PDA

View Full Version : Resolution issue since patch

Killtacular
07-09-2009, 08:37 PM
I've been playing for days with no issues. Steam downloads the patch and now my game will not display when starting. I'm using Windows 7 RC and I select my display's 1920x1080 resolution from the launcher (as always), when the game starts, the display immediately tells me the signal is out of range. I can still hear the audio, and when I alt-F4 to exit, my desktop returns. I've tried with and w/o vsync, and any other rez my display supports- same thing.

Can anyone comment as to what has changed with either the selectable resolutions, or something in the way the game renders? Perhaps a refresh rate change in the update, or at least the way the refresh is handled? Again, this has worked perfectly every time before the update as recent as yesterday, demo worked as well. Nothing has changed with my system either.

Thanks for any advice.

Raiden0899
07-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Works fine for me at 1920x1200.
I'd try verifying the game cache, and if that doesn't help redownloading it.

Killtacular
07-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I appreciate the advice, however, I can get the game to function on another display at 1920x1200. Co-op around a 24" monitor just isn't as feasible as it is on a 46" screen. I'll give it a shot if all else fails (no harm in trying what you suggest) but I'm just ticked that it was working fine all along on my display until the patch, especially since there's no going back to the older version.

hiekkama
07-10-2009, 01:26 AM
There has been a change on refresh rates as we fixed a bug which was causing some other problems. On your 46" screen what would be the correct refresh rate so we could try to reproduce it?

It's possible to override the refresh rate manually. For that, you need to open steamapps/common/trine/config/options.txt and add

refresh_rate_override = 50

to "Display" section of it (and replace the 50 with wanted refresh rate). Save the file and make it read-only. This should force Trine to launch on that forced refresh rate. Does this work for you?

Killtacular
07-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Adding the refresh line to the config fixed it! Thank you so much.

refresh_rate_override = 60

This was what solved it. I'm going to wager a complete guess that it's some peculiarity with Windows 7 and the way it reads the EDID from the display when no refresh rate is forced by the user. I haven't had problems with other games, but more often than not, they give an option to specify the refresh when choosing the resolution. Just an uninformed suggestion, but perhaps adding this setting to the launcher could help?

I know W7 is still a beta OS and these sort of quirks will occur, but thank you again for taking the time to help. It's nice to see a developer that cares. Hopefully if anyone else has this issue, this post will get them through.

Oh, and Trine is an incredible game!

Abufinzio
10-26-2009, 02:11 PM
There has been a change on refresh rates as we fixed a bug which was causing some other problems. On your 46" screen what would be the correct refresh rate so we could try to reproduce it?

It's possible to override the refresh rate manually. For that, you need to open steamapps/common/trine/config/options.txt and add

to "Display" section of it (and replace the 50 with wanted refresh rate). Save the file and make it read-only. This should force Trine to launch on that forced refresh rate. Does this work for you?

my crt is reborn (i'm on seven ultimate 64bit+8800gt+philips 109b6)

MattMock
11-28-2009, 07:38 PM

I would just like to say that including a refresh rate option in the launcher would be really nice. Some people (like me) still hang on to their old CRTs and 60hz on those makes my eyes water. It seems like I end up having to search for this option (or use an overrider) on way too many games these days.

JoelFB
11-29-2009, 05:00 AM
No promises yet but yeah, we'll see if it can be added in the near future. (The technical implementation is easy but I'm not sure what kind of an option/text this should be, so we'll see.)

Lavec
07-14-2010, 06:09 AM
I had a similar issue after upgrading from a 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitor to a 32" 1920x1080 TV connected via HDMI. When selecting 1920x1080 it always display at 1080/24p rather than 1080p. Every other game selects 60Hz rather than 24Hz.

I couldn't fix this using the refresh option to force it to 50 or 60Hz but for some reason I fixed this by unchecking Fullscreen in the Advanced options dialog which still displays it in fullscreen (or seems to anyway) but correctly at 1080p (60Hz). Ticking Fullscreen again returns it to 1080/24p so I leave it unchecked.

Anyway it's something for others to try if you have an issue like mine.

Matty G
11-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I realize this is an old thread, however I've been having the same issue. Adding that line to the options.txt file doesn't seem to work, as it's overwritten as soon as my game launches. Unchecking full-screen avoids the issue, but it also produces a thin grey line to the outline of the game.

Is there any way to have the game simply read the options file without attempting to overwrite it (presumably with values from the pre-launch options)?

EDIT: I simply set the option and then made the options file read-only, so the game isn't dropping the refresh rate anymore. It's a nice workaround, though a refresh rate option in the launder would be better.

JoelFB
11-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Make the file read only after you've made the change. Right-click it, choose Properties, and check the first Attribute "read-only". That should do the trick.