PDA

View Full Version : What happens if Steam/Valve goes out of business ?

Kent Elyoo
05-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I've been following Steam's growth and I have respect for the system and for Valve. But I've always been hesitant to buy games on Steam for the following reason. I'm a long time gamer and I have 15 years old games in my library. Most of the developers and publishers of those games are long gone. But I can still install those games (maybe with the help of DOSbox) and play them. And its not just a theoretical possibility, I do play the best games more than once over the years.

So if I begin to buy games on Steam, what will happen if Valve/Steam goes out of business in 15 years ? (and don't try to convince me it won't. I'm talking of a "what if" situation) ? Will I loose all my games ? I would like to know if there's been an official statement about this.

The only solution I can think of is related to the Good Old Games (Gog.com) way of doing things. For those who don't know, GoG releases "out of print" or somewhat old games in the form of a Vista/XP compatible .exe file without any DRM restrictions for 6$ or 10$. So even if GoG goes out of business, I can keep the game on a disc and play it 10 years from now.

Well, Valve could do the same thing before going out of business. Permit us to download a DRM-free version of our games to keep forever. But would all publishers agree to do it ?

So thank you for reading. I would love a Valve employee response but I'm probably dreaming.

Chapa9dj
05-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Sometimes i ask myself the same question even if they say they will release a patch to download and keep all the games.
I can't imagine seeing VALVe running out of business, but yeah these are hard times on the economy and business.

some_guy
05-22-2009, 09:51 AM
epic. this question has been asked soooooo much. A simple search would probably have got you the answer in no time, but since you obviously can't I'll say what I know. *ahem* Valve have stated that they would make all games available to play without steam.

That's about it.

mouton
05-22-2009, 10:22 AM
I am having a deja vu now

Eek!
05-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm also experiencing déjà vu.

I'm also experiencing déjà vu.

some_guy
05-22-2009, 10:29 AM
hahaha. well played.

Kent Elyoo
05-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Sorry about that...

Do you have a link to the official statement ? That would be cool and bring a new customer to Steam !

Tonour
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM
You are able to make hard copy "back ups" of each game under the Properties section.

gimpymoo
05-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Sorry about that...

Do you have a link to the official statement ? That would be cool and bring a new customer to Steam !

No VALVE employee has ever made such a statement.

To all the kiddies saying "deja vu", why do you not make a positive contribution to the thread and link to the aforemwntioned "They will release a patch" quote please?

warmaster670
05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
No VALVE employee has ever made such a statement.

To all the kiddies saying "deja vu", why do you not make a positive contribution to the thread and link to the aforemwntioned "They will release a patch" quote please?
there probably tired from doing it the last 500000 times.

Kent Elyoo
05-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I've looked around and can't find any official (or even unofficial) statement from Valve regarding this issue.

Anyway, I've thought about it and I'm pretty sure if Steam closes, the best games will probably be available from another online service like GoG for 10$ or less. So we might have to buy some games twice but if its to have a great classic game, its worth it at that price in my opinion. I still hope you guys are right and they will release DRM-free versions of our games in case of trouble.

gimpymoo
05-22-2009, 12:59 PM
there probably tired from doing it the last 500000 times.

Strange it is not anywhere on this forum though :(

steveroger
05-22-2009, 01:15 PM
The SSA states that Valve doesn't have to provide you anything ever. If they shut down and release a patch to allow you to continue to play your games in some form they would be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts not because of some legal obligation.

This is no different than any online game, including multiplayer and MMO offerings.

So even if Valve said at one time or another that if they shut down they would issue a patch to allow you to play your games independently from Steam it does not mean that they necessarily would actually do that.

Further, if you game is online multiplayer centric there is no guarantee that such a game would continue to function. That would depend on the players, patches, 3rd parties, etc... Again no guarantees.

Light Yagami
05-22-2009, 01:48 PM
The SSA states that Valve doesn't have to provide you anything ever. If they shut down and release a patch to allow you to continue to play your games in some form they would be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts not because of some legal obligation.

This is no different than any online game, including multiplayer and MMO offerings.

So even if Valve said at one time or another that if they shut down they would issue a patch to allow you to play your games independently from Steam it does not mean that they necessarily would actually do that.

