PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 information

rotNdude
07-26-2009, 04:04 PM
This thread is devoted to Windows 7 information, help and tips.

While Steam is not "officially" supported on Windows 7 yet, I have heard no reports that Steam will not work on Windows 7.

History
After the Windows XP operating system was developed and released by Microsoft in August 2001, there was nearly a 5-year lag before they released Vista. When Vista was finally released in November 2006, upper management at Microsoft made a commitment that they would get back to a 3-year development and release cycle. Windows 7 is now staying on that timeline. In defense of Vista and the development cycle, it introduced a completely new driver model and new kernel and it was simply a constantly moving target that management didn't control.

What's new?
Windows 7 is, in simple terms, a transition OS that builds on what Vista has to offer. The kernel is basically the same, the driver model is basically the same and many of the things you'll find in Windows 7 are already in Vista. So what are the big differences? The biggest advances to me are Touch and Handwriting recognition. Other than that, there are minor improvements to the overall user experience and options in some of the built-in applications in Windows. Here is a pretty good writeup on it:

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/faq.asp

Back to the driver model, most Vista drivers are compatible with Windows 7. Therefore, if you can't find the appropriate driver designated for Windows 7 just try the Vista drivers.

The other thing you may have questions about is regarding DirectX. Windows 7 will ship with DirectX 11. You can only run in DirectX 11 mode if you have a DirectX 11 capable video card. This is no different than any other previous release of Windows or a new release of DirectX. ATI will be shipping the first DirectX 11 capable video cards slightly prior to the Windows 7 release and nVidia will be shipping them slightly later. The other thing to remember is that you don't need a DirectX 11 card to run Windows 7, it will revert to whatever DirectX level of video card you have and your games (depending on what they need for video card requirements) will also run at that DirectX level.

What should I be aware of?
Windows 7 reached RTM (Release to Manufacture) status on July 22, 2009. What that means is it's going to begin being produced on DVDs and images will be available for distribution to the industry. The OEMs (system builders) will be the first to receive the Windows 7 distribution copies on July 24, 2009, and then the public retail market (General Availability) will be able to obtain it on October 22, 2009. If you would like additional details, please refer to this:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/rtm_availability.asp

If you are purchasing a new PC from an OEM or building your own system, make sure the OS you are getting is upgradeable to Windows 7.

If you are itching to try Windows 7, the RC (Release candidate) version will be available for download and trial from Microsoft until August 20, 2009. This version of Windows 7 will expire on March 1, 2010.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

Are there other things to consider?
Yes, this OS is very similar to Vista and with any OS, you need to seriously consider the hardware you are running in your computer and what benefits this OS offers you. There are several versions of Windows 7:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

I heard that EU versions will not ship with IE?
While that maybe true, the OS will still ship with the underlying IE functionality to render Steam items in the Steam platform. Don't worry about that, but you may need to download an Internet Browser to be able to surf the web.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/e_preview.asp

Microsoft has offered to ballot users as to what Internet browser they wish to use on instillation. This means IE may come installed, but will later be disabled if the user so chooses.

Microsoft in new EU browser offer (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8168235.stm)

The commission is still deciding on the offer, so no one really knows what is up.

Microsoft Proposal to European Commission
(http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2009/jul09/07-24statement.mspx)

It now seems that Microsoft has decided to scrap plans for Windows 7 E and give Europe the full version that everyone else has - Source (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/08/01/microsoft-scraps-windows-7-e-version-for-europe).

Interesting news regarding the European version:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-327654.html

Pricing?
This is what I know to date:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/ptech/06/25/cnet.windows7.pricing.upgrade/

Upgrade: When boxed copies of Windows 7 go on sale on October 22, Microsoft plans to charge $119 for Home Premium, $199 for Professional and $219 for Ultimate.

The Home Premium upgrade is down $40 from the product's original price, although the Vista product had already gotten a price cut along the way. The Professional and Ultimate versions are priced similar to where Microsoft was with

Vista.

Full license: The full versions of Windows 7--the editions for those without a copy of Windows -- will be priced at $199 for Home Premium, $299 for Professional and $319 for Ultimate. The Ultimate and Professional editions are

again on par with their Vista counterparts, while Home Premium is down from the $239 that Microsoft had charged with Vista.

EU customers: Things are trickier in Europe, where Microsoft has said it will only ship a special "E" version, which has the browser removed. Because of that, Microsoft is requiring all users to do a clean installation of the product. So there, Microsoft has said it will offer the full version of Windows 7 for the upgrade price.

Suggestions for improving this thread?
Just post them and I'll give them consideration with recognition to the poster. I will also keep adding to this thread as things come to mind.

rotNdude
07-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Upgrading to Windows 7
Compliments of Mangr0v3:

Upgrading from Windows XP or earlier
You cannot perform a direct upgrade from Windows XP or earlier to Windows 7, rather you need to backup all your data and perform a clean installation of Windows 7.

