PDA

View Full Version : A constructive thread to help John Warner

rvdm88
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
i am starting this thread for John Warner, the Dev of this game.

Most people on these forums, have the tendency to rant and complain about this game, that is,
(nowdays atleast) not one of the best indie games we played.
And complain that it has certain flaws.

I'd like to start this thread as a suggestion thread, not a "rant the game to the ground" thread ;)
everyone who has a idea with features or things that would improve the game, is welcome to post and discuss it like grownups ;).

though this thread might get loaded with ideas, Jhon Warner is ofcourse not obliged to take every option into the game, but there will be some constructive feedback for him to work with atleast! :D

(forum manual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCPJH6swoY)

Slowest
04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
I think it would be better to start with bug reports before actually suggesting new features, wouldn't it?

Here are my bugs:

- I can see the structure with the dots, I can rotate it ok, but rays never show up.

- When I select default musics, it plays ok, but if I want to customize the playlist and put my own mp3 into it, instead of author and title, I have " ? - ? " or something like that (hard to read...) and there's no music ingame.

That's all I'm capable of reporting so far... :)

System specs:

Windows XP Home (fully updated)
Celeron 2,8 GHz
7600 GS (fully updated, in AGP)
1600x1050 22" screen ratio display

John Warner
04-21-2009, 05:23 PM
great idea, rvdm88. sure, I'll make this a sticky!

And don't worry about posting if you're upset and want to vent. You guys have been super cool, and if anyone is pissed off.. meh. I won't cry myself to sleep :)

I've got quiitee a growing list.

1. The game starts, the music plays, but no rays show up
2. mp3s with no artist and title are confusing to some users
3. integrate other resolutions
4. Pause feature is needed... with volume control and/or mouse sensitivity if possible.
5. other music formats requested, such as AAC formats.
6. mouse movement jerky for some users.
7. one report of the evolution target being before the starting position (?)
8. one report of shapes not appearing after stage 26.. (??.. weird..)
9. mouse sensitivity
10. volume control
11. a note in the options menu for windowed mode.

some feature requests

1. more syncage with music. -- dunno if i can promise this one too much. there's always going to be cases that don't... exactly work
2. different music-genre settings to improve syncage.
3. visualization system requested.
4. an ability to add entire music directories at once, instead of having to select files.

JohnWB3
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm enjoying this game so far but would like to point out one bug that is making the experience a little frustrating.

The Song Manager doesn't work for me on my Vista x64 machine. When you click on the + button to bring up the open file dialog box, the game locks up until I hit Esc. Because of this, I cannot play my own music on my Vista machine. The Song Manager works fine on my XP machine.

I just wanted to let the devs. know just in case this hasn't happened to anyone else.

John Warner
04-22-2009, 10:46 AM
ah thanks sucks

okay there should be a temporary work around. if you hit alt+enter to go to windowed mode, the file browser should show up. this is a bug where it sometimes doesn't appear over the fullscreen app.

rvdm88
04-22-2009, 02:44 PM
i thought of another thing, how about, when a wrong color hits a center circle, instead of just silently dimming, there could be some explosion, or some crack (like shattered glass) this would give some more (negative) feedback about how bad it's for your score ;)

binguin
04-23-2009, 09:47 AM
i thought of another thing, how about, when a wrong color hits a center circle, instead of just silently dimming, there could be some explosion, or some crack (like shattered glass) this would give some more (negative) feedback about how bad it's for your score ;)
That gave me another idea. When you hit a corlor right it should show a little firework kind of thing and when you don't hit a circle correct I should do nothing (like now). So instead of giving negative feedback when you don't hit a note you get positive feedback when you hit correctly :D. If this was done well it could also solve the lack of visualizer a little.

Maninblack144
04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Pretty funky game. For only 4 euros I had no reason not to buy it after liking the demo.

I was experiencing some lag at first but that was caused by my virusscanner running scans at the same time so I was able to solve it.

I think the missing .mp3 title and author names are because not every .mp3 file has a proper Title and Author embedded in it. And the game can't just decypher the filename.

