PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Invasion doesn't want to start!

imperatorsum
05-17-2009, 07:45 PM
hi,

I just bought the RTW Complete edition off Steam, Alexander and the main game seem to run OK, but when I right click on RTW Gold Edition to select "Launch: Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion", it's just taking me into the normal game.
I can't find a way to create a desktop shortcut for BI either, as directly linking to the .exe leads to an error along the lines of "Steam cannot be found". Basically I have no way to play the expansion! :confused:

If anyone has any ideas about this one, they'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ackillez
06-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Exact same problem here. Steam support doesn't seem to be responding to petitions either...

CannibalBob
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I think BI just adds some new campaigns into the original game. See if they are there and then you'll know BI is working.

Ackillez
06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
I think BI just adds some new campaigns into the original game. See if they are there and then you'll know BI is working.

This is helpful but doesn't solve the issues. I think that BI manages to launch just fine from steam (different intro, version number etc.), the new campaigns just don't show up.

They're not there. The only campaign that shows up under the 'provincial campaigns' list is the original imperial campaign from RTW. Selecting imperial campaign from the menu gives a strange message asking to 'select an item from the list'.

I've tried reinstalling once already without success.

Lord_Esus
07-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Hi guys, I used to have this problem too, but now I think that I have fixed it.

First, open Steam.

Go to 'My Games'.

Right-click on the Rome Total War Complete button.

Choose to launch BI.

I hope that works for you :)

mastercman333
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I have this problem too. And now i can't launch the fourth age total war because of this. :o Anyone have any suggestions. And I bought the complete pack but it listed Rome total war gold as a separate game than Alexander.

Faeelin
01-04-2010, 12:48 PM

They aren't. And when I click on BI when the game starts up, I get some weird bastardized general campaign. Can anyone help?

FabriciusR3X
01-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I had the same issues as post #4 and partly as #1. And seeing the amount of hits this thread has I think it's relevant to re-open it.

Even though one has a fresh install of the game old settings can still be present. This was the case for me. I had to clear the launch options to have barbarian invasion run correctly. (I had changed the launch options in an earlier installation due to modding the game).

So what you need to do is:
- open your games library in steam
- right click rome total war gold/barbarian invasion (what ever version you have)
- select "properties" from the list of options
- now select "set launch options.."
- clear the field
- press "ok"

That's it.

t0t3l
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
BI is a different game. it is not an expansion pack added onto rtw or else you wouldnt have two seperate launch apps in your rtw folder. or you wouldnt have the option to launch BI by right clicking on rtw. if it was an expansion you would only have to run RTW and while ingame you would have an added menu or something. hence, expanded upon the original. amazing concept.

the issue i would love to have solved is not having to open my games library, find rtw, then right click to launch BI. thats a bunch of crap. so you could allways go to the rtw directory and try launching the BI app, but it says "could not find steam" every time!

if anybody knows this fix, that would be awesome. my idea is as follows. when you have steam create a desktop shortcut the target line in the properties says "steam://rungameid/4760" (this is plain ol RTW) somebody on the steam side of things needs to tell us what the run game id for BI is so we can launch this game by a shortcut.

Y4R05L4V
01-09-2012, 05:30 AM
LOL https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3729-WFJZ-4175
Retrieve the Application ID for a Steam Game

This process can also be used for Demos, Media, and other products on Steam:

Login to the Steam account
Go to your Library
Right click the installed game and choose "Create desktop shortcut"
Go to your Desktop and locate the new shortcut
Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties
Look at the target path for the number following steam://rungameid/. This number is the Application ID for the game.

Baleur
01-21-2012, 01:41 PM
That's the appid for regular RTW, since BI still counts as RTW in the steam id, sherlock..

I also want a desktop shortcut, i'm so sick of right clicking on it in steam all the time.

Vercinger
10-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Has anyone managed to find out how to launch BI from a desktop shortcut?