Upgrading from Windows Vista
Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 requires Service Pack 1 or 2 installed. You can upgrade:

Vista Home Basic to 7 Home Basic, 7 Home Premium, and 7 Ultimate.
Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium and 7 Ultimate.
Vista Business to 7 Professional, 7 Enterprise or 7 Ultimate
Vista Enterprise to 7 Ultimate
Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate

Vista Starter, Vista Home Basic N and Vista Business N cannot be upgraded to Windows 7.
You cannot upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 N, Windows 7 E, or Windows 7 KN.

Cross-Platform Upgrades
You cannot upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows, nor upgrade from a 64-bit version of Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. This requires a clean installation.

Upgrading from Windows 7 Beta/RC
Upgrading from Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 RC is officially unsupported by Microsoft, however it can be done.

So when you try to upgrade a pre-RC build you will find that you’re not able to and setup will tell you and you can then exit gracefully. You can install as a clean installation and use the Windows Easy Transfer feature as well (run this from your current installation of course) if you wish to move your accounts, settings, files, and more. To bypass the version check, the instructions below will use a mechanism that is available for enterprise customers (so we are also testing this as well). It is not a simple command line switch. We didn’t make it multi-step on purpose but wanted to stick to using proven, documented and tested mechanisms.

These instructions will be brief. Since everyone reading is a well-versed and experienced beta tester you know ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR MACHINE before running any OS installation and NEVER TEST AN OS ON YOUR ONLY COPY OF ANY DATA. Testing a pre-release product means just that—it is testing and it is pre-release. Even though this is a Release Candidate, we are still testing the product. We have very high confidence but even if an error happens once in 1,000,000 we want to make sure everyone is taking the precautions normal for a pre-release product.

One other related caution is INSTALL ONLY OFFICIALLY RELEASED BUILDS FROM MICROSOFT. It will always be tempting to get the build with the “mod” already done but you really never know what else has been done to the build. There’s a thrill in getting the latest, we know, but that also comes with risks that can’t even be quantified. For the RC we will work to release a hash or some other way to validate the build, but the best way is to always download directly from Microsoft.

Here’s what you can do to bypass the check for pre-release upgrade IF YOU REALLY REALLY NEED TO:

Download the ISO as you did previously and burn the ISO to a DVD.
Copy the whole image to a storage location you wish to run the upgrade from (a bootable flash drive or a directory on any partition on the machine running the pre-release build).
Browse to the sources directory.
Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad.
Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000 (pictured below).
Save the file in place with the same name.
Run setup like you would normally from this modified copy of the image and the version check will be bypassed.

UAC in Windows 7; Is it still just as annoying?
Compliments of AlecJ32:

Introduced in Windows Vista, UAC has quickly earned the reputation of being 'an annoyance designed to protect computer illiterate users from themselves'. Most users simply regard UAC as a 'child-safe lock' of sorts, and don't hesitate to disable it thinking they're too smart to benefit from it. Since UAC is an integral part of the Windows Vista/Windows 7 security model and contains more features than just prompting, Windows 7 allows users to adjust prompting levels to dissuade users from disabling UAC altogether.

The primary feature of UAC is split security tokens for Administrative users, which is controlled by prompting. By default, programs run with reduced privileges and must request permission for elevated privileges for tasks that require additional privileges. In Windows 7 this feature can be adjusted and comes with 4 levels to choose from:

Highest - This is the same style of prompting found in Windows Vista. The user must be prompted in order to elevate program privileges and in order for the user to change system settings. The prompting interface runs in Secure Desktop mode, to prevent applications from providing input; only the user can provide input.

High - This is the default setting. The user can change system settings without being prompted, but programs requiring elevated privileges must still prompt the user. Prompts still run in Secure Desktop mode.

Low - This setting is the same as the High setting, however, prompts do not run in the Secure Desktop mode.

Lowest - With this setting, users will not be prompted. If a program needs elevated privileges, it will simply be granted such privileges.

Like Windows Vista, Windows 7 also allows you to require that credentials be entered in order to click allow on a UAC prompt.

marie pavie
07-26-2009, 04:22 PM
A couple a blogs...
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/default.aspx
http://windows7blog.net/

TheMG
07-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Good post, lots of information. I would probably add a small statement saying that most Vista drivers are Win7 compatible though, lots of people seem to be asking that question.

What that means is it going to begin being burned to DVDs and images for distribution to the industry.

Sorry for nitpicking, but it's stamped not burned. Mass-produced CDs/DVDs are produced by a stamping process.

f12dude
07-26-2009, 04:39 PM
With the upgrade dvd's, can I reinstall windows without having to install xp again?

MADDOGGE
07-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Do both the 32 and 64 bit versions come on the disk? Thats always been comfusing for me because I'm wanting the 64 bit version. If I get the HP version can I later upgrade to the Ultimate? Isn't that possible on Vista? I'm used to the beta/RC Ultimate and really don't know what difference I might or might not see in the HP version. The list of diffences on the charts don't really relate well to actual experiance if that makes any sense to you. I'm not running a business. It's just for my games, internet and a little multimedia.

