PDA

View Full Version : SUGGESTION BOX

dsmart
08-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Thread inspired by this post. So I moved it.

Suggestion to game. Make the perimiter of the base have walls so enemies can't just walk in to the spawn point to shoot players, like in real life. Make entrances have defences too.

As I get fully into the demo more I will add more to this list.

We're certainly open to reasonable ideas as that is how ALL our games progressed over the years. In fact, just yesterday someone wanted the TAB (multiplayer clients list) to work like in HL2. It was implemented in today's 1.00.21 demo update - along with a bunch of other things.

Some ideas won't work, but we're not going to discount them out of hand. We will tell you what is and isn't possible.

dsmart
08-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Suggestion to game. Make the perimiter of the base have walls so enemies can't just walk in to the spawn point to shoot players, like in real life. Make entrances have defences too.

That is more of a content issue rather than an engine issue. Fact is we already have the content for walls and such. But given the size of the bases, it just wasn't practical because it ended up making the bases like prison blocks.

Plus, walls are useless when players have access to so many assets. Why bother? You can hop into a gunship, shuttle or fighter, fly over the base, eject. You're in. Or you can just use a DJP. Or take a rocket launcher to the walls and destroy them.

dsmart
08-04-2009, 05:40 PM
*moved*

I'm torn.

On the face of things, I really like this game. The design principles
seem to be in order, the scale is stunning, the combat seems fun and
none too complicated.

Indeed

My problem is that it seems very unfinished. I
downloaded the demo, very excited to get started. First mission, within
20 seconds, I was destroyed by God knows what flying at Mach 4 shooting
off missiles like spit wads.

Read the manual. Get in a craft. Get in the air. Hear missile beep? Hit
jammers. Evade.

Just because you haven't yet got the hang of it doesn't mean its "very unfinished".

I gave it another chance and tried to use
one of the ground turrets near by to defeat the speedy craft. I
approached a turret, pressed 'e' which I assumed would allow me to use
it. Instead, I seemed to pick it up.

Read the manual. Those gun turrets can be manned or picked up. You picked it
up. Which means you can only place it down somewhere else. If you want to fire
it - don't pick it up.

Just because you haven't yet got the hang of it doesn't mean its "very unfinished".

Then, assuming it was some strange Halo-esque turret-to-handheld feature,
tried to fire at one of the enemy crafts. Game crashed.

Similarly when I tried to fire the weapons of any ground or air vehicle, the game
experienced a critical error.

Works fine here. Given the nature of the game, something like that is not something
we're going to miss or ignore.

Still, I'm nowhere near ready to give up on this game and with a responsive
developer around, I'm hoping our suggestions will be taken to heart. For
me, I'd suggest the following:

Implement acceleration in any kind of motion experienced in the
game. [/B]Movement on foot and in air vehicles is instantaneous and
rather unrealistic. This kind of movement flew in UC because it was in space
and the user was willing to put aside the laws of momentum in order to consider
the possibility of the maneuvers being performed. However, things work
differently 'in atmo.'

Thats just silly. There is acceleration and motion. Otherwise you won't move from
A to B. And it is not instantaneous. Try walking from one end of a base to the
other. I'll see you next week.

ALL assets - including infantry - have various speeds, acceleration etc.

There are no plans to change it because nothing needs changing in the dynamics
engine.

Wipe the Crisco off the grenades.[/B]Maybe this is just my copy,
but if the grenades aren't lathered in lard and industrial lubricants. I
throw one and it just kind of slides along the ground for a mile before
exploding. (By the way, explosions are beautiful, well done!)

Its just you. Grenades travel a long distance depending on how long you hold
it for before throwing. And if it hits the ground, it will slide/roll along
until it comes to a stop.

B]Get some terrain![/B] For the love of god, can a brotha get a
mountain in this The massive, impressive scale of this game could be increased 10-20 fold
if you'd just add some hills and maybe a few trees. Honestly, perfection
is but a heightmap away, my friend.

You obviously haven't seen even 10% of the game's 400 sq. km terrain.

