PDA

View Full Version : Quake II Music Problem

Vmigo
02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
:rolleyes: Hey guys.. I need some help my computer at home runs quake II alright but there isnt any music and my friends computer which is way better hasnt got quake II music either.. Can anyone help?

RKN2K
02-28-2009, 11:09 PM
The Steam version of Quake 2 doesn't have music.

I suggest you follow the directions here (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Id_Super_Pack) to enable it. Source ports like KMQuake 2 support music, widescreen resolutions, and other improvements.

Calethos
03-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Quake 2 run music directly off a CD. If you have the original Q2 CD in your drive, you get all of the original game tracks. Each map has a variable that allows it to read a certain track off whatever disc. I'm not sure what for what map, but say you made a Q2DM26, you could set the map variable to read track 3 from the CD.

Pop in some Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor made the Q1 soundtrack, should have done Q2/3.

djZM
03-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Quake 2 run music directly off a CD. If you have the original Q2 CD in your drive, you get all of the original game tracks. Each map has a variable that allows it to read a certain track off whatever disc. I'm not sure what for what map, but say you made a Q2DM26, you could set the map variable to read track 3 from the CD.

Pop in some Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor made the Q1 soundtrack, should have done Q2/3.

NIN was awesome for the original Quake.. At least, that title track was.. everything else was just sfx and ambience.. Which is cool and all, but may have been why many people feel the Q1 single-player was mediocre.. There wasn't anything backing up the aggressive gameplay like there was in Quake 2..

Still, there's nothing quite like putting a Quake 2 CD in when playing Quake 1.. :p So naturally I feel (this is just my own personal opinion) that Sonic Mayhem did just fine for the Quake series--Way more then NIN did.. And NIN is one of my favorite bands, so that's saying something.. :)

It's also great to hear the old Q3 tunes still in motion in QuakeLive as well.. Good stuff. Sonic did a superb job with the Quake 3 soundtrack, finding a balance between that Q1 ambiance and the Q2 electronic-fused rock stuff.. It still sounds, today, like it was made.. today.. albeit it's ten years down the road now.. :)

djZM
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
But yes, opinions aside, I should have stated this already..

Unfortunately, even the Steam version of Quake 2 (which is digital download only) was not updated to include mp3 files for Q2. Nor was any other game (including Quake 1, Hexen, and Hexen 2 and their expansions)..

BUT.. if you go search for the Quake 2 soundtrack on whatever digital-download program you have, download the songs, then burn them to CD.. Insert the CD while you're playing, and you're good to go.

I don't consider it "pirating" if ID didn't include the original soundtrack with the download-version (whilst it was provided with the original game on CD).. hell, you can probably buy the full version of the original Q2 CD on eBay for less than you would pay for it individually on Steam.. :)

envirovore
03-23-2009, 11:31 PM

Trent only did the soundtrack to Q1. Had no involvement in Q2 or 3.

But as a bonus bit of NIN related gaming trivia, Chris Vrenna (NIN drummer during the Broken/Downward Spiral era tours) did the music for American McGee's Alice (which ran on the q3 engine, and was the first game to feature curved polygons).

ZeroSignal
03-28-2009, 10:34 PM
"C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe" -mount 0, "E:\Images\Quake II\QUAKE2.mds"
".\quake2.exe" +set cddir F:\install\data +set basedir e:\games\QUAKE2~1

I'll let you guess what this batch file command does. :)

Axe12389
05-17-2009, 06:41 PM
What? sorry I dont know much.

Vonje
05-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Trent only did the soundtrack to Q1. Had no involvement in Q2 or 3.

But as a bonus bit of NIN related gaming trivia, Chris Vrenna (NIN drummer during the Broken/Downward Spiral era tours) did the music for American McGee's Alice (which ran on the q3 engine, and was the first game to feature curved polygons).

What's a curved poly?

vXxo0oxXv
05-15-2010, 03:58 AM
If you want to hear quake 2 music without the CD, or on your pirate copy, update quake 2 to 3.20, and install UltimateQuake2Patch. This patch does something to the music files that allows them to play off the HD. Also, it enhances the graphics greatly. I was very happy to find this mod. I think it's downloadable off the steam site.

ZeroSignal
05-15-2010, 04:17 AM
What? sorry I dont know much.
It mounts an image of the original Quake II cd, which contains the audio data and lets me listen to music without using some source port that adds a bunch of un-needed crap (out of place graphical effects, etc..)

MenaceInc
05-15-2010, 09:41 AM
It mounts an image of the original Quake II cd, which contains the audio data and lets me listen to music without using some source port that adds a bunch of un-needed crap (out of place graphical effects, etc..)

Is widescreen support un-needed or out of place? :P