0 is supported.

You are either running an older unpatched version of EFLC and need to patch up to 1.1.1.0 or you have the latest which is probably 1.1.2.0 which might not be supported yet.

Navigate to your main EFLC exe, right click properties and check what version it is.

DarkDeserter
10-06-2010, 09:13 PM
It's 1.1.2.0

LaptopNut
10-07-2010, 06:51 AM
It's 1.1.2.0

It has been confirmed that Rockstar decrypted all files as standard with the 1.1.2.0 EFLC patch so the unlocker is no longer needed and that project closed. People have modded EFLC on your version. All you should need is the asi loader, the script for the mod and maybe Dsound.dll.

DarkDeserter
10-07-2010, 09:06 PM
It has been confirmed that Rockstar decrypted all files as standard with the 1.1.2.0 EFLC patch so the unlocker is no longer needed and that project closed. People have modded EFLC on your version. All you should need is the asi loader, the script for the mod and maybe Dsound.dll.

Got any suggestions on what dsound and asi loader to use?

LaptopNut
10-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Got any suggestions on what dsound and asi loader to use?

I don't have the same version of EFLC that you have but the ones I posted here (http://www.mediafire.com/?an0qe3a18umd3ec) are worth trying. You should also check to see what your Mod needs because some need scripthook.Net or alice and won't work without.

Joofee
11-13-2010, 07:41 AM
When I downloaded the mods and started up GTA4 it said "GTA4 has stopped working" As soon as I log into Live

TopHatMan
02-10-2011, 05:53 PM
When I downloaded the mods and started up GTA4 it said "GTA4 has stopped working" As soon as I log into Live

This is happening to me as well.

RoadKill94
02-17-2011, 06:51 AM
I cant get this (http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=5906) to work :(
anyone feel like helping me?

mbc
04-10-2011, 02:09 PM
I know this thread is old, but I'm bumping it for a good reason.

Today I downloaded both the asi loader and the ragdoll script listed by the OP of this thread. They both downloaded successfully, and I put all the files in the common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV folder. I then started GTA and the game initialized and played just fine; however, the mod did not work no matter what key I pressed.

After closing the game, I looked in the GTAIV folder and opened the ragdoll asi log that had been created. It said the asi loader initialized the mod just fine, but that the mod could not determine what version my game was, and that it defaulted to 1.0.3.0 (or something along those lines). No matter what it said, the mod didn't work no matter how many times I restarted the game.

Any advice?

Butch_N
04-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Every version update seems to break mods. At least that has been my experience.
You may need to find the mod you want for the current game version. 1.0.7 or whatever it is. Also probably need any of the loaders, etc. for said version.

Deadly_Target
04-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I know this thread is old, but I'm bumping it for a good reason.

Today I downloaded both the asi loader and the ragdoll script listed by the OP of this thread. They both downloaded successfully, and I put all the files in the common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV folder. I then started GTA and the game initialized and played just fine; however, the mod did not work no matter what key I pressed.

After closing the game, I looked in the GTAIV folder and opened the ragdoll asi log that had been created. It said the asi loader initialized the mod just fine, but that the mod could not determine what version my game was, and that it defaulted to 1.0.3.0 (or something along those lines). No matter what it said, the mod didn't work no matter how many times I restarted the game.

Any advice?
Try this one. (http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/download.php?f=13061)

mbc
04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Try this one.

Didn't work - and now it's not even creating an ragdoll asi log after I close the game.

jackleaon
04-11-2011, 10:48 AM
I love to play GTA with the use of cheat codes, trainer and modes. Its quite fun with that you feel super powerful & its easy to complete the part.

CurbTopGum
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
I put in asi loader and put in some mods I want. When I went to go load up gta 4 it keeps saying gta 4 stop working. Any hints why this is doing this

Hwkiller
07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
The mods may not be compatible with the current version of gta4

CurbTopGum
07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
so where can I get mod compatible for my gta 4? and how can I check what update I have?

BaconIsTasty
07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
anybody got some good mods that can fix a problem i'm having related to traffic flow with modded cars?

sugiikk
07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
hello, im new to gta4 (just got time play after bought it on previous sale.... >.<

wanna ask how to mod(already got sparkIV)
but some of car mod require edit on other files for handling....

what other mod tools support i need beside sparkIV ?

and i saw on youtube, that ppl got like console thing appear on screen so that he could change, the colour of car anytime he want, spawn any car he want, what mod is thaT ?

Ace Quat
07-28-2011, 04:38 PM
but some of car mod require edit on other files for handling....
car installation tutorial (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23592394&postcount=4)

what other mod tools support i need beside sparkIV ?
to run mods in the first place, you'll need xliveless OR asi-loader, not both. and for game mods, there are too many to list here. but you don't need further tools if you don't plan on creating mods yourself

and i saw on youtube, that ppl got like console thing appear on screen so that he could change, the colour of car anytime he want, spawn any car he want, what mod is thaT ?
everything you need (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=392973)

MrMeGusta89
06-24-2012, 10:49 AM
you sure the websites safe? Mcafee site adevisor thinks differently...

turtles788
01-05-2013, 07:53 PM
i can't find the download on the website anywhere

Dustinator999
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
I looked all over on http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/ for the ASI loader you promised, but I can't find it anywhere. Someone link me plz?

Nalydyenlo
02-02-2013, 07:15 PM
what is the .asi loader and do i need it to run these mods. I already downloaded the asi installer but I rather just copy the files myself.

thanks inadvance

An .asi loader as the name suggests, is a .dll file that loads up any .asi script files (mods) that are present in your game directory when the game starts up. In other words, it is simply a mod loader. If you have .asi mod files in your game directory but no .asi loader, they will not work. I use 'xliveless' which acts as an .asi loader amongst other things. You can find it here:

http://www.gtavision.com/index.php?section=downloads&site=do&DLID=2914

However, you may want to try other .asi loaders as xliveless also bypasses the Windows Live login and you can't play on line. It also makes the game load and save games to a different location on your HD.