Anything new about the "family" packs for up to three machines. If so could I put 32 bit on one and 64 on the other two rigs with the same licence?

Sierra Oscar
07-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Awesome thread.

Just on the IE for Europeans issue, Microsoft has offered to ballot users as to what Internet browser they wish to use on instillation. This means IE may come installed, but will later be disabled if the user so chooses.

Microsoft in new EU browser offer (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8168235.stm)

The commission is still deciding on the offer, so no one really knows what is up.

rotNdude
07-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Good post, lots of information. I would probably add a small statement saying that most Vista drivers are Win7 compatible though, lots of people seem to be asking that question.

Sorry for nitpicking, but it's stamped not burned. Mass-produced CDs/DVDs are produced by a stamping process.

I'll add the driver thingy, thanks. I'll also change it to the CD/DVDs are produced (most folks don't understand it unless you say burned). ;)

Do both the 32 and 64 bit versions come on the disk? Thats always been comfusing for me because I'm wanting the 64 bit version. If I get the HP version can I later upgrade to the Ultimate? Isn't that possible on Vista? I'm used to the beta/RC Ultimate and really don't know what difference I might or might not see in the HP version. The list of diffences on the charts don't really relate well to actual experiance if that makes any sense to you. I'm not running a business. It's just for my games, internet and a little multimedia.

Anything new about the "family" packs for up to three machines. If so could I put 32 bit on one and 64 on the other two rigs with the same licence?

Very good questions and I'll see what I can find that has Microsoft facts behind it. I know my upgrade package for Vista Ultimate came with both 32-bit and 64-bit disks.

Awesome thread.

Just on the IE for Europeans issue, Microsoft has offered to ballot users as to what Internet browser they wish to use on instillation. This means IE may come installed, but will later be disabled if the user so chooses.

Thanks and I will definitely provide more clarification on this EU issue for IE. It seems this is still in a state of Microsoft versus the EU!?

Mangr0v3
07-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Upgrading to Windows 7

Upgrading from Windows XP or earlier
You cannot perform a direct upgrade from Windows XP or earlier to Windows 7, rather you need to backup all your data and perform a clean installation of Windows 7.

Upgrading from Windows Vista
Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 requires Service Pack 1 or 2 installed. You can upgrade:

Vista Home Basic to 7 Home Basic, 7 Home Premium, and 7 Ultimate.
Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium and 7 Ultimate.
Vista Business to 7 Professional, 7 Enterprise or 7 Ultimate
Vista Enterprise to 7 Ultimate
Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate

Vista Starter, Vista Home Basic N and Vista Business N cannot be upgraded to Windows 7.
You cannot upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 N, Windows 7 E, or Windows 7 KN.

Cross-Platform Upgrades
You cannot upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows, nor upgrade from a 64-bit version of Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. This requires a clean installation.

Upgrading from Windows 7 Beta/RC
Upgrading from Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 RC is officially unsupported by Microsoft, however it can be done.

So when you try to upgrade a pre-RC build you will find that you’re not able to and setup will tell you and you can then exit gracefully. You can install as a clean installation and use the Windows Easy Transfer feature as well (run this from your current installation of course) if you wish to move your accounts, settings, files, and more. To bypass the version check, the instructions below will use a mechanism that is available for enterprise customers (so we are also testing this as well). It is not a simple command line switch. We didn’t make it multi-step on purpose but wanted to stick to using proven, documented and tested mechanisms.

These instructions will be brief. Since everyone reading is a well-versed and experienced beta tester you know ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR MACHINE before running any OS installation and NEVER TEST AN OS ON YOUR ONLY COPY OF ANY DATA. Testing a pre-release product means just that—it is testing and it is pre-release. Even though this is a Release Candidate, we are still testing the product. We have very high confidence but even if an error happens once in 1,000,000 we want to make sure everyone is taking the precautions normal for a pre-release product.

One other related caution is INSTALL ONLY OFFICIALLY RELEASED BUILDS FROM MICROSOFT. It will always be tempting to get the build with the “mod” already done but you really never know what else has been done to the build. There’s a thrill in getting the latest, we know, but that also comes with risks that can’t even be quantified. For the RC we will work to release a hash or some other way to validate the build, but the best way is to always download directly from Microsoft.

Here’s what you can do to bypass the check for pre-release upgrade IF YOU REALLY REALLY NEED TO:

Download the ISO as you did previously and burn the ISO to a DVD.
Copy the whole image to a storage location you wish to run the upgrade from (a bootable flash drive or a directory on any partition on the machine running the pre-release build).
Browse to the sources directory.
Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad.
Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000 (pictured below).
Save the file in place with the same name.
Run setup like you would normally from this modified copy of the image and the version check will be bypassed.

AlecJ32
07-26-2009, 06:52 PM
If I can think of anything to contribute, I surely will.

A quick section on UAC would be useful, I think.

