PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Status in Friends List

Pages : [1] 2

Pebr
07-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Can we have a status that shows us offline but allows us to stay signed in to our friend list? Sometimes i just don't want my friends to know that i'm online or know what game i'm playing.

EDIT: In a unique case, in Team Fortress 2, players must be signed in to friends to be able to find items through steam cloud. An "invisible" status option would be very nice in this situation.

Steam is the equivalent of going to the cinema with every one of your friends and family every time you go to see a movie without an option of going alone or with a select person.

This isn't about skulking around and it's not about having issues with certain people on your list. Family issues, fake friends etc. isn't relevant to this.

A "Privacy Groups" option would be a better idea where you can sign into a "Location" where you are visible to only a select group. Say you wanted to play only with your work colleagues or just your family members etc...

EDIT: At this point i can only imagine this is about money. Reducing the amount of the steam community that appears online also reduces the amount of sharing, communication, and visibility among community members.

My guess is that Valve wants everyone to see everyone else as much as possible to maximize the the above.

SuicideBomber
07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
I support this idea, or at least the ability to hide your In-game status.

Geister
07-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't really understand the necessity to have that since your time will be logged on your community page (unless that mode would prevent it), and I don't get why you would hide from your friends if they are your friends. However, this is not the question here.

I support this idea too, more status options (maybe a custom message?) and especially an invisible mode would be good.

Plasma
07-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I'd also like this, an Invisible mode (where you can't even talk to friends) would be great.

SuicideBomber
07-21-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd also like this, an Invisible mode (where you can't even talk to friends) would be great.
How would that be any different from "Offline", other than the ability to see your friends?

I support an invisible mode where you can message friends, and they can message you only after you initially have messaged them during an "invisible" session (Otherwise you would appear offline)

Pebr
07-22-2009, 04:15 AM
I don't really understand the necessity to have that since your time will be logged on your community page (unless that mode would prevent it), and I don't get why you would hide from your friends if they are your friends. However, this is not the question here.

I support this idea too, more status options (maybe a custom message?) and especially an invisible mode would be good.

This is just an option like most instant messaging programs offer. There are times, on occasion, where people just like to have privacy. What if i want to play my game of TF2 alone for a change without any of my friends? I'm not going to tell each one of them to please leave me alone for the next 30 mins and i'm not going to ask them to leave the server if they join.

Sure, i can just sign out of my friends but like i said, TF2 requires players to be signed into friends for steam cloud stuff to work. Or perhaps there are a few people i'd like to know are online that i want to play with. I'd like to follow those particular people to a game if wanted but not have others join.

Plasma
07-23-2009, 05:48 PM
How would that be any different from "Offline", other than the ability to see your friends?

I support an invisible mode where you can message friends, and they can message you only after you initially have messaged them during an "invisible" session (Otherwise you would appear offline)

Yeah good point, I like your way better (which is like MSN Messenger and others).

Geister
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
This is just an option like most instant messaging programs offer. There are times, on occasion, where people just like to have privacy. What if i want to play my game of TF2 alone for a change without any of my friends? I'm not going to tell each one of them to please leave me alone for the next 30 mins and i'm not going to ask them to leave the server if they join.

Sure, i can just sign out of my friends but like i said, TF2 requires players to be signed into friends for steam cloud stuff to work. Or perhaps there are a few people i'd like to know are online that i want to play with. I'd like to follow those particular people to a game if wanted but not have others join.
And if a friend joins your server even though you were offline, what are you going to do? Change your nickname?

However, I never said I was against the idea.

maikeru72
08-12-2009, 08:22 PM
You can just set your status as offline, then go to the community tab and then "View My Profile" and you'll see which of your friends are online. I'd personally like to see an option to hide which which game I'm playing.

WiZeNgAmOtX
08-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Facebook has this option with their chat as well. I support this. Just be the cause that one feature is not "necessary" for your computer to work, that does not then mean that it is not "good" and not "better" for one person (assuming it is not "worse" for an other person).

RelientTU
08-13-2009, 06:21 AM

I love this idea. There are times I just want to play L4D without getting fifteen invites just because I'm in game. This would be awesome.

Tannekr
08-13-2009, 06:45 AM
I support this suggestion.

Limp0r
08-27-2009, 03:04 AM
I support it too ;) Sometimes you only want to play a little bit and dont want to chat with 10 people wich message u :P

AntiFritz
08-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah its stupid that you cant play l4d at all if your offline due to matchmaking.

no1knowz
08-27-2009, 05:41 PM
i think its good, soundz stypid, but some timez u want 2 hide from some one ;D

Freemon
08-27-2009, 08:14 PM
i subcribe to this, it would be really usefull sometimes. :D make it happen valve!

cryptodan
08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Very good idea, for those times you do not want to be annoyed.

Mr Pling
08-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Custom status.

Inbjiburu
08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Great idea. If you could also talk to someone while your invisable that'd be really good to.

Wazgrel
09-11-2009, 08:40 AM
to people who still dont get why we need invisible mode, lets put it this way - offline doesn't work for us just for the reason that you cannot earn achievements, use steam cloud and all stuff like that.
invisible mode can be like this - you stay logged on to steam, can buy stuff, go play some crap, but be offline in chat.

mrsoftware
09-11-2009, 11:47 PM
So basically like MSN messenger's "Appear Offline" mode?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Sometimes I like to have a play without being bugged by certain people on my friends list, whilst waiting for someone i do talk to to come online.

EVIL-JURA
09-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Can we have a status that shows us offline but allows us to stay signed in to our friend list? Sometimes i just don't want my friends to know that i'm online or know what game i'm playing.

In a unique case, in Team Fortress 2, players must be signed in to friends to be able to find items through steam cloud. An "invisible" status option would be very nice in this situation.

good idea i support it

milkman128
09-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I would like something like this.

DarCowAlways
09-20-2009, 05:49 PM

That would be awesome, but the "Invisible" option alone would be a great improvement. Although, you can always see who's online by going to your steam page, but that is slow, inconvenient and conflicts with TF2.

aker
10-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Please add this feature to Steam!
I Support it!

E_Surge
11-18-2009, 12:49 AM
i support having an 'appear offline' mode. You can play your game, track the hours, but you won't be seen as playing a game or even online (applies to your friend's list and your community profile page)

knetworx
11-23-2009, 03:19 PM
For MW2, it's not an issue of just achievements or the cloud, if you are "offline" and try to play a multiplayer match, you automatically go online. If you are playing multiplayer, and you set your status to be "offline", you are kicked from the match. So, it is literally impossible to play MW2 multiplayer without everybody on your friends list knowing what you're doing.

I have a lot of people from work on my friends list, and we are allowed to have Steam running on our computers at work (as long as we're not actually playing during core hours.) If I take a late lunch break, and play during that time, or if I play a quick game during my 15-minute break in the afternoon, my co-workers can see that I'm playing "during work", and unless I tell them specifically that I took a late lunch, or I was on my break, they will think that I'm playing when I should be working. The same applies if I'm at home, legitimately sick, and I decide to play. And yes, I've run into both of these situations, because some people would rather tell a manager that I'm playing games during work, rather than ask me if there's a reason I'm playing during that time. It's the kind of mess I'd rather avoid.

And of course, to echo everyone else's concerns, sometimes I just don't want a bunch of people sending me invites while I'm playing.

3nmity
11-24-2009, 06:50 PM
When damnit, when..

iarkin
11-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Yes pleeease add an "invisible"/"appear offline" mode for the friends list

Ayla
11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Can we have a status that shows us offline but allows us to stay signed in to our friend list?

Also "spying" everyone is kinda "dangerous". Even in my messengers, I personally remove all invisible contacts from my list. I will do the same on STEAM - no exception.

