PDA

View Full Version : Trine doesn't save.

NaughtyNoblesse
07-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Save games don't seem to work. After quitting the game and opening it again; I notice that the save slots still read 'empty'. Is this a read-only issue? Or am I overlooking something?

JoelFB
07-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Have you completed a level (e.g. Astral Academy)? Trine saves between levels.

If you have, then there's something else going on. It could be related to folder permissions (of profiles\ folder), or something else. Verifying game cache files and/or re-downloading the game might also help.

Let me know.

NaughtyNoblesse
07-11-2009, 03:20 PM
I played up to the Dragon Graveyard before I quit.
Upon my second playthrough, however; I actively selected a save slot. (I presumed it would simply autosave into the first available spot) After that, my games have been saving properly. Thanks for the prompt response.

I did find it a bit counterintuitive that I had to choose a save slot before it would begin saving my games, though - I simply opened the game and began playing right away.

JoelFB
07-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks, that sounds like a rather serious bug. We'll have to look into this.

Oh and I'm glad it works now. :)

lyravega
08-13-2009, 07:15 AM
I've played Trine for like an hour, then made it to Dragon Graveyard. When I relaunched the game, and hit continue, I started from the beginning. When I look at my savegame from options, it says 0/ 0/ 0/ for everything, like I've never done anything. Not "Empty", but instead just a rotten thing.

Any help appreciated. Using Vista with full admin rights (cannot be a write/read issue), NOD32 and Comodo Firewall

neuromancer
08-13-2009, 07:49 AM
I've played Trine for like an hour, then made it to Dragon Graveyard. When I relaunched the game, and hit continue, I started from the beginning. When I look at my savegame from options, it says 0/ 0/ 0/ for everything, like I've never done anything. Not "Empty", but instead just a rotten thing.

Any help appreciated. Using Vista with full admin rights (cannot be a write/read issue), NOD32 and Comodo Firewall

Did you try this?:

Upon my second playthrough, however; I actively selected a save slot. (I presumed it would simply autosave into the first available spot) After that, my games have been saving properly.

lyravega
08-13-2009, 09:24 AM
YES. Problem is not the same as I've described. Thanks anyway.

I cannot play the game in this state. Need help.

Metl
08-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I also have this same problem. I've tried reinstalling. I'm currently running windows XP 32, latest patches. I've tried playing through multiple levels and overwriting saves but it still doesn't save. An interesting part of the bug for me is that the time on the current progress says "invalid" and my character is in a "T pose" more or less, the character will move around the screen but there isn't any animation being done on it. Also when this bug occurs, if I move around a bit with my unanimated guy the return to main menu screen appears, the screen with the skull in the background with very few options. The only way for me to play this game currently is in one sitting, or just leaving it running in the background while I've alt-tabbed to the desktop. I am also logged in as an administrator. I'll keep trying different things to see if there's a work-around of some sort. Either way, I'm looking forward to a fix! :-)

Next time I mess with this I'll try to write down notes of specific things that might help the devs.

On a very different note, I am really impressed with the enemy skeleton path finding. They're pretty spry for AI.

Nathreee
08-13-2009, 12:33 PM
The game doesn't save for me either. I'm also admin, Windows xp. When I try to load the game that I supposedly saved previously, it just starts again at the very beginning, you know, with the thief. I've tried different slots, same thing both times. No other strange occurrances though.

ouvintes
08-13-2009, 01:19 PM
I also have this same problem. I've tried reinstalling. I'm currently running windows XP 32, latest patches. I've tried playing through multiple levels and overwriting saves but it still doesn't save. An interesting part of the bug for me is that the time on the current progress says "invalid" and my character is in a "T pose" more or less, the character will move around the screen but there isn't any animation being done on it. Also when this bug occurs, if I move around a bit with my unanimated guy the return to main menu screen appears, the screen with the skull in the background with very few options. The only way for me to play this game currently is in one sitting, or just leaving it running in the background while I've alt-tabbed to the desktop. I am also logged in as an administrator. I'll keep trying different things to see if there's a work-around of some sort. Either way, I'm looking forward to a fix! :-)

Next time I mess with this I'll try to write down notes of specific things that might help the devs.

