PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion (Mods?)

PhantomHunta
06-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Does anyone know if mods from rpgbanana.com or the Oblivion editor works? i would like to know since im pretty keen on modding this game and making my own things with the Dev Kit.
Thanks in advance :)

Sierra Oscar
06-17-2009, 02:05 AM
The retail version is the same as the Steam version, you can use mods.:)

PhantomHunta
06-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Awsome! so i will be able to use the Editor aswell? :D

jon_hill987
06-17-2009, 02:12 AM
Apparently the Oblivion Script Extender, which a lot of mods need, does not work with the Steam version.

Sierra Oscar
06-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Awsome! so i will be able to use the Editor aswell? :D

The actual editor works fine, its the same setup with Fallout 3 - and Fallout 3 mods work perfectly on Steam.

Apparently the Oblivion Script Extender, which a lot of mods need, does not work with the Steam version.

Any specific info? I cant see why it would not work.

EDIT: Ah yes, .exe issues.

PhantomHunta
06-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Thats fantastic :D!

Why would the steam version's Script Extender not work? Ive read on another post that the Mod Manager works, so if that works then so should most other mods, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

Grimspoon
06-17-2009, 02:21 AM

Why would the steam version's Script Extender not work? Ive read on another post that the Mod Manager works, so if that works then so should most other mods, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

Mods like OBSE, MGE, etc. access the main executable which is not the same as the retail .exe, as it is encrypted for Steam's DRM.

Unlike Fallout 3, which has it's launcher encrypted instead of it's main .exe, allowing the FOSE to work just fine. The mods that rely on Oblivion Script Extender and Morrowind Script Extender (as well as Graphics Extender) will not work because Steam, in all it's infinite wisdom decided to do the opposite of what worked with fallout 3, and lock the Steam user community out of access to the best part of the Elder Scroll games; their modding community.

I suggest we request that Bethesda (It's not under Steam's control) take corrective measures in order to allow us to unlock the game's full potential!!!

Sierra Oscar
06-17-2009, 02:22 AM
I wonder if Beth are aware of the issues. Maybe there is not much that can be done though . . .

PhantomHunta
06-17-2009, 02:26 AM
In the case of this i suppose i will just have to get Oblivion off a friend. Oh well ^^ thanks for saving me 20 dollers, hehehe :)

Dragory
06-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Wouldn't the script extender work if you don't run the game straight through Steam but instead use the script extender .exe?

Aww... pity. Not then.

jon_hill987
06-17-2009, 02:40 AM
I suggest we petition Steam to take corrective measures in order to allow us to unlock the game's full potential!!!

Bethesda are the only ones who can do anything about it. Community modders can't as they would be breaking the encryption, and Valve can't because it isn't their software.

Petitioning Bethesda wouldn't hurt though.

Grimspoon
06-17-2009, 02:43 AM
I don't know who controls what, either way we need someone to stand up for us to make things right, be it Bethesda or Steam.

I was under the impression Bethesda supported the modding community, and encouraged it's growth. So I find it baffling that they would create an insurmountable hurdle by allowing the encryption to reside in the game's main executable instead of the launcher, as they did with fallout 3.

Goteki-45
06-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Bethesda are the only ones who can do anything about it. Community modders can't as they would be breaking the encryption, and Valve can't because it isn't their software.

Petitioning Bethesda wouldn't hurt though.

Contacting Bethesda would be a very good idea. It's not beyond them to make the Steam versions of Oblivion and Morrowind compatible, since apparently Fallout 3's script extender works with the Steam version without issue.

Darrosquall
06-17-2009, 02:56 AM
thanks, I wanna buy the game, but if I can't use mod material, it's a very limitation. When they resolve, I will buy the game.

Grimspoon
06-17-2009, 02:59 AM
thanks, I wanna buy the game, but if I can't use mod material, it's a very limitation. When they resolve, I will buy the game.

A very powerful statement.

RogerDodger111
06-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Just don't go overboard with the mods guys. Too many and you can ruin the game completely...

jon_hill987
06-17-2009, 03:12 AM
Anyone know of a petition site where we can set up a petition, or would a Steam group be just as good (the L4D2 boycott group got attention)?

Darrosquall
06-17-2009, 03:12 AM
I have just played the game in xbox360 version, now I wanna get this version to play with add materials. Improvements graphics FTW

Grimspoon
06-17-2009, 03:26 AM
Anyone know of a petition site where we can set up a petition, or would a Steam group be just as good (the L4D2 boycott group got attention)?

