PDA

View Full Version : Instructions As To How To Get OBSE Working With Steam Version Of Oblivion

Veloci1992f
06-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Here is how you get OBSE working legitimately:

1) Make sure you have received the latest update, we just updated on Steam about 30 minutes ago to make our binary more compatible with OBSE. Restart Steam if you are unsure and you should get updated. If you've replaced your binary with some non-Steam version you'll want to make sure it updates and you are on the new Steam shipped version.

2) Install OBSE into your steamapps\common\oblivion directory as you normally would

2) Get this file: http://media.steampowered.com/content/obse_loader.zip, and extract the obse_loader.exe over the top of the one from the standard OBSE install in your oblivion folder.

3) Run obse_loader.exe and everything should now work (you'll get passed through the loader first, just hit play).

I've contacted the OBSE guys so we can hopefully get our revisions to obse_loader added into the official OBSE package. Until then if you would like the source for the changes for obse_loader to compile yourself email me at jmccaskey at valvesoftware.com.

Well, what more can I say? Cheers!

EDIT: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10397984&postcount=42

Hi2u! Tw1TcH
06-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Instead of having this lost on page 3 of another thread, this is exceptionally deserving of a sticky.

Robert64
06-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, thank you Vavle! This is great, I regretted buying Oblivion when I heard that OBSE wasn't working with the Steam version.
I can sleep in peace now...

StriderKai
06-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Thank you Valve :)

maturin
06-20-2009, 12:30 PM
That was fast. Respect.

Void(null)
06-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Much respect, thank you.

CynicalNinja
06-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Very very nice, didn't think Valve would go out of their way to do this.

So glad OBSE works now. For those who don't have it, it's worth it just for Toggleable Quantity Prompt (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12859).

MrKlorox
06-21-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm having the damndest time getting it to work. Using the TQP plugin (as mentioned in the preceding message) just leads it to tell me as soon as I load a game that I need to have OBSE v 16 or higher installed... when I just freaking installed it. Do I need to run it as administrator in Vista or something?

EDIT: Yep, that certainly seems to be the case. Just make sure the obse_loader.exe is set to run as administrator in case it doesn't seem to work. The Streamline mod is quite nice.

moocow21
06-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah I can't believe Valve actually bothered to do this (I certainly wouldn't have), but I'm extremely grateful. And it was probably an excellent idea to start a new thread for this as well just so everybody knows OBSE works with it now and stops panicking.

Hipocracy
06-22-2009, 12:55 AM
THIS HAS CONVINCED ME TO PRE-ORDER L4D2

Aetius
06-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Oh, oh Valve!! Please fix Morrowind to work with MGE (Morrowind graphics extender) next! This is probably the most requested update for the steam version of Morrowind.

CatatonicMan
06-22-2009, 01:15 AM
THIS HAS CONVINCED ME TO PRE-ORDER L4D2

Don't do it! You'll only encourage their bad behavior!

On topic, it was a quick fix, and well done.

jon_hill987
06-23-2009, 07:11 AM
+1 Vote for stickythread!

Cheers Valve!

thelenko
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Holy crap o.o!

This has convinced me to buy all my PC games on steam. I never expected this level of support! In no way was it Valve's responsibility to ensure mods involving hacks to the executable to work.

Just amazing...

tacitus
06-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Please sticky thread

jmccaskey
06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm stickying this for now, though we are still working with the OBSE guys to get more direct integration so you won't even need the additional obse_loader.exe download. If/when that happens there will be a new post with simpler instructions.

SternRav0r
06-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Don't know if anyone else noticed yet but there is a v0017b of OBSE that includes a dll for the steam version on the official OBSE site. Don't need the exe from here and it seems to be working just fine. Or at least on my system anyway.

broken85
06-27-2009, 09:03 AM
First of all, huge kudos to Valve for an amazing support job on this one... this is far above and beyond anything I expected you guys to do, and I'm simply stunned.

Second, I'm testing out the new OBSE version that's supposed to work with the Steam version. I wonder if they knew about this new update Valve made to the Oblivion exe before putting that out?

update: Though I'm having a couple issues, they are probably unrelated. OBSE does seem to be working now through Steam (just by launching the game!) with the new official Beta release. Only problem is, you can't launch it with the obse_loader.exe now :)

jmccaskey
06-27-2009, 04:04 PM
First of all, huge kudos to Valve for an amazing support job on this one... this is far above and beyond anything I expected you guys to do, and I'm simply stunned.

Second, I'm testing out the new OBSE version that's supposed to work with the Steam version. I wonder if they knew about this new update Valve made to the Oblivion exe before putting that out?

update: Though I'm having a couple issues, they are probably unrelated. OBSE does seem to be working now through Steam (just by launching the game!) with the new official Beta release. Only problem is, you can't launch it with the obse_loader.exe now :)

Yes, the OBSE guys have now released a beta update which includes an obse_steam_loader.dll. If you simply have that DLL in your Oblivion folder alongside OBSE then Steam will now auto-load OBSE when you launch Oblivion from Steam (this does require you to have Steam community in-game enabled). No need to use obse_launcher.exe at all. This is the further integration I'd been talking about and we worked together with the OBSE guys to make it happen.

Xtacc
07-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, I had doubts to buy this game...but now..

Damnit, wheres my credit card :P

cradchaw
07-17-2009, 02:03 PM
WOW nice job steam!!!

Now please fix D2D version so I can use OBSE too :~(

Belcher
07-19-2009, 12:06 PM
I put the four .dll's into my Oblivion directory, as well as the obse_loader.exe, yet when I run Oblivion OBSE doesn't open.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? :eek:

damaged
07-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I put the four .dll's into my Oblivion directory, as well as the obse_loader.exe, yet when I run Oblivion OBSE doesn't open.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? :eek:

The new method fails for me, I just use the old method, outlined in the quoted part of post #1 of this thread.

Install OBSE v0017a, then overwrite the exe with jmc's loader, then run the loader instead of oblivion.exe.

Gimiz
07-26-2009, 05:04 AM
Link is dead =(

swest
07-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Ok, I'll ask the stupid question: What's OBSE?

- s.west

damaged
07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Ok, I'll ask the stupid question: What's OBSE?