Go offline instead -> click right on the STEAM icon -> click Community.

planetarian
12-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Ayla, et al.: As has been said several times, this does not work. Some games REQUIRE you to be logged in to Friends for full functionality. Modern Warfare 2 will not even let you go online AT ALL if you're not signed into Friends. Not only that, but MW2 forces Friends to sign in if you're offline. This means it is literally impossible to have any privacy while playing these games, and in at least one case you'll wind up signed in without even realizing it.

"Spying" is NOT the point of having an Invisible mode. It's about having privacy. In windows live, if I want some privacy I can set myself to Appear Offline and talk only to those whom I feel like talking to, without my other friends bugging me.

phoduma
12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
i really want invisible mode too! especially for games like L4D or COD:MW2 which forces you to be ONLINE to play which i think is fckin stupid, so at least give us a F'in DAMN invisible mode

phoduma
12-08-2009, 06:34 PM
anyways i think we all talkin to a wall, i post a same suggestion over a year ago too, how hard it is to get invisible status for crying out loud.. all my messenger service have it why dont you, u really p!ssin me off, DO YOU DAMN JOB GOD DAMN IT

JUST LOOK AT HOW MANY VIEWS ON THIS POST, ITS OBVIOUSLY AN IMPORTANT SUGGESTION

fckin a...

Danish
12-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Private profile page.

But yeah, sometimes I like privacy too, so this would be great in my opinion. I support and hope they make this.

Cabal17
12-09-2009, 09:41 AM
This is one feature that Steam really needs. I use the "appear offline" setting constantly on Xbox Live to avoid game invites to games I don't currently want to play. Having the same thing on Steam would be awesome so I wouldn't get spammed with L4D2 invites when playing Dragon Age or Team Fortress 2.

D3l3rium
01-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Im also supporting this idea, not only because im playing Tf2 but also many other games and sometimes i dont want my friends to know that or what im playing . Not because i dont like them , sometimes i really wanna play alone ... and i really DONT like to tell everybody "hey please dont join me"
although, to some of my friends it looks like i dont like them ...
AND of course there are some people who can get very anoing ... last time i deleted one of my best friends and added him again later , because he spammed me with ♥♥♥♥ ...

planetarian
01-01-2010, 11:18 PM
alternative suggestion: make it so that if you block someone, they always see you as offline. This would be like selective invisibility, and should probably be implemented even if invisible mode is added. I tested this with a friend and he said it still showed me in-game after i blocked him and started a game.

leveller
01-02-2010, 03:05 AM

In a unique case, in Team Fortress 2, players must be signed in to friends to be able to find items through steam cloud. An "invisible" status option would be very nice in this situation.

Agreed. The ability to be shown as offline to all but a specific group of friends would be awesome. I am always hassled by randoms while playing clan matches so I force offline mode and then lose the ability to PM ... doesn't make sense. 'Appear' offline = great idea.

gimpymoo
01-02-2010, 04:58 AM
I support this too.

kameleus
01-03-2010, 02:51 AM
I support this idea.

Cheeseface
01-16-2010, 07:26 PM
I like this idea also, or at least to be able to hide what game or server you are in.

JediMastr80
01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
I support this too.

Sometimes you get those people who are annoying, that IM you and won't stop, which we have all probably talk to somebody like that, but you don't want to remove them from the list. This can allow to control who you talk to.
Or if you want to play games in peace, you won't have to worry about anybody bothering you.

This sorta sounds like the Invisible Mode on AIM, where you can see everybody on your buddy list (Minus invisible people, who are marked offline), you can IM them, and they can't IM you, unless you IM them 1st.

..... Now that i think about that, AIM i think fixed that so you can IM Anybody at Anytime, but with older versions of AIM, like the Classic 5.9, it was like that.

Llednar
01-17-2010, 12:42 AM
I dont understand why anyone is questioning this suggestion.

Some times, Im tired, I just want to play casually with anonymous people that I really dont care if they think Im a crappy player or not. But in the case of some games, I have to be online to fully experience them.
But then you get friends jumping into your games, or moaning at you to join the server they are on. And yeh, they are my friends but some times I just dont want to play "that" kind of game.

Its ether add an appear offline mode, or just fix the games in question so that being on steam friends has no effect on them.

placeboing
01-20-2010, 02:09 AM
I agree entirely. This would be great.

GI_Biochip
01-21-2010, 05:51 AM

LOL That'd be great for when one is off work "ill"...

Smoglet
01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
If a system such as this was put into place it would mean I could happily play whatever game I want without having requests for games I am not even playing just because they can see me online.

Don't even get me started on MW2 and how dumb that setup is......

mreeuwij
01-22-2010, 05:10 AM
I use at the moment another account for this effect (on which a VERY select small group of friends are), would be nice to have.

things needed for such:

- Appear offline
- Ability to show or not show if you are in game
- Ability to turn off the "*NICKNAME* is now playing _______ . Click here to join. " messages OTHERS get when you join a server.
- fancy: grouping in friendslist, and have a group you could select that gets it all (that youre online, gaming etc) but not the rest.

samstancill
01-22-2010, 07:56 AM
I imagine the reason this hasn't already been implemented is because games that require you to be signed in to play multi player would require updates that the developers might not be willing to make.

But I wholeheartedly support this idea and if there's any way you can make it work, even just for future games, I would be happy.

max2
03-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Never going to happen.

mrsoftware
03-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Never going to happen.

Thanks for that really useful post.

Swivelgames
03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Never going to happen.
lawlfail? Explain yourself or don't post. Without evidence, you're just trolling...

I support an invisible mode where you can message friends, and they can message you only after you initially have messaged them during an "invisible" session (Otherwise you would appear offline)/signed

max2
03-12-2010, 02:47 AM
lawlfail? Explain yourself or don't post. Without evidence, you're just trolling...

/signed

Sure. By steam making a invisible status in friends list it puts a great disadvantage to us as well. Plus they will not be able to get it to work with games that require you be logged into friends list to play multiplayer.

EpicBread
03-12-2010, 05:22 AM
+1
I support this, especially if you wanted to play without people nagging you, but still able to send people messages/use games that require you to be online.
It's just a function I think every messenger needs.

Swivelgames
03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Sure. By steam making a invisible status in friends list it puts a great disadvantage to us as well. Plus they will not be able to get it to work with games that require you be logged into friends list to play multiplayer.

You're not explaining yourself :/

You say it would put us at a great disadvantage as well? Aside from the games that require players to be logged in to Steam friends, who is the hypothetical "they"? And what "great disadvantage" would we be at?

The point is not for the player to be OFFLINE. So, if structured correctly and logically, it would work with out a problem for games that require you to be logged in to friends. Again, you're not OFFLINE. You're still logged in, and games would be able to verify that.

yuuks7785
03-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Uhh isn't there an option to be 'offline' by right clicking on task bar icon, clicking on 'friends' and then using the status tab to check 'offline'? There is also the option for away, busy, online. Doesn't this hide your status but keep you logged in STEAM?

Correct me if I'm wrong because I actually would like something like this as well because sometimes I just want to play and not be bothered (eg when Im playing a game for the first time)

thedeath
03-18-2010, 09:52 AM
yeah sounds nice i almost filled my list and get like 50 messages in 40 min and i like to play instead of answering them all or being a ♥♥♥♥ and ignoring them.

max2
03-21-2010, 10:55 AM
If people don't like being bothered you shouldn't have any friends then. Just delete them all and be done with it.

bubba_dallas
04-01-2010, 08:18 PM
I agree we definitely need this feature. User's privacy should be taken very seriously, and forcing one to appear in online mode when playing multiplayer is just one example of where Steam currently falls short.

It is 2010. Privacy matters. Wise-up steam!

max2
04-03-2010, 11:51 PM
I expected someone like you would reply lol. You always do. If I had to bet everytime someone like you would reply I would win everytime!

xecs4fun
04-04-2010, 04:39 AM
nice ideea.hope they put it into action

Rebel44
04-04-2010, 10:36 AM
In Windows 7 if you right click on Steam in taskbar you have option to set your status to "offline" so you are online but to everyone else it looks like you are offline.