I don't think an actual petition is very effective, the best we can do is make a reasonable request to bethesda and hope for the best.

PhantomHunta
06-17-2009, 03:27 AM
Thats what i want anyway, an overhaul of mods, gfx mods, my own content with the editor, Thanks for all the replies in this topic :D it certenly awnserd my question, and im sure a steam group (at the least) would be fairy adequate.

jon_hill987
06-17-2009, 03:51 AM
For those that want to send a message to Bethesda I found the following form on their website.

http://www.bethsoft.com/eng/contact_email.php

I'll have a look and see if I can find an actual email address later.

Darrosquall
06-17-2009, 04:15 AM
http://obse.silverlock.org/ in this list, mod who can never play with steam version. Are they very important?

Rumtruffle
06-17-2009, 04:33 AM
the oblivion script extender is not necessary at all to run the vast majority of mods for oblivion, or morrowind for that matter.

so boycotting because it doesnt unlock the ability to mod is incorrect. modding works fine, just some things (which are pretty minor anyway in the grand scheme of all mods released) wont work.

K0NGEN
06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
the oblivion script extender is not necessary at all to run the vast majority of mods for oblivion, or morrowind for that matter.

so boycotting because it doesnt unlock the ability to mod is incorrect. modding works fine, just some things (which are pretty minor anyway in the grand scheme of all mods released) wont work.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you there.
The most important and gamechanging mods require OBSE to change the game. I will, in fact, not buy the game on Steam right now because its modding potential is limited.

Also, the "vast majority of mods" make minor changes with no effect or purpose, and the truly interesting mods won't run without OBSE.

iTimmeh
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
lol contact Bethesda. You guys have never been to their support forums I guess.

pruuttus
06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Hope Beth are willing to help out. Hate it when you get an "inferior" product when all they'd have to do is swap one executable that they already have ready... Well two as Morrowind faces the same problem.

Guhndahb
06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Indeed, I consider some of the mods that depend on the .exe as essential, at least with Morrowind and I believe there are some personal essentials for Oblivion as well. Unless I have exactly the same ability to mod with the Steam version as I do with standard retail, it's an automatic no-sell. (I already own both but was considering buying again on Steam to get the expansions.)

And no, if you know what you are doing and do your due diligence, too many mods will not ruin your game. I used around 30 mods in Morrowind and a similar number in Oblivion (a couple of which I wrote for each). You definitely have to be careful, both because of incompatibilities as well as game play balance, but if you are careful it may greatly enhance your enjoyment. I personally consider Oblivion unplayable, consoley junk as stock, whereas stock Morrowind was not bad at all.

relaxeder
06-17-2009, 06:37 PM
I emailed Bethesda about it.

Mikel_S
06-17-2009, 08:31 PM
<<<"First of all, I would like to apologize for sending two messages. I am not trying to act like I have any power over your end-decision.

In the Steam version of Fallout 3, it is the LAUNCHER that is encrypted, which allows for MODders to make use of (and for players to use) the Fallout 3 Script Extender. For some reason, be it simply because Oblivion was set up differently or that you changed your policy between then and now or even if steam accidentally encrypted the .exe instead of the launcher, it is now impossible for MODders and gamers alike to make use of the Oblivion Script Extender.

If there is anything you can do (send an update to Steam or tell them to move the encryption around [after all, it IS your game]) to rectify this blockade put on your wonderful product (which I would buy if the OBSE would work), then I urge you, on behalf of gamers and potential customers (this could be their second buy!)...

To do whatever you can.

Thank you once more,
P--- J.

PS: Steam is a wonderful distribution tool. I understand it may not be important to you that it be seen to, as I can imagine that your retail sales are enough. But Steam is given a bad name by too many. Don't let your game become another reason people rally against Steam! Do yourself and steam and gamers everywhere a favor: Right this wrong!">>>

I sent that to them after accidentally sending a much less informational message earlier.

EDIT: I used the max amount of mods when I played Morrowind... only ONE required the script extender (or whatever it was for Morrowind). I remember when I got the message that too many mods were being loaded. Of course... the fact that the majority of it was "The Glory Road 2" didn't help... A shame that one never got released. Stupid legalities.

relaxeder
06-17-2009, 08:34 PM
You don't have to capitalize MOD, its not an acronym for anything.

Mikel_S
06-18-2009, 05:50 AM
its my personal opinion that modder looks like somebody misspelled something. Plus, as a key subject of the entire message, I wanted to make sure it stood out to some extent.

RuySan
06-18-2009, 06:54 AM
is it possible to use OOO in steam's version?

