PDA

View Full Version : Steam Chat to be Steam-Independent!!

freeloader105
05-24-2009, 01:01 PM
My idea is to allow people to talk to their Steam friends even without Steam running. This should be done by:

1) Open-sourcing the Steam chat component so 3rd party chat clients (like Pidgin or Trillian) could implement it
2) Allowing Steam account owners to have a 'sub-account' or just another way to log in (i.e. additional password that we can create/edit/delete), with only the ability to chat.

Pros & Cons:

Pros
*People can talk to their Steam friends even if they don't have the Steam client installed, but also in environments like Linux or Mac, under which Steam is difficult to get to work well.

Cons
*People will see fewer ads for games and arguably Valve will make less money

I can't think of anything else to say, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Zefar
05-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Install Steam, right click on the icon in the lower right, select Friends, start talking.

Dude why bother with making it to a chat system when it ALREADY IS ONE?

You don't even need games installed. Just install Steam and you are good to go to chat with other people.

Now for some reason this has been suggested twice within like 1 week....

relaxeder
05-24-2009, 01:34 PM
It seems kind of arbitrary and pointless to me. No offense.

I DO think it would be nice, however, if they could eventually get Steam chat running on the IE webkit or inside web browsers so you could log into the Steam Community site from a Mac or PC or iPhone and chat there. That would require a lot less work than developing for the API on multiple platforms or making a seperate chat/login component for the same service.

freeloader105
05-24-2009, 03:49 PM

I DO think it would be nice, however, if they could eventually get Steam chat running on the IE webkit or inside web browsers so you could log into the Steam Community site from a Mac or PC or iPhone and chat there. That would require a lot less work than developing for the API on multiple platforms or making a seperate chat/login component for the same service.

Or that. It would just be nice to be able to get into chat quickly on a public or semi-public computer w/o worrying whether Steam is installed.

tomardern
05-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Or people could make fake steam clients and steal details... for an msn account you could loose friends, but for a steam account you could loose 100s of games!

freeloader105
05-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Or people could make fake steam clients and steal details... for an msn account you could loose friends, but for a steam account you could loose 100s of games!

People can already make fake Steam clients. And I'm sure they already do. What I suggested here was that a Steam account owner could have an alternate login (or maybe just password) that he could enter when he's in a public place. And when he's logged in, all he could do is chat, not play games or change account info. Nothing like that.

flashn00b
05-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I can see people using this while they're in school.

ReBoot
05-24-2009, 11:28 PM
I'd prefer a web-based chat. This way, the problem would get solved.

freeloader105
05-25-2009, 12:11 AM
ok, so at least a few people are sympathetic

alchemistlord
05-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Install Steam, right click on the icon in the lower right, select Friends, start talking.

Dude why bother with making it to a chat system when it's ALREADY IS ONE?

You don't even need games installed. Just install Steam and you are good to go to chat with other people.

Now for some reason this has been suggested twice within like 1 week....

Yeah, why care. Install steam, get friends, and CHAT! It's that simple.

flashn00b
05-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, why care. Install steam, get friends, and CHAT! It's that simple.

If you're at school, then that would complicate things in the long run.

Seth.Sekhmet
05-26-2009, 05:15 AM
/NO

i don't want that !

ZoNe-SiNisTeR
05-26-2009, 08:29 AM

And when you're at school, Steam friends should be the least of your problem. There are much more important things to do... like homeworks? nah?

Add them onto your msn if you really need to talk them at school.

Armada
05-26-2009, 10:19 AM
ok, so at least a few people are sympathetic
You're going at this the wrong way, some people like that it's integrated in Steam and don't want it to be made independent. And I don't think that's what you're aiming for either. You should just ask for an alternative, then you'll get a lot less negative comments.

And you should never use steam log-in details in a public place, way too risky. So I don't see why this is needed. Unless you'd get different log-in details for your steam friends, but I think that might make things a bit too complicated.

Necromas
05-26-2009, 11:14 AM
It's not the same idea but I'd like to see steam group chat rooms connected to IRC servers so I could join them through an irc client.

SgtKaboose
06-01-2009, 07:22 PM
My idea is to allow people to talk to their Steam friends even without Steam running. This should be done by:

1) Open-sourcing the Steam chat component so 3rd party chat clients (like Pidgin or Trillian) could implement it
2) Allowing Steam account owners to have a 'sub-account' or just another way to log in (i.e. additional password that we can create/edit/delete), with only the ability to chat.