{Yotsuba}
04-05-2010, 12:16 AM
It would be a very handy feature to have, but Valve have stated in the past (in posts that have probably long since purged) that they have no intention of creating any additional privacy features or options -- which this would sadly, be classed as.

max2
04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
In Windows 7 if you right click on Steam in taskbar you have option to set your status to "offline" so you are online but to everyone else it looks like you are offline.

lol that has always been a option. Doesn't work for games that require you to be online Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, COD MW, etc

iamconald
04-06-2010, 12:41 AM
trying to keep game time hidden from wife/parents??

idburns
05-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Another post in support of an "appear offline" mode.

Kaith
05-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I too support appearing offline. Sometimes I want to play Dawn of War with one friends without letting down another friend who wants to play Team Fortress 2. If it isn't too hard to implement, I'd really love it if they could add it.

max2
05-10-2010, 04:35 AM
I too support appearing offline. Sometimes I want to play Dawn of War with one friends without letting down another friend who wants to play Team Fortress 2. If it isn't too hard to implement, I'd really love it if they could add it.

I had the same problem before. Just had to learn to adapt. The question is do your friends do this to you ? You can either just don't worry about it or you can have a plan b.

=DirtY*DawG=
05-27-2010, 08:00 AM
It's just another invasive "shove it down your throat" Steam thing. Forced to show your in-game status to everyone on your friends list, inability to play a game you paid for out of it's own folder, can't give away a game you don't play anymore, the list goes on and on. It's like if you have friends it's an all or nothing committment. I love the people who don't think past their own reality (i.e.: "i dont understand why have friends if you don't want to play with them etc") Like it's an unheard of concept to want to play alone from time to time without advertising that to my friends. This stupid system forces you to be rude to your friends.

max2
05-27-2010, 11:51 AM
It's just another invasive "shove it down your throat" Steam thing. Forced to show your in-game status to everyone on your friends list, inability to play a game you paid for out of it's own folder, can't give away a game you don't play anymore, the list goes on and on. It's like if you have friends it's an all or nothing committment. I love the people who don't think past their own reality (i.e.: "i dont understand why have friends if you don't want to play with them etc") Like it's an unheard of concept to want to play alone from time to time without advertising that to my friends. This stupid system forces you to be rude to your friends.

Then don't use steam. No one is forcing you to. This will never become a option or a feature.

Your best bet, if you still must use steam, is to have a second steam account for private gaming.

trgz
05-28-2010, 06:03 AM
I'd like this too.
Very useful if your boss also has a Steam account! Not that mine has :-)

davlyn_20
05-28-2010, 07:46 AM
add this feature :)

lolification
06-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Your best bet, if you still must use steam, is to have a second steam account for private gaming.

then u have to buy every game twice, one for playing with ur friends and one for private playing...

ur working for the games industries, aren't u?

I'd rather prefer an invisible mode =D

echo419a
06-22-2010, 05:19 PM
i support appear offline like in MSN!

gamerrox
06-24-2010, 10:55 PM
This thread has been running for almost a year now, hopefully Valve will "get the memo" and add this feature to Steam. It obviously seems like a heavily requested feature.

Pr3d4t0R
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
i support this suggestion

Borginator
07-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I agree, this would be cool

Syldan
07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd support for the community page. Peoples not on your friendlist does not need to know. As for friendlist... if you don't want to be bothered, be 'occupied', respectfully tell them. Hiding the game you are playing... well I guess I wouldn't want peoples to know when I'm playing 'My Prancing Ponies', but meh...

IIIKrazyKiDDIII
07-20-2010, 09:16 AM

There is a legitimate use of this and it is something I could use as well. I have a co-worker who plays games with me on steam but at some times of the day I don't want him to know I'm playing during break, its not during work but it sure seems like it. I also have a friend on steam who wants me to play certain game all the time, but I want to play another game without making him think I don't want to play with him. There are lots of reasons.

Syldan
07-20-2010, 10:43 AM
There is a legitimate use of this and it is something I could use as well. I have a co-worker who plays games with me on steam but at some times of the day I don't want him to know I'm playing during break, its not during work but it sure seems like it.

I suppose then that your co-worker friend is not working at that moment. I mean he has to be online too to know...

I also have a friend on steam who wants me to play certain game all the time, but I want to play another game without making him think I don't want to play with him. There are lots of reasons.

Tell him! Peoples really have no respect for their own friends, it is incredible... If he think you are being a jerk because you are not playing with him then, you might want to look for other friends.

IIIKrazyKiDDIII
07-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I suppose then that your co-worker friend is not working at that moment. I mean he has to be online too to know...

No some of us use steam to chat through the day. Thats why we keep it on.

Tell him! Peoples really have no respect for their own friends, it is incredible... If he think you are being a jerk because you are not playing with him then, you might want to look for other friends.

It's not as serious as you make it sound. It's more simple to just hide certain actions then to tell them upright, I don't like some of the games you like and I will reject you and play my own. Analagous to the days of old, when you're friend comes over to your house and you tell them I'd rather play Legos by myself.

Syldan
07-20-2010, 11:23 AM
No some of us use steam to chat through the day. Thats why we keep it on.

At some point I would wonder if you should be on Steam or any other IM then. I don't know your job, not that I wouldn't be chatting on job time.

It's not as serious as you make it sound. It's more simple to just hide certain actions then to tell them upright, I don't like some of the games you like and I will reject you and play my own. Analagous to the days of old, when you're friend comes over to your house and you tell them I'd rather play Legos by myself.

The flaw of your example is that the friend isn't at your place.. he is most likely 'calling' you if you want to do something... then you can tell him that you rather play with your legos, or your prancing ponies... you might not want to tell him what you are playing, that I can agree.

IIIKrazyKiDDIII
07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
At some point I would wonder if you should be on Steam or any other IM then. I don't know your job, not that I wouldn't be chatting on job time.

The flaw of your example is that the friend isn't at your place.. he is most likely 'calling' you if you want to do something... then you can tell him that you rather play with your legos, or your prancing ponies... you might not want to tell him what you are playing, that I can agree.

Listen, you are clearly trying to escalate an argument. I'm simply trying to state an example that would explain why "I" would like to have this feature.. not you. Leave the trolling and Ad Hominems out the door. If you are a steam dev, and arguing to prevent yourself from extra work, I can understand why you would defend not having this feature, but if you aren't I cannot see why you insist on fighting?

Syldan
07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Listen, you are clearly trying to escalate an argument. I'm simply trying to state an example that would explain why "I" would like to have this feature.. not you. Leave the trolling and Ad Hominems out the door. If you are a steam dev, and arguing to prevent yourself from extra work, I can understand why you would defend not having this feature, but if you aren't I cannot see why you insist on fighting?

Sorry if that sounded like trolling, I thought I was actually trying to be constructive. I like to discuss and develop on ideas to know WHY peoples want those options. There is some suggestions i'd be much more annoying than this one. Here, I'm just having a discussion and mocking a little. Sorry, not meant to be mean.

You may look at all the suggestions/ideas and they are mostly tiny updates that peoples could do without while there is more major ones that would require peoples support, but get quickly forgotten with dozen of suggestions like this pushing it into oblivion.

I don't remember saying I was against it. I just said I'm for it on the community page, but does not see the purpose in a friendlist.