UAC in Windows 7; Is it still just as annoying?
Introduced in Windows Vista, UAC has quickly earned the reputation of being 'an annoyance designed to protect computer illiterate users from themselves'. Most users simply regard UAC as a 'child-safe lock' of sorts, and don't hesitate to disable it thinking they're too smart to benefit from it. Since UAC is an integral part of the Windows Vista/Windows 7 security model and contains more features than just prompting, Windows 7 allows users to adjust prompting levels to dissuade users from disabling UAC altogether.

The primary feature of UAC is split security tokens for Administrative users, which is controlled by prompting. By default, programs run with reduced privileges and must request permission for elevated privileges for tasks that require additional privileges. In Windows 7 this feature can be adjusted and comes with 4 levels to choose from:

Highest - This is the same style of prompting found in Windows Vista. The user must be prompted in order to elevate program privileges and in order for the user to change system settings. The prompting interface runs in Secure Desktop mode, to prevent applications from providing input; only the user can provide input.

High - This is the default setting. The user can change system settings without being prompted, but programs requiring elevated privileges must still prompt the user. Prompts still run in Secure Desktop mode.

Low - This setting is the same as the High setting, however, prompts do not run in the Secure Desktop mode.

Lowest - With this setting, users will not be prompted. If a program needs elevated privileges, it will simply be granted such privileges.

Like Windows Vista, Windows 7 also allows you to require that credentials be entered in order to click allow on a UAC prompt.

UltimateTobi
07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I would suggest to Sticky this thread, very nice, keep the work! Very interesting, I'm using Windows 7 and it's just great! :)

The_Apeking
07-27-2009, 01:36 AM

Both, the 32- and the 64-Bit verisons are in the box, so you'll get 2 DVD's.

Yes, you can later upgrade via Windows Anytime Upgrade, but you'll only get a download from Microsoft, though you can buy it on a CD from Amazon or other stores and it's also possible on Vista, yes.

You won't really miss something crucial for the things you want to do if you only get the HP version and if you later on think you need more you can always upgrade, there also rumours that the prices for the upgrades are as following:
Starter to Home Premium 82$
Home Premium to Professional 91$
Home Premium to Ultimate 154$

P6860FX
07-27-2009, 06:35 AM
What that means is it going to begin being produced...
I don't know if I should be pointing this out, it's just a small error (what's customary?).
It should be: "What that means is it IS going to..."
Great thread, BTW.

rotNdude
07-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Snip

Thanks!

Snip

Thanks! I think I'll also add a little regarding DirectX and link to your thread if you want to update that thread too.

I don't know if I should be pointing this out, it's just a small error (what's customary?).
It should be: "What that means is it IS going to..."
Great thread, BTW.

Thanks! Grammar correction done. :o

Sierra Oscar
07-30-2009, 06:30 PM
It seems this is still in a state of Microsoft versus the EU!?

Yep, unfortunately so - and the consumer gets caught right in the middle of the battle . . .

Buff
07-30-2009, 06:42 PM
History
After the Windows XP operating system was developed and released by Microsoft in August 2001, there was nearly a 5-year lag before they released Vista. When Vista was finally released in November 2006, upper management at Microsoft made a commitment that they would get back to a 3-year development and release cycle. Windows 7 is now staying on that timeline. In defense of Vista and the development cycle, it introduced a completely new driver model and new kernel and it was simply a constantly moving target that management didn't control.

Got a source for the bolded bit? Finally something to reply with to people saying "hurdur vista sux thats why m$ brought W7 out so quick after Vista". :o

l4dr0cks123
07-31-2009, 10:08 AM
This thread is awesome. I'm sure it's going to help me a lot when I will be buying Win7. 5 star, +rep. Sticky this!

rotNdude
07-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Got a source for the bolded bit? Finally something to reply with to people saying "hurdur vista sux thats why m$ brought W7 out so quick after Vista". :o

I can't find the articles discussing the events back then, but this is enough proof:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2008/04/hypesphere-nothing-to-gates-windows-7-next-year-quote.ars

What Gates said merely confirmed what we've all known all along: that Windows 7 is being developed on a three-year timeframe.

weedo
07-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Here are my thoughts on Windows 7 :) I have been using Windows 7 for about a week now and it's a really fast and stable OS. I have had no driver issues, everything that worked in Vista works in 7 and my games actually seem to play better. I used to have buffer lag in Vista but that seems to be completely gone in 7 :D

I know for XP and Vista if you use the built in wireless network stuff for your network, the connection drops every minute or so for about a second, people have developed tools to stop this such as Vista Anti-Lag, well in Windows 7 I no longer have this issue and no longer need a tool to keep my wlan connection from "pausing".

Other things I have noticed are that the start menu is completely re-done and it feels much better to use because you are able to pin any application to the taskbar and you can use "jumplists" to easily re-open a file you recently used. It looks pretty cool too and it never seems to get cluttered.

Generally the OS is way more responsive and uses less ram than Vista. Boot times and shutdown times are much faster too. I recommend it to everyone with a Vista capable PC, I think if your PC doesn't run vista well you should stick to XP.