And don't tell me that you have because not even I have covered every inch of
the game's world.

Give the bases some character.[/B] The base assets are
fantastically fleshed out and really give you a feel of scale, and
grandeur. Unfortunately, that scale seems, at times, disproportionately
large when compared to the distance the player must walk to reach
anything and the relative size of the vehicles (i.e., shipping crates
that are several times the height of the player, cool-looking aircraft
that entice you to fondle their joysticks but are for some reason 50
miles away from the spawn area).

Thats got nothing to do with character. They are military bases - not shopping
malls that you get to hang out in.

Like I said, I'm torn and I really wouldn't even go so far
as to say I don't like the game, even despite it's many flaws. It just
needs a little push on the road to greatness.

Yes, our games always have been "Like it. Don't like it" kind of affairs. Thats
why we develop games for discerning gamers who want something different than
the Status Quo.

Thanks for your comments.

dsmart
08-04-2009, 05:45 PM
*moved*

What I meant by acceleration was not that the vehicles or character move excessively fast, as you seemed to interpret it with your comment about walking the length of the base, but that they instantaneously assume their maximum walk speed.

Actually thats not what I assumed. My comment has to do with the fact that if you couldn't accelerate or move, you're going nowhere.

Similarly, aircraft seem to assume their maximum flight speed almost instantaneously. Perhaps it was just the late night hour I played the demo in, I'll give it another shot tonight.

All assets have different flight dynamics and characteristics. These include
turn rate, min speed, max speed, gravity influence, gun fire rate etc. In fact, each has about 25+ unique variables. Because fighters are sci-fi based, they do have very fast acceleration. And that is specificly done this way due to the size of the game world and the fact that really fast fighters can go up to Mach2 at sea level. When you are traversing the world at speeds in excess of 600 m/s in a craft that has fast acceleration, the change is rapid. In fact, you can test this yourself in combat. Just engage, then turn on the Match Target Speed assist and observe how the craft automatically handles acceleration, speeds boosts etc to keep you from overshooting the target.

I consider this game a fantastically appealing endeavor with much promise, I'd just like to see it open up in places where it would not be difficult to do so while still maintaining the sense of realism you strive for and inviting more main-stream gamers to go along for the ride.

Indeed.

Tracekill
08-04-2009, 07:05 PM
*moved*

Actually thats not what I assumed. My comment has to do with the fact that if you couldn't accelerate or move, you're going nowhere.

All assets have different flight dynamics and characteristics. These include
turn rate, min speed, max speed, gravity influence, gun fire rate etc. In fact, each has about 25+ unique variables. Because fighters are sci-fi based, they do have very fast acceleration. And that is specificly done this way due to the size of the game world and the fact that really fast fighters can go up to Mach2 at sea level. When you are traversing the world at speeds in excess of 600 m/s in a craft that has fast acceleration, the change is rapid. In fact, you can test this yourself in combat. Just engage, then turn on the Match Target Speed assist and observe how the craft automatically handles acceleration, speeds boosts etc to keep you from overshooting the target.

Indeed.

Man I take back nearly everything I said. I must have been under the influence of some serious stuff, this game is a whole new animal when approached with a clear head and a drive to really focus and learn the controls, though they do remain a bit un-intuitive. I have a meeting to attend to but I look forward to experiencing some more combat in this game. Ive got flight down pretty well but even when I hit some guys with 10+ missiles they seem perfectly fine :P.

RT_
08-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Derek, I think the main issue about air combat (actually it is my ONLY gripe about air combat in AAW/AoA/UC) is, as Tracekill said, acceleration.

Regular acceleration (whenever you throttle up or down) is fine, but the afterburners are very, very powerfull. Using the afterburners, you go from 0 to 700 knots (or is it m/s?) in like 4 seconds in most crafts (guess that is variable, but the difference is quite unnoticeable).
I've talked about it with some BC/UC players a while ago, but AAW and AoA work the same in that regard; people don't use their joystick throttle: they press W and S whenever they need to make a speed correction. IMO, using the A/B for anything else than take off and emergency situations isn't the right way to do it.
If someone's in your tail, you can just slam the reverse afterburners and have them overshoot you without them being able to do anything about it (well, they can reverse A/B too, but even then that's too late). That would be fine if A/B use was limited, but it is not really the case (well I guess they eat up your power charge faster, but there again, it is a way too slow process in the scope of a few minutes (at most) dogfight).

