PDA

View Full Version : Away message

ultradude25
06-13-2009, 12:36 AM
We really need the Away message to show while in-game.
I know you can go offline, but there is no reason not to replace the In-game part with Away or Busy. You can easily tell if someone is in a game by the colour so you don't need that text.

g859
06-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Well, if you have chat open before they go AFK in game, it will say "John1234 is now away." in the box, just like when they are outside of the game, but this is not convenient enough for most users.

I've always wanted custom status updates for steam such as:

"Away - Dinner", "Busy - Phone", "Snooze - Movies" or even "Offline - Vacation".

Though they would make it easier to relay what's happening, this could easily be abused somehow and would mean more harm than good.

ultradude25
06-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, if you have chat open before they go AFK in game, it will say "John1234 is now away." in the box, just like when they are outside of the game, but this is not convenient enough for most users.

I've always wanted custom status updates for steam such as:

"Away - Dinner", "Busy - Phone", "Snooze - Movies" or even "Offline - Vacation".

Though they would make it easier to relay what's happening, this could easily be abused somehow and would mean more harm than good.
Well the point of the away message while in-game is so I don't message friends who are actually away. I wouldn't have the chat box open when they went away, so I have no way to know they are away, until I've actually sent a message.

I don't see how those could be abused? Have a set list of common things. Or if you want completely custom ones, then you could add a checkbox into settings which allows you to toggle a swear filter, which will show up on any friends Away message. Even if they have it off, it will still filter it.
Same for the other way round, if they have it on and you have it off, they won't see the swear words but you will.

ioscream
11-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm gonna bump this, though I haven't read thoroughly through the "short" (long) list of suggestions. Someone in the community has bound to have a solution for this.

lionheart1066
11-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Valve need to add this to the status's for steam friends, i've often had to change my name in order to get people to stop messaging me while I go do other things to only return to find them on a rage spree because I didn't respond...

tylep14
09-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Ok so I found this online lol......Hope it helps you guys!!!

------------------------------------------

Open up steam and click the “add non-steam game” button

-
A pop-up window should open up. From there, check, and add any application, though I suggest using wordpad.

-
Your chosen application should now be listed in your “Installed” game list. Right click the respective app and click on “properties”. Another pop-up window should appear, in here you’ll notice 3 lines, the first is the Name of the application and it’s the only line of relevance, you can leave the rest alone. In the first line, you replace the original name of the app with what ever message you had in mind then double click the app icon as if you were to start a game, and BAM! Your done. Every one will now see you playing a game with your desired message as the title. REMEMBER to keep the application (wordpad) OPENED if you want to keep the status up. Once the application closes, it ends the status.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It’s very important that you don’t change your game status too much as every time you do, all your online friends get updated, and if done too often, it can get spammy and detracting, some thing im sure your friends won’t appreciate.

cylon
09-27-2011, 04:41 AM
Ok so I found this online lol......Hope it helps you guys!!!

------------------------------------------

Open up steam and click the “add non-steam game” button

-
A pop-up window should open up. From there, check, and add any application, though I suggest using wordpad.

I actually did do this last week. My Steam name showed as :

NickName
In Non-Steam Game
Watching Doctor Who

:D

(oh and well done for re-opening a thread thats been closed for 2 years!)

tylep14
10-13-2011, 06:43 PM
(oh and well done for re-opening a thread thats been closed for 2 years!)
No Problem... That's why I love google :cool:

Elegance
11-18-2011, 03:50 PM
No Problem... That's why I love google :cool:

Indeed, obligatory post after finding QQ:confused:

MrPancakesFatty
11-30-2011, 12:54 PM
We need this :P

Batabii
01-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Sorry to necro, but seriously, we need this BADLY. And I hate when people abuse the "add steam game" as if it's twitter. I don't need to be spammed every 5 minutes with your every move. And it doesn't work if you're already in a game but still want to change your status. For example, I want to see if my friends have 3ds friend codes, but I don't want to change my name and I want it to show up while I'm in-game.

Also GET RID OF THAT STUPID AUTO AWAY.

Do you KNOW how annoying it is to get

user is now Away.
user is now Offline.
user is now Away.
user is now Online.
user is now Offline.
user is now Online.
user is now Away.
user is now Online.
user is now Offline.
user is now Online.
user is now Offline.
user is now Online.
user is now Away.
user is now Online.
user is now Away.
user is now Online.
user is now Away.
user is now Online.
user is now Away.
user is now Online.
user is now Offline.

all day long?

And WHY don't status messages have timestamps?!

Uzibeatle
04-12-2012, 01:45 PM
IT warms my witch leaning heart to see zombie threads re-meatified.

I suppose the issue listed above isnt' much of a issue for
players like me with tiny friends lists. Couple of whom haven't
logged in for nearly 2 years. Muhaha.

That said, Yeah I could see how that prior posters suggestion
could be abused badly but doubt many would be 'abusive'.

I had the same idea using the 'non steam' game method to set
away message.

However, it would be preferable if they did allow users
to set /away (with a short message) and perhaps include
a timer so some idiot could not abuse it with a spam bot storm.

Say, every 60 seconds or so at most allow a user to set /away message or maybe every 5 minutes.

Batabii
04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
This problem STILL has not been fixed, so I think a necro is perfectly acceptable. FIX IT VALVE