PDA

View Full Version : FF "Click to Move" stuck to attacking!!! Help Please.

duffdog7576
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I stopped playing FF for a few days and came back to playing it today. There is an issue I came across though. When I go to click to move instead of moving the pointer is a fist. Anything physical I click on Minuteman ends up attacking. The only way I can move him is to right click to move but even then he doesn't look right while he is moving.

Ive tried reinstalling but no luck. I have no idea how to fix Anyone know how to fix this? :confused:

josephimports
09-01-2009, 08:19 PM
+1...have this same problem as well.

SharpAimX
10-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Same issue here, this is really irritating.

SharpAimX
10-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Can I get a fix?

AlexInParis
10-31-2009, 03:01 AM
On the bottom left (in-game), did you try and change the definition of left-click?

WendySkeleton
12-12-2009, 02:01 AM
On the bottom left (in-game), did you try and change the definition of left-click?

I am having this problem as well.

Do you mean the bottom left hand where the avatar of hero is?

Brummielad
12-13-2009, 02:38 PM

I have this problem, basically what happens is you get the fist icon all the time. No matter what you choose in the bottom left, it stays as a fist and you always attack if you left click.
Also, giving movement commands (which you can only give by the right click menu) makes the minute man go beserk and start running around everywhere but where you tell him to go.
Running Win 7 64 bit.
Solution please as the game is currently unplayable like this.

Brummielad
12-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I reloaded Windows 7 (64 bit) and it was working fine. Then it stopped working. After removing what I had installed since it was working, the culprit was Lord of the Rings Online. Removing this game made it start working again.
Not sure why, and haven't tested any further. But all I can see that LOTRO does is install Direct X 9c as well as the main program.
Not sure if this is any worth for anyone but there you go.....

3asytarg3t
12-23-2009, 08:49 PM
I've got exactly the same problem. That's why I came to this forum, to find out if I was the only one, looks like I'm not, but also looks like there's no solution. Glad I only donated 3 dollars to Valve for this non-playable game.

Win 7 64bit

3asytarg3t
12-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Btw, to the poster that said change the bottom left key load out, how do you change it? Didn't see it as configurable in options.

AlexInParis
12-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Btw, to the poster that said change the bottom left key load out, how do you change it? Didn't see it as configurable in options.

It's IN-GAME - not in the options.

3asytarg3t
12-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Right, it's "in game" and unless you can modify the choices, it doesn't FIX THIS PROBLEM (sorry, couldn't resist the caps in response to your use of them), hence the reason why i asked if it was changeable in options, which btw it's not, which means it's useless here as a solution

here btw is THE solution which i figured out myself, applies to win 7, suspect it'll apply to vista as well, and even XP for that matter

go into steam directory, drill down to the steamapps, then common, then freedom force, right click on the executable, which in this case is called fforce, then select properties, select 2nd tab called oompatability, and then pick windows 98/windows ME (the o/s out and about when this game originally released), hit ok, and then jump back to steam and fire up the game - you should now be in a compatibilty mode the game is comfortable with

if your experience is similiar to mind, you'll find yourself in the game wtih an error pointer and capable of movement at last

if you don't, then jump out of the game, select the game in steam by right clicking it in your My Games listing in steam, click on properties, then select the 3rd tab called local files, finally select verify integrity, again, if your results are like mine, the verification process will find 8 files are jacked up and need to be replaced, it will then replace them

jump back in the game and see if that did the trick, everything will have defaulted back, so you'll need to tweak vid settings etc again

final note, under win 7 i could find no way to use any sound other that software version of direct sound, the rest either didn't work or locked up the system or a combo of both, i'm assuming this is because the SB drivers i've got under win 7 are really an emulation themselves that this older game just doesn't recognize, if anyone figures out a solution to this particular issue, please post it, i'd like to play w/ hardware EAX, but that's just not an option that i've been able to make work under win 7 64bit

ok, that's all i know, i felt duty bound since i posted here looking for a solution to come back and update with how i solved the problem this thread is about, hope it works for others, now i'm off to save Libery City, happy holidays

Tullaian
12-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Did that actually fix the cursor problem for you? Or are you just playing it with the fist icon using the right click menu?