What I suggest is either:
- Reduce the A/B to something like one third of their current strength
- Or have the A/B eat up your power charge much more quickly (the goal would be, to have you rely more on using your throttle and less on your A/B sicne they should be only used during take off and in emergency situations), so that you only have at most (roughly) a minute of continuous use of the A/B. Of course, that would require the power charge status displayed somewhere on the HUD.

RT_
08-04-2009, 10:38 PM
On-screen overlay of game commands tied to one of the unused function keys, so that you don't have to alt + D while in a heating battle. The behaviour of that commands list overlay would be similar to the players list called up using TAB.

dsmart
08-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Man I take back nearly everything I said. I must have been under the influence of some serious stuff, this game is a whole new animal when approached with a clear head and a drive to really focus and learn the controls, though they do remain a bit un-intuitive. I have a meeting to attend to but I look forward to experiencing some more combat in this game. Ive got flight down pretty well but even when I hit some guys with 10+ missiles they seem perfectly fine :P.

Indeed it really - and I can't stress this enough - should not be approached like any other run-of-the-mill fps or BF game. The game has unique qualities, some great and some not so - depending on how you look at it.

With time, we will try to improve on the things that we can. After all, we have a history of doing that with ALL our games - so its not just words, it is something that we do. All the time.

Yah, about those missiles. My bad. Due to the fact that EAD (Enemy Air Defenses) are very powerful and accurate, I sometimes turn on the invinciblity flag for some mission critical assets for a period of time. This way, you don't leave the AI to do your dirty work. So, during those times (usually a minute or two) that they are invincible, missiles won't do anything. ;)

Anyway, you only have the demo. If you do get the full game next week, you have a MASSIVE sandbox that you can just go nuts in and with near-zero restrictions. That gives you an open world to try just about anything. See my post over here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10805007&postcount=2) about that.

Derek, I think the main issue about air combat (actually it is my ONLY gripe about air combat in AAW/AoA/UC) is, as Tracekill said, acceleration.

Regular acceleration (whenever you throttle up or down) is fine, but the afterburners are very, very powerfull. Using the afterburners, you go from 0 to 700 knots (or is it m/s?) in like 4 seconds in most crafts (guess that is variable, but the difference is quite unnoticeable).
I've talked about it with some BC/UC players a while ago, but AAW and AoA work the same in that regard; people don't use their joystick throttle: they press W and S whenever they need to make a speed correction. IMO, using the A/B for anything else than take off and emergency situations isn't the right way to do it.
If someone's in your tail, you can just slam the reverse afterburners and have them overshoot you without them being able to do anything about it (well, they can reverse A/B too, but even then that's too late). That would be fine if A/B use was limited, but it is not really the case (well I guess they eat up your power charge faster, but there again, it is a way too slow process in the scope of a few minutes (at most) dogfight).

What I suggest is either:
- Reduce the A/B to something like one third of their current strength
- Or have the A/B eat up your power charge much more quickly (the goal would be, to have you rely more on using your throttle and less on your A/B sicne they should be only used during take off and in emergency situations), so that you only have at most (roughly) a minute of continuous use of the A/B. Of course, that would require the power charge status displayed somewhere on the HUD.

Reducing the A/B threshold is probably the best way to do it because everything else you suggested is a lot more work in engine components that we're not inclined to mess with.

On-screen overlay of game commands tied to one of the unused function keys, so that you don't have to alt + D while in a heating battle. The behaviour of that commands list overlay would be similar to the players list called up using TAB.

There are no un-used function keys that I know of. But yeah, a dedicated key for just the game commands is probably a good idea.