- s.west

Oblivion Script Extender
http://obse.silverlock.org/

jmccaskey
07-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Link is dead =(

Sorry, it was broken for a day or so as we cut over some of our web hosting. It's back up now, but you shouldn't need it if you use the newer OBSE build that has the steam loader dll included. You should be able to just launch the game via Steam and it will auto-load OBSE as long as the DLLs are all in your Oblivion folder and you have the Steam in-game overlay enabled. The tricks here are just:

1) Make sure all the dll's from OBSE are in the oblivion folder, including the obse_steam_loader.dll
2) Make sure you are launching from the SteamUI, not running the game exe directly
3) Make sure you have the Steam in-game community enabled

Diskmaster
08-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Is there a workaround for those of us who cannot run the steam in-game community app (like in my case, those of us using linux/wine. :P)?

jmccaskey
08-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Is there a workaround for those of us who cannot run the steam in-game community app (like in my case, those of us using linux/wine. :P)?

You can try the zip file in the original post which hooks in with a different method and may work. I don't honestly know if OBSE works under linux/wine to begin with on non-steam versions of the game though. Linux/wine is obviously an unsupported platform for Steam, Oblivion, and OBSE so you may just be out of luck if neither the original zip file or the updated OBSE+overlay method is working.

ngwoo
08-21-2009, 04:02 PM
(this does require you to have Steam community in-game enabled).

So if I don't use Steam in-game, I'll have to continue using the OBSE_loader shortcut?

Rhiana8
10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
I have followed all the instructions, but the mod I have that requires OBSE isn't working...

I have the lastest oblivion version, fully patched, and the lastest OBSE version. I checked and all the OBSE files are in the right directory and all there.

If i follow the instructions here, and launch thru the SteamUI, the game runs fine, but if i cast the spell the mod added, I lock up and have to kill power to my computer to get out.

What am i doing wrong?

vitoor
12-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi.. sorry for the noob question

whats OBSE? is it some kind of patch?

Thanks!

damaged
12-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi.. sorry for the noob question

whats OBSE? is it some kind of patch?

Thanks!

OBSE is a program which hooks into the Oblivion.exe to extend its scripting capability, see here (http://obse.silverlock.org/)for more.

Cyborgdog
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
does this fix the crashing with vista users on oblivion and the uses of mods ?
also i have to download OBSE 0017 version and put everything in the oblivion folder + the loader he gave us in the topic ? pliz answer

damaged
01-07-2010, 07:57 AM
does this fix the crashing with vista users on oblivion and the uses of mods ?
also i have to download OBSE 0017 version and put everything in the oblivion folder + the loader he gave us in the topic ? pliz answer

No, OBSE does not fix anything, it is used for certain mods. I use Vista and lots of mods and there isn't any crashing, except when the game is exited, that has something to do with a certain mod or combo of mods, and has nothing to do with what OS they use.

<newline>

spyrochaete
01-28-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm astounded and incredibly impressed to see someone at Valve providing this level of service for a third party application. That's pretty much unheard of in this world. What other game developer or retailer would contribute to a fix and even offer to release the source code so you can compile it yourself?

Wow. Valve and Steam FTMFW.

snowleopard1024
01-31-2010, 11:03 AM
It seems that this information is still helpful - after numerous failed attempts at using the steam loader dll, I am now using this loader exe.

To be clear, I tried the following:

- Install OBSE 0017b (extracted all files)
- Run Oblivion.exe directly: Fail
- Run TES4 from Steam UI: Fail
- Use OBMM to launch any exe: Fail
- Use obse_loader.exe: Fail (obviously)
- Removed OBSE 0017b
- Installed OBSE 0018b6 (extracted all files)
- Above tests: Same results
- Downloaded this modified loader, overwriting
- Running new loader: Success!

I don't know if there is any long-term incompatibilities with using the 0018b6 DLLs with the older patched Steam loader, but it is actually working.

Tectonic76
04-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Sorry if im noobish but how do I know OBSE is working. I've read the faq and it didn't answer my question. Like I enabled the mods in the data files and stuff. When I launch Oblivion does the OBSE just do it's thing automatically or do I have to program it ingame or something?

damaged
04-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Sorry if im noobish but how do I know OBSE is working. I've read the faq and it didn't answer my question. Like I enabled the mods in the data files and stuff. When I launch Oblivion does the OBSE just do it's thing automatically or do I have to program it ingame or something?

Nothing special to do, it will print the OBSE version on the screen as Oblivion starts up to show it's running.

NeroConiglio
05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
So, just a paranoid question, now the Steam version of Oblivion is fully moddable? No incompatible mods?

FarisSedana
05-05-2010, 04:00 AM
I dont understandd please help me further :S i put the loaderr in the oblivion folder.. what now?

the unloved
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
do i only have to load obse once or every time i play the game?

damaged
05-18-2010, 10:33 AM
do i only have to load obse once or every time i play the game?

Everytime, it stays running and hooks into oblivion.exe.

ecxlex
05-21-2010, 01:55 AM
can we get an update to 1.8?

Void(null)
06-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I can confirm, Steam Compatibility for OBSE is not working for V0018.

Zeathy
06-11-2010, 04:08 AM
I am going to have to agree. I could not get it to work.

Extreme
06-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Umm guys...

You know that the latest version of OBSE has a steam_loader.dll right?

Just add it to the Oblivion directory along with the other OBSE files and it hooks automatically.

No need to download the file like it says in the first post

Zeathy
06-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Ahh ok. Thank you. For anyone else looking for it, I found the latest version here. http://obse.silverlock.org/

Zeathy
06-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I can not seem to get it to work. I dropped all of the files and folders into the oblivion directory yet now the game will not launch. Am I doing something wrong?

damaged
06-11-2010, 10:39 AM
I can not seem to get it to work. I dropped all of the files and folders into the oblivion directory yet now the game will not launch. Am I doing something wrong?

You need to have steam community enabled for that loader to work, if you are like me and do not use/like steam community, you can use the old method (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10397984#post10397984), though you will have to use an older OBSE, unless someone can convince jmccaskey to update his loader to work with the latest <3.

Void(null)
06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
You need to have steam community enabled for that loader to work, if you are like me and do not use/like steam community, you can use the old method (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10397984#post10397984), though you will have to use an older OBSE, unless someone can convince jmccaskey to update his loader to work with the latest <3.

That would be why it wasn't working!

I disable the Steam Community thing because it causes so many problems with older games. I just swapped out the .exe and ran it through OBMM, but let me try enabling the Steam Ingame thingy.

Edit: I turned on the Steam in game community thing, swapped back the .exe and loaded up Oblivion, Deadly Reflex wouldn't activate. Works fine when I replace the Steam Oblivion.exe and load it up from OBMM.

