PDA

View Full Version : Red Faction (1 & 2) Bug Fixes

Goober
08-06-2009, 03:56 PM
There is now a full FAQ for running Red Faction & Red Faction II on Steam. Please, if you have any problems with these game, post below and we will help you.

You can view the FAQ here: RF1 & RF2 Steam FAQ (http://nebulamods.com/rf/steam/)

----------

Hi guys, if you buy RF1 or 2 on Steam, you're going to have quite a few bugs. I highly recommend that if you plan on playing RF1, you download Pure Faction (http://www.purefaction.org). It's a third-party patch which should remove all the bugs you experience as well as add quite a bit of new functionality.

Running Red Faction 2 you will likely be faced with an error stating "You must have at least 8MB of available VRAM to play Red Faction II". Assuming you do have at least 8MB of VRAM, you will need to download this patch (http://www.nebulamods.com/rf/mfpatchsteam.exe) to be able to launch the game. This problem is also in Red Faction 1, but is already fixed by Pure Faction.

If anyone has any further problems running either of these two games, please post here and I'll do my best to solve them. We (the RF community) over the years have developed patches to pretty much every bug you might face running these two games.

Have fun with Red Faction & Red Faction II!

EDIT: Updated to add link to the Steam-compatible Red Faction 2 patch.

EDIT2: Updated to include link to full FAQ.

Killz2much
08-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey, do you know if Red Faction II will work on my PC? It says DirectX 10 Nvidia cards aren't supported.

Goober
08-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I haven't personally tested RFII on a DX10 Nvidia card - but I do know that stock RF1 has strange graphical issues on any Nvidia 8 series cards or any card released since then.

I'll ask around and see if I can get a more accurate answer for you. In the meantime though, RF1 *should* run without any issues as long as you grab Pure Faction.

Killz2much
08-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Any card released after the 8 series? I'll keep in mind over the patch, maybe it works fine on the GTX series.

Goober
08-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Any Nvidia cards since & including the 8 series, I mean. As far as I know, there are no bugs with ATI cards.

Stixsworld
08-06-2009, 06:11 PM
You know I just bought Red Faction and installed the Pure Faction patch...

Guess what?

It does not work at all...

I get the launch menu and I set everything up as I want and then when I click launch game...I get this crap:
Error: Unable to initialize DirectX 8.0!
File: C:\PROJECTS\RF_PC\vsdk\directx\gr_direct3d.cpp - Line 1800

A critical error has occured and the program cannot continue.
Press OK to exit the program

---Stixsmaster

StingingVelvet
08-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I was so excited for this deal, but I want to make sure the games work on new systems... doesn't seem like that is the case so far. Bummer.

Zubren
08-06-2009, 06:24 PM
You know I just bought Red Faction and installed the Pure Faction patch...

Guess what?

It does not work at all...

I get the launch menu and I set everything up as I want and then when I click launch game...I get this crap:

---Stixsmaster
PureFaction does not work with the Steam Overlay. You'll have to launch PureFaction directly. Without PureFaction, the game crashes the instant I pick up a weapon, but PureFaction fixed that. Unfortunately it doesn't count as a Steam game while playing :(

Joe Molotov
08-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Valve really needs to exert more quality control over these older games. Publishers should not be allowed to release games on Steam that don't work on recent systems and/or aren't Vista/XP compatible. If you can't even be arsed to get your game working on systems less than 5 years old, then you should just give it away, not charge $10 for it and hope the fan community can fix it for you. It's not the first time it's happened, and it's ridiculous.

Stixsworld
08-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Huh weird...I can play RF perfectly fine without Pure Faction...and with steam overlay...

I also just got RF2...so yea...

---Stixsmaster

Killz2much
08-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Huh weird...I can play RF perfectly fine without Pure Faction...and with steam overlay...

I also just got RF2...so yea...

---Stixsmaster

What graphics card do you have?

enablerbr
08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
so whose responible for the RF1 and RF2 release. surely they could have made an effort to at least patch the vram issue for the Steam release. thanks to this thread confirming it hasn't been fixed. i won't be buying them.

Puggsy
08-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Right out of the gate, when launching RF2
this (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/terongorefiend16/Untitled-11.jpg) pops up. GRR!!

Goober
08-06-2009, 09:12 PM
this (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/terongorefiend16/Untitled-11.jpg) pops up. GRR!!

Wow. It's pathetic that THQ could re-release something THAT broken.

Having said that, I shouldn't expect any more from a company that still (9 years later) hasn't fixed the very basic of cheat holes; the fact that you can edit a txt file and fly through walls... in any official version server.

@Stixsworld: Run the game in "Stretched" mode or "Windowed" mode, should fix that problem.

Yes, as long as you don't have any of those bugs, you can play the game perfectly fine, but as a long-time community member I'd like to say that due to the insane amount of serious security holes in any official version of RF1, I'd HIGHLY recommend not playing it unless you've got Pure Faction. Feel free to play without it of course (if you can that is... most users won't be able to due to bugs) but I'd recommend against it.

Scavar
08-06-2009, 09:26 PM
So Red Faction 1 works perfectly fine for me, Red Faction II on the other hand doesn't. I've tried the VRAM fix linked here, but it doesn't seem to work for me at all. I'm Vista 64bit with an nVidia 8800GTX.

Any other ideas, or possible idea of perhaps me doing something incorrectly?(It was pretty simple so I don't know how I could be)

Goober
08-06-2009, 09:45 PM
What problem are you having?

Stixsworld
08-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I got Pure Faction to work...just cut steam ingame off...

Also I havent tried RF2 yet...but doubt I will have any troubles with it...

Anyone curious of what my specs are go here: http://www.stixsworld.com/DxDiag.txt

---Stixsmaster

Goober
08-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Yea, with those specs you shouldn't have any issues with the stock game, but I'd still highly recommend you grab Pure for the reason stated in my other post.

Also, Valve should probably fix the RF2 page on the store. RF2 has no multiplayer. (Well it has botmatch, but that's not really multiplayer)

Stixsworld
08-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Yea I got Pure Faction and am using it over the stock game...

I have to say tho...the game pwns in general...

---Stixsmaster

Goober
08-06-2009, 10:17 PM
So Red Faction 1 works perfectly fine for me, Red Faction II on the other hand doesn't. I've tried the VRAM fix linked here, but it doesn't seem to work for me at all. I'm Vista 64bit with an nVidia 8800GTX.

Wait, RF1 works fine stock? Or have you already downloaded Pure?

Tannhauser
08-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Hmm... didn't have any luck with the RF2 patcher you linked to Goober. When I try to run RF2 after using it, I still get the "At least 8 MB of available video memory is required to run Red Faction!" message. Pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, since I get the following message:
"C:\[stuff]\red faction ii\rf2.exe
-File successfully patched!
[1 bytes written]"

If it makes a difference, I'm running Vista 64x, a 8800 GT, and 4 GB of RAM.

Puggsy
08-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Im running vista 64x too.
RF2 is giving me the "no cd" crap
an RF1 works fine without any type of patches. (played flawlessly for a solid hour)

jdub
08-06-2009, 10:58 PM
$40 for 3 games seemed like a good deal, until i found out because of bugs and my GTX 200 series card, two of the games won't be playable, and they're buggy anyways. And theres a reputation for bad ports from someone involved in the game. UN-SOLD!!!!

ATimson
08-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Hmm... didn't have any luck with the RF2 patcher you linked to Goober. When I try to run RF2 after using it, I still get the "At least 8 MB of available video memory is required to run Red Faction!" message. Pretty sure I'm installing it correctly, since I get the following message:
"C:\[stuff]\red faction ii\rf2.exe
-File successfully patched!
[1 bytes written]"
The patcher for the retail version won't work with the Steam one, because after the Steam protection is applied to the executable the offsets will have changed.

Ubusunagami
08-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Red Faction starts just fine without any issues, but when I am doing the tutorial, as soon as I leave the elevator and the guy talks about the steam-something, the game crashes. Is this fixed with the patch?

Europhoria
08-06-2009, 11:31 PM
You know I'm almost glad the games are restricted here. Still, vote to have this thread stickied since it's a good start for those looking to trouble-shoot.