IIIKrazyKiDDIII
07-20-2010, 01:36 PM

No offense taken. I'm glad we can agree to disagree on certain points. :)

Askumi
07-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Support. Sometimes I just have too many people talking. Nice to be able to control who talks to me. Hehe

flagrum
07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
i think this is not good idea, this is not icq client to keep status offline and be in friend list.

you should use offline status to ignore 100 messages from friends when you busy :D

Syldan
07-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Support. Sometimes I just have too many people talking. Nice to be able to control who talks to me. Hehe

Hum... okay okay it get my support too, this reason seems worthy enough :P I use invisible on MSN from times to times, rarely, when I am not feeling to start any conversation, not like anyone do start convo before I do, and I wouldn't be quite in the right mood for some of my friends... but I'm hoping some other to log in to talk with and change my mind.

i think this is not good idea, this is not icq client to keep status offline and be in friend list.

you should use offline status to ignore 100 messages from friends when you busy :D

ICQ, MSN, AIM, Y!M, they all have invisible status. Offline does not allow to monitor friends availability... it did happen that two friends were invisible waiting for the other to connect. I don't have a large list to say that I get messaged... actually none of them message me unless I write to them.

Out of 100 messages, he want to ignore 99 of them :P

sprky
08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
OH GOD YES! Please add this! 98% of the time, letting all my friends know what I'm up to, or going "offline" suits me just fine, but every once in a while, I want to put in some COD:MW2 or TF2 time without advertising it to everyone.

Right now for example, I have 6 friends online, and the moment I open up COD:MW2 they will want me to join their match and get on their Teamspeak channel. Normally, this would be great... However, I've had a very long day, and don't feel like chatting it up with anyone right now.

So my choices are:

1.) Don't play COD:MW2
2.) Tell them no (which will involve a lengthy back-and-forth message conversation complete with good-natured accusations of cowardice)
3.) Join the game and deal with it

Normally, I wouldn't mind one of those options, or I would be playing a game that doesn't require being signed into "Friends"... But right now I just want to blow things up in private and Steam doesn't allow that.

*** AFTERTHOUGHT ***

I used to have this problem with "Games for Windows" games, but with them, the game wasn't tied to the account so you could use different accounts. I had one normal account that I normally used, and another for when I felt like being anonymous. I would have no problem with a "multiple accounts/identities" feature instead of an invisible mode since they both solve my problem.

ZombineElite
08-26-2010, 03:54 AM
I like this idea.
Reason: I dont want too my friends talk too me while i play singleplayer on Gmod.

max2
08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
then u have to buy every game twice, one for playing with ur friends and one for private playing...

ur working for the games industries, aren't u?

I'd rather prefer an invisible mode =D

No I just go to the extreme sometimes when it comes to fixing pc problems lol. I really don't though.

max2
08-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Syldan speaks the truth. I rather be told than not know nothing at all. Will just say ok. When people ask me and I can't play I just tell them not now. Pretty easy. Go to busy or something.

max2
08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
OH GOD YES! Please add this! 98% of the time, letting all my friends know what I'm up to, or going "offline" suits me just fine, but every once in a while, I want to put in some COD:MW2 or TF2 time without advertising it to everyone.

Right now for example, I have 6 friends online, and the moment I open up COD:MW2 they will want me to join their match and get on their Teamspeak channel. Normally, this would be great... However, I've had a very long day, and don't feel like chatting it up with anyone right now.

So my choices are:

1.) Don't play COD:MW2
2.) Tell them no (which will involve a lengthy back-and-forth message conversation complete with good-natured accusations of cowardice)
3.) Join the game and deal with it

Normally, I wouldn't mind one of those options, or I would be playing a game that doesn't require being signed into "Friends"... But right now I just want to blow things up in private and Steam doesn't allow that.

*** AFTERTHOUGHT ***

I used to have this problem with "Games for Windows" games, but with them, the game wasn't tied to the account so you could use different accounts. I had one normal account that I normally used, and another for when I felt like being anonymous. I would have no problem with a "multiple accounts/identities" feature instead of an invisible mode since they both solve my problem.

You can already do that.

sprky
08-26-2010, 10:41 PM
[/B]

You can already do that.

Not if you buy games through Steam... Then the game is tied to the account that you purchased it with. I purchased COD:MW2 through Steam, and if I signed in as someone else, then I wouldn't be able to play it.

As for Syldan's statement, that's fine if you feel like telling everyone who decides to message you that you don't feel like playing with them right now (which isn't too big a deal most of the time). But every once in a while, some people (like me) don't want to have to explain that to everyone. As for the "Busy" setting, that doesn't work for games like COD:MW2 and L4D. It automatically switches your status when you play online.

-p0ppa-
08-27-2010, 06:42 AM
yea, i support this idea, especially in multiplayer games wont work properly like tf2 or mw2 without signing into friends.
its similar to msn's offline mode

max2
08-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Not if you buy games through Steam... Then the game is tied to the account that you purchased it with. I purchased COD:MW2 through Steam, and if I signed in as someone else, then I wouldn't be able to play it.

As for Syldan's statement, that's fine if you feel like telling everyone who decides to message you that you don't feel like playing with them right now (which isn't too big a deal most of the time). But every once in a while, some people (like me) don't want to have to explain that to everyone. As for the "Busy" setting, that doesn't work for games like COD:MW2 and L4D. It automatically switches your status when you play online.

I wasn't talking about it like that. What I mean is to have two totally different steam accounts.

sprky
08-27-2010, 11:16 AM
I wasn't talking about it like that. What I mean is to have two totally different steam accounts.

I realize that, and it's my fault because my analogy wasn't entirely clear. My point in my original comment was that being able to play any game (Steam or otherwise) using more than one account would be an acceptable alternative to an "invisible mode" for me.

max2
08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I realize that, and it's my fault because my analogy wasn't entirely clear. My point in my original comment was that being able to play any game (Steam or otherwise) using more than one account would be an acceptable alternative to an "invisible mode" for me.

Ok. Then I guess you realize there is a way to fix your problem right this instant if you wanted to.

sprky
08-27-2010, 07:19 PM
:confused:

Uh... Buy the 3 games I have purchased through Steam (that require signing into "Friends") again? Just so that I can use a different Steam account? I'm gonna go with no on that ~$150 solution. ;)

Anyway, I'm done discussing the merits of this idea. I'm just regurgitating the same arguments used several times in this thread. Obviously not everyone agrees with the idea, and that's fine. I just wanted to throw in my support of it because it would be a useful feature IMHO.

WisdomPanda
09-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Totally support this thread.

Also just to point out something; If you're talking a basic Invisible function, where you are "online" while appearing offline, the actual code logistics of it are not that massive; there is a reason why just about every IM system has this option.

If Valve wants to offer services such as Friends List/IM/Community pages, etc, through Steam they need to accept the responsibility of doing it correctly and acknowledge that their userbase - which are paying them and keeping them in cushy jobs - will not want every whistle they can stick on.

Booleans are your friend, Valve.

Matrix0507
09-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me

max2
09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
In theory it is a good idea but in the end it is not. Remember steam is a gaming community. What is the point of it if everyone hides ?

spidaweb
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
maybe they could implement a block button for each friend.
you appear as offine to all blocked friends.

Same as windows live messenger, cept it also has the abality to sign in hidden.

eagleFMJ
09-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Yes I would love/use this feature quite often like I do with msn,aim etc.

max2
09-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Wow there a lot of people here scared of people or do not really want friends.

IIIKrazyKiDDIII
09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
In theory it is a good idea but in the end it is not. Remember steam is a gaming community. What is the point of it if everyone hides ?

Would you like it if Facebook broadcasted everything you did to every group you had? "Facebook is a social community, what is the point of socializing if everybody hides?" There are reasons to hide certain actions to certain groups of people, maybe not all the time, but once in a while it is wanted by some people evidently.

Godeke
09-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Wow there a lot of people here scared of people or do not really want friends.

I think what is being stated is that sometimes we want to be part of the community and play multiplayer games. OTHER times we would like a bit of peace and quiet to play a single-player game. Loading up a game shouldn't be a clarion call to interrupt the game with multiplayer requests when I'm just squeezing in a few turns solo. Heck, Bioshock doesn't even have multiplayer, but the requests still pour in to do something else and entertain me (aka them).