(I own Retail and Steam Versions of Oblivion.)

doominator70
06-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi, I recently installed this mod followed all the instructions in the readme the game does boot up almost into the main screen but once it reaches the main screen there are no buttons just the scrolling map that usually plays in the background and when i minimize the game it crashes. What could the cause of this be?

doominator70
06-13-2010, 04:40 PM
I hate to bump but anyone please? I have alot of mods that really require it installed but they wont work fully functional without it.

sneakbyte
06-14-2010, 06:45 AM
You need steam community enabled

doominator70
06-14-2010, 10:32 AM
It is, I got it working now (I dont know how it kinda just started working) but some of my script mods wont work as they are supposed to like the ones that are supposed to make your charecter pose.

MarkG
06-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Mine seems to be working but OBMM doesn't recognise it so it won't install a mod which claim to require it (or perhaps the mod itself is doing a check which isn't looking in the right place).

Threesixtyci
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Mine seems to be working but OBMM doesn't recognise it so it won't install a mod which claim to require it (or perhaps the mod itself is doing a check which isn't looking in the right place).

If that's the case then edit the script for the OBMM mod. (make a copy of your OMOD file first, though...) Hit the edit button in OBMM, while the OMOD file is highlighted. Go into the script (middle top if I remember) button, and delete the lines that are causing the problem.

It's should be the first lines of the script and should be pretty obvious of what lines they are. Just stop deleting at the 'End if' commands and leave the stuff after the 'End if', alone.

You can hit that check flow toggle to make sure that there are no errors. Then you hit the Create Mod button. And the given mod should no longer check for that OBSE executable. Now whether it works or not, I don't know, but it should activate....

GZA
06-17-2010, 06:49 AM
I'm having problems with OBSE plugins in OBMM too. But after downloading the obse_loader.exe, the scripts properly execute and decompress in OBMM now.

Mister.Brain
06-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi,
the OBSE dlls for steam are a great support i have to say, getting the OBSE to work with Oblivion XP omod was easy as pie.
But I still have a question about the OBSE: I've downloaded the "Elys' Uncapper" mod, which is just a .dll and the readme says

Copy OBSE_Elys_Uncapper.dll to your "<Oblivion installation folder>\DATA\OBSE\Plugins\"

That directory does not exist on default. when i create it and copy the dll there, does the OBSE automatically check if that path exists and if there are compatible files, or how does this work?
The Oblivion XP mod worked after activating it (the omod file) with the OBMM, and on every start i get a message like "oblivion XP initialized".
I never get any kind of confirmation message for the uncapper - how do i know if it loads or not?

EDIT: I think i found the answer to my question here in the forum when I found this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971369
according to this it does load if the dll is in the correct directory, just doesn't pop a message or anything. I will have to test it once i reach this point in the game.

Threesixtyci
06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm having problems with OBSE plugins in OBMM too. But after downloading the obse_loader.exe, the scripts properly execute and decompress in OBMM now.

Does anyone know what version of OBSE is in that OBSE_loader.exe (http://media.steampowered.com/content/obse_loader.zip)? There's been a few OBSE mods that I've seen that say they won't work on anything older than version 0018 (http://obse.silverlock.org/). Frankly, I rather use an executable for Steam than the .dll's that come in version 0018. It would remove the need of modifying OBMM, scripts that check for the OBSE_loader.exe, before allowing for the script to be activated.

7he ODdeST_1
06-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know what version of OBSE is in that OBSE_loader.exe (http://media.steampowered.com/content/obse_loader.zip)? There's been a few OBSE mods that I've seen that say they won't work on anything older than version 0018 (http://obse.silverlock.org/). Frankly, I rather use an executable for Steam than the .dll's that come in version 0018. It would remove the need of modifying OBMM, scripts that check for the OBSE_loader.exe, before allowing for the script to be activated.
I just place the .Exe file that comes with the V18 download in the folder. Then the scripts work. I haven't noticed any problems arising from doing this.

PS If a mod maker says you need V18 or higher, they have probably updated their scripts to account for the V18 .dll file, if they haven't then you should probably tell them.

Threesixtyci
06-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I just place the .Exe file that comes with the V18 download in the folder. Then the scripts work. I haven't noticed any problems arising from doing this.

PS If a mod maker says you need V18 or higher, they have probably updated their scripts to account for the V18 .dll file, if they haven't then you should probably tell them.

My mistake on the V18, it's V16 that I've seen... I'm using this: Realistic Leveler (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13879)

As for putting the .exe from V18 into the Oblivion Steam version. I remember when I tried doing that it gave me an error warning in a Msdos looking window that said I have the Steam version of Oblivion and to read the instruction of how to install the Steam version of OBSE.

It wasn't exactly worded that way, but that what it was basically telling me to do. I'm guessing you didn't get that error message?

7he ODdeST_1
06-22-2010, 04:45 PM
My mistake on the V18, it's V16 that I've seen... I'm using this: Realistic Leveler (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13879)

As for putting the .exe from V18 into the Oblivion Steam version. I remember when I tried doing that it gave me an error warning in a Msdos looking window that said I have the Steam version of Oblivion and to read the instruction of how to install the Steam version of OBSE.

It wasn't exactly worded that way, but that what it was basically telling me to do. I'm guessing you didn't get that error message?
No. I did the Steam version installation then I placed the .exe in the Oblivion folder. Also I still load Oblivion through Steam. I use the .exe file merely as a guide for any OMOD scripts that happen to search for it.

Threesixtyci
06-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Oh that makes sense. You're just fooling the OBMM script, then. I don't think I tried the executable and the .dll at the same time.

quartet1977
07-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I hope someone can help me with this. I have installed everything according to instructions, but my game crashes each time I start. Using the obse_loader linked to in the first post, OBSE loads, then the launcher menu appears. I click play, and the game starts to launch. After a few moments, I get a message saying that Steam has finished downloading DLC, the game begins to load - without OBSE - and then crashes. Using the latest version of OBSE (18b6) and clicking on play in the Steam UI, OBSE does not launch at all. I have community settings on. Is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks in advance for any help!

Stixsworld
07-11-2010, 07:09 AM
If you are using the Steam version of the game:

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".
2. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

Are the simple install instructions provided with the latest version of OBSE too complicated for users to read and understand?

So much simpler than what is stickied here...and it works...

---Stixsmaster

antigravitycat
08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Are the simple install instructions provided with the latest version of OBSE too complicated for users to read and understand?

So much simpler than what is stickied here...and it works...

