PDA

View Full Version : Hijacked account and lost CD key

Kabana
05-29-2009, 01:04 PM
does anyone know how i can get my CD key? i lost the one i got when i bought CSS 31/2 years ago and every time i message steam support team they just tell me to send my CD key.

can anyone plz help?:o

wosz1234
05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
you know you login and password???

Sierra Oscar
05-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Why do you need it? If Steam support are asking for it, they most likely want a scan of the CD Key.

Kabana
05-30-2009, 01:37 PM
my account was hijacked exactly like this:

i tried to log in the other day and steam had a pop up saying you have been logged in with another computer. Then I log back in, it says invalid password.
I look at my emails inbox and what do I see? Your Steam password has been successfully changed and then "your account email has been sucessfully changed."

then i try to submit a ticket to get it back and realize that i lost my CD key from when i bought CSS at walmart.

i send them two support tickets both saying that i forgot it and i ever sent the support team a "lost CD key" ticket and i havent gotten a responce from either yet. :/

i just want to know what can i do?

NEZ-Leader
05-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Can't do very much.
Prolly got your account hijacked from a scanning tool embedding a ghost file in your system, or you went to a valve cheat tool site, steam free game site or something similar to that nature.
There's only a very limited number of things that could cause someone to scam your info while you're not awake (or online to steam at least).

If you don't have physical proof, it's basically your word against his (the scammer), in which case, unfortunately, your argument has no grounds.

People don't get their accounts scammed out of thin-air, something happened for this issue to arise.

TheMG
05-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Do you have any other games on that account? You can use a scan/photo of any CD-key that has been applied to that account, or if you purchased one or more games on it you can use your payment details as proof (CC info, PayPal, etc).

This page explains what can be used as proof of account ownership:
Reclaiming a Hijacked Steam Account (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2347-QDFN-4366)

Kabana
05-30-2009, 01:51 PM
ya i did have other games i purchased. but i didnt have any of them installed at the time of the hijacking, will it still work?

ester25
05-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah, all they want to know is proof of ownership of the account, not the game specifically

NEZ-Leader
05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Do you have any other games on that account? You can use a scan/photo of any CD-key that has been applied to that account, or if you purchased one or more games on it you can use your payment details as proof (CC info, PayPal, etc).

This page explains what can be used as proof of account ownership:
Reclaiming a Hijacked Steam Account (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2347-QDFN-4366)

For this reason, I am glad 1/2 of all my valve games are retail-purchased.
Take a tip from this guy here, buy a couple of the games retail, 2 cd-keys can validate an entire account full of games (an extra $5-10 for a cardboard box seems more than worth it for peace of mind).

psykl0n
05-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Well, can't a scammer then buy a couple $5 games over Steam with a stolen account and be able to act as though they own the account legitimately?

NEZ-Leader
05-30-2009, 02:08 PM
yeppers

That's why i said it's basically their word against the scammers

Unless you have actual physical proof, it's extremely unlikely you can properly prove that account/key was originally yours

sofien
05-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Well, can't a scammer then buy a couple $5 games over Steam with a stolen account and be able to act as though they own the account legitimately?

yeah good idea so what will happen then!!!

NEZ-Leader
05-30-2009, 02:12 PM
You learn your lesson and continue life

Kabana
05-30-2009, 02:12 PM
hmm, well i have a F.E.A.R. CD code and i bought the orange box quite a while ago... i just cant figure out how to get the info because it was a while ago...

L.o.D.
05-30-2009, 02:48 PM
yeppers

That's why i said it's basically their word against the scammers

Unless you have actual physical proof, it's extremely unlikely you can properly prove that account/key was originally yours

If a game is bought using a credit card or paypal, that info can be used to reclaim the account as well.

NEZ-Leader
05-30-2009, 02:58 PM
.......which would involve a recipt of some kind, which is physical proof (a printed digital recipt is considered physical, duh!).

That also depends if:
A) Both valve and the purchaser kept invoice/recipt copies/records
B) The scammer didn't remove that saved information on your account (there is an option that you can fast-track your purchases by saving the billing info, which, I REALLY hope NONE of you do)

But I bet you quite a large amount of money that most people throw those e-mail notifications out you receive after confirming digital purchase, or, also do not take screenshots of the "thankyou for purchasing....." screen that shows you the order# and a MASSIVE button to open your games browser tab.

*sigh*

L.o.D.
05-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I have heard that they ask for the last 4 digits of the CC used to also verify games purchased for said account.

Instead of just jumping to conclusions, just ask support what they accept.

NEZ-Leader
05-31-2009, 08:00 AM
That's the most sound advice so far LoD

I think the last 4 digs of your CC are asked for security verification for ALL CC purchases now (paypal does it, amazon, buying them straight off CC does it, literally ALL online retaliers do that security verification

cryptodan
05-31-2009, 08:08 AM
For this reason, I am glad 1/2 of all my valve games are retail-purchased.
Take a tip from this guy here, buy a couple of the games retail, 2 cd-keys can validate an entire account full of games (an extra $5-10 for a cardboard box seems more than worth it for peace of mind).

