PDA

View Full Version : Final bug (may contain spoilers)

osric90
06-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi,

I've encountered this bug that's really getting me crazy. I kind of killer the last giant monster in the bubble and now I have to escape the place before it colapses.

I run and run... Jump that kind of cracked bridge, get to the area where those guys were having a chat in the bonfire and then I have to get into the ONLY OPEN WAY TO GET OUT, but everytime I reach that place -it's an open cave- the ground shakes and I die.

I looked around for this and it seems that it's a bug. I run as fast as I can -well, the character can...- and not matter what I do, I die at the same spot everytime, I never get closer. There's supposed to be an altar where I have to use the red charm after that but I can't get to the end without dying.

You may say that I do it faster, but trust me... The character doesn't run any faster; I never stop for even a fraction of second... Don't know... Is there a way to get this "timing-buh" fixed?

PD: I've already tried changing the game's resolution, antialiasing, etc...

fountainoftruth
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
When you get to the area where you die (I died there more times than I could count), stick to the left wall. I honestly have no idea if this will help you or not, but I saw a walkthrough video where the guy stuck to the wall and made it. Then, the next time I tried, I stuck to the left wall and made it. Could be coincidence, but worth a shot.

Also, if you have a dual-core machine, set affinity to one CPU.

I found 720x480 was the best speed resolution for me (not the lowest resolution possible).

Good luck. Not sure if this stuff will help, but this is what I changed the time I actually made it. I beat this last night and was about ready to just give up out of frustration.

osric90
07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi fountainoftruth. First of all, thanks for your reply!

Well, I tried that wall stuff (stick to the left wall in that corridor) when I just opened the game and it worked, but I died because I got lost into darkness. I clicked continue and it didn't work anymore. I got out to the menu and clicked "load game" and tried again and it didn't work either.

The solution to this is to get out of the game completely. Re launch the game and load again, stick to the left wall in the infamous corridor and done!

Thanks a lot fountainoftruth! I couldn't have finished this game if it wasn't for your help.

ElfShotTheFood
12-17-2009, 10:46 AM
If your health isn't at 100% you won't make it through that sequence, because injuries slow your movement speed down.

I had to use a trainer and enable a speed cheat to get through that part. ;)

PeeWee1477
02-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I remember playing this game a while ago and making this last run many, many times without any success. After a while I turned to the internet for some answers:

Since this was two years ago or more I really cannot remember where I found this info, but basically the last bit is glitched. The reason it only glitches for some people is because the cave-in is a binary yes/no based on whether or not you made the run in time which in turn is based on CPU clock speed and FPS...where any programmer knows that it should be based on actual time passed. Basically, the programmer probably made an error where a time unit is counted every time a frame is rendered on screen. So the faster a user's PC is the less time they have to make the run. If you're running a decent system it's impossible to make this run especially if you're getting somewhere in the range of a constant 50-60 fps.

I remember finding a utility that allowed you to change the timing on this last bit so that it could be passed without having to play it on a crappier computer. Try looking for that. I can't remember at all what it was called or if it's still available.

92Hotel
02-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I enjoyed this game but that glitch kept me from seeing the ending, which was very disappointing. I did find some information about it by searching, but never got any really useful information, I wish I'd at least have known about the "left wall" thing so I could have tried it.

It seems to me like it would be very helpful to have a valid game save posted somewhere to allow us to at least see the end of the game, even if it means missing a short piece of the actual game play.

Blan21
08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about, i went through without the use of trainers or anything. I beat it after around 10 tries, just learn from experience where death points are, and move around them/jump over them/wait for them to set off, then jump.

92Hotel
08-12-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about, i went through without the use of trainers or anything. I beat it after around 10 tries, just learn from experience where death points are, and move around them/jump over them/wait for them to set off, then jump.

I played this a long time ago, so I can't claim that the game is in the same state as the current offering, but it is not a game play feature that we're talking about, but as PeeWee1477 mentions, an outright bug, as you can read about in the original GameSpot review and many other places, for those interested to google it.

If you were not impacted by it, that's great for you.

leju
08-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Ok, I can't get behind that either. I tried everything. Is it ok that Valve sells a game that does not work? Ok it was cheap, but I want to play it to the end. :mad:

Njord19
11-09-2010, 12:20 AM
I downloaded a patch which made me walk faster which is great and actually helped me a lot. Its not cheating but more helped me finish the game because i kept dying on that same part.

Chris_TC
01-21-2011, 08:46 AM
So the faster a user's PC is the less time they have to make the run. If you're running a decent system it's impossible to make this run especially if you're getting somewhere in the range of a constant 50-60 fps.
This is not true at all.
I played the game in 1920x1200 (high resolutions are supposedly bad), and it averaged about 100fps during the end sequence.