Goober
08-06-2009, 11:35 PM
The patcher for the retail version won't work with the Steam one, because after the Steam protection is applied to the executable the offsets will have changed.

I doubt there is any "Steam protection", I believe it just downloads the original copy of the game.

I wonder if the Steam version of RF2 came with the 1.01 patch :o

The patcher I linked requires that to work.

Torinir
08-06-2009, 11:52 PM

Same problem here.

As for RF1, no crashes or errors... yet.

Running on Vista x64 here.

Torinir
08-06-2009, 11:53 PM
I doubt there is any "Steam protection", I believe it just downloads the original copy of the game.

I wonder if the Steam version of RF2 came with the 1.01 patch :o

The patcher I linked requires that to work.

It does use the 1.01 patch, however, Steam DOES use slightly modified executables as their form of protection.

Alienchild
08-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Red Faction 1 & 2 works perfectly here. Did 1 mission in RF2 and came about 1/5th in RF1 (if memory serves well). No bugs yet.

System: Pentium 2,4ghz QuadCore, GeForce 9800GTX+, 3GB ram, WinXP, FireWire 1814 external soundcard

drworm1555
08-07-2009, 03:16 AM
I think it's working for you because you're on Windows XP, so it's running on DirectX 9. I'm on Windows 7 and dxdiag is telling me I'm on DirectX 11, but I think I'm really on 10.

dustymalone
08-07-2009, 03:17 AM
I played RF1 for about twenty minutes and it played fine without Pure Faction. So far.
RF2 is giving me the insert cd error.

I am running Win7 RC Build 7100
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS

RED-FROG
08-07-2009, 09:14 AM
I didn't follow this thread.

But does it say Version1.00 or Version 1.20 in the menu?
PF only works with the latest v1.20 afaik.

If this isn't v1.00 then I really don't know what that bunch of lazy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s have been doing (THQ/Volition)

They haven't even fixed the game for nowadays hardware.
WHAT THE HELL

Goober
08-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Yea, REDFROG it's 1.2 as far as I know. If it's not, the next version of Pure Faction (due out VERY soon) automatically installs a 1.2 tables.vpp file so it won't matter what version you install it to. ;)

UTWarden
08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
for those with RF1, in the SP first bug you'll encounter, the sub Explodes...if this happens your F-ed, this is a game breaker.

I didn't know about Pure Faction though.. :(

Goober
08-07-2009, 11:05 AM
That's a FPS related bug. Pure Faction offers an option to cap your FPS, if you experience that problem I'd recommend just setting your FPS max to like 50 until the sub is in the water.

That option is in the new Pure Faction (due to be released extremely soon) and i think it's in 2.1. (the version currently on the site)

I'll see what I can do about getting the new version released as soon as possible. In the meantime if you have no other option, grab FRAPS and record a 15fps video (forcing your in-game FPS to 15) while the sub is falling, that should also fix it.

goweb
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
For the no CD problem, if you have a disc in your drive then remove it. I'm running RFII in a virtual machine and had the no CD problem until I disconnected the CD image I had attached to it.

Misanthroat
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
For those getting the "Insert CD" error...
Do you currently have a CD/DVD in any of the drives when attempting to launch?

*Edit=Haha the post above must have been added when I was adding mine

Goober
08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
We're working on getting a patch for the "8MB VRAM" bug & the cd-rom needed bug in RF2.

For RF1; Pure should solve all the problems but the Steam overlay won't work. Will see what I can do about that. I'm talking to Pure's author now.

RED-FROG
08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
So what version of Red Faction1 does Steam install?

V1.00 or V1.20?

I can see a server running 7/12 in 1.0 at the moment.

Guys, v1.00 is full of cheaters. Step on to PureFaction(.org)
It's been out for over a year, maybe 2, and it has proven itself.

But this only works if your Red Faction is patched to v1.20 (it shows in the menu.

If it's not, visit Levels4you.com and download the patch there.
I'm not sure how hard/easy it is to install it over the RF steam version though.

Have fun with Red Faction1 everyone. :)

Goober
08-07-2009, 11:43 AM
It installs RF v1.2, REDFROG.

erwem576
08-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Error: Unable to initialize DirectX 8.0!
File: C:\PROJECTS\RF_PC\vsdk\directx\gr_direct3d.cpp - Line 1800

A critical error has occured and the program cannot continue.
Press OK to exit the program

I'm getting this with Red Faction 1 with or without Pure Faction and hitting .exes directly. So far, Red Faction II seems to work but I won't be surprised if I run into some bugs.

GTX 280, Vista 64 Home Premium, 8 GB of RAM. Everything fully up to date.

Goober
08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Launch Pure Faction in "Stretched" or "Windowed" mode, not "Normal Window".

Tannhauser
08-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I wonder if they patched the original Red Faction on the sly? The Steam version is working fine right away. However, I've played an original disc version of Red Faction on this same computer, and I have to use fan-patches to avoid the '8 MB of VRAM' error. Strange.

And if they did patch it, why fix only the original and not RFII?

Killz2much
08-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I just played RF1 without the PureFaction patch and it ran perfectly fine. Only issues I have are audio problems in the segment of the game I'm currently in.

Stixsworld
08-07-2009, 02:56 PM
steam version of Red Faction 1 is v1.21 not v1.20

---Stixsmaster

Goober
08-07-2009, 03:06 PM
All that's changed from what we can tell is the addition of two client-side bug fixes and the addition of Steam protection (so it cannot be run without Steam), leaving hundreds of very serious serverside and clientside security vulnerabilities.

If you want to play RF1 online, grab Pure Faction to avoid these vulnerabilities. For single player, it doesn't really matter but you may find yourself missing some of the added PF features.

As for RF2; we're working on getting a patch for the "Insert CD" bug and the "8MB VRAM" bug that is compatible with the Steam version.

JoeB
08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
For those of you with ATI video cards, switch off "ATI Catalyst". I found it eliminates several of the problems including the flickering, unresponsive mouse making the game fully playable. Even the steam overlay will then work in fullscreen.

EDIT: Red Faction 2 won't work though (I do get the 8MB Vram error)

Puggsy
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
For everyone with 4GB of RAM and up:
I filed a ticket about the RF2 "No CD" error and this is the temporary fix.

There is a workaround for this issue to allow the this game to run on machines with more than 4gb of RAM.

Please go to Start>Run in Windows and type Msconfig.
Click on the Boot tab and choose Advanced Options.
Check the Maximum Memory box and change the setting to 2048.
Click OK here and in the remaining menu.
Restart your computer and then re-test the issue.

Just remember this will cut your computer down to 2GB. You may need to re-enable the rest of your RAM for higher end games.

StingingVelvet
08-07-2009, 05:11 PM
All that's changed from what we can tell is the addition of two client-side bug fixes and the addition of Steam protection (so it cannot be run without Steam), leaving hundreds of very serious serverside and clientside security vulnerabilities.

If you want to play RF1 online, grab Pure Faction to avoid these vulnerabilities. For single player, it doesn't really matter but you may find yourself missing some of the added PF features.

As for RF2; we're working on getting a patch for the "Insert CD" bug and the "8MB VRAM" bug that is compatible with the Steam version.

Thanks for your dilligence.

Goober
08-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Pure Faction 3.0 has now been released. I know some of you have been complaining about the sub exploding upon contact with the water, the r_maxfps console command in PF 3.0 should fix this issue (set maxfps to around 50 until the sub is in the water)

PF 3.0 also adds a ton of new functionality and 6 new custom maps. (3DM and 3CTF)

Hope you guys enjoy, and I hope to see you all playing soon. We've got a few PF 3.0 servers up if anyone wants to play with us. :)

You can grab Pure 3.0 at the PF website: http://www.purefaction.org/

sltrhouseking
08-08-2009, 10:36 AM
For everyone with 4GB of RAM and up:
I filed a ticket about the RF2 "No CD" error and this is the temporary fix.

There is a workaround for this issue to allow the this game to run on machines with more than 4gb of RAM.

