PDA

View Full Version : No game related to HL1 is working online

Rayk_2
05-11-2009, 11:43 AM
First of all here is my old post:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602589

And i can say one of those 2 updates brought this bug or w/e you call it to my account
http://store.steampowered.com/news/1208/
http://store.steampowered.com/news/1214/

Short Description: I can play any game that's related to the Source engine (CS:S, HL2, Gmod, and so on) on online servers, but any game related to HL1 freezes at Precaching Resources and than after some minutes "Connection timed out".

I tried verifying game cache files, uninstall - reinstall, game hangs at precaching resources, interport access and the thing some guys said when i searched with google (write in config.cfg precache "1" and fs_lazy_precache "1") but nothing worked for me and as i've seen i'm not the only person who lacks at help.

The download is completed (100%) no hint for an update running at the time i'm trying to join a server and i have the german version of the steam interface

PC specs:
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 2.13GHz
2,00GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

I hope someone will find a solution for this already.

AciD
05-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Have you tried re-adding HL.exe to firewall/antivirus exception list?

cryptodan
05-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Try this: Driver Sweeper (http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/). Half-Life 1 games rely on OpenGL and your install maybe corrupted.

Rayk_2
05-12-2009, 06:00 AM

I disabled the firewall and this bug came with a steam update before that update everything worked just fine

To cryptodan:
I always played Half-Life and mods with my own legal CD-Key (played always OpenGL) and that update ruined my whole HL1 game but anyway i'll give it a try

Edit: It didn't helped but thanks

cryptodan
05-12-2009, 06:50 AM
When I stated that your install maybe corrupted I meant your Video Card drivers, and Driver Sweeper completely removes them then you install a clean copy.

Rayk_2
05-12-2009, 08:22 AM
When I stated that your install maybe corrupted I meant your Video Card drivers, and Driver Sweeper completely removes them then you install a clean copy.

Ah ok sry for that but it didn't helped me with this bug

cryptodan
05-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Did you try driver sweeper then reinstall the latest video card drivers from www.nvidia.com?

Rayk_2
05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Did you try driver sweeper then reinstall the latest video card drivers from www.nvidia.com?

I tried that but it didn't worked, but thanks for your help

cryptodan
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
THen there is something wrong with your installation of windows or your video card.

Rayk_2
05-15-2009, 06:28 AM
THen there is something wrong with your installation of windows or your video card.

I formated my hard drives several times and buyed new ones (when the old ones were useless) but this bug always appeared when i tried to run HL1 or mods (HL2 and other Source games work fine) and some months ago i buyed a new video card, so i don't think that's the case.

The most important point is that this occured after one of the updates i mentioned in my first post.

cryptodan
05-15-2009, 06:36 AM
We all received the same updates, so if it was an update that caused then everyone that plays HL1 and TFC and other HL1 based mods would be experiencing this. Replace your video card next.

Rayk_2
05-15-2009, 08:28 AM
We all received the same updates, so if it was an update that caused then everyone that plays HL1 and TFC and other HL1 based mods would be experiencing this. Replace your video card next.

To make it clear my brother has the same issue and i don't think that's natural and some other have that too (searched after Cache related things and found some player with the same issue and no result to fix that); does the NVidia graphic card cause problems to HL1 or what is the case?

cryptodan
05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
To make it clear my brother has the same issue and i don't think that's natural and some other have that too (searched after Cache related things and found some player with the same issue and no result to fix that); does the NVidia graphic card cause problems to HL1 or what is the case?

I have a nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 640 and can play HL1 just fine with no issues, so yes the issue is your video cards.

Rayk_2
05-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I have a nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 640 and can play HL1 just fine with no issues, so yes the issue is your video cards.

Sry but i can't believe that because the nvidia graphic card i got right now isn't the one i had when this bug occured (2 years ago) and one more thing is that there are some server (1 of 1000 if i'm lucky) where i can join to.

hasta
05-22-2009, 03:17 PM
same problem, before that it was all right

Rayk_2
06-06-2009, 08:19 AM

Tried it but it didn't worked

cryptodan
06-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Time to RMA the video card and get another one. It is obviously defective.

Rayk_2
07-17-2009, 06:33 AM
I don't know how but this problem is now solved Steam said Half-Life download completed (even though it was before) and now i can join servers again, i hope this problem will never occur again

Big thanks to Steam supporters if they did something

dustoff53
07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I have the same problem. Been trying to get help from tech support for over a month. Same issue as yours. Game (Day of Defeat) played fine until a steam update about six weeks ago. Ever since then each time I try to connect to a server the game stalls at "precaching resources" and I have to reboot.