PDA

View Full Version : Why did they drop Steamworks in favour of Gamespy?

gimpymoo
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
What problems did you have with Steamworks?

I thought matchmaking was one thing which Steamworks does?

Empire: Total War does it very well.

Nox
04-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Who knows, but Gamespy comrade is broken to hell in Steam. Can't play matches directly with any of my friends in either UT3 or AoB...

AgeOfStrife
04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
The Steam master server handling was, I believe, the clincher. It can take 5-10 mins or more for a server to be returned in master server queries, whereas the Gamespy masters report a running server about 5 seconds after it's started up - if you start a server in Buc then it's now visible via the ingame browser pretty much immediately rather than having to wait ages like the Steam system required. Also the Gamespy networking code makes it a doddle to host your own server as it uses UPnP to configure compatible routers without the player having to know anything about how to open up incoming ports. I've been playing Buc online since the before the beta, and the multiplayer handling now is much better than it was via Steamworks.

Whoops
09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
What? This game uses gamespy for online modes? Well, great, that just killed the chance of buying the game for me, may as well uninstall the demo before I try it. If the dev's think that the online is the main joy of the game and it's over a service that I despise, no point really in buying it.

Rumina
06-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Aw dang, was about to buy this game on sale until I saw this.

Dopedfish
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Are you guys high? Steamworks is terrible. I've played a million games that use Gamespy and haven't had a problem.

I've had nothing BUT trouble with Steamworks.

Bought a copy for myself and a friend to make up for your lack of sales.