MADDOGGE
07-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Please people do youself and others a big favor this time around. Make sure you have the hardware to run a new OS this time. Though I have had no driver issues but one from Win7 (a prehistoric scanner) insure that there are drivers for your goodies. Just use good common sense.

90% Jihad
07-31-2009, 08:18 PM
History
After the Windows XP operating system was developed and released by Microsoft in August 2001, there was nearly a 5-year lag before they released Vista. When Vista was finally released in November 2006, upper management at Microsoft made a commitment that they would get back to a 3-year development and release cycle. Windows 7 is now staying on that timeline.

rotNdude, you make it sound like a perpetual 3-year release cycle for Windows was cast in concrete. The quote you offer via the arstechnica article does not back this, it only says that W7 itself was committed to a 3 year release cycle.

Just trying to keep it accurate. Love your post, it's very helpful.

Forget_the_Rest
08-01-2009, 06:43 AM
It now seems that Microsoft has decided to scrap plans for Windows 7 E and give Europe the full version that everyone else has - Source (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/08/01/microsoft-scraps-windows-7-e-version-for-europe).

JOBE!!!
08-01-2009, 01:49 PM
i got an awesome question for anyone here:

i have a macbook pro, therefore the RC is the only way ive been able to play steam stuffs. im definitely not going to pay $200 for windows 7. is there anyway i can legally cheat the system so i can get it for a cheaper price?

jon_hill987
08-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Interesting news regarding the European version:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-327654.html

Jesse1234
08-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I have a question regarding creating partitions!

Im trying to create a partition just for my games so when i reformat i dont have to reinstall them all the time. Im not too sure why i didnt do this years ago..

Anyways this is what all my drives look like. As you can see i already have the unallocated space for the partition i want to create.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/jesse2200/dumbpartitionnnnnnn.jpg

Problem is every time i try to create a partition it tells me i have too many partitions. Someone been told it could be because i have too many primary partitions, if i could somehow change over the Steam partition to be logical...could it work then?

I noticed a thread on exFAT and i tried creating an exFAT partition but it gave me the same error.

If all fails ill just create one big one with my Steam stuff in it, i just wanted to keep it separate because it's special <3 .

Grüven
08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
MSDN and Technet subscribers now have access to the RTM. :)

bes
08-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info on Windows 7...currently mine works pretty good...STEAM and everything, just a few minor issues atm and thats it.

Ill probably be using the RC version until it expires on June 1, 2010

Since im not fond of buying it just yet(yes I know its not out yet..but pre-orders are on newegg.com)...since its a good chunk of money I could use to buy hardware... even though I love the speed of Windows7 ...its LOTS faster than other OS's I have used so far..

Second_Infinity
08-06-2009, 01:52 PM
MSDN and Technet subscribers now have access to the RTM. :)

Well, if by "access" you mean a 40KB download speed of the iso, then yes, we have access. Hooray for hammering servers! I estimate 14 hours to go.

Grüven
08-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, if by "access" you mean a 40KB download speed of the iso, then yes, we have access. Hooray for hammering servers! I estimate 14 hours to go.

At the top, click "Top Downloads", select the .iso you want, and it will prompt you to install the Akami download manager. I'm pulling much higher speeds with it.

Mangr0v3
08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a question regarding creating partitions!

Im trying to create a partition just for my games so when i reformat i dont have to reinstall them all the time. Im not too sure why i didnt do this years ago..

Anyways this is what all my drives look like. As you can see i already have the unallocated space for the partition i want to create.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/jesse2200/dumbpartitionnnnnnn.jpg

Problem is every time i try to create a partition it tells me i have too many partitions. Someone been told it could be because i have too many primary partitions, if i could somehow change over the Steam partition to be logical...could it work then?

I noticed a thread on exFAT and i tried creating an exFAT partition but it gave me the same error.

If all fails ill just create one big one with my Steam stuff in it, i just wanted to keep it separate because it's special <3 .

You can only have 4 primary partitions per drive. You can create an extended partition and then put logical drives on it if you really want to.

T Rush
08-06-2009, 04:05 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/t9jw8x.png

http://i32.tinypic.com/346l2lw.png

Grüven
08-06-2009, 04:17 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/t9jw8x.png

http://i32.tinypic.com/346l2lw.png

How's Forefront? Also, could you post a pic of the default background? Thanks a bunch! :D

T Rush
08-06-2009, 04:29 PM
How's Forefront? Also, could you post a pic of the default background? Thanks a bunch! :D

seems really simple to use/update/scan...clean

I can't find much else different/new thats not in build 7100 RC...looking tho

does RC 7100 have the app to "Create a System Repair Disc" in "Mainentance"?

desktop http://i25.tinypic.com/aoubn4.png

was at VALVe offices earlier, had lunch there with TonJohn

MADDOGGE
08-06-2009, 04:55 PM
seems really simple to use/update/scan...clean

I can't find much else different/new thats not in build 7100 RC...looking tho

does RC 7100 have the app to "Create a System Repair Disc" in "Mainentance"?

desktop http://i25.tinypic.com/aoubn4.png

was at VALVe offices earlier, had lunch there with TonJohn Shucks I see they got rid of the dove and replaced it with a butterfly! Oh well no big deal, but I did like the dove.