EvaUnit02
08-05-2009, 07:10 AM
How about making a sticky thread with a link to a HTML version of the game's manual? That way people can view the manual via the Steam overlay's minimalist web browser, which doesn't support PDF.

I.e.
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5599/clipboard01ejwtzj.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/i/clipboard01ejwtzj.jpg/)

IgnoreThisPlox
08-05-2009, 07:12 AM
From what I've played in the demo, the game is aight, but I would experience the gameplay better if it ran better.
I only get 20 FPS on lowest settings.

dsmart
08-05-2009, 07:23 AM
How about making a sticky thread with a link to a HTML version of the game's manual? That way people can view the manual via the Steam overlay's minimalist web browser, which doesn't support PDF.

I.e.
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5599/clipboard01ejwtzj.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/i/clipboard01ejwtzj.jpg/)

I never knew we could even do that. But the point would be what? The game manuals are available from within the game using ALT+D already.

Even so, the source manuals are in MS Word format, but I guess we can convert them to HTML or just use the static JPEG images we use for the in-game manuals.

I'm going to chat to my Valve a/c manager now to see how this can be accomplished - though I fail to see the point. Perhaps you can enlighten me on what this will accomplish?

From what I've played in the demo, the game is aight, but I would experience the gameplay better if it ran better.
I only get 20 FPS on lowest settings.

Please read both posts in this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931305) and see if any of the suggestsions help.

EvaUnit02
08-05-2009, 07:41 AM
I never new we could even do that. But the point would be what? The game manuals are available from within the game using ALT+D already.
Oh I see. If it's entirely redundant then never mind.

Thanks for the speedy response.

steveroger
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
That is more of a content issue rather than an engine issue. Fact is we already have the content for walls and such. But given the size of the bases, it just wasn't practical because it ended up making the bases like prison blocks.

Plus, walls are useless when players have access to so many assets. Why bother? You can hop into a gunship, shuttle or fighter, fly over the base, eject. You're in. Or you can just use a DJP. Or take a rocket launcher to the walls and destroy them.

Why not a shield or force field bubble? Seems to me that these foes are technically advanced enough to have some more defenses that have to be breached.

dsmart
08-10-2009, 11:04 AM
The whole point of his suggestion I think was to close off the base and make them smaller. A force field or shield doesn't do that since they would be invisible :)

And FYI we actually DO have such a premise. It was just one of the things that got cut. The game has Area Defense Shields and Area Defense Jammers. The ADS would shield the entire base and would need to be breached (just liek as ship's shields) to be able to hit anything inside. While the latter just jams radar of units within a cerain distance. This would remove all dots on radar making it hard to find targets.

If you play the demo, look for those two units on TRS/GND or NID radar and you'll see them. Right now, they have no functionality - but the units are in fact there in the game world.

MGLK
08-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Please make the infantry aim as smooth as the vehicle aim, and maybe fire mode selection for the guns like single/burst/full-auto?

MGLK
08-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Also maybe a flashlight for the night ops? Would give away your position from a distance but let you see within a limited arc, so it wouldnt make the NV any less useful...

dsmart
08-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Please make the infantry aim as smooth as the vehicle aim, and maybe fire mode selection for the guns like single/burst/full-auto?

I am not aware of any issues with the first person weapon aiming. Try the mouse sensitivity options in the game config.

Most rifles already have multi-modes (M key). There are no plans to change those that don't because that serves no purpose. This is a sci-fi game, not Arma2.

Also maybe a flashlight for the night ops? Would give away your position from a distance but let you see within a limited arc, so it wouldnt make the NV any less useful...

There are no plans to add a flashlight to the game. Thats why there's a much better option currently in the game: night vision which is available in both vehicles and first person (via the Darklight Image Enhancer inventory item).