Please go to Start>Run in Windows and type Msconfig.
Click on the Boot tab and choose Advanced Options.
Check the Maximum Memory box and change the setting to 2048.
Click OK here and in the remaining menu.
Restart your computer and then re-test the issue.

Just remember this will cut your computer down to 2GB. You may need to re-enable the rest of your RAM for higher end games.

This fix worked for me :)
it has nothing to do with GPU's considering i have a gtx295 on win7 64 bit... this is all a bad ram problem and hopefully steam can patch it.

This problem does not include dx10 by any means, because i just got done playing it. But i would recommend playing RF1 due to RF2 being lame lol

waR`.se
08-08-2009, 12:15 PM
The fix for the 8mb VRAM problem in RF2 is found on the first post on this topic.

sltrhouseking
08-08-2009, 12:47 PM
The fix for the 8mb VRAM problem in RF2 is found on the first post on this topic.

some of us dont get the error... it just wont load. steams fix to this works.

MADDOGGE
08-08-2009, 01:10 PM
for those with RF1, in the SP first bug you'll encounter, the sub Explodes...if this happens your F-ed, this is a game breaker.

I didn't know about Pure Faction though.. :(I haven't played RF1 in over a year since finding Pure faction. Before PF when you get to the sub, use cheats and go into God mode and swim through the underwater tunnel to where the sub should have taken you. Climb out, de-God yourself and continue. I spent over two hours before deciding to look and see if it had cheats. I normally don't use cheats except to just explore in a game, unfortunately in this one it's needed or you go no further. I can't remember if Pure Faction fixed that bug or not. It's really sad. Such a great old game One of the first I remember with destuctable environments and the developers don't give a damn but want you to buy their newest stuff.

RF1/RF2/AvP1/Carbon/Undercover, the list goes on of unpatched games. yet they want your new business!

Goober
08-08-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm in the middle of creating a tutorial on how to get around that "exploding sub" bug. Should be done soon and I'll post a link here. ;)

Puggsy
08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Well now there were all on the topic of the sub..
When i got to the sub dock after over loading all the systems..
The guy in the booth was really far back so i coulddnt ask him to drop the sub which is suspended in the air. anybody know how to get past this?

Goober
08-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Blow up the wall, kill him and press the button yourself.

Ok ok, you don't have to kill him; but where's the fun in that? :P

Goober
08-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Oh, and Valve mod that posted the sticky topic: the bug happens with 4gb RAM, not just over 4gb. There is a patch to this problem in the first post in this thread, it's probably better to direct users to this patch rather than have them kill 2gb of their RAM.

waR`.se
08-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Also it does not only happen with 64 bit, those that can use over 3gb of RAM in 32 bit will get this problem as well.

And lol 4mb of RAM is what it says on the sticky :P

I sent the one that made the Sticky a PM.

Goober
08-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Ok, the RF1/RF2 Steam FAQ is up. You can find it here: RF1 & RF2 Steam FAQ (http://nebulamods.com/rf/steam/)

sltrhouseking
08-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Ok, the RF1/RF2 Steam FAQ is up. You can find it here: RF1 & RF2 Steam FAQ (http://nebulamods.com/rf/steam/)

not really a FAQ but moreso a source for fixes :)

erwem576
08-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I'd written a few pages back. Thanks to Goober and a bunch of others for their help. Everything is running great now. Very helpful thread all the way around. :)

GrimCW
08-09-2009, 11:19 AM
if anyone hasn't mentioned this yet, you can run red faction from your steam list without going through the add non steam games thing.
just rename the PF.exe from pure faction to RedFaction.exe and have fun!

waR`.se
08-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I would rename the file PFLauncher.exe to RedFaction.exe instead that way you will alway be able to get a hold of all the game settings and updates that may be released for PF.

MADDOGGE
08-09-2009, 07:54 PM
There is now a full FAQ for running Red Faction & Red Faction II on Steam. Please, if you have any problems with these game, post below and we will help you.

You can view the FAQ here: RF1 & RF2 Steam FAQ (http://nebulamods.com/rf/steam/)

----------

Hi guys, if you buy RF1 or 2 on Steam, you're going to have quite a few bugs. I highly recommend that if you plan on playing RF1, you download Pure Faction (http://www.purefaction.org). It's a third-party patch which should remove all the bugs you experience as well as add quite a bit of new functionality.

Running Red Faction 2 you will likely be faced with an error stating "You must have at least 8MB of available VRAM to play Red Faction II". Assuming you do have at least 8MB of VRAM, you will need to download this patch (http://www.nebulamods.com/rf/mfpatchsteam.exe) to be able to launch the game. This problem is also in Red Faction 1, but is already fixed by Pure Faction.

If anyone has any further problems running either of these two games, please post here and I'll do my best to solve them. We (the RF community) over the years have developed patches to pretty much every bug you might face running these two games.

Great info. The second patch allowed me to move one more of the 4 or 5 games I still have left on my XP partition, to Win7 64. Thanks a bunch. Do you know if this patch will work for any other games that show the same 8 meg error or is it specific to RF2?

There is also a community patch out there for AvP1 that fixes the video problems with that game also. Thank God for the community brains. It's for damn sure the developers don't care once they have their money! Now if the TR community can get the advanced installer for TR1 to work on 64bit systems I'll just about have it made.

waR`.se
08-10-2009, 03:31 AM
No the patch is made for RF2 only but RF1 has it's own patch that is included with PF.

MADDOGGE
08-10-2009, 10:26 AM
No the patch is made for RF2 only but RF1 has it's own patch that is included with PF.No what I was getting at is the second patch addresses the problem with the 8 meg vram problem in RF2 specifically but I was wondering if that same patch might work for a couple of other games that I have that give the same error. If it doesn't it might be modifiable since it doesn't seem to be a large patch at all. Not a lot of recoding.

ATimson
08-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Not a lot of recoding.
It may not seem like a lot, but it would have to be more or less recorded from scratch for any other game--both finding where the right offset is, and then finding the appropriate jump instruction to replace the original with.

GrimCW
08-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I would rename the file PFLauncher.exe to RedFaction.exe instead that way you will alway be able to get a hold of all the game settings and updates that may be released for PF.

true true
when i looked back i thought the same thing :p
but then ignored it as i had already set what i wanted and decided to stick with that :)

but it works no less, so no need to have the game hanging at the bottom of the list with the non-steam games :P
wish they'd make a UI update where you could sort things better TBH though.
that'd be kewl.

waR`.se
08-10-2009, 02:16 PM
No what I was getting at is the second patch addresses the problem with the 8 meg vram problem in RF2 specifically but I was wondering if that same patch might work for a couple of other games that I have that give the same error. If it doesn't it might be modifiable since it doesn't seem to be a large patch at all. Not a lot of recoding.

No that patch is for RF2 only but sure someone could probably create a similar patch for those games that you get the same error on.

What other game is it that you get this problem on?

SparkTR
08-11-2009, 04:03 AM
Would it be possible to have anti-aliasing enabled in Red Faction? I tried forcing AA with both the Nvidia Control Panel and nhancer, but nothing happens. Has anyone found a solution? :confused:

Goober
08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
It's not built in, but it works for me if I force it in the Nvidia Control Panel.

nymosis
08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Ok, are there any reports of anyone getting RF2 to run in Vista/7 x64 through Steam? At first I had the 8mb RAM problem, and the patch got rid of that error message but didn't do anything else. All I get is the options menu and then when I hit play it just loads a black screen with no audio. This game seems to have severe compatibility problems.

enggmaster
08-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Here's another bug, when playing RF1, if you get to the escape pod level, it will automatically exit to the main menu.

Never mind, I found a fix to it. You're supposed to go to the upper level and unlock the lower level first, then you go to the reactor room to start the countdown, then you're supposed to go to the escape pod. For some reason, the game allowed me to enter the escape pod directly without starting the reactor, which caused the glitch.

Arckeiner
08-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Ok, are there any reports of anyone getting RF2 to run in Vista/7 x64 through Steam? At first I had the 8mb RAM problem, and the patch got rid of that error message but didn't do anything else. All I get is the options menu and then when I hit play it just loads a black screen with no audio. This game seems to have severe compatibility problems.