Another problem that occured with me is that sometimes when I select a group of songs to put in a playlist, instead of the songs a single line "MISSING FILE: C:/Users/..." appears, but I solved that by selecting the songs one by one.

Ofcourse I tried to force the resolution through the config files but no luck. I was able to enable the console though. A quick run through the commands shows quite some things involving Highscores, but when these commands are executed the console says the Highscore stuff can't be found. Too bad, I think a highscore system would do quite well on this. Forcing the resolutions only made the game screen appear in the top left corner with the same res as before and with the rest of the screen flickering. I need widescreen.

There was also a record command for recording movies, but it just generated a large number of .png files in my directory that together form a movie, but quite inefficiently because it lagged the game terribly.

Another slight problem I found is that sometimes in a game the rays spawn in a way that makes it imposssible to catch them all. This could be intentional (albeit sadistic) but it's still quite annoying at times.

My two cents. Keep up the good work and I hope for a patch to appear anytime soon, even though I don't want you to rush or anything because quality outweighs quantity.

EDIT:
I am experiencing another, really annoying bug. The game always ends before the time runs out. It completely stops me from making progress. The time bar is only halfway before the game says I've lost already.

drewjustforyou
04-25-2009, 12:58 AM
pause feature is definitely #1!

how about having a background option? (ive only played on easy mode, but its very plain)

maybe make the center (white) ball bounce/grow a little with the beat of the music?

oh and continue points? (this may already be in havent played that much)

and a brightness option?

Maninblack144
04-25-2009, 05:56 AM
EDIT:
I am experiencing another, really annoying bug. The game always ends before the time runs out. It completely stops me from making progress. The time bar is only halfway before the game says I've lost already.
I seem to have solved this by removing my temporary files.

bFunk
04-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Are there any plans for FLAC support? I really don't deal in MP3 as most of my music library is made up of rips of my own cds which I do in FLAC format.

psysix
05-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Count me as someone who doesn't get textures at the Egocentric stage. This pretty much makes the game impossible to actually complete.

Yownage
06-05-2009, 03:20 AM
Okay, so its not the best game in the world, but its a hell of a good game for only five bucks.

There are a couple things i would like to see.

1#. ACA file support, even WMA would be nice but since i use itunes most of my library in inacessible
2#. Some kind of visualisation. Just to help the game along a bit. (what would be really awesome here is if you could beat audiosurf [sorry for the comparison] and allow a video to play in the background)

Oh, and a final word for all you 'beatsync' naysayers. Have you tried still alive (portal credits) on funky? Perfectly Matches.

John Warner
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
yo guys, thanks again for the replies.

The way it's going, it's not looking like my partner is exactly *excited* to add much more support, like cool little effects that go with the music. that being said, there might be stuff coming down the line.. I might be able to get some other dude to do some work for us.. but it'll be a matter of time.

the patch is coming soon. (I know i keep sayin that!)

Windows 2000
06-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Any sort of progress? Or is this game pretty much dead? I hope things are just quiet and there still is a patch in the making, or Raycatcher is pretty much dead in my eyes.

No working pause button makes for a terribad game, as I can't stop and reply to people messaging me on steam, to grab a bite to eat, or run to the bathroom, and single song sessions kinda suck due to being too easy and no real progression.

Slowest
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM
No working rays makes this game... not a game.

Slowest
06-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Heeeeeeelloooooooooo ? ;)

Malakun
06-18-2009, 04:31 PM
5. other music formats requested, such as AAC formats.

Like Flac & ogg :rolleyes:

rvdm88
12-15-2009, 05:21 AM
any life left in this game?
or is this a game that never became one?

Eraser74
04-20-2010, 11:09 PM
This game is dead! I recommend to anyone who is interested in buying it to just not do it.

This game has MAJOR bugs and doesnīt really do what the description says, as in syncing with your music or giving any form of feedback to your music being played.

DONīT BUY!

This was a major waste of money!

MelMel
04-30-2010, 07:42 PM
I hardly consider $5 a MAJOR waste of money, considering I've spent more for fast food meals that I ended up not liking at all. But this game- it could have been good, but wasn't. Too repetitive with too much flash and not enough interesting interaction.