Rumtruffle
08-17-2009, 04:46 AM
suggestion -

more ambient assets. with a toggle in the menu to add them or not, or possibly to what degree (for those that complain their performance drops too much)

suggestion -

maybe scout encampments out in the wastes that, under attack, would give the user something else to focus on as they make their way to another objective.
ie. do i help the troopers at that camp and risk failing a mission in the main campaign or do i let them die for the greater good. maybe saving those troopers would actually help on a future mission.

suggestion -

- steam achievements. (at least i dont think the game has them - one for each campaign mission. spurious ones for multiplayer. maybe some hidden reconnaisance around the landscape that when all visited add an achievement)
- possibly steam cloud (i LOVE having my saves all in one place so i can move freely from bedroom to living room without using windows live sync to get the saves across.)

dsmart
08-17-2009, 05:02 AM
suggestion -

more ambient assets. with a toggle in the menu to add them or not, or possibly to what degree (for those that complain their performance drops too much)

Good suggestion, but due to the way the game world is designed, modifying the world is an all or nothing kind of thing. There is no way to add a menu item to toggle them on|off.

If you go to steamapps\common\all aspect warfare demo\models and look at the .3DG files. Those are pure text files which determine the basic layout of everything in the game world. Here is an excerpt which shows that this base has 240 objects.

{
ACAV.3D
0 0 0
2891.52 0.74113 3278.53
}

{
ACAV.3D
0 0 0
-570.639 0.74113 -3270.37
}

{
ADJ.3D
0 0 0
-276.041 -0.0549351 -3151.19
}

Using our editor, you can add new 3D objects to the default world files (above). Runtime scripts also add to the world which is why mission objects, starbases etc are not in the default world .3DG files.

Our "level map" is the entire terrain with nothing on it. The standard .3DG assets and scripted assets then go on top of it in real-time. Not like other games where you have to prep a level, vis it and all that.

So once you've added 3D assets to the world, you can't dynamically add/remove them using menu options as you have suggested.

suggestion -

maybe scout encampments out in the wastes that, under attack, would give the user something else to focus on as they make their way to another objective. ie. do i help the troopers at that camp and risk failing a mission in the main campaign or do i let them die for the greater good. maybe saving those troopers would actually help on a future mission.

The game engine does not support dynamic mission generation and was not designed to do so. All the friendlies in the game's campaign which were left behind when the Terrans pulled out, were scripted to be there.

It would be awesome if this were possible within the preset game's framework as that would be something that the sandbox mode would benefit from.

However,the game engines do need this capability for our MMO, so that will be something we have in there. Its just not going to happen in this AAW game engine and its not something you can just add without significant effort since it entails quite a bit of work.

suggestion -

- steam achievements. (at least i dont think the game has them - one for each campaign mission. spurious ones for multiplayer. maybe some hidden reconnaisance around the landscape that when all visited add an achievement)
- possibly steam cloud (i LOVE having my saves all in one place so i can move freely from bedroom to living room without using windows live sync to get the saves across.)

As I have posted before (see my dev blog thread) we're looking to implement several SteamWorks features. What form the achievements will take is not yet decided since this is not something we had planned on.

At the end of the day, how well the games do determines how far we'll go with any sort of additions outside of bug fixes.

Rumtruffle
08-17-2009, 05:27 AM
The game engine does not support dynamic mission generation and was not designed to do so. All the friendlies in the game's campaign which were left behind when the Terrans pulled out, were scripted to be there.

It would be awesome if this were possible within the preset game's framework as that would be something that the sandbox mode would benefit from.

could be tweaked so that the side missions arent dynamic and dont even involve battles.

eg. you release a dlc pack (paid or free) that includes steamworks stuff in it.
as part of that pack also a steam achievement dlc is included that adds a 'planetary explorer' achievement.
the achievement involves seeking out the last remaining, abandoned scattered terran encampments. there you have to find the computer and shut it down so important information cannot be used by the gammulans.
the user would have to balance wanting that achievement and possibly failing missions going of their way to find the scattered encampments, or just leaving it to chance that they come across them whilst concentrating on the campaign missions.

i would even think you could get by using the models used now. one for a small building, one for an item you must activate (some beacon or computer or somthing small inside the building)
gives the game that extra dimension i always feel. i love exploration... if it were up to me every game would be a sandbox rpg. lol

