PDA

View Full Version : Highest 'Vase Breaker Endless' record?

jameskond
06-06-2009, 04:59 AM
So what's your guys highest Vase Breaker Endless record? Vase Breaker is the only thing about PvZ I still play (I'm over 100 hours in the game) and my highest streak is 32

So, anyone got higher than that?

sleepbox
06-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I believe I got to 28.

Fever
06-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Ten. Damn...

Update: Twelve. Daaaamn!

mathesar
06-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Mine is 19 (so far): screenshot (http://ded.zenblue.net/PvsZ/PvsZ_Vasebreaker_Streak.jpg)

Taikanatur
06-09-2009, 01:25 AM
I had to stop in the middle, but since I'm running out of sun, I also don't think I'll survive much longer.

Streak: 38 (http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4394/vasebreaker38.jpg)

sleepbox
06-10-2009, 07:14 AM
I think VB endless is the best part of PvZ. I keep coming back to it.

chuckleslove
06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
My best is 30, I had really bad luck when I got to the 31st wave and ended up with 4 of the Gargantuar in my last row and they broke eachother out and I had nothing left to stop them.

tonka
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Mine is 15.

Thanny
06-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I got 31, but the second wave of four Gigantuars was too much.

Mellemhund
06-12-2009, 01:42 AM
34 atm. it's all about saving those squash.

pppppppppp
06-14-2009, 02:29 PM
well i've finished adventure twice and have a complete zen garden (scaredy shroom finally dropped for me!) and have a tree of wisdom over 1000 feet and i have all achievements.. but the vasebreaker one! and that irks me. haha. any tips/guidelines? especially those guys who can go up to over stage 30! i can't even make it to 15. mostly i lose the stage when i break from the right-most column and a few squashes pop out, and then i know i have to save them for gargantaurs but i've no idea where they are! so to prevent the squash seed packets from disappearing i smash down the columns to try to find the big guys. and then there's too much stuff going on for me to handle unless i find them within 1-2 columns, which has a pretty low probability.

Thanny
06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Don't save the squash - put them at the head of rows, and keep on breaking vases at the right, one at a time (or as many as you can handle with the plants on hand). You don't actually need squash to kill the gigantuars, and often you don't want to use it before they are halfway, so they don't throw the imp.

Mellemhund
06-16-2009, 12:11 AM
well i've finished adventure twice and have a complete zen garden (scaredy shroom finally dropped for me!) and have a tree of wisdom over 1000 feet and i have all achievements.. but the vasebreaker one! and that irks me. haha. any tips/guidelines? especially those guys who can go up to over stage 30! i can't even make it to 15. mostly i lose the stage when i break from the right-most column and a few squashes pop out, and then i know i have to save them for gargantaurs but i've no idea where they are! so to prevent the squash seed packets from disappearing i smash down the columns to try to find the big guys. and then there's too much stuff going on for me to handle unless i find them within 1-2 columns, which has a pretty low probability.

What i Do is:
First i break the two green vases. If i get squash, mine or wall nut i place them in either the top or the buttom row. With that setup I'll break the right-most vase in that row and when i get a zombie, I'll let it walk till it's in the middle of the next vase. That way I get them all walking in a bunch and they can be taken out by a single squash. I try to place all peashooters in the middle three rows.

Don't ever squash a Gargantuan before the middle of the screen, unless you do it with two squash at the same time or it already have been damaged enough to have 1 bandaid. Otherwise it'll throw it's Imp at you and you'll either have to waste a squash or possibly lose a shooter.

If you have a lot of squash laying around, set them up. You can also hold onto one if you click it and place it later. Sometimes it's even possible to juggle the plant cards, so that you don't have to place them before it's needed. It's quite hard and you risk having a couple of them disappear.

A Guy
06-16-2009, 02:33 AM
What i Do is:
First i break the two green vases. If i get squash, mine or wall nut i place them in either the top or the buttom row. With that setup I'll break the right-most vase in that row and when i get a zombie, I'll let it walk till it's in the middle of the next vase. That way I get them all walking in a bunch and they can be taken out by a single squash. I try to place all peashooters in the middle three rows.

Don't ever squash a Gargantuan before the middle of the screen, unless you do it with two squash at the same time or it already have been damaged enough to have 1 bandaid. Otherwise it'll throw it's Imp at you and you'll either have to waste a squash or possibly lose a shooter.

If you have a lot of squash laying around, set them up. You can also hold onto one if you click it and place it later. Sometimes it's even possible to juggle the plant cards, so that you don't have to place them before it's needed. It's quite hard and you risk having a couple of them disappear.