As there is no choice as to the notifications of others, I have stopped buying games I'm mostly or entirely interested in the single player mode for via Steam. Multiplayer games, sure, but single player has been going via other services which don't assume that I want to say "no thanks, I'm really just getting some turns in" over and over again. I have also dumped my friends list down to only people I know in person.

None of that would have been necessary if we could say "I want to play this alone, thanks" from time to time, but as it stands Steam loses my dollars.

As this request has been longstanding I have to assume that Valve doesn't see the value of my dollars over the benefit of an "always on" community. That is of course their business decision and I respect it. After all, buying from another source deprives *me* of nothing, so they may continue to ignore those of us with limited interest in "the community".

max2
09-29-2010, 04:14 AM
I think what is being stated is that sometimes we want to be part of the community and play multiplayer games. OTHER times we would like a bit of peace and quiet to play a single-player game. Loading up a game shouldn't be a clarion call to interrupt the game with multiplayer requests when I'm just squeezing in a few turns solo. Heck, Bioshock doesn't even have multiplayer, but the requests still pour in to do something else and entertain me (aka them).

As there is no choice as to the notifications of others, I have stopped buying games I'm mostly or entirely interested in the single player mode for via Steam. Multiplayer games, sure, but single player has been going via other services which don't assume that I want to say "no thanks, I'm really just getting some turns in" over and over again. I have also dumped my friends list down to only people I know in person.

None of that would have been necessary if we could say "I want to play this alone, thanks" from time to time, but as it stands Steam loses my dollars.

As this request has been longstanding I have to assume that Valve doesn't see the value of my dollars over the benefit of an "always on" community. That is of course their business decision and I respect it. After all, buying from another source deprives *me* of nothing, so they may continue to ignore those of us with limited interest in "the community".

True you could just tell them not now or your busy. Easy enough.

I refuse to buy anymore steam games though for a different reason. Don't care how cheap they go on sale either.

norealname8
09-29-2010, 04:14 AM
+1 Support

Godeke
10-01-2010, 08:08 AM
True you could just tell them not now or your busy. Easy enough.

You keep repeating yourself in this thread with those exact words, apparently unwilling to accept that some people don't like repeating themselves.

The challenge level of responding to one hyper-kinetic FPS fanatic is low. The problem is that if you went through a phase where you played a lot of Valve's FPS games but are now bored with them (I guess that happens more when you are in your 40's, married with children) then you have a lot of hyper-kinetic FPS fanatics on your friends list who can't understand why you like Civ 4 and won't play with them [insert FPS flavor of the month here].

Then the cost to concentration and annoyance goes up a bit. Like I said, I solved it by removing those "friends" who weren't really friends. Sadly, that leads to "Internet Drama" (TM) which is another kind of annoyance.

All that could have been avoided with an invisible mode or even something like Skype has where I can type "Playing CIV 4, going to be busy". Instead Valve prefers (as a business plan targeting hyper-kinetic FPS fans I guess) to announce your intentions to play a game incompatible with your faux-friends unless you go through the Offline ritual and lose achievement tracking.

Which is why I now have no more faux-friends and buy my single player elsewhere... and have skipped on the clearly excellent CIV 5, which has mandatory Steam integration.

Easy enough.

Pebr
10-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks Godeke.

This "just tell them" point is rather redundant.

Steam at the moment is the equivalent of living your life with a tracking bug implanted in your skull allowing everyone to know where you are at all times. I can't imagine anyone would enjoy having everyone know exactly where you are and what you are doing in the world in real life.

My invisible option idea is simply the option to disable this "tracking bug", just like you would want to do if your current real-life actions were public information.

Godeke
10-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Godeke.

This "just tell them" point is rather redundant.

Steam at the moment is the equivalent of living your life with a tracking bug implanted in your skull allowing everyone to know where you are at all times. I can't imagine anyone would enjoy having everyone know exactly where you are and what you are doing in the world in real life.

My invisible option idea is simply the option to disable this "tracking bug", just like you would want to do if your current real-life actions were public information.

I agree with you, but I also think this is a culture divide between older gamers (and privacy sensitive folk) and the 20-something crowd. I have called them the "naked generation" because they share everything without a second thought. My son is growing up to be one of them... privacy isn't a concern he understands.

I don't use Facebook and my Linked-In page is for business purposes *only*. I blog, but mostly technical articles about my field, not "what I'm doing right now". I use IM, but like to turn it off at night.

In short, I am incompatible with the "always on" culture that assumes that I want to know what my buddy had for breakfast... and demands that I tell *them* the same. Steam is quite compatible with this social norms of the naked generation though, which is why I agree with Max's earlier comment that it isn't a feature that is likely to be implemented.

It is just a shame because I like a lot of other things about Steam and Offline mode would even be a reasonable workaround if it wasn't so persnickety. Fortunately there are other options still for those other games and multi-player games still work quite well with Steam. I'm not a hardliner who has boycotted or anything (the number of Steam games I own makes that obvious) but I just prefer to look for an alternative if it is available for those games I prefer to play single-player.

=DirtY*DawG=
10-06-2010, 06:28 PM

Dude I find you hilarious. Here goes: I don't understand what or why you don't understand lol. Every other post of yours is questioning people's desire to play privately without having to alert everyone on their friends list, or, some absurd suggestion of spending another 60 bux for the game on a new account (rotfl)

How many more people have to post threads for you to see that there's nothing for you to understand and that it's a common and reasonable desire that many people share?

rof101mao
10-07-2010, 04:47 AM
I would love this feature

samstancill
10-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Godeke made his first three posts count.

Support for this idea. This cannot be hard to program. What is the Steam staff doing with their time, anyway?

sharkwouter
10-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Doesn't this already exist? Friends -> Offline. Or does this make you run in offline mode?

Godeke
10-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Doesn't this already exist? Friends -> Offline. Or does this make you run in offline mode?

I just tested this: I swear in the past when I fired up a game in Offline mode it published my play despite being "offline". However, running a tiny indie game over and over again confirms that Steam longer causes the toast window to pop up on friends (in this case my son's) computer when I start a game.

Previously my tests (with two machines in the same room) showed the toast window even with the Friends->Offline setting. Combined with a private profile it appears to do what I wanted, meaning I can add some people back and toggle that setting as desired.

I wonder if my prior test was done when my profile was public; it might be that both settings must be adjusted.

Rafael-FX
10-22-2010, 03:42 PM
+1 for the invisible idea.

There are many reasons for someone to want to play a game without the world knowing it.

Specially for those who have girlfriends and bosses in the steam friend list heh

Binocl
10-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Raise the topic because I consider it relevant 8)

Plasma
10-26-2010, 07:41 PM
+1 wish we had this feature

_Wildy_
10-31-2010, 02:20 AM
I support the idea too.

themurph
11-12-2010, 01:58 PM
PLEASE implement this. I can't believe how long the friends feature has been around and this has not been an option.

Paulyd
11-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Something like this would be a very good idea.

Mister Sponge
11-12-2010, 03:34 PM
This is a good idea. I mean, if I wanna play TF2 in peace sometime, and launch the game, I get 10 guys asking "WANNA PLAY WITH ME?"
Really annoying.

Ekstrom
11-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Supported.

Keep it clear, keep it real, keep it short.

max2
11-14-2010, 05:46 AM
Thing that amazes me about this topic is how few realize there a way around it.

omgitsmewazap
11-14-2010, 05:52 AM
i also want this, the offline mode doesn't cut it because it doesn't count the hours your playing. just don't make it like skype/msn when were you put it invisible mod and you can still recive messages

Flurgorg
11-14-2010, 06:00 AM
Thing that amazes me about this topic is how few realize there a way around it.

Don't bother explaining it or anything.

lt.br0ken
11-14-2010, 08:50 AM
login at http://steamcommunity.com from web browser and ppl wont see you are online in friends but you can see if they are online. (and you cant chat btw)

Pebr
11-14-2010, 08:52 AM
login at http://steamcommunity.com from web browser and ppl wont see you are online in friends but you can see if they are online. (and you cant chat btw)

That's great if you don't intend on playing any games... The point isn't to spy on people, it's to have some privacy.