On a very different note, I am really impressed with the enemy skeleton path finding. They're pretty spry for AI.

I'm having the exact same problem. Every time I go continue it starts at the Academy, no matter how far I've progresses. Alsop having the same animation bug and get thrown to a screen where "Return to Main Menu" is the only option. Also running on XP, SP3. I tried starting off a new save slot but still happens.

JoelFB
08-13-2009, 02:29 PM
This sounds like a Steam Cloud issue, possibly. Sorry it took a while to get to this.

There's a few things to test:

1) Go to <steam>\userdata\xxxxxx\35700\ and check the folders, especially \profiles\xxx\save\

2) Go to <steam>\steamapps\common\trine\profiles\xxxx\save\ and check the files

Are they different? By default I believe the game now loads the Steam Cloud data, but it might save the files to the Trine folder too as a backup method (I have no idea to be honest).

3) Check <steam>\steamapps\common\trine\logs\ and the various log files there, is there anything pertaining to Steam Cloud or similar?

If this doesn't help, then this might:

- open the console with F8 key and write: "/steam_cloud_enabled 0" and press Enter, and then start a new game (load might work too). This should disable Steam Cloud.

What makes this even more interesting is that on my home computer (right now) I don't have the userdata folder myself. Perhaps I'm too tired and can't find it, or maybe there's something weird going on. (Edit: Ok I think this could be simply because I don't have any Cloud-enabled stuff installed, and if the game isn't able to create it now, then the folder is missing completely.)

If the game is in other ways broken (animations) etc, I would suggest re-downloading, because it's likely the data is just corrupted.

Let me know if these help and if there's any more information... I think this should be solvable, but if these don't help then it has to wait until tomorrow. So I hope these would help. :)

Edit: I can verify that this issue happens to me too. I get (invalid time) in the Save Slot menu and it's always the first level. Now going to test if the console command helps...

JoelFB
08-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Ok this is solved. If you disable Steam Cloud with the console command, you will be able to use your saves straightaway.

Here's the instructions again:

- in the main menu screen, open the console with the F8 key and write: "/steam_cloud_enabled 0" and press Enter. Then go to either Continue or Select level, and you should see your progress correctly.

I am not sure why this is happening. It does seem to be a Steam-wide problem for many if not all users. I would expect the problem to go away at some point, though, I doubt Trine is the only game affected...

ouvintes
08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Just noticed on the log it wasn't saving to Steam Cloud. Started the game now, for some reason it asked me to restart, I did and now it looks like the saving to Cloud is working since I was able to retrieve previous states and start playing at the second level. Thanks for the help, congratulations, the game is gorgeous and a lot of fun.

-LeeMan-
08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I was going to put up the exact same problem and describe the details myself, but it seems you're on to it already.

Fantastic game, and some great support I see as well. Thanks Joel.

Edit: May I ask how you got it to save to Cloud Ouvintus?

Metl
08-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Fantastic response time Joel, thanks for the help again. My problem is solved. Enjoying the game thoroughly now. Great way to spend the time waiting for the start of classes. ;-)

lyravega
08-13-2009, 06:26 PM
My savegame(s) work now. Thanks

ouvintes
08-14-2009, 07:56 AM
I was going to put up the exact same problem and describe the details myself, but it seems you're on to it already.

Fantastic game, and some great support I see as well. Thanks Joel.

Edit: May I ask how you got it to save to Cloud Ouvintus?
I didn't really do anything. I started the game to try disabling Steam Cloud through the console and for some reason it went through the DirectX installation again, then it asked me to restart, I did. Once I started the game and opened the console it had the following message: "Game saved to Steam Cloud". I then started one of my previous games and it worked. Still have to test it another PC to check if the Cloud is really working but it seems ok now. Is it saving ok for you now, LeeMan ?

