PDA

View Full Version : Where do downloaded maps go?

Thxly
05-28-2009, 11:45 AM
When you download a map in-game while joining a server, where is the file stored?

I'm trying to add maps to my custom server, but I can't find the map files. You'd think they would be under the Maps folder, but they're not.

Any insight's appreciated. Thanks.

Jukebox101
05-28-2009, 11:53 AM
good point i dunno either. But at least u can try this thread

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868964

Many good will people made this thread of map compilations

Void(null)
05-28-2009, 11:54 AM
steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/maps

xjames0x
05-28-2009, 12:15 PM
No it isnt. steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/cache
Then read the ini file or watever and it will tell you which codes represent which map. U will now what im talking about when u see it

sper09
05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks james, I was wondering where they went to :). What's the point of the maps folder then?

xjames0x
05-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks james, I was wondering where they went to . What's the point of the maps folder then?For solo maps and maps that you have downloaded off a website. Also if u rename the maps in the cache folder to KF-(mapName)and put them in the map folder they will show up on the map list

Thxly
05-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help james.

aura89
05-28-2009, 01:35 PM
For solo maps and maps that you have downloaded off a website. Also if u rename the maps in the cache folder to KF-(mapName)and put them in the map folder they will show up on the map list

if only it did that automatically.....really makes no sense to have a cache for maps downloaded when they could just automatically be named KF-(mapname), put in the map folder, and everything all good after that...

fuegerstef
05-28-2009, 02:26 PM
if only it did that automatically.....really makes no sense to have a cache for maps downloaded when they could just automatically be named KF-(mapname), put in the map folder, and everything all good after that...

With hundreds of thousands of maps* it makes perfect sense.

Example:
You have downloaded a map named "Sacrifice" off a website and it is in your maps folder.
Now you join a server that has an updated version of that map (or an earlier version) or even a totally different map from another author named also Sacrifice. (Another reason could be that someone changed a little in that map (for example adding more ammo) and put that map onto his server without renaming it)
Instead of getting a version-mismatch error and not being able to join the game the map on the server is put into your cache folder while the first map in your maps-folder is unaffected.

*) Remember this is based on UT 2004 technology where you have these thousands of maps.

aura89
05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
With hundreds of thousands of maps* it makes perfect sense.

Example:
You have downloaded a map named "Sacrifice" off a website and it is in your maps folder.
Now you join a server that has an updated version of that map (or an earlier version) or even a totally different map from another author named also Sacrifice. (Another reason could be that someone changed a little in that map (for example adding more ammo) and put that map onto his server without renaming it)
Instead of getting a version-mismatch error and not being able to join the game the map on the server is put into your cache folder while the first map in your maps-folder is unaffected.

*) Remember this is based on UT 2004 technology where you have these thousands of maps.

hm....

i guess that makes sense, however, it would be nice if it was better at doing what it does, granted this is UT2004 engine, i can't ask for much, but something as simple as what they currently have, by an ini file saying what file = what map, except when a duplicate occurs, such as your Sacrifice, would be named KF-Sacrifice.rom and the 2nd map you download is KF-Sacrifice(1).rom

Where the ini would say something like...

KF-Sacrifice.rom = KF-Sacrifice (2.98mb)
KF-Sacrifice(1).rom = KF-Sacrifice (10.72mb)

Your game would know what to do when connecting to servers based on the mb of the file, and you would have both to choose from

Or, even simpler, have the game read the current ini (cache.ini) to know what maps it has to play with, because currently the way it's done makes the maps inaccessible to anyone who downloads them from a server unless they know how to rename the files and do it manually so they can do what they want with it, just seems a bit annoying and not very bright way of doing it, granted again i acknowledge it is probably unlikely since it's such an old engine that we'll get anything like that

fuegerstef
05-28-2009, 02:53 PM
hm....

i guess that makes sense, however, it would be nice if it was better at doing what it does, granted this is UT2004 engine, i can't ask for much, but something as simple as what they currently have, by an ini file saying what file = what map, except when a duplicate occurs, such as your Sacrifice, would be named KF-Sacrifice.rom and the 2nd map you download is KF-Sacrifice(1).rom

Where the ini would say something like...

KF-Sacrifice.rom = KF-Sacrifice (2.98mb)
KF-Sacrifice(1).rom = KF-Sacrifice (10.72mb)

Your game would know what to do when connecting to servers based on the mb of the file, and you would have both to choose from

Or, even simpler, have the game read the current ini (cache.ini) to know what maps it has to play with, because currently the way it's done makes the maps inaccessible to anyone who downloads them from a server unless they know how to rename the files and do it manually so they can do what they want with it, just seems a bit annoying and not very bright way of doing it, granted again i acknowledge it is probably unlikely since it's such an old engine that we'll get anything like that

I will see if the UT2004 cache-extractor works for Killing Floor. Maybe it is posted here as a sticky for the masses to download then.
I also could make a simple tool like that by myself, but don't know if I have time to do so. :)

EDIT:
I think (but I could be totally wrong as I don't have neither UT or KF at hand) that in the ini the MD5hashes of the maps are stored.

toetags110
04-24-2010, 02:56 PM
If I wanted to skip the in game download process and pre-download map files via web browser, what location would I save to?

MavSky
06-28-2010, 06:38 PM
i have same question, how block download custom maps when join a server?

trilance
06-28-2010, 07:22 PM
The only thing you can do is to disconnect from the server when the download begins. That's the server doing the map change...and if you block the download, you can't play on that server until it switches to a map you have.

beerhead
06-28-2010, 11:16 PM
If I wanted to skip the in game download process and pre-download map files via web browser, what location would I save to?

all maps from web goes into
steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/Maps
the unziped file of course (.rom) ;)

,also sometimes the zip/rar file comes with textures or static meshes ,
so textures will go into textures >> steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/Textures

staticmeshes into staticmeshes>> steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/StaticMeshes

some also have sounds so they go into sounds :D

you can download all whitelisted maps from HERE (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41919)