IncompetentFool
02-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Very much supported. I really hope this gets some notice eventually.

ultimatepyro
02-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Yea this really needed. I usually have to play in offline mode just to avoid ppl seeing me online. It kinda sucks cause some games require you to be online to play.

Here's some examples of why we need it.

Ur friend sees you playing a game while you're:
skipping work
skipping school
skipping church
skipping anything

You don't want xxxxx to see you playing.
GF
Parents
Wife

OmegaXtreme420
02-16-2011, 07:46 PM
sounds pointless like having a private profile, dont want them seeing u online ? block them or delete them
Yea this really needed. I usually have to play in offline mode just to avoid ppl seeing me online. It kinda sucks cause some games require you to be online to play.

Here's some examples of why we need it.

Ur friend sees you playing a game while you're:
skipping work
skipping school
skipping church
skipping anything

You don't want xxxxx to see you playing.
GF
Parents
Wife
don't skip work or school they are important problem solved

spitfire_90
02-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi i want to know if there is a feature to block your friends on Steam?

So that they can't see what game i'm playing or that im online either? Bit like we used to be able to do in the day's of MSN Messenger!

awesome_ninjaa
02-28-2011, 09:43 AM
signed

fraggles
03-11-2011, 03:19 PM

This example describes pretty much why I too want this feature implemented :D

please steam-developers!;)

vmmendes
03-11-2011, 05:42 PM
i support the idea

Ciryaher
03-30-2011, 05:59 AM
yeah this would be a great addition.

Dopdop
04-11-2011, 06:10 AM
/sign

Tritonio
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I want that too... It should be an option whether you will show what you play or not.

stunnA.
04-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I support it.

MsSnappy
04-13-2011, 08:17 PM
This idea is also being discussed in this topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1713270

Please post your support there, too!

MADDMONKEY
04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
This would be nice.

An example is MW2. I'll try to play a game and when I try MP it automatically signs me into friends, Then I get bombarded with chat messages from friends.

Sometimes I just want to play a game in peace.

dark_
04-14-2011, 11:09 AM
/sign

bloodhound01
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I can't believe this has been requested for over 2 years and still hasn't been implemented. AIM V1.0 had this feature.

worse1
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Almost 3 year old thread, so not gonna happen yet..

Dicson
04-21-2011, 06:20 AM
I support this suggestion.

jacmiszcz92
06-20-2011, 11:15 AM
/signed

Add invisible status, please

RaykoX
07-03-2011, 06:13 AM
I can't believe this has been requested for over 2 years and still hasn't been implemented. AIM V1.0 had this feature.

This. Nothing more to be said.

Slooms
07-03-2011, 03:17 PM
I support this idea. I'm really surprised it hasn't been added yet.

Mobius R
07-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I VERY support this idea! Signed and signed.

Physics Prop
07-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Supporting this idea so hard. The simple truth is that I would play my Steam games more, as well as buy more, if Steam had a feature like this.

Chrisegss
07-10-2011, 05:05 PM
I support this.

cl4ym4n
07-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Supporting this idea so hard. The simple truth is that I would play my Steam games more, as well as buy more, if Steam had a feature like this.

Nice try. :D

Xukubus
07-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Is this ever going to happen? I mean honestly. Is it THAT DIFFICULT to make an "appear offline" setting without it completely shutting you out from your friends list? Come on Valve. Do something useful for a change.

sparklig
08-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Bumping this.

It is ridiculous that Valve refuses to fix the Chat client and modernise it. You could get an office junior to make this change. Give us an invisible mode!

JFSOCC
08-17-2011, 02:17 AM
3 years? really Valve? did the team that is supposed to improve the chat say "right after we've finished episode 3?"
I too would very much like this option. most chat programs already have the ability to go invisible, so it's certainly not impossible to do.

as to why?
Because I don't always want to talk to everyone I know. Sometimes you have friends that whenever you go online just HAVE to chat with you. and while you would like to chat to your other friends, you may feel you just don't want to this person. That doesn't mean you want to block them either, since it could be temporary, or you don't want to hurt their feelings.
Maybe you are OK in talking to them later.

I expect more from you guys.

effr
09-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Yah steam looks almost the same as it did in 2004 when I installed HL2.

Love you guys but as above poster says we expect more... sorry, you've spoiled us!

breichart
09-09-2011, 10:03 PM
I was about to make this a new post, but I found this How has Valve not allowed this yet? I have been wanting this feature for several years now. Please add this!

statikregimen
09-28-2011, 11:17 AM
This feature would be a godsend.

One good reason for people to want and/or need this, is server operators/admins/owners, who build up large friends lists over time. My steam friends list is nearly full from running my gaming community over the past few years. I know most, if not all of the people on it, so don't want to remove them, but would be nice to game in peace sometimes or be able to maintain communication with some of my close IRL friends but not be bothered with server stuff.

Now, in retrospect, I probably should have created a 2nd account to do my server stuff, but...I didn't, so....yea, steam please add this!!!

maddest_season
10-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Throwing my vote in the ring as well. This extra layer of privacy would be really nice to have.

Antpile
11-17-2011, 02:07 PM
There is a reason that they do not add this function. Right now, every single one of us is free advertising to every single person on our friend's list any time we are playing a game.

They want our friends to see us playing a game and become interested. They'll ask us what we think about the game or they'll go check out the game's store page. This may be a game they had heard of and just didn't have much interest in before now, or it might be something new.

Either way, giving us invisibility would cut a big chunk out of all that free advertising. Why would they want that?

IIIKrazyKiDDIII
11-17-2011, 02:44 PM
There is a reason that they do not add this function. Right now, every single one of us is free advertising to every single person on our friend's list any time we are playing a game.

They want our friends to see us playing a game and become interested. They'll ask us what we think about the game or they'll go check out the game's store page. This may be a game they had heard of and just didn't have much interest in before now, or it might be something new.

Either way, giving us invisibility would cut a big chunk out of all that free advertising. Why would they want that?

Really good point.

shudder235
11-17-2011, 02:56 PM
it would be a good thing to have, i keep getting game invites from friends even though i put my status as busy or away... gets really annoying after a while.

Action2
11-17-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't think this is a good idea, I hate this in every other messaging program I have used. If you feel the need to hide from your friends you need to clean out your list or find a way to actually deal with the situation that is bothering you.

I have had over 150 friends at one point, it never bothered me. If someone pestered me too much I removed them. If I didn't feel like responding I told them that, or I just didn't respond.

No need to be sneaky with your "Friends."

I am not afraid of my friends list.

JFSOCC
11-18-2011, 02:26 AM
I don't think this is a good idea, I hate this in every other messaging program I have used. If you feel the need to hide from your friends you need to clean out your list or find a way to actually deal with the situation that is bothering you.

I have had over 150 friends at one point, it never bothered me. If someone pestered me too much I removed them. If I didn't feel like responding I told them that, or I just didn't respond.

No need to be sneaky with your "Friends."

I am not afraid of my friends list.
Well, I only have 8 friends in that list, and some of those friends are as close as brothers to me in real life. you have 150 contacts, not the same. How do you tell your best friend that you really didn't want to talk to him then? or that yes, you lied, you could have made it that day but you preferred to play I dunno, Skyrim?

You might not be bothered by socially awkward situations, but that makes you a member of the minority, I think.

Pebr
11-18-2011, 07:47 AM

That is an interesting point but is that so much different than someone just not signing in to their friends list?

If advertising was as important to them as you described above then you would think that signing into friends would be a mandatory feature. The fact that you can sign out while playing games makes an invisible feature essentially the same in terms of a marketing strategy.

Action2
11-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Well, I only have 8 friends in that list, and some of those friends are as close as brothers to me in real life. you have 150 contacts, not the same. How do you tell your best friend that you really didn't want to talk to him then? or that yes, you lied, you could have made it that day but you preferred to play I dunno, Skyrim?

