PDA

View Full Version : How does Half-Life 2 make you feel?

Brent707
07-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm just curious to see if Half-Life 2 is more than just a game to some people. To me, Half-Life 2 was the beginning of who I am. Half-Life, as a series, was the catalyst of why I got into games and computers. The game relaxed me and still does today. It must be the combination of sound effects and atmosphere which make me reminisce the days when I was young, worry free and tbh happy. I'm not really sure why, but I love it, and will never get tired of it.

Is this the same with somebody else, or just weird old me?

Rillow
07-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Your totally right. HL2 is just so awesome! The characters the story the everything!! Man I just want to play it now... In fact you've inspired me to beat it again. Which I'm going to go do right now.

Shammah
07-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Half-Life 2 makes me feel just as much as Half-Life 3 and Half-Life 4

;__;

Naruto32bit
07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
For me, Half Life 2 is average at best.

VonVentrue
07-25-2009, 11:00 AM

It's a good game to be sure. With that said, the original Half-life is superior in every way (save the graphics&physics department).

bobsmith101
07-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I love all the Half life series. When I play it, it just brings back good memories of when I first played it.

Suomis
07-25-2009, 11:16 AM
When I finished Half Life 2, I was like "finally its over". I had it stalling for a long long time but then decided to finish it. It was a decent game, but a game amongst the others... I should finish ep 1 and 2 though...

andyg85
07-25-2009, 03:42 PM

Basing that in depth analysis on what?

nightcabbage
07-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Somewhere between sensuously trepidatious and productively disheveled.

mimaz98
07-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Half-Life 2 isn't a game. I don't think it's even an experience. It's pure artistic ingeuinity. Vicarious, Visceral and Individualistic. Half-Life is one of the very few things in my life that I am profoundly and unwaveringly passionate about.

It's a good game to be sure. With that said, the original Half-life is superior in every way (save the graphics&physics department).

No, really it isn't.

BAMFHuitt
07-26-2009, 12:53 AM
There's nothing like walking through Ravenholm when you're out of ammo, looking for saw blades. It's the spine-tingling goose bumpy feeling no other game has given me.

Gordon He-Man
07-26-2009, 06:25 AM

Sorry, mimaz...gotta go with Von here.

nightcabbage
07-26-2009, 09:27 AM
What you're feeling is nostalgia... because HL2 was a better game.

For instance, had they both been released at the same time (so that you could have played them one after the other in 1998), you would be singing a different tune.

Blarg Blargson
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
It's the only game I've ever played that really put me in the role of an action-movie hero. Other games have since outdone Half-Life 2 in other ways, but I've yet to see any other game that put as much attention to detail into the cinematography and pacing of a game as HL2 did. The only downside to this approach is that, in some ways, HL2 discourages exploration. Taking the time to meander around can break the flow of a game and pull you out of the "Movie" experience.

This wasn't as big of a problem in the HL2 episodes, though, now that I think about it...

Scourge of God
07-26-2009, 06:17 PM

Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking.

VonVentrue
07-27-2009, 06:51 AM
What you're feeling is nostalgia... because HL2 was a better game.

For instance, had they both been released at the same time (so that you could have played them one after the other in 1998), you would be singing a different tune.

Uh-huh. What makes HL2 special? Better graphix? Physics? Gravity gun? Obligatory "this is how you use TEH NEW WEAPUN, we're assuming you're incapable of figuring it out yourself" TUTORIALS?

1) The original Half-life conveyed the feeling of an ordinary man struggling for survival. It was an incredibly immersive, personal experience.
In HL2, Gordon's a typical action hero, an errand boy - go there, do this, blow this up, drive there, meet somebody somewhere. You're always told exactly what to do. Talk about hand-holding through the entire game.
2) The puzzles in HL actually made sense given the situation. Not only did they often required some thought, all pieces of said puzzles were natural parts of environments.
Half-life 2 features nothing but recycled, boring playground-style physics-related puzzles.
3) More HL2 criticism:
- Ravenholm feels completely out of place, tossed in for the sheer sake of variety.
- Level design tends to be boring more often than not, moreover, some especially uninteresting levels drag on and on.
- the AI is flat-out DUMB, I've always been under the impression enemies in the original HL were a lot smarter and more difficult to defeat.
- lack of memorable "wow" moments - see the resonance cascade, soldiers invading Black Mesa, the encounter with elite units for reference.