---Stixsmaster

it doesn't seem to work for me since last steam update (yesterday?). can anyone confirm that or did just I mess something up so that OBSE doesn't load along with OB anymore?

kynalvarus
03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
This information is out of date. Recent versions of OBSE, 19 and later, do not require a separate obse_loader.exe. They load via obse_steam_loader.dll. Follow the directions in the OBSE readme and just run the game through Steam, and it will work fine.

fluffypuppy55
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
The steam community doesnt work in Oblivion so obse wont work :/

its not obse thats busted. obse will work when the steam community works in oblivion properly.. yes its checked to allow it. so my problem im having is whats causing alot of peoples problems. how do we workaround this issue now?

trojanrabbit.gg
05-12-2011, 08:30 PM
I still cannot get this thing to work. I had it working on a retail copy I purchased a long time ago, but I have been having a complete nightmare trying to figure out what is causing the darn thing not to work.

The misc item in the inventory does absolutely nothing for me, and niether does the shaderlist.txt. I have reinstalled Oblivion, the OBSE, and the OBGE several times with various configurations, but no matter what, none of the shaders are activating in game.

damaged
05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
I still cannot get this thing to work. I had it working on a retail copy I purchased a long time ago, but I have been having a complete nightmare trying to figure out what is causing the darn thing not to work.

The misc item in the inventory does absolutely nothing for me, and niether does the shaderlist.txt. I have reinstalled Oblivion, the OBSE, and the OBGE several times with various configurations, but no matter what, none of the shaders are activating in game.

Did you do an archive invalidation and all that?

trojanrabbit.gg
05-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Did you do an archive invalidation and all that?

A what? :confused: Could you explain what that is please? :)

damaged
05-12-2011, 08:49 PM
A what? :confused: Could you explain what that is please? :)

When you replace textures, LOD, etc, sometimes you have to tell the game to ignore the in game assets, this is done with invalidation tool in OBMM.

More info: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Oblivion_Mods_FAQ#Archive_Invalidation

trojanrabbit.gg
05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
When you replace textures, LOD, etc, sometimes you have to tell the game to ignore the in game assets, this is done with invalidation tool in OBMM.

More info: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Oblivion_Mods_FAQ#Archive_Invalidation

Still no luck with any of that... :(

damaged
05-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Still no luck with any of that... :(

If you give me a run down of what you're installing/replacing and in what order, I can go over it tomorrow and try and work it out.

Also include info like whether or not the OBSE boot up, what other tools you have installed, wrye, boss, etc.

If you take me up on the offer, have a virgin oblivion folder ready. Backup the steam Oblivion folder you have now, and the saves. It's usually best to start and work in a certain order, so starting fresh is best.

trojanrabbit.gg
05-12-2011, 09:37 PM
If you give me a run down of what you're installing/replacing and in what order, I can go over it tomorrow and try and work it out.

Also include info like whether or not the OBSE boot up, what other tools you have installed, wrye, boss, etc.

If you take me up on the offer, have a virgin oblivion folder ready. backup the folder you have now, and the saves.

Actually, at the moment, the only two things I have that differ from the Vanilla Oblivion are the Oblivion Script Extender, and the Oblivion Graphics Extender. I don't have any other mods installed right now. The only thing I am trying to do with the OBSE is to get the OBGE running properly. My issue is that I cannot load any of the shaders in the OBGE. I have tried activating them through the shaderlist.txt, and through the .esp plugin. Nothing seems to work for those. I have no clue what possibly could be causing these not to work. OBSE boots up into my game like normal, but since none of my shaders are toggling on, I don't know if the issue is with OBSE not doing something its supposed to be doing, or whether something is going wrong with the OBGE files.

Thanks for you help so far...

damaged
05-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Actually, at the moment, the only two things I have that differ from the Vanilla Oblivion are the Oblivion Script Extender, and the Oblivion Graphics Extender. I don't have any other mods installed right now. The only thing I am trying to do with the OBSE is to get the OBGE running properly. My issue is that I cannot load any of the shaders in the OBGE. I have tried activating them through the shaderlist.txt, and through the .esp plugin. Nothing seems to work for those. I have no clue what possibly could be causing these not to work. OBSE boots up into my game like normal, but since none of my shaders are toggling on, I don't know if the issue is with OBSE not doing something its supposed to be doing, or whether something is going wrong with the OBGE files.

Thanks for you help so far...

It's late here, but tomorrow I will try and get both OBSE and OBGE going at once, I myself use OBSE just fine, but right now I don't use the OBGE plugin in my current setup (never tried with the Steam Oblivion for that matter), but I always keep a vanilla Oblivion folder around and I don't mind trying, and if I manage to get it working, I'll be able to tell you how I did it.

damaged
05-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Hey trojan, I was starting to work with obge and saw this:

The files in the "Extras" folder are:

d3dx9_31.dll - If you are using the legacy compiler and your game crashes, move this to your Oblivion game folder.
d3dx9_41.dll - If when you launch Oblivion, the shaders you have applied have no visible effect, and your OBGEv2.log reports that this file is missing, move it to your Oblivion game folder.
textures and shaders folders - These contain some example shaders that can be useful in testing that OBGEv2 works and are also useful examples for writing shaders. You don't need to install them to use OBGEv2.

Did you try that? I am going to install the obge on my current install, since for some reason when i try to install obse on a vanilla, it doesn't work anymore, it may be that IO need to delete the gcfs and rebuild them.

EDIT: Ok, installed it and it seems to be working, your issue might be that you need COBL installed to configure it as I do (after you install the shaders package), it's supposed to be optional, but I think that that means the whole functionality if optional, so I'd advice you to get COBL installed.

I'd start with vanilla, get OBSE working, then install COBL, then the OBGEv2_Core-30054-4, then the OBGEv2_Shaders-30054-4-2, enable it in Launcher and start a new game.

trojanrabbit.gg
05-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Hey trojan, I was starting to work with obge and saw this:

Did you try that? I am going to install the obge on my current install, since for some reason when i try to install obse on a vanilla, it doesn't work anymore, it may be that IO need to delete the gcfs and rebuild them.

EDIT: Ok, installed it and it seems to be working, your issue might be that you need COBL installed to configure it as I do (after you install the shaders package), it's supposed to be optional, but I think that that means the whole functionality if optional, so I'd advice you to get COBL installed.

I'd start with vanilla, get OBSE working, then install COBL, then the OBGEv2_Core-30054-4, then the OBGEv2_Shaders-30054-4-2, enable it in Launcher and start a new game.

Alright... I'm re-downloading the vanilla from Steam now... I'll try out your advice and post my results...

damaged
05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Alright... I'm re-downloading the vanilla from Steam now... I'll try out your advice and post my results...

