PDA

View Full Version : S:HofWW2 on Vista 32bit

kingmenschke
02-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi Community,
little question:
Works Soldiers: Heroes of World War2 on a Vista 32bit system?

PS: Works all the new Codemasters games on Vista?
Please post here your expirence with the new codemasters games on Vista 32bit.

PurSpyk!!
02-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi,

I downloaded the demo and it works 100% on Windows Vista 32

matze^^
02-14-2009, 05:19 AM
There is a Vista patch for the retail version available.
http://www.codemasters.de/soldiers/downloads.php
Maybe it works with the steam version.

PurSpyk!!
02-14-2009, 05:28 AM
Well the demo version worked without any patches, so I am assuming the full version should work as well

sgtsolo
02-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Anyone tried it on Vista 64bit ?
I loved playing this game :)

kingmenschke
02-14-2009, 10:55 AM
thanks for the answers :)

PurSpyk!!
02-14-2009, 10:57 AM
We still don't know in the version available on Steam works in Vista though. I see www.gog.com also sell this game and it is listed as being Vista compatible. Would be interesting to know if they are using the original version or a modified version.

Saijax
02-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Just downloaded off steam and tried to start it:

Game will be terminated.

Says in the readme the patch is 1.28.3E. Downloaded the Vista patch from Codemasters and it won't install it because of this error: unkown version

Waste of 10 bucks. Only reason I got it off Steam is cause I couldn't find the CD's anymore.

PurSpyk!!
02-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Are you running Windows Vista? I want to buy this game but do not want a non working game in my Steam account again.

Saijax
02-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Why else would I of downloaded the Vista patch?

Ptbposse
02-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Ok, I want buy too this game but I'm not sure run. People bought the game: Can you try running in compability whit windows 98? I read in a forum is the way for work. That said:

Soldiers under Vista: There is a patch for vista users, but it doesn't always work. One workaround for this is to play the game using compatibility mode for Windows 98/Windows Me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=2472365

Reply if works (or not). Ciao

Saijax
02-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Doesn't work.

PurSpyk!!
02-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Why else would I of downloaded the Vista patch?

Sorry been a long day

Ptbposse
02-14-2009, 12:47 PM
someone that speak english better than I should do a ticket because if there are a official patch for the game, steam should fix that and give us. I dont go to buy the game if dont work.
Sorry for people that only bought a icon.

Mr.GrumpyMan
02-25-2009, 09:56 AM
someone that speak english better than I should do a ticket because if there are a official patch for the game, steam should fix that and give us. I dont go to buy the game if dont work.
Sorry for people that only bought a icon.

I got the same problem. Not working on my Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

Tried to install official patches, but it won't work because wrong version.

I have sent a question to Steam Support but haven't received a reply yet, and I don't think I'm gonna receive any, because on the Terms and Conditions, Steam says that they only supports games that don't install or don't run (having it an Steam error message), but this game crashes in the loading screen and the error is Windows-like.

So, sadly I got just another game on my list, but I cannot play :eek: Next time I will have to consider twice before buying something :o

PurSpyk!!
02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Too mnay broken games sold on Steam. Let us know what Support says.

Mr.GrumpyMan
02-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Too mnay broken games sold on Steam. Let us know what Support says.

I have bought like 20 games on Steam already and never had a single problem. This is the first time.

About the reply from Support... has been 2 days already and nothing received, even a single note saying "yes, we got your message" :confused:

Mr.GrumpyMan
02-27-2009, 01:16 AM
I have received a reply from Support. Unfortunately they just suggest to run the game in compatibility mode Windows 98, but I already tried it, as well as run it as Administrator.

PurSpyk!!
02-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the update, there are plent of games ie Spectraball (exteme lags, sound issues, no support from developers), Spellforce (camera bug that makes the game unplayable later in the campaign), iFluid (just cannot get this to run, see games form to see the issues), Wonderful End of the World (extreme lag later in the game, emailed developers, they they think it is a big joke)

kingmenschke
02-28-2009, 04:19 AM
My The Wonderful End of the World has no lags!

Mr.GrumpyMan
03-03-2009, 11:58 PM
This is the reply that I got. Very disappointing :-(

Hello Dave,

Further support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the link below for instructions to contact the support provider for this title:

Title: Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8818-YUSG-2977

PurSpyk!!
03-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Hi,

This is the standard email you get when requesting support for 3rd party games. You will lucky to get nay further response.

Mr.GrumpyMan
03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
This is the reply I got from Codemasters Support. At least they have replied within 3 hours:

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning Soldiers: Heroes of World War II.

This version of the game does not officially support Windows Vista, so we are limited in the support we can provide unfortunately. However as long as all your hardware has Vista compatible drivers, you should be able to get the game to run. We would also recommend running the game in Windows XP, 2000 or 98 compatibility mode (see the Windows help file for more information on this).

We have no plans for a Vista patch, I'm afraid.

Kind regards
Codemasters Customer Services

puffader
03-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Actually that worked and then start it from the S:HOWw2 test

GTX
06-15-2009, 10:15 AM
This game works on Vista too. For this, you must go to Steam/steamapps/common/soldiers heroes of world war 2
Right-click sodiers.exe
Select "Properties"
Go to the "Compatibility" tab
And change "Run this application in compatibility mode with Window 98/Me
Start game from "My Games" list and play ;)

tron_vix
07-02-2009, 05:28 PM
The last solution works ? :confused:
I want buy this game but I'm afraid about the vista issue.
That's another option. Buy it directly from codemasters site.
But's it's a bit expensive than Steam version.

TerranRaida
04-01-2010, 06:09 PM
This game works on Vista too. For this, you must go to Steam/steamapps/common/soldiers heroes of world war 2
Right-click sodiers.exe
Select "Properties"
Go to the "Compatibility" tab
And change "Run this application in compatibility mode with Window 98/Me
Start game from "My Games" list and play ;)

i tried that, and it told me to uncheck compatibility mode, and run again:confused::confused::confused:

zippythezip
04-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for info guys, now have it running on my win 7 although I had to get the vista patch from codemasters.
Thanks all :)

Squid3d
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I had similar problems getting this to work (win7 64)

I ended up installing the ahem...retail version , patching it then copying the .exe to the steam install.

runs in 98/me compat mode perfectly now.

if anyone wants the exe i can upload it somewhere no problem.

Nexant
05-26-2010, 07:20 PM
The compatibility mode worked for me using Win 7 64. Instead of using Win 98/Me I used Win 2000 compatibility.

Hawkerace
05-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Worked for me, did the compatibility mode, pressed applied and then through the steam program I clicked on Soldiers. Don't try to go directly through the application in the folder, it just says to de-activate the compatibility mode.

Vista 64 for me.