Nostalgia my ♥♥♥.

nightcabbage
07-27-2009, 07:47 AM
While I agree with your assessment of HL and why it is such a great game (even if it is a bit layman), your points for HL2 are rather agitating and poorly thought out, pointing toward preference rather than objective critique. However, I'm sure there are plenty of other forum members with time on their hands that are willing to argue with you and pick apart your rather weak bullet point list (if you browse this forum enough, you'll find it isn't uncommon to have someone rebuttal with a post 4 times as long as yours.)

I, however, am not willing.

Winterkid
07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Uh.... it makes me feel like a schoolboy again?

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU ASKING FOR?

Blue_Bolt
07-29-2009, 04:38 PM
@ nightcabbage

Nevertheless, he answered the thread's question.:)

"How does Half-Life 2 make you feel?"

Ooooold... and eager for more.

MADDOGGE
07-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Uh-huh. What makes HL2 special? Better graphix? Physics? Gravity gun? Obligatory "this is how you use TEH NEW WEAPUN, we're assuming you're incapable of figuring it out yourself" TUTORIALS?

1) The original Half-life conveyed the feeling of an ordinary man struggling for survival. It was an incredibly immersive, personal experience.
In HL2, Gordon's a typical action hero, an errand boy - go there, do this, blow this up, drive there, meet somebody somewhere. You're always told exactly what to do. Talk about hand-holding through the entire game.
2) The puzzles in HL actually made sense given the situation. Not only did they often required some thought, all pieces of said puzzles were natural parts of environments.
Half-life 2 features nothing but recycled, boring playground-style physics-related puzzles.
3) More HL2 criticism:
- Ravenholm feels completely out of place, tossed in for the sheer sake of variety.
- Level design tends to be boring more often than not, moreover, some especially uninteresting levels drag on and on.
- the AI is flat-out DUMB, I've always been under the impression enemies in the original HL were a lot smarter and more difficult to defeat.
- lack of memorable "wow" moments - see the resonance cascade, soldiers invading Black Mesa, the encounter with elite units for reference.

Nostalgia my ♥♥♥.Yes but tell us what you really think about it. Don't hold back!! We are tough and can take it.

gordon_frohman
07-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Half-Life 2 isn't a game. I don't think it's even an experience. It's pure artistic ingeuinity. Vicarious, Visceral and Individualistic. Half-Life is one of the very few things in my life that I am profoundly and unwaveringly passionate about.

No, really it isn't.

Even more than a religion?

HL2 is more than just a game, it is an experience. i wouldnt put it on the highest pedestal like you did, though :P

mimaz98
07-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I said one of 'few things'. Certainly family, friends, education and beliefs are more important. In regards to interests, passions etc, it classifies as such though.

KMCA
07-29-2009, 10:35 PM

Black Mesa is coming out eventually *cough cough*
HL1 is a classic that should be replayed once a year at the least

Zekiran
07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Half Life 2 is the gateway drug that got me into Valve's games. :)

I really think that HL2 is far and away a better game experience than 1 was, in pretty much every way.

** Voice acting, and a script which actually made sense and had feeling behind it.
** Incredible grahpics.
** Physics that *worked*.

The progression of storytelling in it is just amazing and flawless.

Half Life 1 was fun - I'm never going to say otherwise. But it had no plot beyond "get out through all this nutball stuff". It made no sense to have any of those "traps" and distressing items in any facility.

Going through some of them reminds me of the Galaxy Quest scene...
Gwen DeMarco: What is this thing? There's no useful purpose for there to be a bunch of chompy, crushy things in the middle of a hallway!
Jason Nesmith: Gwen —
Gwen DeMarco: No! I mean, we shouldn't have to do this! It makes no logical sense! Why is it here?!
Jason Nesmith: Because it's on the television show.
Gwen DeMarco: Well, forget it! I'm not doing it! This episode was BADLY WRITTEN!

It was a fun shooter/puzzle game, but alone it didn't really do anything for me. I can't imagine I'd ever have played it without having first played HL2.

nightcabbage
07-30-2009, 09:09 AM
That's always a shame... when I hear of a fan who got into HL because of HL2 and not the original. I wish you all could have been there to experience HL when it was released. HL2 would have meant even more to you when you first played it I think.