Further, if you game is online multiplayer centric there is no guarantee that such a game would continue to function. That would depend on the players, patches, 3rd parties, etc... Again no guarantees.

That's a relief and good to know :)
I an always asking myself this question :confused:

Kent Elyoo
05-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Of course I was speaking of off-line single-player games. Other than any legal obligation to do so, do you have a forum post, an interview or any other comment from Valve regarding this issue ? The other posters talk as if its a know fact. "Link or it did not happen" right ?

Anyway, thank you. I guess I'll take my chances and start to buy from Steam. I don't really have a choice, the PC section of my local EBgames has shrunk so much over the years that they probably should remove it entirely. And what's the point of buying game discs now that I can't play the games without dealing with DRM restrictions. If I need to authenticate the game online, I have the same problem. The authentication servers will also shut down eventually, so I might as well deal with Steam instead.

yutt
05-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Kent Elyoo,

The Valve fanboys here will continually refer to some mythical promise made by Valve to release a patch so that the games don't require Steam.

Which is rather hilarious to think about. When a company is filing bankruptcy, they aren't going to busily work on such a patch. In fact, based on what has happened in similar situations for any other game developer, the programmers are already gone. Look at Hellgate: London or Duke Nukem Forever if you need to see what happens. Partners with legal rights fight for scraps of the company, management stays around, and everyone else capable of making such a patch is gone.

If Valve goes out of business we probably lose our games. That's the only honest answer someone can give you. Especially since Valve has no legal agreement with users to patch away Steam.

VoR #
05-23-2009, 02:06 AM
It's like saying if Microsoft goes out of business we lose PC support. Come on, wherever you enjoy entertainment I think this is going to happen. Look at all the MMO players who fork out their monthly fees and work on characters with thousands of life hours.

If that company can't afford the server costs, all that jazz, same deal. There's no real safety zone with gaming unless you make a game for yourself and manually run it yourself, IMO.

DoubleD
05-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Steam would revert to "Offline" mode.
Non-issue.

RaYden
05-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Not really, multilayer games like TF 2 that have online stored content (guns and stuff) will stop working cuz they rely on the servers to transmit game data ... that or no more unlocks ( or a haxed patch to unlock guns)
I guess CS and CSS will never get affected ... figures.

shiddywalkk
05-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Read private policy. "OH DERP JUS A BUNCHA TEXT DERP DERP HURR HURR"

jon_hill987
05-23-2009, 08:18 AM
It is not a non-issue because of Off-line mode. Off-line mode only works if you are not connected to the internet. If you are connected to the internet and still can't reach the Steam servers it deletes your off-line profile until you can log on again.

shiddywalkk
05-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Hamachi servers, if that works with TF2, CS:S, etc.

Nathuram
05-23-2009, 08:32 AM
The steam servers go down and you can still run your games in offline mode. All you have to do is download the games and save them on DVDs or your hard drive or a portable USB hard drive.

However if steam where to go out of business they would simply sell the rights to their games to another company like Electronic Arts who would still keep Steam going as a service for selling games.

Steam on it's own is a platform many would be interested in buying.

Eek!
05-23-2009, 09:33 AM
All you have to do is download the games and save them on DVDs or your hard drive or a portable USB hard drive.Of course if you haven't downloaded all your games by the time they went out of business... ;)

Although yes, presumably another company would take them over, so Steam users would not really be affected a great deal.

Mebbe.

iMagic
05-23-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm sure Gabe Newell would be happy to answer your question if he could find the time out from making money hats

DoubleD
05-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Steam would be patched to run in Offline mode.

Again a non-issue.

Tekzel
05-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Steam on it's own is a platform many would be interested in buying.

I think this is an important statement to consider, even if Valve goes out of business, I doubt Steam would be utterly worthless by then and I am sure someone would buy it. I highly doubt Valve would take Steam to the grave with it, wouldn't make sense.

*VeLeRoN*
05-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I can't imagine seeing VALVe running out of business, but yeah these are hard times on the economy and business.
I think they've created a very successful business model which will survive all the troubles.