Those are some interesting strategies. I didn't know a single squash could kill multiple zombies. It's never happened to me.

Edit: Thanks! I got my achievement doing it this way. The squash is more useful than I thought.

Thanny
06-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Those are some interesting strategies. I didn't know a single squash could kill multiple zombies. It's never happened to me.
Killing a whole row with one squash is a good strategy, but it doesn't always work. The zombies do not walk precisely in sync, so you can frequently end up with leftovers after the squash does its thing.

The snow pea helps greatly with this, as anyone getting ahead of the pack is slowed down, while those falling behind get unfrozen and speed up.

It's harder to get them in line enough for the potato mine.

And there's always the risk that the next vase holds a gigantuar or the jack-in-the-box guy.

pppppppppp
06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
thanks for the tips fellas! i've got my last achievement! and i think i can go on for quite a few more levels.

edit: i lost at level 38 on that run. just two nights ago i couldn't even reach 15. haha. i've a new-found relish for vasebreaker i'm going to go at it again!

thegrublet
06-29-2009, 06:35 PM
My record is 46. I've reached that three times, as well as 43, 44, and 45. I think it's possible to break fifty, but I can't see going much farther than that. I think vase breaker is brilliant, and it's my favorite part of Plants vs. Zombies. It's like a game of chess. You make a move, the game counters, and on and on, the Plants and Zombies trying to outmaneuver each other with each move. Like chess, there are so many subtleties and strategies. Here are several of my strategies.

1. Unlike what I've seen suggested, don't break the green vases first. Break two or three of the brown vases in the upper right and see what your first zombies are. You'll likely uncover a plant as well. Then, if necessary, break the green vases and plant accordingly. I try to leave the green vases unbroken as long as I can so I can break them when I'm outmatched.

2. Learn what plant combinations are required to defeat each kind of zombie based on their starting lane. For example, a threepeater in one lane and a repeater in the second can take out a bucket head zombie from each of the three leftmost lanes in the repeater lane. A repeater and threepeater in the same lane can only take out a bucket head up to the second lane without losing your threepeater to zombie munching.

3. Don't pick up or plant your cards right away. For example, when a squash is revealed, if you have three vases in one line, begin breaking them and only plant your squash if necessary. That way, you're ready if a bucket head or Gargantuan appears, but can save the squash for another line if there are plants or zombies your setup can already handle. There is a risk that by waiting you may lose the card, but it's worth it. Be sure to watch for the card flickering so you can snag it before it disappears.

4. Once you're holding a card, you can hold it indefinitely. A great situation is when you have a zombie advancing and you're not sure whether your peashooters will defeat it or not. Hang on to the card as long as possible and only plant it at the last moment, so if they're successful, you can plant it in another line. Remember that squash jump left as well, so you can allow your peashooter the chance to take the zombie down all the way to the left. Squash, however, can't reach quite as far left off the screen as your cherry bomb.

5. My default pea shooter setup for plants is a repeater in each lane farthest right, a snow pea at top and bottom left, the single shooter middle left, and the threepeaters second from the top and bottom. This is the most even distribution of strength across the board, because the weakness of the single shooter is compensated for by both threepeaters shooting into the middle lane. Of course, with the unpredictable way each level develops, this default setup is often varied.

6. Master breaking vases in sync with a zombie's approach towards your awaiting squash. You can smash up to three of the closest vases plus the advancing zombie without them separating and get all four with one squash. Trying for the fourth vase, for a total of five zombies, has mixed results. Sometimes they split, sometimes they don't. Are you feeling lucky?

7. For Gargantuans, especially when they start farther to the right, a peashooter and squash to the left, and repeater to the right can clear a whole line. It's the strongest line.

8. As you get into the twenties and thirties, be patient. Allow each zombie to be eliminated before opening up another vase. Sometimes this is a bit laborious, but it's crucial.

9. In the thirties and forties, the need to use your cherry bombs becomes more common. If you see an unmanageable situation developing, don't wait to use it. Use it right away, with as many zombies as possible in range. That way, the cherry bomb will have time to recharge if you need to use it later in the same level. Sometimes, if you're going to have to use a cherry bomb anyway, it's also a good idea to break any additional vases in range rather than just the ones that are visible.

I hope that helps. I'll drop back in to report if I'm able to break 50 and witness six Gargantuans tromping across the screen. Good luck.

Thanny
06-29-2009, 09:22 PM
5. My default pea shooter setup for plants is a repeater in each lane farthest right, a snow pea at top and bottom left, the single shooter middle left, and the threepeaters second from the top and bottom. This is the most even distribution of strength across the board, because the weakness of the single shooter is compensated for by both threepeaters shooting into the middle lane. Of course, with the unpredictable way each level develops, this default setup is often varied.