Make a copy of that vanilla, so you have that copy just in case.

trojanrabbit.gg
05-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Still no luck with any of that. I try clicking to toggle the shaders on, and nothing happens. :(

If it is any help, here is the data from my OBGEv2.log

Ingnoring message.
Ingnoring message.
Pre Hook
RESZ format supported.
Depth buffer texture (INTZ) (1680,1050) created OK.
Depth buffer attached OK. 0
Starting a new game.
Creating vertex buffers.
Creating shader textures.
Width = 1680, Height = 1050
Setting shader surfaces.
Setting depth texture.
ShaderList has been disabled by the INI file.
Added to list OK.
Shader (NormalFilterAA.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\NormalFilterAA.fx)
Setting effects screen texture.
Shader (SSII.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\SSII.fx)
Shader (HBAO.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\HBAO.fx)
Shader (ssao_perf.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\ssao_perf.fx)
Shader (ssao_test.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\ssao_test.fx)
Found filename : ssao\RandomNoiseB.dds
Loading texture (data\textures\ssao\RandomNoiseB.dds)
Shader (Ring_SSAO.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\Ring_SSAO.fx)
Shader (Volumetric_SSAO.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\Volumetric_SSAO.fx)
Shader (DepthOfField.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\DepthOfField.fx)
Shader (CrysisDoF.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\CrysisDoF.fx)
Shader (Bokeh_Circle_DoF.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\Bokeh_Circle_DoF.fx)
Shader (Bokeh_Hexagon_DoF.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\Bokeh_Hexagon_DoF.fx)
Shader (Pseudo_Bokeh_DoF.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\Pseudo_Bokeh_DoF.fx)
Shader (Godrays.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\Godrays.fx)
Shader (CelShader+EdgeAA.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\CelShader+EdgeAA.fx)
Shader (ColorEffects.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\ColorEffects.fx)
Shader (ColorMood.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\ColorMood.fx)
Shader (ENBColorEffect.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\ENBColorEffect.fx)
Shader (HLSLbleachbypass.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\HLSLbleachbypass.fx)
Shader (HLSLColorGrading02.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\HLSLColorGrading02.fx)
Shader (HLSLvignette.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\HLSLvignette.fx)
Shader (obsharpen.fx) - Script refID = 6000800
Loading shader (data\shaders\obsharpen.fx)
Alt Render target - width = 256, height = 256
Received save game message.
Ingnoring message.
Saving a game.
Calling TextureManager::SaveGame
ShaderManager::SaveGame
Shader index = 21
Shader NormalFilterAA.fx has 9 parameters.
Found float: name - filterStrength, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - filterSpread, size - 1, data[0] - 3.000000
Found float: name - rcpres, size - 1, data[0] - 0.000595
Found float: name - m44proj, size - 1, data[0] - 0.000000
Found texture: name - thisframe - not in texture list.
Found texture: name - Depth - not in texture list.
Shader SSII.fx has 12 parameters.
Found float: name - scale, size - 1, data[0] - 2.000000
Found float: name - IIRadiusMultiplier, size - 1, data[0] - 10.000000
Found float: name - IIStrengthMultiplier, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - FOV, size - 1, data[0] - 75.000000
Found texture: name - lastpass - not in texture list.
Shader HBAO.fx has 15 parameters.
Found float: name - scale, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - aoRadiusMultiplier, size - 1, data[0] - 5.000000
Found float: name - aoStrengthMultiplier, size - 1, data[0] - 2.000000
Found float: name - aoClamp, size - 1, data[0] - 0.400000
Found float: name - Attenuation_Factor, size - 1, data[0] - 0.010000
Found float: name - luminosity_threshold, size - 1, data[0] - 0.300000
Shader ssao_perf.fx has 16 parameters.
Found float: name - FalloffStart, size - 1, data[0] - 0.750000
Found float: name - FalloffEnd, size - 1, data[0] - 0.850000
Found int: name - ssao_sample_size, size - 1, data[0] - 1
Found float: name - ssao_sampling_area, size - 1, data[0] - 9.200000
Found float: name - ssao_sampling_scaler, size - 1, data[0] - 0.350000
Found float: name - DarkenAO_Intensity, size - 1, data[0] - 3.000000
Found float: name - DarkenAO_Threshold, size - 1, data[0] - 0.700000
Found float: name - Blur_DropThreshhold, size - 1, data[0] - 0.001500
Shader ssao_test.fx has 17 parameters.
Found float: name - FalloffStart, size - 1, data[0] - 0.750000
Found float: name - FalloffEnd, size - 1, data[0] - 0.850000
Found int: name - ssao_sample_size, size - 1, data[0] - 4
Found float: name - ssao_sampling_area, size - 1, data[0] - 1.700000
Found float: name - DarkenAO_Intensity, size - 1, data[0] - 3.000000
Found float: name - DarkenAO_Threshold, size - 1, data[0] - 0.700000
Found float: name - Blur_DropThreshhold, size - 1, data[0] - 0.002000
Found texture: name - NoiseText - not in texture list.
Shader Ring_SSAO.fx has 19 parameters.
Found float: name - aoRadiusMultiplier, size - 1, data[0] - 4.000000
Found float: name - aoStrengthMultiplier, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - aoCap, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - aoClamp, size - 1, data[0] - 0.300000
Found float: name - angleBias, size - 1, data[0] - 20.000000
Found float: name - aorange, size - 1, data[0] - 150.000000
Found float: name - Blur_DropThreshhold, size - 1, data[0] - 20.000000
Found float: name - Blur_RadiusMultiplier, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Shader Volumetric_SSAO.fx has 15 parameters.
Found float: name - scale, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - aoRadiusMultiplier, size - 1, data[0] - 2.000000
Found float: name - aoStrengthMultiplier, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - aoClamp, size - 1, data[0] - 0.500000
Found float: name - ThicknessModel, size - 1, data[0] - 100.000000