§W-
05-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Steam would be patched to run without authentication... Whether or not Valve creates the patch... But as long as there is one living company selling on steam. There will be incentives by the surviving company to keep steam running and keep such patches from seeing the day of light.

um0123
05-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Non-issue.

you're wrong, it is an issue. Offline mode doesn't cover online games, such as TF2, CS, etc. They are just as valid as any other game, so saying "offline mode" doesn't fix the entire issue.

Online games should get the same rights as the Offline ones, and if steam goes out of business (which i highly doubt) then those online games deserve a way to still be played online.

steveroger
05-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Non-issue.

Again a non-issue.

I appreciate your sentiment but it remains an issue until Valve amends the SSA. As it stands they are under no obligaton to provide any sort of functionality of your games if they go out of business or decide to discontinue Steam.

um0123
05-23-2009, 01:50 PM
I appreciate your sentiment but it remains an issue until Valve amends the SSA. As it stands they are under no obligaton to provide any sort of functionality of your games if they go out of business or decide to discontinue Steam.

would you like to show us exactly where the SSA says this?

GaryCXJk
05-23-2009, 02:19 PM
you're wrong, it is an issue. Offline mode doesn't cover online games, such as TF2, CS, etc. They are just as valid as any other game, so saying "offline mode" doesn't fix the entire issue.

Online games should get the same rights as the Offline ones, and if steam goes out of business (which i highly doubt) then those online games deserve a way to still be played online.

When the many other online only games went out of business people were still screwed. No refund, no nothing. If World of Warcraft would close its servers, Blizzard still isn't obligated to release a patch allowing people to still play this game.

VALvE, or heck, no company is responsible for their games not being supported because there are no servers.

um0123
05-23-2009, 06:11 PM
i wish i could respond you your very long post where you insulted me as an "ignorant steam user" but my internet went out when i was responding.

It is obvious by your response you are an condescending ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, insulting me because i asked for a specific source of information. Furthermore, i would thank you for showing me, but i dont see you deserving a "thanks" since you were such as ♥♥♥.

Sincerely,
an "ignorant steam user"

Noliving
05-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Valve has stated in magazine interviews that they don't forsee it ever happending but if it did they said they would make a patch that gets rid of the authentication part of the program so that you could play the games still.

steveroger
05-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by steveroger
C. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).

Yes, I did remove it in favor of the above quoted statement from the SSA. Initially, I thought you were being sarcastic. I was responding to your condenscending challenge, "would you like to show us exactly where the SSA says this?"

I did not take the question in it's form as an innocent request for a specific source of information. The way I looked at is that the SSA is short and readliy available to you.

After drafting and posting such a long winded response, I decided that it was overkill so I removed it except for it's pertinent part. I saw a benefit to you in that I had dropped the part where I said that you were an ignorant Steam user who should spend some time reading the SSA.

The truth is though you were being pretty ignorant. I decided against highlighting this fact but now you have put it back out there.

There is nothing I can do about it now. I suggest in the future you try and make a little effort to educate yourself before you go around challenging others and I will try and not be so long winded.

Valve has stated in magazine interviews that they don't forsee it ever happending but if it did they said they would make a patch that gets rid of the authentication part of the program so that you could play the games still.

I looked all over the net trying to find this legendary statement of Gabe Newell's that they would do "something" to patch the games if Steam went out of service. I found tons of articles and forum posts talking about this "unofficial" statement. But I just haven't found it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he said it. However, I sure wouldn't mind getting it in writing.

*VeLeRoN*
05-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Steveroger, why are you deleting your own posts? I've been curious about this for a while, a few months at least. You post something and then delete it. What's the catch?

>X<
05-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I think that the chances of Valve going bust are about the same as America having a black president or Russia dropping communism or man walking on the moon. Well before they happened that is..

steveroger
05-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Steveroger, why are you deleting your own posts? I've been curious about this for a while, a few months at least. You post something and then delete it. What's the catch?

I am somewhat impulsive sometimes and if I think I have over-reacted or could say something better or would be better off not saying it at all I use the edit button. I would be better off just being more careful in the first place. But if I didn't use the edit button at all nobody would like that much at all.:p

um0123
05-23-2009, 09:28 PM
I suggest in the future you try and make a little effort to educate yourself before you go around challenging others and I will try and not be so long winded

Okay, i will, and I suggest that in the future you dont take a sincere request for information as a patronizing challenge.