Now yes, my running speed was SLOW, and by slow I mean GLACIAL. I compared my own run to a Youtube video, and my character moved way more slowly. At least 30% slower. I still made it through the sequence, but I had to try a few times.

Here are some tips on how to make it:
1) Right after the torpedo hits, start turning to the right. You can control your character even while the letterbox bars are still on screen.
2) Do not get hit by falling debris. It will slow you down even more, and you won't make it.
3) Know where to run. You need to move through the environment as efficiently as possible.

I just finished the Steam version of this game without using any patches or cheats on private investigator difficulty. It is possible, and it was worth every minute. Great entertainment.

ripkun
07-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Hey guys, I also had the exact same problem, I just finished the game (Steam version on Windows XP), but only after installing this patch:

http://www.tahionic.com/computers/Call%20of%20Cthulhu%20-%20Dark%20Corners%20of%20the%20Earth/game%20cheats.html#install

Among other things, the patch gives the VERY much desired increased speed that is crucial (for some players) to finish the final part... It was simply impossible for me to finish the game without the speed boost... no matter how hard I tried, the city collapsed in that damned tunnel...

fountainoftruth: Before installing the patch I tried doing this, but the problem isn't falling rocks, its simply because time runs out before you can make it... I think some player just get lucky and have enough time to run with the normal speed.

Its a damn shame Bethesda didn't give the developer enough time to flesh out such a terrible bug before releasing the game for pc.

As for the speed run, did the guy do it on a pc version of the game or the xbox version?.... im guessing the xbox version probably doesn't have as many bugs.

Well, best of luck to players that get stuck here!

Cheers!

Edit:
PS-> Even with patch the game is very unforgiving, you still have to make every second count, as when you get to the end, you still have to stop to make the chant that activates the portal before you can exit. If you fail, exit the game completely before trying again. For some reason, I found myself with less time after trying again without restarting the game.

Janet
07-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey guys, I also had the exact same problem, I just finished the game (Steam version on Windows XP), but only after installing this patch:

http://www.tahionic.com/computers/Call%20of%20Cthulhu%20-%20Dark%20Corners%20of%20the%20Earth/game%20cheats.html#install

Among other things, the patch gives the VERY much desired increased speed that is crucial (for some players) to finish the final part... It was simply impossible for me to finish the game without the speed boost... no matter how hard I tried, the city collapsed in that damned tunnel...

fountainoftruth: Before installing the patch I tried doing this, but the problem isn't falling rocks, its simply because time runs out before you can make it... I think some player just get lucky and have enough time to run with the normal speed.

Its a damn shame Bethesda didn't give the developer enough time to flesh out such a terrible bug before releasing the game for pc.

As for the speed run, did the guy do it on a pc version of the game or the xbox version?.... im guessing the xbox version probably doesn't have as many bugs.

Well, best of luck to players that get stuck here!

Cheers!

Edit:
PS-> Even with patch the game is very unforgiving, you still have to make every second count, as when you get to the end, you still have to stop to make the chant that activates the portal before you can exit. If you fail, exit the game completely before trying again. For some reason, I found myself with less time after trying again without restarting the game.

Figured I'd support the real creator of this patch by posting this ;)

http://www.sucklead.com/DCoTEPatch.exe

The Tahionic one is by some guy who figured he'd stick his own name on it. Sucklead made the patch and it's brilliant. He's still releasing updates for it.

sucklead
10-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Looks like I can modify the script for this problem.

There are 7 checkpoints with different timings as follows:
1->22 seconds
2->25 seconds
3->20 seconds
4->20 seconds
5->20 seconds
6->20 seconds
7->35 seconds

I really want to change the game as little as possible in any patch so is it just the final checkpoint that needs tweaking and by how little would it need to be tweaked to make it possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

vgr101
10-26-2012, 04:58 AM
This is not true at all.
I played the game in 1920x1200 (high resolutions are supposedly bad), and it averaged about 100fps during the end sequence.

Now yes, my running speed was SLOW, and by slow I mean GLACIAL. I compared my own run to a Youtube video, and my character moved way more slowly. At least 30% slower. I still made it through the sequence, but I had to try a few times.

I just finished the Steam version of this game without using any patches or cheats on private investigator difficulty. It is possible, and it was worth every minute. Great entertainment.

I was having the same problem as everyone else: I kept dying just as I entered the exit cavern. I tried different resolutions, eventually going all the way down to 640480, but it didn't affect my movement speed at all.

I tried all the other suggestions I'd read (staying to the left, running on just one core, etc.), but what finally allowed me to finish was forcing vertical sync (in the nVidia control panel). I don't know why that made the difference, but it did. (I got the idea from this thread (forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33174456).)

As soon as I did that, I was able to escape, without any patching.