PDA

View Full Version : How to get better at Counter Strike?

xadavid
05-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Everyone knows counter strike, so many people play it.(You must have been living under a rock your whole life if you didn't)
With many people,you have many skill levels...

I'm just your Average Joe who just plays the game for fun and to enjoy the game. I have so-so skill and i'm the guy who can get a couple kills, seldomly get some headshots, and usually ends up around the middle of the scoreboard. Some times i get those "moments" where your a little better than usual and kick @$$.

However, you also have those guys who's at the top of the scoreboard and have no life other than to sit at their computer and beat up people like me.The ones who constantly kill you with headshots from across the map and can take you down before your even aware of him.

I don't like to get owned alot cuz that just ruins the game for me; then taking the fun out of playing.

Any tips that can help you have fun and play better in counter strike? (PS. I've CS:S playing for about two months *I dont know why i didn't start a long time ago :D)

***Edit: Seems like some guys get emotional when i said "However, you also have those guys who's at the top of the scoreboard and have no life other than to sit at their computer and beat up people like me."

^Just a joke! Chill, not all guys are like that.^ Thanks for the advice guys! Happy fragging!

Mark316
05-13-2009, 06:56 PM
PS. I've CS:S playing for about two months

There's your problem. CS/CSS takes a long time and lots of practice to be topping the scoreboard consistantly.

abstract1337
05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Either:

1. Play A LOT
2. Buy a guide like the CS:S WoP Guide.
3. Sign up for lessons (good ones aren't free though)

xadavid
05-13-2009, 07:05 PM
There's your problem. CS/CSS takes a long time and lots of practice to be topping the scoreboard consistantly.

Of course. Counter Strike takes lots of time to get better at but how are you going to get better if you don't learn how? That's what the thread is for :D

sper09
05-13-2009, 10:05 PM
However, you also have those guys who's at the top of the scoreboard and have no life other than to sit at their computer and beat up people like me.The ones who constantly kill you with headshots from across the map and can take you down before your even aware of him.

We're not all super nerds that sit at the top of the charts...but I would recommend strafe shooting as a start. Make sure you are not moving when you fire with a rifle. Get a pair of good headphones so you can listen to footsteps better. There are many tips/threads on this board if you search for them.

danPV
05-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Learning how to play smart > your ability to aim.

Using all of your resources at your disposal, such as your sound and your previous experience based upon the map you play, come into play far more often than how good your flick-shot is. Having that advantageous position and intelligently parsing threats is what will make you better. Intelligently parsing your teammates movements and calls is probably even more important, but that variable often will not be met sufficiently unless your on a team... and even then, it is a matter of communication.

I can talk about the communication part for hours (IE: how much of a ♥♥♥♥ you are affecting your ability to rally your teammates positively!), but instead, I'll leave you with some tangible advice:

- It's a game, not a job. Studies have shown that getting angry reduces your ability to think rationally. Duh. Keeping cool under all circumstances will keep your head level in a fight. With that said, it's always better to ignore any annoyances as such things can only get worse with provocation. The more cool you are, chances are, the smarter you'll play.
- Watch how reputable players actually make amazing shots. That guy is cheating, huh? Get his demo (assuming it's a match/scrimage) and try to rationalize every other possibility, since calling someone a cheater only does two things: it empowers them during the play, and it pisses you off. That kinda' ties in with #1. Also, if you can figure out how they made that play, that's more experience you've chalked up into your column. Watch demos and stick around in SrcTV of premier teams or LAN tourneys. Factor in how that person could have used sound, calls, experience, and just sheer luck to make something happen.
- Don't afraid. "OMFG WHO PEEKS THAT SPOT." Well, he/she did, apparently. I would put money on him experiencing a rash of peeks from that area, or his teammate made a call. Maybe he just heard you, or your gun clipped through that wall. Who knows. Whatever you do though, don't afraid and get that shot in.
- Exercise in RL. I apply this to everything, but ever since I've started exercising daily/just keeping active, my aim got better (subjective!).
- Don't be a teenager. This is just a personal observation, but puberty + raging hormones may make your play inconsistent for a while. Just a thought.

I could ramble more, but I think you get the gist. A lot of these things apply to other fields. Frankly half of that is what I live by for my work, but whatever. :P Figure it out.

diggypoo
05-13-2009, 10:41 PM
step one: get 60 fps solid in a firefight on stock maps
step two: pick m4 or ak, run and spray widly
step three: congrats, you're source cal-i

spooksmagee
05-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Find a server where the majority of the people are better than you are. Have them own you, then learn from your mistakes, and spectate them whenever possible. Sure, it's hard on your ego, but it forces you to learn right quick.