DoubleD
05-23-2009, 10:02 PM
steveroger do not post if you are going to keep deleting them after others comment on them. It makes the thread hard to follow.

Half Kill
05-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Well seeing how valve games are quite popular, if they are gonna close someone like EA may buy them out, but then again EA are crap at fixing stuff.

pbassjams
05-24-2009, 12:14 PM
If Steam ever goes under you can always just (insert forbidden term here) your games.

Honestly.. if Steam went down I wouldn't expect anything network/MP related to work. But if I lost access to my SP games, that's what I would do. Of Steam specific installable games, I own boxed copies of the original HL2, CS:S/DM, Ep1, Orange Box and L4D. I'd have ZERO hesitation to do the above if Steam disappeared.

License agreements don't work when one of the parties no longer exists.

um0123
05-24-2009, 01:54 PM
If Steam ever goes under you can always just (insert forbidden term here) your games.

Im curious as to what exactly this is. Please excuse my limited knowledge of all things steam, i only joined a month ago. And please inform me of this forbidden term.

azzkrak
05-24-2009, 03:03 PM
what is deja vu,
ahh what happens when steam runs out of steam?
what?

natemckn
05-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Im curious as to what exactly this is. Please excuse my limited knowledge of all things steam, i only joined a month ago. And please inform me of this forbidden term.

He's talking about piracy

Clanki
11-14-2009, 02:44 PM
He's talking about piracy

well honestly i would do the same because i had already paid for the games. SO legally i have the right to have an extra copy as a backup in case the original is destroyed. Therefore in this case it would be legal for me to download the games off random websites and use the cd keys i have on steam. And if that does not work. I would think about a lawsuit against steam or game company's. Or something more evil >.<

T@F
11-14-2009, 02:52 PM
well honestly i would do the same because i had already paid for the games. SO legally i have the right to have an extra copy as a backup in case the original is destroyed. Therefore in this case it would be legal for me to download the games off random websites and use the cd keys i have on steam. And if that does not work. I would think about a lawsuit against steam or game company's. Or something more evil >.<

Well if steam shut down that would mean prob valve has gone bankrupt.
So good luck in getting a lawsuit on them.

I very much doubt that the steam keys would work with retail ones,otherwise ppl would be getting the iso`s now and bypassing steam if you get what i mean.

The chances would be a patch so steam runs offline,but then there`s the question will you be able to re-download the games you own to back them up if you don`t have them on your hd?

Internal
11-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Well it doesn't matter anymore. The world is going to end 2012. Lol...

AzureEmmanuel
11-14-2009, 03:04 PM
I dont feel like reading through the 3 pages so...

What would happen if steam does go out of business?

I have over 80 games. If steam goes out of business I wouldnt be able to download them anymore?

Cedge
11-14-2009, 04:31 PM
What would happen if steam does go out of business?

Nobody can predict that; not even Valve. That's what it all comes down to.

mriguy
11-14-2009, 07:03 PM
This probably has more to do with the agreement between Valve and the publisher rather then any promise or faithful commitment from Valve to the user. I am sure that there is some section in the contract that covers this but I doubt that the general public would be be privy to it. Publishers may not like titles which do not have addition DRM outside of Steam, simply unlocked, without some type of authorization process.

The best protection is to keep on buying Valve products to keep the company strong. :)

Ciaos
11-14-2009, 07:08 PM
VALVe are under no legal obligation to do anything. Even if they didn't I'd expect user made patches to enable the the games to be played, even the likes of CS and TF2. Piracy would be rife though, seeing as there is no other way to redownload the games you didn't have on your HDD.

It won't happen. Even if VALVe went backrupt, Steam is the largest online distribution of games. Its like the iTunes of the games world. The platform would be a very attractive investment.

Hohum
11-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Indeed, if Valve did go bust, you can guarantee that there will be plenty of other companies out there falling over themselves to purchase the Steam service.

VictoriaT
11-15-2009, 07:04 AM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10035981&postcount=18

Non-issue.