Elsan
08-17-2009, 06:38 AM
could be tweaked so that the side missions arent dynamic and dont even involve battles.

eg. you release a dlc pack (paid or free) that includes steamworks stuff in it.
as part of that pack also a steam achievement dlc is included that adds a 'planetary explorer' achievement.
the achievement involves seeking out the last remaining, abandoned scattered terran encampments. there you have to find the computer and shut it down so important information cannot be used by the gammulans.
the user would have to balance wanting that achievement and possibly failing missions going of their way to find the scattered encampments, or just leaving it to chance that they come across them whilst concentrating on the campaign missions.

i would even think you could get by using the models used now. one for a small building, one for an item you must activate (some beacon or computer or somthing small inside the building)
gives the game that extra dimension i always feel. i love exploration... if it were up to me every game would be a sandbox rpg. lol

Very good idea but unfortunately, due to the way achievements work, people would just go to the base, get the achievement and reload the game. Still, it would be nice if it were implemented. Myself, I can't wait to save the clones and get a full army for myself :D

Rumtruffle
08-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Very good idea but unfortunately, due to the way achievements work, people would just go to the base, get the achievement and reload the game. Still, it would be nice if it were implemented. Myself, I can't wait to save the clones and get a full army for myself :D

its not just one encampment youd have to visit to get an achievement. youd have to go to them all (say about 12 of them spread across the entire map) during the games campaign.

so whilst you could speed to a camp, deactivate the computer and then reload so you dont lose the campaign missions, you wouldnt have gained anything because the internal counter that counts if youve visited a camp would go back to where it was before you saved forcing you to go there again.

Elsan
08-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Then that works better :D You had said only one in the original post.

Rumtruffle
08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
However,the game engines do need this capability for our MMO

Ooo i missed that bit.

a MMO eh? MMORPG or MMOFPS.... or MMOBC3K? lol

anyway, i like mmo's because of the exploration and depth they have. so whilst im sidelined on this game at the moment, youve caught my attention with that little morsel.

IHasBoomStick
08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Just a random suggestion ...

When enemies are firing and have got a little confused ... would it be possible to have them resort to spraying if they don't hit anything for a couple of seconds? For me it would make the AI feel a bit more human having them respond with panic spam, and it might loosely simulate the sort of covering/suppressive fire a player might resort to in this situation.

I suppose it might be a bit 'metagamey' though having the AI resort to certain behaviours because it *knows* it's missing, but I would like them to at least have a chance to hit me, or at least make me feel like I might need to hide.

dsmart
08-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Just a random suggestion ...

When enemies are firing and have got a little confused ... would it be possible to have them resort to spraying if they don't hit anything for a couple of seconds? For me it would make the AI feel a bit more human having them respond with panic spam, and it might loosely simulate the sort of covering/suppressive fire a player might resort to in this situation.

I suppose it might be a bit 'metagamey' though having the AI resort to certain behaviours because it *knows* it's missing, but I would like them to at least have a chance to hit me, or at least make me feel like I might need to hide.

I don't see why not. Fairly trivial to do since we can determine when they can and cannot hit a target due to various line of sight and prediction code that we have in the AI processing loop.

I've made a not in my TODO list.

Ooo i missed that bit.

a MMO eh? MMORPG or MMOFPS.... or MMOBC3K? lol

anyway, i like mmo's because of the exploration and depth they have. so whilst im sidelined on this game at the moment, youve caught my attention with that little morsel.

Yah, not to get off-topic but were going to do our space/planetary MMO. We just ended up doing AAW/AOA due to market conditions. Our MMO (hopefully Beta in late 2010) is both space and planetary and has most of the features you're already seeing in AAW. Except that it has some new engines, takes place in our default game world* (http://www.3000ad.com/fleets/db/pics/galaxy_maps_links) that features tons of planets (all different), has side quests etc etc.

But lets leave that discussion for next year.

* see if you can spot LV-115, the planet that AAW/AOA take place on.