You might not be bothered by socially awkward situations, but that makes you a member of the minority, I think.

If you have issues dealing with situations like that, in my opinion you are not as close as you say you are.

I may have many contacts but some do include my best friends from high school as well. Just the same though, I am not afraid of doing something other than what they want. You say you are close like brothers but you want to hide from them on your steam friends list? Dealing with something like that is easy though in my opinion. Tell them the truth, don't hide what you want or who you are.

In response to Pebr, one difference is it doesn't allow one to skulk around viewing or chatting with other friends in some sneaky manner. In my opinion that is how it should be. If a person doesn't want to appear online then they should just sign out or delete the contacts that are causing the issue making them want to be invisible.

JFSOCC
11-18-2011, 09:26 AM
If you have issues dealing with situations like that, in my opinion you are not as close as you say you are.

really, what about family, have you never ignored a phone call from a sibling or parent? said you'd be away when you weren't, or just didn't feel like talking to them?

but really the argument that YOU feel it's necessary is moot, there are OTHERS who feel it is necessary, and a substantial enough amount to warrant the feature, in my opinion. you might not need it, but others feel they do.

Action2
11-18-2011, 09:37 AM
really, what about family, have you never ignored a phone call from a sibling or parent? said you'd be away when you weren't, or just didn't feel like talking to them?

but really the argument that YOU feel it's necessary is moot, there are OTHERS who feel it is necessary, and a substantial enough amount to warrant the feature, in my opinion. you might not need it, but others feel they do.

The family metaphor doesn't have much relevance here so I will leave it at that.

As far as the invisibility feature, what does appearing offline and having the ability to chat solve that the current "away" "Busy" and signing out does not?

Pebr
11-18-2011, 09:42 AM
In response to Pebr, one difference is it doesn't allow one to skulk around viewing or chatting with other friends in some sneaky manner. In my opinion that is how it should be. If a person doesn't want to appear online then they should just sign out or delete the contacts that are causing the issue making them want to be invisible.

Steam is the equivalent of going to the cinema with every one of your friends and family every time you go to see a movie without an option of going alone or with a select person.

This isn't about skulking around and it's not about having issues with anyone. Family issues, fake friends etc. really has nothing to do with this.

if anything a "Privacy Groups" option would be a better idea where you can sign into a "Location" where you are visible to only a select group. Say you wanted to play only with your work colleagues or just your family members etc...

Action2
11-18-2011, 09:50 AM

This isn't about skulking around and it's not about having issues with anyone. Family issues, fake friends etc. really has nothing to do with this.

if anything a "Privacy Groups" option would be a better idea where you can sign into a "Location" where you are visible to only a select group. Say you wanted to play only with your work colleagues or just your family members etc...

Well if you want to play with a select group there is nothing preventing you from doing so right now. You have to tell others that want to join what is going on, or what you are doing. The only privacy issue that I might agree with is the ability to not show what game you are playing, but even that is a bit far.

You even have steam groups to readily see who is around or not to catagorize your friends.

Appearing offline and chatting is way to far though, there isn't much merit when you can achieve similar results with current means available.

=DirtY*DawG=
11-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Well if you want to play with a select group there is nothing preventing you from doing so right now. You have to tell others that want to join what is going on, or what you are doing. The only privacy issue that I might agree with is the ability to not show what game you are playing, but even that is a bit far.

You even have steam groups to readily see who is around or not to catagorize your friends.

Appearing offline and chatting is way to far though, there isn't much merit when you can achieve similar results with current means available.

Apparantly 12 pages of folks stating their desire for this feature means absolutely nothing to you as you continuously look for every reason imaginable to downplay and/or argue against the merit in it. Most of your major chat/IM programs have an ivisibility feature (ICQ, MSN, AIM, Yahoo, etc) Obviously enough people use this, nobody is reinventing the wheel here. Seriously dude, give us all break and open your eyes already.

chibi_charon
11-30-2011, 04:49 AM

I understand the necessity. I play competitive CSS as well as gaming casually. When I have a match on it would be nice to be able to go temporarily invisible so people don't keep bugging me to come play TF2 or whatever while I'm concentrating. Most of my friends now know to leave me alone on match day but s new friends come it still happens. Invisible mode would be handy, even more handy would be invisible mode with a group exception so my clan members can still see me as the "join game" function is handy for when we have an off match.

Basiclife
01-05-2012, 07:38 AM
If anything a "Privacy Groups" option would be a better idea where you can sign into a "Location" where you are visible to only a select group. Say you wanted to play only with your work colleagues or just your family members etc...

Very nice idea - and probably easier to implement.

pragzor
01-05-2012, 07:39 AM
/Signed

Pingpong0101
01-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I agree.

flashn00b
01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I dunno how this would work, but I think this would require servers to remember offline messages when someone signs in, cuz the implementation of an invisible status would have to have you be able to leave a message.

deagle_King
01-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Not too shabby, I might say. +1

rockhopper
01-18-2012, 03:15 AM
I would like this function too

ShuRugal
02-14-2012, 07:30 PM
bumping for support.

seriously, three year old request thread with a dozen pages supporting the request? why the hell is this not implemented yet?

eglarest
02-17-2012, 04:23 PM
i would also like taht feature!

uncledebdeb
02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
This feature should have been added long ago. I want to be able to hide from certain friends so that I can play with other friends without being invited to play with ppl I'm not in the mood to game with.

OrphanedLand
02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
good idea, if we could do that with ICQ over a decade ago, why cant we do it with steam?

MartinKhan
02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
MartinKhan approves this idea!

Isstrati
02-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Nice suggestion.

Ryanburd1
02-23-2012, 03:05 PM
/Signed

I would love this feature !!!

=)

Carpetfizz
02-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Yes, please! Valve, this would be a fantastic addition, @Steam Community, please keep this thread alive, we need to get it noticed. Steam's Friends system is great and all, but there ARE some of those times where you just want to play without telling the world what you're doing.

MartinKhan
02-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Yes, please! Valve, this would be a fantastic addition, @Steam Community, please keep this thread alive, we need to get it noticed. Steam's Friends system is great and all, but there ARE some of those times where you just want to play without telling the world what you're doing.

Yes, I agree. I'm sometimes afraid of starting up TF2 because I'll immediately get tons of trade requests.

Demosthenes928
03-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Bump.

With so much support, one has to wonder why Valve is ignoring this.

Carpetfizz
03-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah it's kinda crazy, maybe they don't know how, JK, cause they know how to make HL3 *hint* *hint*

99Reaper99
03-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I'd like it. Nice to have some privacy every then and now as said. Pretty much every other chat application has it.

DrogenViech
03-12-2012, 02:22 PM
I want this too!

bunburying
03-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Decades from now when I'm old and grey, I'll log onto Steam again. Despite the cataracts which are slowly making me blind, I will just barely be able to read that the option to appear offline was patched in that morning. The shock from this will cause a fatal heart attack. However, I will die happy.

ubiquity
03-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Please implement this into Steam!

atomicshell
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
im surprised this feature isnt implemented yet. i really dont like having to be rude to my friends when i would rather play alone.

Carpetfizz
03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Hmm I was thinking about this a while ago, and realized that this might actually kill the point of Steam. Imagine if everyone started going invisible, then the whole revolutionary join and invite to game process, trading, and all that stuff would be ruined. True, that most people won't abuse it, but adding this could possible destroy the Steam Community feature that Valve spent all these years building. As you can see a few posts above, I was a complete support of this idea, apart from the HL3 delay criticism lol, and I still am. But, this was just a thought to put into your minds, and think about it from Valve's point of view...