Shader DepthOfField.fx has 12 parameters.
Found float: name - DoFAmount, size - 1, data[0] - 7.000000
Found float: name - FullFocusRange, size - 1, data[0] - 0.100000
Found float: name - NoFocusRange, size - 1, data[0] - 0.400000
Found float: name - f4Time, size - 1, data[0] - 0.000000
Shader CrysisDoF.fx has 16 parameters.
Found float: name - NearBlurDepth, size - 1, data[0] - 0.400000
Found float: name - FarBlurDepth, size - 1, data[0] - 0.400000
Found float: name - MaxBlurCutoff, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - dofMinThreshold, size - 1, data[0] - 0.200000
Found float: name - ApertureDiameter, size - 1, data[0] - 3.000000
Found float: name - poisson, size - 8, data[0] - 0.000000
Shader Bokeh_Circle_DoF.fx has 16 parameters.
Found float: name - fr, size - 1, data[0] - 60.000000
Found float: name - fp, size - 1, data[0] - 60.000000
Found float: name - fpa, size - 1, data[0] - 10.000000
Found float: name - base_blur_radius, size - 1, data[0] - 1.500000
Found float: name - R, size - 1, data[0] - 16.000000
Found float: name - weaponblur_cutoff, size - 1, data[0] - 0.800000
Shader Bokeh_Hexagon_DoF.fx has 16 parameters.
Found float: name - base_blur_radius, size - 1, data[0] - 1.500000
Found float: name - R, size - 1, data[0] - 16.000000
Shader Pseudo_Bokeh_DoF.fx has 21 parameters.
Found float: name - dmax, size - 1, data[0] - 0.009000
Found float: name - base_blur_radius, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - blur_falloff, size - 1, data[0] - 2.000000
Found float: name - R, size - 1, data[0] - 8.000000
Found float: name - distantblur_startrange, size - 1, data[0] - 250.000000
Found float: name - distantblur_endrange, size - 1, data[0] - 1000.000000
Found float: name - distantblur_pow, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Shader Godrays.fx has 34 parameters.
Found float: name - globalmul, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - morningshaftex, size - 1, data[0] - 2.300000
Found float: name - eveningshaftex, size - 1, data[0] - 3.500000
Found float: name - goldendecay, size - 1, data[0] - 0.990000
Found float: name - noonshaftex, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - noondecay, size - 1, data[0] - 0.990000
Found float: name - moonshaftex, size - 1, data[0] - 0.090000
Found float: name - moondecay, size - 1, data[0] - 0.880000
Found float: name - showraypass, size - 1, data[0] - 0.000000
Found float: name - startsunrise, size - 1, data[0] - 4.000000
Found float: name - endsunrise, size - 1, data[0] - 10.000000
Found float: name - startevening, size - 1, data[0] - 17.000000
Found float: name - endevening, size - 1, data[0] - 21.000000
Found float: name - Density, size - 1, data[0] - 0.700000
Found float: name - Weight, size - 1, data[0] - 0.700000
Found float: name - goldensaturate, size - 1, data[0] - 0.540000
Found float: name - noonsaturate, size - 1, data[0] - 0.010000
Found float: name - Luminance, size - 1, data[0] - 0.440000
Found float: name - fMiddleGray, size - 1, data[0] - 0.990000
Found float: name - fWhiteCutoff, size - 1, data[0] - 0.400000
Found float: name - m44view, size - 1, data[0] - 0.000000
Found float: name - f3EyeForward, size - 1, data[0] - 0.000000
Found float: name - f4SunDir, size - 1, data[0] - 0.000000
Found float: name - t, size - 1, data[0] - 0.767327
Shader CelShader+EdgeAA.fx has 16 parameters.
Found float: name - rcpres, size - 2, data[0] - 0.000595
Found float: name - edgeStrength, size - 1, data[0] - 10.000000
Found float: name - edgeAABlurAmt, size - 1, data[0] - 0.040000
Found float: name - blurCoordWG, size - 8, data[0] - -2.000000
Found float: name - blurMagnitudeWG, size - 8, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - blurCoord, size - 12, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - blurMagnitude, size - 12, data[0] - 1.000000
Shader ColorEffects.fx has 16 parameters.
Found float: name - Saturation, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - Brightness, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - Contrast, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - GContrast, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - GBrightness, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - FGIntensity, size - 1, data[0] - 0.000000
Found float: name - BHMagnitude, size - 1, data[0] - 10.000000
Found float: name - BHBrightness, size - 1, data[0] - 4.000000
Found float: name - greyscale, size - 1, data[0] - 0.299000
Shader ColorMood.fx has 6 parameters.
Found float: name - fRatio, size - 1, data[0] - 1.000000
Found float: name - moodR, size - 1, data[0] - 0.400000
Found float: name - moodG, size - 1, data[0] - 0.270000
Found float: name - moodB, size - 1, data[0] - 0.330000
Shader ENBColorEffect.fx has 9 parameters.
Found float: name - OffsetMult, size - 1, data[0] - 0.700000
Found float: name - BrightnessMult, size - 1, data[0] - 1.120000
Found float: name - BrightnessPow, size - 1, data[0] - 0.660000
Found float: name - tempF9, size - 1, data[0] - 0.760800
Found float: name - tempF0, size - 1, data[0] - 0.096000
Found float: name - offset, size - 8, data[0] - -1.000000
Shader HLSLbleachbypass.fx has 3 parameters.
Found float: name - Opacity, size - 1, data[0] - 0.370000
Shader HLSLColorGrading02.fx has 11 parameters.
Found float: name - saturatex, size - 1, data[0] - 0.650000
Found float: name - opacity, size - 1, data[0] - 0.800000
Found texture: name - lastframe - not in texture list.
Found float: name - weights, size - 1, data[0] - 0.125000
Shader HLSLvignette.fx has 4 parameters.
Found float: name - radius, size - 1, data[0] - 4.000000
Found float: name - darkness, size - 1, data[0] - 0.550000
Shader obsharpen.fx has 3 parameters.
Found float: name - sharpval, size - 1, data[0] - 8.000000
Alt Render target - width = 1680, height = 1050
Alt Render target - width = 1680, height = 1050
Received ExitGame message.
Calling Release Device
Releasing thisframe surface.
Releasing thisframe texture.
Releasing lastpass surface.
Releasing lastpass texture.
Releasing lastframe surface.
Releasing lastframe texture.
Releasing shader vertex buffer.