I run in 7 x64, and after using the patch on the RF2.exe the message just don't appear anymore. :o
After clicking play on the launcher I got a black screen and nothing more. If I lauch the game directly by the RF2.exe it's the same thing. :rolleyes:

waR`.se
08-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Could have something to do with the videos in the game.

NorseLaQuet
08-14-2009, 10:17 PM
No what I was getting at is the second patch addresses the problem with the 8 meg vram problem in RF2 specifically but I was wondering if that same patch might work for a couple of other games that I have that give the same error. If it doesn't it might be modifiable since it doesn't seem to be a large patch at all. Not a lot of recoding.

The patch works by jumping over the code responsible for checking video memory requirements. It was pretty easy to find, as a matter of fact, because the error message only appeared in the string table once and the address of the string was only referred to in the code once. I imagine that it would be just as easy for other games as well, though you would have to patch one each individually.

What other games are you talking about? Perhaps it may be possible for graphics card vendors to re-support the older video card metrics interface correctly. Though if that fails, finding bugs like these are fairly simple. Unlike anti-piracy code developers don't make an effort to obfuscate video card metric validation ;)

Arckeiner
08-17-2009, 02:38 PM
And about a working patch to make every one able to play? :D
If it's a video issue what do we do??:confused:
If not... err... what do we do?
The error message is not displayed anymore but the game freeze each time.

Halo572
08-19-2009, 05:33 AM
I happened to buy Red Faction on ebay for £3.00 this week and having installed it and getting the 8 meg error message came across this thread.

If it is of any use in trying to work out what the problem is with the Steam version - I installed the Pure Faction patch and it now runs.

The main screen is graphically corrupted but this goes when playing the game.

I would have been tempted by the 3 for the price of one offer, but I like to have the disks so that I can always replay them in the future.

Goober
08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
The main screen is graphically corrupted but this goes when playing the game.

Can you either post or PM me a screenshot of that? It's a bug that I've heard of, but never seen in person... it's quite rare.

As for the Steam version, your main menu screen should be exactly the same with the retail or Steam versions.

bes
08-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the links...mybe I can pull this (http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn134/BES12000/RedFactionDisks.jpg) out of mothballs and try it out on a Quad-core with Win7 64bit...

If not ill have to pull my Pent 3 800mhz out of mothballs..lol

its got 1gig of ram and a 32meg AGP vid card

orteil
08-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I also get the black screen with no sound after pressing "Play" on the launcher. Is there anything I can do about that?

Halo572
08-20-2009, 03:42 PM
It won't capture, all I get is the screen without the corruption. It is black lines of various sizes that randomly scroll up/down the screen when the mouse is moved.

The THQ and other splash screens also flicker violently on launch and it happens occasionally whilst playing so that it is near impossible to see what is going on, mostly when a cut scene involves a monitor.

An odd thing I have noticed from trying to take a screen dump is that the flickering goes if it is running in a window with the task bar visible, although you can't access minimise, close or resize.

Other than that it runs perfectly most of the time with no crashes or sound bugs. It's a good game and without Pure Faction I doubt I would have got it to run.

Goober
09-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't know if I'm allowed to bump here... but I'd like to request that this thread be stickied.

mclazyj
09-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I just played RF1 without the PureFaction patch and it ran perfectly fine. Only issues I have are audio problems in the segment of the game I'm currently in.

This is my issue. Everything is working fine on Vista x64. But the audio is way out of sync when watching the cut scenes. The audio out runs the video segments when they play through. It has not crash on me however, which puts me in the minority I guess. And I am running the Steam version.

trusteft
09-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I have the gamersgate version, with the 3.0 purefaction patch. Running under Vista 64 home premium. The game ran fine when I tried without installing the purefaction patch, but the limited amount of resolutions available forced me to install the purefaction patch. After that the game runs just fine (1920x1200), although I too have noticed (I never played the game pre patch to know if was happening before the patch) if the out of sync cut scenes, but between you and me, I couldn't care less. The game is fun although currently stuck with that huge worm thing.

wildpeaks
09-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I also get the black screen with no sound after pressing "Play" on the launcher. Is there anything I can do about that?

I get this as well after pressing Play on the launcher of RF2 (on Vista32u / 8800 GTX / 4Gb RAM / 2Gb VRAM).

trusteft
09-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Try the Pure Faction LAuncher. IT works for me.

wildpeaks
09-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Try the Pure Faction LAuncher. IT works for me.

Isn't Pure Faction only for RF1, not RF2 ?

Goober
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Yes, Pure is for RF1 only, not RF2. If you've got more issues with RFII, post details and we can see what we can do ;)

wildpeaks
09-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Yes, Pure is for RF1 only, not RF2. If you've got more issues with RFII, post details and we can see what we can do ;)
Here's the details:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11183307&postcount=88
;)

poiZin
09-13-2009, 09:04 AM
I also get the same issue.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
EVGA 780i
EVGA GTX 260 core 216
4GB RAM

Royal Fool
09-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I just want to thank the folks responsible for the Pure Faction patch for making it, it certainly helped me.

gsparx
10-19-2009, 11:45 PM
but I've been looking for days and I can't find anything. I got the retail version from my friend and none of the steam fixes are working. Are there any retail fixes?

Thanks

PS(Mod's please delete this if you don't want it here)

AmonAmarth
10-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Hello everyone.
I don't know if this has already been mentioned in the previous posts but here's my problem : I bought Deal Pack a week ago and I got no problem with RF1 but when I tried to start RF2, a black screen appeared and I had no way but reboot my PC... Is there any bug fix for this?

Thanks.

What a ******! Didn't see it was just above. Anyway I have this problem! ='(

louiekidd
11-29-2009, 03:20 AM
so i just tackled this same problem and i want to add my little finding to this discussion, whether it's been said or not i'm not sure as i didn't want to read all 7 pages.

I found the patch listed here DOES work for RF2, running windows 7 64-bit with Nvidia geforce 8800GTS. The thing is, you can't launch the game using steam. Once you apply the patch, you need to launch the rf2.exe directly. Which means it's probably most convenient to just right click it and "send to desktop" to have your own shortcut straight to the patched exe. For those still having trouble on this after doing the patch, try ignoring steam and running the exe directly and see what happens, seems to have done the trick for me.

MADDOGGE
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM
so whose responible for the RF1 and RF2 release. surely they could have made an effort to at least patch the vram issue for the Steam release. thanks to this thread confirming it hasn't been fixed. i won't be buying them. I wasn't able to play my RF1 for years until PF patch came out. They simply don't care. It an utter embarrassment or should be to them to leave it to the community to fix their games. That should have been one of the first things done before the release of RF3. AvP1 is also unplayable without a community patch and here we have AvP3 coming out from the same studio that did the first one and still no official patch for the first game.:mad:

It's not Valves fault . People scream for games and they get them for us and then get slammed for it because the developers are ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s.

madato
12-01-2009, 04:00 AM
The THQ pack really does have some broken games. It's not cool at all.

You should edit and mention in your original post, GOOBER, that to use the patch for Red Faction 2, you have to locate the RF2.exe file and not the Red Faction 2.exe file in your steamapps/common folder.

You had a direct link to the patcher, and I didn't know what to patch. There are two exes.

cssnoob
12-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Red faction guerilla failed to launch, error code 51

Fatal_Enigma
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Hmm, on 22" rf II seems really laggy, then I checked and I only get 15 fps on a GTX260 lol, how can I fix?

I have a feeling it is drivers, but can't be sure, such bad fps lag is hurting my eyes :P.

I am using 182.50, had no problems and so far, seen no reason to update :P.

janitoR
12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Red Faction 2 crashes every time I try to start a single player game, I installed the 8mb fix earlier and it lets me get in game, but only to crash when I start a new game.

Elvis_85
01-02-2010, 02:10 AM
I also get the same issue.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
EVGA 780i
EVGA GTX 260 core 216
4GB RAM

Same here too. I tried all suggested patch without any success. I also noticed that one of my core is 100% used (50% of total CPU usage on a Intel Dual core).