MADDOGGE
07-30-2009, 09:29 AM
That's always a shame... when I hear of a fan who got into HL because of HL2 and not the original. I wish you all could have been there to experience HL when it was released. HL2 would have meant even more to you when you first played it I think.

Yes I still remember with awe the amazing feeling I had when I played HL1 for the very first time at release. Very different from my other games in a way I couldn't describe. I wanted more and then came OP followed by BS. I was in heaven. The same universe but from different perspectives. Then forever later HL2. I wish I could recapture the feel of my first run through of HL1. Oh well I still have the memories!:D

Zekiran
07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
It really wouldn't. I have never played shooters - my only other experience with them before I played HL2 last year for the first time, was the ORIGINAL Doom. And I sucked at it. I avoided that kind of game simply because it wasn't of much interest to me.

I'd rather have the nostalgia feeling for a better, more scripted and well thought out game like HL2, than just a puzzle/shooter like its predecessor. Yes, there were some faint inklings of story bits, but basically it was a get the heck out while you can kind of game and not much more. The mod releases of OP4 and Blue Shift certainly helped to make my experience of it well rounded, and like I said, I still love the game - just nowhere near as much as I enjoyed the better bits out of the newer one.

MADDOGGE
07-30-2009, 11:59 AM
It really wouldn't. I have never played shooters - my only other experience with them before I played HL2 last year for the first time, was the ORIGINAL Doom. And I sucked at it. I avoided that kind of game simply because it wasn't of much interest to me.

I'd rather have the nostalgia feeling for a better, more scripted and well thought out game like HL2, than just a puzzle/shooter like its predecessor. Yes, there were some faint inklings of story bits, but basically it was a get the heck out while you can kind of game and not much more. The mod releases of OP4 and Blue Shift certainly helped to make my experience of it well rounded, and like I said, I still love the game - just nowhere near as much as I enjoyed the better bits out of the newer one.If you are not much of a FPS fan then hell yes you had a hard time with Doom! Those damn Goat things are aweful in a confined place. LOL I've had Doom since it's release also, and even I a FPS ho don't bother tring to play it on it's hardest anymore. I play for fun not torture.:eek: Games were much harder to beat in the "old" days than they are now. Easier games these days mean potentially more players, pure econ. 101 stuff. Even so, there was some study referanced on one of the threads here showing data on how many games get bought and never get finished and it's a large. percentage.

Nyarlathotep666
07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Hey guys, do you remember the HL1 physics? How when you would push a box, it would slide all the way across the room? Seriously, it reminded me of that Gameboy Conker game. That being said... I think both storylines have something to offer. HL1 is your stereotypical "oh monsters come out of (practically) nowhere; go kill them" plot, although it did add something interesting with the soldiers killing the scientists. HL2 is the "fight against evil empire" plot.
Actually, now that I think about it, both games' plots are basically stereotypical science-fiction novels. You KNOW you've read something like them.
And yes; what you're feeling is nostalgia... even if you've played it recently, first impressions are most important.

Half-Life 2 is, while not one of my favorite games, still fun in my mind. It's not exactly an "experience" for me, though.

Zekiran
07-30-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm sure that I appreciate the presence of physics that work, having played 2 before 1, but yeah I will admit that has a huge amount to do with my outright enjoyment of one over the other.

Of course right now, I'm replaying HL2 and am stuck - very stuck until I choose my 'cheater' version with cheats on - at Nova Prospekt with the wave upon wave of attakers. Of course, some of that stuckness is my mouse - my awesome 9-button gaming mouse went belly up a couple months ago and the new one I have is just a plain old browsing mouse. It does NOT help.

penguinuprising
08-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Ravenholm makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. If only i could drop cars on zombies all day. (I will sometimes spawn them with console to continue the smash fest)

Vonnick
08-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Half-Life 2 makes me feel dead sexy.

S1lent_An0ra
08-05-2009, 09:30 AM
There's nothing like walking through Ravenholm when you're out of ammo, looking for saw blades. It's the spine-tingling goose bumpy feeling no other game has given me.

I'm totaly agree with you m8.

EyeWierd
08-05-2009, 05:38 PM
The first time I played through HL2, I think I went back and played Revenholm once or twice more before I continued on to the next part of the game.
I wish Revenholm was longer... :(

arisaka
08-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I loved HL2. The plot, the graphics, the gameplay, the characters...It's just amazing how a mortal can make something so EPIC.