How can you get an oem copy for machines you already own. Is that legal or even possible? If it isn't legal never mind.

RedRumy3
08-07-2009, 10:31 PM
I finally got rtm installed and activated from technet :)

so far so good =]

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6056/44910858.jpg

bes
08-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I finally got rtm installed and activated from technet :)

so far so good =]

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6056/44910858.jpg

Im still using the RC version...it runs just fine...a few minor issues with icons getting corrupted and the explorer process crashing and restarting..

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn134/BES12000/Desktop15.jpg

Bloody Vains
08-17-2009, 12:35 PM
How stable is it? I'm on windows XP Pro atm and I'm thinking about switching to windows 7. Is it fully stable? Any problems with drivers? With games? Certain programs?

Also, if I upgrade to windows vista first then upgrade to windows 7, will I be able to keep all my files without having to reformat? I have a vista ultimate disc laying around.

Thanks!

AlecJ32
08-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Also, if I upgrade to windows vista first then upgrade to windows 7, will I be able to keep all my files without having to reformat? I have a vista ultimate disc laying around.

IIRC, you will have to reformat to upgrade to Vista. However, since Windows Vista and Windows 7 are so similar, you do not have to reformat in order to upgrade from Vista to 7.

Bloody Vains
08-17-2009, 12:59 PM
IIRC, you will have to reformat to upgrade to Vista. However, since Windows Vista and Windows 7 are so similar, you do not have to reformat in order to upgrade from Vista to 7.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2082982,00.asp

AlecJ32
08-17-2009, 01:06 PM

That makes sense based on certain characteristics of the different versions. Also keep in mind that you can't 'All-in-place' upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

zezzex
08-17-2009, 01:07 PM

That article is about upgrading from xp to vista. I thought you were asking about vista and windows 7.

There is always a way to upgrade from one windows os to another, but some times it's more work then it's worth, and besides, it's just better to do a clean install.

Bloody Vains
08-17-2009, 01:16 PM
I have 32 bit XP and 32 bit Vista. I downloaded the 32 bit of 7 as well. So I was wondering if upgrading from XP to Vista then to 7 after that is good or should I just reformat with 7? Problem is backing up everything which I find annoying, but I have an external 1TB hard drive so its not as hard as it was before.

Grüven
08-17-2009, 01:48 PM
A reformat is the best approach. Doing upgrade after upgrade after upgrade is time-consuming.

Bloody Vains
08-17-2009, 02:16 PM
A reformat is the best approach. Doing upgrade after upgrade after upgrade is time-consuming.

Yeah I'ma just reformat. I might end up with some glitches too if I upgrade twice.

Stray
10-07-2009, 03:51 PM
i got an awesome question for anyone here:

i have a macbook pro, therefore the RC is the only way ive been able to play steam stuffs. im definitely not going to pay $200 for windows 7. is there anyway i can legally cheat the system so i can get it for a cheaper price?
The Steam Forums Rules (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651173) strictly forbid any talk of piracy, warez or the like. The short answer to your question is, "No. The terms 'legally' and 'cheat' are contradictory."

You can get a copy of Win7 Ultimate (the OEM edition) for less than $200 on NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=windows+7+ultimate+oem&x=0&y=0) and the lesser versions will obviously be less than that, so why not just man up and spend the dough?

I must say, I've been very impressed with Win7(b.7100)'s performance on my MacBook Pro under Boot Camp and I haven't bought a copy of Windows since my PC days and Windows XP. I'm just going to find the best deal I can and get a copy of Windows 7 when it's out so I don't have to live in fear of all my stuff suddenly no longer working.

By the way, if you're a poor student living on ramen, see if you can get a copy comped through MSDNAA, like so:

Search for your school on MSDNAA (http://www.msdnaa.net/search/schoolsearch.aspx)
Check the software tab to see if it is offered.
If you do not know your MSDNAA login/password given to you by your university, request the password be sent to your username (which is usually your student email addy).
Login and download your copy.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to pay retail (there's always a better deal than standard retail pricing), but Win7, like Vista, probably won't work forever without WGA validation, so actually getting a legit copy of Win7 when it's released is probably your best bet.

Now for my own question:

I'd like to use Win7 64-bit (my Boot Camp installation is running the 32-bit version), but has anyone had success with this? Are 64-bit Win7-compatible drivers available for the MacBook Pro? Does Steam and certain games (I'm thinking specifically of L4D, TF2 and the Half-Life series) run on Win7 64-bit? How well?

Mangr0v3
10-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I believe 64-bit Bootcamp drivers are on the OS X install DVD. Steam and most Steam games (especially L4D and TF2, unsure about Half-Life) run well on Windows 7 x64, but performance will depend on your hardware.

