PDA

View Full Version : Compiling map makes PC freeze up.

LiquidOmegaWolf
02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Ok, for some reason now, whenever I try to compile my map now the entire comes crawling to a halt (& forcing me to restart my PC) once I hit the PortalFlow part of compiling. Anyone got a clue about this problem?

Blueberry_pie
03-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Are you sure it's not just taking a very, very long time? Some optimizations (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visibility_optimization#Reducing_VIS_compile_time) might be in order.

Karlos_Modder
03-01-2009, 07:33 AM
PortalFlow can take a while to do sometimes a few hours. This is out of my TF2 map. Its only one stage and it has this many portalclusters and numportals

826 portalclusters
2516 numportals

It can take upto 50 mins to finish. And then another 30min for Vrad, if i have HDR enabled it takes another 30min. So thats already 2hrs for my map to compile and its only 1/3rd finished.

So optimize as much as you can to limit portalclusters and numportals using hint brushes and areapotals.

ICantShoot
03-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Well optimized map will compile in ~30 mins. However, in the past while i learned to do maps, first "real" map of mine first took over 48 hours, then i managed to "optimize" it so it only took 17 hours. :P

These days i can get to less than 30mins. So, your map is just propably taking long time. Leave PC on over night and see if its done in the morning.

Sgt Frag
03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
If it takes any longer than a few minutes to do the portal flow you HAVE to optimize. The map will have a terrible framerate even if it does eventually finish compiling.

The only thing that should take alot of time is lighting. And we are talking 30-60 minutes at most.