Windows Xp Pro SP3
Intel T2500 (Dual core 2GHz)
NVidia 7600 Go (512Mb)
4GB RAM

masta121
01-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Bump for useful thread.

Lanzer
02-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the patch for RF 2 , I got a Gateway DX4822-01 system running on Windows 7 64 Bit and RF works great, i bypass the loader
program and just run rf2, thanks again

Gvaz
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't have this game on steam (I have it on a retail disk) but I tried the red faction 2 fix in the op and it does not work. I get the vram issue anyways with a black screen.

Help? :(

Gvaz
04-23-2010, 03:01 PM

The non-steam patch for this doesn't work on windows 7 64bit

e_gman2
04-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Hello, I have a problem with loading times, and I dont yet know how to force DX9 on my game.

Specs:

Nvidia Geforce pro 9600 series
AMD athlon 64
Windows Vista 32-bit

Yeowj
05-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Thank you poster. The patch fixed the black screen I had when launching the game on my new desktop. Rep added

Cdsand
06-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Red Faction 2 crashes every time I try to start a single player game, I installed the 8mb fix earlier and it lets me get in game, but only to crash when I start a new game.

This is what I'm dealing with as well. I got RF2 in the THQ pack during the big sale and I had always wanted to try it... but it won't work so far.

cyonfan
06-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok I just bought the THQ complete package deal and after installing Red Faction II I decided to try it out. Open it up and click Play. Right after I click Play it gives me an error saying this:
"Your currently selected video card (click on Setup, then the Display Settings tab) dos not meet the minimum system requirements for running Red Faction II. Please install the necessary hardware and try again."

My graphics card is an ATI 4890 with the latest driver, there is no way in hell this card is out dated enough for this game. What the hell should I do?
Thanks in advance.

Dewk
07-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Here's the details:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11183307&postcount=88
;)

I have this issue too. Using Vista 64 Home, Radeon HD 5870, 4GB RAM.

JayJayX
07-28-2010, 05:08 AM
For the no CD problem, if you have a disc in your drive then remove it. I'm running RFII in a virtual machine and had the no CD problem until I disconnected the CD image I had attached to it.

Which kind of Virtual machine? The Xp-Mode in Win7 doesn't work and VirtualBox doesn't work too :(

satrincha
08-07-2010, 12:54 PM
RF1 work fine
RF2 I was the ""You must have at least 8MB of available VRAM to play Red Faction II"" message. Patch work OK. But now i have black screen and nothing happen ... what i can do ? (7 64b)

JayJayX
08-07-2010, 02:32 PM
RF1 work fine
RF2 I was the ""You must have at least 8MB of available VRAM to play Red Faction II"" message. Patch work OK. But now i have black screen and nothing happen ... what i can do ? (7 64b)

I have the exact same Problem here :( Can you tell me wich Graphik card you own?

satrincha
08-07-2010, 05:02 PM
HIS 5850

JayJayX
08-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Ok, I thought it was an Nvidia Problem. Seems not to be...

Capt_Maloche
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
No

I tried it on 3 different PC equiped of Nvidia and ATI, DirectX 9 and DirectX10, Windows XP SP3 and Seven

NO WAY :(

I have this problem of black screen and PC blocked since December 2009

I tried all of the patch and fix

All of my Steam games are running Normaly

THE PROBLEM IS ON STEAM !

SO, is anybody has seen This Game running On Steam??

JohnZ
09-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, at home, I have solved the problem of black screen, replacing "rf2.exe" by this one (http://www.mirorii.com/fichier/78/320473/rf2-sfx-exe.html) (created by Vdox). So Unrar (sfx) and replace rf2.exe in Steam install directory (for example : "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\red faction ii\").

Bonus : Programmers have disabled intentionally some Cheats in their code. This .exe reintroduces them.

Super Health xxywywz
Infinite Grenades zxzyxzxz
Director's Cut yxzwzxyw
Rapid Rails zyzyxxww
Gibby Ammo xxxxyzxx
Extra Chunky zzzzwxzz
Bouncing Bombs zzzzzzzz

Infinite Ammo ywxzyzxw
Wacky Deaths wwwwwwww
Walking Dead xxxxxxxx
Rain of Fire yyyyyyyy
Gibby Explosions wzxywzxy
Explosive Personality x

Win Game yxyx
All Weapons y

Unlock Everything wwxxyzyz
Unlock All Cheats yzwzyxwx
Unlock All Levels zyxwyzxx

osigurac
09-26-2010, 09:24 PM
This http://www.nebulamods.com/rf/mfpatchsteam.exe fixed it for me.

Win 7 64-bit
steam overlay
ATI 5870

comfortjjc
10-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Ok I just bought the THQ complete package deal and after installing Red Faction II I decided to try it out. Open it up and click Play. Right after I click Play it gives me an error saying this:
"Your currently selected video card (click on Setup, then the Display Settings tab) dos not meet the minimum system requirements for running Red Faction II. Please install the necessary hardware and try again."

My graphics card is an ATI 4890 with the latest driver, there is no way in hell this card is out dated enough for this game. What the hell should I do?
Thanks in advance.

i am having the same problem. let me no if the is a solution

FerrousIronclaw
10-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Hi all.

I've been trying for a good half hour to get RF2 to work now, and despite downloading the patch I just get a clear screen with no mouse cursor (allowing me to see the desktop) and RF2 just stops responding. This is really starting to annoy...

Zeathy
10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
i am having the same problem. let me no if the is a solution

Ditto, same issue.

Balmert
10-28-2010, 02:35 PM
RF2 not working for me even with the patch ...

Monster_user
11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
SO, is anybody has seen This Game running On Steam??

Dell Inspiron i530
Core 2 Duo E7500
4GB DDR2-800
XFX Geforce GT 240 512mb
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
16:9 LCD (1440x900)

CRASHES: 0%
FREEZES: 0%
GRAPHICAL ANOMOLIES: 0% (thus far)

All three games seem to work without difficulty. Actually, Red Faction 1 does not like 16:9 resolutions...

mclout99
11-03-2010, 04:00 PM
I get a black sceen and escape returns you to windows. No errors no function. I aplied the VGA mem patch but not good. What Can I do here. This sucks. They shold not sell it can't be plaied.

Win 7 64 with 12GB ram.

Brom
11-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I get the graphics card error too whenever I try starting the game. So when I actually do go to settings and try to update directx (as it tells me to), it tells I need to have the CD inserted. And when I click update directx, I get the "insert cd" message.

NebulaMods-digi
11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
For the people still having trouble with RF2 - I'll do some debugging as soon as I get access to a Steam version of RF2 :)

Evilution
12-19-2010, 03:12 PM
I get a black sceen and escape returns you to windows. No errors no function. I aplied the VGA mem patch but not good. What Can I do here. This sucks. They shold not sell it can't be plaied.

Win 7 64 with 12GB ram.

I'm having the same problem with Red Faction II. This is what THQ told me to do:

"Red Faction and Red Faction 2 are not supported on Windows 7 or any 64-Bit operating system. On top of that, the game was never tested on the newer video cards.

I cannot guarantee that the game will run on your system, but you can try setting the actual executable to Compatability mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Steam\steamapps\common Locate and open the Red Faction II folder. Right click the Red Faction II executable and choose compatibility. Place a check mark int he Run In Compatability Mode for Window XP Service Pack 3 and click Apply and OK.

Then right click the executable and choose Run as Administrator."

This has not worked either. Any other fixes that I could try?

Thanks

Monster_user
12-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Maybe try setting Red Faction to single core mode?

Open "Notepad" (Wordpad *.rtf usually leaves too much junk), and copy the following. Then change the file from a *.txt, to a *.bat.
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red faction"
start /B /AFFINITY 1 redfaction.exe

I've upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and Red Faction 1 continues to work without difficulty. I uninstalled Red Faction 2 because the graphics were horrible.