Beernf
08-16-2009, 10:59 AM
I posted in the other thread, but disabling steam_cloud as suggested has not fixed me. I am still encountering the exact same problem as described by other users. Are there any other potential workarounds?

Dante1972
08-16-2009, 01:46 PM
I posted in the other thread, but disabling steam_cloud as suggested has not fixed me. I am still encountering the exact same problem as described by other users. Are there any other potential workarounds?

I am having the exact same problem. The work around does not work for me either. I am running Windows Vista 32. I have tried reinstalling Trine, disabling steam cloud, reinstalling directx, running as admin.

Trine seems like a really cool game. Unfortunately I cannot play it in it's current state. Any help would be appreciated.

Dante1972
08-16-2009, 02:52 PM
OK I figured out how to fix the issue... The solution is pretty crazy but I will explain the best I can. For some reason it seems that Trine did not install correctly and the reinstalls were not working either. This method will force Trine to install correctly. All my saves are now working %100 correctly :D

Step 1. Log into steam as you normally would(online mode)
Step 2. Find your Trine Icon on the desktop. Right click and select properties. Select Compatibilty Tab. Select Run this program as administrator. Click OK.
Step 3. Double click Icon to launch Trine. Select ok at UAC prompt. Once in Trine Exit the program.
Step 4. Go to My Games in Steam. Right Click on Trine and select Delete Local content.(Only do this once!) On my machine it did not uninstall. This is ok. You want this to happen.
Step 5. Exit Steam.
Step 6. Relaunch Steam. If you get a prompt not to run steam as admin(I did) go to your steam directory and find the steam executable. Right click on steam.exe and select compatibilty tab. Uncheck runas as admin. Click OK
Step 7. Launch Steam again. You should be able to log in now.
Step 8. Go to My Games Tab. You should notice that Tine did not fully uninstall. This is OK. Just double click on Trine to Launch the game. At this put you should get an UAC prompt. Click ok. It should install some DirectX files and finish insatlling Trine. Once this is done, Trine should now work %100 correctly.

I have no idea why it was doing this, but the above fixed the save problems for me. This was tested on Vista 32.

JoelFB
08-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Huh... well if that works, great. :)

Beernf, does that work for you? If not (or if you want to try these first), I'd suggest re-typing the console command. Make sure you type it with the / and the underscores ("/steam_cloud_enabled 0", note the extra space too). You can see if it has any effect by writing "steam" and then pressing TAB - it should autofill the command and show you what its state is currently (0 or 1).

If it does not work, then please check your folders:

<steam>\userdata\xxxxxx\35700\profiles\xxxx\save\

are there any files here? If so, copy them to:

<steam>\steamapps\common\trine\profiles\xxxx\save\ (but please take backups first)

You can also open the .dhs files in e.g. Notepad, and see what it says at the top. It should display the level you are in, maybe on the 10th line or so. Let me know.

Beernf
08-16-2009, 08:08 PM
So for some reason the 'run as administrator' option is grayed out, so i can't check and see if the above method fixes me.

Additionally, i have no userdata directory under 'steam' on my machine. So i can't check that method either. I have no idea why i am having so many problems.

JoelFB
08-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Beernf, I'll send you a savegame file manually later today (in roughly 10 hours, sorry about this, I'm on the countryside right now and don't have Trine with me). I think the problem is that Steam Cloud hasn't been working for you at all and hasn't create the base directories etc under userdata, so we'll disable that and start you off "normally". I'll get back to you soon.

Beernf
08-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Great. After i did a little more investigation it doesnt seem like its saving the steam_cloud preference either. Every time i start the game up steam_cloud_enabled is always set to 1. Probably part of the same root cause though.