I have the same model setup, though, as you say, it's often changed by circumstances.
6. Master breaking vases in sync with a zombie's approach towards your awaiting squash. You can smash up to three of the closest vases plus the advancing zombie without them separating and get all four with one squash. Trying for the fourth vase, for a total of five zombies, has mixed results. Sometimes they split, sometimes they don't. Are you feeling lucky?

Snow peas make a big difference here. You can do an entire row with the freeze effect keeping them in sync. Having any shooters in front and behind provides a chance to kill those out of sync, too (though not bucket heads).

The same tactic works with the potato mine as well, though the distance tolerance is bit lower.

thegrublet
06-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Well, ironically enough, after posting here yesterday evening, I finally hit 50 immediately thereafter. I was out of cherry bombs and my single repeater got the last Gargantuan with only his ankle still visible. Nice. And, sure enough, on level 51, the mayhem began quickly and I had to resort to breaking vases desperately looking for squash, resulting in all six Gargantuans tromping across the screen as I had so presciently anticipated :) I screen captured the last four here (http://www.grublet.com/scraps/caps/pvz50.png).

pppppppppp
07-02-2009, 01:11 AM
that's incredible! congratulations grublet. so far my streak stands at 40. 5 gargantuars was too hot to handle for me, and i lost on 41.

Mellemhund
07-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Have reached 39 my self. Didn't have the cherry recharged and died with 1625 sun :(

The snow pea helps greatly with this, as anyone getting ahead of the pack is slowed down, while those falling behind get unfrozen and speed up.
Good point.

2. Learn what plant combinations are required to defeat each kind of zombie based on their starting lane. For example, a threepeater in one lane and a repeater in the second can take out a bucket head zombie from each of the three leftmost lanes in the repeater lane. A repeater and threepeater in the same lane can only take out a bucket head up to the second lane without losing your threepeater to zombie munching.

But taking out one line with 1-2 squash leaves you to concentrate fire on 4 lanes instead! with the 3peater in #2+3 those line are easy killzones.

3. Don't pick up or plant your cards right away. For example, when a squash is revealed, if you have three vases in one line, begin breaking them and only plant your squash if necessary. That way, you're ready if a bucket head or Gargantuan appears, but can save the squash for another line if there are plants or zombies your setup can already handle. There is a risk that by waiting you may lose the card, but it's worth it. Be sure to watch for the card flickering so you can snag it before it disappears. I find this very necessarry for the higher levels.

7. For Gargantuans, especially when they start farther to the right, a peashooter and squash to the left, and repeater to the right can clear a whole line. It's the strongest line. and be sure not to do too much damage with shooters or squash until the pass the middle of the screen.

gratz with the 50!

EDIT: Got to 46, but messed up :( had plenty of sun!

Alex122790
07-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Yeah... I epicpwnz at vase breaker... my record is 3... same with i, zombie...

fakiyo
07-30-2009, 11:10 PM
I did everything without problem, and this is my last achievement...
I still don't manage to get it...

Any further tips?

Morant
08-07-2009, 04:06 AM
heh, seems got highest result so far. 53.

http://morant-idet-v.narod.ru/53.JPG

there are some simple rules, that helps you to have 30 levels in 35-40 mins, with 1500 cherries.
30-40 levels you pass with 2-3 cherries used.
40-50 - almost in each level i used a cherry
50-54 - even twice.

Mellemhund
12-08-2009, 12:37 AM
finally got past the 50 mark! Wonder how long till 60.

nyfe
01-21-2010, 02:32 AM
I've made 64 (http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/nyfe/view/128541/?page=0).

tp3333
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
J'essaie actuellement d'arriver au niveau 100...

J'en suis Niveau 91 avec 10 méchants gros-lard qui casse tout et des zombies avec des seaux sur la tête :o pas vraiment sympathiques...

inutile de dire que dès le niveau 40 ça devient très très sérieux et stratégique... ça me rappelle Warcraft2 !!! snif...

http://vallonsnicois.ifrance.com/pz/vasebreaker91.jpg

tp3333
04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
VASEBREAKER RECORD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I try to join level 100

I'm level 91 with 10 big monsters breaking everything...

very serious from level 40, and very strategic...
like warcraft2

weakest
05-23-2010, 09:46 AM
An interesting thing happens at 90 - you still only have 9 gargantaurs. I guess the number no longer increases. I got there using save game so getting there is not impressive.

