PDA

View Full Version : Massive Problem

MintMouse
05-30-2009, 08:54 AM
G'day.

This is a new problem to me. Googling has turned up nothing.

Okay so, after a few minutes of playing any game on steam my computer seems to crash. The display goes off and doesn't come back.

This only happens on steam games. World In Conflict is fine. Crysis(& Warhead) is fine. Even gave furmark a extended run through and it's fine.

On Steam I can get into the game, e.g., L4D and play for two or three minutes and then it crashs. It also happens in UT3 and TF2. I cannot even begin to conceive of a problem that only affects these games.

I'm not overheating. I've tried the two most recent sets of nvidia drivers. Reseated graphics card.
I don't know what else to do.

...anyone suggest anything? =(

System:
GA-P35-DS3
Intel E3120
BFG 9800GTX+
OCZ Gold DDR2 800mhz

cryptodan
05-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Sounds to me like its either a heat issue or a driver problem.

MintMouse
05-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Sounds to me like its either a heat issue or a driver problem.

My GPU stays very cool. I've tried cleanly uninstalling and reinstalling two different nvidia drivers. 182.50 and 185.85. And it only happens on Steam games, more intensive games and stability tests are perfectly fine. I've also tried reinstalling steam. Validating the game files.

I've tried disabling the game overlay, friend pop-ups and any other way I can see that steam affects games, nothing seems to help function.
It happens both when playing online and offline...

cryptodan
05-30-2009, 09:14 AM
How did you cleanly remove the drivers? What program did you use? Also are all your windows updates completed?

MintMouse
05-30-2009, 09:22 AM
CCleaner.
Windows isn't updating.

cryptodan
05-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Any errors associated with Windows not updating lets address that problem first.

I would google Driver Sweeper, and use that instead of CCleaner.

MintMouse
05-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Sorry I meant that windows isn't updating at this time, it updates when there is an update available.

Anyhow, I have an update on the problem..I've switched out my GPU for another and it works fine...
This is really weird. I guess there must be something wrong with the graphics card...what would be wrong, though, that only happens on games I play through steam...it's not like they use the same engine...it's weird.

Now if I try to RMA and they test it they will likely find no fault?

cryptodan
05-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Try the RMA anyways, what and tell them just what you told us. What video card did you replace it with?

MintMouse
05-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Try the RMA anyways, what and tell them just what you told us. What video card did you replace it with?

Swapped it out with a 9800GX2...seems to be running very nicely.

cryptodan
05-30-2009, 10:59 AM
RMA the problematic one.

√أяц๖ۣۜS
05-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Please tell us the temperature it's running at, we'll tell YOU whether it's running hot or not.

And a little advice, might wanna update that cpu. It's bottlenecking that video card terribly, your getting like 1/3 of the performance you would if it wasnt bottlenecking. I have an 8800 gtx and had to run my e8500 up to 4ghz to get the full potential.

cryptodan
05-30-2009, 03:49 PM
And a little advice, might wanna update that cpu. It's bottlenecking that video card terribly, your getting like 1/3 of the performance you would if it wasnt bottlenecking. I have an 8800 gtx and had to run my e8500 up to 4ghz to get the full potential.

Negative I had a 8800GTS 640 in my computer with a E6400 and it ran just fine. If you had to overclock your CPU to get yout video card to perform better then your video card was defective or something else was wrong with it.

MintMouse
12-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Please tell us the temperature it's running at, we'll tell YOU whether it's running hot or not.

I know what hot is.

An E3120 is the Xeon version of the E8500 and it was clocked at 4.2Ghz. To the next guy...an OC'ed CPU will improve Graphic performance depending on the game and neccessary data throughput.

Anyway, I only got back to this thread because I only got my RMA through today. I got a nice GTX280 through instead of a 9800GTX+ back which was pleasant after I took all this time to do it! :)

Anyway, this is just a long overdue thanks for the responses.
-Mint.