Also, try searching for deathmatch servers, those are helpful too. Cycle through USP/glock, deagle, MP5, AK/M4 and awp until you get a feel for all of them; those are essentially the only weapons you'll need to master to do well in the game.

styleguy100
05-14-2009, 04:11 AM
im at top of the scoreboard most the time and no im no nerd and do have a great life lol so... thats just stupid

SHARPSHARK
05-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Buy a cheat. It's easy to get on Google. Valve hasn't updated the VAC system for years. I see cheaters everyfreakingday. I plan to boycott games until they find some revolutionary anticheat system. Seriously, I havent been able to pwn and enjoy CSS this week because of these hackers. :|

Stradigos
05-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Buy a good mouse and mouse pad. :)

Dcky
05-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Really surprised no one has said this yet; turn off mouse acceleration if you haven't already.

I find public servers easy to top, then i have been playing for quite a few years now. It takes time don't think you'll be good overnight.

glhf

lt.br0ken
05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
The best: experience on competetive matches.
cw > pub

Dcky
05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
The best: experience on competetive matches.

Maybe after he's been playing a bit longer..

-sw
05-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Everyone knows counter strike, so many people play it.(You must have been living under a rock your whole life if you didn't)

I'm just your Average Joe who just plays the game for fun and to enjoy the game. I have so-so skill and i'm the guy who can get a couple kills, seldomly get some headshots, and usually ends up around the middle of the scoreboard. Some times i get those "moments" where your a little better than usual and kick @$$.

I don't like to get owned alot cuz that just ruins the game for me; then taking the fun out of playing.

Any tips that can help you have fun and play better in counter strike? (PS. I've CS:S playing for about two months *I dont know why i didn't start a long time ago :D)

Just because we are better at CSS means we have no life and sit at a computer all day?

Dr.iCe
05-17-2009, 04:41 AM
PLAY SCRIMS, if you play scrims/pcw's with mid/high-skilled people (if they let you join) your skill evolves majorly.
you should play scrims on a regulare to keep improving you skill

Pirate in Pants
05-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Aim for the head :D

TastyCool
05-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Make sure your mouse doesn't move "up" on the mousepad when you shoot. Sounds ridiculous but this can happen, especially if you have a low-friction pad.

CSS_Snuggles
05-17-2009, 04:31 PM
How do you get around the middle in two months?

I've been playing this for 2 years and my avg kdr is .58.

KingNoob
05-17-2009, 07:06 PM
How do you get around the middle in two months?

I've been playing this for 2 years and my avg kdr is .58.

I have been playing Counter Strike since release and my Kdr is 0.35 :(

Xeroxt4
05-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Tune Your CS:S To Maximum Performance
- Do not play on servers with more than 100ping
- TCPAckFrequency tweak and such will help with lowering ping
- Set your rates and stuff correctly
- Disable Firewall / Router Hacking Stuff - shaves off 10 ping
- Set your max FPS to your refresh rate + 1
- Use a small non-dynamic cursor
- Make sure that you get constant good FPS or set your setting lower
- Enable Blood to see hits better
- Tweak Windows For Maximum Performance

Gameplay Wise
- Aim For The Head Always
- Always point at where the head would be if someone popper around from the corner
- Close Encounters - Shoot and Duck and Aim at the same time
- Spray and Pray does not work for long distances
- Watch for shadows
- LISTEN - LISTEN - LISTEN - you will know where they are if you listen
- Open Places - Bad!
- Sniper is bad for closed spaces
- You at least a three button mouse that does NOT suck
- WASD is A-OK - Q is for fast switch
- Being emotional will get you NOWHERE.

Another thing to remember is that it is also random somewhat - for example - I sucked so I stopped playing - came back and did a lot of uber headshots and got a 2.0 K/D ratio. Then sucked again and quit.

CSS_Snuggles
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Another thing to remember is that it is also random somewhat - for example - I sucked so I stopped playing - came back and did a lot of uber headshots and got a 2.0 K/D ratio. Then sucked again and quit.

That's really sad mate.

Dcky
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
- Aim For The Head Always

Nope.

Shoot in bursts (medium to long range), pulling down very slightly (starting at the head) when you shoot.

Don't move while shooting.

Even close range aim at about the neck, bullets go above the crosshair almost instantly after firing.

Try not to crouch too much (do it when you really have to), you'll die of a head shot sooner.

Might add more another time; going sleep.

robitii
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
http://counterstrikesourcetactics.blogspot.com/2008/02/consistency.html
also there are some good other tips ... enjoy

CSS_Snuggles
05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Like seriously, the only tips everyone says is "LOL OKAY MAKE SURE U CROUCH, AND BURST LOL CUZ SPRAY AND PRAY IS FOR NUBS"

So you go "Okay, that makes sense", so you go across Double Doors in Bombsite B, and once you get across you die... Well okay, that makes sense, because AWPs usually operate that place. You check console, and...

240 damage taken from PRO GUY

fjf314
05-19-2009, 03:45 PM
- LISTEN - LISTEN - LISTEN - you will know where they are if you listen

I really like this piece of advice. One of the things that helped me a little bit was when my cheap speakers broke and I switched to a decent pair of headphones rather than replacing them. It became a lot easier for me to 1.) hear people moving and 2.) figure out what direction it was coming from.

d_YeN
05-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Good mouse and a pair of headphones and concentrate lol oh and practice!

chay
05-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Play gungame and win if you want to get better.
Death match can help.
Don't waste time scrimming.
1v1 helps. (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wavy?action=join)

3kliksphilip
05-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Play Deathmatch, you get more practice in less time.