Or you can buy via PayPal, and keep the digital receipt in your email. Also you can buy something cheap and keep that as proof of ownership. Its what I do, and it alleviates all needs to scan and upload a picture of your key and username. I just copy and paste the receipt from email in the ticket, and that was enough to get my account back.

NEZ-Leader
05-31-2009, 08:27 AM
YEPPERS cryptodan

It's VERY EASY and EASILY RECORDABLE, but people don't think anything of it, then something like this happens.

To tell you the truth i have extremely little sympathy/remorse for people who have their games stolen/accounts hijacked and they made NO attempt whatsoever to keep records, inform themselves of the LEGITIMATE steam/valve web links, or read forums (how about this one?) giving tips and issues to be aware of when engrossed in the "steam experience".

Almost all of my steam digital purchases I did through PayPal. Why?

-PayPal sends a purchase confirmation AND digital purchase recipt for every PayPal purchase, that's two e-mails.

-Valve then sends an e-mail also giving a digital purchase record and recipt, that's one more e-mail

-on top of that, I take screen caps of the actual confirmation of financial transaction on PayPal when purchase is confirmed, and also on the Steam GUI page that pops up after your purchase that mentions your Order ID# and what game was purchased, that's two screen caps.

-THEN I go into the game properties while it's downloading and IMMEDIETLY screen-cap the cd-key, that's one screen cap

So for every purchase I ever do here, I have 3 e-mail, and 3 screen caps confirming EVERY step of the transaction until it is actually loading in my games list.

IF ANYONE IS DOING ANYTHING LESS THAN THIS, OR NONE OF THESE THINGS, YOU HAVE NO GROUNDS TO ARGUE ACCOUNT THEFT.

TAKE THE 5 MINUTES AND 2MB OF HDD SPACE AND SAVE YOURSELF HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS. THIS IS PURE LAZINESS AND YOU PAY FOR IT, SO START A REGIMEN FROM NOW HEREIN!!

Kabana
06-01-2009, 04:34 PM
now its asking me for an "invoice ID" i dunno what the F that is, is it like a receipt for the purchase? if so i bought the game a long time ago, :( ahh i dunno what to do!

Kabana
06-01-2009, 04:36 PM
>:/ were did that reply come from? lol well i dunno how to take screenies :( and i guess il check my email and hopefully i didnt delete them

NEZ-Leader
06-14-2009, 08:00 PM
you hit the PRINTSCREEN button, then go start--->Run
type: mspaint

paste

save-as
There's your screen cap

NEZ-Leader
07-31-2009, 10:30 AM
bumped so more people get the hint

Slytor.slinal
06-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Why do you need it? If Steam support are asking for it, they most likely want a scan of the CD Key.

the same thing happened to me, except I was disputed by another user, and I got the ownership proof of purchase but they asking me the cd-key used to activate it, first game was bought in overseas how is it possible to reactivate the account when they are asking the first cd-key to scan and were I lost it 7 years ago.?

richei
06-19-2010, 11:23 PM
YEPPERS cryptodan

It's VERY EASY and EASILY RECORDABLE, but people don't think anything of it, then something like this happens.

To tell you the truth i have extremely little sympathy/remorse for people who have their games stolen/accounts hijacked and they made NO attempt whatsoever to keep records, inform themselves of the LEGITIMATE steam/valve web links, or read forums (how about this one?) giving tips and issues to be aware of when engrossed in the "steam experience".

Almost all of my steam digital purchases I did through PayPal. Why?

-PayPal sends a purchase confirmation AND digital purchase recipt for every PayPal purchase, that's two e-mails.

-Valve then sends an e-mail also giving a digital purchase record and recipt, that's one more e-mail

-on top of that, I take screen caps of the actual confirmation of financial transaction on PayPal when purchase is confirmed, and also on the Steam GUI page that pops up after your purchase that mentions your Order ID# and what game was purchased, that's two screen caps.

-THEN I go into the game properties while it's downloading and IMMEDIETLY screen-cap the cd-key, that's one screen cap

So for every purchase I ever do here, I have 3 e-mail, and 3 screen caps confirming EVERY step of the transaction until it is actually loading in my games list.

IF ANYONE IS DOING ANYTHING LESS THAN THIS, OR NONE OF THESE THINGS, YOU HAVE NO GROUNDS TO ARGUE ACCOUNT THEFT.

TAKE THE 5 MINUTES AND 2MB OF HDD SPACE AND SAVE YOURSELF HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS. THIS IS PURE LAZINESS AND YOU PAY FOR IT, SO START A REGIMEN FROM NOW HEREIN!!

This is exactly why i keep all my paypal correspondance, though i never consdered having to use it as proof an account.

You said you have the Orange Box retail? send them a scan or pictures of the box and the bar code. that should be enough to satisify the support team. Doing the same with fear2. anything you can provide proof of purchase should do the job.

and people wonder why i buy games retail. this kind of thing is a darn good reason why.