GusTheCrocodile
03-23-2012, 01:49 AM
Hmm I was thinking about this a while ago, and realized that this might actually kill the point of Steam. Imagine if everyone started going invisible, then the whole revolutionary join and invite to game process, trading, and all that stuff would be ruined. True, that most people won't abuse it, but adding this could possible destroy the Steam Community feature that Valve spent all these years building. As you can see a few posts above, I was a complete support of this idea, apart from the HL3 delay criticism lol, and I still am. But, this was just a thought to put into your minds, and think about it from Valve's point of view...The same way being able to go invisible on basically every instant messenger client ever made has destroyed those networks, yes?

Nothing's getting destroyed, and I really can't see the logic here. If a person A doesn't wish to be contacted by person B at the moment, including being invited to games, trading, whatever...then if they're not allowed to be invisible and instead have to be just "online", do you really think they're going to just joyfully partake when B happens to see them online and invites them to something? Of course not, they don't want to play, they don't want to talk. People not playing with each other when they don't feel like it hasn't destroyed Steam Community so far, and it wouldn't with an invisible feature in place either.

Redviper
03-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Past time this was implemented.

MartinKhan
03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Hmm I was thinking about this a while ago, and realized that this might actually kill the point of Steam. Imagine if everyone started going invisible, then the whole revolutionary join and invite to game process, trading, and all that stuff would be ruined. True, that most people won't abuse it, but adding this could possible destroy the Steam Community feature that Valve spent all these years building. As you can see a few posts above, I was a complete support of this idea, apart from the HL3 delay criticism lol, and I still am. But, this was just a thought to put into your minds, and think about it from Valve's point of view...

That's an exaggeration. And first of all, Steam was meant to play games, the community features were added with time. If that would destroy Steam, why didn't the ability to appear offline (until you start a game) did it? If you don't want your friends to see you playing, you should be able to do so. Sometimes, I want to play TF2 alone, yet as soon as I start it I get spammed with trade requests (and not from my friends only).

Carpetfizz
03-23-2012, 08:46 PM
I was never discouraging the idea of not having the invisibility feature. Being surprised as to how Valve hasn't implemented it yet, I was trying to think why wouldn't they have, instead of just complaining. My idea was simply a different perspective on the issue.

Blackbird68
03-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Please add this. Most IM programs have it and it's really useful.

atomicshell
04-01-2012, 04:33 AM
i also dont understand why steam MUST show you as in game in offline mode, most people i think would be happy enough with a real offline mode, even being disconnected from the rest of their friends list. not everyone wants to play games socially each and every time they play a game!

s333ftricky
04-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Would be nice if when I quit steam it didn't update last online time when friends is set to Offline as well, kinda defeats purpose of trying to look offline..

lstplace
04-01-2012, 07:37 PM
agreed this should be an option

MoustachioMunch
04-02-2012, 04:41 AM
/Signed.

bradleypariah
04-08-2012, 01:48 AM
This thread is nearly three years old - it appears Valve is not paying attention, but

/signed

Waaper
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Hey If i want to play my games at 6am in the morning, why the fudge shouldn't I do that without some geezer messaging me about it?

kolbstomp
04-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Here's one... Origin already has this, why you slow Valve?!

stonefree
04-13-2012, 09:15 AM
why is this taking so long? -__-

Carpetfizz
04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Free bump, VALVE LOOK AT THIS!!!

starunit995a
04-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I support your idea 100% I wold love to play some non steam games and be able to connect invisibly to steam while i play :cool:

starunit995a
04-13-2012, 02:22 PM
I support your idea 100% I wold love to play some non steam games and be able to connect invisibly to steam while i play

stonefree
04-20-2012, 09:06 AM
seriously whats taking so long?

Blackbird68
06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Please Valve add this already :(

scheppart
07-03-2012, 06:36 AM
yes! one up!

TX1
07-03-2012, 05:05 PM
+Support

Buntfunk
07-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Do it.

ElijahChondo43
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I support this.

Sometimes you don't want to be bothered but also be online and check statuses of others.

YeeWuu
07-04-2012, 12:39 AM
And also, after you logout through steam, give an option to not show that "online before 2 min" etc stuff. i don't want my friends to know that i have logined to steam today.

SneakyVex
07-04-2012, 03:13 AM
this would be a great idea!
you could play online but your friends would see you on steam.
this is good when you just want to "chill" and dont get disturbed by messages or clan war requests.

SneakyVex
07-04-2012, 03:15 AM
And also, after you logout through steam, give an option to not show that "online before 2 min" etc stuff. i don't want my friends to know that i have logined to steam today.
before you log in there should be a option "invisible", and the log in time wouldn't change.
example you logged in 2days ago, you go today but in "invisible mode" and you could play online but that would say the same time.

Shipwrecksos
07-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Heck, even Origin has an "Invisible" mode. If you're getting outdone by EA Origin, that's a slap in the face right there.

dirtyhoudini
07-06-2012, 09:00 PM
This is a good idea

ubermario
07-11-2012, 09:57 AM
+1 support. I dont see why this isn't on the sticky.

Pebr
07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
+1 support. I dont see why this isn't on the sticky.

The fact that they haven't added this to the "Already requested" sticky thread i wouldn't be too hopeful. It doesn't seem like they've even seen this thread...

S1ckm4n
07-12-2012, 09:39 AM
support +1

HamsterBite
07-17-2012, 12:16 PM
This suggestion has been posted again and again, but completely ignored by Steam. I think it's safe to say that they don't intend to implement this ever.

CAB00SE
07-17-2012, 03:43 PM
graet idea

Karrillion
08-12-2012, 03:24 PM
+1

Steam is like effing spyware for everyone to see what you're doing. They really need to implement better privacy controls like every messenger has.

AsianBorat
08-18-2012, 08:32 PM
I shouldn't have to sign out of my friends list to appear offline. Why the hell is this not implemented?

g0dless420
08-22-2012, 09:36 PM
"Appear Offline Mode" for President in 2012...er wait I mean... please add this option.

tuishimi
09-24-2012, 11:30 AM
+1 I'd like this too.

Lusken
09-25-2012, 02:19 AM
They've added "look to play/trade" so please add this feature :)!

helinkin
09-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Good!!

Joebama
09-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Definitely support this. Been waiting for ages for it to be finally implemented.

June
10-06-2012, 02:44 PM
PLEASE let's finally add this.

max2
10-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Just accept it people this will never be added. They however did add looking to play/trade! :D

Captain Morti
10-07-2012, 08:40 AM
/agree

grokly
10-23-2012, 06:19 PM
I agree too.. there are a couple of people who I just don't want to come find me at certain times, but not others. They are really good for certain situations, but not appropriate for others. I don't want to go into it beyond that.. I need to just appear invisible to a couple of people so that I don't have to deal with their ♥♥♥♥ right now. Is that so out of the ordinary? Gimma a break dood

Mastur Cheef
10-23-2012, 07:37 PM
This is a very smart idea, so that no one bothers you will your doing something like making a Garry's Mod Machinima, then they won't interrupt you on purpose because they know your making a video and they will leave your "offline" account alone.

SporkinatorBZ
11-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Just add the feature already! I need this as well.

ava adore
12-02-2012, 08:03 AM
yeah. Steam should make this possible.. Some friends are just too annoying. but they are still friends.. It's like, can't live with them, but can't live without them...

AngryBlackMan
12-03-2012, 07:49 AM
when something like this goes unimplemented since what, 2009? and it's almost 2013? i think that's steams way of telling you to go suck a fat one. not that i agree; im just putting a name to the face.

T1xe
02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
I support this idea, or at least the ability to hide your In-game status.

YES!! THATS WHAT I NEED!!!

des0lar
02-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Please add this

Sgt. Seriox
02-23-2013, 03:17 PM
I support this

StabMasterJozzz
06-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Please add this!

Tesseractor
09-22-2013, 10:53 PM
I support this as well.

Satoru
09-23-2013, 04:25 AM
The friends list already has an offline mode

jpoon78
09-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Please add this feature. No need to dodge it, just give all the 17 pages of people what they keep asking for, please!