General Frags
10-07-2009, 08:22 PM
You can get Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional edition each for £30 or $30 under a student pre-order scheme. Here is the link (http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/) folk enjoy a cheaper windows also cheaper office 2007 too.

JOBE!!!
10-08-2009, 01:15 AM
...By the way, if you're a poor student living on ramen, see if you can get a copy comped through...
that was what i was implying. pardon my subpar sentence structure, but i was wondering how to legally cheat the system, the system being the pricing system. i guess putting the word "legally" in there didn't accurately portray that i was asking about a legal workaround. geez. either leave the moderating to the moderators or don't moderate when on your alt account.

I'd like to use Win7 64-bit (my Boot Camp installation is running the 32-bit version), but has anyone had success with this? Are 64-bit Win7-compatible drivers available for the MacBook Pro? Does Steam and certain games (I'm thinking specifically of L4D, TF2 and the Half-Life series) run on Win7 64-bit? How well?

i downloaded the 64-bit rc and have played all the games you mentioned on it with no problems.

yapchagi
10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Great. My fried is working at Microsoft and he can get me a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Full version for less than $50. Not sure it's OEM or boxed edition.

haylow1221
10-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I have an ultimate rtm disk. Is there any way I can check to see if it 64 or 32 bit?

Mangr0v3
10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
It should say on the disk. Or you could post the title of the CD - usually if it has an X in the middle of it, it's 64-bit.

Stray
10-22-2009, 09:50 AM
that was what i was implying. pardon my subpar sentence structure, but i was wondering how to legally cheat the system, the system being the pricing system. i guess putting the word "legally" in there didn't accurately portray that i was asking about a legal workaround. geez. either leave the moderating to the moderators or don't moderate when on your alt account.
Ah, well; in that case, my apologies. I guess we got ourselves into a Larry David situation there, where by trying to clarify ourselves, we actually made things more difficult.

i downloaded the 64-bit rc and have played all the games you mentioned on it with no problems.
Perfect. That's all I needed to know.

MADDOGGE
10-22-2009, 02:15 PM
FYI Those of you installing the 64 bit version, If you get an install error for Steam you may need to install the DX9 runtime from the MS site in order to install Steam. This is if Steam give you an install error. Just spent about 45 minutes figuring this out. Should have remembered this from the beta/RC. It probably isn't a problem if you install a game that installs DX9 before installing Steam

Reebdoog
10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know how the upgrade process works?
I have RC installed and I have the Upgrade version of 7.
Do you need the CD, or licence key, or an actual install of Vista to get it working? Or Can i just do the install & twice and enter the 7 licence key?

richard.eid
10-22-2009, 11:40 PM
FYI Those of you installing the 64 bit version, you will need to install the DX9 runtime from the MS site in order to install Steam. Otherwise it gives an install error. Just spent about 45 minutes figuring this out. Should have remembered this from the beta/RC.

Strange. A week or two ago I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM and didn't have this issue. I eventually installed the August 2009 DX Runtimes, but not until after I had Steam installed and downloading some games.

It's not that Windows 7 doesn't come with DX9 support; It does. It includes support for 9, 10 and 11 as far as I know(probably some older versions, too). It just had an older version of DX9 pre-installed, is all. To be honest, I didn't check to see which version of DX9 was integrated with it, but regardless, DX9 support was there. If it weren't you wouldn't be able to play a lot of games, which isn't the case. In addition, I don't believe the Steam install relies on or requires anything specific from DirectX during installation, but I'd have to check on that to be 100% sure.

What types of errors were you seeing? I'm curious to know if anything specific came up. It sounds like a different factor was at the center of the issue, but I suppose anything is possible.

Mangr0v3
10-22-2009, 11:47 PM
FYI Those of you installing the 64 bit version, you will need to install the DX9 runtime from the MS site in order to install Steam. Otherwise it gives an install error. Just spent about 45 minutes figuring this out. Should have remembered this from the beta/RC.

I didn't have this problem on the RTM Enterprise eval.

jeinmith72
10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
I think steam is work on Windows 7 now because my friend has steam on his windows 7 and it work well.

Mangr0v3
10-23-2009, 12:41 AM
Steam worked under Windows 7 since and including the public Beta.

MADDOGGE
10-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Strange. A week or two ago I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM and didn't have this issue. I eventually installed the August 2009 DX Runtimes, but not until after I had Steam installed and downloading some games.

It's not that Windows 7 doesn't come with DX9 support; It does. It includes support for 9, 10 and 11 as far as I know(probably some older versions, too). It just had an older version of DX9 pre-installed, is all. To be honest, I didn't check to see which version of DX9 was integrated with it, but regardless, DX9 support was there. If it weren't you wouldn't be able to play a lot of games, which isn't the case. In addition, I don't believe the Steam install relies on or requires anything specific from DirectX during installation, but I'd have to check on that to be 100% sure.

