PDA

View Full Version : Saints Row 2 lag

Darkness1313
05-04-2009, 11:32 PM
So... I get like a 1-5 second freeze lag when im playing, about every 15-30 seconds, mostly when I'm driving. Is there any fix or solution to this?

System specs

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 3584MB RAM

Hard Drive: 660 GB Total

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)

capable heart
05-04-2009, 11:40 PM
So... I get like a 1-5 second freeze lag when im playing, about every 15-30 seconds, mostly when I'm driving. Is there any fix or solution to this?

System specs

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 3584MB RAM

Hard Drive: 660 GB Total

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)

Nope, this is a well known problem. They are not going to fix it.

It is because the company who converted the game to PC from consoles didn't program it right. The problem doesn't happen on consoles, even though computers usually have much more poweful hardware.

They know it happens on the PC but either can't or won't fix it. It's the number one problem complained about in the troubleshooting forum on the official Saints Row 2 website, and even the Steam patch notes for SR2 admit that it's there.

Descriptions here:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?filter=updates&appids=9480

http://community.saintsrow.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28462

Darkness1313
05-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Nope, this is a well known problem. They are not going to fix it.

It is because the company who converted the game to PC from consoles didn't program it right. The problem doesn't happen on consoles, even though computers usually have much more poweful hardware.

They know it happens on the PC but either can't or won't fix it. It's the number one problem complained about in the troubleshooting forum on the official Saints Row 2 website, and even the Steam patch notes for SR2 admit that it's there.

Descriptions here:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?filter=updates&appids=9480

http://community.saintsrow.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28462

Ahh thats pretty lame... thanks tho... And thanks for the fast reply as well

Mister_jeffry
05-30-2009, 03:49 PM
actually it happens on my xbox at certain points in the game, the programming is bad at the first mission when your on the boat, not only computers but they certainly do it more often

Slabx
07-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I'v also had the lag problem with driving, thats all the rest of the game runs perfect, I installed new drivers but that didn't help, I habe read in other fourms that it was to do with the programming aswell, hope there is a fix for it soon.

RottenApple32
07-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Great. So these idiots release a game that's badly optimised, expect us to pay full price for it and then not even fix such issues as this? I suppose turning down graphics significantly wouldn't help then.

Also, may I say how Godawful the controls are? In GTA games, I can drive the car with the keyboard no problem, handbrake turns and all. With this game, driving with the keyboard renders the game unplayable, so I have to use my Xbox 360 pad and I prefer mouse/keyboard for this sort of game!

mongito
06-05-2010, 01:29 PM
No better news since 2009 ?

w0bbl3r
07-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Great. So these idiots release a game that's badly optimised, expect us to pay full price for it and then not even fix such issues as this? I suppose turning down graphics significantly wouldn't help then.

Also, may I say how Godawful the controls are? In GTA games, I can drive the car with the keyboard no problem, handbrake turns and all. With this game, driving with the keyboard renders the game unplayable, so I have to use my Xbox 360 pad and I prefer mouse/keyboard for this sort of game!

I find driving just as bad with the gamepad, as the car steering is so sensitive they will spin out of control if you try to turn a corner at anything faster than walking speed.
There ARE fixes for the lag, but only for windows vista/7, and I'm running on XP.
They dont seem to admit it happens on XP, but I suffer the exact same problems, and have read other complaints that it happens as well.
I only paid 2.49 for it, but thats not the point. That was 2.49 I could have spent on a DECENT game instead in the sales, right?

dadoran_weska
07-04-2010, 01:07 AM
They dont seem to admit it happens on XP, but I suffer the exact same problems, and have read other complaints that it happens as well.
I only paid 2.49 for it, but thats not the point. That was 2.49 I could have spent on a DECENT game instead in the sales, right?

i agree 100% getting same issue on WinXP SP3

Alexc26
07-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I am experiencing the stutter/lag while driving, and it is bloody annoying, the rest of the game is awesome, but the driving does ruin it a bit, if there are any known fixes, patches, downloads, tweaks, ANYTHING someone say please :)

IdolNinja
07-04-2010, 03:51 PM
I am experiencing the stutter/lag while driving, and it is bloody annoying, the rest of the game is awesome, but the driving does ruin it a bit, if there are any known fixes, patches, downloads, tweaks, ANYTHING someone say please :)

This has helped most everyone in our Steam SR2 group on Vista/7. I would try the prefetch tricks first and reboot, and then try the rest if you're still having issues:
http://community.saintsrow.com/forums/topic/43379

LDSkinny
07-07-2010, 10:12 PM
See, my problem isn't any kind of framerate issues.

When I play coop with my roommate, it runs perfectly on both our comps performance wise. The issue we have is that whoever isn't the host gets massive latency issues. Enemies teleport around all over the place, and when the driving starts? Forget it. A car will be 500 yards away one second, then they'll be in front of us the next. Sometimes he'll crash the car into the wall, then the game figures out we didn't actually crash and teleports the car a mile forward driving just fine.

Was just wondering if this is a problem with our connection or a known game issue with a fix?