Dell Inspiron i530
Core 2 Duo E7500
6GB DDR2-800
XFX Geforce GT 240 512mb
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
16:9 LCD (1440x900)

I've been playing Red Faction for a few days now, and no issues.

eloscuro341
12-26-2010, 12:43 PM
...after installing Red Faction II I decided to try it out. Open it up and click Play. Right after I click Play it gives me an error saying this:

...there is no way in hell this card is out dated enough for this game. What the hell should I do?
Thanks in advance.

(my bold formatting)

I also have this problem. I tried the patch for RFII solution suggested above, but no joy. Any solutions would be welcome.

P.S. A lot of these old games seem to have serious issues with compatibility. I had similar issues with a couple of other titles I recently bought. It's pretty irritating, to be honest; if the devs can't be bothered to properly update them then they should be released with warnings or not released at all.

Kamikave
12-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Is there any way to force the binding on the ALT key in RF 1 ? I'm using it for left strafing, I've been doing so for 15 years, and there's no way I will change my habits because of some idiotic dev who didn't consider the possibility. Same reason I didn't play Bioshock more than 2 hours (can't bind W for crouch -_-).
So if someone knows a way, please tell me.

Bumbuliuz
01-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I bought RF 1 and RF 2, RF 1 works for me, after a single crash. I haven't downloaded RF 2 yet to try it. I have played them in the past, I think I just bought them to complete my RF Steam set :)

Phantombadger
01-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Why are people still posting in this thread about how RF2 doesnt work. USE THE PATCH link on the OP. Why isnt a Similar thread for this common issue Stickied?? I used the autopatcher and RF2 works. didnt have an issue with RF1 other than the non 4:3 ratio crashing it, but hey pillar box isnt so bad.

@Kamikave youve been using he same controls from 15 years ago. mouse navigation, locked single axis view, Alt for strafe, space as fire. and W? for Crouch? You do know that the WADS config has been pretty standard for the past decade. Even enhancing games like doom and Wolf with Zdoom, and Newwolf to use mouselook and WADS greatly increases the interface IMO. Maybe it is you who should adapt to the Standard Config instead of Every Dev wasting time/revenue beyond the profit of one person buying the game for a system that is inferior.

Kamikave
01-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Let's see... On QUERTY, that would be
S : forward
X : Backward
ALT : strafe left
SPACE : strafe right
Q : reload
W : use/open
A / Z : jump,crouch
SHIFT : alternate fire
which leaves a lot of keys (E, D,C, CTRL) to bind to other fonctions. Very usefull for Deux Ex, and many others.
So, screw WADS. Why should I bother to change something that works perfectly on every game but 2 ?
I deleted Red Faction 1 btw.

ganner23
02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
I just bought Red Faction 2 on Steam and like seemingly everybody else, I can't run it.
When I try to launch it, I just get a black screen and the processor seems to work a lot. But nothing happens and I have to Ctrl-alt-del out of it.

I tried the patch, I tried to reduce my RAM, I tried the compatibility mode. Nothing changed.

I'm on Windows Vista Family Premium Edition,
AMD Thurion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 (2CPUs)
3GB RAM

Friendliest
02-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Valve really needs to exert more quality control over these older games. Publishers should not be allowed to release games on Steam that don't work on recent systems and/or aren't Vista/XP compatible. If you can't even be arsed to get your game working on systems less than 5 years old, then you should just give it away, not charge $10 for it and hope the fan community can fix it for you. It's not the first time it's happened, and it's ridiculous.

yes, but it won't happen. greed trumps.

Red Faction starts just fine without any issues, but when I am doing the tutorial, as soon as I leave the elevator and the guy talks about the steam-something, the game crashes. Is this fixed with the patch?

same problem on mine. FWIW I am using win 7 64Bit Nvidia GTX470 w/ latest, and basically, standard settings. crashes during the line about the "airlock" door.

Edit: found a fix.

was using 1600x1200 resolution and noticed that the hud and subtitles weren't drawing correctly. lowered it to 1280x960 and made it past that point, and into the game a bit. seems to be working fine ATM.

BTW yes I am using the purefaction 3.0 to set my settings. the game wouldn't even start properly without it. (just hung after start, without even making it to the THQ logo video.)

Edit #2: broke again, lol!

got out of game to edit this post, and to turn on AA in nvidia CP. it went back to the "won't even show THQ logo" mode. I reverted everything to the settings that were working, and now it's still not working. Boned, I guess. :/

I just want to thank the folks responsible for the Pure Faction patch for making it, it certainly helped me.

yes. much respect and gratitude to the creator(s)!

IMO this help thread could stand to be split into multiple threads.

RF1 separate from RF2
people having the "sub" bug vs. those having other bugs.
etc.

as it is, sry but I don't have the patience ATM to read 10 pages to find if anyone has a solution to my rig's particular issues. So... back to plugging away @ it for a few more mins, then time to give up. :( (and yeah, eventually I'll just try skipping the tut, but I anticipate it will just crash again some other way. + some mood would be nice. ;))

NebulaMods-digi
03-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Just noticed that one of the RF2 patch links in the FAQ was dead... I forgot to move a few files over after I switched servers. Everything should be back online now.

Alkpaz2
03-20-2011, 11:44 PM

----------

Excellent Fix Thanks!! :) (Windows 7 Pro 64bit, 24GB RAM, i7 980x, GTX480)

soviet_sharkey
04-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I am also getting 8mb issue in RF2 with patch, compatibility and admin anyone know any other fixes?

Chocolatelove67
04-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Have RF 1 on steam and so far no issues to speak off and using an Nvidia 8500 GT card with 256mb ram....

But I fogot that I have already got an installer file for both games off Direct 2 Drive a month or two back and didn't need to get it on steam... So deleted it. Oh well ... But the funny thing is no errors here.

aaol1
06-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Wait, RF1 works fine stock? Or have you already downloaded Pure?

Mine worked stock no problem, specs:

windows 7 64-bit
Nvidia GTS 250, 1g vram
4gig ram

MADDOGGE
06-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Mine worked stock no problem, specs:

windows 7 64-bit
Nvidia GTS 250, 1g vram
4gig ramGreat for you but for many if not most people on newer equipment the patching is necessary.

Also you can try launching the exe directly on RF2 bypassing the launcher altogether.

Zoid_GER
06-07-2011, 02:41 PM
I just bought Red Faction 2 on Steam and like seemingly everybody else, I can't run it.
When I try to launch it, I just get a black screen and the processor seems to work a lot. But nothing happens and I have to Ctrl-alt-del out of it.

I tried the patch, I tried to reduce my RAM, I tried the compatibility mode. Nothing changed.

I'm on Windows Vista Family Premium Edition,
AMD Thurion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 (2CPUs)
3GB RAM

got exactly the same problem now on my steam version. Anyway the retail works fine. Strange :confused:

LaptopNut
06-26-2011, 01:24 PM
I am in the Red Faction 1 tutorial (Steam) but no subtitles show up regardless of what resolution settings I use. Do subtitles show for everyone else?

Great, I just noticed guns either fire all by themselves or don't fire at all.

Edit: All problems disapear when I tried playing this within a Vmware virtual environment using Windows XP Pro along with the Pure faction patch / software. My gun now fires perfectly and everything is fine so far. So if you have bad luck like I did, perhaps try running RF1 or 2 from within a Vmware virtual environment.

bur
07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
I also have that same problem with RF 2 as some others. I applied the Steam patch and now the error message is gone but I only get a blank screen with high CPU usage. All I can do is hit CtrlAltDel to kill the process.

I tried running as admin, compatibility mode and all the other settings in the properties. Nothing helps. I also permantly assigned the program to one core to make sure it's not multi core related. I also tried renaming the intro movie's file names, nothing either.

So it seems thus far there's no known solution to this problem? Maybe it'd help if we knew what the people that have this problem have in common with their computers. It's not the RAM or Nvidia/ATI specific I think. But since it specifically says "DX10 not working" maybe that's the problem? If so, could there be a workaround like disabling it temporarily?

Athlon X4 945
HD 5770
4 GB DDR3
Win 7 x64

I know RF2 isn't supposed to be that much of a miss, but I'd still like to play it. If only to have played the whole series.

DjIXas
09-23-2011, 11:19 AM
So, has anyone been able to fixe the issue?