New Orleans
11-27-2010, 07:03 PM
I played this level for 3 and a half days thinking I could beat it... I thought I just sucked at it but when I reached 30, I knew the joke was on me. :rolleyes:

ic1male
01-15-2011, 05:28 PM
36. I was stuck forever around 25 and then last night cleared another 11! I ran around the house telling everyone of my success.

zionyx
02-12-2011, 08:04 AM
my wife got to level 54... lol
crazy maniac

http://www.pixhost.org/show/112/5819853_vasebreaker54.jpg

lovezombies
03-07-2011, 12:43 PM
54! Actually, mostly by luck. Some other guy claims to have made it to the 60s. That's gotta be tremendous luck! (Or perhaps they try Save games. I didn't do that. Just luck for me, and I don't expect to be able to do it again.

Fredgrigri
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
61! I just did it 10 min ago (I don't use save games) and yes I was lucky but also a bit unlucky, I almost hit 62, and I had 1000+ sun.

Superoso
07-07-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm sitting on 74 with a couple of cherry bombs to spare but don't want to use them. If I have the energy I'll start from the beginning and save a massive amount of sun. Most levels up to around 65 can be done without cherry bombs. I assume you do realise that going to main menu after a failure and re-entering gives you another shot. Don't take the "try again" option. So just do a few failures breaking everything to know the layout, make a diagram and work it all out at leisure away from the computer. Also, the series of layouts appears to be constant for a given user, but is not shared by other users. Once you have beaten a level, also exit to the main menu and re-enter. Eight gargies appear around 70 but the main problem I've found is getting a cluster of bucketheads down the left. Also, several coincident gargies seem to go down as easily as one with a squash - that helps.

BenWah
07-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Vasebreaker is the most fun part of the game for me!
Brilliant game design.

JayKayJay
07-31-2011, 08:03 PM
I love this game too, it's definitely the best part of PvZ, in fact I think they've stumbled on something that seems to have infinite depth. Like someone says above, it feels like chess, with the number of permutations. I loved it when someone said they ran around telling their family when they got a new record: every time I've got further, I go and tell my wife with a big smile, and she says, "Well done dear, that really is a wonderful achievement" with just the slightest hint of sarcasm :-)

Anyway, I finally cracked 50 yesterday, getting all the way to 54 (using one or two Cherry Bombs for each of the 50-somethings). I still had 450 sun remaining but all the gargies were in the left-hand half of the vases and it was just too much.

But I wanted to ask about this Save Game feature: for me, when it says Try Again, if I click Main Menu and then go back in, it just starts me off at the beginning again. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I need a different version of the game?

I'm not sure if I'd want to use it but the amount of luck you'd need to get past 60-something would mean playing for a ridiculous number of hours...

Scha44
08-13-2011, 06:18 AM
I'm sitting on 74 with a couple of cherry bombs to spare but don't want to use them. If I have the energy I'll start from the beginning and save a massive amount of sun. Most levels up to around 65 can be done without cherry bombs. I assume you do realise that going to main menu after a failure and re-entering gives you another shot. Don't take the "try again" option. So just do a few failures breaking everything to know the layout, make a diagram and work it all out at leisure away from the computer. Also, the series of layouts appears to be constant for a given user, but is not shared by other users. Once you have beaten a level, also exit to the main menu and re-enter. Eight gargies appear around 70 but the main problem I've found is getting a cluster of bucketheads down the left. Also, several coincident gargies seem to go down as easily as one with a squash - that helps.
Didn't know of this exploit, maybe thats why my high score is only 52. Seriously, using that method is pretty lame.

Miba
10-12-2011, 04:15 PM
At the start of the year my highest was 19, but in July I made it to 21. Last month I made it to 24. Got to 25 two weeks ago thereabouts. Now today I made it to 33! That's without the save game cheat thing. :D

FlutterDash
10-15-2011, 08:06 AM
sadly ive obly gotten to 5 D: stupid huuuge zombies lol

mobus1603
10-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Made it to 45, which I felt pretty good about. The later levels actually aren't too bad, cuz the Gargantuars often get clumped together and can all be easily hit with one squash. It's those damned Imps that I hate :o
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s185/mobus1603/Untitled.png

Asterion
11-02-2011, 11:42 PM
I cant even get achievement for 15 streak. D:

mobus1603
11-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Got to 58! I was hoping to hit 60, but I was happy to even get past 50.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s185/mobus1603/Vasebreaker.png

juliemarie
08-15-2012, 05:14 PM
I can't get past 60 on vasebreaker endless. Is there anyone who can give me some pointers to get to higher levels? Also, for those of you who has gotten past 60, does anything change besides more giant zombies?

ionize
09-30-2012, 09:07 AM

>.>

It's not an accomplishment if you use an exploit to gain an advantage like that. Seriously, why would you brag about cheating?