damaged
05-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Did you go in game and go into your inventory click the Options item and look for the OBGE entry?

trojanrabbit.gg
05-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Did you go in game and go into your inventory click the Options item and look for the OBGE entry?

Yes, its there. That is what I first tried to use to toggle the shaders on. I have also tried enabling the shaders through the shaderlist.txt, but nothing happens.

damaged
05-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Yes, its there. That is what I first tried to use to toggle the shaders on. I have also tried enabling the shaders through the shaderlist.txt, but nothing happens.

Paste your shaderlist.txt file, also when you did the vanilla did you move the My Games\Oblivion folder to make sure a new one was generated?

trojanrabbit.gg
05-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Alright... I finally got it all working! :D I reverted back to the Vanilla version a third time, and ran through all of your steps again. I'm not sure which one did the trick, but it works now... so that is fantastic.

Thanks once again for your help, not many forum members around here would do this much troubleshooting for a stranger. :) I only wish I could rep you more...

-trojanrabbit.gg-

damaged
05-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Alright... I finally got it all working! :D I reverted back to the Vanilla version a third time, and ran through all of your steps again. I'm not sure which one did the trick, but it works now... so that is fantastic.

Thanks once again for your help, not many forum members around here would do this much troubleshooting for a stranger. :) I only wish I could rep you more...

-trojanrabbit.gg-

Kick ♥♥♥, glad it's working for you now. :)

PepsiAddict
05-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Hmm So I just recently got the Steam version of the game, I had a retail version but wanted all the add-ons etc etc and was easier just to rebuy the game of the year edition on steam. Regardless though Im using OBMM and OBSE. I can get the game to start just fine, but mods that require OBSE 19+ say I don't have it installed. I've tried the obse_steamloader.dll and a random fix I found that used obse_loader.exe and neither seem to do the trick. The mods Im using that require it are Deadly Reflex 6 (and the thigns required to run that) and Supreme Magicka. All other mods work fine, just the ones requiring OBSE say I dont have it installed...when I think i do anyway.

--edit--
Never mind apparently I just had to restart steam X.X

lol? HAMMERTIME
05-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Doesn't work for OBSE v20.

damaged
05-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Doesn't work for OBSE v20.

Valve does not make OBSE, you will have to contact the authors of OBSE.

rgrayhek
06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Question what does the script handler look like is it something i should see when oblivion starts up. Never used it before and just bought Game of the year Edition on steam.

rgrayhek
06-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Doesn't work for OBSE v20 ............ Is this true because i put the files in oblivon folder maybe my above post prev anwsers my question.

ProudTiger
06-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Since I've installed a new graphics card GTX 570, OBSE has stopped working.

The game looks pretty good without it anyway.

In the console I'm getting errors in script.
0b000800

Was working fine with my 9800gt.

broken85
06-25-2011, 09:49 PM
That's because OBSE doesn't change the way the game looks--but it enables a lot of other mods that do :)

ProudTiger
06-25-2011, 09:52 PM
That's because OBSE doesn't change the way the game looks--but it enables a lot of other mods that do :)

Hmm maybe it is obge then?

When I had the 9800ft in ,it looked different but maybe that's just the card?

LOL.

Are OBSE and OBGE one and the same?

How do I reset it so it will work on the new card?

broken85
06-25-2011, 09:55 PM
OBGE is a plugin for OBSE that adds the ability to add new graphical filters and screen effects... it sounds like that it's what you were referring to.

Do you get any errors or console messages indicating there's a problem, or confirming whether or not OBSE is working?

If OBSE stopped working, that would cause OBGE and any other OBSE plugins to stop working.

ProudTiger
06-25-2011, 09:59 PM
OBGE is a plugin for OBSE that adds the ability to add new graphical filters and screen effects... it sounds like that it's what you were referring to.

Do you get any errors or console messages indicating there's a problem, or confirming whether or not OBSE is working?

If OBSE stopped working, that would cause OBGE and any other OBSE plugins to stop working.

This error.

In the console I'm getting errors in script.
offset 0x16d2 and this
0b000800

Yeah,I'm not getting the shaders like I used too.

Just changed my card that's all now it's not working.

ProudTiger
06-25-2011, 10:28 PM
This is the exact message in the console.

Error in script 0b000800
Operator [ failed to evaluate to a valid result
File:Oblivion Graphics Extender Support.esp Offset 0x16d2
Command:Let

ProudTiger
06-26-2011, 12:24 AM
That means OBSE is working but OBGE is not.
Hmmm.

ProudTiger
06-26-2011, 12:50 AM
OBGE data plugin is broken after installing new gtx 570 video card.
Anyone else confirm?

Col. Hamilton
06-26-2011, 09:40 AM
OBGE data plugin is broken after installing new gtx 570 video card.
Anyone else confirm?

Hey, this thread might offer something.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/308196-33-received-performance-expected

I cant find one with the OBGE plugin being broken, but maybe they are related?

ProudTiger
06-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey, this thread might offer something.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/308196-33-received-performance-expected

I cant find one with the OBGE plugin being broken, but maybe they are related?

Thank you.

No real biggy as this game still looks lovely without it.

Just wondered why.

I have an old Dell 21 inch monitor and a quadcore.

Game is running smooth as silk but I have the 4gb patch and stutter fix as well.

Vapor and Blood
06-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey guys,

I decided to use the obse_steam_load.dll to automatically load the OBSE.See, it originally worked with the original load.exe, but even then it never stayed on after I hit "Play" on the launcher menu. Now, I try using the Steam Load and it doesn't even begin working!

I have Community initialized, all the original files from OBSE are still there, and I DID edit some things in the Oblivion.ini. I'm trying to get the Ring of Console to work, but like I said, Steam Loader doesn't work :(

pndrev
07-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Same here, it doesn't work with the GOTY Version. It seems that this Steam version doesn't even load the Community, hence OBSE not working. :(

broken85
07-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't have the GOTY edition as far as I know (I have the original version on Steam and all the DLC from my old boxed copy), but I've never had to do anything since OBSE 0.17b to get it working in Steam. Steam automatically picks up the obse_steam_loader.dll and loads OBSE when I launch the game through Steam.

Is the GOTY version different?

Vapor and Blood
07-14-2011, 03:22 AM
OH! I figured it's best to download the Ring of Console from from TESNexus, it gives you access to the console by equipping the ring after hot keying it to a number.

moGNog
08-05-2011, 11:31 PM
I am having issues getting OBSE to work. I have the steam version of Oblivion and I have installed all necessary files (according to the OBSE readme file) to my Oblivion root folder that contains the .exe file. I then ran Oblivion via steam per the instructions in the readme. I continued to follow, download and replace the loader file, and run the game as specified in the original instructions.

No dice.

n1ghtsn1p3r
08-06-2011, 02:01 AM
You don't need the replacement file from the OP for OBSE v0020.

Are you running any mods that actually use OBSE (Fast Exit 2.0 or the Oblivion Graphics Extender plugin (OBGE), for example)?

Also, do you have Steam Community In-Game enabled?

It should say something in the console about OBSE loading (also if you use a custom UI like DarkUId DarN, there should be an icon on the lower left corner where you can mouseover and it shows the version of both Oblivion and OBSE)

moGNog
08-06-2011, 09:49 AM
The Steam In-Game Community is enabled.

The only mod that I am trying to run so far is the DarkUId DarN. I also installed OBMM hoping that would fix it but so far I am having no luck. I installed everything to the root folder where my .exe is located.