Applied patch, gives black screen.

EDIT: Fixed, you need to restore RedFaction.exe if you aptched it and patch only rf.exe

However, looks like it runs on 640x480 only and ignores settings.

Stressthesky
10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your effort, but none of these games will work for me. 32-bit Vista. So I give up. Waste of money.

setari666
10-16-2011, 02:35 AM
To get windowed mode for RF2 do I install PureFaction into the RF2 folder too?

thripston
10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
I had a small hiccup with it telling me my card wasn't supported, or something. I tried a 2nd time after doing something, not exactly sure what and I now get to the loading screen where it seems to hang.

Am I meant to install Pure Faction for RF2? The instructions at the start seemed to hint at that but I can't be sure.

Without any clear guideline I guessed it was the file: rf2.exe in the Common Files>Red Faction 2 folder I patch with that NebulaMods patch. No brainer I guess, though I was trying to patch the file in the SteamApps folder to start with.

Considering its £2.99 (POST FREE!) on ebay Valve can get stuffed, that's the last time I buy anything through Steam. Someone pointed out Valve were letting dodgy games onto Steam because theyre putting profits first, well they just lost my custom so well done on that business strategy morons.

Monster_user
10-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Someone pointed out Valve were letting dodgy games onto Steam because theyre putting profits first,

Uhm, and how should Valve keep dodgy games off of eBay? Its a world wide yard sale.

Should Valve go around to every yard sale and auction house in the country and make sure they are not selling "dodgy" games?

eBay is the one that is allowing dodgy games onto eBay.

thripston
10-19-2011, 05:22 AM
What are you talking about? I said Valve are letting dodgy games onto STEAM I didn't say they were letting dodgy games onto ebay.

Monster_user
10-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Sorry, must have been very tired. I severely misread your post.

MADDOGGE
10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Valve is not as you call it letting doggy products on Steam when it comes to the older games. They are duhhhhh, old games and may not run or run well on newer equipment or OS's without community patches and fixes. Programs are not forever.

It's for damn sure the developer or publisher are not going to invest any more money into these old games. I can not count the number of people that foolishly think that any game on Steam should have to be brought up to the standards of the newest releases. While this would be nice in a perfect world it ain't going to happen. Stop expecting games made 10-15 years ago to support all the things modern games support including screen resolution.

I look at steam partially as one of my sources of old games I can no longer buy retail. I fully expect there may be problems. If Steam sells them, I either have a rig that will play them native or usually someone has a fix or there is a source port that will run it on my current rig.

Stressthesky
10-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Valve is not as you call it letting doggy products on Steam when it comes to the older games. They are duhhhhh, old games and may not run or run well on newer equipment or OS's without community patches and fixes. Programs are not forever.

It's for damn sure the developer or publisher are not going to invest any more money into these old games. I can not count the number of people that foolishly think that any game on Steam should have to be brought up to the standards of the newest releases. While this would be nice in a perfect world it ain't going to happen. Stop expecting games made 10-15 years ago to support all the things modern games support including screen resolution.

I look at steam partially as one of my sources of old games I can no longer buy retail. I fully expect there may be problems. If Steam sells them, I either have a rig that will play them native or usually someone has a fix or there is a source port that will run it on my current rig.

And yet, Gog.com manages to do that just fine and for a cheaper price as well.

thripston
10-20-2011, 10:29 AM
No worries Monster. At least you didn't hit and run.

I'm running 32 bit XP with a Nvidia 9 series card (DX9.0c & Athlon 64 Dual Core 5600+). Is that still too advanced for RF2? I'd be suprised if it was.

No community fix has as yet got this game running for me btw. I tried the patch, tried lower graphics settings, not really sure what else I can do.

Spacebird77
10-23-2011, 02:04 PM
I ended up resolving the sub issue by blowing the hole in the front wall, as far from the sub as possible. Apparently the game felt it was taking damage blowing up the side wall.

My problem is in the Med Lab. I opted for stealth, Lab Coated my way ro the OR, but the conversation where I get handed the nano canister won't trigger. At all. Even after dancing around for 15 minutes real time.

sebarnolds
11-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Yes, at home, I have solved the problem of black screen, replacing "rf2.exe" by this one (http://www.mirorii.com/fichier/78/320473/rf2-sfx-exe.html) (created by Vdox). So Unrar (sfx) and replace rf2.exe in Steam install directory (for example : "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\red faction ii\").

Hi.

Thank you very much for the link. I tried all the patches on my GamersGate version and none worked: it removed the popup but I was left with a black screen and escape quit the game (no sound).

Finally, I had to take your exe and patch it (to remove the video memory popup) to make it work.

Seb

warmaster670
11-27-2011, 01:03 PM
So other people shouldnt be able to buy the game because some people cant run it?

So if i can run it fine, i shouldnt be allowed to buy it because other people arnt smart enough to look up whether an old game will run on tehre system?

If someone cant be bothered to look up older games like this to see if they will work on teh current computer, they should stop pc gaming as its to much for them.

warmaster670
11-27-2011, 01:04 PM
And yet, Gog.com manages to do that just fine and for a cheaper price as well.
Wow, GoG wraps there games up in a setup dosbox, good for them.

Monster_user
11-27-2011, 01:25 PM
If someone cant be bothered to look up older games like this to see if they will work on teh current computer, they should stop pc gaming as its to much for them.

How do you look up if a game will work with your system? I don't even know why it works with mine. You never know if they will work, until you try.

That said, I do have enough experience getting games to work, that I rarely get a game that I cannot make work.

MADDOGGE
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
And yet, Gog.com manages to do that just fine and for a cheaper price as well.GoG operates differently and sells largely DOS and Win95 games. Steam on the other hand is usually winXP and up, with some few win98 thrown in. Generally Steam games are 32 bit games with no nasty 16 bit surprises(installers/DRM) left buried in them to screw up compatibility on 64 bit systems.

GoG obviously has permission from the publishers and developers to do what is needed to get them running. This is obviously not something that Steam is allowed to do with the games they are allowed to sell. With Steam the publisher says, "sell as is, warts and all" because supposedly compatibility will handle any issues.

EchoTrios
12-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Even though its true that the unreasonable wants of some users for programmers to revamp all old games to the standards of modern releases is unreasonable...STEAM should respect its community (who pays them money) enough to at least make a game playable right from install...I shouldnt have to search out the most random $*** on the dregs of the internet to find a patch that I have to scan file by file for viruses...Steam is selling the game and I am paying money to play the game from install I dont want to have to do any programming myself no matter how easy it is to do...So my point is when I hit play that is exactly what should happen...

If you sell a game you should have the respect to make sure it works on new systems or put warnings "Caution: This game was written for operating system XXX and may not run properly or at all on your current operating system." if that had been in the fine print somewhere I wouldnt have bought the game...Id have watched a walk through and only bought RF:G

Monster_user
12-10-2011, 09:44 AM
For those running Windows Vista, and Windows 7, have you installed DirectX 9?

Again that is largely unreasonable. Although, application compatibility could be made clearer.

I agree that the fine print was not clear, but compatibility issues were in the fine print. It is expected that all gamers read the System Requirements and release date before purchasing, and be able to discern if the requirements are within the range of their new computer.

System Requirements.
Operating System: Windows® 2000/XP
DirectX Version: DirectX 8
Processor: Pentium II 400 MHz or greater
Memory: 64 MB RAM
Video Card: 3D Graphics Accelerator Card (8MB)
Sound: Direct X Certified audio hardware

A game that requires Windows XP, but does not list Vista or Windows 7, may have compatibility issues with more recent operating systems.

A game that requires a DirectX 8 card may have compatibility issues with DirectX 10 cards or higher.

A game that lists a Pentium II, with 64mb of RAM, is a game that was designed for much older technology. A lot has changed since 2001, and functionality is not guaranteed on all hardware.

Yes, you are expected to know this.

If I had seen those warnings, I would still have bought the game. Because there are always tricks, and techniques to getting a game to work.