Pros & Cons:

Pros
*People can talk to their Steam friends even if they don't have the Steam client installed, but also in environments like Linux or Mac, under which Steam is difficult to get to work well.

Cons
*People will see fewer ads for games and arguably Valve will make less money

I can't think of anything else to say, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Windows Live, Yahoo, AOL. Must I go on. So pick one, and stop attempting to ruin it for us!

PatPeter
06-01-2009, 07:35 PM
To the OP:

Damn stupid idea, no offense. Steam already works as a chat client, no reason to export it to another set of clients, just no reason at all. If you do not want to see ads, you can disable them you know. Settings => Interface => Notify me ... new game releases.

For those who want to use Steam in school, either learn how to hack school computers (really easy) and install Steam, or if your school computers have no restrictions just install Steam. BUT most schools have Steam blocked on their firewall (mine does), so look at my suggestion below me and try to push towards that.

Cite Facebook.

Steam should make a footer-bar at the bottom of the Steam Community website upon logging in like Facebook has.

And you should never use steam log-in details in a public place, way too risky. So I don't see why this is needed. Unless you'd get different log-in details for your steam friends, but I think that might make things a bit too complicated.

This would make for added security, as you could just delete all your session info using Mozilla Firefox (I have EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER at my school set to delete ALL DATA COLLECTED whilst browsing when I close Firefox).

People can already make fake Steam clients. And I'm sure they already do. What I suggested here was that a Steam account owner could have an alternate login (or maybe just password) that he could enter when he's in a public place. And when he's logged in, all he could do is chat, not play games or change account info. Nothing like that.

Waste of VALVe's developer time.

freeloader105
06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
alright, alright, so nearly everyone hates the idea! let's not beat a dead horse.

Fuzz Bucket
06-02-2009, 05:46 AM
I would settle for a steam client on other platforms.

zeroibis
06-05-2009, 11:34 PM
I just wish there was a way to do it on the web end so that I can access chat from any computer of cellphone with internet. This is especially useful as a server owner. If it were implemented I would hope for a status that shows you are on chat only.

Dead1nside
06-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Is the Steam chat protocol open? Because I think it'd be valuable if some cross-platform open source project like Pidgin could integrate support for it.

freeloader105
06-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Is the Steam chat protocol open? Because I think it'd be valuable if some cross-platform open source project like Pidgin could integrate support for it.

It's not open. This is exactly what I was hoping for - so I could use Pidgin, for example.

Fuzz Bucket
06-07-2009, 09:58 AM
It's not open. This is exactly what I was hoping for - so I could use Pidgin, for example.
Seeing as it would require opening the authentication system, I doubt it will happen.

EricJD
07-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Agreed. I'd love to be able to chat with my Mac-only friends while I'm playing a game :)

Mangr0v3
07-15-2009, 07:46 PM
This has been suggested so many times.

Directx10
07-16-2009, 12:21 PM

If your at school, then why are you trying to chat with friends over steam?

If your bored and have nothing to do go talk to some real life friends.

Seth.Sekhmet
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
/NO THANKS !

Plasma
07-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I'd prefer they keep Steam chat confined to Steam chat.

I agree that a simple web-chat client that you can login to (while youre on Steam, maybe like GMail chat) could be handy - but yeah, definitely not opened up.

freeloader105
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
/NO THANKS !

These are my favorite kinds of responses. Well-constructed arguments FTW!

>X<
07-16-2009, 09:34 PM
These are my favorite kinds of responses. Well-constructed arguments FTW! He could have defined it better without the thanks IMO.

PoSSeSSeDCoW
07-16-2009, 11:09 PM
I'd like it. It would be great for when I use Linux.

janka^
07-16-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd prefer a web-based chat. This way, the problem would get solved.

do u think the same system like is in google gmail and gtalk? if so it could be very cool feature 4 example u register accaunt/use existing log in steam community via web browser and chat in build in flash chat thingy :p

Coolstorybro
07-16-2009, 11:38 PM
when all is said and done it's probably just easier to get your steam friends that you want to get aim or whatever, theres millions of chats to do this. WHY would valve waste their bandwidth for you if your not even buying games...

idea fail.

PoSSeSSeDCoW
07-16-2009, 11:46 PM
when all is said and done it's probably just easier to get your steam friends that you want to get aim or whatever, theres millions of chats to do this. WHY would valve waste their bandwidth for you if your not even buying games...

idea fail.