JoelFB
08-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Beernf, I've put a savegame file to
http://trine-thegame.com/help/Trine_savegameslot5_uptoDragonGraveyard.zip

It's up to Dragon Graveyard but you can just start from Wolvercote Catacombs. It goes to save game slot 5. Since you don't have the Steam Cloud directories at all, just put the file to the game's directory in \profiles\default\save , and launch the game and see what happens. You might want to see if Steam Cloud works now, but you can also disable it as suggested earlier. Once you get to the sixth level (Crystal Caverns), I suggest you quit and check if the progress was saved.

Let me know how it goes.

Kintar
08-19-2009, 04:55 AM
I had this same issue (Windows 7 beta) when I first started playing. However, I just launched Trine from the start menu, rather than directly from Steam, and the issue resolved itself. If you're having problems, give that a shot. Maybe you'll get lucky, too! =)

stuartlee
08-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Also having the non-saving problem, after playing for several hours I'm back at the very start.

I have disabled the steam cloud thing, manually selected a save slot (how the hell that isn't selected by default I can't imagine) and started again. The game is apparently now saving under
G:\Steam\steamapps\common\trine\profiles\default\s ave since a file appeared there that wasn't present before. The major problem is that no progress is actually saved. I reach checkpoints but every time I quit and try to continue I'm back at the very beginning. There is no option to save progress, so if it's not auto saving, then what?

JoelFB
08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
The game saves between levels, not between checkpoints. Let me know if this caused some confusion (and if it did, sorry about it - we know it's a bit annoying for some players to have to play through an entire level for progress to be saved, but that's the way it goes).

stuartlee
08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
So you have checkpoints throughout the game but someone actually decided it would be a good idea to not save progress and make players redo the whole level instead. Wow, that's just unbelievable.

Beernf
08-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Took me a while to verify, but after downloading that save i seem to be able to continue through the game as normal now. Thanks for all the support JoelFB. Very helpful.

JoelFB
08-25-2009, 03:14 AM
Beernf, great to hear. :)

stuartlee, it was/is a question of rewriting a bunch of savegame code. Not just a design issue. (There's a small chance we'll do a simple "hack" that enables continuing from checkpoints upon load but I can't promise it for sure.)

plucko
04-20-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm having the same problem and the console command doesn't seem to work either. :( Will there an update to fix this?

JoelFB
04-20-2010, 07:16 AM
plucko, can you give some further details on the problem? I don't want to go by the original thread's posts because those issues should be solved by now... So as much information as you can provide would be helpful.

Does the console command (F8, then write "/steam_cloud_enabled 0" and press Enter) do anything? Does it say anything in the console? In theory what it should do is that it disables Steam Cloud, and instead will use the files in trine\profiles\default\save\ . If Steam Cloud has been broken since the beginning for you, then you could disable it and start a New Game, and see if the levels appear in the Choose level menu as you complete the first level... Let me know.

Vrungel
11-05-2010, 03:59 PM
I have the same problem and i've tried all things written above, but the game just dont want to save.
In the slot there is correct time for the save, and updates every time, but after thatthe game begins form the start.
What should i do?

gs1911
11-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Thats just how the game is sadly made, see this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1561011
Would have liked a Save feature too.

dr_elbow
01-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Ok this is solved. If you disable Steam Cloud with the console command, you will be able to use your saves straightaway.

Here's the instructions again:

- in the main menu screen, open the console with the F8 key and write: "/steam_cloud_enabled 0" and press Enter. Then go to either Continue or Select level, and you should see your progress correctly.

I am not sure why this is happening. It does seem to be a Steam-wide problem for many if not all users. I would expect the problem to go away at some point, though, I doubt Trine is the only game affected...

No the problem is still there. I am having the same issue. About to play an early part of the game for the 4th, and hopefully last time, after I get this issue with the gamesave sorted out. It's not going right back to the start and I played it a bit further each time but it still defaults back. I also can't see how to manually save.

So is this still the way to solve it for Windows 7 users?