1: Try compatibility modes, such as Windows XP SP2 mode.
2: Ensure that you have the WinXP DLLs for older DirectX softare.
3: Try disabling an entire core of your processor, older games hate multi-threaded, and multi-core processors.
4: Disable Anti-Aliasing, and other quality features, they often break compatibility.
5: Enable Vsync. Some problems come from running the game faster than it was intended to, such as over 120FPS. Vsync keeps the frames down to 60-70 FPS.
6: Try disabling multi-threading & multi-shader core options in your GPU's control panel.

cybertario
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM

And for those like me who try to run the game in a netbook with NO DRIVE AT ALL????? (by the way, RF1 runs quite well from scratch on a dell 1020)

Men, from now on, I stick with GOG on all clasics...

:(:(

DirtyHarry50
12-27-2011, 05:56 AM
And for those like me who try to run the game in a netbook with NO DRIVE AT ALL????? (by the way, RF1 runs quite well from scratch on a dell 1020)

Men, from now on, I stick with GOG on all clasics...

:(:(

Sounds like a plan wise one. I love GoG for classics whenever possible. Maybe at some point they'll release fixed up versions of the first two Red Faction games, who knows? They keep releasing new old gems on a regular basis.

I have a DX11 card so seeing the caution about RF2 and DX10 I just skipped that one. As fate would have it, that is the one game in the series that I actually played sometime around its release. I liked it myself and remember having fun with it.

I'm looking forward to RF1, etc. and have picked all of them up now. It's nice to know purefaction exists if I run into any issues with RF1 or want to play MP with it.

Personally, I'm fine with Steam carrying older stuff so long as they include disclaimers about what it is known to work with or not work with. Then I can decide for myself if I am willing to track down fixes, take a chance it may never work, etc. I can also hope there's a GoG alternative so I don't need to bother but even they don't promise all of their titles work with Win7, although they are good about making it clear what is officially supported on Win7 and what is not.

Monster_user
12-27-2011, 07:20 PM
so long as they include disclaimers about what it is known to work with or not work with.

How? What is it known to not work with?

Dual Cores? Windows Vista? DirectX 10 cards? Works fine here.

I am all for making compatibility issues more clear, but how do you identify compatibility issues?

DirtyHarry50
12-28-2011, 03:48 AM
How? What is it known to not work with?

Dual Cores? Windows Vista? DirectX 10 cards? Works fine here.

I am all for making compatibility issues more clear, but how do you identify compatibility issues?

It's called testing, otherwise known as QA. I expect when a publisher first releases something here that they specify what it does and does not work with at that point in time so that info can be posted on the store page for a game. Beyond that as a game ages, I understand newer systems means compatibility is an unknown. I accept that and make purchase decisions accordingly, typically after checking these forums and asking people if it works or not, etc.

Monster_user
12-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Sorry, I must have been confused.

After 11 pages of expectations that Valve/Steam should do ongoing QA tests on all games released for prior Operating Systems, I did not know how to take your post.

I wouldn't expect a typical disclaimer, just the normal "System Requirements".

DirtyHarry50
12-28-2011, 10:39 PM
I understand Valve is simply a retailer for everything on Steam other than their own Valve games. So naturally, aside of Valve games it falls to the respective publishers to provide as much info as possible about system requirements, known issues, etc.

I do understand what you're saying I think. For the most part one needs to go by system requirements and use some sense, check the forums, etc. to find out about issues if there are any. It's always been a part of PC gaming to need to do this and to sometimes fiddle with stuff to get it working right.

Anyway, I was very happy to see the old RF games come to Steam because I had never played the first and now I can. It is especially cool to read some people still play that online. Hopefully I will get around to it (huge backlog) soon enough to join some games. :-)

Tsjanith
01-12-2012, 11:34 PM
I am also having the problem of a blank screen on startup. I have tried every fix listed here and no dice. If anyone has the answer now, I would HUGELY appreciate if you would disclose. I have been wanting to play this game on pc for ages now, but the fates seem to want to thwart that desire.

Silent-Hunter
02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Is there a fix for the grnade switching bug in RF2? It switches so fast, that all I can do is let go of the next grenade button, and hope it stops on the one I want. It switches so fast, the grenade icons are a blur!

Zoid_GER
02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
I have the same issue wie RF2 and greneade switching. I believe this is caused because of the high framerate.

BinyahBinyah
02-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey guys,

I was a huge RF1 player back in the day, and I guess you can say I'm feeling a sense of nostalgia because I just picked up Armageddon today. I've held off on buying it because of the mixed review and there were too many games on my plate.

With that say, I want to know if RF1 online is still alive and kicking, is there at least a few servers on and/or any modded servers.

This will also give me a bigger excuse to have a second boot for Windows XP on my system.

Thanks in advance.

Zoid_GER
02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Yes, RF1 is alive in multiplayer.

See live game tracker here: game tracker (http://rfcy.bplaced.net/rfcyrus/tracker.html)

You dont have to boot XP, you can also play it on modern systems with the purefaction patch. Get it on purefaction.org (http://purefaction.org/) ;)

clovfm
02-24-2012, 04:23 PM

----------

Hello, the patch doesn't work on rfII. My screen became black and that's all. Help me please!

Zoid_GER
02-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Hello, the patch doesn't work on rfII. My screen became black and that's all. Help me please!

hey,

i posted this in another post:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2511187
black screen issue fix

clovfm
02-25-2012, 02:43 AM
hey,

i posted this in another post:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2511187
black screen issue fix

Thanks a lot. It works!

Majorfoley
03-10-2012, 10:59 PM
hey guys ive installed pure faction to my red faction folder but im getting an error that 8like this
direct3dcreate failed, it s asking for directx 8 but i thought directx 11 wouldve solved the issue?

Spike_rocks
07-22-2012, 12:47 PM
If people are still getting the DirectX 8 error with pure faction change between Normal, Windowed and Stretched. For example select Normal then launch. Then select windowed then launch. Then Select Stretched, launch and play. That worked for me.

Btw, this post should be sticky or what they now are calling it.

C4rn463
07-22-2012, 08:15 PM
My RF1 has no text(npcs messages for example) when i play with my native resolution 1920x1200. when i play on 1024x768 the texts appears normaly.

i did installed pure faction.
is this normal? there is any workaround?

Andreson
08-12-2012, 12:03 PM
2'nd link broken.

RionaaM
09-11-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't have any CD on my DVD drive, but still get the "Please insert the CD" in Red Faction 2. Is there any fix, or am I screwed?

Never mind, solved it by mounting a virtual drive with Daemon Tools. Seems the game won't run without a CD or DVD drive on the machine, really strange.

beingtheduke
09-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I do have a disk drive, and I am still getting this error. Any fix inside Steam?

beingtheduke
09-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Just saw top thread. You can not have any disk in your drive for it to work.

Shifroval
09-12-2012, 02:20 PM
For those who still need this file (mfpatchsteam.exe), I've uploaded it
http://www.mediafire.com/?h36qu6nttmpu3z0

CannonGoose
09-13-2012, 01:54 AM
My RF1 has no text(npcs messages for example) when i play with my native resolution 1920x1200. when i play on 1024x768 the texts appears normaly.

i did installed pure faction.
is this normal? there is any workaround?

I've got this bug as well. Is there no fix for it?

mitchmack_1000
09-23-2012, 02:51 AM
my bad to post on an old page, but iv got the 'insert cd' problem, buuut i don't have a cd drive connected to my pc, its to old to fit in my new pc.
any idea what do?

Andreson
11-04-2012, 12:53 PM
my bad to post on an old page, but iv got the 'insert cd' problem, buuut i don't have a cd drive connected to my pc, its to old to fit in my new pc.
any idea what do?

Try to find a cracked exe or no CD on the net.

Zoid_GER
11-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Pure Faction (http://www.purefaction.org)

The purefaction.org url is currently not working.
You can still get the last pure faction patch here:

http://www.factionfiles.com/ff.php?action=file&id=2786

uzzbuzz77
03-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Hey guys,

My game keeps crashing after the cutscene where the main character is running out of the complex. I tried changing resolution, and compatibility modes, but nothing works. I'm using Windows 7, GTX 680, 16gb ram, i7.