IdolNinja
07-07-2010, 11:00 PM
It could be one of two things:

* Latency issues like you thought (doubtful though if it's your roommate)

*Speedup problem with Windows 7
If one of you has the speedup bug (it's more severe the further your cpu is from 3.2Ghz) and is running at a different speed than the other, then it will cause all sorts of holy hell like that with the other player teleporting around. More info on the speedup bug can be found here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1197682

You can grab the fix we released for it here:
http://saintsrowpowertools.com

LDSkinny
07-08-2010, 01:15 AM
It could be one of two things:

* Latency issues like you thought (doubtful though if it's your roommate)

*Speedup problem with Windows 7
If one of you has the speedup bug (it's more severe the further your cpu is from 3.2Ghz) and is running at a different speed than the other, then it will cause all sorts of holy hell like that with the other player teleporting around. More info on the speedup bug can be found here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1197682

You can grab the fix we released for it here:
http://saintsrowpowertools.com

What exactly is the speedup bug? I'm kind of getting the idea that it's when the game runs too slow or too fast based on a glitch with processor detection. If that's the case, that isn't my problem. We both have the exact same hardware configuration down to the last part (got a deal on buying two sets of the parts). Neither of us have any issue in single player, this is purely a multiplayer thing, and only affects the one who isn't the host. I haven't seen anyone else mentioning this, so I'm guessing it's a problem on my end.

IdolNinja
07-08-2010, 01:34 AM
What exactly is the speedup bug? I'm kind of getting the idea that it's when the game runs too slow or too fast based on a glitch with processor detection. If that's the case, that isn't my problem. We both have the exact same hardware configuration down to the last part (got a deal on buying two sets of the parts). Neither of us have any issue in single player, this is purely a multiplayer thing, and only affects the one who isn't the host. I haven't seen anyone else mentioning this, so I'm guessing it's a problem on my end.

The speedup bug is a Windows 7 issue where the game runs much faster than it should in like a fast forward mode if your cpu is a higher or lower frequency than 3.2Ghz. So, a 3Ghz clock speed would be slightly faster, and a 2Ghz clock speed would be extremely fast.

But, since you're on the same hardware, then that's probably not the cause. Sounds like something is causing a latency problem on your network.

EDIT:
Unless you're each on a different OS perhaps? One on Win7 and the other on Vista or something(since the bug only affects Win7 users)?

LDSkinny
07-08-2010, 02:26 AM
The speedup bug is a Windows 7 issue where the game runs much faster than it should in like a fast forward mode if your cpu is a higher or lower frequency than 3.2Ghz. So, a 3Ghz clock speed would be slightly faster, and a 2Ghz clock speed would be extremely fast.

But, since you're on the same hardware, then that's probably not the cause. Sounds like something is causing a latency problem on your network.

EDIT:
Unless you're each on a different OS perhaps? One on Win7 and the other on Vista or something(since the bug only affects Win7 users)?

Actually, funny you mention that. He is running Win7 and I'm running Vista 64 bit... I think I'll try the fix you linked. Our processor clock speeds are very close to what you mentioned, so it's possible that it's affecting his system, but not so much that he notices it as a problem.

IdolNinja
07-08-2010, 02:52 AM
What cpu is he using? I can probably get you a good ballpark figure to set in the .ini. There's also a stopwatch test you can grab to try and get an exact time:
http://finalack.com/Idol/SR2_Speedup_Stopwatch_Test_v1.1.rar

You can safely ignore the instructions in the test to email me the info (since we already released the fix.) The test itself though should be a good indication if you have the slowdown value correct and hit 1:43.23 at the audio beep of the first checkpoint:

I've actually been meaning to bundle that test in with the speedfix and additional instructions, just haven't got around to it yet. Also, make sure to backup your original patch.vpp_pc when applying the stopwatch test and restore it back when done, otherwise all Bezier class cars will only have a top speed of 1mph (which was part of the test.)

LDSkinny
07-08-2010, 03:13 AM
What cpu is he using? I can probably get you a good ballpark figure to set in the .ini. There's also a stopwatch test you can grab to try and get an exact time:
http://finalack.com/Idol/SR2_Speedup_Stopwatch_Test_v1.1.rar

You can safely ignore the instructions in the test to email me the info (since we already released the fix.) The test itself though should be a good indication if you have the slowdown value correct and hit 1:43.23 at the audio beep of the first checkpoint:

I've actually been meaning to bundle that test in with the speedfix and additional instructions, just haven't got around to it yet. Also, make sure to backup your original patch.vpp_pc when applying the stopwatch test and restore it back when done, otherwise all Bezier class cars will only have a top speed of 1mph (which was part of the test.)

Using an i7, but I'm not sure what clock speed he has his set at. I'll have to check that later. I'll run the stopwatch test next time I can access his comp.

LDSkinny
07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Aha! He was running slightly faster, we ended up tweaking it with the race test, and now it runs perfectly!

I greatly appreciate the time you took to help with this issue.

hellotyler
07-20-2010, 12:06 PM
This is insane. How can they get away with selling a game that is essentially unplayable without all kinds of patches!? I loved this game on the 360 so I decided to grab it for PC, what a mistake. I should have read these forums first. I'll give the speed fix a try now.

BoogieManFL
07-20-2010, 07:59 PM
People should take the time to E-Mail the developers and let them know how disappointed you are.

duncanperham
03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
bought this a while ago in a bundle, same driving lag problem, not a surprise though, several of the other games bundled with it were bugged and unplayable or just rubbish. Why release a bundle of old rubbish with a few good games just to make it look good?. never buying a bundle again from steam thats for sure. worst thing is you cant delete them from your steam account, so im stuck with this crap 4ever now :(

deathfromace
03-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I just got around to playing this game with a friend of mine and sad to that the game did not get cared for. It is still a fairly fun game to play with a friend but the lag is annoying.