.n.ty|e$
08-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Seems like it would only suceed in making things more comical. That goes against a soldier's training, right? At the most basic level all soldiers are instilled with mental discipline. Panicking and letting your emotions take control of you isn't exactly a great way to make it on a battlfield.

Based on a brief period of time with the demo
-The biggest problem is the environments. The simplistic environments leave little room for structure/depth in the gameplay. Environments are half of the gameplay. They govern what kinds of tactics you and your enemy's can use and how you progress. For the most part, the FPS gameplay consists of standing in one place and shooting at someone else, very far away on a flat plane.

-The HUD could use some work, in terms of aesthetics. It looks exceedingly antiquated.

-Not much narrative..

h0tp0ck3t
08-18-2009, 07:27 PM
if its not overly difficult how about a toggle to speed up the game clock? sometimes you'll complete your objectives, rebuild/rearm after an intense fight and then still have around 12 minutes before the next mission starts (unless im doing something seriously wrong :)). Maybe like a toggle between 1X, 2X, and 4X?

jaundiced
08-18-2009, 09:24 PM
This is a sci-fi game, not Arma2.

there is no reason a sci-fi game can't be complicated, or on the scale and complexity / detail of Arma2.

i think you meant to say - this isn't a simulator, but a basic sci-fi based shooter.

dsmart
08-19-2009, 04:55 AM
if its not overly difficult how about a toggle to speed up the game clock? sometimes you'll complete your objectives, rebuild/rearm after an intense fight and then still have around 12 minutes before the next mission starts (unless im doing something seriously wrong :)). Maybe like a toggle between 1X, 2X, and 4X?

Can't do it. There is an option to accelerate time in cheat mode but it will flat out break the AI processing.

If you have 12 mins left on the clock, someone else may not have that much time. So the times were based on a median to ensure that enough time is available for all types of players.

RT_
08-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Flash bang grenades only blind you for half a mere second. They're basically useless against human players. IMO, the effect should last at least two or three seconds.

dsmart
08-21-2009, 07:21 AM
The flashbang effect is based on time (12 secs) and distance (40m).

So the closer you are to the center of the blast, the longer the effect. As in time/dist. So if you are at 5m from the center of the blast, the effect will last for 2.4 secs.

To make it last for 3secs at the max distance, I'd have to revise the default values.

ShoHashi
08-21-2009, 07:59 AM
RT posted:
Flash bang grenades only blind you for half a mere second. They're basically useless against human players. IMO, the effect should last at least two or three seconds.

Not a bad suggestion.

dsmart posted:
The flashbang effect is based on time (12 secs) and distance (40m).

So the closer you are to the center of the blast, the longer the effect. As in time/dist. So if you are at 5m from the center of the blast, the effect will last for 2.4 secs.

To make it last for 3secs at the max distance, I'd have to revise the default values.

Fair enough. :)

-Sho

RT_
08-21-2009, 08:06 AM
All right, I didn't know it was distance based. I just tried it, and it's indeed quite effective from a couple meters away. Now, I still think it would be nice if it had a bit more of an effect at max range.

dsmart
08-21-2009, 09:35 AM
I have changed it from 12 to 120 seconds at point of impact. So if you are 40m away, it will take 3 secs before it clears.

dsmart
08-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Without rooms and some something approaching confined spaces (aka traversible builgings), flashbangs start to loose their purpose. The whole point of a flashbang is to catch your oponent off guard in a situaton that makes it hard for him to escape and remove his situational awareness, making it much harder to respond. Rooms provide a gameplay frame work to facilitate the use of flashbangs. Ex : you bounce one into a room and clear it. More importantly, they help to channel the flashbangs effects towards you target while simultaneously shielding you from them.

I realize that with AAW's huge terrtain, it can be pretty demanding, but it would be nice if more of the the buildings in the base were traversible.

If you had actually played the game, you'd know that the way the flash grenade works in this game, is just fine for this game. They don't need to be in-doors.

And there are no plans to add any more buildings to the game or to modify the pre-existing ones.