PDA

View Full Version : More minimal skin for Steam Friends

Ph0X_b01
02-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Ok well my problem with the skin is that there's too much waste of space. The skin organisation is horrible. I'm a minimalist person and wow, this just looks... just look

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5318/02152009071337ek2.png

Ofcourse you might say I made the window the smallest possible, but alot of people are at lower resolutions (800x600 or even 640x480) and specially ingame, sometimes people have to lower the resolution to get better fps and size of the window wont be much bigger than this.

Red = Friend's message area
Green = Your Message Area
Blue = "Obvious" wasted space

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2862/02152009070246pk2.jpg

I'd like to add that the wasted space is just in relation to the current skin. Ofcourse re-organizing the buttons placement and size will ofcourse reduce even more the wasted space.

Now, a quick photoshop (no perfection here) that somehow shows what I'm looking for.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7679/customsteamskinmt8.png

As you can see, there is way less wasted space, and couple extra buttons to make things easier/quicker (view profile, server info, aliases and block). The arrow is pretty useless, but I still left it there. We could even maybe put Join Server instead of View Profile and make it go to profile when you double click the image.

As you can see, I made the avatar twice as big, added status when ingame, and alot of other things. The scroll is transparent , but it should turn opaque when you hover over it.

I was thinking about totally removing the send button, but I still left it there in the corner.

Here's some stats about old/new skin.

Chars in convo box (old skin): ~200
Chars in convo box (new skin): ~490

Chars in message box (old skin): ~170
Chars in message box (new skin): ~335

As you can see, both have doubled.
It would be pretty amazing if someone could make an actual skin out of this. I have the PSD file with every part in a seperate layer and named, classed in folders and stuff. I just don't have enough free time nor knowledge to do it.

Other than the look, the only thing friends is missing, that would make it perfect for me, is LOGS. I cannot live without logs. I use them everyday. It's pretty much where I find all my information. I want to keep a picture I find funny, I send it to a friend, and when I need it again, I know around where in the logs I can find it. So when I talk in Steam, I feel like my conversation is lost... Timestamps are amazing too but the actions the other person does need timestamp too, not only what he says.

Oh and, one last thing. When someone's is not in-game, you can see if they are Snooze / Away / etc. But when they are ingame, you can't. Maybe seperate ingame not-ingame from status (away, snooze, busy, etc).

TheDaFox
02-15-2009, 05:23 PM
A++++ and not just because I'm in the picture.

Charax
02-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm all for anything that reduces wasted space. I don't think the avatar should be that big though (or, at least, it should be optional).

d3sufnoC
02-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Great ideas. Including tabbed messages would be perfect along with those :)

Ph0X_b01
02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm all for anything that reduces wasted space. I don't think the avatar should be that big though (or, at least, it should be optional).

Hmm yea, personally I like big avatars. I hate going to profile to see the bigger version. I actually had an idea. Maybe click it once and it goes this size, double click and it goes to their profile.

Scared
02-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm sorry, but I find that horribly messy and cramped. I agree that an 'optomisation' of the current layout would be good, but I feel that your example takes it 3 steps too far.

TehOMGFather
02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I think that tabbed messaging would be by far the best improvement at the moment. While the minimal skin is nice, it's mostly a personal preference which I'm sure not all would want. It would be nicer if you could completely re-theme Steam via XML or something though to achieve the same effect.

You do still get an A for effort.

Ph0X_b01
02-16-2009, 05:10 AM
I'm sorry, but I find that horribly messy and cramped. I agree that an 'optomisation' of the current layout would be good, but I feel that your example takes it 3 steps too far.

Well, it looks way more messy because I filled both boxes with max chars and put everything active and stuff.

If I put a normal coversation in there, it would look way cleaner. But yea I admit I took it a little too far, but like I said, it was just to show how much space was wasted in the original, when at lower resolution/window size. Ofcourse as the size of the window gets bigger, the % of wasted space gets smaller.

But yes, tabbed messaging and logs are definitly needed.

TheDaFox
02-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Two other things that should be fixed with the chat are:

Adding the ability to Shift+Enter
And fixing clickable urls.

Ph0X_b01
02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Two other things that should be fixed with the chat are:

Adding the ability to Shift+Enter
And fixing clickable urls.

Shift+Enter is possible, but it's CTRL + Enter (which is lame I know). Also, the Message Box only allows 3 lines (and it's not resizable, even in bigger window sizes it's always the same).

And URL's can be clicked after you send another line of text, but yes definitly needs to be fixed.

gadasiu
02-17-2009, 01:51 AM
A++ for that + add Custom Status to Steam Friends
It will be better than some messengers ;]

TheDaFox
02-17-2009, 02:40 AM
Shift+Enter is possible, but it's CTRL + Enter (which is lame I know). Also, the Message Box only allows 3 lines (and it's not resizable, even in bigger window sizes it's always the same).

And URL's can be clicked after you send another line of text, but yes definitly needs to be fixed.

Thanks for CTRL+Enter. But way to move away from the standards.:eek:

A++ for that + add Custom Status to Steam Friends
It will be better than some messengers ;]

That and a History would be very nice.

strandedPL
02-17-2009, 04:38 AM
It looks horrible.

Ph0X_b01
02-17-2009, 05:03 AM
It looks horrible.

Thanks for the constructive criticism I guess? Hah...
Well it's your opinion and I don't mind, but I like it so yup!

TheDaFox
02-17-2009, 06:53 AM
It looks horrible.

I bet to you if the current Steam chat looked like Ph0X's proposed one for the past 3+ years. And the new proposed one, was the current old one (If you can wrap your head around that) then you would probably still be complaining.

Ph0X_b01
10-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Finally found some time to work on this and made a first version:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11525765

Sgt. Fortune
10-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Good idea
The avatar and the four buttons around it sucks