PDA

View Full Version : To decrease load times, turn off precaching and change game cache size

Stixsworld
06-25-2009, 06:35 AM
1) Find your killingfloor.ini file located in the steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/system folder (hint it looks like a notpad icon with a cog)
2) Change the cache size to better match your ram size
Listed under [Engine.GameEngine].

256 Megabytes of RAM or less
CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=128

1 Gigabyte of RAM or more
CacheSizeMegs=256

EDIT BY Zetsumei: NEVER make CacheSizeMegs bigger than 256mb unless you like crashes!

Fix2: Turn of PreCaching
Also in your killingfloor.ini under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
Change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False
and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
Change bNeverPrecache=false to bNeverPrecache=true
and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
Change UsePrecaching=True to UsePrecaching=False
and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]

---Stixsmaster

Tobi
06-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Trying it out now, and I stress to anyone about to make these changes, please make a backup of your KillingFloor.ini incase you mess it up.

EDIT: Tried it on 3 servers, first on the server every time, everyone else was at least 3-4 seconds behind. So yeah it is faster.

Stixsworld
06-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I originally had like literally to play the game on low custom quality with DX8 not DX9 and still was getting like 20 second long load times...and well I have enough specs that I should by default have been able to play High quality with DX9 not DX8...and well yea...

After I made these changes I can now play on High quality with DX9 not DX8 and it takes me like 2 seconds to load a map...

---Stixsmaster

NaD1
06-25-2009, 10:33 AM
I have tried it also, it loads very fast you will get in the server before the other players.

Saffire123
06-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Tis is nice :)

Raiser
06-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm very noob to caching, but what does it do exactly? And what does turning off precaching actually do?

Yoshiro
06-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Pulls things into memory before the map loads. Turning it off means it will load things as your computer needs them once in map (you might see stuttering)

Suomis
09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Bump to avoid being purged.

turtlesoup
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
just a warning, this fix is only good for fast computers imo, if you still have a single core you might be better off leaving precaching on. sure you will have to wait longer to start a new map, but the in-game stutters could be life threatening if you can't load the sections up fast enough on the fly. I'm only saying this after playing on both single core pentium and core2 dualies, on the better rig it's fine but the stuttering is massive on the p4 when you do it this way. with precaching on it's reduced dramatically, hence the default setting.

avp2501
09-09-2009, 03:24 AM
i know you say not to go over the 256 (1gb RAM) but what if you have 10GB RAM and your system only uses up a 1gb - i got a full 9GB free to use.

Nevermind been trying this and didn't see a difference.

on small maps like ganja farm i get 120fps with caching on or off
on massive maps i get 60fps with caching on or off, however with it off i did experience major stuttering.

I Found it best to leave it off since it made no difference to load times but did cause stuttering.

sper09
09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
You mean to leave it on, right? I haven't noticed much stuttering either way with a q6600.

Killthas
06-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Still in Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, and Darkest Hour my load times have not changed. Its takes a ridiculous long time to load I turned off Precache and changed my Mermory to 256.

My system specs
4gb of RAM
2x Nvida 9800
700 Watt power supply.

trilance
06-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Works well for me, and I actually have it set to 500 without issues.