Lance_Lake
11-15-2009, 07:55 AM
epic. this question has been asked soooooo much. A simple search would probably have got you the answer in no time, but since you obviously can't I'll say what I know. *ahem* Valve have stated that they would make all games available to play without steam.

That's about it.

People always say this.. I still have not found the post that says this from a Valve Employee.

There is no such post.

I would love to be proven wrong on this, but each time I ask what the post is, no one can ever seem to find it. It's an urban legend.

Lance_Lake
11-15-2009, 08:01 AM

Again a non-issue.

Is that your official Valve statement there TrippleD or are you not a Valve employee and can not make such statements about what the company says it will do?

If you heard this from a developer (as I know you have more access to them then we do), please have them post it so we can finally be able to get the official word. Thank you.

Lastly, how do you patch something to talk to a server that is no longer there?

&T: Source
11-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Don't worry folks, they'll still be releasing Railworks DLC long after Steam as gone...

VictoriaT
11-15-2009, 01:32 PM
While the original statement was on these here very forums 4 years ago from a valve employee themselves, (Yes I saw it with my own two eyes) the thread and post has long been purged and you will not find it again.

Since that time, valve / steam is going to continue to be rather closed mouthed on making any kind of grand statements that MIGHT get them into trouble somehow. Sort of like a doctor that will prefer to not say "I am sorry" so as not to confuse the grieving wife into thinking that he did something wrong.

So the closest you are going to get to this is a moderator like TrippleD stating the games would be switched over to no longer require steam to authenticate. Which by the way folks, really is not that hard to believe is an easy thing to do.

Killerwatt
11-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Hm, yeah. What would happen, if Steam goes bankrupt? Well, I would ask a more pressing question: what would happen, if your bank goes bankrupt? The very one that holds your monthly salary and long-term savings? You will be cut off from your fundings as well as your savings, and your very survival will be endangered. Do you believe that it is so unlikely that it won't happen? Then why do you afraid that it will with Valve? Your bank won't pay you anything when they won't have anything to pay from. In case of Valve, there's always the promise of permanently unlocking your account. Even if they are not releasing a patch, someone will most likely release a crack -- which will be legal after Steam is unsupported and you already own the games.

mouton
11-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Well, I would ask a more pressing question: what would happen, if your bank goes bankrupt?
In many countries there are government guarantees that cover savings up to some point in case of bank bankruptcy so unless you have a really big stash then you are relatively safe.
In case of Valve, there's always the promise of permanently unlocking your account. Even if they are not releasing a patch, someone will most likely release a crack -- which will be legal after Steam is unsupported and you already own the games.
Cracks are, well, already released, lol. And, stupid as it is, they are illegal even if you did pay for the game.

Rebel44
11-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Indeed, if Valve did go bust, you can guarantee that there will be plenty of other companies out there falling over themselves to purchase the Steam service.

this

10char

Turbonerd
11-15-2009, 10:56 PM
You're worried about not being able to play a 15 year old game? In 15 years time no ones going to care and if you still do I am sure there will be free downloads/emulators of the games you want to play.

rpmmatt
11-16-2009, 04:22 AM
Not 100% what would happen, but, as you own a license to the game, if Valve went under(god forbid) then their assets would be sold off. As a license holder, you are a form of creditor and each game Steam owns or has distribution rights for is an asset. These games are valuable assets, and create income. However it is down to the wording of each game license as to whether your continued access is garuanteed or not. Every game you own, would revert to its developers/publishers/new owners, and it would be up to them whether they have to choose maintain a game if the license says they don't have to. If your license garuantees support for online gaming, then the new license would HAVE to honour that.
Depending on how recent the game is things should continue. i.e. MW2 would likely revert soley to Activision, and they would make their game work without Steam. Older games may be left to die though, however, new developers buying rights to older games, may mean new remade games of old classics, as new owners cash in on the interlectual rights they now own. We may get a new DOD:S or new CS:S for example.

In some ways, its the same as if your bank goes down. If you have a mortgage, it does not dissapear with the bank, but is sold as an asset to new owners. Your new bank will have to honour your original contract for as long as it is valid. i.e. they can not change the terms or interest rates. Your game license will have to be honoured, so it all depends on what the license grants you, and whatever get out clauses are put in by the lawyers.