Personally, I don't play Vasebreaker a whole hell of a lot because the farther you get, the more luck based it becomes.

Heavy Weapons
10-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Save-and-restore is cheating? How so? It's included as an option in the game. It's not like you have to enter a secret code to be able to do it. Just back out to the main menu, which saves your progress, then reenter, which starts it up again at the save point. Not a cheat at all.

Personally, I don't play Vasebreaker a whole hell of a lot because the farther you get, the more luck based it becomes.

I agree. "Play-till-you-lose" games tire me.

ionize
10-25-2012, 08:55 AM
You're right, my mistake.

It's not cheating, but it is an exploit that in function doesn't differ a lot from cheating.

And yes, I know it's single player and it doesn't really matter if someone decides to use something like that, but it's still really silly to brag about doing well when you have a way to restart every single level without having to go back to the beginning as was intended.

Heavy Weapons
10-27-2012, 02:40 AM
...it's still really silly to brag about doing well when you have a way to restart every single level without having to go back to the beginning as was intended.

Well, it's a moot point, because it doesn't work. Once a vase has been broken, any exit, be it by in-game controls or alt-F4 or alt-tab and task-manager end-task,or even cold-booting in mid-game, overwrites your save with the current status. If you did any of these when it was clear you were about to be brain-munched, all that would happen is you'd restore the game and lose a few seconds later.

Which means either that Superoso's method was his version of Dumbo's Magic Feather, giving him the confidence to play on and achieve great things even though it was a total placebo, or that he's fuller of tripe than the inside of a cow when he claims to have gotten a streak of 74 by saving and restoring.

Should we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it's the former?

Superoso
11-06-2012, 11:30 PM
The trick really does exist I'm afraid, at least on my computer and my version of the game. My vasebreaker is now sitting at streak 100, at which point I lost interest some months ago. Our son is the gamer in the family and he gave us PvZ. I am a dead loss at all computer games and hardly ever play them, but in an idle moment I fiddled with it and found the method accidentally. He also expressed surprise that the writers allowed it to exist.

Heavy Weapons
11-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I've tried the method you describe. Here are my results:

--Start an Endless game, complete the level, back out to the main menu and reenter. The game saves so that I start at the beginning of level 2.
--Back out to menu after each successful completion and then reenter. The game starts at the beginning of the new level.

So far, so good. Now here's where it gets interesting.

Somewhere along the line, a zombie gets past my defense and reaches the house. I:

--wait until the announcement of my gruesome zombie death. Click on "Try Again". The game restarts at the beginning of level 1.
--hit the menu button before the announcement of my gruesome zombie death, back out to the menu, restart. The game loads in with the zombie stepping off the screen and my brain being eaten.
--hit the menu button after the announcement of my gruesome zombie death, back out to menu, restart. The game starts at the beginning of level 1, exactly as though I had clicked "Try Again."
--wait until the announcement of my gruesome zombie death. Alt-F4 to summarily exit the game environment altogether. Relaunch, reenter the endless game, it starts at the beginning of level 1.
--Use Alt-F4 to summarily exit the game environment altogether before the announcement of my gruesome zombie death. Relaunch, reenter the endless game, it starts at the point the zombie enters the house and eats my brain.

So, basically, what it all boils down to is this: There is no pathway I can find that results in a restore to the start of the current level in the event of defeat at any point. If you have found one that works for you, you should write it up as a step-by-step procedure and post it here. Also post the type of platform you are playing on. (Some things that work on an iphone may not work the same way on a PC.)

Superoso
11-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your post. You are quite right but so am I. I initiated a new vasebreaker (not with my 100 streak user, I'll keep that) and what you say is true, i.e. the distribution of vase content is not preserved upon losing. But I have several users active, a couple of whom were at higher streaks. So I tried them and, upon losing and re-entering, an unopened setup appeared, the locations of whose contents were indeed preserved. So this suggests that the thing starts to happen after some level. To find out exactly when will be a bit tedious but I shall try when I get enough spare time as it has me intrigued now. I had obviously forgotten I must have got through a few streaks before finding the trick months ago.

P.S. I tried a new vasebreaker just now and it started to happen at the failure of streak 2. The background screen to the "Continue" button starts to display a completely unopened set of vases instead of the remnants of the failure. On continuing, I found their contents were preserved. So the necessary level may not be very high.

I have a three year old iMac running Snow Leopard