I want HL1. >.>

identicon77
08-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, you see good sirs and ma'ams.....

*cough* I played HL2 first along with E1 and E2, *cough* and um, *yawn* um, yeah *cough* I like HL1 better. *cough*

Graphics mean almost nothing to me, as long as I can make out whats going on, I'm good.

As for how it makes me feel. First understand I am one of those people who ask "How did this happen" all the time. So really half life makes me feel a tad afraid, and mostly mellow, like a calm sadness, but when I fight along side rebels I get a feeling of erm, "ZOMG LETS KILL US ZOM BAD GUYZ"

@ Ravenholm: When I got there I was like, oh great a generic zombeh shoot em' up. But thanks to the good father, it was made "OK" I still think its a bit out of place, along with all the "Lets kill us some zombehz!" moments. However, when I turn around and there is that ONE zombie you missed I often say, "oh hai, didn't see u come in thar!" :D

Lordmarkus
08-07-2009, 06:12 PM
It makes me whole.

JIH 4 LIFE
08-08-2009, 01:29 AM
HL2 is da best game I ever seen ... it's a nice game ... really nice ... da storyline ... da graphics .. & ofcourse da characters...
it's the perfect game & it's hard to create a game like it again.

OllyTrolly
08-08-2009, 11:05 AM
How I feel about Half-Life 2?
Hmmm. It just sorta represents the pinnacle in variety, level design, story-telling, character-building and interesting set-pieces in the FPS genre (and perhaps the whole of gaming).

Admittedly though, in pure action and shooting (and for obvious reasons, graphics and physics), it's been outgunned by newer games - the one coming to mind being Crysis.

But basically HL2 possesses all the timeless features that you need in a game for it be seen as a fantastic game for ages to come.

SpeedFleX
08-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Half-Life to me is not a game, it's a lifestyle!

If the world is every attacked by aliens, I hope the world will have the same settings Half-Life does...^^

Xman
08-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Half-Life 2 makes me feel warm inside. It stands out from the other games and its too underrated.

mimaz98
08-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Underrated? Alright, whatever you say.

08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
im not even a massive gamer..just a big half life freak. since the first game ive been obsessed. its like a drug, i play half life 2 at least once a month lol. gotta get my fix.

GIRAFFE OF GOD
08-10-2009, 05:30 AM
I'm just curious to see if Half-Life 2 is more than just a game to some people. To me, Half-Life 2 was the beginning of who I am. Half-Life, as a series, was the catalyst of why I got into games and computers. The game relaxed me and still does today. It must be the combination of sound effects and atmosphere which make me reminisce the days when I was young, worry free and tbh happy. I'm not really sure why, but I love it, and will never get tired of it.

Is this the same with somebody else, or just weird old me?

Wow. Its just a game. Not the Aeneid.

Sasso
08-10-2009, 05:54 AM
I sort of emphasise with Brent. Half Life's atmosphere etc are mood changing.

macic666dp
07-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Half-Life 1

IS

BETTER.

MoscowComrade
07-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Half-Life 1

IS

BETTER.

Excellent argument. I found your usage of supporting evidence made it absolutely irrefutable. This will surely be a philosophical treatise studied by the generations to come.

Winterkid
07-04-2010, 06:12 PM
HL2 made me feel happy about the money I spent, unlike Bioshock 2.

Laguna Company
07-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Wow. Its just a game. Not the Aeneid.

One could argue that Aeneid is just a poem. Art of all kinds has the power to influence and inspire people.

Luroberto
07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Half-Life in a whole completes me.

ThatoneJeff
07-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Half-Life 1

IS

BETTER.

Oh Really?
I would much rather play through the DREADFUL "Water Hazard"
100 times than "On a Rail" once

MADDOGGE
07-06-2010, 08:57 PM
There's nothing like walking through Ravenholm when you're out of ammo, looking for saw blades. It's the spine-tingling goose bumpy feeling no other game has given me.How in the world do you run out of ammo?:eek:

What you're feeling is nostalgia... because HL2 was a better game.Nah, I love HL2 for the story, characters, graphics but I love HL1 more. It's harder for me to love something that is unfinished. When HL2 series is complete I'll reevaluate. With the imo awful car driving and the final annoying strider battle at WF it's going to have to pull out the stops in the near mythical Ep3 for me to change my mind.