PDA

View Full Version : Disable the steam overlay per game

Armada
05-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Some games don't support game overlays or just the steam community overlay. But I would still like to be able to add them to the My Games list and being able to show my steam friends what I'm playing. Without disabling the in-game overlay in the settings for all games every time I want to play a game that doesn't support it.

This would be easy to solve by just adding a "Disable steam community in-game" option to the properties of every game. This way you can disable the overlay for each game individually.

Overheal
05-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Id support this. Its a handy thing to have, but I find in some games and only some games I would rather not spare the performance hit on running it.

MackP
05-26-2009, 06:26 AM
I support this suggestion too.

WACOMalt
01-03-2010, 01:16 AM
I as well support this, many games get buggy with it on, but it's stupid to have to switch it manually depending on the game.

This is especially important now that punkbuster enabled games kick for steam overlay use.

I added battlefield 2142 as a shortcut to steam and it kicks me when I play online for the overlay.

Please add this! I cant see it being hard to do at all.

searanox
01-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't like to revive threads, but I really would enjoy this feature, even if it's a command line option or some such. There are many games that don't behave too well with the overlay, and there are some mods for games which also don't work when the overlay is in use. Having to enable and disable it from the options menu all the time is frankly, a bit of a pain.

CreditToTeam
01-21-2010, 09:17 PM
I support this suggestion, please make it a reality, seeing as now both COD4 and COD:WAW kick for the overlay (and both of these I purchased via Steam...).

King Nuthing
01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
It seems punkbuster is the culprit here, can we have a chat with them and allow the steam overlay in their games?

I'd love it either way, as it makes the experience better!

CamperSpecial
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
i support it, good idea

Maledict21
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
It seems punkbuster is the culprit here, can we have a chat with them and allow the steam overlay in their games?

They have already been notified by other users, and so far they have refused to do anything about it. This would indeed be a convenient feature to have.

jittle8
01-27-2010, 04:10 PM
can't run cod4 when steam overlay is on, would be great if there was a command line for the set launch options rather than disabling it for all games..

ArmorArmadillo
01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I'd like this too.

lanux128
01-27-2010, 07:07 PM
even a command-line option would be handy.. something like "-nooverlay"

Shadow_man_uk
01-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I support this happends to me in Battlefield 2 i get kicked because of steam overlay

SilverShot
01-29-2010, 09:47 AM
This would be great, I have to disable and enable the overlay when playing BFBC2 Beta and other games, due to the overlay crashing the game.

I support this happends to me in Battlefield 2 i get kicked because of steam overlay
I heard of this happening, I have the retail version and added it to the games list as a shortcut. I have no problem and can use the overlay. A couple of my mates who bought it through Steam can also use the overlay (Win XP and maybe 7?)

stealthgyro
01-29-2010, 10:29 PM
This would be great, I have to disable and enable the overlay when playing BFBC2 Beta and other games, due to the overlay crashing the game.

I heard of this happening, I have the retail version and added it to the games list as a shortcut. I have no problem and can use the overlay. A couple of my mates who bought it through Steam can also use the overlay (Win XP and maybe 7?)

hah I have had the issue with retail and the steam version

Shimon
02-15-2010, 10:19 AM
-bump-

TheRealDuke
02-27-2010, 02:59 AM
Would love this feature too, and shouldn't be to hard to implement ether. Please do something about it.

Tides
02-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Think you guys can get this into the new UI update? Seems to be something that would be useful and help me play my punkbuster games.

leveller
03-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Sounds like a plan.

Lim213
03-01-2010, 02:35 PM
/SIGNED in the blood of a random developer of Red Faction:Guerrilla.

milfner
03-02-2010, 01:53 AM
good idea

SubSonix
03-27-2010, 11:01 PM
/signed. This is totally necessary now that punkbuster has turned to ****

Durza007
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
I aswell would love to have a feature like this

Zefar
04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I got a question. Will the game crash/kicks right away when you just run it through Steam or does it only cause problems when you are in the game and open the Steam Overlay?

Because if it only cause problem when you open the overlay you might just not need to open it. It's easy, I keep mine on F11 and I rarely use that button.

seseorang
04-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Latest update means you can disable the update per game. Right click game and select properties. There's a check box which is checked by default. I hope this works as I leave it enable for most games anyway

ultradude25
04-14-2010, 07:25 AM
http://images.matt-russell.com/ZScreen/Synergy_-_Properties_15-04-2010_12.25.05.AM.png

shockertwin
04-14-2010, 02:05 PM
I got a question. Will the game crash/kicks right away when you just run it through Steam or does it only cause problems when you are in the game and open the Steam Overlay?