I've got W7-64 and FF does install and run but with the cursor problem described where no matter what you do the cursor is set to attack only.

You can move using the right click method but a lot of the time the character will try to attack move which is especially apparent when you are trying to jump up onto a building and instead you smash it to the ground.

I'm running FF using XP SP2 compatability and Direct Sound Software emulation which gives me game and sound , repatching the 8 files as noted above.

Has anyone running it under W7 got the game cursor to respond properly ?

S7Thunders
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Here is the fix I finally obtained for windows 7.

1) Right click on Freedom force icon and choose properties
2) Click on the Shortcut tab
3) Edit the shortcut target line to add the two new arguments at launch:
-winxp -32bit

My target line after editing looks like this:
E:\Apps\Steam\Steam.exe -winxp -32bit -applaunch 8880

If you put steam in it's default folder (mistake IMHO) then the launch text may need or already have quotes in it to handle the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ spaces in windows directory names.

4) Press the OK button and try the game.

xabbott
01-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Here is the fix I finally obtained for windows 7.

1) Right click on Freedom force icon and choose properties
2) Click on the Shortcut tab
3) Edit the shortcut target line to add the two new arguments at launch:
-winxp -32bit

My target line after editing looks like this:
E:\Apps\Steam\Steam.exe -winxp -32bit -applaunch 8880

If you put steam in it's default folder (mistake IMHO) then the launch text may need or already have quotes in it to handle the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ spaces in windows directory names.

4) Press the OK button and try the game.

I'm still having the same problems. Win7x64, GTX275. :(

Arphahat
01-29-2010, 11:13 PM
I am still having the issue listed here as well. I am going to open a ticket with their help to see what they suggest.

Darktronik
01-30-2010, 06:30 AM
got the problem, too.

Another: i can't continue the campaign.

Arphahat
01-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I installed XP Mode on Win 7 and tried running FF through there. It crashes right away with an error message saying "Error, init..." and if there is more text, I cannot see it.

Anyone have any luck with this?

soulrver
01-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Having the exact same issue (Win7x64), the game is unplayable as is. Neither of the suggested methods to fix it in this thread worked for me. Though I did get the message that 8 files failed to validate when checking the integrity of the game cache, as one poster said. Maybe the download is bad?

cristian240sx
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
I was having the exact same problem. The first method suggested by 3asytarg3t worked perfectly, the only issue was that the sound option selected 'no sound' afterward. But I just reverted to the one that said software emulation and now the game is working 100%.

cristian240sx
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
btw: i am running windows 7 64 bit

Arphahat
01-31-2010, 07:31 PM
I was having the exact same problem. The first method suggested by 3asytarg3t worked perfectly, the only issue was that the sound option selected 'no sound' afterward. But I just reverted to the one that said software emulation and now the game is working 100%.

When I try to run the game in Steam after making the compatibility change, I get an error saying "The game is currently not available. Try again later." When I check integrity and download the files, I still have the same issue.

Arphahat
01-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Ah ha! Closing down Steam and setting the compatibility of Steam to XP SP3, and then changing the compatibility of FForce.exe to 98 allowed me to run the game and the icon now works.

lhb1
02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
I have that problem as well when I give the command to move he goes running off in some kind of weird circle. Im running Win 7 32bit. I tried all of those compatibility settings on both Steam and the fforce.exe. Did not make a difference. Sometimes it work work on the first few moves/get help, but eventually he runs in a circle. ANNOYING! The Third Reich game seems to work though, but I would like to play through the first. :mad:

soulrver
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Ah ha! Closing down Steam and setting the compatibility of Steam to XP SP3, and then changing the compatibility of FForce.exe to 98 allowed me to run the game and the icon now works.