Always play on the losing team, the winning team makes it too easy to get good scores and you won't get better.

Don't camp back and wait for everybody else to run in first. You might live longer, but... it's just NOOBISH!

Here are some other tips I grouped together, they're not the usual 'Learn to strafe' tutorial things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NVg39qTtk

ironman1478
05-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Shoot in bursts with the ak/m4 and bring your mouse slightly down while doing this to compensate for the recoil

Learn to time your shots, see how long it takes to stop moving and have max accuracy

Get a good mouse+ pad

To practice those things just make a game and put that bullsye spray on the wall
Then go around a corner the do some peeking a take burst shots
Afterwards see if you over/undercompensating

Once you feel you have a good enough techniqe / aim play on deathmatch servers to try and do all that stuff but faster

Coolstorybro
05-20-2009, 10:05 PM
practice practice practice. dont run out oand buy expensive stuff. learn to play on regular generic mouse and keyboard. you'll be a better player because of it.

xadavid
07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Man, you guys are great with these tips. Thanks!

red_bairn
07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Man, you guys are great with these tips. Thanks!

brb necro troll.

joke!

Anyways, here is what I said a while back on our clans' forums:

Controlled Spray.:

Well when you spray...it ends up like the "big-dipper"...know the constellation?...google it! morons!...so you gotta control your spray by pulling it downwards...

- Single shots (long distance)

- Burst (long-mid distances)

- Spray (close; only If you can't avoid it and getting attacked by a suprise gang ♥♥♥♥).

[How to control your recoil.:http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/counter-strike/controlling-spray-fire...]

Going back to what Apollo says:

- Play with more expierenced players, i.e. not me...
- Communication, Communication, communication (can't stress this enuf). Listen to calls, make simple and accurate calls ("Nade spamming in B, possibly 2 attacking, can hear one on site") and don't be afraid to go with gut instinct and say, "possibly one walking tunnels"...Some people may have a better hs or ears than others...

Working with Sound.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUyOGmr6xBQ&feature=player_embedded

Learning from Bugs and certain tips.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-VmWxxS89M&feature=player_embedded

Other tips.:

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Great-at-Counter-Strike-Source

Legacy's B Bombsite spot.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tu__AtSJtM&feature=player_embedded

Pr0 nades.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uc7vYg9pb4&feature=player_embedded

(don't be afraid to run around on your own created server and to bounce nades around any kinda map to find the best place for flashing, smoking or blowin' the ♥♥♥♥ outta a whole team...)
(in the above it talks about ("Tip2") using quick weapon binds; http://counterstrikesourcetactics.blogspot.com/2008/02/counter-strike-source-binding-guide.html).

deLiGHT's Muscle Memory.:

http://counterstrikesourcetactics.blogspot.com/2008/05/delights-muscle-memory.html

Whisper's Strategy Guide (CSS).:

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Warstrats

Learn from your mistakes (in public). If somebody kills you in the garage one round, next round go around office to take him out (or use a flash, If he's in same spot). You need to adapt or to evolve your mind set...where is this player going to be? Will I easily be naded in that spot? What If I was to fake flash off that wall and make a run for it? Could I use this flash as a distraction? How many players are behind me and how many infront?...

If you want to see how people play, and you keep getting killed by the same opponent, don't be afraid to spec him and watch his pattern, then return to your team and work around him.

Quote:
best way to become uber prawner headsh00ts is to watch demos of some teams playing

as Shane said, watch demoes of professionals or MID+ players. Even check out youtube for any shizzle. You learn well when listening and watching experienced players and you can then put this all to practise in mixes.

Want to get technical?

CAL-Legal Source Tweaks (Casey's Config v2)
:
http://counterstrikesourcetactics.blogspot.com/2008/03/cal-legal-source-tweaks-caseys-config.html

professional counter strike source players configs:

http://counterstrikesourcetactics.blogspot.com/2008/06/professional-counter-strike-source.html

Whispers css config.:

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Whispers_css_config

(Whispers) Source Autoexec Tweaks

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index ... xec_Tweaks

Kibblesman
07-21-2010, 12:10 PM

***Edit: Seems like some guys get emotional when i said "However, you also have those guys who's at the top of the scoreboard and have no life other than to sit at their computer and beat up people like me."

^Just a joke! Chill, not all guys are like that.^ Thanks for the advice guys! Happy fragging!

I would recommend buying a mic for CSS, as soon as you get what people are saying (like on Dust2 where they say short a to let the team know where enemies are). Just a recommendation, but you can still use text.

I don't really play CSS as much as I used to. These days, I'm just fooling around in GTAIV, or Crysis, etc. No COD though, waste of money.

dubbs
07-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Maybe after he's been playing a bit longer..

you say that, i started mixing 3 weeks after buying css, and didnt play it for about a week from when i bought it