Kitsunami
11-16-2009, 04:32 AM
If steam went, they would be bought, garenteed.

The new holders would have to give everyone their games. Simple as.

1 million people worldwide angry at your company is not a good thing to have ;)

But anyhow, i believe you can get a disk copy of ALL your games if you buy the disk off steam. Similarly you can make a hard copy on a hard drive.

But steam wont go under, they make far too much. Besides, if they were in financial trouble -all- they would have to do would be make a public statement.

People would either buy more games, get disk copys, or simply donate, to keep valve alive.

Killerwatt
11-16-2009, 05:04 AM
(...) or simply donate, to keep valve alive.

At these prices they already do.:D

james_2k
11-16-2009, 05:09 AM
If steam went, they would be bought, garenteed.

The new holders would have to give everyone their games. Simple as.

1 million people worldwide angry at your company is not a good thing to have ;)

But anyhow, i believe you can get a disk copy of ALL your games if you buy the disk off steam. Similarly you can make a hard copy on a hard drive.

But steam wont go under, they make far too much. Besides, if they were in financial trouble -all- they would have to do would be make a public statement.

People would either buy more games, get disk copys, or simply donate, to keep valve alive.

2.1 million

StingingVelvet
11-16-2009, 05:27 AM
You're worried about not being able to play a 15 year old game? In 15 years time no ones going to care and if you still do I am sure there will be free downloads/emulators of the games you want to play.

I play 15 year old games all the time, often ones older than that.

Mashke
11-16-2009, 05:30 AM
I suppose they would just give us a patch and let us enjoy the games.

Dear Valve,

Please don't go out of business.

Sincerely, Mashke

MikeyM
11-16-2009, 07:30 AM
1. There NOT gonna go out business, Simply because, They prolly made a few mill off left 4 dead 2/1.
2. they would be EASILY bought out, if they went out.
3. They don't really have that many fee's to cover, its really just paying all the workers/trainers...

Oh and Gabe's GIANT electric bill from playing too much world of warcraft.

Kitsunami
11-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Exactly.

Its impossible, the only way valve could go down is if another platform appeared that undermined it. Which is impossible because nobody trusts any 'new' digital download platforms, we all trust valve because valve are good to us...usually :]

Seriously, name one retailer/digital who do a store-wide xmas sale?

Valve does. Pretty much every game gets discounted in xmas. Last year the major bundles got up to 50/60% off, and many, many games had beteween 10-20% off.

They even convinced EA and such to do 5% off.

VictoriaT
11-18-2009, 03:52 PM
I play 15 year old games all the time, often ones older than that.

The ONLY thing that is on my computer from more than 15 years ago is a cute little screen saver called Johnny Castaway (http://web.onetel.net.uk/~gnudawn/johnny/). Interestingly enough, it was created by Sierra On-Line, Inc in 1993... which for some of you oldies but goodies, will understand the link between my barely still functioning screensaver and Half Life. ;)

But other than that, I would be very hard pressed to find ANY software older than 1998 that I want to keep and still use today and tomorrow.

I guess I am saying for me, this is a non issue then?

Bluedrake42
03-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Yea, its a good question, and something I've been thinking about. I know what I'D do, but I don't know about everyone else. Essentially I'd just do what I do with Direct 2 Drive, Download everything before they croak totally and then crack it all. Of course that's the great thing about steam: their loyalty and service (and the awesome deals) is what gets me to buy games not the products. but, first of all I really don't see steam going down anytime soon at ALL (I bet they're probably gonna be one of the biggest things in the future to come) but just rest assured with that backup plan, if you're really into keeping your games, just back them up and crack them when good patches come out if the servers close for good. Until then I'd just rest assured that valve is gonna be there for us =)

Chucko815
03-19-2010, 07:30 AM
psh. The day Valve goes out of business is the day GAMING goes out of business. In all seriousness, Valve won`t be going anywhere anytime soon. They still got Portal 2 and EP 3 to do.

Teraclips
03-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Therell be a lot of tears, myself included

eram
03-19-2010, 08:37 AM
A patch would be released.