DaedHead8
06-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Nice letter Mikel, certainly better than the quick couple of sentences I sent to Beth. Hopefully something will come of all this.

plavski
06-18-2009, 09:51 AM
You can use OBSE if you pretend the Steam version of Oblivion needs a CD to play.

Clever people should be able to work it out.

Hitman 49
06-18-2009, 10:08 AM
is it possible to use OOO in steam's version?

I'm using it right now :)

Death Scatman
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
You can use OBSE if you pretend the Steam version of Oblivion needs a CD to play.

Clever people should be able to work it out.

GENIUS! I WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!

Tried it, OBSE works perfectly now. WITH THE STEAM VERSION!

YAY!!!
:D:D:D

StriderKai
06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
GENIUS! I WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!

Tried it, OBSE works perfectly now. WITH THE STEAM VERSION!

YAY!!!
:D:D:D

Please share? :P

CatatonicMan
06-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Please share? :P

Well, for example, if you own a disc copy of Oblivion, you could take the executable from the disk copy and replace the steam one with it.

Now when you play, you will need the disk from your retail copy to play, but the OBSE would work fine.

That is just one method to get the OBSE to work.

Orophin
06-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Huh... I wonder if one of the "patched" .exe's on gamecopyworld would work?

Then again, is that illegal? I'm not sure. I won't test it if it is.
If ya know what I mean.

Yarnold
06-21-2009, 01:44 PM
The retail version is the same as the Steam version, you can use mods.:)

Sierra, please edit this post so that people find the correct information which they are looking for.

Mods do not work with Oblivion from steam, so it is disingenuous for a steam forums mod to say they do.

persechini
06-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Sierra, please edit this post so that people find the correct information which they are looking for.

Mods do not work with Oblivion from steam, so it is disingenuous for a steam forums mod to say they do.

What mods are you using? I have almost 20 mods working perfectly

CynicalNinja
06-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Mods do not work with Oblivion from steam

Most of them do, actually. I'm using Oblivion Mod Manager, Script Extender, and a lot of mods that make use of both.

vipermcloud
06-23-2009, 07:56 PM

the thing with mods is some are made for o.s.e and some are made for o.m.m. some are made for both.

vipermcloud
06-23-2009, 08:36 PM
i began playing every mod i could get my hands on sense 06. and from what im reading if steam verson cant use all the mods its not worth it.

and steam is ripping off all of its users with the "delux" edition.
if u were to get the console or retail version of e.s4 goty u get everything in the delux. the game of the year edition only has the faction of n.o.t.n and has shimmering isles. u get those when u buy shimmering isles expansion pack.

now i have played just about everything i have seen, realism mods, l.o.t.r mods, warcraft mods, ♥♥♥♥ even starcraft mods. made the game entirely different.

the game itself sucks without atleast 5 mods from the sites and o.o.o m.m.m are required to play a version of oblivion that dosent feel like ur playing a rpg that u have no choice of whats happening in the world.

i use over 200 diff mods that either i have made, friends, or off of websites. not all of them are for everyone, but if there was an update pack it should involve.

m.m.m or o.o.o (adds a ton of new items/creatures and random stuff to the game for more fun/adventure. it also makes it so creatures dont get weaker as u get stronger, it either adds more creatures to the battle to make it more evenly fit or human/monster is stronger.)

natural wildlife (makes it so a mudcrap is not going to attack you from a mile away they actually act like they did in morrowind, bears roam in 2's or with their cups and dog creatures ushually roam in packs.)

birthsigns revamped (makes it so every birthsign actually does something, not just extra 15 points to start and another ability makes it so u are like 10x stronger)

crowded roads / adventures (makes roads and paths have travelers that are just moving along, a trader and his body guards, a group of heros roaming around killing monsters for money. a ton of stuff)

thats just what i suggest, i also have the lich kings armor and a frost castle dedicated to me, has storage, arena, throne and tourture room. a courtyard i added makes it so if u have the dragon mount mod u can have a landing pad and people who care to ur dragon. yes the dragon flys and its a little dull but u can easily get places fast.(not recommended for people who play with minimum specs, i play with minimum and its awesome but crashes alot)

McJake
12-25-2009, 01:34 PM
if u were to get the console or retail version of e.s4 goty u get everything in the delux. the game of the year edition only has the faction of n.o.t.n and has shimmering isles. u get those when u buy shimmering isles expansion pack.

What are n.o.t.n and shimmering isles?

in.meinem.turm.
12-28-2009, 02:08 AM
What are n.o.t.n and shimmering isles?