So all I should need to do is drag/drop the OBSE v0020 into that root folder and run it through steam with my mods installed?

moGNog
08-06-2011, 10:46 AM
This is how my directory looks with obse installed. I may have installed my mod incorrectly but I am unsure. I copied my save files and decided to reinstall oblivion (since it only takes me 15-20 minutes) to get a fresh install directory. It was probably not necessary, but it will help me to start fresh since it's such a simple process.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/AmericanErrorst/SSs/obse.jpg

n1ghtsn1p3r
08-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Looks fine to me

Here's mine for comparison. I used Jason's Ridiculous Oblivion Mod Pack batch scripts to install mine (I'm working on updating JMROMP to v19, since he decided to stop maintaining it, with permission of course ;)).

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/325/oblivionmainfolder.png

Also check your folder where your saves are

Vista/7
C:\Users\<Windows user name>\Documents\My Games\oblivion\Saves

Each save file should have an .ess and an .obse file associated with it.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3594/oblivionsavefilesobse.png

moGNog
08-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Fresh Install >> OBSE files dragged/dropped into root directory >> UI files dropped into the data folder from the root directory >> Game has been run and still no luck.

Hmm, i'm probably just doing this incorrectly and I apologize for whatever it is i'm doing wrong. Thanks for your help.

UPDATE:
I did manage to get the new UI to work because I activated the .omod file that it also downloaded and activated it in OBMM. I did not get it to work by manually dragging/dropping it into the root folders. Are most mods available as .omod that I can activate via OBMM?

n1ghtsn1p3r
08-07-2011, 12:42 AM
No problem.

Some mods come as pre-made OMODs, some are manual only, and some come in OMOD-ready and/or BAIN-ready formats. The BAIN-ready ones require Wrye Bash

If the mod archive has a folder in it called "omod conversion data", don't unpack it. Just open OBMM, click Create, click "Add Archive", then click "Create omod", then do the activation process as you normally would with a pre-made OMOD.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8023/oblivionmodarchivecompa.png

On the left is manual only, middle is BAIN-ready (can also be installed manually by extracting the contents of each folder into the Data folder), and the last one is BAIN- and OMOD-ready (the folder prefixes indicate that you can choose which only one of the same-prefixed files you want, like "01 Borderless Icons", and can also be done manually)

Eternal The Fox
08-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I installed v.20, and I ended up taking out the obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll. I launch the game, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? :/

n1ghtsn1p3r
08-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I installed v.20, and I ended up taking out the obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll. I launch the game, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? :/
you removed them from your Oblivion folder (the same one that oblivion.exe is in)?

Are you using any mods that use OBSE and do you have the Steam community in game enabled?

You do not need to use the link in the OP, since OBSE already has steam support (it uses the overlay to hook into the game).

Eternal The Fox
08-10-2011, 12:00 PM
you removed them from your Oblivion folder (the same one that oblivion.exe is in)?

Are you using any mods that use OBSE and do you have the Steam community in game enabled?

You do not need to use the link in the OP, since OBSE already has steam support (it uses the overlay to hook into the game).
You mean the OBSE folder? Yeah I removed the OBSE folder, but I have the obse_1_2_416.dll in there along with obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll. Yes, I have Steam community enabled, also I don't know if they're using OBSE. I just get them from the Oblivion Nexus site.

skwareballz
08-17-2011, 03:59 PM
I seem to be having the same problem as most that OBSE will not load, even with Steam community enabled.

One thing that I also have had a problem with is accessing the console, and after looking in Oblivion.ini in MyGames/Oblivion there was no bAllowConsole line which I believe is supposed to be under the [General] heading. Maybe that has something to do with OBSE not being able to load, I'm still pretty new to TES games and modding all together so most of this stuff is a lot of trial and error.

Draetor24
08-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Someone needs to change the first post in this sticky thread with the new version of OBSE installation for Steam. It's a lot simpler now, and requires different steps.

Many users are having issues probably due to improper installation, which really only requires copying 3 files into a directory aka basic windows skills.

sunnyb0y
09-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Can't seem to get it to work. Starting game with obse causes serious shuttering of water / shadows. I tried installing OBGE and adding some shaders - Oblivion starts alright, but after a few seconds shaders disappear. I take it, OBSE just stops working at this point. Any suggestions?

Predicate
09-25-2011, 07:25 AM
My save files are strictly ESS...

Rehykja
10-15-2011, 06:25 PM
No problems getting OBSE myself. Just downloaded the latest version (0020 found here (http://obse.silverlock.org/download/obse_0020.zip)), installed the files in my Oblivion directory and started the game through Steam.

Itison
12-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Someone needs to change the first post in this sticky thread with the new version of OBSE installation for Steam. It's a lot simpler now, and requires different steps.

Many users are having issues probably due to improper installation, which really only requires copying 3 files into a directory aka basic windows skills.

Yes, the original post should be updated. However, I think it's pretty apparent that people are still having other issues, and it's a little insulting to simply assume that so many people are lacking such "basic windows skills" when these problems are rarely so black and white. In addition to this one, there are several other topics on other forums about this issue. When I downloaded OBSE I read the readme and followed the instructions (which say to copy the dll's into the oblivion directory), but it still wouldn't work.

In my case, the Steam overlay just doesn't seem to work with Oblivion (yes, I checked "Enable Steam Community In-Game"). I also can't take screenshots in Oblivion through Steam, which I'm guessing is probably caused by the same thing. I've tried changing my Steam shortcut keys, but this didn't help. I've tried rebooting, and it seems others have even tried reinstalling without being able to resolve the issue. I may very well end up reinstalling.

I'd be interested in seeing more details (OS and version of Oblivion) from everyone, whether or not you're having the problem. Perhaps it can be related to video drivers as well, as some have indicated that it stopped working after changing video cards. It may be helpful to note what video card you changed to, and what one you had before, as well as what version of drivers you were using before and after. Personally, I'm running:
Windows 7 64-bit
GeForce GTX 460
Graphics Driver version 285.62

Running GOTY Deluxe Edition

Kilkakon
02-14-2012, 01:51 AM
Is there any way for a Steam version to run without the Steam overlay? I really don't like using the thing as it loves to popup in the middle of a game.

Vincennes
02-15-2012, 08:15 PM
In your steam library right click on oblivion and select properties, then in the general section uncheck 'enable steam community in game'.

To disable overlay for everything go to the top left hand corner and click on 'steam', go to the In-game tab on the window that popped up and uncheck 'enable steam community in game'.

Kilkakon
02-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Thank you for your reply!

My desire is to use OBSE, but not use the Steam overlay. Your method makes OBSE not work.