What types of errors were you seeing? I'm curious to know if anything specific came up. It sounds like a different factor was at the center of the issue, but I suppose anything is possible.It was a simple install error totally fixed by installing the runtime. I agree Steam has worked fine. At least since I started using the beta. You may not remember, though it's in the original beta thread that some people needed to install the runtime to get their Valve games to play.

When I tried to run the install in compatibility mode it just showed "previous windows version" in red but no choices. After runtime installed the compatibility mode showed all the older versions like it has done on the beta/RC. Steam was the first program I installed right after installing the OS and Virus wear so I hadn't installed any games that may have contained the runtime as a part of their package. Anyway it's not a problem now and was put out as a FYI.

Jesse1234
10-25-2009, 10:41 AM
So i went ahead and took advantage of that student discount. I got Win7 Pro for $40!:D

I have Windows 7 Ultimate running already, but it's an older version. Im currently downloading what I think is a setup file, not an ISO:confused:. Is there somewhere legal I can download a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ISO?

This could help to explain.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/23/windows-7-student-upgrade-installer-not-working-for-many/

I guess I could do this (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/) to make one. Isnt that for AFTER i have installed Pro?

Mangr0v3
10-25-2009, 04:33 PM
If the setup file does not make an ISO, then follow those instructions to make the ISO.

Burn the ISO to a DVD, and install Windows 7. Enjoy.

Jesse1234
10-25-2009, 04:45 PM
If the setup file does not make an ISO, then follow those instructions to make the ISO.

Burn the ISO to a DVD, and install Windows 7. Enjoy.

Woo it did it. I just had to make sure all the files I downloaded were in C:\. It made the ISO extremely fast too. It took about 2 minutes total.

I just did exactly as these (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/) instructions say.

Jesse1234
11-21-2009, 04:36 PM
If anyone is having problems with games lagging online try this fix. It actually seemed to work for me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/31980-lag-online-games-windows-7-a.html#post331641

Leave the multimedia class scheduler service running, but disable its network throttling "feature":

* Open regedit
* Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
* There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
* Reboot

dantegao
07-13-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm running Win 7 and occasionally Steam deletes my friends.

L14M55
10-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Hi guys, does Windows 7 support:

TF2
Rome Total War + the expansions
Medieval Total War II
Civ4
Assassins Creed I

Please help me, I have Windows 7 ready to install, but I want to play my old games!

wing0zero
10-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi guys, does Windows 7 support:

TF2
Rome Total War + the expansions
Medieval Total War II
Civ4
Assassins Creed I

Please help me, I have Windows 7 ready to install, but I want to play my old games!

Yeah it should be fine, i have some real old stuff that works in Windows 7.

L14M55
10-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah it should be fine, i have some real old stuff that works in Windows 7.

Thanks, do I need to use XP-compatability mode...

I bought TF2 today, I meant to buy the whole of The Orange Box... How do I install Orange Box but not TF2 with it??

wing0zero
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
No just install and play Windows 7 is really good i have not had an issue yet really.

L14M55
10-02-2010, 04:23 AM

MatthijsI
03-23-2011, 10:16 AM
This is all nice, but for a PC gamer AND PC illiterate like me:
Should I know something about Steam when upgrading from Vista to Win7?

Someone's going to clean my C, and make a new install. Do I need to backup something from Steam? Or can I just go to http://store.steampowered.com/ and reinstall again, with existing user id?

How about Steam downloads?
- Both games (like Portal I downloaded from Steam)
- And additional content (like my extra Napoleon:Total War units I got in the Imperial Edition).
How will this be reinstalled?

Is there a thread with procedures, how to, etc I overlooked?
Thanks!!

rotNdude
03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I would start by reading through some of the support articles:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-YPHV-2033

MatthijsI
03-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks a bunch. I was looking for that, but couldn't find it!

Rubixfourtwo
03-25-2011, 11:38 AM
As a new user looking to bootcamp to Win 7 from a mac, which version do I really need? I'm assuming just the 64 bit home version is fine for running Steam? I am only going to run Steam and games on Windows 7, keeping everything else on the OSX side.

Darkravenbw
03-25-2011, 11:47 AM
As a new user looking to bootcamp to Win 7 from a mac, which version do I really need? I'm assuming just the 64 bit home version is fine for running Steam? I am only going to run Steam and games on Windows 7, keeping everything else on the OSX side.

Yes should be fine as long as its a recent mac laptop/desktop (past 3 years)

Rubixfourtwo
03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes should be fine as long as its a recent mac laptop/desktop (past 3 years)

Cool, thanks. Yeah, it's last years 15 inch macbook pro. I know system wise it will handle it, looking forward to the big game performance boost.

SiberianPenguin
03-25-2011, 04:33 PM
would getting the home premium OEM version on one of the new p67 motherboards last me until windows 8 comes out? I'd much rather spend 100 than 180 if i can, just afraid that by the time my mobo needs to be replaced (or new PC time) I'll need to buy another home premium OEM because win 8 isn't out yet.