PDA

View Full Version : Razer - no drift control?

Timon5022
04-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Apparently Razer have added a firmware update to their deathadder which disables "Drift Control", and it's meant for people to download if they don't really like drift control, no other changes to the firmware has been made.

My question is, what is drift control? :o Is it something worth disabling for more precision and for use when it comes to "professional gaming"?

Thanks in advance

rotNdude
04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Drift control or "prediction" is really only appreciated at low/med mouse sensitivity settings and in programs that are 3D painting/modeling software. It won't make you more accurate when it comes to gaming. I wouldn't worry about it.

Piez
05-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I just installed this on my deathadder yesterday,and it make it feel perfect for me now

Timon5022
05-31-2009, 09:53 AM
would it be possible to revert the changes if one doesn't like it?

BoomSlang
06-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm more of a twitch-based gamer playing L4D and Unreal Tournament series, but after flashing my mouse to the NDC firmware it seems a lot better. FYI, I also do graphics work.

An easy test to do with a DeathAdder is to go into paint and draw circles. You'll notice your circles, no matter how circular your movement is, will have random hard edges. That's just not right. After updating I can make my circles look like circles. No more hard edges. I would suggest doing it. In most cases NDC isn't needed.

It also shortens the length the IR laser responds to. In most cases that will only benefit you.

I'm honestly not sure if you can switch back, but I doubt it. It's a little risky if you don't like it, but if you're not twitch and are more precise, you won't even notice it. It seems the feedback is very positive regarding this firmware.

lawlexander
10-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm more of a twitch-based gamer playing L4D and Unreal Tournament series, but after flashing my mouse to the NDC firmware it seems a lot better. FYI, I also do graphics work.

An easy test to do with a DeathAdder is to go into paint and draw circles. You'll notice your circles, no matter how circular your movement is, will have random hard edges. That's just not right. After updating I can make my circles look like circles. No more hard edges. I would suggest doing it. In most cases NDC isn't needed.

It also shortens the length the IR laser responds to. In most cases that will only benefit you.

I'm honestly not sure if you can switch back, but I doubt it. It's a little risky if you don't like it, but if you're not twitch and are more precise, you won't even notice it. It seems the feedback is very positive regarding this firmware.
what do you mean by twitch?

Pickanewnameplzkthx
10-23-2009, 09:17 PM
I wish they had this for the Copperhead too. They got their act together at Razer, and they look for even the slightest details to make these mice the fastest most precise mice available. I really love My Copperhead. I really do hope they release some NDC drivers for the Copperhead too.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of settings on these systems that you have to fix to get them setup for gaming. It's like a neverending process trying to tweak them to perfection. You constantly shoot for perfection, but never reach it. I'll never give up trying though. :)

richard.eid
10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Drift Control (http://help.razersupport.com/us-en/resolution.asp?sid=003511091024024154214077&pid=1626&pnm=Razer+DeathAdder&seid=400001269&pos=Windows+7&top=General+Information&rid=400001612)

I upgraded to the 1.28NDC (http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=263&nav=0) firmware and haven't noticed too much of a difference day to day. It's there, but I honestly could have lived the rest of my life with drift control turned on and been none the wiser. Whatever, though. I believe what prompted Razer to incorporate(or is it unincoporate?) this feature was the response shown by the community in this thread (http://razerblueprints.net/index.php/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99/topic,7986.0/). I figured I'd give it a shot and haven't been disappointed...you know, except for that little malware fiasco (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2009/09/23/razer-ships-malware-with-drivers/1) they went through when I downloaded the updated firmware and driver.

Eh, I suppose it gave me the motivation to finally ditch my old rig and put together the new one, so...win-win!

Anyway, this is the release log:

- Turns off mouse drift control (aka prediction).

NB: Most low/mid sensitivity users prefer to retain the Drift Control Feature (also known as Prediction).
Do not Flash to the NDC firmware unless you prefer to switch off the Drift Control feature.
So there's that. Plus, that last little tidbit leads me to believe that you won't be able to go back to 1.27 or any other previous firmware revisions.

EDIT: So I skipped the blah, blah at the end of that Drift Control article the first time I read it. Before I closed the tab, I noticed:

If you try it and don't like the results you can easily return to the original firmware.
So there's also that.

Stryker2[X]
10-24-2009, 08:13 AM
I updated my Deathadder to NDC and I like it better.