Can't believe it but that actually worked! What an odd fix. I hate running Steam in compatibility mode, so I hope Valve fixes the issue. But I can play the game now, so thanks! :D

kimota
02-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I have that problem as well when I give the command to move he goes running off in some kind of weird circle. Im running Win 7 32bit. I tried all of those compatibility settings on both Steam and the fforce.exe. Did not make a difference. Sometimes it work work on the first few moves/get help, but eventually he runs in a circle. ANNOYING! The Third Reich game seems to work though, but I would like to play through the first. :mad:

I was having the exact same problem. I fixed it by going to Compatibility settings for fforce.exe and checking "disable desktop composition". No other changes were necessary; I still have the OS compatibility unchecked and no adjustments to steam.exe were needed. This also allowed left-clicking on information to work, which was also messing up for me before.

lhb1
02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks kimota. That worked. Whoda thunk!? Don't even know what that setting means, but it solved the issue.

jprophet
02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Can't believe it but that actually worked! What an odd fix. I hate running Steam in compatibility mode, so I hope Valve fixes the issue. But I can play the game now, so thanks! :D

Valve just punted me to Take2 for support. Says it is their problem. I wish the 'work arounds' mentioned here worked for me...

soulrver
02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Valve just punted me to Take2 for support. Says it is their problem. I wish the 'work arounds' mentioned here worked for me...

They did the same to me, which seems useless (thanks Valve). I'm still having some issues with the game even with all of the workarounds - was playing tonight and the pause functionality decided to stop working. Then the sound cut out completely. If it keeps up I may move on to the Third Reich game, though I'd really hate to miss out on the first one.

denixen
02-18-2010, 02:49 PM
So yeah, I had that crazy issue where I would click at a location and my character would move in the opposite direction. Also, I had the messed up icon problem as well. Forcing v-sync within nvidia's control panel (260gtx with Vista64) and enabling compatibility mode did nothing for me. The magic fix was disabling desktop composition. All seems to be stable for now. Thanks for the fix! :D

ae123
02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
kimota's fix worked for me -- Compatibility settings for fforce.exe and checking "disable desktop composition" -- but only after I disabled my second monitor as well. Running Win7 Home 64-bit.

*** Edit 4/8/10:

Well, the fix worked and then it stopped working.

Seems like adding -w to the Steam launch properties (making the game run in windowed mode instead of fullscreen) has fixed the mouse issue for me. As an added benefit, I can run it this way and keep dual monitors on.

Tullaian
03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Finally got it working though Kimota's fix didn't work for me it was a mix of the above suggestions. For me the magic combination was;

Compatability Mode - Win98/Me
Disable Desktop Composition - On
NVIDIA control panel custome profile - Vsync Disabled.

I've got W7-64 Home Premium and running atm NVIDIA 195.62

Glad I came back to this thread as I'd given up ever getting it to work right.

crazysnake
08-09-2010, 05:41 PM
im having this problem and none of these solutions have worked for me

i read somewhere that cleaning the registry might do it and steam can do it, but i cannot find it within steam. im running the game off a disk btw

Polykleitos
09-11-2010, 04:28 PM
yep im in the same boat. done all these fixes. no joy.

thanks steam

AlexInParis
09-11-2010, 11:50 PM
I can't find my shoes and I looked for them everywhere.

Thanks Steam!

Bague
07-16-2011, 05:27 PM
i had this problem too and what got it working (for now), was actually disabling compatibility mode and all otgher stuff except for disabling the composition thingy.

Mr. Noobtastic
07-24-2011, 12:40 AM
I just bought this game off Steam a few days ago, and been trying to find ways to fix this problem. I've tried all the methods mentioned in this thread and still no luck. I really want to play this game.

Bentusi
09-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Finally!

w98 comp worked for me. But I still think it`s very strange that the game worked perfectly on this cp summer 2010 and then suddenly had all these issues in 2011. My save games from last year are still here and I don`t think I`ve even uninstalled the game.
Steam is weirdness it would appear....

Bentusi
09-25-2011, 09:55 PM
I just bought this game off Steam a few days ago, and been trying to find ways to fix this problem. I've tried all the methods mentioned in this thread and still no luck. I really want to play this game.

Try changing the compatibility of the ff exe to 98 instead of xp, then set the Steam exe to administrator. This appears to have worked for me now.