Yeah, that's why Valve doesn't have any free games on Steam. :rolleyes:

>X<
07-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah, that's why Valve doesn't have any free games on Steam. :rolleyes: Yeah not even on the main forum page on a sticky. LMAO +rep

THE Nakedgun
07-17-2009, 04:03 AM
How about the other way around get you MSN contacts into steam?

dejavecue
07-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Well that is a bit ridiculous. The Steam Chat was obviously implemented with the goal to easily join your friends in-game, to stop people having to alt+tab out of the game all the time, and copying&pasting IP-addresses all the time.
It was not designed to be as "social" as the more common IMs (although it is, by extension "social").

What I would think of as very nice: Enable it as a form of plugin for the IM clients (like f.e. Miranda IM --> it would only take one single file, e.g. "Steam.dll") and add a status like "Not on Steam" or "From IM" or similar as a permanent, so other people see you are not logged in. Also, separate the messenging thingy from the usual Steam servers. That way I could still converse with my Steam Friends, even when the login-servers and so on are temporarily down (and ask questions like "can you connect to steam?")...

Why it will probably not be implemented:
MSN is closed source, plug-ins are not really common.
Same for ICQ (except maybe about closed-source, but I think it is).

All those heavily-customizable IMs (in other words: "The Good Ones") are only used by few people, compared to the whole....sadly...

freeloader105
07-17-2009, 08:39 AM
All those heavily-customizable IMs (in other words: "The Good Ones") are only used by few people, compared to the whole....sadly...

That's why you get something like Pidgin and talk to them all.

>X<
07-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Msn on steam overlay here is the webpage (http://msn-webmessenger.com/) log in and chat with msn, aim or yahoo while you play.

Enjoy Cheers.

ReBoot
07-17-2009, 06:54 PM
do u think the same system like is in google gmail and gtalk? if so it could be very cool feature 4 example u register accaunt/use existing log in steam community via web browser and chat in build in flash chat thingy :pYes, I am thinking of something like that, except the flash thingy. Web chats are aswell doable via Ajax and Ajax is usually more userfriendly than Flash.

Geister
07-17-2009, 11:30 PM
As it has been mentioned, opening the Steam chat protocol means opening the Steam authentication. The chat itself is encrypted, so it would also mean opening this encryption and ruining all security there is on Steam.

Also, dejavecue has a point, the friends chat was meant to be an easy way to play games with your friends, not a "social" tool such as mainstream chat protocols.

A separate chat client provided by Steam could be a solution, without making it public, but as many said, just install Steam and you don't have to buy or install games to chat.

Honestly, all those suggestions of converting the chat to an open protocol or to a web chat all get me say: Why not using existing technology then? Why don't you use all the programs you cite as an example instead?

>X< brought up an interesting point, connect to those mainstream chat programs from the in-game interface web browser and your problems are solved.

Do you really need to talk to everyone while you're playing?

"This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill."
~ The Soldier (Team Fortress 2)

I agree with Seth.Sekhmet.

kdorf
09-30-2009, 05:30 PM
As it has been mentioned, opening the Steam chat protocol means opening the Steam authentication. The chat itself is encrypted, so it would also mean opening this encryption and ruining all security there is on Steam.

All I have to say about this is that you, and anyone else who believes this, is an idiot. Please do some research. Firstly, SSL is an OPEN PROTOCOL and legit websites that take your credit card info. use this to secure it.

Secondly, see OpenSSH: http://www.openssh.com/

Thirdly, Linux is open source and it is good enough for the NSA. See http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/. The NSA worked on SELinux, which is ALSO OPEN SOURCE.

I wanted to cast my vote for this idea. I have several friends that don't use other IM programs while they're in Steam because it ruins their games (makes it minimize). Even when I might not be at home it gives me a way to talk to them without intruding on their session.

Yes, I know this is an old thread but there's no reason to at least open the protocol up and let the community do the work for you, Valve.

Puggsy
09-30-2009, 05:48 PM
/signed

for worst idea of the century

kdorf
09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
/signed

for worst idea of the century

That's right, voice your stupid opinion without any justification. That will make people listen.

Puggsy
09-30-2009, 06:11 PM
That's right, voice your stupid opinion without any justification. That will make people listen.

That was called jeering.
You have no grounds to assume my opinion is stupid, just because I didn't elaborate on how pointless it is to use steam friends without the actual client.
If your OS isn't compatible with the steam client, then i recommend MSN or AIM.