Knights of the nine and Shivering Isles are 2 Expansions for Oblivion that are sold seperately but are included in the steam-release Shivering Isles is included in both versions K.o.t.N. only in the version with the downloadable content.
K.o.t.N. is actually worth the extra money.

I played the game without any mods (except for the DLCs which were included in my steamversion.) still great. I don't know why someone would like to ruin the game with mods anyways. Mods are great and add a lot to the replay value of the game but you will get enough playtime out of the game anyways. If you complete every faction etc. It's much longer then 80 hours. and then there is still Shivering Isles and KOTN which adds 10-15 hours.

Askjosh
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Okay so I read all of the posts in this thread and just have to correct a few things.

First off OBSE will work with the steam version. You have to go to here http://obse.silverlock.org/ and download the beta version v0018 beta 4 of OBSE.

Now when you extract the files you want to copy all of the files with a .dll extention to C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Oblivion. then launch Steam.

The DLL files will automatically load with the steam version of oblivion. there is no need to launch it seperately from the executable that was included.

for those that want to the bare minimum and don't want to add alot of mods I would recommend that you at least download and install the unofficial patches as they fix a lot of bugs in the game that the official patches have not fixed and I would highly recommend the Birth Signs revamped mod.

I personally have 30 mods that I use on my Steam version of oblivion and they all work perfectly including the mods that required OBSE.

Jin_D3vil
08-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Can confirm the OBSE works, nice to be able to see the mods that are a major part of the Oblivion game.

Sean21892
01-08-2011, 11:22 AM
can anyone explain to me how i can get ANY mod to work, if possible on the Steam version of Oblivion?
i downloaded what Askjosh mentioned, and extracted all the files to the oblivion directory with the .dll extension, and it still doesn't work. might there be something i'm missing or haven't done?
I've been reading around, and apparently i need mods compatible with OBSE. is this true or false? because none of the mods i have say anywhere that they need the OBSE.

BLQQD
01-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I personally have 30 mods that I use on my Steam version of oblivion and they all work perfectly including the mods that required OBSE.

:D
finding mods that are compatable with steam/eachother/patches/updates/vesions can be a pain in the ♥♥♥ obviously youve done your research so y dont u put a list of those 30 mods u use?

and do you have all the DLC?

if u do plz post that list, i would love to have it!!

Lism UK
01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Guys it says on the site that it has steam support:

OBSE provides official support for:
Oblivion & Shivering Isles build 1.2.0.416. This is the latest official build of Oblivion. It provides fixes for the FormID problems and supports Shivering Isles. All users will need to update to this build in order to use OBSE v0017 and later.
Steam build 1.2.0.416 (in v0017b)Go to http://obse.silverlock.org (http://obse.silverlock.org/)/

I haven't tried it yet because my PC is crap, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. ;)

EDIT: Furthermore, there is a stick at the top of the oblivion sub-forum entitled: Instructions As To How To Get OBSE Working With Steam Version Of Oblivion. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900993)

So enjoy!

BLQQD
01-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Guys it says on the site that it has steam support:

Go to http://obse.silverlock.org (http://obse.silverlock.org/)/

I haven't tried it yet because my PC is crap, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. ;)

EDIT: Furthermore, there is a stick at the top of the oblivion sub-forum entitled: Instructions As To How To Get OBSE Working With Steam Version Of Oblivion. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900993)

So enjoy!

I dont just want the one.... but many

Lism UK
01-30-2011, 10:37 AM
I dont just want the one.... but many

One what? I don't understand what the problem is.

ItzzNinja
01-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Knights of the nine and Shivering Isles are 2 Expansions for Oblivion that are sold seperately but are included in the steam-release Shivering Isles is included in both versions K.o.t.N. only in the version with the downloadable content.
K.o.t.N. is actually worth the extra money.

I played the game without any mods (except for the DLCs which were included in my steamversion.) still great. I don't know why someone would like to ruin the game with mods anyways. Mods are great and add a lot to the replay value of the game but you will get enough playtime out of the game anyways. If you complete every faction etc. It's much longer then 80 hours. and then there is still Shivering Isles and KOTN which adds 10-15 hours.

Knights isn't actually an expansion -- just a HUGE DLC. SI you're right about though. Expansions have their own ESMs, which Knights does not. See: Kvatch Rebuilt, Hammerfell and Morroblivion.

ryanzero
09-23-2011, 01:22 AM
I love how modders and super users ignore the pleas of the common man.