Because if it only cause problem when you open the overlay you might just not need to open it. It's easy, I keep mine on F11 and I rarely use that button.

Typically I get about 2 minutes into a MW1 game and it boots me out. It happens whether you access the overlay or not.

I hear it's been added that you can now disable per game :)

Bierno
04-14-2010, 02:55 PM
yeah you can disable your overlay per steam game (atleast in the BETA UI)

ksl5547
04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I would also like this as a launch option since I have multiple shortcuts for a few of my games that I would like to run some instances of a single game with the overlay and some without

L.o.D.
04-14-2010, 07:07 PM
yeah you can disable your overlay per steam game (atleast in the BETA UI)

I see no such feature in the beta.
Only option under the in-game tab is what key you want to use for it and a check box to enable/disable it.

Maledict21
04-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Only option under the in-game tab is what key you want to use for it and a check box to enable/disable it.

Look under the "general" tab in the properties window of the game for which you wish to change the overlay setting. It was added in the 04/13 beta update.

ultradude25
04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
http://images.matt-russell.com/ZScreen/Synergy_-_Properties_15-04-2010_12.25.05.AM.png

Armada
04-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I see my old thread has been revived!

I'm delighted to see that my suggestion has been implemented in the beta UI. But one problem remains, the option is not available for non-steam games.

CarnageDark
05-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I see my old thread has been revived!

I'm delighted to see that my suggestion has been implemented in the beta UI. But one problem remains, the option is not available for non-steam games.

Is there a way to disable the overlay also for non-steam game? In some games I really have big problems with the overlay but I can't deactivate it.

Is there any command or something like this?

When not, please also make an option to start non-steam games without the overlay.

mario-182
05-16-2010, 02:27 AM
It's a real shame that I can't disable the overlay for non-Steam games like Battlefield: Heroes or CoD: MW, which both have PB, which kicks for having the overlay in use. At least I can disable it from WaW now..

srvrsyde
05-16-2010, 03:39 AM
Some games don't support game overlays or just the steam community overlay. But I would still like to be able to add them to the My Games list and being able to show my steam friends what I'm playing. Without disabling the in-game overlay in the settings for all games every time I want to play a game that doesn't support it.

This would be easy to solve by just adding a "Disable steam community in-game" option to the properties of every game. This way you can disable the overlay for each game individually.

are you talking about for non-steam games? because you can individually disable the overlay on games you have, just not on non-steam games

just right click the game, click properties, uncheck "Enable Steam Community In-Game"

ultradude25
05-16-2010, 05:41 AM
are you talking about for non-steam games? because you can individually disable the overlay on games you have, just not on non-steam games

just right click the game, click properties, uncheck "Enable Steam Community In-Game"
It wasn't an option when this thread was made. Look at the date, it was posted last year.

noman_ex
05-16-2010, 09:41 AM
God damn necromancers. :D

Stay in your underground fortresses.

If you want to say something, start a new thread. You are going to confuse tons of people here.

kohan69
02-03-2013, 01:47 AM
hey it's like 2-3 years later, still can't disable steam overlay in non-steam added games/shortcuts

Kaeso
03-22-2014, 05:02 PM
hey it's like 2-3 years later, still can't disable steam overlay in non-steam added games/shortcuts

Fix this immediately, please! It's really annoying seeing my friends pop up when I'm playing os runescape, it takes up my entire inventory and I have to wait until it goes away before I can use my items!

Epsilon
03-22-2014, 06:23 PM
You do realise that the entire reason you can add a game as a non-Steam game is so that you can use the overlay? That's literally the point of the feature. If you don't want to use the overlay, don't launch it from Steam.

gashadokuro
03-22-2014, 07:04 PM
You do realise that the entire reason you can add a game as a non-Steam game is so that you can use the overlay? That's literally the point of the feature. If you don't want to use the overlay, don't launch it from Steam.

I put a non bullet pellet into my bullet gun!! Disable this feature!!!!!

Joking aside, yeah, that's the whole point of adding a non-steam game so u can use the overlay to chat to people instead of ctrl+alt to the chat window and leaving your (possibly full screen) game. Not sure how they don't understand that.

jeaz
07-30-2014, 09:00 AM

You do realize that there are more reasons to add games to Steam than the overlay?

My main two reasons:
1. Show your friends which games I'm are playing.
2. Keep all games in one convenient location for starting.

colder
07-30-2014, 09:40 AM
1. Show your friends which games I'm are playing.

Add notepad and rename it.

Friends can see. Overlay is absent.