Jagged Tooth
09-30-2009, 11:03 PM
And when you're at school, Steam friends should be the least of your problem. There are much more important things to do... like homeworks? nah?

We all know kids go in to anaphylactic shock when they try to do homework.

This would not comprise Steam security. Valve would simply create an open API that would allow other IM clients to connect. It would need to see any information about games and logging in would be subject to the same restrictions as the regular Steam client.

Zefar
10-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Why people still can't just install Steam and use the whole Friend feature and the Steam community is beyond me.

It's not like Steam alone is such a power hungry program that it will suck every bit of power it can.

kdorf
10-01-2009, 07:03 PM
That was called jeering.
You have no grounds to assume my opinion is stupid.

Sure I do, because you said this:

If your OS isn't compatible with the steam client, then i recommend MSN or AIM.

Which is a clear indication of one of two things:
a) That you didn't read the entirety of my post or
b) that your reading comprehension needs work

Once again, let me emphasize that I'm not asking Valve to spend any of their time working on this. I'm asking that the protocol be made public so that OTHER people can work on it. There is no downside.

@Zefar: Some of us use operating systems other than Windows.

ReBoot
10-02-2009, 04:37 AM
Then just use Wine.

fresco
10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
/me signs

I like the idea of having ALL of my contacts in one list (i.e. Trillian's contact list ;)).

slayvus
10-02-2009, 11:34 AM

Agreed, I don't spend my taxes on stuff for schools just so kids can use it improperly. If you REALLY wanted to, just install Steam on a flash drive...

AndreasChristod
10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
The point of Valve introducing the Friends system is to encourage more people to download Steam. Why would they want to reverse that?

freeloader105
10-02-2009, 08:31 PM
The point of Valve introducing the Friends system is to encourage more people to download Steam. Why would they want to reverse that?

It's true that more people are forced to get the Steam client the way it is now, and as a result, are more likely to buy Steam games after seeing ads.

It is also true, however, that by allowing Steam chat to take place outside of the Steam client (such as through a multiplatform Ajax or java interface on steampowered.com), the existing steam users are better served. Which I guess may not necessarily translate to more money for Valve.

westies
10-02-2009, 10:40 PM
I support the idea. Not everyone wants to or is able to run the Steam client all of the time to talk to people on their friends list.

echo419a
06-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Why people still can't just install Steam and use the whole Friend feature and the Steam community is beyond me.

It's not like Steam alone is such a power hungry program that it will suck every bit of power it can.
what about making a separate "Steam Portable" which will allow you to launch the games library independent from the steam community client. This way, the chat client can operate through a proxy at school/work. Users that want to run normal steam (ME!) can do that, and then people that want it separate (ME!) can that as well, i would like the steam chat on my laptop, and the full client on my desktop...

TerminalAddict
06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
/signed

jabber transport !!!

FrostGiant
11-21-2010, 07:56 AM
If steam even just opens up the API for the Chat, dozens of 3rd party developers would make clients for smart phones... I'd use this feature all the time. I could chat with friends while waiting on the bus, or while going out somewhere.

/signed

soulofsorrow
01-15-2011, 01:16 AM
I get sick of entering my password when switching between my laptop and desktop just so I can talk to steam clients. I've stopped using msn because mostly steam chat is far more reliable and less full of childish bloat.

It definitely would be useful to be able to log into my account normally on my main pc and then also just the chat part on my laptop, obviously without the option to play my games on 2 seperate machines.

It seems to be human nature for people to assume that their needs are those of everyone else's and if you don't need it its a bad idea. You are not the center of the universe...

m-p{3}
01-16-2011, 02:13 PM
I'd like to see the Steam chat feature transitioned to XMPP (Jabber), but that's just me :)

gszx1337
01-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I don't think that Steam chat being independent is a good idea, but I would like to see some sort of Steam plugin for Pidgin or Steam chat on Meebo if at all possible.

(I know that won't happen, though.)

Linkin93
01-17-2011, 09:32 PM
How about a seperate app for mobile devices (chat only) and a Steam Chat Client that doesn't require the main program and can be installed without it, purely for chat?

cryeR
06-15-2011, 09:17 AM
is this the real deal ? http://code.google.com/p/pidgin-opensteamworks/

Teh_Guy
06-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I want to talk to my steam friends without logging into steam..

yeah.. makes COMPLETE sense
/sarcasm